PDA

View Full Version : When one calls you 'nobody' remind them of Odsseus.

ShinMaruku
Jan 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
Ever read the Odyssey? After Odysseus was caught by the Cyclops, he told it that his name was 'Nobody', so when he poked its eye out and his friends asked who did it all the Cyclops could say was "Nobody."

BIG OLAF
Jan 28, 2013, 08:47 PM
Yes, Odysseus was a genius, and is still one of the most badass fictitious characters of all time. The Odyssey is one of my favorite stories. My friends looked at me like I was nuts first time I read it, which was 3rd grade, I think.

Randomness
Jan 28, 2013, 11:37 PM
Yes, Odysseus was a genius, and is still one of the most badass fictitious characters of all time. The Odyssey is one of my favorite stories. My friends looked at me like I was nuts first time I read it, which was 3rd grade, I think.

A genius doesn't brag about it next to the guy's father.

Sinue_v2
Jan 29, 2013, 12:30 AM
My friends looked at me like I was nuts first time I read it, which was 3rd grade, I think.

Hah, I read that when I was like in 3rd or 4th grade as well (The Fitzgerald translation - the one with the ungodly prose). Did my book report on it actually, which pissed my teacher off immensely since it's a bit harder to make a succinct overview out of a 400+ page work of classical Greek poetry than it is to make one for, say... How to eat Fried Worms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Eat_Fried_Worms).

Anyhow, I agree with Random. The very fact that he had a boatload of men heading out from Troy on what should have been a fairly uneventful and short trip, ended up getting them all killed and taking 10 fricking years to get home because he couldn't keep from arrogantly swinging his big hairy manly balls in the face of powers that were clearly beyond his ken is NOT what I call genius. It might make him awesome, but not a genius.