PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 FO poll: Talis or Rod?

_Nue
Jan 21, 2013, 07:14 PM
I'm just curious as to the ratio of players that use a Talis or Rod compare to each other. For me, as FO, I use Talis literally 99% of the time, the 1% is when I use a rod for completing certain COs. I find using rods too much of a burden, since with Talis, you can throw and cast anywhere. The only pro I find in rods is that they can be more powerful than talis.

I did not include TE in this because this poll is strictly FO. However, feel free to post what you usually use for TE and whatnot.

UnLucky
Jan 21, 2013, 07:35 PM
Rod, mainly, because of the damage gap. It becomes even more apparent with equivalent rares. I'm here to cast techs, not put on a laser light show.

But I do prefer the Talis-only COs over Rod-only ones, since I need my peashooter sidearm. If I can switch freely, Rod all the way, no question.

If I were a Techer and didn't have a good all-class Rod (I don't think there really is one?), then I'd use a Talis cause Wands suck ass for casting and the stat gap isn't as bad. But since I'm not taking Wand Gear, there's absolutely no reason to main Techer. And subbing anything but Force as a Techer is ludicrous.

BIG OLAF
Jan 21, 2013, 07:38 PM
Oh, we had this thread before. If memory serves, it devolved into a mud-slinging elitist fest. Hope this one turns out better.

EvilMag
Jan 21, 2013, 07:40 PM
No it won't sadly.

GuardianGirth
Jan 21, 2013, 08:24 PM
Talis will outclass rods anytime holding your position isn't an issue. Other than that, rods will put talis' to shame.

Totori
Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 PM
Rods the damage is much better.

The Walrus
Jan 21, 2013, 08:54 PM
Rods yo

Syklo
Jan 21, 2013, 09:05 PM
My only issue with talis is having to jump after throwing a card to cancel that downtime if i don't need to cast anything.

Other than that, mostly talis.
Rods if i need to get physica-
Oh wait, I play techer.
WANDS!

Gama
Jan 21, 2013, 09:28 PM
talis needs some work on to be usefull, anyway rod wins.

also about wands, theyre fun with the gear :p

Galax
Jan 21, 2013, 09:50 PM
Talis for fun, Rod for serious fighting.

Temprus
Jan 21, 2013, 09:55 PM
Wands. What can I say... I'm a techer. ^.^

D-Inferno
Jan 21, 2013, 10:03 PM
Rods. Talis I find to be a liability; when you need to use a normal attack, you often will have your card floating in a place you don't want it to be, which can mess up your technique.

Coatl
Jan 21, 2013, 10:29 PM
FO/FI makes talis worth it.

Shiyo
Jan 21, 2013, 11:06 PM
Talis is tons more fun and hard to use, I only use rod when I feel like face rolling things with 0 effort. If talis didn't exist I couldn't play force.

Magus_84
Jan 22, 2013, 12:18 AM
I'd kill for a hotbar option to make a thrown card float as a tech platform/kill the current floating card.

So like...instead of throw -> cast -> card stays out and throw -> cast -> TPS cancel. You have a button to hit to do those instead.

I'd use it even if it took up a technique slot, but I'm godawful at using Talis.

Syklo
Jan 22, 2013, 12:38 AM
I'd kill for a hotbar option to make a thrown card float as a tech platform/kill the current floating card.

So like...instead of throw -> cast -> card stays out and throw -> cast -> TPS cancel. You have a button to hit to do those instead.

I'd use it even if it took up a technique slot, but I'm godawful at using Talis.
New Force (or TE) skill: Card Detonation
Minor AoE damage, no cool down.
:D

Karmadon
Jan 22, 2013, 12:43 AM
Talis "utility" isn't worth the loss of tech attack power. The only thing I would use it for is if I really wanted to support some people at a distance, but I don't think it's worth the slot on my palette.

Rods by far.

MetalDude
Jan 22, 2013, 12:53 AM
Talis basically makes Samegid (or any field technic like Zondeel) usable anywhere. I use Rods when that's not necessary (Rafoie).

_Nue
Jan 22, 2013, 01:03 AM
Minor AoE damage, no cool down.

Being a talis user, it would be really cool to if there really was a talis gear.

Zyrusticae
Jan 22, 2013, 01:04 AM
Gawd, the argument in the other thread about whether or not talis are superior to rods was hilarious. So much of it was complete bullshit, too! Just so much funny in there. It was also kind of sad, frankly.

At any rate, I stick to rod. It's just so much more intuitive. However, I do prefer the wand for its casting animation...

Eman2417
Jan 22, 2013, 01:12 AM
You prefer a slower animation?....
Anyways, I pick rod because I like casting techs from where I stand and not having to worry about the talis being everywhere.
The small damage difference isn't a concern either.

Rob2003ert
Jan 22, 2013, 01:23 AM
If we're talking maximum efficiency you should be using both as necessary, it's delusional to think one is better than the other in every situation. As for personal preference I prefer Talis, feels 100x more fun and satisfying to use, spells like Rafoie are incredibly boring but even manually aiming ones like Foei to take out lines of mobs can't compare for fun factor for me.

Syklo
Jan 22, 2013, 01:53 AM
Being a talis user, it would be really cool to if there really was a talis gear.
Personally, i would LOOOOOOVE to see gunSLASH gear.

Sp-24
Jan 22, 2013, 02:00 AM
Minor AoE damage, 60 seconds cool down.

More liek.

Anyway, rods. The few situations where Talis honestly is more effective don't make up for those when it's just a liability. Plus, Grants and Zonde don't benefit from the "cast from the card" gimmick, and Zan is even hurt by it.

Syklo
Jan 22, 2013, 02:08 AM
More liek.

Anyway, rods. The few situations where Talis honestly is more effective don't make up for those when it's just a liability. Plus, Grants and Zonde don't benefit from the "cast from the card" gimmick, and Zan is even hurt by it.
By minor i mean WEAKER or EQUAL to a regular talis hit damage.

60 seconds? poison ignition is quicker, and much stronger >.>

Oh well, it's not like SEGA implements this unless someone suggests it

Zyrusticae
Jan 22, 2013, 02:29 AM
You prefer a slower animation?....
When it looks as absolutely badass as the wand pointing at the target and watching it evaporate under my incredible power, yes! Absolutely!

There's just nothing quite like it. Using the rod like a gun just doesn't have the same appeal.

Alenoir
Jan 22, 2013, 03:35 AM
Rods, because I like to run up and whack them too.

Which automatically means wands, too.

Zipzo
Jan 22, 2013, 03:51 AM
Just wanted to be in this thread. Felt warm and fuzzy.

Personally find Talis to have more compelling usage potential when it comes to "throwing" your spells, but Rods are easily the more popular choice because there's no complication. You just use a spell or bonk your enemy on the head, no thought really necessary.

Touka
Jan 22, 2013, 03:52 AM
Rod but Talis is useful for Zondeel casting.

Inazuma
Jan 22, 2013, 01:43 PM
Anyone who only uses rod or talis and never uses the other is doing it wrong. If you need to cast a tech from a distance, use a talis. Otherwise, you are better off using a rod. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

UnLucky
Jan 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
FO/FI makes talis worth it.

You mean the massive multiplier on your total damage that makes any minor upgrade that much better? The build that widens even the smallest gap in stats to be the ultimate differentiator? The skilltree that totally relies on your character's relative position to the enemy, not the origin of your attack?

What about that makes Talis worth it in any possible way?

Yes, let's take the utility of of the Talis and its strengths in hitting far off enemies with AoEs to lock ourselves in a constant, weaker Brave Stance.

Shadowth117
Jan 22, 2013, 03:41 PM
Lets put it this way. Anyone ever seen the FO TAers in videos EVER go with talises? If you did, it certainly wasn't for an extended period of time or the person probably wasn't doing it right (assuming they aren't purposely using them for a challenge etc.). They're not as powerful by a pretty wide margin and their utility is limited.

Now... outside of min/maxy things I'm not going to argue much for them because people are welcome to play the game how they like. They certainly aren't generally efficient for TA is all I can say.

MetalDude
Jan 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
Positioning tends to be covered by how well everyone coordinates in a TA, so the need for talis utility drops off a lot. Enemies generally don't spawn in clusters convenient enough for a talis Zondeel to capture all of them without having Territory Burst on (and nobody runs TE for TAs) and clusters in hallways are much better disposed of with Foie anyways.

A talis is great fun during a PSE burst though, especially with TB on. It's a very efficient way for the group to obliterate masses of enemies.

Syklo
Jan 22, 2013, 05:43 PM
You mean the massive multiplier on your total damage that makes any minor upgrade that much better? The build that widens even the smallest gap in stats to be the ultimate differentiator? The skilltree that totally relies on your character's relative position to the enemy, not the origin of your attack?

What about that makes Talis worth it in any possible way?

Yes, let's take the utility of of the Talis and its strengths in hitting far off enemies with AoEs to lock ourselves in a constant, weaker Brave Stance.
One example: Gigrants on wonda rear.

Not defending talis users, just sayin'
Wands + gear all the waaay