PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 on Consoles

Googlebonker
Jan 24, 2013, 10:27 PM
Is anyone else surprised that PSO2 hasn't been released and/or announced for any consoles? With all of the success they've had in Japan, why wouldn't they broaden their market to include the micro transactions they could gain from console users? Is it because of what they ran into with PSU?

Want to use a Wii U screen and stylus to scratch off a card?

terrell707
Jan 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
Is anyone else surprised that PSO2 hasn't been released and/or announced for any consoles? With all of the success they've had in Japan, why wouldn't they broaden their market to include the micro transactions they could they could gain from console users? Is it because of what they ran into with PSU?

Wan to use a Wii U screen and stylus to scratch off a card?

Coming out for Vita and Smartphones. Oh yeah theres been a lot of topics like this one already........so here's some aloe to help with all the burns that are about to come your way. May want to duck and cover :-D

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 24, 2013, 10:30 PM
consoles aren't as big in japan and they have to pay money for every patch they do. not worth their time.

...oh and you suck

Vintasticvin
Jan 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Oi oi it was nice knowing you and I hope they leave some kind of DnA to revive you with. Warning aside I'm not shocked at all theres no console release save for Vita and one must know there are royalty fees and limitations to put up with which was one of man reasons the previous generation of Phantasy Star ceased to be.

And for Christ's sake people keep it clean and keep the profanity to a minimum X_X

Anon_Fire
Jan 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
After playing PSO2 since the Alpha2, not that surprised at all.

The Walrus
Jan 24, 2013, 10:55 PM
I'd prefer the series to stay away from consoles as much as possible.

Vintasticvin
Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 PM
I'd prefer the series to stay away from consoles as much as possible.

^Agrees with wha she says unless its a continuation of PSZ :D

gigawuts
Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 PM
Being that they've said they don't have plans for consoles at all, no, I'm not.

Zipzo
Jan 24, 2013, 11:37 PM
Um, no, not surprised in the slightest.

Alisha
Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 PM
i think its a matter of laziness. ever notice how the stuff its ported to has touch control methods?

Googlebonker
Jan 25, 2013, 12:07 AM
I'm talking about money, not just all the features they could add into other versions of the game. If you have a great product that people are responding so well to, why not expand your market even further than you originally planned? Isn't part of the point of this type of game to make money through microtransactions?

Kous
Jan 25, 2013, 12:09 AM
Not this thread again, and yes money wise, it would be a good idea, because about know anything that has PSO2 on it will be bought

Klypto
Jan 25, 2013, 12:11 AM
Free to play MMO is somewhat new to the console market, and console makers have been a bit withdrawn from the f2p model but I could see it happening with PSO2 in the future.

May0
Jan 25, 2013, 12:29 AM
Consoles as we know them are merely dumbed down PCs as they are now. If the xbox 720 and the PS4 are basically the same with a few new pieces of hardware for next gen they're sunk. They've already tried to establish that they're more multimedia machines rather than gaming machines. They need to expand on that and be more computer like. Otherwise they'll be beaten by smart phones and other technology that does what they do except better.

While I'm sure it pains some here to hear this, the merciful lord Gayben at valve has the right idea with his "steam box". I don't know if it will work on the selling floor but its good to see someone trying something different. The most recent episode of the game overthinker touches on this a bit

Kion
Jan 25, 2013, 12:56 AM
Xbox 720 is rumored to have 8 cores at 1.6GHz, 8GB of memory and a gpu running at 800Mhz. PC part prices have come down over the last generation, so it seems like you might as well skip on the console and build a pc anyways.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 25, 2013, 01:27 AM
only reason to get consoles nowadays is for the few games that don't make it to PC. This is slowly becoming a select few IPs that are console exclusive. As the trend continues we'll likely see consoles become less prominent and eventually fall to the wayside. Even fighting games are starting to become common on PC, where dlc and patches are a bit easier to administer (once again, no/fewer fees to the service provider) and more fluid game play on even entry level gaming PCs.

A lot of people I know mainly use their consoles for netflix and only rarely for gaming.

RedRaz0r
Jan 25, 2013, 01:30 AM
How about NO.

/thread.

SociableTyrannosaur
Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 AM
^ Would you say...he's BONKERS?

EvilMag
Jan 25, 2013, 02:02 AM
You know what? I see these petitions to show Sega our support for the game and other things but why hasn't there been one for a Game Boy version of PSO2? Seriously wtf guys.

Kion
Jan 25, 2013, 02:53 AM
You know what? I see these petitions to show Sega our support for the game and other things but why hasn't there been one for a Game Boy version of PSO2? Seriously wtf guys.

You sir, have earned your internets today.

Cagedtaytay
Jan 25, 2013, 02:59 AM
No. Stop making this thread people.

Cyclon
Jan 25, 2013, 06:39 AM
only reason to get consoles nowadays is for the few games that don't make it to PC. This is slowly becoming a select few IPs that are console exclusive. As the trend continues we'll likely see consoles become less prominent and eventually fall to the wayside. Even fighting games are starting to become common on PC, where dlc and patches are a bit easier to administer (once again, no/fewer fees to the service provider) and more fluid game play on even entry level gaming PCs.

A lot of people I know mainly use their consoles for netflix and only rarely for gaming.
This is more complicated if you're a nintendo fan though. On that matter, I find it funny how, as time goes on, people are trying harder and harder to convince themselves that Zelda games aren't worth playing.

Otherwise if you have a small group of friends to play with regularly, console local multiplayer is still the best. This is especially true for fighting games, so wether or not they're on PC too is unimportant to me.

So, uh, am I surprised...? No.

Angelo
Jan 25, 2013, 06:43 AM
only reason to get consoles nowadays is for the few games that don't make it to PC.

Few? You mean like 90% of all Japanese IPs?

I don't really play many western games. I got this laptop solely for PSO2.

Husq
Jan 25, 2013, 06:51 AM
consoles aren't as big in japan and they have to pay money for every patch they do. not worth their time.
This might change, patches on nintendo eshop are free for devs, so I guess sony and MS will follow soon making it free. What i'm not sure is, if they have to go though quality checks first before they are allowed to release patches. Obviously If they do, it will just slow everything down for people on the PC version.
Simple multiplayer games like monhun or CoD works on consoles because the game doesn't change over time, but something like pso2, that keeps evolving, is tough to pull off on consoles, unless it has huge and steady financial backing over its lifecycle.

edit: actually i think nintendo's free patching offer for devs, is only for developers publishing titles themselves on eshop. Not 100% sure.

Sierhiet
Jan 25, 2013, 07:26 AM
Not surprised. It was a major contributor to the slow content issue in previous installments.

BIG OLAF
Jan 25, 2013, 07:41 AM
Want to use a Wii U screen and stylus to scratch off a card?

No. I don't want to use the Wii U for anything except fireplace kindling.

Ithildin
Jan 25, 2013, 07:53 AM
If you want to play on a console, go and play a console game. Monster Hunter for example. It is a far better game than Sega has come up with for years.

Kaziel
Jan 25, 2013, 08:11 AM
The Vita version's not even out yet-- better make another console thread!

Googlebonker
Jan 25, 2013, 11:34 AM
One thing I'm considering is Angry Birds. A goofy little iPhone app and its characters have sequels, a PC game, the XBox360 trilogy, toys, candy, and apparel.

If you're in this to make money and your product was well-received or received in a manner that exceeded even geeky fanboys' expectations, why not make as much money as possible?

Of course, we are talking about the SEGA that broke up PSU into three sets of servers and then paid seemingly MUCH more attention to one set than the other two.

The Walrus
Jan 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
You're comparing quite possibly the most popular casual game series ever to a F2P MMO. Angry Birds is also a whole hell of a lot simpler to port.

Ryo
Jan 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
No. I don't want to use the Wii U for anything except fireplace kindling.

Why? What's so bad about the Wii U?

Lumpen Thingy
Jan 25, 2013, 12:45 PM
I don't know either you can use the pro controller for most games just fine

The Walrus
Jan 25, 2013, 01:07 PM
Personally I like the gamepad too but that's just me

blace
Jan 25, 2013, 01:20 PM
Could always mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yHfQ0mNbOA

EvilMag
Jan 25, 2013, 01:27 PM
The Wii U pro controller imo is a lot better than the 360 controller. I really hope people are working on drivers to use it for the PC.