PDA

View Full Version : Vol Dragon...

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 09:50 PM
Vol Dragon is kicking my butt. I'm level 17, and it's level 18. Any tips? Other than playing with someone. That's out of the question and I'm on ship 3, so not many players and no one I know plays this. People I do know that plays this has either stop playing or waiting until the US version comes out.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32409323/pso20130307_214421_000.jpg

Keyblade59
Mar 7, 2013, 09:51 PM
A party, unless you have insane skills behind you or a strong weapon your going to kill a vol dragon when your one level lower than it, let along 5 levels higher than it.

Link1275
Mar 7, 2013, 09:52 PM
Simple. Get better everything(fire res units, ice weapon with 21+ element), grind it all to +10. Join some poor unsuspecting JP party, and butcher it.

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 09:53 PM
Well I play with the NPCs as my party !~Forever Alone~! I'm a hunter, my only weapon that has ice attribute is my Berdys, but it's weak when compared to my breaker.

エミーゼル
Mar 7, 2013, 09:54 PM
youre only level 17, might as well move to ship2

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 10:03 PM
If I move to ship 2, I'd have to start at level 1, won't I? I'm not doing that.

Kondibon
Mar 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
I'm going to have to agree with エミーゼル. It might be better for you to just remake your character on ship2 if you want to play with other people. I'd be glad to give you a hand with things.

I really don't have any concrete tips on beating Vol solo just that I practiced. I'm not as good as those people who beat bosses without getting hit though.

And you're only level 17 it'd be best to start over now than wait until you're level 40 and think "Man I REALLY want to play with other english speakers" like I did. >_>

The Walrus
Mar 7, 2013, 10:06 PM
To be honest if you move to ship 2 and play with a full party it really shouldn't take long at all to get back to the level you're at.

Jungo Torii
Mar 7, 2013, 10:09 PM
If I move to ship 2, I'd have to start at level 1, won't I? I'm not doing that.

If you find a good group of people on ship 2 who are willing to party with you (and trust me, there are plenty), you'll get back to 17 in no time.

If you really don't want to stay alone most of the time I would recommend following everyone's advice and making the move to ship 2.

Lostbob117
Mar 7, 2013, 10:09 PM
Break the crystal on it's tail and it will be stunned, then attack the nose once that breaks attack the spike on it's back.

wetro01
Mar 7, 2013, 10:13 PM
im on ship 3 i can help you out any time :)

Kondibon
Mar 7, 2013, 10:24 PM
Break the crystal on it's tail and it will be stunned, then attack the nose once that breaks attack the spike on it's back.
Oh right this.

Adding to it, the more armor he has the longer he's stunned when you break it so the best time to break it is when he's in his last form. If you don't think you can break it before he uses the fireball you can try starting when he's in the second one instead.

gigawuts
Mar 7, 2013, 10:33 PM
After stunning him, go for the spike on its back first if you want to break everything. Use rising edge. Lock the horn when he's downed. If you lose or can't get lock that way, jumping + tapping target lock from about 10-20 degrees to either side (from the front) will allow you to get a lock on it. Failing that as well, just estimate where you think it is and you'll probably come close.

gigawuts
Mar 7, 2013, 10:36 PM
Also yeah, echoing moving to more people. Either do it now, or experiment with things that you're unsure about liking and then move.

At level 17, no equiment you have is worth much. The sheer volume of players stomping around at higher levels makes sure that equipment is cheap and plentiful.

Plenty of people on ship 2 will be more than happy to help you get started again, many of them having done so themselves and being happy they did it after the fact. This is not the most fun game to play alone.

When you move, I advise making a new account if you haven't bought anything. Worst case scenario you just log back in to this account. You'd have a different player ID name, but your character could have the same name just fine.

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 10:41 PM
If I move to ship two, I'll probably won't play as often. I play this casually as it is. Took a lot of work for me to get this far. Anyway, I beat him. Got my 12K exp from Koffee.

The Walrus
Mar 7, 2013, 10:54 PM
Quartz isn't even really a threat so long as you quickly learn the tell for his laser rain.

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 11:06 PM
Anways, I can't make a character on ship 2 without paying 500AC.

AC消費コンテンツ
キャラクターを追加で作成するには、
「キャラクター作成権」が必要です。

・キャラクターは「シップ」単位で保存されます。

・作成したキャラクターでプレイするには、
 次回も同じシップにログインしてください。

500ACで「キャラクター作成権」を購入しますか?

所持AC:0
作成可能数:あと 11体 (全シップ合計12体まで)

That's what I get.

blace
Mar 7, 2013, 11:09 PM
Which is why people said restart on ship 2.

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 11:11 PM
If I start over, I may use other methods.

Coatl
Mar 7, 2013, 11:15 PM
Yes. You could make another account. Your problem with not having anyone to play with but JP players won't change no matter how much you level.

Might as well play in a server full of people you can communicate with, or make friends with, etc.

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 11:19 PM
Then I'll make another account. I got 17 hours logged into this one.

Kondibon
Mar 7, 2013, 11:26 PM
If I start over, I may use other methods.You could make a second account. That's what I did.

Coatl
Mar 7, 2013, 11:47 PM
Then I'll make another account. I got 17 hours logged into this one.

Most of us have 2k hours logged into PSO2. :p

The Walrus
Mar 7, 2013, 11:52 PM
And I thought the 850 I've accumulated was a lot :/

I'll never understand how you all put up with it.

Shinamori
Mar 7, 2013, 11:55 PM
EDIT: Nevermind.

Blackheart521
Mar 8, 2013, 01:06 AM
You could always pay 700AC to transfer over to ship 2... you'd keep your levels and all the items in your character's inventory, that's another option ^^;

MetalDude
Mar 8, 2013, 02:18 AM
It's sincerely not a big deal to start over if you find players to help you out. Our team managed to move several new players into Very Hard over the course of 1 to 2 weeks. In our case, we had a strong desire to build our own 12-man team member EQ group so it benefits the both of us to help out fresh recruits.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 8, 2013, 03:35 AM
Oh right this.

Adding to it, the more armor he has the longer he's stunned when you break it so the best time to break it is when he's in his last form. If you don't think you can break it before he uses the fireball you can try starting when he's in the second one instead.

doesn't use his fireball on normal anymore.

seriously, TC. just break the tail and pick him apart. he has some of the biggest tells in the game. once you learn those you'll be kicking yourself for havinig such a hard time with him.

I soloed him with my new Hu at lvl 14 with almost no mag and some cheap junk from the playershops.

I didn't put points in step advance and hadn't gotten just guard yet, so trust me, this is beyond doable.

EDIT:
Also you can get to lvl 20 in less than 8 hours. if you have people to help you it will go even faster. 1 Koffie CO can nearly bump you from 1 to 10. The guys on ship 2 are offering to help. If I were you, I'd take it.

Kondibon
Mar 8, 2013, 05:09 AM
EDIT:
Also you can get to lvl 20 in less than 8 hours. if you have people to help you it will go even faster. 1 Koffie CO can nearly bump you from 1 to 10. The guys on ship 2 are offering to help. If I were you, I'd take it.Not nearly. it DOES bump you from 1 to 10, It's actually really useful because the 15k exp doesn't get scaled by level so I've started turning Koffee's client orders on my other classes instead of my main one since they'd benefit more.

Shinamori
Mar 8, 2013, 08:36 AM
I saw the power of team work. I got to level 9 rather quickly. Did the free forest exploration. It was gravy. Someone named "Luna" randomly popped in (probably doing one of koffee's 10K orders) and tagged along (along with 2 NPCs characters). She(?) saved my butt because we had to fight not one, but TWO Rockbears. I'm guess another party was there, they killed the other one. When the Rockbear we were fighting was near death, it killed me. However, Lua had a Moon Atomizer. Revived me and we kicked it's butt:3 I'd about a good 5 or so hours in, I'm at level 12 and halfway to level 13.

reptile7383
Mar 8, 2013, 08:42 AM
My first Vol kill was pretty cheap. I was wondering around in free caves when one showed up. I hoped in a mounted turret and ripped him apart XD

Ce'Nedra
Mar 8, 2013, 09:49 AM
See, its good you started over on Ship 2. You would never have gotten this on your ship. If you try Block 20 you will find loads of English players, as well from PSO-World. I'm sure you will find some nice friends and even a Team to hang arround with.

Also the small bosses like Rockbear spawn based on number of party members.

1 player = 1 boss
2 players = 2 bosses
3 players = 2 bosses
4 players = 3 bosses

This applies to Rockbear, Catadran, Gwanadha (Desert), De Mammoth (Tundra), Transmizer (Mines), Catadran'sa (Skyland) and Wolgandha (Ruins). Ofcourse you can still fight 1 boss no matter how many people are in your party if the party leader enters the boss room alone.

Oh if you really want to level fast, try find a Party when Dark Falz spawns, the many arm battles give a good chunk of EXP.

Shinamori
Mar 8, 2013, 03:29 PM
I tried that Dark Flaz event. I got hand smashed to death. I was only level 14 I think though. I probably have near 15+ hours because from 8:00am to like 3PM I was watching my niece.

TheDeFiler
Mar 8, 2013, 03:58 PM

to add to that make sure you have a NPC party so they keep it distracted most of the time. I beat him at 18 with my hunter and once you get the pattern down he's really easy.

UnLucky
Mar 8, 2013, 04:52 PM
Also yeah, echoing moving to more people. Either do it now, or experiment with things that you're unsure about liking and then move.

When you move, I advise making a new account if you haven't bought anything. Worst case scenario you just log back in to this account. You'd have a different player ID name, but your character could have the same name just fine.

yeah you can always use your other account as a testing ground for whatever you're unsure of, as mistakes will cost real money to fix

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 8, 2013, 05:38 PM
to add to that make sure you have a NPC party so they keep it distracted most of the time. I beat him at 18 with my hunter and once you get the pattern down he's really easy.

This doesn't work at all if you do half way decent damage

UnLucky
Mar 8, 2013, 06:04 PM
anyone compare numbers? feels like NPCs do less than 25% the amount the actual player would, and then they play real bad and die real fast

Sizustar
Mar 8, 2013, 06:43 PM
anyone compare numbers? feels like NPCs do less than 25% the amount the actual player would, and then they play real bad and die real fast

NPC are about 20% of the "real" player stat.
But they count as 2/3 of a real person, except Boss.
So if you can't get a full party, it's still better to take NPC to ensure more enemy spawn.

Shinamori
Mar 8, 2013, 07:51 PM
See, its good you started over on Ship 2. You would never have gotten this on your ship. If you try Block 20 you will find loads of English players, as well from PSO-World. I'm sure you will find some nice friends and even a Team to hang arround with.

Also the small bosses like Rockbear spawn based on number of party members.

1 player = 1 boss
2 players = 2 bosses
3 players = 2 bosses
4 players = 3 bosses

This applies to Rockbear, Catadran, Gwanadha (Desert), De Mammoth (Tundra), Transmizer (Mines), Catadran'sa (Skyland) and Wolgandha (Ruins). Ofcourse you can still fight 1 boss no matter how many people are in your party if the party leader enters the boss room alone.

Oh if you really want to level fast, try find a Party when Dark Falz spawns, the many arm battles give a good chunk of EXP.

Block20 ~ Forever Full ~.
If anyone wants to join me for a Vol Dragon Run, I'm on block 1. Quest name is "Vol Dragon Run".

Syklo
Mar 8, 2013, 08:45 PM
Still re-useable decoys :3

(Self-ressurrection after what, 2 minutes?)

schnee4
Mar 9, 2013, 01:42 PM
Break his tail when he's in his full armor form.
Break his horns when he tries to recover from broken tail.
Use Risng Edge for Sword or Slide End for Partizan.

And if you're in a party. Tell the FO to stop freezing his legs. All it does is make his horns inaccesible. DPS is better if they just sabarta. The whole point is to have him stagger and reset his tail recovery by breaking his horns one by one before he finishes. Otherwise he's just running all over the map and the only person DPS ing is the one with hate.

Its the same situation with banthers and banshees

Renette
Mar 9, 2013, 02:30 PM
I grinded myself to Level 20 to ready myself for him. It takes a while, but it helps to read his animations. It gives you a clue as to what he's going to do next. Once you got that down packed, he's really easy to predict.

Zenobia
Mar 9, 2013, 02:38 PM

Also to add to this if you somehow do manage to break it's nose horn and cannot break the back horn in time you can use rising slash to hit his horn when it has recovered from its tail break stun.

If that becomes to tedious for you, you can opt for the kill after if you're satisfied with breaking just his nose horn.

Renvalt
Mar 9, 2013, 02:38 PM
Block20 ~ Forever Full ~.
If anyone wants to join me for a Vol Dragon Run, I'm on block 1. Quest name is "Vol Dragon Run".

Shinamori, I dunno if you know this, but Vol Dragon was originally harder.

If you saw his attack where he throws his claw on the ground and summons a pillar of fire, then you probably know that he can do that twice in full golden. In the harder difficulties, he'll use a super-powered version of this, which I've come to term "Hellfire Storm" - he basically does constant slamming of the ground and says "Kore de owari da!" after which flame pillars will start popping up all over the place, making it really painstakingly difficult for you to get hits in if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, if he buries underground after being in full gold for a while, the next attack that comes out will be your death if you don't know how to deal with it. He flies into the air, and then after he gets high enough, he'll start charging a huge ass fireball that he'll throw - and if it connects, you're dead. No questions asked.

With the recent nerfs to Vol Dragon, he no longer uses this in Normal and Hard difficulties, however, starting with Very Hard, it'll become a regular occurrence, so keep note of it.

---------------------------

Now you may be asking: Why tell me this if I'm not going to see it until I'm high level?

The answer is simple: before the nerf, he used to use those skills on ANY difficulty. Meaning that even lowbies got trolled hard by his attacks.

So you should count yourself lucky you didn't have to face him before SEGA sedated him - he was a monster back then. He made PSO1's Dragon look like a newborn puppy compared to him (dodges incoming barrage from nostalgia whores).

But yeah, be thankful he's not at the form he was when most of us Day 1 shmucks had to fight him.

Oh yes, to add to what Nedra said: in the case of some bigger bosses that don't get twins upon more than one human player entering the fight simultaneously, they make up for it by spawning annoying adds (AKA extra field monsters if you didn't know what that means).

Why is this important? Because for some of those bigger guys, those adds can REALLY make the fight annoying.

The only boss I'm aware of that doesn't do this is Big Vardha, although for that boss that makes sense, since his entire frame has its own set of adds (not to mention he's deadly enough as it is).

Vol Dragon gets Diggs (those little dragondogs), Banthers get Gulfurs, Quartz gets Bardirans (basically Dragon-based Za Oodan), and I'm not quite sure about Zeshrayda or Wohlgahda.

Zenobia
Mar 9, 2013, 03:10 PM
Shinamori, I dunno if you know this, but Vol Dragon was originally harder.

If you saw his attack where he throws his claw on the ground and summons a pillar of fire, then you probably know that he can do that twice in full golden. In the harder difficulties, he'll use a super-powered version of this, which I've come to term "Hellfire Storm" - he basically does constant slamming of the ground and says "Kore de owari da!" after which flame pillars will start popping up all over the place, making it really painstakingly difficult for you to get hits in if you don't know what you're doing.

Also, if he buries underground after being in full gold for a while, the next attack that comes out will be your death if you don't know how to deal with it. He flies into the air, and then after he gets high enough, he'll start charging a huge ass fireball that he'll throw - and if it connects, you're dead. No questions asked.

With the recent nerfs to Vol Dragon, he no longer uses this in Normal and Hard difficulties, however, starting with Very Hard, it'll become a regular occurrence, so keep note of it.

---------------------------

Now you may be asking: Why tell me this if I'm not going to see it until I'm high level?

The answer is simple: before the nerf, he used to use those skills on ANY difficulty. Meaning that even lowbies got trolled hard by his attacks.

So you should count yourself lucky you didn't have to face him before SEGA sedated him - he was a monster back then. He made PSO1's Dragon look like a newborn puppy compared to him (dodges incoming barrage from nostalgia whores).

But yeah, be thankful he's not at the form he was when most of us Day 1 shmucks had to fight him.

Oh yes, to add to what Nedra said: in the case of some bigger bosses that don't get twins upon more than one human player entering the fight simultaneously, they make up for it by spawning annoying adds (AKA extra field monsters if you didn't know what that means).

Why is this important? Because for some of those bigger guys, those adds can REALLY make the fight annoying.

The only boss I'm aware of that doesn't do this is Big Vardha, although for that boss that makes sense, since his entire frame has its own set of adds (not to mention he's deadly enough as it is).

Vol Dragon gets Diggs (those little dragondogs), Banthers get Gulfurs, Quartz gets Bardirans (basically Dragon-based Za Oodan), and I'm not quite sure about Zeshrayda or Wohlgahda.

Zeshy= Daagasshu

Wolgah=Mikuda

holmwood
Mar 9, 2013, 03:19 PM
Well, I don't know about you guys, but gunslash shooting from a distance always worked out for me when I didn't have the equips nor techs/pas to deal with a boss. Vol is no exception.

Autotarget on tail, hold d button, spam mouse button. ROFL

gigawuts
Mar 9, 2013, 03:45 PM
Well, I don't know about you guys, but gunslash shooting from a distance always worked out for me when I didn't have the equips nor techs/pas to deal with a boss. Vol is no exception.

Autotarget on tail, hold d button, spam mouse button. ROFL

This is great advice if you have nowhere to go for 6 hours. A++ would suggest again.

The Walrus
Mar 9, 2013, 04:07 PM
Aw come it wouldn't take that long if you spam Aiming Shot too. Aiming Shot is so hilariously op.

Coatl
Mar 9, 2013, 04:22 PM
This is great advice if you have nowhere to go for 6 hours.

Not to mention a punk move. :I
Don't be a wimp! If you die you can at least say you died bravely.

Arrow
Mar 9, 2013, 04:53 PM
Aw come it wouldn't take that long if you spam Aiming Shot too. Aiming Shot is so hilariously op.

can't remember exactly, but it took me about 20-30 minutes (still managed to clear koffies time trial CO) using GS.

P.S. I ran like my rear was on fire through the field portion to get to him in under 5-10 mins...which it was quite literally cause I took a shortcut through some lava...

The Walrus
Mar 9, 2013, 05:05 PM
Good lord 20-30 minutes...

Renvalt
Mar 9, 2013, 10:38 PM
can't remember exactly, but it took me about 20-30 minutes (still managed to clear koffies time trial CO) using GS.

P.S. I ran like my rear was on fire through the field portion to get to him in under 5-10 mins...which it was quite literally cause I took a shortcut through some lava...

You do realize you can minimize the damage of walking on water by hopping across it, right? It only starts ticking once you spend more than a second in the lava - hopping across takes you only half a second or so if you don't drop momentum. You also need to do it fast - simply jumping will not grant you what you seek.

Leap dem legs like a Su-Wa-Ko girl~ (I just realized I made a terrible attempt at a 50-cent Rapper's Touhou joke. Ah, what the hell).

EDIT: Fixed a goddamned misplaced word. Curse me completely, oh ye Literati bastards.

Syklo
Mar 9, 2013, 11:31 PM
You do realize you can minimize the damage of walking on water by hopping across it, right? It only starts ticking once you spend more than a second in the water - hopping across takes you only half a second or so if you don't drop momentum. You also need to do it fast - simply jumping will not grant you what you seek.

Leap dem legs like a Su-Wa-Ko girl~ (I just realized I made a terrible attempt at a 50-cent Rapper's Touhou joke. Ah, what the hell).

Water in amduscia?
hmmmmmm

Renvalt
Mar 10, 2013, 12:55 AM
Water in amduscia?
hmmmmmm

You missed the joke. I was referencing Suwako Moriya. Think on the reference for a while, and if you still don't get it, then I'll clarify the joke's meaning.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just realized my error! Oh C-A-RAP!

Maninbluejumpsuit
Mar 11, 2013, 06:17 AM

I wondered why he didn't do it anymore.