PDA

View Full Version : Running PSO2 on a Laptop

SporadicInanity
Jan 23, 2013, 05:29 AM
Hey all. I'm waiting for the NA release of PSO2 (if it is ever announced) and
I'm wondering just how CPU intensive this game gets even on lowest settings. I'm a minimalist with my computer and my specs are pretty outdated overall. Some games run perfectly even though diagnostic programs like Can You Run It? tell me otherwise. I don't know if anybody has heard of it but I could run Raiderz just fine with medium-high graphics and resolution and such and that is a similar 3rd person action-RPG to PSO2. Of course, expect PSO2 to be more of a hassle to run than a free-to-play game, so I'm wondering if my laptop is up to snuff. I suck at listing specs and I don't even understand half of it but I'll try my best to list enough for you to work with:

AMD Athlon P320 Dual Core Processor
ATI Radeon HD 4200 Series video card
3.8 RAM

Also, please don't refer me to that Character Customiser thing that you can run a performance test on. I have a friend with a strictly better laptop who ran that and everything within the performance test worked perfectly and looked beautifully then he got the lowest result in the end, essentially saying his computer critically fails at running the real thing. I think this test is full of it.

Yes, my laptop isn't good and whatever. I just want to be able to play this game and I'm wondering if I should really be getting my hopes up for this game (if it ever releases in NA) or if I could put my excitement to rest.

EXPFULL
Jan 23, 2013, 05:46 AM
If you're waiting on the NA/EU/BS version of the game, why not try out the JP version just to see if it runs well on the laptop you've got? It's free, easy to set up, and you never know, you might enjoy yourself!

Halikus
Jan 23, 2013, 07:08 AM
Im afraid to say that you will have issues running the game with any decent graphics or resolution with that setup. Id say you will have framerate issues if you try running with anything over minimum spec with a lowish res.

Syklo
Jan 23, 2013, 07:14 AM
I suggest at least trying simple shaders rather than default standard.

The difference is huge.

Since the update though, my frame rate in VFS seems to have improved :O

Saffran
Jan 23, 2013, 07:27 AM
I have a slightly better card (4350) and a slightly better proc and I play in lowish settings. I'm pretty sure they're not the lowest so chances are, you will be able to run it, but the only way to know for sure would be to test it.
Just install the JP version and try to play - it's going to be time consuming (several GB download and stuff) but at least you'll know for certain.

Kion
Jan 23, 2013, 07:35 AM
I had an AMD e350. And this game didn't run well on it at all. If you set the graphics shaders to low the game isn't very graphic intensive. Game runs fine on my ultrabook with intel graphics.

Lower the resolution and the shaders and see if that helps.

May0
Jan 23, 2013, 08:22 AM
4200? blegh :barf:

Maybe have a computer for business and one for gaymen? I use a laptop for gaming but mines a Qosmio x505. Its served me well considering its running a 360M.

I would of gotten a desktop originally but I was stuck with dial up until 2011 so I had to have something more mobile. If you do have the choice get a desktop. For about $500-600 you could get an entry level gaymen PC that will play everything this generation at normal settings and everything in the next 2 to 3 years with respectable settings.

If you're technically adept you can also upgrade desktops relatively easily.

Syklo
Jan 23, 2013, 08:10 PM
For the record, I use a Radeon HD 6770M.

Yes, switchable graphics system but some third-party tweaks helped out there.
Still glitchy every now and then (AT LEAST I CAN PLAY MINECRAFT NOW!)

But yeah, I can play just fine.

KumachiJr
Jan 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
At least better than mine.

intel(r) HD graphics family for a video card..

It's a living hell, playing in ruins and lillipa TA..
Other than those two, it runs just fine..

slammu31
Sep 18, 2013, 10:45 AM
Sorry to super necro this but im sure someone will stumble upon it and wonder the same question. For anyone who reads this in the future.

Ati radeon HD mobility 4200 - 256mb
3.8 Gigs of ram
2.2Ghz CPU dual core
Resolution 1366x768
It's an acer Aspire 5552

Medium render settings, textures high, simple shaders, Ati power plan on balanced.

I get a solid 45+ FPS on any field or big emergency code boss fight.
Ruins pillars (the ones where you get those bulb things off the monuments) will sometimes drop me to 30 fps due to all the light effects it shoots off, Idk why.

But anyways anyone wondering, yes a laptop can run it pretty well with those specs. It will look like PSU. No complaints.

Overlord Zenon
Sep 18, 2013, 12:04 PM
you could try the benchmark program for PSO2, but Id try to jap version
http://pso2.jp/benchmark/download/

also:
Windows OS:
- XP SP3 (32-bit versions only)
- Vista (all versions)
- 7 (all versions)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 (equivalent or better)
RAM:
- 1.5GB (XP)
- 2GB (Vista/7)
GPU: 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800GT or AMD Radeon 2900XT (equivalent or better)
HDD Space: 20GB (originally had specified 8GB)
Monitor Resolution: PSO2's minimum supported video resolution is 1280x720 (true 720p). You must have your computer's video resolution set to output at at least this resolution for PSO2 to play.

NeverDT
Sep 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
don't do it

it sucks

Gama
Sep 18, 2013, 02:35 PM
i hope this helps you.

currently i have a intel i7740q first gen
4gb ram ddr3
and a nvidia geforce 425gt m 1 gb
-------------------------------------------------------------------
usually i play pso2 with battery saving mode to prevent the cpu to overheat and thus overheat the gpu, so battery saving mode (i set the processor to run at 70% max)
allows me to play the game with shaders on, but i usualy disable antialiasing since my gfx card isnt powerfull. and usualy i turn the extra shader features on if i wante a better screenshot and then turn them off.

in your case i would try:

using a balanced power plan
using basic shaders
using mid or low textures "try it and see if the performance diference is meaningfull"
change max lod chars to 12, or decrease it to the minimum if necessary.
use 30fps instead of 60fps
disable any unneeded aplication hogging on the processor or gpu

if by some divine reason youre able to standard shaders with decent fps "30" i would advise you turning the shadows and reflections to 1, textures to medium, and disable antialiasing, blur, lightshaft, and limit lod chars to 12,

i would say 60 fps is off the question to either basic or standard shaders in your case since it doubles the strain in your gfx card.

mess with it, you should be able to find a good quality/performance ratio.

GL!

also i use a custom build laptop cooler "2nd prototype" to keep it cool. most alptop coolers are so inneficient it ticks me off.

so i woudl advise you to get one if you dont have one yet, and check if the airflow is good.

dark maaz
Sep 18, 2013, 09:06 PM
The 4200 I dont think supports the game very well, I have a desktop with it and the video card crashes every 5 minutes while playing with almost everything turned down and when it crashes the game detects something and ends.

locafoca
Sep 19, 2013, 11:51 AM
Rather than making a new thread, I guess I'll just ask here.

I've been playing with Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.

The game runs okay with simple shaders at 1024x600, but my FPS drops to basically 0 during MPAs, certain weapon switches (mine or others), and that stupid desert/quarry dust storm effect.

It seems like a lot of people tend to run integrated graphics, so I'll ask here: is there any way to make those effect play more nicely with my setup?