PDA

View Full Version : JP PSO2 Keyboard VS Gamepad

Zipzo
Mar 3, 2013, 05:41 PM
Which do you use and why/what do you think of the other? Which do you think is optimal? Do you think PSO2 was "meant" for either?

EvilMag
Mar 3, 2013, 05:43 PM
Gamepad cause my hands cramp when I use Keyboard + mouse plus it's really hard to get used to do it where with using a 360 controller, I can easily use it.

gigawuts
Mar 3, 2013, 05:43 PM
both

both are fine

both work

melee benefits more from controller

manual aiming benefits more from the precision of M&K

but both function just fine based on personal preference and previous gaming experience

Ezodagrom
Mar 3, 2013, 05:47 PM
For me it's keyboard and mouse, using the mouse for aiming or using it to control the camera, this is a must for me. ^^;

Z-0
Mar 3, 2013, 05:47 PM
Personally, I find controller more comfortable, but mouse and keyboard are far better due to precision aiming.

I hate keyboards for games like this though so I just aim with my controller and do a terrible job of it (but at least I'm not as bad as Shadowth117 B))

Xaeris
Mar 3, 2013, 05:53 PM
I prefer the controller overall, but for TPS mode, I do take hold of my mouse to aim. It's...awkward. But it works.

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 3, 2013, 05:55 PM
I use both.
Both work fine for me.

LK1721
Mar 3, 2013, 05:57 PM
I prefer the controller overall, but for TPS mode, I do take hold of my mouse to aim. It's...awkward. But it works.
Pretty much this.

BIG OLAF
Mar 3, 2013, 05:59 PM
I use a gamepad. I've always been terrible with the keyboard/mouse combo in these kinds of fast-paced games. I love it for top-down dungeon crawlers, though.

Alucard V
Mar 3, 2013, 06:07 PM
Gamepad from my birth to the hearse.

reptile7383
Mar 3, 2013, 06:12 PM
I use keyboard and mouse. Not that I prefer it really, it's just that its more of a hassle to use my gamepad when my desk is already full of stuff :P. PSO doesn't really require the precision that would warrent me getting out my gamepad.

Zipzo
Mar 3, 2013, 06:23 PM
I use keyboard and mouse. Not that I prefer it really, it's just that its more of a hassle to use my gamepad when my desk is already full of stuff :P. PSO doesn't really require the precision that would warrent me getting out my gamepad.
I think most would argue that more precision comes from using M+KB...

As for me I've spent a majority of my play time using a gamepad...I've experimented with the keyboard but haven't taken the plunge on getting used to it so it's forever awkward feeling as of yet.

I feel as though Keyboard and mouse would be better suited to pretty much any class, with the ease of access to at least the first 5 on your hotbar (if you're an MMORPG veteran of any kind), which gives you utimately a bit more utility on the go. It's pretty easy to access them using a controller but it's undoubtedly not as quick and easily accessed where if your fingers are centimeters away.

I am hoping to get used to PSO2 KB play for playing ranger or gunner but have yet to begin leveling those extensively.

Bellion
Mar 3, 2013, 06:24 PM
I use both.

1-0 for the subpalette, 1-6 with num lock-on to switch between weapons in the press of 1 key. Gamepad for everything else, though.

Drifting Fable
Mar 3, 2013, 08:06 PM
I use both but mainly a gamepad, that's just how I prefer my hack-and-slash action games.

yoshiblue
Mar 3, 2013, 08:11 PM

Pretty much this. I should get a N64 controller for this. Deck it out with Arkz decals.

reptile7383
Mar 3, 2013, 08:30 PM
I think most would argue that more precision comes from using M+KB...

Not when it comes to hack-n-slash/platforming/racing/ect games. Mouse is very precise which makes it great for aiming in shooters but the keyboard for example only offers 4 directions of movement (8 if you if hold to at the same time) where as joysticks offer 360 degrees of movement. Theres many other advantages for using a controller such as button sensitivity but I'm sure you get my point. I would NEVER play a game like DMC with a keyboard. It would just be too clunky

Arrow
Mar 3, 2013, 08:36 PM
Gamepad for Up-close-and-personal Rapid dodging mayhem
Keyboard for Sniping half-way across the map like a Boss...
exhagerations ftw.

Rien
Mar 3, 2013, 08:39 PM
Turbo a wirelance holding current

gamepad is op

luca_maygrinn
Mar 3, 2013, 09:05 PM
they both work perfectly. I even use the PS3 controller on it.
but I default back to keyboard because I tend to converse with the team/party in the middle of combat so it gets tiring to switch between pad and keys. shift+tabbing for I.M.E.

Zipzo
Mar 3, 2013, 10:46 PM
Not when it comes to hack-n-slash/platforming/racing/ect games. Mouse is very precise which makes it great for aiming in shooters but the keyboard for example only offers 4 directions of movement (8 if you if hold to at the same time) where as joysticks offer 360 degrees of movement. Theres many other advantages for using a controller such as button sensitivity but I'm sure you get my point. I would NEVER play a game like DMC with a keyboard. It would just be too clunky

This isn't necessarily true because the mouse controls your direction and facing, giving you just as much movement freedom...however the camera will remain behind you...which is worth mentioning as I agree with you for the most part.

BarbblerElf
Mar 3, 2013, 11:12 PM
Gampad for me. It's just more comfortable for me being able to control the actions of my character without having to be in a set position holding the mouse and all the keys. Though I am more used to playing console games so it feels like home.

Sparzyle
Mar 3, 2013, 11:30 PM
I use both.

1-0 for the subpalette, 1-6 with num lock-on to switch between weapons in the press of 1 key. Gamepad for everything else, though.
^This, also using the 0-9 keys above the letters for mates and atomizers

also I've used that quick mouse for TPS mode but just when Weak Bullet/Chain applying P:

shachao
Mar 3, 2013, 11:33 PM
M&K for pro players. Gamepad more easy to play, but if you wanna be a pro player go M&K like me :). :)

Quatre52
Mar 4, 2013, 12:14 AM
Game pad, its worked great for every Phantasy Star game before, why change now?

Zyrusticae
Mar 4, 2013, 12:20 AM
I use both.

This guy gets it.

These types of games just don't feel quite right playing with anything other than a gamepad, y'know?

Klypto
Mar 4, 2013, 12:21 AM
My keyboard glows orange, has a built in screen and does macros so it makes it more fun.

BarbblerElf
Mar 4, 2013, 12:31 AM
Gamepads just feel more smooth, fluid, and natural imo

Syklo
Mar 4, 2013, 12:36 AM
Keyboard only.

I kid, but there are times when I just don't use the mouse (since it's wireless it'll occasionally die out......real pain in boss fights).
10% of the time, ONLY KEYBOARDS!

UnLucky
Mar 4, 2013, 12:55 AM
Keyboard: Access to more buttons

Mouse: Precision aiming

Controller: Full 360 degree analog movement

And a side effect of the digital controls for keyboard is that any time control is taken away from the player (area change, traps, teleporters, catapults), you must let go of all keys before they will register again. With an analog stick, you can just alter the angle a tiny bit to resume control.

Gama
Mar 4, 2013, 03:07 AM
controller but i need to get a 360 one. not cheap tho

Zenobia
Mar 4, 2013, 05:06 AM
Controller+Joy To Key i dun have to use anything on my keyboard nor do i have to use the numpad to change my weps everything is on my controller customized to fit any class of play.

It's aggravating at first setting it all up but booooy its a dream come true once your done.

Link1275
Mar 4, 2013, 01:13 PM
Keyboard, I don't have a 360 controller and PS3 controllers are a pain to get working right.

Caledonia
Mar 4, 2013, 01:23 PM
I use my controller but I still use the numpad for weapon switches. That said, I wouldn't want to switch back to mouse + keyboard

shachao
Mar 4, 2013, 01:26 PM
Keyboard, I don't have a 360 controller and PS3 controllers are a pain to get working right.

Stay M&K trust me you will thank me later. You will be a pro player one day :)

Saffran
Mar 4, 2013, 01:27 PM
PSO2 is an excellent chat program, so of course I use a keyboard only.
(I play on a laptop so no mouse anyway)

shachao
Mar 4, 2013, 01:37 PM
PSO2 is an excellent chat program, so of course I use a keyboard only.
(I play on a laptop so no mouse anyway)

Yeah... a laptop not so good for this game. If you're using a laptop, best to use a Gamepad for now.

Cagedtaytay
Mar 4, 2013, 01:49 PM
Stay M&K trust me you will thank me later. You will be a pro player one day :)

How does using a M&K make one a 'pro player'? I mean..seriously...Using a gamepad is just as fine too.

shachao
Mar 4, 2013, 02:10 PM
How does using a M&K make one a 'pro player'? I mean..seriously...Using a gamepad is just as fine too.

They're so many reason why it make you a pro player.

1- Move faster when switching weapon, and using step attack.(or with out it)

2- Use item faster.

3- Switch weapon faster.

4- Easy to chat, and play

and etc.... Soon or later you will understand what I mean. :)

Caledonia
Mar 4, 2013, 02:36 PM

2- Use item faster.

3- Switch weapon faster.

1. Hold left analog stick while pressing weapon button (surely the same as holding WASD key and pressing weapon button?)

2. As above -how does pressing a button on a mouse/keyboard make it faster than pressing a button on a controller

3. Same

4. No, because I can be moving etc with my controller as my other hand types. Also, voice chat voids that anyway.

Cagedtaytay
Mar 4, 2013, 02:39 PM

2- Use item faster.

3- Switch weapon faster.

Using either doesn't change how well you play but whatever...

shachao
Mar 4, 2013, 02:59 PM
ohh ok w.e lol you seem to lack the skill of a good player anyways.

Darki
Mar 4, 2013, 03:17 PM
^ because the skill of a good player depends on using keyboard, right. I suppose that's what you tell yourself when you suck at a run? "Ima pr4h!".

On topic, I use both because this game has far too many buttons to map them on a controller unless you use a thid party program and a crapton of macros-double keys. Gamepad for movement and normal sweeping, keyboard for hotkeys, and when I need TPS mode I actually go with gamepad + mouse. I should get a gaming mouse with two extra buttons for that to work as good as I'd like, but works good and is more accurate than going with the keyboard for movement.

The Walrus
Mar 4, 2013, 03:19 PM
I typically use controller regardless of which class I'm playing. That said it would probably be a good idea for me to start using KB&M at some point for ranger...on the rare occasion that I actually play it.

UnLucky
Mar 4, 2013, 03:34 PM
1. Hold left analog stick while pressing weapon button (surely the same as holding WASD key and pressing weapon button?)

2. As above -how does pressing a button on a mouse/keyboard make it faster than pressing a button on a controller

3. Same

4. No, because I can be moving etc with my controller as my other hand types. Also, voice chat voids that anyway.

As long as you're not scrolling through lists on your controller, they're equal. But good luck mapping all that to buttons.

And there's autorun to chat while moving, which you can guide with the mouse on camera.

Z-0
Mar 4, 2013, 03:36 PM
It's more like switching weapons to move quicker by cancelling dashes. It's far easier on keyboard than it is on controller, although it can be done on controller (since I do it myself).

UnLucky
Mar 4, 2013, 03:38 PM
I lag too much to do that, so I have to do the switch early to prempt it, but it's inconsistent. Double or Knuckle dash are enough.

Alenoir
Mar 4, 2013, 03:47 PM
Where's option 3? Keyboard/mouse AND gamepad at once? Because moving around with the analog stick while using mouse to shoot thing in manual mode is the correct way to play.

Cagedtaytay
Mar 4, 2013, 04:36 PM
ohh ok w.e lol you seem to lack the skill of a good player anyways.

Whatever helps you get through the day.

shachao
Mar 4, 2013, 04:40 PM
All the pro JP players said "best to master M&K". If you ask any pro player, they will say M&K is way better. I'm not saying Gamepad are not good. Just M&K is the pro way. If you don't care about being a pro player, and want to play the game nice, and easy. Best to use Gamepad

yoshiblue
Mar 4, 2013, 04:50 PM
Where's option 3? Keyboard/mouse AND gamepad at once? Because moving around with the analog stick while using mouse to shoot thing in manual mode is the correct way to play.

Option 3? There would be an option 3 if everyone had the money for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY

Ezodagrom
Mar 4, 2013, 04:53 PM
All the pro JP players said "best to master M&K". If you ask any pro player, they will say M&K is way better. I'm not saying Gamepad are not good. Just M&K is the pro way. If you don't care about being a pro player, and want to play the game nice, and easy. Best to use Gamepad
There's people who use gamepads that play better than some that use kb/m, and there's people who use kb/m that play better than some that use gamepad. Either option works fine, and players should use what they feel confortable with.

Shadowth117
Mar 4, 2013, 04:54 PM

That's why Zyn, me and a number of others have been able to compete toe to toe with JP Players in various challenges such as boss fights, Time Attack, etc. right? If anything its the ping and that's not even usually an issue. Of course, if you fail epicly using a controller then that's more of a personal problem. It may be easier overall to aim and such with a mouse and some things may switch *marginally* faster, but for a lot of this its just splitting hairs. Pro JP players can do what they want. But as long as gamepad players are able to compete on anywhere near even ground with them your statements are very silly.

Good day.

o0Kais0o
Mar 4, 2013, 04:58 PM
For me using a gamepad is preferable, if only because I've always been more of a console gamer. I still use a lot of the keyboard shortcuts though, weapon changing chief among them.

shachao
Mar 4, 2013, 05:34 PM
That's why Zyn, me and a number of others have been able to compete toe to toe with JP Players in various challenges such as boss fights, Time Attack, etc. right? If anything its the ping and that's not even usually an issue. Of course, if you fail epicly using a controller then that's more of a personal problem. It may be easier overall to aim and such with a mouse and some things may switch *marginally* faster, but for a lot of this its just splitting hairs. Pro JP players can do what they want. But as long as gamepad players are able to compete on anywhere near even ground with them your statements are very silly.

Good day.

But yet again can you beat there time? I saw your videos, and Zyn. They make you guys look like nothing. (my opinion)

Caledonia
Mar 4, 2013, 05:58 PM
But can you prove that their times are a result solely of m&k? I'd imagine group cohesion and practice would play far greater parts.

The only way to prove one or the other would be having the same group (two who prefer gamepad, two who prefer m&k) do the same TA a number of times, half all on m&k half on gamepad and find the best time/best average. If you want us to take your point, I suggest you do that experiment.

Inazuma
Mar 4, 2013, 06:19 PM
If you use TPS mode very often, then keyboard/mouse or controller/mouse could be best for you. Rangers, especially.

For everyone else, controller is best. If you take the time to setup your controls right, you can do everything from your controller. After reading through this thread, it looks like Zenobia is the only person who does this.

If you use the default controller, you are doing it wrong. You have to reach for keyboard constantly to use the hotbar and change weapons. That's horrible. If you don't reach for the keyboard and scroll through hotbar/weapon lists using the dpad on your controller, that's even worse.

Here is a list of what I can do from my controller:

- all of the default controls
- change target
- both map buttons
- quick menu
- all 10 hotbar items
- all 6 weapon change shortcuts
- turbo E button (to pick up items faster/activate switches, etc)
- auto pickup ON/OFF (when on, it will do turbo E automatically, so I can pick up items by walking over them. Mainly used for PSE Bursts)
- hotbar book menu shortcut (so I can quickly switch to the other set of 3 hotbars in battle)
- autorun/follow
- numpad * and + to zoom camera out
- all 10 chat shortcuts

And while mouse is superior for TPS mode, it's not that bad on my controller. Without taking my thumb off of the right analog stick, I can use primary attack/secondary attack, shift attacks, a few hotbar items, dodge and jump.

Blackheart521
Mar 4, 2013, 06:33 PM
If you use TPS mode very often, then keyboard/mouse or controller/mouse could be best for you. Rangers, especially.

For everyone else, controller is best. If you take the time to setup your controls right, you can do everything from your controller. After reading through this thread, it looks like Zenobia is the only person who does this.

If you use the default controller, you are doing it wrong. You have to reach for keyboard constantly to use the hotbar and change weapons. That's horrible. If you don't reach for the keyboard and scroll through hotbar/weapon lists using the dpad on your controller, that's even worse.

- change target
- both map buttons
- quick menu
- all 10 hotbar items
- auto pickup ON/OFF (when on, it will do turbo E automatically, so I can pick up items by walking over them. Mainly used for PSE Bursts)
- hotbar book menu shortcut (so I can quickly switch to the other set of 3 hotbars in battle)
- autorun/follow
- all 10 chat shortcuts

And while mouse is superior for TPS mode, it's not that bad on my controller. Without taking my thumb off of the right analog stick, I can use primary attack/secondary attack, shift attacks, a few hotbar items, dodge and jump.

What kind of controller do you have? If you're doing all that on a 360 controller I have no clue how you're doing it ^^;

UnLucky
Mar 4, 2013, 06:41 PM
What kind of controller do you have? If you're doing all that on a 360 controller I have no clue how you're doing it ^^;

http://reachingutopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ps4-controller.jpg

God of Awesome
Mar 4, 2013, 06:46 PM
I initially played the game with a M+K, but I didn't really like it and I got finger cramps after 1 hour of play. Then I got a 360 pad and it feels like a whole new game; it really is so much better.

Inazuma
Mar 4, 2013, 06:56 PM

Razer Sabertooth Xbox 360 controller

If I was using a standard Xbox 360 controller, I would reach over and use the keyboard for chat shortcuts, but everything else would fit. Also, TPS mode wouldn't be as good as the Sabertooth.

HiOc
Mar 4, 2013, 07:54 PM
I use both.

Been using a gamepad lately since I can lay/sit in more positions comfortably.

Zipzo
Mar 4, 2013, 09:00 PM

- change target
- both map buttons
- quick menu
- all 10 hotbar items
- autorun/follow
- all 10 chat shortcuts

Yeah, calling you on this rose-colored bull. Unless you're using some type of system where you can have combination presses (A+B) being a completely separate input (all 10 hotbar items, lol). Most of us are intelligent enough to know how many buttons are on an Xbox controller (which the sabertooth is).

Also, I had to add - I laughed so hard at Unlucky's picture.

Darki
Mar 4, 2013, 09:20 PM
^ Have you ever heard of Xpadder, or JoytoKey? Don't need to be so aggressive, dude. Intelligent people are usually able to be polite, too.

You can map keyboard keys to gamepad buttons with these programs and add functions that are not in the game by default, like hold/tap or combination keys easily. I use JoyToKey and I have added more than 20 keys to my 11-buttons gamepad and is perfectly usable. For example you can have both targetting buttons (lock-on/drop and change target) in a single button, tap for lock-on and swap, hold to drop target. Or you can map number keys to a bumper + any of the four pad buttons.

Zipzo
Mar 4, 2013, 09:25 PM
^ Have you ever heard of Xpadder, or JoytoKey? Don't need to be so aggressive, dude. Intelligent people are usually able to be polite, too.

You can map keyboard keys to gamepad buttons with these programs and add functions that are not in the game by default, like hold/tap or combination keys easily. I use JoyToKey and I have malled more than 20 keys to my 11-buttons gamepad and is perfectly usable.

For example you can have both targetting buttons (lock-on/drop and change target) in a single button, tap for lock-on and swap, hold to drop target. Or you can map number keys to a bumper + any of the four pad buttons.And all of those alternatives sound annoying to probably a great majority of players...I would have an easier time just taking my hand off the gamepad to hit a keyboard shortcut and still remain just as optimal instead of memorizing 20 different combinations of button presses for that many abilities when you can just assign one input per action to your brain.

Darki
Mar 4, 2013, 09:32 PM
Well, you can use whatever the fuck you want, it's your game after all. I was just pointing you to the way Midori had all those keys assigned in his gamepad, since you called bullshit on that.

But for me is much easier to know that I can do for example all the lock-on functions with a single button like pretty much every freaking game I've played before, instead of wasting two buttons or just playing in a half-assed way with only one of the functions. Same with other options that can be made more efficient. It took me around 20 minutes of my life to download JoyToKey, map the keys properly and have them working. I'd say is not too much investment of intelligence, specially if you're also able to be aware of the number of buttons your gamepad has, I'd say.

GuardianGirth
Mar 4, 2013, 09:51 PM
Guarantee i'm better than 90% of JP players and I've used an xbox paddle from the get go.

TA is a nice representation of skill, but its also only about 5% of this game as a whole.

Shadowth117
Mar 4, 2013, 10:14 PM
But yet again can you beat there time? I saw your videos, and Zyn. They make you guys look like nothing. (my opinion)

Well congrats. Now you've proven yourself to be almost a complete idiot in my eyes and those of every other person with any sense of logic in their head. That or literally every other JP player at that time was just as bad if not worse than me because when I posted most of my vids with times in them, not sure for Zyn's, they *beat* the times of any of the others posted. So yeah, not sure what you're talking about there sorry.

So where *are* these better videos then at those dates? Or do they exist? I already know the answer to that. And by the way, for all of the skill you seem to be able to judge, you certainly have NOTHING to show in the way of your own. And its pretty hard to judge skill without being able to play yourself. You haven't even *tried* to post anything publicly as far as I can tell so why don't you go and show us how to be these so called amazing players instead of whining on about how people who actually try and had the courage to subject their attempts to the criticism of the public suck horribly.

And I mean clearly, you understand very well how to be amazing at this game so I'd love for you to give some credibility to that.

Z-0
Mar 4, 2013, 10:23 PM
only reason i cant beat jp players is coz my loading times suck and i cant chain kill like at all (lmao i cant even rafoie 3 rappies in nab TA XD only does two)

I use controller even for TPS aim, and unless it's super precise (like Lilipa TA switches, for example), I hit everything pretty much bang on. I'm thinking of using mouse to aim for tiny things like that anyway, just to make it faster.

Inazuma
Mar 4, 2013, 10:26 PM
@Zipzo

It took me about 10 hours to plan and configure my Xbox controller. And yes, it took a week or so to memorize it all. It's very complicated at first. However, once you have it memorized, it's awesome. Compared to most fighting games, it's actually a lot easier to learn.

I think controls are very important. If you don't, then maybe you shouldn't be reading topics about controls.

gigawuts
Mar 4, 2013, 10:29 PM
Ah, out of curiosity, was the z-axis trigger issue ever resolved for xbox 360 controllers in PSO2? Pressing both triggers - not bumpers - at once cancels both of them out, since they use the same axis on directinput. It's fine on games with xinput enabled, but PSO2 is not one of those games.

I know of custom drivers for wired controllers, but use a wireless controller so...yeah.

Shadowth117
Mar 4, 2013, 10:38 PM
Ah, out of curiosity, was the z-axis trigger issue ever resolved for xbox 360 controllers in PSO2? Pressing both triggers - not bumpers - at once cancels both of them out, since they use the same axis on directinput. It's fine on games with xinput enabled, but PSO2 is not one of those games.

I know of custom drivers for wired controllers, but use a wireless controller so...yeah.

Its not something that usually ever comes up, but no its not fixed.

gigawuts
Mar 4, 2013, 10:49 PM
I didn't figure. I was hoping for some third party program by now.

Oh well.

Soultrigger
Mar 5, 2013, 12:14 AM
@Inazuma: I was wondering: can you map input to register differently while holding another button down? (e.g. holding L1/left bumper and pressing D-Pad Up causes a different keyboard mapping than just D-Pad Up)

Trying to attempt mapping in my head how you're able to squeeze so many hotkey functionalities on such limited options. I know sensitivity/duration is most likely in there, but I don't want to have to worry about sensitivity in the middle of, say, a boss fight.

Inazuma
Mar 5, 2013, 02:33 AM
@gigawuts

If there are custom drivers for Xbox 360 controllers on Windows 7 64-bit that fixes the problem of the triggers being on the same axis, I would love to know about it. That would open up new control possibilities.

@soutrigger

I use a combination of toggle keys and tap/holds. Pressing UP on the dpad will work as you would expect, but if I hold L1 and press UP, it will open the menu. If I hold R1 and press UP, it will change to the weapon in slot #1.

Pressing both L1 and R1 together could work like a regular button, or it could act as a 3rd toggle even.

I have both lock on and change target on the same button. If I tap the button it does change target; holding it will release the lock on. Same idea for both map buttons.

Soultrigger
Mar 5, 2013, 02:48 AM
Ah, the "SHIFT" option is to transition between Joysticks. And here I thought "Joystick 2" was for player 2 lol.

I've been wondering how to do this for a while (initially I assumed it was impossible given the limitations). Thanks!

EDIT: What I came up with so far (PS3 notation):
[SPOILER-BOX]X: Jump
Circle: Access
Square: Normal Attack (Action 1)
R1: PA/Tech
R2: Lock On (Action 1), Normal Attack (Action 2)
L1: Evade
L2: Weapon Action
Select: Map
Start: Main Menu
Left Analog: Move
L3: Autofollow
Right Analog: Camera
R3: Change

Circle + ...
R2: Switch Targets (Action 1), Normal Attack (Action 2)
Select: Radar
D-Pad: Weapons 1~3, Autofire E
Right Analog: Sub palette 1~4
R3: Sub palette 5

Triangle + ...
R1: Autofire PA/Tech
R2: Switch Targets (Action 1), Normal Attack (Action 2)
Select: Radar
D-Pad: Weapons 4~6
Right Analog: Sub palette 6~9
R3: Sub palette 0

Start + ...
D-Pad: Weapon, Unit, Sub palette, Mag Menu
R1: Client Order Menu
R2: Matter Board Menu
L1: Quick Menu
L2: Item Menu
Select: Nearby Player List

I could've made Select + ... be a bunch of Chat shortcuts, but the Quick Menu suffices for that. It was also a bit annoying accommodating for a weird Window quirk (bug?) where pressing Numpad 1 does Window Tab Forward.

Anyways, kind've surprising how many hotkeys I can add with just a few combinations. Still rather intuitive since most of the main buttons are where they're supposed to be (in case anyone is wondering, my scheme is mainly based on MegaMan Zero/ZX). This is mainly for a non-Tech class configuration of course: Right Analog for sub palette works because I don't need to hold down the button to apply a Stance/use an item.

For a Tech class, I'd probably have to come with a radically different scheme if I wanted to incorporate the entire sub palette effectively.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

Aeris
Mar 5, 2013, 03:52 AM
Keyboard and Wireless Mouse, i do have a gamepad (PS2 Dual Shock) but the right stick does not work with PSO2 at all and the left stick is starting to go bad due to the spring wearing out.

Softypolimer
Mar 5, 2013, 07:24 AM
Depends. Game pad is so darn convenience for the hunters. K&M better for force and rangers

Seraphus
Mar 5, 2013, 07:31 AM
If there are custom drivers for Xbox 360 controllers on Windows 7 64-bit that fixes the problem of the triggers being on the same axis, I would love to know about it. That would open up new control possibilities.

I believe XBCD is supposed to do this. And this is only a problem with PSO2 in the sense it doesn't use Xinput. The real issue is with DirectInput which will likely never change this unless you use custom drivers/software.

gigawuts
Mar 5, 2013, 08:43 AM
@gigawuts

http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-xbcd-0-2-7-release-info-updates-will-be-posted-here

Here you go! It's only for wired controllers though, as I said. I haven't tried installing it since I don't use a wired controller myself, so I couldn't tell you how easy it is to set up or if gameguard would interfere with it in any way (I don't imagine it will, but hey it's gameguard).

re: directinput/xinput

The issue is based on how the triggers are meant to function, which isn't really possible with directinput. So they did a bandaid fix in directinput, and made it function properly in xinput. It's a problem for directinput as much as windows '95 is a problem for modern computers - it's not, it's just outdated.

TheDeFiler
Mar 5, 2013, 11:29 AM
I'll be hooking up my gaming rig to my 55 Inch TV and will be using the 360 controller so I can relax and play. I work in IT answering calls so the last thing I want to do anymore to sit on a chair gaming when I get home. Relaxing on my couch sounds a lot better.

Railkune
Mar 5, 2013, 11:38 AM
I use both.
Both work fine for me.

Basically.

I just use whichever I feel like during the time. Sometimes I may want mess around with the controller, and sometimes I don't feel like using it, so I'll just use the M&K.

Merumeru
Mar 5, 2013, 12:31 PM
X3 Gamepad is working out for me right now; I wanna figure out how to get the chatpad to work, then I can be one of those couch people like you guys XD

Skye-Fox713
Mar 5, 2013, 01:41 PM
Both are fine, though I prefer the keyboard+mouse.

Fox Alive
Mar 5, 2013, 04:26 PM
I use a playstation controller.

Left Analog - character movement

Right Analog - Camera

Left & Right on me D-pad - used to select 1- 0

Up & Down on me D-pad - used to change weapons

Up or Down on me D-pad then hold Left - used to open sub palette menu then press up or down to select a palette.

Left Analog 3 (pressing the Left stick) - to use the selected item on me sub palette.

Right Analog 3 (pressing the right stick) - TPS mode

Square - Attack

Triangle - PP Attack

Circle - Me Action button

X - jump

R1 - I don't know the correct name. as a hunter it lets me guard enemy attacks.

R2 - dash

L1 - lock on a target

L2 - change targets

Direct chat is enabled so I don't have to press ENTER to open the chat box.

Inazuma
Mar 5, 2013, 04:47 PM
http://vba-m.com/forum/Thread-xbcd-0-2-7-release-info-updates-will-be-posted-here

Here you go! It's only for wired controllers though, as I said. I haven't tried installing it since I don't use a wired controller myself, so I couldn't tell you how easy it is to set up or if gameguard would interfere with it in any way (I don't imagine it will, but hey it's gameguard).

re: directinput/xinput

The issue is based on how the triggers are meant to function, which isn't really possible with directinput. So they did a bandaid fix in directinput, and made it function properly in xinput. It's a problem for directinput as much as windows '95 is a problem for modern computers - it's not, it's just outdated.

Thanks (^_^)b

Lostbob117
Mar 5, 2013, 07:28 PM
Keyboard because it is way better, gamepads are lame. I use the keyboard's basic controls except I changed Evade to the mouse's button click.

Cagedtaytay
Mar 5, 2013, 09:41 PM
Keyboard because it is way better, gamepads are lame. I use the keyboard's basic controls except I changed Evade to the mouse's button click.

How are gamepads lame?

Noblewine
Mar 5, 2013, 10:46 PM
I think I'll play on a gamepad instead since I'm use to holding a controller.

Poubelle
Mar 5, 2013, 10:49 PM
I use a 360 controller.i think it was meant to be played with a gamepad,especially since the game was created with vita in mind as well.

when I switch to keyboard & mouse...it feels like im playing dragon nest or some crap like that. it just feels cheap. im not sure.

i have much more fun with gamepad in this game.

Poubelle
Mar 5, 2013, 10:51 PM
i will note though that I use hunter& fighter exclusively.

if I played range or force... I would probably stick to kb&mouse.

Adronicus
Mar 5, 2013, 11:47 PM
@gigawutsd

Is there a program for wireless users like myself that I can use since I have been using M&K and haven't really tried my xbox 360 controller on it

Shadowth117
Mar 5, 2013, 11:51 PM
@gigawutsd

Is there a program for wireless users like myself that I can use since I have been using M&K and haven't really tried my xbox 360 controller on it

If you mean like wireless Xbox 360 controllers, there's an adapter you can buy pretty cheap. The game has a control set up built for the 360 controller from the start though.

Sentri
Mar 6, 2013, 02:10 AM
Personally I prefer using a gamepad over a keyboard and mouse, and I mainly play Ranger.

I find it more comfortable to use, and less stressful on the hands over long sessions. I do like m&k for TPS though of course.

I re mapped the controls for TPS, so that right trigger is attack and it feels better, but using PA's like that breaks my brain every time since I reflex hit X (using 360 controller)

Jay6
Mar 6, 2013, 07:40 AM
I've been playing PSO with keyboard for at least 10 years. I can say I've gotten pretty used to playing games with a keyboard over time, that I can't really play too well with a controller on this game. :/

Lostbob117
Mar 6, 2013, 06:28 PM
How are gamepads lame?

Cause they're not a keyboard ,duh.

Adronicus
Mar 6, 2013, 11:04 PM
If you mean like wireless Xbox 360 controllers, there's an adapter you can buy pretty cheap. The game has a control set up built for the 360 controller from the start though.

Ah ok, I have the adapter. So do I just plug it in, connect, and play?

gigawuts
Mar 6, 2013, 11:14 PM
Ah ok, I have the adapter. So do I just plug it in, connect, and play?

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Xbox-360/dp/B003WFYZCY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1362629633&sr=8-5&keywords=xbox+360+controller+wireless+receiver

This is what I use, although I got it bundled with a controller in a store.

Runia
Mar 7, 2013, 04:43 PM
I use a controller and I rather love it, the controls seem super natural and intuitive.. like there was hardly an adjustment/figuring out the controls period for me when I started playing. So I definitely was from the start and still am under the impression that this game was made to be played with a controller. Although for me personally, first person view would require me to use a mouse for camera controls as the right analog stick makes it too slow and imprecise. (but eh I don't use first person mode unless I'm playing ranger which isn't often)
Also walking. Walking is great!

Vanelle
Mar 9, 2013, 11:59 PM
Honestly? I cannot and will not ever play PSO2 without my PS3 controller. Mind you I use my laptop's number pad for subpallet and auto words and such but there's just no playing like with a controller. it's so darn fluid and wonderful and you can have your chat enabled at all times should you need. I tried playing KB and just spazed xD

Shinamori
Mar 10, 2013, 12:02 AM
Keyboard and mouse because I'm too lazy to setup my controller.