PDA

View Full Version : Real talk is the voice acting in this better or worse than Ethan?

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 01:34 PM
I want to see if there is rampant Japanophilia here.

Because while he is not Quinton Flynn or Nolan North, the Japanese voice acting in this game is terrible....

~Aya~
Mar 9, 2013, 01:36 PM
Um.. some of it is.. but it has a major anime influence behind it.. so waaaay over exaggerated VA ftw...

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 01:37 PM
Um.. some of it is.. but it has a major anime influence behind it.. so waaaay over exaggerated VA ftw...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQdxGe0sqU
Now that is well done VA.

gigawuts
Mar 9, 2013, 01:39 PM
The voice acting in PSO2 is better than PSU's, yes, but only in the sense that antarctica is warmer than pluto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQdxGe0sqU
Now that is well done VA.

Stop linking me to videos that are exactly what I want katanas to be in PSO2, and exactly what they'll never be :[

~Aya~
Mar 9, 2013, 01:45 PM
The voice acting in PSO2 is better than PSU's, yes, but only in the sense that antarctica is warmer than pluto.

Stop linking me to videos that are exactly what I want katanas to be in PSO2, and exactly what they'll never be :[

We need an Gigawuts forum post appreciation thread. I love just about every post made by him

●I mute the game● there.. almost forgot to take the poll.

God of Awesome
Mar 9, 2013, 01:59 PM
Bad foreign language VAs will never sound as bad as bad English VAs. Why? I don't fully understand the other languages or how the words are supposed to be said and because of that it's hard to tell if it sounds off or phoned in etc. etc. While in English it's pretty apparent since I've been brought up with that language. It's a bit harder to explain than this, but it's the gist of it. I don't think I've ever heard anything worse than a terrible North American accent *shivers* horrible stuff.

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2013, 02:02 PM
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t342/GenerationMichaeru/icon9_zps62e0597d.gif

Bad EN voice acting > bad JP voice acting

Zyrusticae
Mar 9, 2013, 02:03 PM
Why isn't there a vote for "neither"?

I don't feel the VA was bad for Ethan just as much as I don't feel the VA is bad in this game.

Though I am pretty much acclimated to exaggerated anime-style voice work anyways, which probably has everything to do with that. Actually, I enjoy characters like Patty and Huey who exist exclusively so we can laugh at how overly (stupidly) exuberant they are. Huey in particular is so crazy over-the-top that it's impossible for me to not laugh at him every time he talks.

Also, I tend to differentiate between bad writing (which is the case for a LOT of stuff these days), bad voice acting (which is a lack of ability/poor execution, which is rarely the case I find), and bad direction (if they emote in an unnecessarily exaggerated fashion, it's usually because of this).

Shirai
Mar 9, 2013, 02:11 PM
These japanese VAs are and probably will be better than the english VAs if it ever comes.

I actually like the voices they chose, even though many of them are popular VAs

Punisher106
Mar 9, 2013, 02:29 PM
Afin sounds so freaking weird. Seriously. He kind of sounds like Xeno on helium.

Resanoca
Mar 9, 2013, 02:36 PM
Afin sounds so freaking weird. Seriously. He kind of sounds like Oza on helium.Fixed since they share the same voice. o:

Zeota
Mar 9, 2013, 03:29 PM
Japanese Ethan (Seki Tomokazu) wasn't bad at all. His English VA sounded like he was on his death bed. Too bad the story was kinda flat for having such an all-star voice cast.

Lighthero
Mar 9, 2013, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure what you call "good" voice acting in this case. In my opinion, it's actually pretty good. The voice and personality fits the characters pretty well. Also, the emotions are well-done. I don't see the problem in this.

OP, you should seirously hear some bad dubbed stuff that actually got to sell (games and anime. It's earkilling when English VA's try to imitate Japanese and such) to know what's actually bad voice acting.

Seraphus
Mar 9, 2013, 03:40 PM

Because while he is not Quinton Flynn or Nolan North, the Japanese voice acting in this game is terrible....

I'm not sure what you're comparing here either. Are you really trying to compare one voice in a game to the entire cast of PSO2?

Punisher106
Mar 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
Fixed since they share the same voice. o:

Yeah, you're right. Xeno was the first one to pop up in my head because of the whole "Yo" greeting.

エミーゼル
Mar 9, 2013, 03:41 PM
The Japanese voice acting in this game is indeed atrocious, aside from a VERY select few NPCs with minimal acting lines.

The bulk of the VA is awful.

people who think Ethan is worse probably just think words they don't understand sound cool, and aren't paying attention to the comical over exaggeration and stupidity in every VA line of PSO2.

Ethan's English VA was much better than 99% of JP PSO2 VA fact.

Gardios
Mar 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
Kakihara is in this game which makes it automatically superior.

P.S.: I'm not a blind Kakihara fanboy I swear

Requiem Aeternam
Mar 9, 2013, 03:53 PM
I don't mind the voice acting in this game. Most of the time I just skip cut-scenes cause I want to get back to the gameplay so I rarely hear it anyway. I've definitely heard worse voice-acting but I've heard far better too. I actually find the actions the characters use in cutscenes far more annoying, but that's just my opinion.

Seraphus
Mar 9, 2013, 03:56 PM
The Japanese voice acting in this game is indeed atrocious, aside from a VERY select few NPCs with minimal acting lines.

That doesn't make it 99% then right? Unless there are over 100 NPC's.

btw, who is Ethan? Topic title also makes my brain melt.

~Aya~
Mar 9, 2013, 03:57 PM
I just turn bgm down.. voices all the way up, invite Lisa to the party and turn up Slayer.

Blackheart521
Mar 9, 2013, 04:00 PM

btw, who is Ethan? Topic title also makes my brain melt.

Ethan Waber is the main Protagonist for Phantasy Star Universe ^^;

gigawuts
Mar 9, 2013, 04:01 PM

The bulk of the VA is awful.

people who think Ethan is worse probably just think words they don't understand sound cool, and aren't paying attention to the comical over exaggeration and stupidity in every VA line of PSO2.

Hmmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Something about this guy seems familiar...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is it the name? Nope that's japanese, nobody would be able to tell what that means...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gardios
Mar 9, 2013, 04:01 PM

60+ character voices plus 40+ characters, so that coincidentally works out.

Not that I'd agree with the number of 99%, but you know, those numbers happen if you live in the kingdom of hyperbole.

Punisher106
Mar 9, 2013, 04:06 PM
Ethan Waber is the main Protagonist for Phantasy Star Universe ^^;

AKA person-who-makes-your-character-feel-like-the-third-wheel. Then again, don't all the Gurhal PS games make your character feel like the third wheel?

Blackheart521
Mar 9, 2013, 04:07 PM
AKA person-who-makes-your-character-feel-like-the-third-wheel. Then again, don't all the Gurhal PS games make your character feel like the third wheel?

And PSO2 as well ^^;

~Aya~
Mar 9, 2013, 04:07 PM
Hmmmmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Something about this guy seems familiar...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is it the name? Nope that's japanese, nobody would be able to tell what that means...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Shhh... you might disturb him....

Punisher106
Mar 9, 2013, 04:19 PM
And PSO2 as well ^^;

Well there's Matoi, who gives me STRONG Vivienne vibes, and include that The dragonkin and lillipans only entrust you with the weapon pieces, and Persona has an obsession with killing you.

Swaggerjak
Mar 9, 2013, 04:35 PM
I'll be honest, I enjoyed the voice acting in PSU.

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 05:38 PM
Bad foreign language VAs will never sound as bad as bad English VAs. Why? I don't fully understand the other languages or how the words are supposed to be said and because of that it's hard to tell if it sounds off or phoned in etc. etc. While in English it's pretty apparent since I've been brought up with that language. It's a bit harder to explain than this, but it's the gist of it. I don't think I've ever heard anything worse than a terrible North American accent *shivers* horrible stuff.
When something is far to stereotypical and rather irritating I think one can say it's terrible regardless of familiarity .

Zipzo
Mar 9, 2013, 05:47 PM

Because while he is not Quinton Flynn or Nolan North, the Japanese voice acting in this game is terrible....False.

The VAing is decent. If you don't understand japanese I can't imagine how you'd have such a strong opinion, and if you knew the filmographies of some of them (Afin for example), you'd probably have a little more respect.

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 05:55 PM
If their acting is poor and it's so stereotypical moe blarney they get no respect. Hell if they can do better and they give me this they get LESSbecause they can do better. Nothing burns like when somebody can full well do better and they don't.

Zipzo
Mar 9, 2013, 06:01 PM
If their acting is poor and it's so stereotypical moe blarney they get no respect. Hell if they can do better and they give me this they get LESSbecause they can do better. Nothing burns like when somebody can full well do better and they don't.
And then comes the realization that what you think...is an opinion. And while you are fully entitled to it...it is not what everyone else thinks.

That set in yet? Are you aware that not everyone shares your opinion? Does that burn too?

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 06:03 PM
Well this topic is asking what opinions people have.
Mine is it's terrible. Just like some thought Ethan was terrible.

Sayara
Mar 9, 2013, 06:03 PM
Look I don't care about your opinion any an- game that use Hiroshi Kamiya is a good staff already.

エミーゼル
Mar 9, 2013, 06:04 PM
Are you aware that not everyone shares your opinion? Does that burn too?

most people do. I like PSOW but it's a little fanboyish, it's not surprising they would defend bad parts of the game.

it seems like most of the voice actors in PSO2 are putting in a halfassed effort. like they don't care very much. some of them are exaggerating in areas that don't need exaggerating, in ways that aren't funny. kinda like they picked up those voice actors off the street.

yes there are some popular/talented VAs involved but those people either have few lines or sound like they don't give a crap.

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 06:07 PM
most people do. I like PSOW but it's a little fanboyish, it's not surprising they would defend bad parts of the game.
Well fan is rooted in Fanatic and fanaticism was never good.

Well atleast there is some discussion here, which is exactly what I wanted.

Zipzo
Mar 9, 2013, 06:08 PM

Most, huh? I'd like to see the no doubt damning amount of evidence you have to back up that claim.

Also...I think you're incorrect. Despite this being a PSO website, there is a staggering amount of honest criticism from most of the people who post here, in the direction of both the Japanese release, and the incoming english language version. Look around, it's not difficult to find. Though seeing as how you're a bit green here I guess it's understandable your perception of what PSO-World really is would be way the hell off. This place is hardly fan-boyish.

Plenty of the regulars here share their piece of mind on PSO/PSO2, bad and good. If you don't know that you haven't been here long enough.

エミーゼル
Mar 9, 2013, 06:10 PM
Most, huh? I'd like to see the no doubt damning amount of evidence you have to back up that claim.

Also...I think you're incorrect. Despite this being a PSO website, there is a staggering amount of honest criticism from most of the people who post here, in the direction of both the Japanese release, and the incoming english language version. Look around, it's not difficult to find. Though seeing as how you're a bit green here I guess it's understandable your perception of what PSO-World really is would be way the hell off. This place is hardly fan-boyish.

Plenty of the regulars here share their piece of mind on PSO/PSO2, bad and good. If you don't know that you haven't been here long enough.

yeah... most. if you ask any player ingame japanese or otherwise about PSO2's voice acting, they likely wont have good things to say about it.

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 06:12 PM
I'd say it was not fanboyish. But how people swore up and down Sega JP for years is a bit fanboyish.

I see too little constructive criticism here.

Zipzo
Mar 9, 2013, 06:15 PM
yeah... most. if you ask any player ingame japanese or otherwise about PSO2's voice acting, they likely wont have good things to say about it.

I tabbed in, asked the first person that was near me if they thought the voice acting in the game was anything to complain about, and not one, but 3 people answered saying that they like them/1 saying they don't mind it.

Took me 3 seconds to prove you wrong.

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 06:17 PM
Never use things grabbed from anecdotes alone to prove any point.
Hard to tell if people do or do not like it without some good data.

Zipzo
Mar 9, 2013, 06:24 PM
Never use things grabbed from anecdotes alone to prove any point.
Hard to tell if people do or do not like it without some good data.This is sort of the silent point I'm trying to make...thank you.

In any case...I don't find the VA to be "terrible". I find to it be acceptable for a video game where voice acting is of very little influence overall to the main experience of the game (playing with friends). Even in the case of the story...I find the exaggerative nature of the voices to be quite fitting because of its anime style. That's just how anime is. This is coming from someone who can speak Japanese.

EvilMag
Mar 9, 2013, 06:27 PM
I dare someone to mention Norio Wakamoto in a JP populated block.

gigawuts
Mar 9, 2013, 06:27 PM
I honestly think the game would have been better off with no VA's at all.

I'm imagining PSO1 with VA's and I am cringing so hard my bones are grinding themselves into dust.

Bad dialogue can get a pass, but bad dialogue with bad VA's? oh my god no

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 06:28 PM
Should be be acceptable for it to be this nutty? That is the question. And the moeness of current Anime has put me ff so I watch much less. They can grow not dig deeper in the old tropes.

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 9, 2013, 06:28 PM
Aki has best laugh ever therefore JP is best ever

Zipzo
Mar 9, 2013, 06:31 PM
Should be be acceptable for it to be this nutty? That is the question. And the moeness of current Anime has put me ff so I watch much less. They can grow not dig deeper in the old tropes.

I think you're just watching all the wrong anime for you.

Personally, I don't mind a moe anime here and there (very picky with them however since they are a dime a dozen), but there are plenty of darker, mature, bitter themed animes out there with very little "moe" in them.

Moe certainly seems to be the trope, because it's a popular outline for many popular animes, but it's not all there is.

supersonix9
Mar 9, 2013, 06:32 PM
none of it is really bad enough for anyone to care about it

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 06:38 PM
Amen
Truth

Gardios
Mar 9, 2013, 06:52 PM
I dunno. Chaos Wars wouldn't have been such a great localization if it wasn't for the voice acting.

gigawuts
Mar 9, 2013, 06:54 PM
Chaos Wars wouldn't have been such a great localization if it wasn't for the voice acting, though.

Did it have bad dialogue and bad voice acting?

If yes and yes, I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Was it "so bad it's good" good, or...?

Gardios
Mar 9, 2013, 07:18 PM
So bad it's good.
[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
(the dialogue barely makes more sense in context)[/SPOILER-BOX]
You still have to wonder why they opted to voice the game at all.

The Walrus
Mar 9, 2013, 07:21 PM
I thought it was cause they had to have an english voice track if they wanted to include the jp track.

gigawuts
Mar 9, 2013, 07:25 PM
So bad it's good.
[SPOILER-BOX]So bad it's good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg)

oh my god lol

Okay, if PSO2 launches with this exact caliber of voice acting it will be phenomenal.

Zyrusticae
Mar 9, 2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, sorry, I don't know what yer all talking about.

The few characters that are over-the-top are meant to be over-the-top (Patty, Huey, and Gettemhart particularly). Everyone else sounds fairly normal, as much as sci-fi super-soldiers, space elves, action scientists and robots can sound "normal". I certainly have not heard anything that's outright cringe-inducing thus far (which is actually a surprise, considering how easy it is to produce something that grates on the ears).

BAD voice acting would be poor delivery (as in you can tell they're reading off a script), which is the only instance that I can actually say with certainty is "bad acting". Everything else is a variation of "bad script" or "bad direction", and I haven't seen much of either in this game (though the story missions tend to get a little too close to the former, particularly when they're trying to do drama, which they just don't do very well - the cheesy music doesn't help).

I really have to wonder what you're using as a benchmark for "GOOD voice acting", if such a thing even exists in your universe.

gigawuts
Mar 9, 2013, 07:31 PM
There he is.

ShinMaruku
Mar 9, 2013, 07:33 PM
So bad it's good.
I forgot that game. XD

Gardios
Mar 9, 2013, 07:34 PM
Going back to PSO2, I don't think it's bad at all... but it's not really impressive either. I really hate Afin's character and voice over as well as several of the player character voices, but that's it.

But, like I said, there are also voice actors like Kakihara. So I'm biased. Probably.

I thought it was cause they had to have an english voice track if they wanted to include the jp track.
There are games voiced in Japanese only though, so it can't be that.

Resanoca
Mar 9, 2013, 07:46 PM
So bad it's good.
Didn't they skimp out on paying and just used family members to voice everyone? xD

~Aya~
Mar 9, 2013, 07:47 PM
So bad it's good.

I just... what..? That must be abringed.. there is no way.. I refuse to believe that anyone can VA that badly..................................

Gardios
Mar 9, 2013, 07:50 PM
Didn't they skimp out on paying and just used family members to voice everyone? xD

I believe so. You can combine bad dialogue with bad voice acting without your family though... (http://tinyurl.com/bcvhp7w)

Gah, now I'm watching videos with bad voice acting. :(

Zyrusticae
Mar 9, 2013, 08:01 PM
I believe so. You can combine bad dialogue with bad voice acting without your family though... (http://tinyurl.com/bcvhp7w)

Gah, now I'm watching videos with bad voice acting. :(
Good god, seriously! There's no way in hell I can seriously say PSO2's VA is bad when stuff like THIS exists. :-o

yoshiblue
Mar 9, 2013, 08:03 PM
Well...

Nothing can top those. I have at least some faith that Sega would pick decent ones if NA gets NA voice actors.

Zipzo
Mar 9, 2013, 10:06 PM
Yeah, sorry, I don't know what yer all talking about.

The few characters that are over-the-top are meant to be over-the-top (Patty, Huey, and Gettemhart particularly). Everyone else sounds fairly normal, as much as sci-fi super-soldiers, space elves, action scientists and robots can sound "normal". I certainly have not heard anything that's outright cringe-inducing thus far (which is actually a surprise, considering how easy it is to produce something that grates on the ears).

BAD voice acting would be poor delivery (as in you can tell they're reading off a script), which is the only instance that I can actually say with certainty is "bad acting". Everything else is a variation of "bad script" or "bad direction", and I haven't seen much of either in this game (though the story missions tend to get a little too close to the former, particularly when they're trying to do drama, which they just don't do very well - the cheesy music doesn't help).

I really have to wonder what you're using as a benchmark for "GOOD voice acting", if such a thing even exists in your universe.This.

Me-Mow
Mar 9, 2013, 10:32 PM
I like threads like these. Getting peoples opinions on things is very insightful. That being said the va is forgettable for me expect for lisa.... I loooove lisa's voice so much, hee-hee.