PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live service is insulting.

RLbitClassica
Feb 5, 2013, 02:31 AM
Let me start by saying that I have no problem paying a monthly/yearly fee to a company to maintain online services. I understand, from a business standpoint, why it's asked of the consumer and I have no real issue with that.

What I DO have an issue with is paying a company for online services that are subpar. My xbox will, on a semi-frequent basis, disconnect from xbox live or disconnect from an xbox live party and have incredible difficulty connecting back(and before you ask, the internet connection is fine, it's the xbox). On top of all this, the company even has the nerve to give its customers ads on the dashboard! It bothers me because it tells me that the company would rather milk its consumer-base for cash than make sure they provide them with a consistently functional and user-friendly product. I already gave you my money microsoft. I bought your console, I bought xbox live and I consistently buy and play games. Why the fuck won't you uphold your end of the bargain?

Eman2417
Feb 5, 2013, 02:14 PM
So your blaming your xbox for your own bad connection? lol
I haven't really seen ads on the dashboard, they're just sponsoring other games and things related to microsoft.
Inb4 a ps3/xbox war

RLbitClassica
Feb 5, 2013, 04:04 PM
Were you not reading correctly? I said the internet connection is fine. I know it's the xbox because the connection test fails at the last checkpoint. It connects to the router and then to the internet, but fails to connect to xbox live itself. I also know the router is fine because my computer was connected with no problem. And as far as ads go, I fail to see how Toyota and Klondike Bars have anything to do with xbox or microsoft.

Enforcer MKV
Feb 5, 2013, 04:10 PM
Eh, it's because Microsoft is trying to turn Xbox live into an all around "Entertainment experience" It's not just about gaming anymore. Music, movies, they're trying to get people who aren't gamers to start using Live.

Don't really agree with it, myself, but eh. Only thing we can do is try and rock their boat, and hope they listen.

blace
Feb 5, 2013, 04:24 PM
PSN started doing the same thing, although being free. Probably trying to milk their fanbases due to speculation of next generation consoles to make the most of their buck.

Just my two cents.

Eman2417
Feb 5, 2013, 04:27 PM
Were you not reading correctly? I said the internet connection is fine. I know it's the xbox because the connection test fails at the last checkpoint. It connects to the router and then to the internet, but fails to connect to xbox live itself. I also know the router is fine because my computer was connected with no problem. And as far as ads go, I fail to see how Toyota and Klondike Bars have anything to do with xbox or microsoft.
You didn't specify in your original post that you couldn't connect from your internet to xbox live. So I guess it could be a problem on lives' end then.

And I haven't seen ads unrelated to microsoft, other then sports.

Kent
Feb 8, 2013, 06:47 PM
Were you not reading correctly? I said the internet connection is fine. I know it's the xbox because the connection test fails at the last checkpoint. It connects to the router and then to the internet, but fails to connect to xbox live itself. I also know the router is fine because my computer was connected with no problem.
If this is happening consistently - and not during a specific period of service issues (which are noted on their website whenever there are any service issues at the moment), then it actually is something wrong on your end (or perhaps your ISP's end, but that's unlikely).

Despite what you may believe, it's actually possible that failing at the step of connecting to Xbox Live can be due to settings or hardware configurations on your end. For example, I know someone who has problems connecting to Xbox Live regularly, but can alleviate all of their issues by toggling UPnP on their router (regardless of whether it's on or off). It specifically fails at the Xbox Live step during the connection process, yet the problem is actually within his local network, before his connection reaches the internet.

It is absolutely true that it's possible for the network diagnostics of the Xbox 360 to fail at the Xbox Live step, yet it actually be a problem within your network - because connecting to the router and to the internet are only testing to see if it can get to those in a rather general sense. The Xbox Live step is where it determines whether or not the proper configuration is present to specifically access Xbox Live, and will return an error regardless if it is due to this, a service interruption, or something on your ISP's end.

So pinning it as Xbox Live's fault, especially when others don't have these issues, is jumping the gun a bit. It's entirely possible that your router or modem may not be configured properly, may have some weird firmware quirk, or just needs a good old-fashioned power cycle.

Outrider
Feb 11, 2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah, in all fairness, this might one of the times where you should call Xbox Live customer support and actually go through each of the steps they recommend at the beginning. At the very least, if fiddling with your router and other hardware isn't the issue, then you can have them investigate from their end.

Still, I'm with Kent on this one - sounds like it's the router or something else on your end. I've had occasional issues where some devices connect fine while others simply don't work due to a port being blocked or something along those lines.