PDA

View Full Version : Western Made games that you'd like a Japanese developer to make

ShinMaruku
Jan 25, 2013, 03:35 PM
Mass Effect - High school Edition - Atlus

Or my personal favorite: World of Warcraft by Hideki Kamiya. http://www.hotbloodedgaming.com/forum/images/smilies/Kappa.png

Sinue_v2
Jan 25, 2013, 04:15 PM
Fallout: Tokyo

And no, that's not a troll. I'm picturing something along the lines of a bit of Desert Punk mixed with some Romance of the Three Kingdoms inspired storyline with a heavy dose of weird. Especially around Akihabara district. Also, leave Bethesda or Black Isles in charge of oversight/lore and game engine.

Honestly, there's not many Japanese developers who I see as relevant anymore, at least none who I would trust to remake/sequelize a western game. The few who are still relevant to games do better making their own stuff in their own unique style... such as Platinum with the Bayonetta series, or Atlus with... well... almost everything they do. I similarly couldn't see any western development studios being able to take over what they do successfully.

But Fallout in Japan made by the people who know Japan best? Yeah, that'd work for me. Same thing with a Fallout set in London. I couldn't see anyone but a UK based dev team doing it. It's harder and less genuine when you try to skewer a culture and project a future for it when you're not intimiately knowledgeable of the nuances of it.

NoiseHERO
Jan 25, 2013, 04:20 PM
fable?

Retehi
Jan 25, 2013, 04:35 PM
Team Fortress 2 by Capcom.

Otherwise known as Team Fortress EX, where Blu and Red fight one another with cards. Or as a fighter, that'd be hilariously awesome.

ShinMaruku
Jan 25, 2013, 04:48 PM
I still think Mass effect:High school edition would be interesting. You may think it's a troll but Atlus can do it well.

Polly
Jan 25, 2013, 05:08 PM
I can't think of a single western franchise that I'd want in the hands of a Japanese company. Japan has seemed largely lost this generation with either sticking to what they do all the time because, hey that still flies in Japan, or taking odd stabs at western designs and not really getting WHY those designs work and just implementing them all willy-nilly. (Resident Evil 6 would be my choice for top offender off the top of my head.)

Japan just doesn't seem as relevant in the west as it used to and I think that's largely because gaming has become such a mainstream hobby here, and western developers have stepped their game up in creating solid gameplay experiences that are either original or have evolved familiar ideas in new and interesting ways. While Japanese design, both from a gameplay standpoint and aesthetics, appeal to many of us because we grew up with it, the alternatives that have been formed in the west appeal more broadly out of familiarity and evolution of ideas.

In my own opinion, due to my exposure and increased enjoyment in western developed games, the tired and traditional way Japan insists on doing things doesn't make them quite as relevant to me anymore. It'd be hard for me to look at any western-developed franchise I enjoy thrust in the hands of a Japanese developer and not think of it being at serious risk of taking huge leaps backward.

ShinMaruku
Jan 25, 2013, 05:24 PM
I'd trust platinum games. Japan's real fault is they were not ready for the next gen dump and they are too entrenched in their own market but the ones who do shine, SHINE
Atlus,From Software,Team Ninja,Konami and Platinum could really make some good games. And lets be honest ass creed by Kojima Productions would be great.

Retehi
Jan 25, 2013, 05:25 PM
I can't think of a single western franchise that I'd want in the hands of a Japanese company. Japan has seemed largely lost this generation with either sticking to what they do all the time because, hey that still flies in Japan, or taking odd stabs at western designs and not really getting WHY those designs work and just implementing them all willy-nilly. (Resident Evil 6 would be my choice for top offender off the top of my head.)

Japan just doesn't seem as relevant in the west as it used to and I think that's largely because gaming has become such a mainstream hobby here, and western developers have stepped their game up in creating solid gameplay experiences that are either original or have evolved familiar ideas in new and interesting ways. While Japanese design, both from a gameplay standpoint and aesthetics, appeal to many of us because we grew up with it, the alternatives that have been formed in the west appeal more broadly out of familiarity and evolution of ideas.

In my own opinion, due to my exposure and increased enjoyment in western developed games, the tired and traditional way Japan insists on doing things doesn't make them quite as relevant to me anymore. It'd be hard for me to look at any western-developed franchise I enjoy thrust in the hands of a Japanese developer and not think of it being at serious risk of taking huge leaps backward.

Pretty much.

If anything, this topic would get more serious replies if it was "japanese made games that you'd like a western developer make"

Cause then I'd actually contribute a lengthy post for once.

CelestialBlade
Jan 25, 2013, 05:31 PM
Two wildly different mindsets. I wouldn't trust an electrical contractor as a fashion designer either.

BIG OLAF
Jan 25, 2013, 05:33 PM
Two wildly different mindsets. I wouldn't trust an electrical contractor as a fashion designer either.

Yeah, I don't want "The Elder Scrolls VI: SUPER-GALACTIC ULTIMATE ROBO-BATTLE ULTRA EDITION DXX DIRECTOR'S CUT".

Some thing should stay separate.

ShinMaruku
Jan 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
Do you trust your congressman?

CelestialBlade
Jan 25, 2013, 05:44 PM
Do you trust your congressman?
Don't know em personally, so no :lol:

Just saying, there's a reason they're so wildly different. I couldn't think of any western franchise I'd put in the hand of a Japanese developer, and vice versa for that matter. It would just be...really weird :P

Akaimizu
Jan 25, 2013, 05:54 PM
You do have a point. Wizardry kind of went downhill when a Japanese developer got their hands on it. It's nowhere at the level that it was when Sirtech had the license.

ShinMaruku
Jan 25, 2013, 05:55 PM
Don't know em personally, so no :lol:

Just saying, there's a reason they're so wildly different. I couldn't think of any western franchise I'd put in the hand of a Japanese developer, and vice versa for that matter. It would just be...really weird :P

Some of these games need proper insanity.

.Rusty.
Jan 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
Super dishonored bros.
After peach gets assassinated mario and luigi try to clear their name with the help of the toad loyalist's but things aren't what they seem in this watercolor kingdom.

Sinue_v2
Jan 25, 2013, 06:42 PM

http://www.justpushstart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Untitled.jpg

http://defaultprime.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fallout-8-bit.jpg

Although technically, this is Bethesda's fault.

NoiseHERO
Jan 25, 2013, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I don't want "The Elder Scrolls VI: SUPER-GALACTIC ULTIMATE ROBO-BATTLE ULTRA EDITION DXX DIRECTOR'S CUT".

Some thing should stay separate.

WHY THE HELL NOT?!??

Sayara
Jan 25, 2013, 08:01 PM
dj hero.

Wait nevermind thats IIDX

AC9breaker
Jan 26, 2013, 05:26 AM
From Software with Oblivion or maybe the Fallout series. As much as I rag on japanese developers, I feel like most of the games I have and enjoy are primarily japanese developed. Like Yakuza, Disgaea, and King of Fighters.

Demon's Souls/ Dark Souls are the my own personal top game of this gaming generation. In my eyes the experience I get from these games has been the most rewarding, enjoyable, frustrating, memorable experience I've had for this gaming generation.

Weeaboolits
Jan 26, 2013, 01:01 PM
vice versa for that matter. It would just be...really weird :PMetroid Prime?

Palle
Jan 26, 2013, 02:34 PM
I keep trying to think of a game that, upon finishing it, I thought, "man... that wasn't nearly grindy enough."

So far, nothing.

RenzokukenZ
Jan 26, 2013, 03:23 PM
I still think Mass effect:High school edition would be interesting. You may think it's a troll but Atlus can do it well.

Let's be honest, its already this. Just replace the space suits with school uniforms and bam.

On a serious note, I would actually like to see something done as an experiment of sorts, and if I had to pick a developer to do it, I would pick From Software. They succeeded in taking a chance at a Western-styled mech game (Chromehounds) and a Western-styled open-world RPG (Demon/Dark Souls). That, and I fecking love the Armored Core series.

That said, I would like it to see them take a shot with Fallout (with robots, because why not), Saint's Row/GTA (with robots, because awesome), and just to throw a curveball, one of those MMS titles like Call of Duty or Battlefield, because at least it would be something different (and with robots, because rule of cool)

NoiseHERO
Jan 26, 2013, 06:27 PM
I....

I don't think I like most videogames anymore. D:

gigawuts
Jan 26, 2013, 06:28 PM
I keep trying to think of a game that, upon finishing it, I thought, "man... that wasn't nearly grindy enough."

So far, nothing.

This raises an interesting thought...

Idea for a new thread:
JP games that you'd like a western developer to make.

Retehi
Jan 26, 2013, 07:27 PM
This raises an interesting thought...

Idea for a new thread:
JP games that you'd like a western developer to make.

No shit, I said that on the first page.

gigawuts
Jan 26, 2013, 07:36 PM

Serves me right for clicking the last page button.

yoshiblue
Jan 26, 2013, 07:56 PM

Don't just stand there! Lead the way!

Way too many robots, Renzo. Going to have to charge you extra for that.

Kent
Jan 26, 2013, 08:52 PM
Anything by Bethesda, BioWare or Obsidian.

It could be the same general game, except making an attempt at interesting gameplay, and it would actually work right out of the box.

Additionally, any action game or shooter made by a non-Japanese developer put into the hands of Platinum Games would pretty much guarantee that the quality bar skyrockets.

Akaimizu
Jan 26, 2013, 09:01 PM
Anything by Bethesda, BioWare or Obsidian.

It could be the same general game, except making an attempt at interesting gameplay, and it would actually work right out of the box.

Additionally, any action game or shooter made by a non-Japanese developer put into the hands of Platinum Games would pretty much guarantee that the quality bar skyrockets.

Actually, it wouldn't be generally the same game. Not unless you simply take the battle elements by themselves and the fact that it is kind of open world. A Japanese developer would never ever ever give a player that much freedom to do as much, in a simulation kind of way. The main reason for the bugs is allowing the player to do a ton of stuff that's impossible for the devs to completely bug check due to the amount of free available combos, user created content, and actions. The easy reason for the lower amount of bugs is that they're easier to program and have limited player actions, more invisible walls and simple methods to stop players from being certain places, most easily bugged checked to oblivion. The fact that they seem to have less of them at launch with each subsequent game shows how well they are fine tuning this art over decades.

There's a reason why Bethesda exists, because they dare to go out on a limb and offer that degree of freedom. It's very tough work. But for those who don't like that, at least there's loads of choices not like them, but very very few for those that do. For them, it's one of the better things in gaming. One of the reasons why I can't see them being done by anyone else. For me, it would cease to be a traditional Elder Scrolls game and just be something akin to a Japanese action RPG with a different story and races.

But on the Platinum Games idea, I'm actually very much on board with that idea. Seriously. I can only imagine how much cooler ANY new Duke Nukem game could be in their hands. They'd probably increase his bad ass persona and deliver it in a classy way (even with the uncouth of his character). A crazy good matchup if pulled off Platinum style. Heck, I'd like to see them even do a re-envisioning of the classic Atari arcade game "Escape from the Planet of the Robot monsters".

Sinue_v2
Jan 26, 2013, 10:40 PM
I found it. I know what game series I would like to see a Japanese developer work on.

Master of Orion.

Streamline the shit out of the cumbersome strategy side while keeping the core of the resource gathering/fleet building/tech researching/planet colonizing goodness that made them so great... then add a dash of RPG elements and turn it into a sprawling Space Opera with dynamic story elements, exaggerated anime depictions of the races, and a combat system that lets you strategize from the top down - then enter the cockpit/bridge and take control of a ship in the battle.

Besides, they couldn't fuck it up any more than Infogrames did with MoO3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bd/Master_of_Orion_II_Boxart.png/220px-Master_of_Orion_II_Boxart.png

I have no idea what developer I'd actually like to see do the project. The only one that comes to mind is NudeMaker, and only because I thoroughly enjoyed the shit out of Infinite Space (and I've heard good things about Steel Battalion)... though I doubt they could handle the gameplay well enough to do it justice. Maybe let another team under Platinum, or a collaboration with Capcom, handle the gameplay part and let the Nudists handle art direction/story/design... etc.

RenzokukenZ
Jan 26, 2013, 11:06 PM
I found it. I know what game series I would like to see a Japanese developer work on.

Master of Orion.

Streamline the shit out of the cumbersome strategy side while keeping the core of the resource gathering/fleet building/tech researching/planet colonizing goodness that made them so great... then add a dash of RPG elements and turn it into a sprawling Space Opera with dynamic story elements, exaggerated anime depictions of the races, and a combat system that lets you strategize from the top down - then enter the cockpit/bridge and take control of a ship in the battle.

For some reason, I imagined PSO: The 4X Game.

ShinMaruku
Jan 26, 2013, 11:06 PM
http://www.abload.de/img/afbr6c.gif
Tell me that's not badass!

NoiseHERO
Jan 27, 2013, 01:03 AM

you're REALLY making me want this game.

is dis gonna be on xbox?

Weeaboolits
Jan 27, 2013, 01:07 AM
It is, there is a demo right now.

ShinMaruku
Jan 27, 2013, 01:10 AM
http://www.abload.de/img/ai2kog.gif But of course!

Akaimizu
Jan 27, 2013, 06:54 PM
It's Metal Gear Devil-Otogi May Cry for me, Bayonetta.

Eman2417
Jan 27, 2013, 07:06 PM
Played the demo yesterday, game is just awful.

Sinue_v2
Jan 27, 2013, 08:11 PM

That's not impressive. Now the cat on the beach at the start of the demo... that's another matter entirely. After chopping a few trees, cars, and a small house in twain, I saw the cat walking calmly through the carnage. What the hell, I thought, and took a swing... and he just back flipped out the of the way and kept walking like he didn't even care. So I took that as a challenge and pulled out every lightning fast flurry of steely death I could mash into the controller... and he just danced between the blade swings, landed on his feet, and then lovingly rubbed his head against my leg as if to console me for my failure.

So what else could I do; I sheathed my sword and bowed deeply to him out of respect. Well played Mr. Pussycat, well played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8zSDj4fYg

NoiseHERO
Jan 27, 2013, 09:13 PM
so it's mostly just eye candy and chop physix

Akaimizu
Jan 27, 2013, 09:35 PM
And extremely impressive ninja cat masters. They should let you play the cat in the game. :)

Retehi
Jan 27, 2013, 09:35 PM
It's japanese Michal Bay, so boo.

Nitro Vordex
Jan 27, 2013, 09:49 PM
It's not badass. It'd be better as a movie, rather than PRESS X TO LOOK COOL.

I think we're jaded by now.

Also I don't want any japanese touching western games. One type of generic should stay one type of generic.

ShinMaruku
Jan 27, 2013, 11:16 PM
It's not badass. It'd be better as a movie, rather than PRESS X TO LOOK COOL.

I think we're jaded by now.

Also I don't want any japanese touching western games. One type of generic should stay one type of generic.

It's not easy to set up that event you have to time your dive kick to the exact point then cancel into that kill.
And yes I spent my time trying to kill that damn cat next time I will use a rpg on it's ass. :E

But really it's a platinum games joint. They are the kings of spectacle fighter games.

Kent
Jan 28, 2013, 03:48 AM
Actually, it wouldn't be generally the same game. Not unless you simply take the battle elements by themselves and the fact that it is kind of open world. A Japanese developer would never ever ever give a player that much freedom to do as much, in a simulation kind of way. The main reason for the bugs is allowing the player to do a ton of stuff that's impossible for the devs to completely bug check due to the amount of free available combos, user created content, and actions. The easy reason for the lower amount of bugs is that they're easier to program and have limited player actions, more invisible walls and simple methods to stop players from being certain places, most easily bugged checked to oblivion. The fact that they seem to have less of them at launch with each subsequent game shows how well they are fine tuning this art over decades.

There's a reason why Bethesda exists, because they dare to go out on a limb and offer that degree of freedom. It's very tough work. But for those who don't like that, at least there's loads of choices not like them, but very very few for those that do. For them, it's one of the better things in gaming. One of the reasons why I can't see them being done by anyone else. For me, it would cease to be a traditional Elder Scrolls game and just be something akin to a Japanese action RPG with a different story and races.
Well, I did say "could." It's not necessarily true that Japanese developers have some phobia of freedom in games, it's just that they generally realize that by imposing restrictions, they can raise the quality bar because they can control what the player does. A great example of a game that found the middle-ground here that actually worked is SaGa Frontier. It feels very open-world and sandbox-y just, while at the same time giving you both a good amount of free-form progression as well as some events that lead through a linear series of events. The very, very non-standard method of character progression and how much (real) freedom you're given so often throughout the course of the game, actually makes it feel like a fusion of JRPG and WRPG styles. It was, naturally, developed by one of the main R&D teams at Square Enix (whose most recent noteworthy project was The Last Remnant, which feels like a spiritual successor in some ways).

Yes, there's something to be said for lower-quality games that emphasize freedom over quality (e.g. the Elder Scrolls series, the GTA series, etc.), simply due to the wide variety of things they allow players to do in the game world, but I wouldn't be surprised if, by removing a lot of the we-couldn't-care-less-about-giving-you-a-reason-to-play attitude that these sandbox game developers take, they could actually make much better games as a result. Given the right developer, of course - because in some cases, like if you gave the Elder Scrolls series to the Dragon Quest team, you'd just end up with a different shitty game (and given their pedigree, subsequent entries in the series be the same shitty game for the next couple decades, just with different subtitles).

But on the Platinum Games idea, I'm actually very much on board with that idea. Seriously. I can only imagine how much cooler ANY new Duke Nukem game could be in their hands. They'd probably increase his bad ass persona and deliver it in a classy way (even with the uncouth of his character). A crazy good matchup if pulled off Platinum style. Heck, I'd like to see them even do a re-envisioning of the classic Atari arcade game "Escape from the Planet of the Robot monsters".
Not a western game, but imagine if a new PSO were instead made by Platinum Games. Just think about it for a bit.

Seany1990
Jan 28, 2013, 08:28 AM
Konami to make DMC

Sp-24
Jan 28, 2013, 10:24 AM
I want Japanese developers and especially story writers to be responsible for the Ace Combat games again.
After the glorious 3rd, 4th and 5th games, it's kinda sad that they had to westernise the series to the point that the new game even features the ever original "America vs. terrorism" story.

...I just don't get it. Is Call of Duty really revered for its storytelling so much that even Ace Combat, of all the games, has to rip it off?

Akaimizu
Jan 28, 2013, 10:26 AM
A great example of a game that found the middle-ground here that actually worked is SaGa Frontier. It feels very open-world and sandbox-y just, while at the same time giving you both a good amount of free-form progression as well as some events that lead through a linear series of events.

But that's the thing. I had SaGa Frontier, and it certainly doesn't hit enough of the middle ground for me. In comparison to Elder Scrolls, It barely comes 20%. Saga Frontier still feels like a mechanical RPG game to me, while Elder Scrolls feels more like a Fantasy World Life Simulation. There's a huge difference when a lot of non-combat-specific (or indirectly combat related) aspects of the game are completely up to you. Where every single object is something you can manipulate, decorate, and use. Where you truly still have the capabilities of making your own spells, potions, effect combinations, etc. It's not simply just changing out linearity and having open-world. You don't have to go Elder Scrolls for that. You could do a number of WRPGs that do that, but still offer loads of limitations on what the player can do in the game. That is, they stick to much more traditional RPG trimmings, both Western and Eastern. Look to things like Gothic or whatever. Less bugs in shorter dev time, but concentrates more on just being just a typical combat engine with an open-world and less linearity on what order you do quests on the way to the end. Or even Dragon Age 1, where you get to choose to do things in different order for a lot of the game, but still with quite limited experience of gameplay. And they did it just as well as Saga Frontier and offered higher quality than that. But again, it's just a small subset of what Elder Scrolls has to offer due to the way the player is way more controlled in what they can do in that world. Just giving them freedom of order of location and a larger world size isn't enough. It's been done to death, at least on PC.

It's true some wont care and think it is a quality upgrade, but for me, it isn't a quality upgrade because the other allows me to use my imagination a whole lot more. The difference here is that this specific class of RPG experience is made for the inventive and imaginative mind. Eastern RPGs, even ones that tried to get some open-world ideas, so far, have put limits on that where the only imaginary input is the ones by the designers. They are just coming around to the idea of perhaps the players want to create their own classes? Baby steps, so far, but they are coming up with some initial examples.

As what was mentioned before, it's like they took a cliff note of Western design, but missed out on a number of the elements it actually does have. You can't even compare it to a mix of Elder scrolls and something. Perhaps not even to Ultima 5-7. More like Gothic or something where it classic RPG/action-RPG trope but with open world and less linearity. Sure, to those attuned to the ways of JRPGs may never think that way and care less about the specifics that the WRPGs bring to the table, because that is outside of the thinking.

The purpose of Elder Scrolls isn't simply to give you a CRPG. The purpose of it is to place you in the world, it has magic, creatures, and various rules of by the way things work (magically, physically, technologically, and ecologically). A wide-scale story for which you are involved in where you do have some conclusion to reach, but outside of that...you can be whatever you want to be, do whatever you want within the mythos of the world, now what would YOU do? It is precisely those things where ES games can often reward the mind in ways most other RPGs can't do. Anything less, and it's not an improvement but a change towards a different and already well-populated subgenre. You have to approach one of them with a gaming mind of typical RPG tropes. The other, you can approach like you would in real-life, if thrown in a wilderness with a pack of items where everything in the world around you is tangible and could possibly be used in a number of ways. If you can think of it. The GTA games, nor anything Rockstar did, never approached that level. This is also one case where I think the ES MMO will fail and thus possibly not have my interest at all. Nothing to set itself apart from the rest of the group save lore, and I've seen a lot of decent lore MMOs go down so that's not enough to sustain a game.

But of course, this is an opinion topic, so it's free for anybody to state what subgenres they like best and which ones can disappear. I guess I tend to be a little defensive of Bethesda's movement because I actually do care about their unique aspects and realize that if they stop, a whole incredibly unique subgenre would die. I've solved problems in their games, in ways absolutely no other developer has offered me. It would be similar, to me, as if gaming got to the point where we have our last side-scrolling shooter and it went out of production.

ShinMaruku
Jan 28, 2013, 01:01 PM
Not a western game, but imagine if a new PSO were instead made by Platinum Games. Just think about it for a bit.
YES!
Then fighting falz would be approriate. His shit talking would be equaled by me going HAM on his ass!
http://www.abload.de/img/1357033029715m4zkd.gif

Polly
Jan 28, 2013, 01:23 PM
I want Japanese developers and especially story writers to be responsible for the Ace Combat games again.
After the glorious 3rd, 4th and 5th games, it's kinda sad that they had to westernise the series to the point that the new game even features the ever original "America vs. terrorism" story.

...I just don't get it. Is Call of Duty really revered for its storytelling so much that even Ace Combat, of all the games, has to rip it off?

I don't think it's so much as the story as it is the aesthetic and trappings. HEY LOOK! MURRICAN SHOOTER GUYS AND PILOT GUYS AGAINST EVIL LITTLE FOREIGN TERRORIST PEOPLE! It's less the story, because I doubt most multiplayer-focused shooter players pay much attention (if any) to those games' stories, and more about creating a comfort zone with familiar elements.

Akaimizu
Jan 28, 2013, 02:00 PM
Not to mention, the Single player campaigns of Call of Duty, nowadays are too messed up to even fall into the typical America vs. Terrorism story arc. Last one I played turned much more akin to a mind screw, who the heck is the real enemy, kind of storyline. Even to the point of questioning your own character's means to a goal.

Of course, for those not looking at that, I would say Ace Combat got more of the idea of a story taking the scenario out of the multiplayer-portion of Call of Duty instead of the single-player one and trying to make a single-player story out of that. If Call of Duty was even to be referenced. That's probably the biggest mistake. The not-as-popular Ghost Recon series was a bit more in that league when it came to story-telling across the board, even if I loved the gameplay mechanics of the GRAW series. The story in them, didn't matter so much, as Polly said.

ShinMaruku
Jan 28, 2013, 03:38 PM
A warcraft action game by Platinum games. I want to see Thrall just go 100% Goel on people.

.Rusty.
Jan 28, 2013, 07:25 PM
Gimme a unreal tournament or quake 3 arena type game with dat super crazy japanese weirdness please :-)

Akaimizu
Jan 28, 2013, 07:31 PM
Gimme a unreal tournament or quake 3 arena type game with dat super crazy japanese weirdness please :-)

Unreal Championship 2 came awfully close. That was, by far, the game that tried to do that, to some success. Too bad the community for it was too small to sustain it. It was inspired more from insane chinese special effect combat movies though. The live action ones where they fly through the air doing crazy fighting in them.

RenzokukenZ
Jan 29, 2013, 01:47 AM
So far I'm seeing "Turn Game X into a spectacle fighter from Platinum because there's nothing better the Japs can achieve!"

Is anyone else getting this vibe?

Kent
Jan 29, 2013, 01:58 AM
So far I'm seeing "Turn Game X into a spectacle fighter from Platinum because there's nothing better the Japs can achieve!"

Spectacle fighter? No, nothing of the sort.

Rather, a lot of people are duly recognizing that, as far as action games go, Platinum is pretty much the best there is currently. At least for modern styles of action games - they're pretty much the Treasure of modern-style (rather than old-school) action games, and just because there's a layer of spectacle thrown on top for good measure, does not mean that it is the reason people think their games are good.

Sp-24
Jan 29, 2013, 02:17 AM

I don't even have any hype left about PlatinumGames in me after seeing the gameplay videos of MGR. So much for "former directors of DMC, Viewtiful Joe and Okami". They seem to rank about the same as Ninja Theory to me.

Guess it takes something other than a company name or a nationality to make a good game.

Kent
Jan 29, 2013, 07:06 AM
Did you try playing the demo?