PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one on the planet who exclusively uses dark techs?

Zyrusticae
Feb 24, 2013, 04:27 AM
Serious question.

It seems to me that much of why I don't consider Force/Techer as OP as others on this board is simply due to this fact. As you should well know, all Megid techniques are either slow (megid, gimegid), have limited range (ramegid, megid), or have little-to-no AoE (gimegid, samegid), in exchange for doing the highest base damage of any element type. These factors mean that it is essentially the most "melee-friendly" element, as hunters and fighters get plenty of opportunity to catch up to the targets before the damage even lands.

And before you ask - I use it because I like the flavor. Big balls of exploding darkness, what's not to like? Plus it synergizes with Aiza's personality...

(Note: I do switch to my lightning tree when Falz pops up, due to his obscenely high dark resist.)

holmwood
Feb 24, 2013, 04:29 AM
Samegid from the skies with a talis.:D I use it all the time for bosses.

For mobs, I spam megid with z function; its like a launcher really, radius is great.

:(

Syklo
Feb 24, 2013, 05:43 AM
You're not the only one on the planet who exclusively uses dark techs.....

you're the only one on the ship.

Hosaka
Feb 24, 2013, 07:54 AM
Sounds like a bad case of 中二病 to me.

BIG OLAF
Feb 24, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'd say "yes", since anyone who's playing the game correctly is using all the techs that have a specific use and situation (most of them).

Caledonia
Feb 24, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'd say "yes", since anyone who's playing the game correctly efficiently is using all the techs that have a specific use and situation (most of them).

Fixed.

Yeah, I switch between tech set-ups based on what area I'm in and the only set I don't use extensively is Wind, which is regulated to fighting Rockbear and Gwadahna(thingy) (And Naberius TA I suppose)

As for sicking exclusively to one set; even you switch over to lightning. I think the only one's who stick exclusively to a set are the NPCs, Echo, Marlu, Theodore, Barbara...

Rien
Feb 24, 2013, 10:05 AM
Did you try poison ignition?

Zyrusticae
Feb 24, 2013, 10:08 AM
If by "all the techs" you mean "everything including things you don't have mastery I and II for", you're doing it wrong. Straight-up.

The bonus damage from elemental weaknesses are tiny compared to the 44% boost from mastering an element. This is why I have a skill tree for every single element (except ice, which, until Sabarta came along, simply has never had any appeal to me - and I'm not making a skill tree for ONE tech).

Of course, to actually do things efficiently there are all of two set-ups you can use: a fire tree with territory burst on the techer side, or a lightning tree with territory burst on the techer side. Hit TB -> zondeel -> kill everything inside. It's efficient and horribly boring, so you will never see me do this.

Elemental weaknesses will never be strong enough to make up for an element's inherent weaknesses (the extra damage is not going to make, say, barta, suddenly gain a larger AoE than foie or zonde).

Anyways... yeah, I guess the only characters who do stick exclusively to one element are the NPCs. But how about we exclude Falz from the equation, since the bastard just has sickly high dark resist in the first place? (I'm talking the difference between hitting him for 3k damage on a weak bulleted weak point to hitting him for 10k a cast... yeah, he has over 60% dark resist).

Did you try poison ignition?
Yeah, I actually have it, mainly because there's literally nothing else to put points into once you've maxed out all the other dark tree stuff. I don't really get very many opportunities to use it, but it is nice to use on any of the larger poison-vulnerable mobs for some quick extra damage (hits around 10k every time, more on a weak point - very useful on crabahda). Personally, I think it could use a buff, as it's not really worth the point investment atm with its 30s cooldown.

Rien
Feb 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
Well, he's the Goddamn Dark Falz. That's kind of a given.

Is your poison ignition max leveled, btw? I keep getting inconsistent reports about how hard it hits (and I'm not a techer myself, I can't tell)

Requiem Aeternam
Feb 24, 2013, 10:15 AM
I use Megid a lot especially in the Floating Continents where I usually play. It will become my main tech when I unlock Poison Ignition with my Fighter-Techer.

BIG OLAF
Feb 24, 2013, 10:16 AM
If by "all the techs" you mean "everything including things you don't have mastery I and II for", you're doing it wrong. Straight-up.

So, you don't use Zondeel, or like Gigrants, or anything...?

Rien
Feb 24, 2013, 10:19 AM
Well Zyrusticae already stated he/she does not use Zondeel.... except for Falz Elder.

Z-0
Feb 24, 2013, 10:21 AM
Even with a pure tree, other techniques definitely have their use. I use Gibarta, Zan, Razan, Sazan, Grants, Gigrants, Zondeel and Megid on a fire tree, for example, because there are situations where it's better than using your 44% in a mastery.

Zyrusticae
Feb 24, 2013, 10:59 AM
Eh. I do use Zan at times. I call it "the Lawnmower Technique". You can probably guess what I use it for. ;-)

Well, he's the Goddamn Dark Falz. That's kind of a given.

Is your poison ignition max leveled, btw? I keep getting inconsistent reports about how hard it hits (and I'm not a techer myself, I can't tell)
That doesn't mean they need to make his weak points as resistant as the rest of his body. :p

And yes, my poison ignition is maxed. Honestly, though, even if it one-shot Caterdran it wouldn't really be worth the investment - the 30s cooldown, point-blank AoE, and annoyingly lengthy cast animation all count dramatically against it.

Sayara
Feb 24, 2013, 11:17 AM
I like to use Megiverse if im doing the whole FO/TE thing. Stay in the back and let them (Allies) do the vampire work for themselves. Considering how goddamn fragile i am as that class.

Ezodagrom
Feb 24, 2013, 11:53 AM
I use the elements that enemies are weak against, if an enemy is weak to fire, I use fire techs, if it's weak to dark, I use dark, and so on.

Tenlade
Feb 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
Went the Megid tech tree as a techer, and its the main techs i use when playing as a TE/FI. Megid actually has some nice splash damage, and Samegid is powerful from a distance/point blank, letting all 3 shots hit.
I'm kinda thankful that darkers don't actually have any real dark resistance, though i tend to use grants and zan on them anyway just to inflict statuses for chase advance.

spent points in poison ignition, didnt feel worth it, because the only enemies id love to use it on (high hp ones like wondas, breedas etc) all seem to be immune to poison or at the very least, really resist it.

Zorafim
Feb 24, 2013, 04:22 PM
I only use fire techs. I could never go back to normal cast speed. I don't know why it seemed like a good idea to have a bunch of great skills under one tree, and have the rest have bad skills.
Funny thing is, fire is my least favorite element, both visually and concept wise.

gigawuts
Feb 24, 2013, 04:49 PM
I only use fire techs. I could never go back to normal cast speed. I don't know why it seemed like a good idea to have a bunch of great skills under one tree, and have the rest have bad skills.
Funny thing is, fire is my least favorite element, both visually and concept wise.

There should REALLY be a different setup for force and techer trees, where you get a class element mastery (10% ice, lightning, fire)just below tatk up 1 and a class element spec (25% fire charge time, unlocks photon flare, -5 bolt PP cost) as two alternate paths (you could and ideally WOULD take both), with PP revival below that, THEN cut the bonuses of the existing elemental spec skills in half.

It's ridiculous that PP revival forces a half-spec in fire, but makes lightning that much more inaccessible. I get that the idea is probably to make all forces partially good with fire, but lightning benefits way more from its spec skill which is way more out of the way. It should make you partially good with everything without demanding some crazy amount of SP.

Techer would do the same, a semi-spec & all-bonus right off the bat, and this would make certain skills more accessible after the fact.

Best possible spec would remain the same, you just would have a roughly equal level of proficiency with everything by the time you get PP Revival. Then don't put stuff like tech charge advance on the fire tree, since it's meant to be used by every element.

Cyron Tanryoku
Feb 24, 2013, 05:06 PM
If I was force I'd play Pokeman style