PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Will PSO2 NA IP block Japan...?

Zipzo
Feb 8, 2013, 10:16 PM
In a fun turn of events I actually found myself relocating to Japan (for those interested, it's to be a teacher). English still being my native language I'm still interested in playing on the NA server should it be possible.

I'm curious if you think the NA servers will block residents of Japan. I fully plan on playing on the JP servers (it always helps my reading to see it everywhere), but I have many friends who plan on playing the NA server exclusively. Hoping I'll get the chance to play with them without forcing all of them to go through the trouble of getting the Japanese one (which they probably wouldn't do, they'd rather just play a non-IP blocked game).

Did PSU NA IP block Japan?

Thanks for the input.

BIG OLAF
Feb 8, 2013, 10:18 PM
No, many Japanese players played the Xbox version of PSU...for a while, until most of them realized how dumb that was and switched to their home servers.

Dr.No
Feb 8, 2013, 10:19 PM
In no version of PSU did they block IPs from Japan. In fact, on the 360 version of PSU, JP and International players could play together.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 8, 2013, 10:37 PM
SoA block any type of foreigners? haha! they need all the money they can get! :3

And I assume JP players who were console only played the xbox version because the xbox over there could only connected to our servers

Maronji
Feb 8, 2013, 10:58 PM
Generally, it's something of a split between region-locked and region-free in standard F2P games brought over from Asia. Generally, if they do apply a region-lock, it's to keep only the players from that region playing that version of the game and to corral other players onto their own native servers (although there have been some odd few cases where players from certain regions were rendered unable to play the game at all unless a NA/EU server existed).

From what I've observed, however, servers for such games in the North America and Europe regions typically, if not almost always, run region-free, allowing anyone and everyone to play the game there. This can cause problems with how the game runs for everyone depending on what kind of game it is (see Fantasy Earth Zero (which, sadly, was dated (it's honestly the perfect example of one of the worst-case scenarios that could occur for NA/EU PSO2; came a few years after it's initial Japanese release and started pretty far back in the pipeline) and died off over a year or two ago) and Dynasty Warriors Online).

This isn't always the case, however, as some games will not apply a region lock at all (see Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Online (not that I ever remember what its proper name is)), though it's arguable that these games are the exception to the rule. Ultimately, it really just comes down to whether or not they decide to implement one at some point, but I can't imagine Sega deciding to add a region lock on the NA/EU servers since, as far as I've observed, it rarely, if ever, happens.

The above, however, is merely based on my observations (and things in my memory that, admittingly, are somewhat cloudy), so I'm probably wrong on a few things, but it's probably safe to say that you have nothing to worry about (unless the unthinkable happens).

Lumpen Thingy
Feb 9, 2013, 01:15 AM
didn't happen in JP PSOBB or JP PSU so I don't see it happening now

CJ Johnny
Feb 9, 2013, 01:31 AM
Give me ONE (1) good reason to play on the NA Server.

Most of everyone knows the NA have a lot less to offer.
Let me guess, having problem handling the facts.

I don't use Exg P-t_h.

By the way.
Maronji.
Well said.

Syklo
Feb 9, 2013, 01:47 AM
Give me ONE (1) good reason to play on the NA Server.

Most of everyone knows the NA have a lot less to offer.
Let me guess, having problem handling the facts.

I don't use Exg P-t_h.

By the way.
Maronji.
Well said.
Not having to go premium to be able to trade or play market (possibly).

-is being an idiot speculating things that are almost impossible-

Lostbob117
Feb 9, 2013, 02:12 AM
didn't happen in JP PSOBB or JP PSU so I don't see it happening now

You read the question wrong, they're asking if SOA will block jp players. The answer is no.

RedRaz0r
Feb 9, 2013, 02:31 AM
You read the question wrong, they're asking if SOA will block jp players. The answer is no.

The answer is NOT "no".

The answer is most likely not.

In PSU 360, the server was defined as JP/NA 360. They had a JP 360 PSU web page that would get the updates listed prior to the USA page getting it.

PSO2 is region specific. So who knows, they COULD block JP if they wanted to. Will they? Probably not. But they COULD.