PDA

View Full Version : I'm Not Mad, I'm Just Disappointed

CDOG14515
Feb 26, 2013, 03:47 PM
Hey guys,

Let me start this off by saying I think this is an awesome community. Always has been, likely always will be. I couldn't think of anywhere better to voice my frustrations with PSO2 seemingly not coming to the West. I apologize in advance for how cliched this topic must be by now.

When I started playing PSO Episode I&II on GameCube (and later Xbox), it completely blew my mind. I wasn't a PC gamer, and the notions of joining ships with crowded lobbies, joining games, playing together and getting loot were foreign, exciting and unlike anything else's had experienced by 2002. I loved the tactical card battled of Episode III...I even play the PSO soundtrack regularly to this day (which is fantastic, as I'm sure you know). PSO had one of the most unique and compelling combinations of art and sound design, and still feels like it's own thing in 2013.

In 2006, I was colossally disappointed by PSU. I know a lot of people liked that one, but it didn't do it for me. When PSO2 was announced, it made me hopeful again, an I waited. Won't be on consoles? Oh, well that's ok. Going F2P? Well, that could be promising. I got over every new potentially scary change, until now, February 2013, as it sort of seems like the game is never coming west.

I said all that to say this: I don't blame Sega. I know it's the economic climate of that company more than a beef with non-Japanese players. I don't even blame Gearbox, who may have contributed to Sega's plight more than we can know. I'm not mad, just disappointed that the only way to experience PSO2 is to play on the Japanese servers, which in effect, probably makes it seem like fewer westerners even care about an English client, since the hardcore want to be where the population/patches are.

Anyways, sorry for TLDR, I'm just bummed : /

Keyblade59
Feb 26, 2013, 03:49 PM
Never fear, your local Japanese teaching teacher is close to here!

You could also download the english patch too.

Ezodagrom
Feb 26, 2013, 03:50 PM
There haven't been news about the english version, but that doesn't mean that it's not coming. SoA is just way too silent about some of their games, especially when it comes to PC releases.

Shadowth117
Feb 26, 2013, 04:01 PM
It'll come out... I just can't guarantee it'll be the experience the developers intended for by any means.

Aquayoshi
Feb 26, 2013, 04:04 PM
Just play on the JP server with the rest of us. C'mon, it'll be fun! :D

Ship 2 Block 20 is where all most of us crazies gather.
(Some people avoid block 20 because they don't find stupid lobby antics entertaining. I'm not one of those people. XD)
If you decide to start playing, I'll gladly help you out if I'm on~

blazingsonic
Feb 26, 2013, 04:48 PM
My computer can run it but how do I sign up for it? Didn't they region lock it?

Ezodagrom
Feb 26, 2013, 04:54 PM
My computer can run it but how do I sign up for it? Didn't they region lock it?
There was a block to registration for countries outside of Japan, but that block only lasted a couple of days, after those 2 days it returned to allowing countried outside of Japan.

Alucadra
Feb 26, 2013, 05:24 PM
It'll come EVENTUALLY... keyword eventually. Sega of America really needs to just come out with it and start releasing bi monthly updates like is it that hard for them to do? It doesn't even have to be anything significant it can just be like select highlights, maybe they just dubbed a certain Npc? Great! Just let us know you're doing something. Saying nothing can never be good in this type of situation especially when its been like 6 months.

Zorafim
Feb 26, 2013, 05:28 PM
The game's in japanese? I keep on forgetting about that.

Jim
Feb 26, 2013, 05:32 PM
Just play on the JP server with the rest of us. C'mon, it'll be fun! :D

Ship 2 Block 20 is where all most of us crazies gather.
(Some people avoid block 20 because they don't find stupid lobby antics entertaining. I'm not one of those people. XD)
If you decide to start playing, I'll gladly help you out if I'm on~

Yeah, Block 20 is basically all-English. I can't remember the last time I saw someone in there who didn't speak English. Even the few kids with names in Japanese characters are English speakers.

Klypto
Feb 26, 2013, 05:38 PM
Yeah, Block 20 is basically all-English. I can't remember the last time I saw someone in there who didn't speak English. Even the few kids with names in Japanese characters are English speakers.

Saw a group of Spanish people last week. Was different.

Aquayoshi
Feb 26, 2013, 06:04 PM

That's because Japanese players avoid B20 like plague -- it is the legendary baka gaijin block, spoken of only in hushed whispers of terror and scorn. Actually it's probably more like loud jeers of "stupid foreigners live in b20, don't ever go there because they all suck wwwwwwww" They have an overall somewhat negative impression of us, and some would rather avoid us entirely.

However, it's not that all of them absolutely hate us. On the contrary; most JP players are fairly tolerant, as long as you don't barge into their party shouting in some inane obnoxious English/chanspeak pidgin (you will receive a swift kick for this) and you do your best to be polite. Also, at least legitimately trying to speak some Japanese will win many people over very quickly.

blace
Feb 26, 2013, 06:14 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I remember seeing Russian players. They made up most of the MPA for an EQ.

Jim
Feb 26, 2013, 08:10 PM
They have an overall somewhat negative impression of us, and some would rather avoid us entirely.

I feel the same way about Americans most of the time.

reptile7383
Feb 26, 2013, 08:16 PM
I'm tired of all this "what do the Japanese people think of us" talk. I really don't care. PSO was originally made to be played by players of different languages(why do you think symbol chat was made ;) ). The people the have a problem with people who speak a different language are people I don't want to play with anyways.

Also we should be polite to the Japanese people? We should be polite to EVREYBODY. I thought this was common sense :p

Jim
Feb 26, 2013, 08:18 PM
I'm tired of all this "what do the Japanese people think of us" talk. I really don't care. PSO was originally made to be played by players of different languages(why do you think symbol chat was made ;) ). The people the have a problem with people who speak a different language are people I don't want to play with anyways.

Also we should be polite to the Japanese people? We should be polite to EVREYBODY. I thought this was common sense :p

A waft of common sense... An unfamiliar smell, but a welcome one.

Blackheart521
Feb 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
I feel the same way about Americans most of the time.

Except me Jim... I'm the tolerable american on our team haha ^^;

BIG OLAF
Feb 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
I'm tired of all this "what do the Japanese people think of us" talk. I really don't care....Also we should be polite to the Japanese people? We should be polite to EVERYBODY. I thought this was common sense :p

Completely agree, on both points. But, this is the human race we're talking about. "Being polite" is a pretty rare thing nowadays. Shouldn't stop you from trying, though.

Jim
Feb 26, 2013, 08:22 PM
Except me Jim... I'm the tolerable american on our team haha ^^;

Yeah, you're not so bad. :lol:

Zalana
Feb 26, 2013, 10:28 PM

That's because the JP's are the holy grail at least that is what the majority of people mock them up to be... it's been like this since I've played on PSODC v1. :(

Coatl
Feb 26, 2013, 10:44 PM
Every time I visit block 20 I can feel my brain cells melting away.

Railkune
Feb 26, 2013, 11:07 PM
I think I'm going to make it my focus to go into Block 20 and check it out, because you all just have so many kind words to say about it. Obviously it's the place to be. (And I need to broaden my friend list some anyways...)

Blackheart521
Feb 26, 2013, 11:23 PM
I think I'm going to make it my focus to go into Block 20 and check it out, because you all just have so many kind words to say about it. Obviously it's the place to be. (And I need to broaden my friend list some anyways...)

I like to think of Block 20 as the "in-game FKL" though I bet some people who love FKL hate Block 20... I just go there for EQs because it doesn't take much effort to get in a party for one there. ^^;

Nikoshae
Feb 27, 2013, 01:23 AM
I was apprehensive about playing on the Japanese servers, but so far it's been a lot of fun. I hope you give it a shot. There's a great English-speaking community here, and from my experience even the Japanese-speaking community has been kind and friendly despite the language barrier. Common courtesy and friendliness are universal languages.

Anatha
Feb 27, 2013, 01:27 AM
Block 20 really isn't that bad. 99% of the time it just has a bunch of english players afking. That's the main difference, on the other blocks you won't see people hanging out much in lobby.
So if the presence of other player characters in a lobby offends you, then I can see the problem.

I wish it was as bad as the hyperbole I find on the forums, at least then people would be talking in game.

BIG OLAF
Feb 27, 2013, 08:01 AM
It's not even that bad. It's mostly just, like Anatha said, EN players sitting in the lobby and talking about whatever. Usually they're just chatting about other games they like, or anime, or other harmless things. There's maybe only like, three or four people altogether that ever make any sort of "problem".

So, I can't really understand this whole "omg B20 is so disgusting and horrible jesus fuckin christ" ranting.

Though, I will say that a good majority of the people there aren't really that great at the game itself. Whenever I run with B20 randoms, the mission is agonizing because they pretty much have no idea what they're doing. I ran a Forest AQ with a couple friends and a random guy, and the random guy just used Grenade Shell (Rifle PA) the whole goddamn time. He didn't even know how to chain PBs, either.