PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, have a few questions

omgwtflolbbl
Feb 28, 2013, 08:53 PM
Just started playing this game. Completely new to Phantasy Star as a whole, and started playing this on a whim lol. Currently leveling a Ranger (22), and also leveling a Hunter (15) so that at some point I can sub it/Fighter. I've been using this site and google to get whatever info I can, but there's still a lot of stuff I'm pretty confused about, so I'd appreciate any help.

1) Exactly what time do the daily orders reset?

2) How important is elemental damage versus straight up damage?

3) Related to number 2, how important is using elemental weaknesses? I've seen people recommend stuff like using cheap +10 weapons with maxed out elements vs. a single really expensive decked out rare, while other people show screenshots that make using any specific element (for weaknesses) seem pretty trivial.

4) Is there any actual damage formula out there that's generally agreed upon?

5) Other than feeding mags if I wanted a dex/ability one, is there any use for keeping around PA disks that I can't use because I've already learned them? Or should I just sell them off?

6) How valuable/rare are grinders? Is there anywhere that has a list of chance rate and how many you need to go from +x to +x+1? Or is it just 1 grinder between every weapon level attempt?

7) When should I actually start using grinders to level weapons?

8) How exactly does exp gained from monsters work? Does it scale depending per level? I killed 2 level 3x Dark Ragnes or whatever solo after like 40 minutes in the hard desert free explore and got pretty much nothing for exp.

9) How valuable is equipment with souls on them? I've got a bunch of stuff with Rappy Soul and Range Soul or whatever, is it worth saving any of them?

Thanks in advance!

Anduril
Feb 28, 2013, 09:12 PM
1. 7amPST/10amEST
2/3. Elemental damage is always a percent boost, even if it isn't the enemy's weakness, so it is usually better to have a weapon with a high elemental percent, but higher level weapons can still be better.
4. A-ru-ru.
5. Nope, just sell them, unless you want to buy an alt character.
6. 1 grinder for any weapon/unit 1*-9* and 2 for 10*. There is a thread in the PSO2 General forum that has a chart and the OP of it is also compiling data.
7. Up to you. The weapons that really benefit from grinding are the ones you are going to use for the long haul.
8. Anything 5 levels or more above you gives an EXP cut.
9. Certain souls are more valuable than others; this also depends on if they are on a weapon or unit. You can search the player shops to check their current value.

SociableTyrannosaur
Feb 28, 2013, 09:14 PM
2) elemental damage is extremely trivial compared to everything else. last thing you want to focus on. It's good but not what makes or breaks a weapon

3) the attribute on a weapon is a bit a cryptic in how it contributes to damage. there are actually two modifiers in place here. The actual attribute percentage has nothing to do with elemental damage, it's actually a straight damage mod. regardless of elemental weakness it grants significant bonus damage to a weapon, so with two identical weapons, one with a 50% bonus in an off element will be better than one with say...25% with the right one. the elemental part gets a damage mod in relation to an enemy's weakness, so while an enemy may be weak to fire it may take 110% damage from fire and 100% damage from wind, that 50% becomes much more crucial than the element as a result.

4) there is, it's in the jp wiki. and its also floating around here, but I'd refer to someone like Unlucky who has more of that information on hand.

5) dont raise a dex mag....just dont. Dex is the least important stat in the game. all it does is raise your minimum damage, but natural dex handles this just fine.

6) grinders are extremely common. I'm sitting on about 500 myself and I grind a lot.

7) this is of some debate. some will tell you to grind nothing cause the game isn't hard. My feeling is anything you feel you're going to be using for a while you should probably grind. Anything under 7* can be resold anyway so you can often times get your money back if you have a shop.

8 )Exp is scaled heavily if you're more than 5 levels below the monster you're fighting. if you're only level 22 fighting level 33 monsters you're not even getting half the exp the monsters actually give. go someplace with monsters closer to your level.

9) Depends on the soul. rappy soul isn't that desirable, but other souls like vol and mizer are worth a lot (the other day I sold a 4 slot weapon with shoot III and fang soul on it for a clean 2mil. Someone else is going to use that to make their own weapon that much stronger, but the weapon itself is already gone). I tend to only hold onto weapons with 3+ slots on them. Anything less you should try to sell if you have a shop.

UnLucky
Mar 1, 2013, 06:42 PM
1) The "day" resets at midnight Japan time, which affect dailies and FUN allotment. Any repeatable client order will become available exactly 24 hours after you turn it in to the NPC (not when you kill the final mob or find the last quest drop). Some can be seven days.

2) Depends on the enemy, but not very many are highly resistant to anything, so a single all-purpose element can serve you quite well. Weaknesses are best exploited by technics, as there aren't many other ways to deal elemental damage.

3) To be more specific, the attribute on your weapon grants a bonus of the weapon's listed Atk stat. So a 700 S-Atk sword will get an extra 350 S-Atk if it had a 50 element, regardless of type. It is only this 350 value that is modified by an enemy's weakness or resistance, so you're only seeing a difference of 175-525 (for 875-1275) as opposed to 525-1575. As a result, the same weapon with an element will always be better than one without, but the actual element type is not as big of a concern, and each tiny increase of the attribute is not a large gain.

4) Very roughly it is:
(Your Atk stat - Target's Def stat)/5 * Damage multipliers

Where "your atk" is any and all sources of the same type that your normal/PA/tech is based on. This can be from your character's stats, your gear, your mag, your skill tree, and any buffs. So S-Atk for melee hits (even with rods/wands) and PAs, R-Atk for bullets and ranged weapon PAs, and T-Atk for all technics as well as talis's regular attack (thrown cards).

Damage multipliers includes successful timing of a Just Attack, the Power rating of your PA/tech, any percentage based skill from your tree, hitting the enemy's weak point (or resistance point, see: Kartagot/Krabahda), and elemental weakness/resistances. When being attacked, percentage based defensive skills (Flash Guard, Deband Cut) are damage multipliers. Note that all damage multipliers are multiplied together, so two 110% skills become 121%, and so on (two 20% damage reduction skills become 36% reduction, since they are actually 0.8x0.8=0.64).

5) If you ever get a My Shop, say from FUN scratch or Premium, you can sell them to other players. Otherwise, if you've already learned them, they are not very useful to you. Do try and save ones you can't use yet due to not meeting the minimum requirements to learn them.

6) You shouldn't have to worry about the grind chance for weapons 6* and below. 10* gets ridiculous, though. Units (defensive equips) are all very easy to grind, compared to weapons that is, but they still have a higher cost and lower chance at higher rarities.

7) Once you get some nice weapons, possibly with some decent affixes, that you don't plan on replacing for a while. Or you have some extra meseta/grinders and want to just +5 or +6 what you have for now. Grinding can be a pretty large boost, and getting one to +10 will discourage you from upgrading the next best thing for a small increase for the trouble. I'd say you'll keep a 6* at +10 for quite a lot of content, and it's around the cutoff point where grinding becomes ridiculous. Red Weapons (7*) are the next logical step before investing in endgame equipment.

8) Apparently this will be adjusted, but for now it's as they've said.

9) Check the stats, and if it's useful to you, you should try putting it on your equipment. An appropriate soul and a stat increase (lv2 or 3) is a relatively cheap way to noticeably improve your stats. It is also one of the only ways to raise your maximum HP or PP.