PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Use / Used / Buy / Seen-use a Scape Doll?

AzureBlaze
Jan 29, 2013, 08:19 PM
Ok Scape Dolls!
These seem like a collosal waste to me. I cannot concieve of a single instance where it would ever be worth it to pay IRL money to revive. However, I could be wrong.

Has anyone ever ACTUALLY used one?
Has anyone EVER seen another person use one?
Has anyone bought a "pack of dolls" like they sell at the cash shop?
Was the 'pack of dolls' that come with certain things ever actually useful?

What situation would you NEED a doll at?
The only one I could vaguely concieve of is if the whole party died in like an alternate area or something, 1 guy w/moons buys a doll & revs everyone else cause you can't get back in there. Or maybe on the Code: Abduction? Or maybe they invent those "Capsule Missions" with super strong monsters to force people to buy dolls when they die in something they paid real money to get into?

I've been all over every other pso/u & thought they were a fine addition. However here, there's nowhere with a terrible penalty for dieing without one, and there's every factor (irl cash) working against ever having one. This lets me think that they've probably only ever sold about 5 scape dolls over the course of the entire game population. I would love to see the stats for this on their end.

What could they do to make dolls better / people actually use it?

Valimer
Jan 29, 2013, 08:32 PM
They are basically a useless chunk of code.

There is literally no logical reason why you would use a scape-doll. You're right, there is no situation you would need it in. This game is very forgiving.

I could see EQ's that have dungeons that once you die, you cannot re-enter for the duration of that quest. That would give scape-dolls some value. Not to mention that EQ would be really intense because of the death penalty. Would be a fun change of pace imo. Might actually have to "try hard".

blace
Jan 29, 2013, 08:33 PM
For those of us that solo is a great example of it. Most times I can do fine without, but sometimes the penalty can be a bit steep. At most I've only ever used one, because of a mistake I did with Quartz Dragon. Other than that, never really used one after, not even that 5 pack that came with the premium disc set.

NoiseHERO
Jan 29, 2013, 09:01 PM
N00BZ

Seravi Edalborez
Jan 29, 2013, 09:03 PM
The only situation it seems very desirable for is if you get abducted to Darker Den solo and actually intend on finishing it solo somehow.

Heat Haze
Jan 29, 2013, 09:15 PM
Most definitely it exists to punish players who decide to play solo occasionally. Every other instance when you're with another party they'll res you no problem.

If you're playing solo, there are a few frustrating things that could be seen as deliberately placed to make solo players rage and coerce them into purchasing scape dolls.

1. Enemy boss dying animations that injure you. It'll catch unfamiliar players off guard and off them just as they kill the boss. Why does this even exist, it's beyond me.

2. Matterboard quests. They're long and tedious; also solo.

3. Certain enemy attacks. Mizer Homing Missiles, Rockbear Grab, Gwana Grab, Quartz Grants, etc etc that can off you very easily if you're not careful. This is usually paired with point #2.

Other than those, I can't imagine a situation where you'd use the things.

Xaeris
Jan 29, 2013, 09:19 PM
I've used a handful. I solo a lot, and I'm normally content to return to campship when I screw up and die. A few times though, it was a rare boss that killed me and returning to campship would have forfeited any chance I had at its loot.

Chik'Tikka
Jan 29, 2013, 09:23 PM
It is SEGA's 1st f2p mmo, yes? in past more seasoned f2p games, their versions of "scape dolls" that they have have a use in the simple fact that dying causes you to lose a certain percentage of exp (even down-leveling) if you didn't have the $1.50 to use an auto-revive item+^_^+ it's more likely SEGA just didn't think much when studying other f2p games and simply added it that way+^_^+ if they do keep stats, i wouldn't be surprised if they did start docking exp for dying and even more exp if you have to return to the campship+^_^+

ShinMaruku
Jan 29, 2013, 09:56 PM
I seen it used. That guy had money to burn.

Antipika
Jan 29, 2013, 10:01 PM
It is SEGA's 1st f2p mmo, yes? in past more seasoned f2p games, their versions of "scape dolls" that they have have a use in the simple fact that dying causes you to lose a certain percentage of exp (even down-leveling) if you didn't have the $1.50 to use an auto-revive item+^_^+ it's more likely SEGA just didn't think much when studying other f2p games and simply added it that way+^_^+ if they do keep stats, i wouldn't be surprised if they did start docking exp for dying and even more exp if you have to return to the campship+^_^+

If the penalty is really harsh (loss of equipment and/or huge loss of EXP), then it will discourage a lot of players and they will just leave. $1.50 just to revive is a lot... Hell, ¥150 is even more expensive than "a credit" in an arcade...

What could they do to make dolls better / people actually use it?

Lower the price. ¥100 for a stack of 10 seems more reasonable. And actually lowering the price would be a better strategy for SEGA. More players would use Scape Dolls, ¥10 seems like "nothing".

What's better? Lot of people using a ¥10 item? Or no one using a ¥150 item? And I'm pretty sure that lowering the price wouldn't change anything regarding the game balance. Maybe add a small cooldown to prevent players being able to use back to back dolls on the same mission, or raise the price in AC for every doll used in the same mission (10>20>50>100>150).

Jim
Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 PM
At Lv. 30, I've used 4 I think. 150 AC for a scape doll is ~$1.65 USD; $2 if you include SutoCorp's fees. So if I'm soloing late, dropping a couple of bucks to save a half-hour of work is worth it to me. I keep a lot of AC handy though. I've got just over 6000 now, :nerd: and I understand some people are playing on a budget.

Maronji
Jan 29, 2013, 10:14 PM
Maybe add a small cooldown to prevent players being able to use back to back dolls on the same mission, or raise the price in AC for every doll used in the same mission (10>20>50>100>150).

The latter option wouldn't work if they already have Scape Dolls on them (choosing the option from the K.O. menu will just use one from your inventory). You'd have to do the former option no matter what anyway (aka adding an arbitrary limit to how many Scape Dolls you can take/use on the same mission).

Menasthos
Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 PM
I seen it used. That guy had money to burn.Me too, on volcanic. Fun, because he was surrounded of guys able to rez him lol :-D

ShinMaruku
Jan 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
I was glad he did it because it made then boss get shot in the face with weakbullet.

Jim
Jan 29, 2013, 10:26 PM
EDIT: NVM, I misunderstood what was being said.

Jungo Torii
Jan 29, 2013, 10:33 PM
I haven't. I don't enjoy soloing anyways, so it's not ever essential for me to be able to rez myself.

Also don't have a way to get any AC in the first place, so...nope.

Alenoir
Jan 29, 2013, 11:04 PM
I have a pack of 5 from the premium package a while back, never used it. The only time I would consider using any of them is in situations such as Darker Den where moons are limited.

gigawuts
Jan 29, 2013, 11:14 PM
If the penalty is really harsh (loss of equipment and/or huge loss of EXP), then it will discourage a lot of players and they will just leave. $1.50 just to revive is a lot... Hell, ¥150 is even more expensive than "a credit" in an arcade...

Lower the price. ¥100 for a stack of 10 seems more reasonable. And actually lowering the price would be a better strategy for SEGA. More players would use Scape Dolls, ¥10 seems like "nothing".

What's better? Lot of people using a ¥10 item? Or no one using a ¥150 item? And I'm pretty sure that lowering the price wouldn't change anything regarding the game balance. Maybe add a small cooldown to prevent players being able to use back to back dolls on the same mission, or raise the price in AC for every doll used in the same mission (10>20>50>100>150).

Make them that cheap and I would actually use them. So, please don't make them that cheap. I would rather save that money.

The funniest thing is, Sega got into the F2P market because lots of people spending less money adds up to more, and then...they made things pretty expensive for what they are. They went F2P and then promptly abandoned the logic that entails.

Menasthos
Jan 29, 2013, 11:16 PM
Well, if they came from fun scratch cards (even uber rare loottable like 3 days shops), everyone would happily use them if extremely needed, soloing or doing a paid content.

moorebounce
Jan 29, 2013, 11:28 PM
Q. Has anyone ever ACTUALLY used one?
A. I've used some before but only because they were free in the CBT. Scape dolls aren't cheap enough for me to use them.

Q. Has anyone EVER seen another person use one?
A. I'm sure I have but most likely in the CBT. Why would you use them with others near you on the map.

Q. Has anyone bought a "pack of dolls" like they sell at the cash shop?
A. I've only bought one because I had some AC left over. I still have it in my storage.

Q. Was the 'pack of dolls' that come with certain things ever actually useful?
A. They're only useful when you're soloing bosses and don't want to start over again. It kind of sucks when you're chipping away at a boss and almost have them beat and they hit you with a lucky shot or they hit you and you weren't paying attention to your health.

You can get 30 days premium for 1300 AC. You can get 2 packs of 6 scape dolls for 1200 AC. Which would you rather have 12 scape dolls or 30 days of premium service. Now if scape dolls were around 50 AC I would be more inclined to purchase some scape dolls.

KatsujinkenKik
Jan 30, 2013, 12:05 AM
other than during the closed beta, I have indeed used scape dolls.

I was always wondered who would actually buy that nonsense since there weren't any penalties other than the mission blocking you off if dying at a boss or losing S rank. Then I got abducted solo and was a bit overwhelmed with...

I've used too many scape dolls there. It was new and I didn't think I would ever have another chance at completing it. Doing it solo again without failing I feel a bit ashamed of spending money for that. Only a little bit at least.

TaigaUC
Jan 30, 2013, 12:09 AM
Yeah, PSO2 is not as harsh as Vindictus where bosses flatten everyone instantly. That game also has "scape dolls" and I saw them used often there. That was a long time ago, though.

Stormwalker
Jan 30, 2013, 12:32 AM
I would use them if they were cheaper.

The only time I've been tempted to use one at current prices is when I got solo abducted and died after smashing my way through hordes of darkers for 20 minutes. After that much time investment into something that's kinda hard to get to happen to begin with, I wanted to keep going.

I swear sometimes Sega designed things in this game to TRY to get soloists to shell out for the damn things. And I would, too, but the price is just too high.

Make them cheaper, and I'll use them. Nothing like soloing a boss down to low health and having a small lag spike, boss teleports, you're dead. Or, you know, you accidentally flip the wrong direction on Gwanahda (easier to do than it sounds) and get grabbed and aren't at full health... dead. Or you don't quite clear the rain of lasers on Quartz and... dead again. Parties don't think about these little slip-ups; someone drops a moon and you're good. But when you solo, it's super frustrating. All that time you spent getting enough kills for S-Rank on the mission, and not only do you not get the S-Rank, you fail the mission altogether. Argh.

Yeah, cut the price down to 50 AC and I'll use the blasted things. Until then, no.

Anduril
Jan 30, 2013, 12:37 AM
The only time I was tempted to buy scape dolls was when I was trying to unlock VH and hunting Quartz Dragons. Even when you're ~Lv40, Hard Quartz Dragon can kill you easily if you misstep during one of his attacks while playing solo.

yunamon
Jan 30, 2013, 12:48 AM
I used Scape Dolls during my Vita CBT alot since I have like 20k unspent AC...

Darki
Jan 30, 2013, 01:19 AM
To be honest, I don't want them to be cheaper for the sake of people using them more often. That would just make so called "elite" (or better described, people with too much money to throw at the screen) think other people should waste their money on them too, and treat people who don't as second rate players.

I don't think this game needs scape dolls at all. They ruined PSU, I don't want them to ruin this game too.

gigawuts
Jan 30, 2013, 01:27 AM
Someone remind me if they ruined PSO, I forget.

blace
Jan 30, 2013, 01:31 AM
They were useful for the first couple areas of Ruins in PSO. Otherwise, nothing game changing.

Angelo
Jan 30, 2013, 01:35 AM
I used one out of spite once because I was being a stubborn SOB.

It happens.

Ce'Nedra
Jan 30, 2013, 02:45 AM
I had 5 from the preminum package and I only took them with me for Den. I think I used 2 there. I also bought 2 on a party wipe so far with AC.

Antipika
Jan 30, 2013, 08:09 AM
The latter option wouldn't work if they already have Scape Dolls on them (choosing the option from the K.O. menu will just use one from your inventory). You'd have to do the former option no matter what anyway (aka adding an arbitrary limit to how many Scape Dolls you can take/use on the same mission).

Tons of way to get around that. Just increase the consumption of dolls upon usage. So if you already have some in your inventory, first rez uses 1 dolls, then 2 dolls, then 5 etc.

The point is to avoid players moving through content just by tossing dolls.

Make them that cheap and I would actually use them. So, please don't make them that cheap. I would rather save that money.

Haha same here. Which kind of prove that it would be better for SEGA (and not for us ;d).

Also by having Scape Dolls priced that low, it would tempt players with AC leftovers (<150) to use them on dolls rather than save them for the next time they will purchase AC. It's always a better move for SEGA to have players spend whatever AC they own now, so then in the future, if they want AC for something else, they will have to buy some more.

Meji
Jan 30, 2013, 08:16 AM
I've used 5 so far, all was consumed in the Darkers Den.

Dnd
Jan 30, 2013, 08:25 AM
The only place i'd consider using one is in the darkers den, if the entire party was wiped out, because screw wasting all that effort and having the RNG smile on you to get into it in the first place. That is, assuming, i have one or the ac to buy one.

darthvader
Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 AM
yeah, i really regretted it that i only had 100 ac left when i got abducted alone and failed horribly

ReaperTheAbsol
Jan 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
A buddy of mine used one when our party wiped on a boss. I told him that I had no problem taking an A rank, but he insisted that he use one anyways. He didn't complain about it and I was thankful. :3

I haven't personally used a scape doll, but I think I would like to buy some in case I end up in the Darker's Den alone or with an unprepared party.

Kirine
Jan 30, 2013, 11:55 AM
I've seen a few used. We almost had a party wipe in darker's den, but a guy with a scape doll is always there to save the day.

If anything, you can buy a set of scape dolls and it'll last you for a whole year or even more and when you need it, you use it.

I personally think of it as buying a backup plan and just storing it and when that rare occasional moment pops up that makes it useful, it's there.

Though I do agree on the price dropping a bit.

Coatl
Jan 30, 2013, 12:48 PM
They cost about $7 right? Yeah, not worth it.

Cyclon
Jan 30, 2013, 01:07 PM
Scape dolls are a mystery for me. Everything in this game screams multiplayer, moons rez in aoe, dying and getting resurrected doesn't lower rank.

There could have been hundreds of ways to make people want them, some pretty unfair; yet they did none of that. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, never used one(beta excluded), although I play solo 90% of the time.

Eman2417
Jan 30, 2013, 01:08 PM
Why would you even consider wasting money on scapes lol...

Coatl
Jan 30, 2013, 01:18 PM
Maybe if someone owns too many mansions they might consider buying one.

UnLucky
Jan 30, 2013, 02:15 PM
I didn't even get any in the beta.

I had to win that Rappy costume @_@