PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 looks like PSU HD (graphics).

Emizel
Feb 25, 2013, 02:00 PM
I'm looking back on some PSU videos, and you know...

PSO 2 doesn't look all that much better than PSU. just at a higher resolution.

I really hope they upgrade PSO 2's graphics at some point...

Lekti
Feb 25, 2013, 02:04 PM
The Graphics look a hell of a lot better to me, are you playing with the graphics settings on mid or low?

Meji
Feb 25, 2013, 02:06 PM
Uhm, I don't think so. Graphics are better, and doesn't strangle the CPU in the same way PSU did.

Emizel
Feb 25, 2013, 02:10 PM
of course they are somewhat better but I'm just saying considering the 6 year difference in release dates, the graphics for PSO 2 are pretty subpar. things look really jaggy and character models & faces look like crap when they aren't zoomed in like in the character creation screen (which is always)

enemies don't look much better than PSU's either, vol dragon basically looks like nearly the same model was used.

some of the graphics are actually WORSE than PSU. have you seen the urban/city EQ textures? I want to be sick thinking about it

NoiseHERO
Feb 25, 2013, 02:21 PM
Graphics are somewhere between Nintendo DS and Dreamcast.

I swear there's a thread about this game's weird graphics every month.

Arrancar
Feb 25, 2013, 02:24 PM
Try turning on Ambient Occlusion + some AF + FXAA makes them game look pretty good. Especially when played on a larger 1080+ monitor. Furthermore, the animations are greatly improved IMO, and many other features.

Crysteon
Feb 25, 2013, 02:25 PM
I wonder if OP is playing this game in a toaster....

Zyrusticae
Feb 25, 2013, 02:31 PM

Considering the original PSO was on dreamcast, this is horribly inaccurate (which I guess is the point, but I fail to see why you would even bother saying it).

The game's graphics aren't even on the level of maxing out what you can do on the 360/PS3 - which makes sense, considering how much can be going on during a typical MPA boss battle. Still, I wish they'd throw a few bones towards players like me who have really powerful PCs. I say this a lot, but damn, they really dropped the ball on this one, didn't they?

Though I will say that it's a pretty far cry from "PSU HD". Different environments, for starters, plus the characters are a huge step up thanks to high-resolution textures, a tripled polygon count, normal mapping, and actual use of shaders.

Emizel
Feb 25, 2013, 02:34 PM
uhh, I have a really powerful PC. I'm playing this game with the ingame graphic options maxed and extra options added by my graphics card setting. it still doesn't look good.

what makes you guys think I have a bad PC from my comments? are we playing the same game? for example have you seen the urban city stage that I mentioned above? *puke*

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2013, 02:44 PM
PSU with drivers enhancements (4x SSAA, 16x AF):

[spoiler-box]http://imageshack.us/a/img838/4513/psu038.jpg[/spoiler-box]

PSO2:

[spoiler-box]http://imageshack.us/a/img18/1788/pso2007.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Arrancar
Feb 25, 2013, 02:45 PM
Yeah I see no difference between the pictures [/troll]

Resanoca
Feb 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
You know, I'mma say it since no one else has. PSO has better graphics than both of these games.

supersonix9
Feb 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
They actually are pretty much the same, just with better polygon counts and shaders.

You know, I'mma say it since no one else has. PSO has better graphics than both of these games.

you are obvious troll; gtfo

love you

Arrancar
Feb 25, 2013, 02:55 PM
http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/foto_phantasy_star_online_blue_burst.jpg

I can play this on my Phone now i'm pretty sure.

gigawuts
Feb 25, 2013, 02:56 PM
Honestly, after a set point, better graphics are just eye candy. (Yes I'm aware of the redundancy of that statement)

We've really hit the point where anything better than something like PSO2, as far as polycount goes anyway, is just for people who care superhardcore. Textures aside, this shit looks dandy to me. I'm more interested in what they create with this level of graphics than how many polys and gigs of textures go into it.

supersonix9
Feb 25, 2013, 02:58 PM
Honestly, after a set point, better graphics are just eye candy. (Yes I'm aware of the redundancy of that statement)

We've really hit the point where anything better than something like PSO2, as far as polycount goes anyway, is just for people who care superhardcore. Textures aside, this shit looks dandy to me. I'm more interested in what they create with this level of graphics than how many polys and gigs of textures go into it.

ya dis guys, dis

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2013, 02:59 PM

We've really hit the point where anything better than something like PSO2, as far as polycount goes anyway, is just for people who care superhardcore. Textures aside, this shit looks dandy to me.
I think the same, graphically I think PSO2 is mostly fine the way it is, there's 2 things that could have been better though, one is, like you said, textures, and the other is the draw distance (that pop-in in the tunnels...)

Emizel
Feb 25, 2013, 02:59 PM
http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/foto_phantasy_star_online_blue_burst.jpg

I can play this on my Phone now i'm pretty sure.

considering PSO2 can likely be played on phones, you definitely could play PSO on one ^^;

The Walrus
Feb 25, 2013, 03:03 PM
Smartphone PSO2 looks arguably worse then PSO

ALSO YOU CRAY THINKING PSO2 IS PSUHD

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2013, 03:03 PM
considering PSO2 can likely be played on phones, you definitely could play PSO on one ^^;
Seeing as the PSVita needed to have smaller maps and less enemies for PSO2, there's no way that a phone could handle the game (I know that there's going to be a smartphone "version" of PSO2, but it's not the same game).

Arrancar
Feb 25, 2013, 03:12 PM
Seeing as the PSVita needed to have smaller maps and less enemies for PSO2, there's no way that a phone could handle the game (I know that there's going to be a smartphone "version" of PSO2, but it's not the same game).

^This :D

jooozek
Feb 25, 2013, 03:20 PM
gaming on phones is retarded anyway
lol spastic touch controls

gigawuts
Feb 25, 2013, 03:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4819JoEnp4

Yeah, uh, about that whole PSO2 on phones thing...

Arrancar
Feb 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
???????????????2 es???????????? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4819JoEnp4)

Yeah, uh, about that whole PSO2 on phones thing...

You can do everything! AND MORE!

Now what they should have done is made a Phone game where you play as your mag and level him up manually. It directly translates to your in-game mag. Feeding, anywhere, anytime. Plus Chao like stuff from Sonic.

Zyrusticae
Feb 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who cares "superhardcore" about the graphics, although that is probably a given considering I spent over $900 on the video cards in my system alone (which is probably the cost of every other component connected to my system combined).

Even so, there is no denying that superior visuals aids immersion in very big ways, and can even get players to overlook flaws simply because of the spectacle. Conversely, if the visuals have too many detractors (pop-in, z-fighting, pixelated/obviously cascaded shadows, and so on), it can break immersion and make it harder to play the game.

Personally, though, what really gets me is the difference between playing PSO2 and playing something, anything, from the current generation of consoles on my PC. Some terrain normal mapping alone would make an enormous difference to the visuals...

Arrancar
Feb 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
PSO2 would benefit from ENB tremendously.

Galax
Feb 25, 2013, 03:35 PM
OP, I'm sorry to hear your gameplay is being ruined by graphics because it looks like the horrible taboo don't mention it here PSU. Truly, I am.

But yes, we're playing the same game, and yes, most of us have seen the city EQ maps. I was less concerned with the quality of the graphics, though, and more concerned with is it fitting.

The answer is yes! Yes it is. You're in a city which is on a spaceship that is being ravaged by demonic insects and flying stone fish. The place is dark, full of grays and blacks and a few streaks of silver. There's fire on the horizon and tracer rounds cutting through the air in a desperate attempt to defend the lives of those who remain standing in this now-hellish environment. Forest is seemingly serene, with shafts of light gently pattering the leaf-strewn ground and hollowed out tree trunks from times of laying here and there, not to mention the beauteous tundra mountains in the distance with the shadow of the ethereal tree looming over them; The rockfalls that blocked paths...Ah, such a place can't be touched by anything, right?
This makes it the perfect environment to introduce you to threats. Looks like a walk in the park...It is, just a deadly one.
Then you move underground, going through caves and ravines, wondering if those are Lapis Lazuli blocks and if this is actually Minecraft in disguise, fighting dragonmen and deformed lizards...Probably asking yourself, "What kind of sick fuck would live here? It's horrible!"...You get out of there as fast as you can, besting a signature of PS gameplay - a giant dragon - along the way, only to emerge from that hell into...
A desert. With robots dropping out of the sky and exploding from dunes, and more of those everpresent darkers climbing out of metal and sand alike...You just rely on instinct here. You follow what constructs there are to the heart of the desert, and once you've slain the beast therein, you enter a world of metal halls and crossbraces...But not before you traverse the tundra, naturally!
The tundra is a blindingly white snowland of wonder and flesh hungry mammoths, not to mention the packs of wolves baying for your blood. You shoot and slash and fireball and lightningbolt your way through this, thinking most of these mobs are a little too easy...Quickly reaching the end, the boss of the area more than compensates for your ease getting through. A giant panther on steroids, with laser-pointer vision and a lust for blood awaits you with her partner. Surviving this deadly dance, you move on to...
The Mines, another classic area in the Phantasy Star franchise! There's robots everywhere, going berserk, trying to kill you. Our old friends the Sinow Beats have some descendants here! Tranmizer takes place of Garanz, while Canadines become Guardinanes and Gilchics have become Sparguns and Spardan As. Once you best this area, you come to Vol Opt's big brother at the end, Big Vardha. A hulking machine gone rogue. You see him - as if you could miss him! - and he sees you. He powers up and shows off his giant lasers, daring you to try and take him down. You do, of course! You're an Arks.
With Vardha turned into the world's biggest burning scrap pile, you move on yet again...Continuing your never-ending trek of exploration and discovery in the name of science and grinding fodder for Dudu. It's back to the planet of Caves this time!
Except you're not underground. You're not even aboveground. You are, in fact, on floating round. This is the floating continent, a place of strange colors and stranger foes. Everything here seems to be a reskin of existing mobs...That's SEGAs trademark so far, and we aren't allowed to forget it. But the blue-hued skin of the new Dinians and 'dorans fits well with the landscape. You get through them, encounter a few tougher cousins of Forest mobs, and make your way to the boss fight. This guy fights like an F-19 with better steering. And lasers! Don't forget the lasers. Quartz Dragon doesn't like you. In fact, QD hates you so much that she (I believe QD is a she, while VD is the guy) (Mothers are more vicious) will risk damaging herself by impaling her frontal horn in the ground JUST TO STAB YOU CLEAN THROUGH YOUR CHEST. Such a vicious dragon!
If you manage to beat her, you can win the rights to advance to the Ruins, fight a few ridiculous bosses, then a giant demon turtle. Possibly the TMNT's lesser known deep dark family secret style relative. Zesshrayda doesn't like you either. He is a jet turtle with Dark Breath. He can fire homing Dark Bombs and spin around the field like a giant top just to smash you to a pulp! But he's not that hard.

Throughout all of this, each area has a fitting color scheme, a bit of matching continuity to previous and upcoming areas in the visuals, and at least ONE thing unique to them. Forest seems calm, but is actually deadly early on, not to mention being able to see Tundra in the distance. Caves is open to the sky and you can see parts of Skylands from it. Desert is long, dusty, and has hints of the Tunnels in it with the metal constructs and pathways. Tundra has the big ethereal tree that is actually planted in Ruins. Mines is just...Mines. As it has always been. To make up for the lack of hints to other areas, it has a returning mob from PSO1 - Sinows. Skylands is just flat out pretty and neat with the sadinian houses and whatnot. Ruins...Anyone who denies the beauty of Ruins needs to get their eyes checked.

This is what the 'graphics' of Phantasy Star games are about to me. Not how pretty or how good. Only if they fit or not. Seeing a Gulfur in ruins during a Naberius Natives Assault really pisses me off because it doesn't fit. Gorongos are okay - right color scheme. But Gulfurs? Really? No thanks.

Cyclon
Feb 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
Seeing a Gulfur in ruins during a Naberius Natives Assault really pisses me off because it doesn't fit. Gorongos are okay - right color scheme. But Gulfurs? Really? No thanks.
Plus they throw snow at you. Wait, they don't.

gigawuts
Feb 25, 2013, 03:52 PM
I guess I'm one of the few who cares "superhardcore" about the graphics, although that is probably a given considering I spent over $900 on the video cards in my system alone (which is probably the cost of every other component connected to my system combined).

Even so, there is no denying that superior visuals aids immersion in very big ways, and can even get players to overlook flaws simply because of the spectacle. Conversely, if the visuals have too many detractors (pop-in, z-fighting, pixelated/obviously cascaded shadows, and so on), it can break immersion and make it harder to play the game.

Personally, though, what really gets me is the difference between playing PSO2 and playing something, anything, from the current generation of consoles on my PC. Some terrain normal mapping alone would make an enormous difference to the visuals...

No, when I said "after a certain point more graphics is just eye candy" I definitely meant that that line is drawn behind things like popins, zfighting, bugged shadows, etc.

(No, I'm being sarcastic, those things are a given. If a graphics engine is functioning smoothly and without bugs, and things have enough polys to not be horrifically jagged, it becomes more important what is being conveyed than how many polys are being used to convey it. I'd rather look at something with brilliant design and xbox 360 graphics than something that looks dumb as fuck with xbo 720 graphics).

Proof of concept: Metroid Prime 1 is much more visually appealing and immersive to me than PSU, which I just found ugly based on the art direction alone. But them's opinions, which don't really matter much.

Shadowth117
Feb 25, 2013, 04:15 PM
No, when I said "after a certain point more graphics is just eye candy" I definitely meant that that line is drawn behind things like popins, zfighting, bugged shadows, etc.

(No, I'm being sarcastic, those things are a given. If a graphics engine is functioning smoothly and without bugs, and things have enough polys to not be horrifically jagged, it becomes more important what is being conveyed than how many polys are being used to convey it. I'd rather look at something with brilliant design and xbox 360 graphics than something that looks dumb as fuck with xbo 720 graphics).

Proof of concept: Metroid Prime 1 is much more visually appealing and immersive to me than PSU, which I just found ugly based on the art direction alone. But them's opinions, which don't really matter much.

Metroid Prime one is still a hell of a lot more visually appealing and immersive to me than this game overall, but the character and enemy models aren't too bad in this. Its more due to better design in that game though than it using more polygons though.

For some reason it doesn't seem like they liked the idea of using bump mapping on most of the scenery in this game which probably doesn't help things. There's not too much of an excuse considering how nice Unreal Engine 3 for example can look with all that can go on in a typical Unreal Tournament 3 vehicle game, but there definitely is a lot that goes on at once sometimes. The Vita showcased this in the beta when it started to have frame rate drops in MPA's during bursts and such with 12 people.

But yeah, as far as character models go its absolutely not a bad looking game.

Z-0
Feb 25, 2013, 04:19 PM
gotta have those character models looking pretty sweet for maximum potential waifu sim

DoubleCannon
Feb 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
You know, who here besides me use to cry when back in school you were given work that was like 500 word essay they called it and you would cry in pain! lol and here we are, posting 500 words a comment, times have changed :) Sorry i am tired and well off topic continue lol

Zyrusticae
Feb 25, 2013, 04:27 PM
Ah, but then, even a game with the best art direction there is would still benefit from superior technical features.

As an example, Dark Souls is a pretty good-looking game thanks to some pretty strong art direction. But then you take that game, stick it on the PC, crank up the resolution ten-fold (literally ten-fold, in my case), and throw on some VSSAO for good measure, suddenly that good-looking game becomes a visual marvel. Details that were once obscured are suddenly clear as day. Areas that were once flat are now bursting with detail (particularly noticeable on the statues in Anor Londo (https://s6vqtq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1p3pNG5LnupNZjLqVG66R1sXLkMxSPWNgDJaDGuPd5dZMpvIk BykmOB244GIKAKdLuEkSUI7FvU6Pl015n33AaxzamUXyD1_hk/Screenshot336048.jpg?psid=1)). The best part about all this? It took one man and a few dozen man hours to do. Seriously. That's all it took.

The main thing to take away from all this is that it isn't an 'either-or' thing. You CAN have both. Sometimes you have one and not the other, and it's a damn shame when that happens, but at least on the technical side, it's really not that hard to improve things dramatically with just a bit of effort and some careful research.

PSO2 in particular could have benefited tremendously from some terrain normal mapping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping), as you can see on the ground in this Dark Souls shot (https://s6vqtq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pO2HbS473H3xa02B53ZXfwP8b2td26JUI3_yxT-w6ykPlrsBiymc8r_HhB62fPWTGpUrev04rVlI/Screenshot154955.jpg?psid=1). I don't even care if all they did was run the existing textures through a normal map converter, it'd still look tons better than it does now, especially considering all the dynamic lighting in the game (the desert in particular really suffers from this). Throw on some specularity and even some screen-space local reflections (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tuo76YQZGg) for good measure, and it'd be one of the best-looking games I've ever played.

The more jarring part is that they do use these features (sans reflections - they use environment maps instead) on characters, and just half-ass the environment part. It's really bothersome as it tends to make characters look like they don't belong in the scene, like they come from a more detailed game or something. Grrr, I say. Grrr!

gigawuts
Feb 25, 2013, 04:31 PM
Ah, but then, even a game with the best art direction there is would still benefit from superior technical features.

https://58fi4a.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pzLlXr8y_ksQfmidAtVszYfsXWxVfuA8VoFWBYAGQ091qamx 2dZmjjs3u1NF3QgQUsDchtTS0UmY/igWSQazTZaFEv.gif?psid=1

No shit. That's the redundant part. The rest is eye candy. It didn't need it to look good in the first place. Adding more eye candy will obviously improve it.

[spoiler-box]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e0n7vTLz1U[/spoiler-box]

No, guy, a million dollars is still cool.

If...

mediocre graphics + good art > good graphics + mediocre art

Then obviously

good graphics + good art > mediocre graphics + good art > good graphics + mediocre art

edit: Also, this is all under the assumption that the limited graphics are used creatively. Things like using transparent floors with rooms copied and flipped upsidedown under the floor, to give the illusion of a reflective floor. This is an example of something done in PSO1. These levels of graphics can be emulated with limited constraints by just being creative.

Zorafim
Feb 25, 2013, 04:36 PM
If only we had someone who showed a comparison picture between PSO2 and PSU every time they posted.

Shadowth117
Feb 25, 2013, 04:41 PM

As an example, Dark Souls is a pretty good-looking game thanks to some pretty strong art direction. But then you take that game, stick it on the PC, crank up the resolution ten-fold (literally ten-fold, in my case), and throw on some VSSAO for good measure, suddenly that good-looking game becomes a visual marvel. Details that were once obscured are suddenly clear as day. Areas that were once flat are now bursting with detail (particularly noticeable on the statues in Anor Londo (https://s6vqtq.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1p3pNG5LnupNZjLqVG66R1sXLkMxSPWNgDJaDGuPd5dZMpvIk BykmOB244GIKAKdLuEkSUI7FvU6Pl015n33AaxzamUXyD1_hk/Screenshot336048.jpg?psid=1)). The best part about all this? It took one man and a few dozen man hours to do. Seriously. That's all it took.

The main thing to take away from all this is that it isn't an 'either-or' thing. You CAN have both. Sometimes you have one and not the other, and it's a damn shame when that happens, but at least on the technical side, it's really not that hard to improve things dramatically with just a bit of effort and some careful research.

PSO2 in particular could have benefited tremendously from some terrain normal mapping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping), as you can see on the ground in this Dark Souls shot (https://s6vqtq.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pO2HbS473H3xa02B53ZXfwP8b2td26JUI3_yxT-w6ykPlrsBiymc8r_HhB62fPWTGpUrev04rVlI/Screenshot154955.jpg?psid=1). I don't even care if all they did was run the existing textures through a normal map converter, it'd still look tons better than it does now, especially considering all the dynamic lighting in the game (the desert in particular really suffers from this). Throw on some specularity and even some screen-space local reflections (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tuo76YQZGg) for good measure, and it'd be one of the best-looking games I've ever played.

The more jarring part is that they do use these features (sans reflections - they use environment maps instead) on characters, and just half-ass the environment part. It's really bothersome as it tends to make characters look like they don't belong in the scene, like they come from a more detailed game or something. Grrr, I say. Grrr!

I agree completely. Its very annoying how little detail is put into most areas. Darker's Den looks pretty cool in my opinion, but even that would benefit a ton from a touch-up.

...with how people are able to modify files for translations and such, I do wonder if its at all possible to modify the terrain models and materials for an "HD" mod so to speak. Clearly scenery models and such tend to be stored in completely different formats than regular models like enemies and other objects, but for this game if it is at all possible to change mess with these things, it would be very interesting.

Syllix
Feb 25, 2013, 04:48 PM
I think you guys scared the OP away.... regardless, I think the game looks fine and love playing it. I also think this thread isn't worthing of so many posts.. but I'm pretty sure at this point you're all tired of what I think :p

EvilMag
Feb 25, 2013, 05:10 PM
I guess boobs jiggling just isn't enough. :(

redroses
Feb 25, 2013, 05:14 PM
I guess boobs jiggling just isn't enough. :(

Not until we get a bulge slider and that jiggles as well.

Crysteon
Feb 25, 2013, 05:17 PM
Come on, guys....everyone loves their oppais on HD.

Gama
Feb 25, 2013, 05:43 PM
Not until we get a bulge slider and that jiggles as well.

extra jiggle please!

:3

FacelessRed
Feb 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
Right, OP HI

I'm a 3D modeller and artist. Saying a game looks like a game with better Resolution, makes you sound slightly retarded.

Resolution isn't the number of polygons in a level, how large a characters poly count is etc. Resolution is literally the size of a texture file and or the output display of the game. Nothing more.

Saying this game has better resolution is literally saying that the previous games and this one have the same poly count, and 3D model data, with higher res textures and/or upscaled display (which, without higher res textures (HD) will look like throw up on wolfs ass)

So all those jagged lines, corners etc. HExagons meant to be circles, etc. WOULDN'T CHANGE, just the hand drawn flat 2D textures applied to them.

No this games Graphics are not the best, but simple things like the Visual effects on monster roars distortion, large amounts of onscreen activity, higher resolution AND poly count on Models and weapons. etc. Is obvious to anyone with common sense. It's a shame it wasn't especially better for someone like myself with an insane PC but meh...

The more you know.

Klypto
Feb 25, 2013, 06:07 PM
The poly-count is ok. I mean PSO got away with near squat poly count and made up for the rest of it with textures.

My biggest gripe is the textures are abysmally poor. I feel like I'm playing Mass Effect all over again.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/3/35551/1248296-you_got_something_on_your_shirt_oh_wait.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

dat shirt drove me nuts

FacelessRed
Feb 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
My textures do not look like t his...

NoiseHERO
Feb 25, 2013, 06:14 PM
Way I see it, if this game was 16 bit, but actually had good level designs...

I'd probably like it a 100x more than what we have going on, outside the character models.

reptile7383
Feb 25, 2013, 06:19 PM
I'm going to say what should be obvious: This is a FREE game. Did people actually expect AAA graphics?

That said PSO2 still looks better than PSU.

Z-0
Feb 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
"It's a free game, everything is excusable."

Doesn't matter, it's been made to get money off us. Even if it is FREE, it still needs just as many reasons to take our money as a pay to play game would need.

Kierto
Feb 25, 2013, 06:24 PM
[spoiler-box]http://i45.tinypic.com/23jol5c.jpg

SEGA Y U NO[/spoiler-box]

reptile7383
Feb 25, 2013, 06:26 PM
Its not nice to put words in my mouth. F2P games can't afford the same budget as many other games. You are right when you said it needs to make money, and it never would if they spent so much money on graphics

That DOESN"T mean they get away with everything like the your pointless strawman suggests, but it does mean that you can't expect their game to graphicly reflect the 6 year difference

Z-0
Feb 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
I am pretty sure games are F2P these days because it makes more revenue than P2P.

gigawuts
Feb 25, 2013, 06:29 PM
I am pretty sure games are F2P these days because it makes more revenue than P2P.

Correct. Even the devs say that.

If F2P didn't make as much money they wouldn't have become a thing.

MetalDude
Feb 25, 2013, 06:31 PM
Some graphics decisions I can excuse, but there's a lot of places with extremely low-poly objects (the rocks in Forest are constantly quoted on being atrocious) that are a bit jarring. Weapon, character, and monster designs are pretty thorough but environments seem out of place by comparison.

Although I say they really should've worked on character weight distribution some more. I mean, the fatty enthusiasts I see on here can't even make the game create a fat character that doesn't look completely absurd. Those hips man, what the fuck.

Klypto
Feb 25, 2013, 06:32 PM
I'm going to say what should be obvious: This is a FREE game. Did people actually expect AAA graphics?

Go play Planetside 2 on ultra "custom" graphics and watch your GPU melt. It's F2P.

MetalDude
Feb 25, 2013, 06:33 PM
I'd say the more impressive a F2P game looks, the greater the attention it will receive. It's free and it looks really, really good? Done.

Ezodagrom
[spoiler-box]http://www.joshmarkham.com/Projects/pso_final_01.jpg[/spoiler-box]

SEGA Y U NO
PSO2 was made to run in a wide range of machines, I guess supporting low-end PCs took priority over having higher quality graphics.
That picture shouldn't be compared to PSO2 though, PSO2 is an actual game, that picture is from something that most likely won't get to be playable.

GtSaiyaMan
of course they are somewhat better but I'm just saying considering the 6 year difference in release dates, the graphics for PSO 2 are pretty subpar. things look really jaggy and character models & faces look like crap when they aren't zoomed in like in the character creation screen (which is always)

enemies don't look much better than PSU's either, vol dragon basically looks like nearly the same model was used.

some of the graphics are actually WORSE than PSU. have you seen the urban/city EQ textures? I want to be sick thinking about it

well..PSO will always keeps its art style.. some things about it are unique to the series..i cant imagine how PSO would be using a more realistic art style..lol. I'll say its modernized...with keeping true to the PSO series roots.

reptile7383
Feb 25, 2013, 06:34 PM

They do not generate as much money as successful P2P games. This is why WoW is not F2P. Being F2P convinces people to try the game. This is why you see most big mmos start p2p then switch to f2p when interested decreases.

Shadowth117
Feb 25, 2013, 06:37 PM
PSO2 was made to run in a wide range of machines, I guess supporting low-end PCs took priority over having higher quality graphics.
That picture shouldn't be compared to PSO2 though, PSO2 is an actual game, that picture is from something that most likely won't get to be playable.

Actually, you're wrong there. That was rendered in Unreal Engine 3 actually. It makes heavy use of normal mapping to achieve the level of detail it has, but the overall texture resolutions are akin to what PSO2 already has. In fact, most Unreal Engine 3 games tend to look very pretty like that and run fine. It might not be possible to run PSO2 quite as well at THAT particular level of detail, but as someone else mentioned before using any type of normal mapping at all on the scenery would greatly improve it.

Edit:

They do not generate as much money as successful P2P games. This is why WoW is not F2P. Being F2P convinces people to try the game. This is why you see most big mmos start p2p then switch to f2p when interested decreases.

WoW was also made 9 years ago in a different market. F2P as it exists today was but a pipe dream at best back then. I can almost guarantee you that if it were again now, if it weren't F2P, it would have F2P style options like in PSO2 with its AC shop.

MetalDude
Feb 25, 2013, 06:39 PM
One thing that's a massive improvement though is that PSO2 looks infinitely better in motion than PSU ever did. PSU had horrendous animations and the sword trails (the trail of color that follows your attacks) looked awful and choppy. The way PSU looked in motion was one of the bigger aesthetic turnoffs for me.

reptile7383
Feb 25, 2013, 06:42 PM
Go play Planetside 2 on ultra "custom" graphics and watch your GPU melt. It's F2P.

Which is Sony is because they are a bigger company that can handle the risk, using the tech they are developing for that game to help make other game to mitigated the cost, AND they are making a shooter which as lame as it may be generate FAR more money than hack-n-slash games.

risk vs reward. Theres no way Sega could recoup that much money on a PSO game.

Emizel
Feb 25, 2013, 06:43 PM
SEGA is an enormous company and you don't know what you are talking about (in terms of what they're financially capable of).

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2013, 06:43 PM
Actually, you're wrong there. That was rendered in Unreal Engine 3 actually. It makes heavy use of normal mapping to achieve the level of detail it has, but the overall texture resolutions are akin to what PSO2 already has. In fact, most Unreal Engine 3 games tend to look very pretty like that and run fine. It might not be possible to run PSO2 quite as well at THAT particular level of detail, but as someone else mentioned before using any type of normal mapping at all on the scenery would greatly improve it.
That's not what I meant. While it may have been made in the unreal engine, it's something that I really don't believe will get to be a fully playable online game, so it shouldn't be compared to PSO2.
If it does get to become something playable though, only then it'll be a fair comparison to PSO2, I guess. :\
And even then, would that be possible to scale down to be playable in low-end PCs?

Zyrusticae
Feb 25, 2013, 06:44 PM

F2P games that look better graphically than PSO2:

Planetside 2 (http://i.minus.com/i71hcfScPhEO6.png), Hawken (https://gjzdxw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pzBNbl9wDtAFBmdscJuoSaRIjsyJZOv7ir88Znz4iri9jqiJ WfepQsYm1w84oLYgn8MK7miYDMoo/Screenshot13492.png?psid=1), Mechwarrior Online (https://stkycg.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1pkN041lsHPFIm84mue9PVnShLfAxsO2RwJsNqnt5bxbcpTzF yNTYgU15dBL9yg8IEsxYwhxX8ttn7eKQFnRQtm2moujXn_u6-/Screenshot45262.jpg?psid=1), DotA 2 (http://www.abload.de/img/2j8iuz.png), Warframe (http://www.abload.de/img/warframe2013-01-0212-pzkfd.png)

Your argument is invalid.

Klypto
Feb 25, 2013, 06:44 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://i.imgur.com/WxMwuBY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fYoHSna.jpg
[/SPOILER-BOX]

reptile7383
Feb 25, 2013, 06:48 PM
F2P games that look better graphically than PSO2:

Your argument is invalid.

And most of those games still aren't impressive to look at.

Zyrusticae
Feb 25, 2013, 06:49 PM
And most of those games still aren't impressive to look at.
Bullshit.

If PSO2 looked on the level of Warframe I'd never stop playing it. Ever.

Hawken (https://gjzdxw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pftfUo01gle6qxRK4tBx8wakL5VgZjySZOu6uJAYq2MZbson Mv8eFz6RYemKEFsbe1HaH_WfcwP8/Screenshot49548.png?psid=1) in particular has the greatest cities ever rendered in a video game, and it's a bloody shooter. And that game was practically made on a shoestring budget.

SEGA has no excuse.

NoiseHERO
Feb 25, 2013, 06:51 PM
[SPOILER-BOX]
[/SPOILER-BOX]

lol that moldyass pixel stretching.

Ezodagrom
Feb 25, 2013, 06:54 PM
[spoiler-box]
[/spoiler-box]
o-o
[spoiler-box]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9384/pso20130225234831030.jpg[/spoiler-box]

pikachief
Feb 25, 2013, 06:55 PM

I'd say its more like between the graphics of an Atari and a PS4 to be honest.

And there's probably lots of threads about the weird graphics because the graphics are well... kinda weird.

reptile7383
Feb 25, 2013, 06:56 PM
Bullshit.

If PSO2 looked on the level of Warframe I'd never stop playing it. Ever.

Warframe still doesn't look as good as AAA titles, and refer to what I said earlier about how shooters can afford better graphics.

Anatha
Feb 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
looks like someone doesn't know how to check the high res texture box.

Shadowth117
Feb 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
o-o
[spoiler-box]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9384/pso20130225234831030.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Thank you, I had a feeling he was posting without the highest texture resolution activated.

Zyrusticae
Feb 25, 2013, 07:00 PM
Warframe still doesn't look as good as AAA titles
After this, I can't take anything you say even remotely seriously.

Your qualifications for commenting on the graphical state of any game are hereby revoked.

Anatha
Feb 25, 2013, 07:01 PM
Hawken isn't going to play on the range of systems that PSO2 can. The truly successful MMOs have done it by allowing their game to be played by many people, not just people who spend all their money on a cutting edge PC setup.

EvilMag
Feb 25, 2013, 07:02 PM
I kinda wish PSO2 gave you that Skyrim level of freedom when it comes to adjusting your graphics.

reptile7383
Feb 25, 2013, 07:03 PM
Your qualifications for commenting on the graphical state of any game are hereby revoked.

Ditto if you actually think it compares to the best shooters out there.

Zyrusticae
Feb 25, 2013, 07:04 PM
Hawken isn't going to play on the range of systems that PSO2 can. The truly successful MMOs have done it by allowing their game to be played by many people, not just people who spend all their money on a cutting edge PC setup.
Actually, as an Unreal Engine 3 game, you'd be surprised what level of hardware can play it smoothly.

Though I doubt it could ever go as low as PSO2 with simple shaders, that much is true.

Ditto if you actually think it compares to the best shooters out there.
FYI, there are only two other shooters on the entire market that have screen-space local reflections:

Crysis 2 (https://7g45sa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pULqFd8bmzkJ4-eO3vqjXje2Cp5dFG3mC9H2hHaqr3Jm-bAQG97EL71qyOGycTIBKsE2h45bcEnE/Screenshot212559.png?psid=1), and Crysis 3 (https://hanvkw.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1p80pcIho-Pxkp_KPpABVzmYNSy0TR4UbZIC9pninc5lpzxdc1cOBwiLng0u rSjij_S50IaHf2JvBNvm--_76ztKzKNvoV0r9F/Screenshot243214.jpg?psid=1).

The game also has every other graphical feature you find in modern-day shooters, including some extremely high-quality motion blur.

But the point was never to compare PSO2 to "AAA" releases, it was to compare it to other F2P games, and in all respects PSO2 compares poorly with the sole exception of character and sometimes monster art.

They could do better, and on a really small budget, too.

Anatha
Feb 25, 2013, 07:07 PM
Before Klypto gets laughed out of town for good, I'm going to do him the favor of pointing out that he needs to go into the graphics menu in the launcher and check the "High resolution texture" option, so his game can stop looking like crap.

Klypto
Feb 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
o-o

Before Klypto gets laughed out of town for good, I'm going to do him the favor of pointing out that he needs to go into the graphics menu in the launcher and check the "High resolution texture" option, so his game can stop looking like crap.
ZOMG DAT MYSTERY IS NOW ZOLVED

TANK YOU

Arialle
Feb 25, 2013, 07:41 PM
graphic is definitely better thou its not overwhelming, im rather more impressed at the gameplay and stuffs they put in instead....

well im never a graphics only kind of player either way it looks good enough for me. I prefer to look at gameplay and community

Kierto
Feb 25, 2013, 08:02 PM
http://chaosheroesonline.jp/

Other Sega (published) Online MMO thing. Idk it has like ambient lighting. I don't really understand the reason for adding this to the discussion but er.. boobie and lighting effects?

IDK PSO2 graphics just seem half baked no matter how you look at it. PLENTY of F2P games just lol at it.

I really do think this boils down to a 'Japan's lack of MMO exposure'+'20-30~ Year Old Male Nostalgia' thing. These sneaky devs can get away with so much lazy bullshit.

Anatha
Feb 25, 2013, 08:52 PM
I think it looks fine to me, I don't care about graphic elitists or what they want, as long as it doesn't look like crap and runs like a dream, that is all that matters to me.

Meanwhile a game that looks great but has fps dips, or the like, will swiftly ruin my enjoyment. I notice performance flaws, I do not notice what level of AA something has.

yoshiblue
Feb 25, 2013, 09:04 PM
Looks like the artist the did Fantasy Earth Zero was involved in that.

Kitora
Feb 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
The game's graphics are fine for me.

I love good graphics. I remember getting lost in the first Crysis title for DAYS. Then there was Battlefield 3 and Skyrim which honestly don't look that great to me anymore. I have high expectations for SP games, but low expectations for the graphics of online games, realistically so.

When it comes to any large online game I know better than to expect too much. Regardless of the momentum of technology, MMOs with jaw dropping graphics will always be behind single-player games.

Generally the best graphics in F2P games will be in shooters.

Eventually an MMO with great graphics and a good engine will hit the market. It's likely that it won't be a F2P game for a long time though.

Tcrusader51
Feb 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
I have a pretty powerful PC myself. I'm not going to say that PSO2 graphics are bad or even that it's a PSO HD. However, I really did expect top notch graphics off current standards. Didn't have to be exactly on something like Tera's level but still something close. Regardless, PSO2 is a great game either way so I'm not really bothered by it as I once was.

Zalana
Feb 26, 2013, 02:05 AM
Would you like for PSO2 to look like FFXIV or Crysis 3? 80% of the people probably wouldn't be able to play the game then. ^^

Gama
Feb 26, 2013, 02:08 AM
Would you like for PSO2 to look like FFXIV or Crysis 3? 80% of the people probably wouldn't be able to play the game then. ^^

this.

Agitated_AT
Feb 26, 2013, 02:50 AM
http://chaosheroesonline.jp/

Other Sega (published) Online MMO thing. Idk it has like ambient lighting. I don't really understand the reason for adding this to the discussion but er.. boobie and lighting effects?

IDK PSO2 graphics just seem half baked no matter how you look at it. PLENTY of F2P games just lol at it.

I really do think this boils down to a 'Japan's lack of MMO exposure'+'20-30~ Year Old Male Nostalgia' thing. These sneaky devs can get away with so much lazy bullshit.

That's not an mmo. That's a league of legends/dota esque game.

But yeah other than that i agree with the graphics. I think its cuz the game started development around 2007 or something like that . The draw distance is just terrible

Zyrusticae
Feb 26, 2013, 03:25 AM
Actually, FFXIV was just really poorly optimized and unscalable. FFXIV:ARR looks to be fixing this problem quite handily. Crysis 3 actually runs on a fairly wide range of hardware (you'd be surprised how much mileage you can get out of the "low" setting and dropping AA), though the DX11 minimum is obviously more than most games require.

Fun fact: The console versions of Crysis 3 actually run at even lower settings than the PC version's "low" setting. How 'bout that, eh? :-)

NoiseHERO
Feb 26, 2013, 03:26 AM
Every aspect of PSO2 (yes including the graphics) was designed around easy money.

They made the graphics flexible for a wider range of PC, at the cost of them not being sonic generations graphics. But at the same time, with the graphics they had... not much artist effort was put in outside of costume design.

They get away with this because they left people not to expect much, and because the game is "free." and in turn they have their 1 million players that they get to advertise. Since PS doesn't have to popularity to be a demanding PC game AND get 1 million players.

BUT again because you don't expect much... they get to make an entire badly written story mode where characters do nothing but stand around and talk within' badly designed fields that look no different from our usually randomly generated ones. WHILE using the same repetitive conversation arm gestures and camera angles!

Who gives a shiit about actual graphics, any animal can say shiny things are nice. It's the way they USE the graphics they have. And honestly PSO2 does NOT do a good job at that in my opinion. But they get away with halfassing it because there's no love put into this game. It's just a cash cow like any other F2P game you can download. For all you know, they COULD improve the graphics in the future since... this is an infinite beta test anyway.

Just know that either way SEGA's raking in a lot more dough than they did with PSU

Arialle
Feb 26, 2013, 03:52 AM
im honestly fine with this too..i mean look at RO2 lolol...
then again the many features they put in...like a broadcasting Tv in lobby

graphics shld never matter in games to a certain extend...take a look at Fantasy Earth Zero for example

heck i enjoy playing my 8 bit RPGs way more than the fail FF13

Zalana
Feb 26, 2013, 06:11 AM
Actually, FFXIV was just really poorly optimized and unscalable. FFXIV:ARR looks to be fixing this problem quite handily. Crysis 3 actually runs on a fairly wide range of hardware (you'd be surprised how much mileage you can get out of the "low" setting and dropping AA), though the DX11 minimum is obviously more than most games require.

Fun fact: The console versions of Crysis 3 actually run at even lower settings than the PC version's "low" setting. How 'bout that, eh? :-)

Considering the consoles are on DX9 anyways. Yes it was poorly optimized but, most folks here aren't shelling out $250+ for 660 Ti's etc even though I know the 7 series AMD's are cheaper. Let's put it this way they wanted to make PSO2 available to a lot of folks. I was mainly speaking in max settings for both games too. ^^

TaigaUC
Feb 26, 2013, 06:56 AM
As a game artist who has worked with engines like UDK, I was never terribly impressed with the quality of PSO2's graphics. Inconsistent texture resolutions, jaggies, faded colors, UV seams, etc. One of the things that particularly bothers me is how character faces are often shaded in a way that looks ugly or frightening. I'm certain there are ways to fix that.

That being said, there are plenty of things that do look great, like the fur shader on the rappies, and effects such as particles and weather are quite beautiful. Animation in general is great, too. It just feels like they didn't keep a consistent standard of quality throughout, and only aimed for an acceptable overall presentation.

Japanese people often seem to say that foreigners are better than them when it comes to 3D/CG, so that may be part of the reason why the game looks the way it does. I also don't recall any of SEGA's works being particularly amazing on the graphics side.

Alisha
Feb 26, 2013, 07:02 AM
lol no
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.imgur.com/L2XcA9Y.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Alucadra
Feb 26, 2013, 07:10 AM

Well it makes sense. Why waste resources on making a high end graphic game when you know PC gaming is SUPER niche in Japan. This means most of the people who own a PC are on the low-medium end spectrum of rigs. Which is why a lot of Japanese PC games aren't too impressive on visuals because it would be a waste of resources and segregate your demographic.

Cyclon
Feb 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
Gnih
You need a break, dude. Or a smile maybe? Here's one:D

SolRiver
Feb 26, 2013, 10:02 AM
I'm glad pso2 dont use unreal.

Every online rpg that I tried which used unreal end up cpu bound and almost dont use the gpu at all, which really tick me off.

jooozek
Feb 26, 2013, 11:26 AM
I'm glad pso2 dont use unreal.

Every online rpg that I tried which used unreal end up cpu bound and almost dont use the gpu at all, which really tick me off.

uh
they end up being cpu bound because they are actual open world MMOs not some hurr hurr 4man/12man in tight spaces

Akaimizu
Feb 26, 2013, 11:38 AM
I think the biggest, and best, difference is that PSO2 uses the graphics in a much better optimized fashion than PSU ever did. So PSO2 can do better looking graphics using less resources. This was an issue for every version of PSU. It displayed graphics that should've easily been done by machines like 360, and PC; however, it was so poorly optimized that it struggled with the frame rate on both machines. (Even on PCs that may have been low end, but low end should've easily handled PSU. Half the 360 should've handled PSU.)

The Phantasy Star Portable games were the first major hint on the bad optimization of PSU. Given their overall performance on just the PSP. Sure, they had a frame rate limiter much lower than PSU, but they hardly ever dropped to frame rates as low as PSU did.

PSO2's main ship multi-level lobby shows a heck of a lot more detail and more distance than pretty much all of PSU's lobbies, with more visible and solid NPCs. If PSU tried to do that, it would probably crawl, stutter the camera movement, and have major frame rate drops looking in certain directions.

SolRiver
Feb 26, 2013, 11:55 AM
uh
they end up being cpu bound because they are actual open world MMOs not some hurr hurr 4man/12man in tight spaces

You would think MASSIVE mutilplayer online would mean they would need gpu more than ever.

No, nothing to do with it. They are cpu bound because they want people with shitty gpu be able to play it with so-called decent quality.

Speaking of which, hawken is also cpu bound isnt it?

jooozek
Feb 26, 2013, 12:06 PM
you know why your card is only used that much?
because the engine is so fucking optimised that it maximizes what you can get out of it at a low usage
being cpu bound means that your cpu is shitty
thats all there to it

NoiseHERO
Feb 26, 2013, 01:36 PM
You need a break, dude. Or a smile maybe? Here's one:D

Nah I'm the last person that needs a smile here, just saying it like it is.

Anyway forget a break, I think everyone should quit this garbage... I only still log in for dudebro time with the homies in the ghetto.

Cyclon
Feb 26, 2013, 03:45 PM
Nah I'm the last person that needs a smile here, just saying it like it is.

Anyway forget a break, I think everyone should quit this garbage... I only still log in for dudebro time with the homies in the ghetto.
Then go ahead. Quit. If at this point you think your frustration can dictate wether or not the game was made with "love", you're already beyond salvation anyway.

If that's you trolling me, well, I don't really mind. We can go on if you like. Otherwise though, I wager to say you have enjoyed the game at some point; remember these times, stop spewing out nonsense. Are you a game designer? Do you work at Sega? Were you there during the development of the game?

They could have reskinned most bosses like they did with PSU. They could have given us 2-3 PAs per weapons and left it at that. They could have put level 200 cap with talent trees made for level 40. Talent trees could have been made of stat ups only. Dying could have lowered your rank even if you're revived, and rank could have been made a lot more important so that people are forced to buy scape dolls. Affixing, along with Falz, D den's and such could have been premium only. I know you love this one, affixing could have made your weapon/unit break upon failure. etc.
I can admit, though, that there is an extremely small possibility that this game was made in order to make money; I prefer to believe that's wrong. And yes, that was irony.

Tl;dr: Don't be a hater.

Aquayoshi
Feb 26, 2013, 03:59 PM
Putting in my two cents on the graphics (I read most of the thread, but this is in response to no one in particular):

They're not the best, but they're good enough, and can always be improved upon later. I personally think the game looks fine, and it runs silky-smooth on my somewhat low-end computer at near max settings. Judging from what people are saying about PSU's horrendous optimization, PSO2's graphics are a huge step up. My only gripe (which other posters in this thread have mentioned) is that some of the environment textures are very low-res and look out of place, but I don't really notice when I'm too busy blasting away at enemies. Plus, Sega can always fix that later. (Doubtful, but we can hope, can't we?)

Yes, I know that if I had a beastly gaming rig with an >$9000 GPU, 16 exabytes of RAM, and a 42-core fifty-gazillion GHz processor, I'd want to crank it up to 11, too, and it definitely wouldn't hurt lower-end users if SEGA added higher graphics settings.

But are the graphics as eye-rupturingly ugly as some people are claiming they are?
No.

NoiseHERO
Feb 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
Then go ahead. Quit. If at this point you think your frustration can dictate wether or not the game was made with "love", you're already beyond salvation anyway.

If that's you trolling me, well, I don't really mind. We can go on if you like. Otherwise though, I wager to say you have enjoyed the game at some point; remember these times, stop spewing out nonsense. Are you a game designer? Do you work at Sega? Were you there during the development of the game?

They could have reskinned most bosses like they did with PSU. They could have given us 2-3 PAs per weapons and left it at that. They could have put level 200 cap with talent trees made for level 40. Talent trees could have been made of stat ups only. Dying could have lowered your rank even if you're revived, and rank could have been made a lot more important so that people are forced to buy scape dolls. Affixing, along with Falz, D den's and such could have been premium only. I know you love this one, affixing could have made your weapon/unit break upon failure. etc.
I can admit, though, that there is an extremely small possibility that this game was made in order to make money; I prefer to believe that's wrong. And yes, that was irony.

Tl;dr: Don't be a hater.

You said one snarky sentence to me... and I replied in a non-defensive way.. I don't think. Now you're coming back with a paragraph. Are you sure I'M the one that needs a smile?

But yeah like I said, I still play for my friends... Thaz it, buy the mixtape.

edit: Oh and remember that one time zyru went psycho? Yeah him and many others already failed the whole "stop whining!" argument.

Cyclon
Feb 26, 2013, 05:28 PM
You said one snarky sentence to me... and I replied in a non-defensive way.. I don't think. Now you're coming back with a paragraph. Are you sure I'M the one that needs a smile?

But yeah like I said, I still play for my friends... Thaz it, buy the mixtape.

edit: Oh and remember that one time zyru went psycho? Yeah him and many others already failed the whole "stop whining!" argument.
Did he really fail though? The forum was calmer after that. That didn't last long, but eh, whatever.

I can accept legitimate complaints. I don't like seeing them everywhere, but accept them I can. In this particular case, yours aren't. That's as simple as that. To be completely frank, I'm doubtful that's your true opinion, since you seem to be joking around a lot within these parts, so by all means, take what I said with a grain of salt.

Apologies for the slight derailing. We can continue that by means of PM if you so desire.

NoiseHERO
Feb 26, 2013, 07:06 PM
Did he really fail though?

Uhm.

Yes.

Anatha
Feb 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
Optimized games will use up more of your system's resources.

Ultimately, CPU will ALWAYS BE THE BOTTLENECK in an open world game. In general, the reason most games bottleneck to begin with is due to poor optimization, it's rare to hear someone say that they are bottlenecking and at near 100% CPU/GPU usage.

Count your lucky stars to be honest, that you get any optimization in any game these days, it is the era of NO Q&A after all.

~Aya~
Feb 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
Lmao.. go johana!

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2013, 05:20 PM
Optimized games will use up more of your system's resources.

Ultimately, CPU will ALWAYS BE THE BOTTLENECK in an open world game. In general, the reason most games bottleneck to begin with is due to poor optimization, it's rare to hear someone say that they are bottlenecking and at near 100% CPU/GPU usage.

Count your lucky stars to be honest, that you get any optimization in any game these days, it is the era of NO Q&A after all.

Seriously. Any time anyone tells me my computer is shit because it can't run such-and-such new game well, I bring up how my computer can run crysis 1 at max settings across the board.

Yet I couldn't run Brink at lowest settings, or GW2 with no other players on the screen for that matter.

Go ahead. Tell me those games should really require more resources on low than Crysis at max.

It's all about the complete lack of optimization. The average new PC has enough horsepower to handle poor optimization, which means only people who haven't upgraded in a while will suffer. Sure, Crysis 1 is old by now. But it has FAR more going on with max settings than fucking GW2 does on low with one person on the screen.

MetalDude
Feb 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
Nintendo practically lived on optimization to get what they did out of the Wii. On the other hand, it's really bothersome to see AC3 run perfectly fine on a PC and <=30FPS anywhere else.

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2013, 05:47 PM
Optimization on consoles and optimization on PC's are two VERY different things. Reason being for that is you're given hardware that EVERY SINGLE player will be using when optimizing for a console game. For PC games...oooooh boy. Nope. People are going to be mixing hardware you don't even know exists.

Eikahe
Feb 27, 2013, 05:48 PM
Uhm.

Yes.

pls stay ilu qt.

Also, you probably don't know who I am.

MetalDude
Feb 27, 2013, 05:51 PM
Optimization on consoles and optimization on PC's are two VERY different things. Reason being for that is you're given hardware that EVERY SINGLE player will be using when optimizing for a console game. For PC games...oooooh boy. Nope. People are going to be mixing hardware you don't even know exists.

Was just thinking over what I said and this makes sense. I will definitely give credit to PSO2 for being pretty well optimized, something unexpected given PSU.

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah, honestly that's one reason I don't give PSO2 any flak at all for its graphics. It may have mediocre textures in a lot of places, but damnit it runs fantastically on my computer and compared to most games released these days that on its own is an achievement.

Railkune
Feb 27, 2013, 06:01 PM
I actually like PSO2's graphics. It just... fits for some reason. I know it sounds weird, but it just sits right with me the way it is.

NoiseHERO
Feb 27, 2013, 06:10 PM
pls stay ilu qt.

Also, you probably don't know who I am.

I HAVE to stay... till everyone else quits or we find a new game. D;

yoshiblue
Feb 27, 2013, 06:11 PM
PSO2 Blue Burst?

Eikahe
Feb 27, 2013, 06:13 PM
I HAVE to stay... till everyone else quits or we find a new game. D;

What ship are you on?

OT: The game runs really damn well and I really love how everything flows at the moment. I'd much rather them focus on releasing new content than worrying about how the game looks.

Railkune
Feb 27, 2013, 06:19 PM
I'd much rather them focus on releasing new content than worrying about how the game looks.

Right on.

gigawuts
Feb 27, 2013, 06:20 PM
PSO2 Blue Burst?

The thing is...PSO v1 had a ton of the flaws this game is suffering from, and many of us only really got into it by GC when a lot of these flaws were fixed. Things like rares being way too rare, no intended ability to trade items that you find (drop trading, lol), rares having no unique utility, class balance issues, enemies varying between piss easy and impossibly hard, flinch death, etc.

V2 and GC resolved a ton of these issues - not all for sure, but a ton.

I'm wondering if they'll ever do a sweeping balance change to PSO2. I seriously doubt we'll get a total re-release, but...I mean, they've demonstrated in the past some of the things going on here are just proven design flaws.

jooozek
Feb 27, 2013, 07:29 PM
oh right games are just polygons and shaders
nothing else
nothing at all