PDA

View Full Version : Soloing AQ's

layn2321
Mar 13, 2013, 02:38 AM
So I've played for a couple months now, mostly pretty casual though with a friend, and he recently decided to stop. I know that a lot of this game seems to be built with multi-player in mind, but I tend to keep to myself and I'm hoping to be able to solo the AQ's and, if possible, get enough capsules each time to sustain myself (at least for a few risk).

So I'm wondering whether anyone has much experience solo'ing the ones we have so far. I know a lot of people hate it when balance is brought up, but which class(es) tend to perform the best doing this sort of thing solo? I imagine all the classes can do it, but if some are able to do it more safely at higher risk, or perhaps quicker to get more capsules, it would be nice to consider it. Also, I assume I would want to be at least level 51-52 so I don't get diminished experience, but is it unwise to do it before 55/55 since I'll be solo?

Also, if there are any particular things that gave anyone trouble, or other things that might be worth considering but aren't immediately apparent, that would be much appreciated as well. And if there is already a thread like this, I apolgoize for wasting people's time, but I couldn't seem to find another thread asking. Thank you in advance for any advice, suggestions, or opinions! :-)

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 13, 2013, 02:39 AM
don't solo AQs. takes too long and just isn't worth the payoff

Shadowth117
Yeah, main thing is that bursts will suck this way and drop rates just feel lower on average. You also clearly won't get the extra enemies in the boss room because you're alone there. I've done it numerous times and its not hard, but I really wouldn't say its worthwhile unfortunately.

Sizustar
The drop rate of the capsule isn't that sustainable if you solo, and the drop will decrease alot.

Xaeris
Mar 13, 2013, 02:41 AM
I agree that while it's doable, it's really not worthwhile.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 13, 2013, 02:42 AM
What ship are you on?

layn2321
Mar 13, 2013, 02:46 AM
What ship are you on?

I'm on ship 2, I understood it to be the one majority of the english players are on. It's unfortunate to hear how much worse it is solo, I've enjoyed most of the content in smaller numbers more than larger groups. Maybe that's just me being odd, I know it's an MMO and I certainly understand why it focuses on group play, but (particularly as melee fighter/hunter) playing in groups has been much less exciting to me, unless it's a small group.

It could be very different in AQ's, I expect things certainly live a lot longer and there are many more enemies, so I don't mean to judge before trying, I've just been largely turned off to larger groups from the way it's been while leveling (for my own personal tastes, of course, nothing at all against those that enjoy it)

Poubelle
Mar 13, 2013, 02:49 AM
soloing isn't worth it. Stuff doesn't live that long in AQ, but it's better than VH MPAs where, as a melee, you were liking not even getting to hit anything.

Rakurai
Mar 13, 2013, 02:53 AM
I've been able to get enough advance capsules to sustain myself for four cycles of the current three quests solo, and have enough to start a fifth.

I do have issues finishing the forest and desert quests before time runs out, though.

I would do them with a group, but getting one seems impossible, moreso since I'm not playing on a ship with an english community.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 13, 2013, 03:11 AM
most people on these forums are on ship 2. hit up player matchup and make some friends, sir.

Zenobia
Mar 13, 2013, 03:21 AM
You can bring npcs or your friends partners cards with you in AQ's

You will get the same amount of enemies as per say if you had real full party.

All in all though still don't do this as real players are better than the AI ones.

layn2321
Mar 13, 2013, 03:45 AM
most people on these forums are on ship 2. hit up player matchup and make some friends, sir.

It's not that I can't find people to play with, it's just that I don't really enjoy the game very much in larger groups. Particularly as melee, things die quickly and the entire game seems much too easy with more than a group of 2 or so. I'm not trying to look down on anyone that enjoys it at all, it's just not as fun for me. I would have much preferred the mob difficulty to scale with the number of players, but that's just my opinion and preference.

And I do bring along the NPC characters when I'm going solo, for the extra mobs. I should have clarified that in the original post, I'm sorry.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 13, 2013, 04:52 AM
I run AQs with and old friend from PSU and sometimes one other. I'd love to get more people. Even duo I feel it's pretty mindless most of the time, except for certain situations...like open areas and 8 boosted gorongos that wanna roll you over for 500 damage each, even then it's more annoying than difficult. My feeling is you're running that place for drops and excubes. trying to take your time there is just cutting down your gains.

On a good run, I get 15-20 caps, 30-40 stones and a couple rares(most of them are crap, but eh). and it takes less than 40 mins with a good 15-20 minute PSE burst in there. Running it by yourself is just going to make it take longer and be less productive.

layn2321
Mar 13, 2013, 05:19 AM
I run AQs with and old friend from PSU and sometimes one other. I'd love to get more people. Even duo I feel it's pretty mindless most of the time, except for certain situations...like open areas and 8 boosted gorongos that wanna roll you over for 500 damage each, even then it's more annoying than difficult. My feeling is you're running that place for drops and excubes. trying to take your time there is just cutting down your gains.

On a good run, I get 15-20 caps, 30-40 stones and a couple rares(most of them are crap, but eh). and it takes less than 40 mins with a good 15-20 minute PSE burst in there. Running it by yourself is just going to make it take longer and be less productive.

So if AQ's are something to endure for the sake of drops, what is there left for fun? I thought AQ's are the hardest content out, if it's too easy to be fun, then... well no offense intended, but what's the point? I know most of the other phantasy star games weren't terribly challenging but this one, in group play at least, seems so much easier. I don't mean to get into a rant about difficulty so I apologize for venting, but as a long term fan of many games in the series I want to find something to hold me here.

Solo play may be muuuuch less efficient, but if it's the only thing that is fun for me then it's still ok. I don't need to be the very best, if I'm having fun and progressing at least a little it's ok for me. I just wanted to make the thread to get some opinions on how to make the solo experience in AQ's as successful as I can.

Husq
Mar 13, 2013, 05:31 AM
Solo play may be muuuuch less efficient, but if it's the only thing that is fun for me then it's still ok. I don't need to be the very best, if I'm having fun and progressing at least a little it's ok for me. I just wanted to make the thread to get some opinions on how to make the solo experience in AQ's as successful as I can.

Take NPCs with you for arera 1&2, and ditch them before enter the boss area, since they will be dead weight and don't offer any spawns at that stage iirc. If you manage to get your risk level to +10 or 15, soloing banshee and banther can be fun.
You might want to wear the luckrise units during area 1 and 2 as well, that should increase the likelihood that enemies do drop items, and make sure to use some e-codes to your advantage, i.e. mining code, just complete minimum requirement and go on and kill the spawns instead of trying to get all drills.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 13, 2013, 05:39 AM
It all depends on your team, skill level, etc. Also depends on risk level. once risk level gets up past 15 almost every other monster is boosted so it's not out of the question to get stagger locked and killed even as a force.

Thing is if you're taking an hour per run that's 35 hours to get each area to 15 and after a week's time it resets. 35 hours = 5 hours of dedicated playing per day. if you get a good team you cut that time in half and in those same 35 hours your risk level goes to 30.

Soloing, the only trials your face are refraining from finding a practical way to kill yourself with your own keyboard.

Sizustar
Mar 13, 2013, 05:41 AM
So if AQ's are something to endure for the sake of drops, what is there left for fun? I thought AQ's are the hardest content out, if it's too easy to be fun, then... well no offense intended, but what's the point? I know most of the other phantasy star games weren't terribly challenging but this one, in group play at least, seems so much easier. I don't mean to get into a rant about difficulty so I apologize for venting, but as a long term fan of many games in the series I want to find something to hold me here.

This is primary a hunting game, so hunting rare is the main purpose.
If you're looking for other thing, perhap another game is in order.