PDA

View Full Version : Advice as playing as gunner

Mekhana
Feb 12, 2013, 11:35 PM
So I just got my gunner subclass and honestly I can't understand the whole craze I get from people playing the class. As a ranger I can dictate range in engagements and do good damage at any range, most of the time I can engage targets from maximum range exploiting the clumsy AI and behavior of the monsters that slowly make their way over.

My launchers do massive aoe damage and finishes entire swarms off in a couple shots and knocks everything down too.

Meanwhile my rifle is great for precision shots such as weak points and has better single target DPS with sniping. I also got weak bullet to support the party.

Sure ranger is a pretty boring class and its not flashy like gunner but I was a hunter in PSOBB so I'm used to boring but I still don't see the point here.

Seravi Edalborez
Feb 12, 2013, 11:42 PM
Main draw is the Shift dodge flip. Not having the range of Rifles and Launchers doesn't really matter* when you're invincible. Rifle and Launcher also can't indefinitely maintain airtime, something TMGs can do and can sometimes abuse for bosses and trash mobs alike.

If you're GU/RA (you should be; Gunner has 0 reason to sub anything else) you can still use Rifle and Weak Bullet. Later on all-class Launchers basically give you the best of both worlds anyways.

*There are better ways to optimize using Gunslash and Launcher for trash mobs. I know. But Elder Rebellion spam can still solve everything with less effort.

Galax
Feb 13, 2013, 12:04 AM
Correction: Zero reason for utmost efficiency out of the class. If you want to experiment, there's nothing stopping you, but it probably won't be as good as GURA.

Other than that, if you don't feel like using ER all the time, dead approach to satellite aim to reverse tap or bullet squall is fun.

SociableTyrannosaur
Feb 13, 2013, 12:07 AM
Not to mention Gu/Ra can outright kill a lot of bosses in less than 15 seconds.

blace
Feb 13, 2013, 12:11 AM
I just do it to stay in the air out of hit range from bosses while raining bullets.

Kion
Feb 13, 2013, 12:17 AM
Weak Bullet + Chain Hit + Chain Finish and finish off with Elder Rebellion after a 50+ hit combo and you hit of a chain of 15k damages followed by 40k+ on the ending hits.

Coatl
Feb 13, 2013, 12:17 AM
Nothing says bosskiller more than an elder rebellion right in boss' face.
Out of all classes, gunner is definitely the most classy.

jerrykun
Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 AM
So I just got my gunner subclass and honestly I can't understand the whole craze I get from people playing the class. As a ranger I can dictate range in engagements and do good damage at any range, most of the time I can engage targets from maximum range exploiting the clumsy AI and behavior of the monsters that slowly make their way over.

My launchers do massive aoe damage and finishes entire swarms off in a couple shots and knocks everything down too.

Meanwhile my rifle is great for precision shots such as weak points and has better single target DPS with sniping. I also got weak bullet to support the party.

Sure ranger is a pretty boring class and its not flashy like gunner but I was a hunter in PSOBB so I'm used to boring but I still don't see the point here.

THIS ^
I really enjoy playing Ranger, I like how you can dictate range in engagements and attack from distance.
I think that the new subclasses (FI,GU,TE) are just offensive versions of the former ones, that's why they give them good close combat stats/skills (gunner increased dmg with close range skill, fighter stances, techer improved deband and ridiculous strike defense, techer critical shifta), this is why I think the new subclasses have crazy DPS (because they allow for a constant output) but the former ones are better at controlling and supporting and require more thought to play.

Also, like Seravi Edalborez said, you could just main the new classes and use an all-class weapon to get the best of both worlds.

I'm gonna test GU once I finish the unlocking quest but I'll continue the road I chose as RAnger/TEcher, I want to see if I can revive the RAmarl feeling I had when I played PSO (and test critical shifta and PP regen with some Ranger playstyle)

Goukezitsu
Feb 13, 2013, 12:32 AM
It's just the survivability and extreme 1 point damage. That's about it.

I found it wildly over rated in the damage category. People were making it sound like it 1 shots everything. It really REALLY destroys bosses but for everything else its just okay. The thing that was rated correctly was how easy it is to play. If you are on gunner, the game becomes about 1000x easier than playing hunter. Its like night and day.

I agree though that people are making a bit of a fuss about gunner like it's the end all be all. It might be due to the fact that its the easiest to gear so its probably a lot easier to see large differences right away vs hunter which needs 30 weapons from enemies in an alternate dimension and really good armor with a lot of pp to function at all and its the easiest to play.

oratank
Feb 13, 2013, 12:36 AM
play Gu like play Hu and have fun

Mekhana
Feb 13, 2013, 12:40 AM
I'll keep practicing then so I get better as gunner.

Thanks for the info.

SociableTyrannosaur
Feb 13, 2013, 12:52 AM
yeah the thing about Gu/Ra is you can do everything Ra can do but you also become the thing that turns bosses into soup as they spawn.

Soultrigger
Feb 13, 2013, 01:23 AM
You can go RaFi if you prefer Ranger (which is arguably a lot better than GuRa). Stance multipliers work better than Zero Range Advance (even more if you use Wise).

In other words, Homing Emission.

jerrykun
Feb 13, 2013, 01:31 AM
You can go RaFi if you prefer Ranger (which is arguably a lot better than GuRa). Stance multipliers work better than Zero Range Advance (even more if you use Wise).

In other words, Homing Emission.

Would need Homing Emission Disc Level 11, the difference in damage from level 10 to 11 is huge compared to other PAs.

Edit: 180 Power at level 10 and 399 at level 11

darthvader
Feb 13, 2013, 02:23 AM
one advice, i don't know whether this is already known or not here, but if you used two consecutive elder rebellions at midair, the second one would trigger standing snipe assuming you did the timing fast enough. so definitely max both of your standing snipe skills

Also, im not sure that this is bug or not (i hope not though, it will reduce my damage output if they fix this)

edit : im also not sure wether this is my critical or not since it's always triggered at 2nd elder

Zorafim
Feb 13, 2013, 01:17 PM
The two 40+ twin mech PAs, what were they called... Infinity Fire and Elder Rebellion? The class changes dramatically when you get those. Gunner went from my worst class to my best class the instant I bought those. Search the shops for some cheap disks of those, and you'll see what the draw of the class is.

Coatl
Feb 13, 2013, 02:49 PM
I still use satellite aim and elder rebellion in conjuction with aerial shooting as gunner.
I can never understand how people say gunner gets boring.