PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 ..the psyche of Player vs a Rappy..

GtSaiyaMan
Feb 7, 2013, 12:46 PM
Ok... i know this is random..but i've never paid attention until the other day..i guess you can say i had an epiphany... (lol!)

Ever since i first started playing PSO many years ago, i was fascinated with Rappies. They are the cutest chick-like creatures ever.. so.. this leads me to my next question..

Why is it SO fulfilling to defeat them...? You don't *technically* kill them.. (they run and burrow into the ground). i mean, you even wait around for them to wake up to attack them one more time before they burrow into the ground..lol. I have conflicting emotions about this.. I CAN'T be the only one who has had this thought...

Coatl
Feb 7, 2013, 12:47 PM
Uh..I actually feel pretty bad about hitting them afterwards.
Am I in the minority?

GtSaiyaMan
Feb 7, 2013, 12:49 PM
Am I in the minority?

i mean...in hindsight, sure..that has happened to me..but its like..when you see them, you also feel compelled to beat the living CRAP out of them..and loot them for meseta/items...lol.

Vintasticvin
Feb 7, 2013, 12:50 PM
Am I in the minority?

If they peck at me agressively first I have no sympathy or remorse in punishing them <3

Coatl
Feb 7, 2013, 12:56 PM
Their design is so charming that I always feel at least a small ping of satisfaction in finding them. They can also be pretty considerate and drop a grinder.
What's not to like about them? :p

The Walrus
Feb 7, 2013, 12:58 PM
They give grinders when they die.

Therefore I must slaughter their species.

HiOc
Feb 7, 2013, 01:01 PM
I

FEEL

NOTHING

Caledonia
Feb 7, 2013, 01:14 PM
Rappies, not so much. Love Rappies (Specifically PSO2 Love Rappies) I do feel bad about hitting in a very girlish "but-it's-so-cute" way.

Not that I'd re-enact "The Fake in Yellow" but the fact that there's been a PSO quest about association with Rappies already ought to tell you something...

No-one ever wants to dress up as an Evil Shark...

_Nue
Feb 7, 2013, 01:19 PM
They're Dudu's minions this time around. Feel no remorse. They are not the Rappies you love and know. They even pilot the Big Varder. They try to disguise themselves during the holidays in order to gain more affection. They may give you nice rewards, but it's only so you can return them to Dudu.

The time has come for the Rappy extermination. ARREST THEM ALL.

Gardios
Feb 7, 2013, 01:21 PM
Am I in the minority?

That's the natural reaction.

Everyone not feeling bad about beating up Rappies is a terrible person.

Zerex
Feb 7, 2013, 01:22 PM
I dont feel so bad about killing rappies as i do about Dinians or Sadinians. Those guys can't even fight back, all they do is heal..
feels bad man

Shadowth117
Feb 7, 2013, 01:27 PM
No-one ever wants to dress up as an Evil Shark...

Maybe you don't. >_>

Yeah.... all I can really say is they drop grinders and I'm occasionally annoyed I can't truly finish them off.

ReaperTheAbsol
Feb 7, 2013, 01:34 PM
I revel in my sick satisfaction of destroying all that is cute and fluffy.

UnLucky
Feb 7, 2013, 01:43 PM
when they just give me 1 MST I want to hit them a third time

LinkKD
Feb 7, 2013, 01:48 PM
I dont feel so bad about killing rappies as i do about Dinians or Sadinians. Those guys can't even fight back, all they do is heal..
feels bad man

Dinians and Sadinians heal the guys that are trying to kill you (also, have you ever done Amduscia TA?? how can someone NOT hate every single dragonkin after doing that? lol)

Rare Rappies can't and won't fight back in any way, they have no attack, they'll just sing to you. That's the main reason that makes me feel bad about hitting them =w=.

In fact, I remember clearly one time in Closed Beta where me and Coatl were running Desert for the bouquet rifle, and a code rescue happened. A couple Rare Rappies spawned close to the dome, and they actually started helping us by pecking the dome. I think they removed this feature later on...not sure, but I'm 100% positive they did that back on Closed Beta.

So basically, not only they don't attack us, but they were meant to help us whenever they could (ofc their peck never did significant damage to the dome...but it was cute to see them trying to help =w=)

Idm Nab Rappies because they attack you, so...they had it coming.

I actually have a self-policy that I'll avoid killing/hitting Rappies whenever I don't really need the kill (as in, whenever I don't have a lv30 5 SP CO). Ofc that I have no choice if it's a code arrest =w=.

Everyone who doesn't feel bad about killing them should feel bad about themselves [???].

And answering to the topic...I guess one enjoys to find/beat them because they drop grinders? lol

GtSaiyaMan
Feb 7, 2013, 02:03 PM
when they just give me 1 MST I want to hit them a third time

+1 to this comment...lmao! I've even chased after them afterward! lol

Requiem Aeternam
Feb 7, 2013, 02:08 PM
I feel sort of bad attacking the Rappies cause of how cute I think they are, but because I hate that Code: Arrest so much my feelings are mixed. I feel bad attacking the rare Rappies though since I found out that they don't actually attack you. Stood next to one for about 5 minutes and it didn't attack me once.

Cagedtaytay
Feb 7, 2013, 02:27 PM
Because Rappies are ***holes.

GtSaiyaMan
Feb 7, 2013, 02:27 PM
I feel sort of bad attacking the Rappies cause of how cute I think they are, but because I hate that Code: Arrest so much my feelings are mixed. I feel bad attacking the rare Rappies though since I found out that they don't actually attack you. Stood next to one for about 5 minutes and it didn't attack me once.

...the rare rappies drop rare loot though, right?

Punisher106
Feb 7, 2013, 02:41 PM
The rare rappies are so... adorable, and fluffy. I mean, the Love Rappies look like they're made of cotton candy. I mean, the whole Rappy-trying-to-help deal with funji rescues is even more adorable, so I do kind of feel remorse for attacking them.

RagolianHunter
Feb 7, 2013, 03:37 PM
I don't feel bad. And btw they taste like chicken.

RagolianHunter
Feb 7, 2013, 03:41 PM
...the rare rappies drop rare loot though, right?

LOL. Yes the meseta is red but NOT because its rare meseta.

ITS COVERED IN RAPPY BLOOD!! :-x

UnLucky
Feb 7, 2013, 04:15 PM
LOL. Yes the meseta is red but NOT because its rare meseta.

ITS COVERED IN RAPPY BLOOD!! :-x

well then let it rain

AzureBlaze
Feb 7, 2013, 05:30 PM
I wont attack the soft rappies.
If something doesn't attack me, I won't hit it. I have not hit one since the beta where I found out they dont attack at all, ever. The regular attacking nab rappy I dont care/defeat it all the time.

Code arrest? Gonna fail that one unless someone else is on the map.
If I want to take a photo of it, I'll unequip my mag so the mag won't knock it down.
Other monsters in the area that might hurt it? I'll murder 'em all to save the rappy. (challenging because you cant hit the rappy during the fighting)

They follow you around, but I just leave them on the map. (I guess the despawn eventually)
This (chivalry?) causes trouble sometimes but...too bad.

The magic dinian (Lizard Wizard) WILL hit you. I once got pushed off a cliff into lava RIGHT next to one, and the second I stood up, he/she clubbed me with the magic stick or whatever it is they have. They usually won't, you've got to be right right next to it while it's not doing the healing chant, but they do attack. That was just an ulucky circumstance though.

fires2dust
Feb 7, 2013, 05:50 PM
I..I have mixed feelings when it comes to rare rappies. ;-; on one hand, it's not like I'm really killing them but I do feel guilty about it sometimes. Whoever is with me at the time, whether friend or npc or other people in the map will kill them without hesitating. ;w; b-but they're just singing, piyo..

This game also promotes rappy cruelty, I mean, they're pretty much the only animals you ever need to double tap, aside from nab rappies but I don't feel anything because those try to peck me.

Rappy cannons make you shoot rappies and don't even get me started with rappy talises where you pluck out their feathers.. Q-Q' (still uses them anyway because rappies on your weapons is cute..)

Lumpen Thingy
Feb 7, 2013, 05:58 PM
I don't feel bad. And btw they taste like chicken.

first off they taste like greasy ass quail and second they must all die for being the reason behind rappy suits

Noblewine
Feb 7, 2013, 06:01 PM
Its kill or be killed. So I don't care if they hate being shot at once they play poosum to try and escape unharmed.

GtSaiyaMan
Feb 7, 2013, 06:02 PM
lol... well.. i don't feel TOO bad...because you don't quite kill them... sometimes i just feel conflicted..like, aww..here's this adorable Rappy... let me bash it with my sword to get the loot from it...

sorta like a pinata.... lol..

LinkKD
Feb 7, 2013, 08:29 PM
Its kill or be killed. So I don't care if they hate being shot at once they play poosum to try and escape unharmed.

It won't kill you though! lol it won't even harm you!

But uhm, yeah...it's not because they're cute (even though they are), I just feel bad for hitting them because they DON'T attack back =w=.

I wont attack the soft rappies.
If something doesn't attack me, I won't hit it. I have not hit one since the beta where I found out they dont attack at all, ever. The regular attacking nab rappy I dont care/defeat it all the time.

Code arrest? Gonna fail that one unless someone else is on the map.
If I want to take a photo of it, I'll unequip my mag so the mag won't knock it down.
Other monsters in the area that might hurt it? I'll murder 'em all to save the rappy. (challenging because you cant hit the rappy during the fighting)

They follow you around, but I just leave them on the map. (I guess the despawn eventually)
This (chivalry?) causes trouble sometimes but...too bad.

The magic dinian (Lizard Wizard) WILL hit you. I once got pushed off a cliff into lava RIGHT next to one, and the second I stood up, he/she clubbed me with the magic stick or whatever it is they have. They usually won't, you've got to be right right next to it while it's not doing the healing chant, but they do attack. That was just an ulucky circumstance though.

lol, you take my self-policy to a whole new level.

I think you are cute for this, good sir. (that's a good thing, mind you)

@Zeal

Zeal you're mean!

(...although...I'm not a fan of the rappy costumes myself, lol.)

Arrow
Feb 7, 2013, 08:44 PM
*this is here to remind me to make a video on this*

Dnd
Feb 7, 2013, 08:45 PM
I don't feel bad for attacking them, they don't die after all and they drop a metric ton of grinders, not attacking them is basically shafting yourself outta 7-15k meseta, or a nice new grind level on that weapon (Dudu pending, of course)..

Of course, they are cute, they always have been, now that didn't stop anyone blaping them in pso1&2 now eh?

yunamon
Feb 7, 2013, 08:45 PM
If they peck at me agressively first I have no sympathy or remorse in punishing them <3

Rappy never attacks us. Only those Nab Rappies...

Rien
Feb 7, 2013, 09:33 PM
Rappies keep getting caught in the crossfire when I fight, so I can't really do anything about it (save not fighting)

Mike
Feb 7, 2013, 09:46 PM
Rappies deserve a thrashing since they steal all the penguin feed.

HienkyakuX
Feb 7, 2013, 09:51 PM
End line...they don't die. Just think of them as Jars at Zelda games :P lucky they aren't like the chickens on the other point of view...

Menasthos
Feb 7, 2013, 09:59 PM
The exact reason because they don't die but dig a hole escaping: they are too much cute to deserve to die burning like other enemies :)

Laxedrane
Feb 8, 2013, 12:35 AM
Personally. I feel apathetic towards rappies. Now code collect on the dragonkin planet. That made me feel like shit. OH THEY ARE TRYING TO PROTECT SOMETING LET'S KILL THEM AND FIND OUT WHAT IT IS! Oh! It's an egg. COLLECT MORE AND MORE OF THEM.

*FEels like a dick*

Alnet
Feb 8, 2013, 04:52 AM
Given that no Rappy has ever died onscreen in any Phantasy Star game (to my knowledge), I'm ok with roughing them up, even if they don't attack me first. I feel a little bad about it, but I know they'll be ok in a day or so. One of my friends refuses to attack any Rappies at all, and I can kinda understand where he's coming from.
[spoiler-box]This fortunately has never taken place. Rappies are stronger than they look.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e309/redangelalnet/Phantasy%20Star/1109729198557.jpg[/spoiler-box]
Exceptions apply to Rappy Poluc and Rappy Gugg/Igg from PSU and its sequels. Exterminate every last one of those abominations.

NoiseHERO
Feb 8, 2013, 05:00 AM
Only thing you should feel is your thumb pressing your controller, soldier.

Zerex
Feb 8, 2013, 05:02 AM
I must bathe in the blood of a thousand rappies to become their king...

Scale of Judgment
Feb 8, 2013, 08:08 AM
It is human nature to take something that is pure and untainted...And to corrupt it!

Syklo
Feb 8, 2013, 06:08 PM
Rappies want us to hurt them, that's why they sing songs to us.

Aquayoshi
Feb 8, 2013, 06:30 PM
Luna hates Rappies. She's ornithophobic (afraid of birds), but much of the fear comes from the thought of a bird swooping down on her with razor-sharp talons, and since Rappies are cute, weak, and flightless, she isn't really afraid of them at all. Therefore, she thrashes them with extreme sadistic glee whenever the chance presents itself, as a way of "getting back" at whatever bird(s?) traumatized her in her childhood (back when she was still human). ...Probably.

As for me personally, it's funny to RP as a Rappy-hater, but I personally have nothing against them, really. They have just the right mixture of cuteness and annoyance to make me like them a little, but not feel bad about riddling their behinds with lead.

Gama
Feb 8, 2013, 07:57 PM
regular rappies i dont really care, the rare rappy's r so fluffy <.<

Crystal_Shard
Feb 8, 2013, 11:44 PM
B-b-but, they're asking to be hit! They walk around all cheerful and all, carrying valuable grinders that we need... it's all their fault! If they stopped carrying grinders we wouldn't have to hurt them! If not for them I wouldn't have had to get rid of the evidence this way!
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.crystal-shard.com/phantasy-star/pso2-poor-rappy.jpg
Note: The Rappy survived anyway[/SPOILER-BOX]
*sobs*

We're all heartless monsters... orz All according to Doodoo's nefarious plans.

To be fair, even if one wanted to be pacifistic towards them, it's not like your companions (human or NPC) would actually stop hitting them anyway. XD

And on another note, I think the Arks need to start making more units out of Rappy feathers. After all, the rappies don't seem to sustain any serious injuries no matter what they get stabbed with... :3