PDA

View Full Version : QQ Messenger

redroses
Mar 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
I hope it is ok to post this here, but I thought more might find this useful!

As many of you know, MSN is closing down soon, and as skype isn't the best alternative, I found one that is!

The QQ International Messenger. It works and looks pretty much like MSN and has basically all its features. You can sign in to the QQ messenger with any e-mail address. So, if you want to check it out, here is the link:
http://www.imqq.com/

TenebriS
Mar 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
Tried it out, it's really great!

Makes me think of a mix of ICQ and MSN and I really love it. If you anybody here liked MSN and wants to stay with something similiar. thats a great thing! :D

Ce'Nedra
Mar 10, 2013, 03:56 PM
Is there a way to import my contacts from MSN? I just got it but the list is empty.

TenebriS
Mar 10, 2013, 03:58 PM
Is there a way to import my contacts from MSN? I just got it but the list is empty.

sadly not, you can only add people using the messenger :x

EvilMag
Mar 10, 2013, 04:51 PM
Eh I'll just stick to Skype.

Eman2417
Mar 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
What's wrong with skype?

Ce'Nedra
Mar 10, 2013, 05:54 PM
sadly not, you can only add people using the messenger :x

So I need to add my whole list again? Guess that makes for a nice cleanup and not add people I never talk to or forgot who they are.

TenebriS
Mar 10, 2013, 06:16 PM
What's wrong with skype?

Some people jsut dont like it;
>no custom emotes
>no picture preview
>no custom font

So I need to add my whole list again? Guess that makes for a nice cleanup and not add people I never talk to or forgot who they are.

Yeah thats how you can take it^^ Thing is you ahve to tell ya friends to get it so you can add them. Can't add MSN contacts.

You can use your msn-mail for it, and log in with it, and search friends with it tho if you sign up with it! :3

Ce'Nedra
Mar 11, 2013, 03:16 AM
Welp I doubt anyone I know will get it =/ Guess I will run it along with Skype or something.

If you wanna add me Tene, I'm using the same mail as on msn.

EvilMag
Mar 11, 2013, 03:31 AM
We need to chat more Nedra dude. D:

Ce'Nedra
Mar 11, 2013, 04:43 AM
Heh yeah and play more as well.

redroses
Mar 11, 2013, 05:29 AM
What's wrong with skype?

While skype is really great for video chats, it's horrible when it comes to IM. And lacks many features and organisation that comes with IMing. So you prefer to IM over video chat, skype isn't the best programm to use for that.
Especially if you were used to MSN and had features like custom emotes, different fonst and font color, offline messages, clean and simple IM window, showing pictures in the chat window without having to send a file to your chat partner etc.

Here is also a blog that explains/shows a lot of features of the QQ messenger:
http://blog.imqq.com/

Like said, if you prefer IM over video chat, skype really isn't an option, and I HIGHLY recommend the QQ messenger. Just give it a try!

Ce'Nedra
Mar 11, 2013, 06:04 AM
Here is hoping M$ will improve the IM for skype when they merge it...I haven't done it yet, I will remain on MSN and Hotmail till the very last day >:

I think most people will still move on to Skype though. But this is a nice alternative. I will try spread the word on MSN with they people I talk alot with.

redroses
Mar 11, 2013, 06:44 AM
It would be great if more people tried out the QQ messenger, it only takes 2 mins to sign up. And sometimes the merge with skype doesn't work all to well, sometimes the merge of the skype and MSN contacts doesn't work out.

I think Skype wouldn't be so bad if it was actually a merge, as in, best features of skype and MSN merged into a new skype messenger. Especially to ease the forced transition from MSN to skype. But like this, I just find the whole thing quite frustrating. And I will be one of the people who won't try skype out, because it's just not really meant to be an IM (which is fine, but not if you are forced to switch to it from an IM).

Eman2417
Mar 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
Font? Custom emotes? Pictures? I'm confused how any of this could hinder what skype has to offer.
I mean for pictures you could just send a link instead of sending the actual photo.
I guess I'll try this but everyone is on skype so it seems like a lost cause.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
Never tries to hurt and I can see redroses reasons as well. Personally I don't really care for custom finds and such but still it's good to have more alternatives then Skype. AIM is also a alternative but mainly only Americans use it funny enough and I personally forget I even have it half the time.

redroses
Mar 11, 2013, 02:41 PM
Like I said, the things I listed are all things people used for years in MSN. Of course you will miss those when switching to a different messenger, especially if that messenger is more focused on video chat.

Also, keep in mind, this thread wasn't made to get skype users to stop using skype, but for MSN users that don't want to switch to skype because it doesn't offer what they need or they don't even need it.
I know lots of people use skype, but I also know a lot of people that don't use it but use MSN. In my case I have a lot contacts that don't have skype at all (me included).

And just a reminder, this thread was only made so that people that are in the same boat as me, and don't want to use skype when the time comes have a really great alternative in the QQ messenger.

Noblewine
Mar 11, 2013, 05:10 PM
I heard about it and I'm sticking with skype. MSN was okay and pretty useful but I'm sad I'm losing the contacts that I want to keep in touch with. =/
What's the deal with this change anyways.