PDA

View Full Version : Subclass for Gunslash Hunter

Jim
Feb 9, 2013, 05:51 PM
Yes, I am a (Melee) Gunslash Hunter. And I'll probably continue being a Gunslash Hunter regardless of what's said here.

And yes, some people won't like that. Come at me, bro. :nerd:

haha That being said, I'm trying to decide what kind of setup I want to run as a Hunter. I'm subbing Force right now, but I only use Shifta, Resta, and Anti, so I'll be going Techter once my Force hits 30.

I've goofed with the Fighter trees a little and it has some interesting potential as well. It's a big DPS boost, but since I'm maining Gunslash I'm obviously never going to be a DPS rockstar.

So what does PSO World think? HUmar-TE? HUmar-FI? Maybe I should just go HUmar-RA so I can Weak Bullet things myself. :wacko:

Z-0
Feb 9, 2013, 05:55 PM
Funnily enough, best thing to do with Gunslash as HU is to find Additional Bullet (drops from the rare Snow Banther), sub RA for Weak Hit Advance and spam that thing. Thrillsplosion is also very nice.

And yes, this is even on HU despite the attacks taking R-Atk. They're that much better than the melee side of the slash.

If you insist on using the melee attacks as well, sub FI instead. Shifta is not significant enough , Deband is lol, Resta is unrequired unless you get hit way too much and SEs can just be waited out, since they're not that threatening (except Panic in certain situations, which is only in Continent anyway).

Or if you really like your supports too much, just take TE.

TehblackUchiha
Feb 9, 2013, 06:03 PM
I want a nersir so i can be a fi/fo. Hu/fo seems to work with nersir just look at this video. Technics actually seem to do decent damage. Gunslash was actually my favorite weapon of the game when i first started until double sabers came out :-P. Additional bullet is now one of the best PA's to use with gunslash now because it has a good spread, range and does decent damage. FO may do good as a sub rather than techer for effectiveness of technics. Techer may be good if you don't intend to do offensive damage with techs and want things like pp restore, shifta etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8E8owOLwM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8E8owOLwM

Jim
Feb 9, 2013, 06:21 PM
Funnily enough, best thing to do with Gunslash as HU is to find Additional Bullet (drops from the rare Snow Banther), sub RA for Weak Hit Advance and spam that thing. Thrillsplosion is also very nice.

And yes, this is even on HU despite the attacks taking R-Atk. They're that much better than the melee side of the slash.

If you insist on using the melee attacks as well, sub FI instead. Shifta is not significant enough , Deband is lol, Resta is unrequired unless you get hit way too much and SEs can just be waited out, since they're not that threatening (except Panic in certain situations, which is only in Continent anyway).

Or if you really like your supports too much, just take TE.

Yes, I am stubbornly sticking with the 'Slash for the melee portion. I'm a PSO1 saberfag, not gonna pretend otherwise. haha

I do enjoy support. My roommate is a RAcast-GU, and keeping him healed/buffed is fulfilling. However, I acknowledge that my weapon preference gimps my character a bit. No way around that really. Will Techter be a significant contribution to the party once we're all 55/55? I'm drawn to HUmar-TE, but I'm not as stubborn about my subclass, so I'd go HUmar-FI if my contribution to the team would be significantly greater.

I want a nersir so i can be a fi/fo. Hu/fo seems to work with nersir just look at this video. Technics actually seem to do decent damage. Gunslash was actually my favorite weapon of the game when i first started until double sabers came out :-P. Additional bullet is now one of the best PA's to use with gunslash now because it has a good spread, range and does decent damage. FO may do good as a sub rather than techer for effectiveness of technics. Techer may be good if you don't intend to do offensive damage with techs and want things like pp restore, shifta etc.

If I'm going to be using techs, it will be support only, so Techter is probably the way to go for me. Additional bullet seems nice. I haven't really field tested it since it's a little more "gun" and less "slash", but all of my Gunslash PAs are level 10, so I'll take it for a spin tonight I suppose.

A little bonus info:
[SPOILER-BOX]The PAs I'm using right now are Rage Dance, Tri-Impact, Slash Rave. My most common combo is:

<Swing 1>, <Tri-Impact>, <Swing 3>, <Rage Dance>

I also have an alternate pallet that's all Slash Rave that I use to basically hover infinitely when I'm fighting bosses.[/SPOILER-BOX]

SociableTyrannosaur
Feb 9, 2013, 06:23 PM
that's about 3 times longer than it would take as a Fi/Hu at that time, 5x longer than a Fo/Te would take and about 10 times longer than a Gu/Ra would take.

I mean it works but you could do better if you care about that sort of thing.

Jim
Feb 9, 2013, 06:39 PM
that's about 3 times longer than it would take as a Fi/Hu at that time, 5x longer than a Fo/Te would take and about 10 times longer than a Gu/Ra would take.

I mean it works but you could do better if you care about that sort of thing.

I had thought about using Fighter as a primary class because I DO love my Monkey King Bar. (And will moreso if they ever decide to give us the Blue Black Stone) However, according to the skill simulator on Cirnopedia, S.Atk and all manners of Def would be the same whether I picked HU/FI or FI/HU. Additionally, with HU/FI, R.Atk and HP would be higher, and T.Atk would be lower.

This makes me think that Hunter is the obvious choice if one is maining Gunslash.

SociableTyrannosaur
Feb 9, 2013, 07:00 PM
Well you're looking to focus mainly on GS? I might Go RA/FI since it will give you better access to GSes in general, gives you WB and gives you Fi's damage bonuses.

UnLucky
Feb 9, 2013, 07:26 PM
Having Ranger will make the Gun' part so much better you'd never want to 'slash.

Go TE/FO and main a GS to just be a support tech only class with an ornamental weapon. Your Resta won't even take a hit at all!

I mean a HU/(te/fo) wouldn't be much different, but your techs will be bad.

HU/FI will make your meager 'slash damage kinda better, if you're really against shooting bullets.

Jim
Feb 9, 2013, 07:49 PM
Having Ranger will make the Gun' part so much better you'd never want to 'slash.

Go TE/FO and main a GS to just be a support tech only class with an ornamental weapon. Your Resta won't even take a hit at all!

I mean a HU/(te/fo) wouldn't be much different, but your techs will be bad.

HU/FI will make your meager 'slash damage kinda better, if you're really against shooting bullets.

I use a Gunslash because it feels like a saber, (Notice in my sigpic I'm using the least gun-looking one in the game) so yeah, I never shoot unless I'm bored or chaining it with melee to be fancy.

I'm perfectly ok with not being "competitive" with my damage output. PSO1 was all about sabers for me, and I'd rather relive that than bother trying to measure up to everyone else's damage output.

It basically comes down to whether I'm going to focus on getting my DPS as high as it CAN go with Fighter, or offering support to my fellow Hunters/Fighters with Resta and Shifta as Techter.

gigawuts
Feb 9, 2013, 08:13 PM
If you're going to focus entirely on the melee aspect of the gunslash (which is unfortunately pretty lacking), I suggest trying hu/fi and hu/gu. Nothing helps gunslash melee quite like HU does, but FI is good for the damage. Chase Advance and Chase Bind would work particularly well with the gunslash, I bet. The gunslash is one of the best weapons to put an SE on due to the sheer number of hits most PA's dish out.

GU has Attack PP Restorate, though, which REALLY amps up the PP return on gunslash to pretty phenomenal degrees, letting you spit out PA after PA with only a few swings to get back to max PP. Chain Trigger is also nice, but situational (more so on GS than usual).

Alisha
Feb 9, 2013, 09:49 PM
im interezted in this too and hu/ra sounds best. use weak bullet to buff damage. te/ra could work but i think step attack is a must for gs melee.

Rien
Feb 9, 2013, 10:34 PM
You'd probably want to be HU/FI since you're dead set on being a melee person with a gunslash.

Rage Dance, Serpent Air and maybe Ein Raketen are your best friends. Slash Rave can help too.

Jim
Feb 10, 2013, 09:02 AM
If you're going to focus entirely on the melee aspect of the gunslash (which is unfortunately pretty lacking), I suggest trying hu/fi and hu/gu. Nothing helps gunslash melee quite like HU does, but FI is good for the damage. Chase Advance and Chase Bind would work particularly well with the gunslash, I bet. The gunslash is one of the best weapons to put an SE on due to the sheer number of hits most PA's dish out.

GU has Attack PP Restorate, though, which REALLY amps up the PP return on gunslash to pretty phenomenal degrees, letting you spit out PA after PA with only a few swings to get back to max PP. Chain Trigger is also nice, but situational (more so on GS than usual).

I'm actually interested in Gunner as a subclass after reading your post. PP hit restorate sounds pretty sweet, and I frequently get enormous combos. I use Slash Rave on bosses to basically fly while attacking, and PP is the limiting reagent that ultimately forces me back to the ground. With no PP boost at all, I can easily land 50 hit combos. With a PP boost, I bet I could break a 100-point combo no problem. How much of a damage boost would I get if I coupled that with Chain Trigger and Chain Finish? EDIT: According to what I'm reading, PAs act as "finishers" with the Chain skills, so does that mean I can't use them to increase my combo count?

Granted, I'd be taking a hit of at least 120 S.Atk to use Gunner, but it does inspire some interesting ideas.

Coatl
Feb 10, 2013, 10:39 AM
I get the impression you won't be using the r-atk based PAs much. If that is the case, then subbing RA probably won't be very useful to you, since weak hit advance only applies to shooting attacks.

So go ahead and try HU/GU! You'll have chain trigger at your disposal. Gunslash isn't too terrible of a chain builder either. I mean, it is certaintly better than any other melee weapon besides double sabers (and maybe daggers).
PP attack restore is universallly useful, and would give you that extra umf when using gunslashes.

Jim
Feb 10, 2013, 11:43 AM
I get the impression you won't be using the r-atk based PAs much. If that is the case, then subbing RA probably won't be very useful to you, since weak hit advance only applies to shooting attacks.

So go ahead and try HU/GU! You'll have chain trigger at your disposal. Gunslash isn't too terrible of a chain builder either. I mean, it is certaintly better than any other melee weapon besides double sabers (and maybe daggers).
PP attack restore is universallly useful, and would give you that extra umf when using gunslashes.

Yes, I use melee PAs. Rage Dance, Tri-Impact, and Slash Rave mostly

gigawuts
Feb 10, 2013, 12:51 PM
Try getting good with serpent air, too. That attack has kind of a wonky hitbox, but if becomes pretty great when you're good with it. I find it much more useful than tri impact.

Also, much of CT's use lies in teammates using their many-hit PA's to up your count. Only your PA's will finish the CT, not theirs. So if you're rolling with a ranger, his one point will do great things for your CT.

Jim
Feb 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
Try getting good with serpent air, too. That attack has kind of a wonky hitbox, but if becomes pretty great when you're good with it. I find it much more useful than tri impact.

Also, much of CT's use lies in teammates using their many-hit PA's to up your count. Only your PA's will finish the CT, not theirs. So if you're rolling with a ranger, his one point will do great things for your CT.

I've goofed with Serpent Air, and I didn't really like it at first because, yes, the hitbox is wonky. Does it do a lot more damage than Tri-Impact? I like using Tri-Impact to close distance when I don't want to break my combo, but I haven't really measured it's DPS.

gigawuts
Feb 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
Serpent Air has a kind of AOE cylinder around your character, hitting in front but also behind you. It's pretty good when you're used to it, and the flinchlock it inflicts is pretty great. Due to its AOE and the way you don't move forward, you can use it to nice effect by just running into a few enemies and setting it off. You can also use it for airborne or elevated targets, and gain air while doing it.

I say give it another go. Try it on wynderas, quartz wings, and vol's front horn (or even his back if you can get him to stand still).

I'm a pretty big fan of gunslash, always have been. It's just it doesn't have very good range on its attacks is all. I'd really like it to get some better moves with either more range, or more mobility (like dead approach or grapple charge, for instance).

edit: And actually, you might enjoy fi/gu with gunslash as well. The stances might need some getting used to, but chase advance and bind will do glorious things for you. Try to bring multiple gunslashes with different status effects for different minibosses, so you're dealing the bonus damage from chase advance as much as possible. The big 3 for minibosses will be shock, mirage, and burn. I'm pretty sure that covers everything. Poison is also very good for adds, and panic is REALLY good on gwanahda since it will vacuum in its own tentacles (making them much easier for you to hit them all).

Also, you CAN bind minibosses. It's not done often because they're immune to so many SE's, leaving far fewer opportunities to do it. But yeah, I've done it myself. It's neat.

Jim
Feb 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
Serpent Air has a kind of AOE cylinder around your character, hitting in front but also behind you. It's pretty good when you're used to it, and the flinchlock it inflicts is pretty great. Due to its AOE and the way you don't move forward, you can use it to nice effect by just running into a few enemies and setting it off. You can also use it for airborne or elevated targets, and gain air while doing it.

I say give it another go. Try it on wynderas, quartz wings, and vol's front horn (or even his back if you can get him to stand still).

I'm a pretty big fan of gunslash, always have been. It's just it doesn't have very good range on its attacks is all. I'd really like it to get some better moves with either more range, or more mobility (like dead approach or grapple charge, for instance).

Yeah, range can be an issue. I usually make up for it with Tri-Impact and Step Attack. The AOE damage makes sense. What I've been doing is starting at one side of a crowd of MOBs so they're all in front of me and and bowling my way through them. Step Attack is also very nice. You can literally whip around 180 degrees with practice, and the way I have my PAs set up allows me to follow that stab up with a Rage Dance. Very easy to dart around and dispense of a sparse crowd of smaller MOBs that way. I'll give Serpent Air another go though. Never know what'll come of it and it does look really cool.

gigawuts
Feb 10, 2013, 01:35 PM
In case you missed my edit, I'll quote it again because you might wind up preferring this (Sorry, I'm a chronic "oh I could have said something else" post editor)

edit: And actually, you might enjoy fi/gu with gunslash as well. The stances might need some getting used to, but chase advance and bind will do glorious things for you. Try to bring multiple gunslashes with different status effects for different minibosses, so you're dealing the bonus damage from chase advance as much as possible. The big 3 for minibosses will be shock, mirage, and burn. I'm pretty sure that covers everything. Poison is also very good for adds, and panic is REALLY good on gwanahda since it will vacuum in its own tentacles (making them much easier for you to hit them all).

Also, you CAN bind minibosses. It's not done often because they're immune to so many SE's, leaving far fewer opportunities to do it. But yeah, I've done it myself. It's neat.

Jim
Feb 10, 2013, 02:27 PM
In case you missed my edit, I'll quote it again because you might wind up preferring this (Sorry, I'm a chronic "oh I could have said something else" post editor)

Haha I'm the same way. Definitely something worth trying out. So many options....

gigawuts
Feb 10, 2013, 02:48 PM
Something REALLY good to know about status effects is you can MASSIVELY increase the odds of affixing success by using either mutation or the right soul. The souls don't really make sense all the time, but mutation is simple enough. When turning level II affixes into level III, mutation adds 30% to the odds. With this the best you can get is 80.

Soul adds 20%, which sounds worse, but it does this to ANYTHING resulting in a level III affix. Including level III -> level III, which has far better odds than level II -> level III.

So you can do soul/statuseffectIII + anything/statuseffectIII + anything/anything = 100%
Or soul + statuseffectIII anything = 80% (works with 1 slot, cheap to keep trying)

I use this method for all of my weapons. Soul+damageIII+statuseffectIII would be better, but meh. I do that level of investment (soul+damageIII+boost) on units I don't plan on replacing for a long time, not weapons. I have too many weapons to want to do that for them.

But yeah, a level III status effect can be quite cheap if you use the system properly. Weapons I don't even use much have level III SE's because of it, gotten via 80% chance on 1 slot.

edit: In these cases the "anything/anything" and "anything" weapons are the target you want to give the status effects.

Jim
Feb 11, 2013, 07:29 PM
Something REALLY good to know about status effects is you can MASSIVELY increase the odds of affixing success by using either mutation or the right soul. The souls don't really make sense all the time, but mutation is simple enough. When turning level II affixes into level III, mutation adds 30% to the odds. With this the best you can get is 80.

Soul adds 20%, which sounds worse, but it does this to ANYTHING resulting in a level III affix. Including level III -> level III, which has far better odds than level II -> level III.

So you can do soul/statuseffectIII + anything/statuseffectIII + anything/anything = 100%
Or soul + statuseffectIII anything = 80% (works with 1 slot, cheap to keep trying)

I use this method for all of my weapons. Soul+damageIII+statuseffectIII would be better, but meh. I do that level of investment (soul+damageIII+boost) on units I don't plan on replacing for a long time, not weapons. I have too many weapons to want to do that for them.

But yeah, a level III status effect can be quite cheap if you use the system properly. Weapons I don't even use much have level III SE's because of it, gotten via 80% chance on 1 slot.

edit: In these cases the "anything/anything" and "anything" weapons are the target you want to give the status effects.

I really should learn more about affixing. Thanks for the info, man, I'm sure it'll come in handy.

Also, I tried Serpent Air again and loved it. My Gunslash skills have gotten better since I learned it methinks. I put it at the end of my primary pallet, so now my pallets are...

<Rage Dance>, <Tri-Impact>, <Serpent Air>

and for bosses...

<Slash Rave>, <Slash Rave>, <Slash Rave>

I love how Tri-impact looks. I think it gets overlooked a lot because it's only 3 blows, but it closes distance without breaking flow and has decent reach to boot. Plus, the last blow does double damage, so it's not exactly weak if you get all three hits in. (I think. lol I'm going to compare figures a little more carefully tonight.)