PDA

View Full Version : Should I sub?

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 11:55 AM
I have been lvling up for the past week, making good progress. I feel like I should sub at some point even though it's the jp version, but there's a dilemma.

Everything of what you would think to be valuable is very cheap on the markets, and unless I'm dishing out real money for costumes, trading and shops seems pointless when it's all cheap/ I can find it on my own anyways.

Can someone tell me the point otherwise of having a shop/house/being able to trade?

I mean, sure I can trade when I'm subbed and give my friends items, oh wait, they aren't subbed, therefore... I can't give stuff away. And with the difficulty it would seem to being able to get the AC needed to sub(I'd have to buy 22 dollars of AC at the price of 30 dollars because of costs on third party sites) It doesn't even seem remotely worth it.

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:02 PM
I don't think so. I'm premium (for now) and it's expensive and I just don't think it was worth it

you hit the nail on the head about trading, it's not so great when you need another premium user to trade with.

~Aya~
Feb 27, 2013, 12:04 PM
*Gives Sega money* wait... how to trade?... (Only uses shop)

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:06 PM
I don't think so. I'm premium (for now) and it's expensive and I just don't think it was worth it

you hit the nail on the head about trading, it's not so great when you need another premium user to trade with.

Maybe if items had more value, it would be a different story, like in PSU where the econ stabilized (Somewhat) after all of the hackers. But it literally seems any items of value are all cosmetic. :[

~Aya~
Feb 27, 2013, 12:08 PM
Maybe if items had more value, it would be a different story, like in PSU where the econ stabilized (Somewhat) after all of the hackers. But it literally seems any items of value are all cosmetic. :[

Right you are! Why get a shiny new weapon when you could have a shiny new accessory!?

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:08 PM
yup. rares are untradable in this game so there's not even much point to having a shop besides scratch items.

99% of the items you pick up during missions will only sell for like 1k-10k meseta. I usually just end up NPCing.

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:10 PM
I guess that's the key issue.... Untradeables that should be tradeable. Or maybe it isn't an issue at all and they want you to earn your stuff? I'm not sure how things worked in the original PSO so I hope I'm not talking out my arse.

Railkune
Feb 27, 2013, 12:11 PM
I will honestly say that I wish everyone could trade, but well, that isn't the case sadly.

Ezodagrom
Feb 27, 2013, 12:11 PM
I got premium mostly for the shop, but the extra things are what made me get premium instead of just a shop, like the 40 client orders limit, extra FUN points, and now being able to enter full blocks (as long as there's enough premium space available).
Premium could use some more things though.

Alucadra
Feb 27, 2013, 12:12 PM
I guess that's the key issue.... Untradeables that should be tradeable. Or maybe it isn't an issue at all and they want you to earn your stuff? I'm not sure how things worked in the original PSO so I hope I'm not talking out my arse.

I'm actually fairly certain you could trade just about ANYTHING in PSO. Trading was actually a large feature in PSO I remember going into rooms and sitting in there for hours exchanging rares to trade stuff I didn't need for stuff I wanted.

Anduril
Feb 27, 2013, 12:13 PM
I think one of the main benefits of premium is the increased FUN you get. You can get some decent stuff out of it that sells well, like grind protects.

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:14 PM
the point is to create a time sink and make every player suffer the RNG individually... which is pretty lame. and if the RNG gods smile on you and you get a rare, but it's not the one you wanted, you can't trade it for the one you want. which is what you did in the original PSO. (yes rares could be traded in PSO)

there is something in another thread posted that rares will be tradeable in SOME form soon, but it will probably have heavy restrictions & cost AC, which is lame.

in PSO trading was a huge part of community interaction and rare collecting, like you collected your candies and then you spread them out and compared your candy with other players and you traded your pieces you didnt want for the ones you wanted.

Coatl
Feb 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
Getting premium nets you 40 COs, a shop, your own room, and a lot more fun points when you give a good job. You can also enter full lobbies now, which is infinitely useful.

Railkune
Feb 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
What I believe is they are doing this for a large build up of cash first since the game is 'new', and later in they will allow everyone to trade. Just a guess though.

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:16 PM
I'm actually fairly certain you could trade just about ANYTHING in PSO. Trading was actually a large feature in PSO I remember going into rooms and sitting in there for hours exchanging rares to trade stuff I didn't need for stuff I wanted.

In which case PSU was more related to PSO1 than PSO2 in that respect. Do you think they could potentially change this? If not the JP version, the NA version? That's one of the reasons that PSU drew me in, the econ.

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:18 PM
In which case PSU was more related to PSO1 than PSO2 in that respect. Do you think they could potentially change this? If not the JP version, the NA version? That's one of the reasons that PSU drew me in, the econ.

PSU is a lot more like PSO in a lot of ways. PSO2 shoehorns in a lot of "nostalgia bait" references to PSO, but they aren't really similar at all.

Coatl

But PSO wasn't F2P.

Elendanis
I think one of the main benefits of premium is the increased FUN you get. You can get some decent stuff out of it that sells well, like grind protects.

Yes, but... the price you're paying for a few extra FUN does not really justify paying well over 15 dollars a month.

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:19 PM
But PSO wasn't F2P.

and as a P2P user in PSO2, I still can't trade rare collections with other subscribers... what's your point?

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:19 PM
But PSO wasn't F2P.

But you still can't trade the rares you want to trade even if you DO pay for PSO2. That's one of the key issues I'm having with subbing.

Ezodagrom
Feb 27, 2013, 12:20 PM
Yes, but... the price you're paying for a few extra FUN does not really justify paying well over 15 dollars a month.
But the extra FUN isn't the only thing, there's the extra limit to client orders, the entering full blocks, access to my room, extra limit to symbol arts (for those who care), premium effect to drinks, while it could use more stuff, all these extra small things are nice to have.

Coatl
Feb 27, 2013, 12:21 PM
But you still can't trade the rares you want to trade even if you DO pay for PSO2. That's one of the key issues I'm having with subbing.

http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-weapon-camouflage/

Apparently that's going to change soon. Also, I think Sega will just keep making premium better and better. Because, like you said, it still doesn't seem worth the $15 a month, and a lot of other people feel the same way.

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:24 PM

Apparently that's going to change soon.

But it's not really, because it's a cosmetic feature, I would rather have the real item. See where I'm coming from in this situation?

Emizel
But the extra FUN isn't the only thing, there's the extra limit to client orders, the entering full blocks, access to my room, extra limit to symbol arts (for those who care), premium effect to drinks, while it could use more stuff, all these extra small things are nice to have.

still the OP question was asking if the benefits are worth $15 and the honest answer is no.

Alucadra

Apparently that's going to change soon. Also, I think Sega will just keep making premium better and better. Because, like you said, it still doesn't seem worth the $15 a month, and a lot fo other people feel the same way.

That's a start I guess

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:25 PM
But it's not really, because it's a cosmetic feature, I would rather have the real item. See where I'm coming from in this situation?

there's a part of the article that says 10* items will be tradeable in some capacity... unfortunately it's not that simple. it's probably going to be some AC item to unbind it... and then needing premium on top of that.

Coatl

Scroll down. >_>

Elendanis

That would be reasonable for say... maybe 7 dollars a month, but I respect more for the price we would potentially pay. The features are very minor, and no offense it seems like your trying to rationalize dishing out more money than the average mmo for features that are well below average.

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:26 PM
Scroll down. >_>

Ah, my bad. D:

Soultrigger
Feb 27, 2013, 12:27 PM
Aside from My Shop, everything else is just a perk. I've never gotten Premium, My Room/block size/CO limit/extra FUN/Medical Drinks/1 hour cosmetic change you can definitely live without. For trading, you'd save maybe a few 100k on sales tax for pricey items you can't have friends snipe.

No, I still don't think it's worth it.

Coatl
Feb 27, 2013, 12:28 PM
It's all good. But yes, while I do enjoy premium I still think it could use a lot of improvements. I just hope they don't throw any premium exclusive areas into pso2. That'd make me quit prem forever.

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
one thing I find funny is that as a premium user, you don't get extra character slots by default.

I'm paying $15 a month and I'm still restricted to 1 character unless I pay even MORE. Premium users should have max character slots by default. and I also have to pay MORE real money to change my character at the beauty salon. Premium should allow unlimited beauty salon changes.

honestly Premium is so lame. :etongue:

Anduril
Feb 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
Well, there is also the option to just buy a 30 day My Shop.

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:31 PM
It's all good. But yes, while I do enjoy premium I still think it could use a lot of improvements. I just hope they don't throw any premium exclusive areas into pso2. That'd make me quit prem forever.

Agreed. If they improved upon it to make i the standards of say psu or pso1, that would be perfectly fine, I'd gladly support it, but it just seems too thin at the moment. That being said, the game is still REALLY fresh and who knows what they will be adding. In the meantime, I'm still leveling and it will take some time before I'm maxed, and I'm sure by then things will change, for the best I hope.

one thing I find funny is that as a premium user, you don't get extra character slots by default.

I'm paying $15 a month and I'm still restricted to 1 character unless I pay even MORE. Premium users should have max character slots by default. and I also have to pay MORE real money to change my character at the beauty salon. Premium should allow unlimited beauty salon changes.

honestly Premium is so lame. :etongue:

Yeah, but when you pay the 7 or so dollars for a slot, it is permanent. Still, you're right, you should have multiple shops and be able to change whenever you like. Premium should be more... premium.

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
Premium users have to pay even more $$$ on top of the $15 to change their skill build too... monthly premium users should be able to change their skills for meseta.

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:37 PM
Premium users have to pay even more $$$ on top of the $15 to change their skill build too... monthly premium users should be able to change their skills for meseta.

The problem they face is... they don't make as much money if they make premium how it should be, that being said, if they made premium... true premium, more people would sub, thus giving them more money.

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 12:49 PM
The problem they face is... they don't make as much money if they make premium how it should be, that being said, if they made premium... true premium, more people would sub, thus giving them more money.

yep. there's not a whole lot of premium players, even japanese. none of the hardcore japanese players I have met/friended (the 55/55/55/etc types) have paid for premium, and I can't trade with them.

ultimately SEGA's greed when it comes to PSO2 will make them less money, which is ironic...

with premium only offering very basic features, and still having to pay even more ridiculous amounts for restats, character slots, inventory expansion (another thing NOT included with premium, costs extra), beauty salon, and more. all cost even more real $$$ on top of premium, and nobody thinks it's worth it.

Elendanis
Feb 27, 2013, 12:58 PM
yep. there's not a whole lot of premium players, even japanese. none of the hardcore japanese players I have met/friended (the 55/55/55/etc types) have paid for premium, and I can't trade with them.

ultimately SEGA's greed when it comes to PSO2 will make them less money, which is ironic...

with premium only offering very basic features, and still having to pay even more ridiculous amounts for restats, character slots, inventory expansion (another thing NOT included with premium, costs extra), beauty salon, and more. all cost even more real $$$ on top of premium, and nobody thinks it's worth it.

It's unfortunate that you subbed I guess, but this thread has helped me compile the true issues, I guess all I can do is a keep an eye out, eh?

Emizel
Feb 27, 2013, 01:00 PM
well, it's not that big of a deal to me personally. I mean, I am supporting the game/development, so there's that. if you like the game, supporting it isn't such a bad thing.

I would say the people in this thread like Ezadragom are PROBABLY buying premium for that reason.

I'm just being honest and saying that it's not really worth it for the features and it's a pretty greedy model.

Zyrusticae
Feb 27, 2013, 01:11 PM
I maintain premium all the time using the 3-month tickets.

I like getting extra FUN (lots of extra meseta from that), I CANNOT live without the increased CO limit (I would have to drop every single rare mob CO to fit anything in there), I use the shop all the time to sell units with expensive affixes (again, loadsamoney), FUN scratch items, and the occasional rare, and being able to enter full blocks is a freakin' GODSEND.

I'm glad they don't make premium mandatory or an absolute requirement for anyone who really wants to play the game, and if anyone doesn't see value in these things, GOOD FOR YOU. That means you just get to save some money. Personally, I've already spent over $200 on the game (buying two character slots, getting to 100/100 inventory slots on every character, buying a year's worth of premium, buying some 10+ skill trees, occasionally doing a bit of character remodeling) and I really don't regret a penny of it. Fact is, the game gets more support than any other game I've ever played short of League of Legends (and they're the biggest game in the world right now, so they don't really count).

It's funny, too, because there's been tons of whining in the past about how mandatory it is to buy My Shop time to make any money in the game. Then they made TACOs give out absurd amounts of money and nerfed every other meseta faucet in the game, so now even that function is pretty much defunct.

If anything, I guess SEGA's a little too lenient on the free players...

Link1275
Feb 27, 2013, 01:20 PM
@Emizel, you seem to misunderstand some stuff. Giving premiums access to all character slots doesn't work with Sega's model for that feature. You buy the right to use the slot for one character, if you remake the character then you have to rebuy it. And Sega is trying to sell additional trees, so that idea doesn't fit with their business plan either.

Soultrigger
Feb 27, 2013, 01:59 PM
I CANNOT live without the increased CO limit (I would have to drop every single rare mob CO to fit anything in there)

To put things in perspective, a rare enemy CO gives 20k EXP while a single Falz Hands with a 75% EXP ticket yields ~16k.

Point being, extra CO slots are a perk, not a justification (far from it).

Zyrusticae
Feb 27, 2013, 02:02 PM
To put things in perspective, a rare enemy CO gives 20k EXP while a single Falz Hands with a 75% EXP ticket yields ~16k.

Point being, extra CO slots are a perk, not a justification (far from it).
And exactly how often does Falz actually pop nowadays?

But really, this fixation on picking apart singular features of Premium seems to be missing the point entirely. It's the sum that you're paying for, there shouldn't be a single make-or-break feature that outweighs everything else (or else that thing would be sold separately, just like my room and my shop access are).

MetalDude
Feb 27, 2013, 02:07 PM
There's really little as a whole that premium provides that could make me care to have it. If the whole trading 10*'s thing turns out true, that would actually be the deal maker for me. Otherwise, MyShop is practically a necessity to have.

Soultrigger
Feb 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
And exactly how often does Falz actually pop nowadays?

Conversely, how often does a rare boss show up? Also, Rare Enemy COs are weekly, which makes their usefulness gimped in that regard.

But really, this fixation on picking apart singular features of Premium seems to be missing the point entirely. It's the sum that you're paying for, there shouldn't be a single make-or-break feature that outweighs everything else (or else that thing would be sold separately, just like my room and my shop access are).

I agree with "as a whole", but bear in mind you're paying almost double the cost of a My Shop.

Skyly
Feb 27, 2013, 02:20 PM
It really seems like there's really no real true advantage in going premium.
When I played PSO and PSU on xbox and xbox 360 respectively I always payed for the subs only because you needed to pay but I didn't feel like it wasn't worth it..

supersonix9
Feb 27, 2013, 02:22 PM
SEGA did a good job. Support 'em, get some goodies.

supersonix9
Feb 27, 2013, 02:50 PM
edit: post i quoted disappeared?

Ryo
Feb 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
I actually bought premium since day one and it's because of the storage and myshop, those two things are lifesavers for me. Of course all the other perks are nice, but I literally have -never- traded, which is sad.

Zyrusticae
Feb 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
Conversely, how often does a rare boss show up? Also, Rare Enemy COs are weekly, which makes their usefulness gimped in that regard.
Fortunately, they're not the only COs I run on a regular basis.

Even without the rare enemy COs it's rather difficult to fit everything I want in the 20 CO limit.

I agree with "as a whole", but bear in mind you're paying almost double the cost of a My Shop.
And I'm okay with that.

Also I use my premium storage quite a lot (I've got 150/300 slots on that thing filled, my basic storage is pretty much always full, though that's partly because of how lazy I am about cleaning shit out).

Nikoshae
Feb 27, 2013, 03:00 PM
I find that buying premium is not necessary, but handy if you want the features that come with it. You get some exclusive accesses, such as My Room (a little sanctuary you can go to, and customize with various room items you find in the game), trading, and I think some lobby access. It's optional, though. In the end it is entirely possible to have the same gaming experience that a premium player has without buying premium, especially since you can just buy costumes from people for around 200k meseta or so.

I usually find myself spending money on things such as premium access to a F2P game as a big 'thank you,' but for PSO2 it's mostly a 'I love this series, and here's my money. Please take all of it.' lol

MetalDude
Feb 27, 2013, 03:32 PM
It's great while leveling, especially the first time you're taking out Franka's COs. Afterwards though, I find I can condense most of my CO needs to TACOs and a few Rare Enemy COs. I also take really good care of my free storage so I never have a need for more.

Skyly
Feb 27, 2013, 05:08 PM
It's great while leveling, especially the first time you're taking out Franka's COs. Afterwards though, I find I can condense most of my CO needs to TACOs and a few Rare Enemy COs. I also take really good care of my free storage so I never have a need for more.

What are TACO's - Time Attack Client Orders?
ie. Beat Such and such level with a certain NPC in a specific time?

MetalDude
Feb 27, 2013, 05:09 PM
There's Time Attack quests, Klotho has COs with big payouts for clearing them.