PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 NA Release Theories

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 13, 2013, 08:04 PM
Hello everyone. Thought I would change up the current trend of "gib meh NA newz pls!!!" by creating a thread where we can speculate possible reasons for why Sega of America isn't giving us news/why Sega in general won't let any news be shared.

The ultimate purpose of the thread is just to debate and get ideas out there. Most importantly though, I thought it would be pretty fun to do.

My most optimistic theory (kinda unrealistic), is that they will announce that the game will be coming out in a very short amount of time. I mean, announcing that it will release in a week upon announcing. Releasing the game in such a way could create a lot of traffic on the site, possibly causing a crash. A crash caused by a rush of eager fans would gain attention in gaming media, and would bring in more people. To support the theory of something like that gaining more fans, look at what happened with Guild Wars 2 when sales opened up. They had to stop selling digital copies because servers couldn't keep up with it. I know that created a lot of hype for me.

As I said, this is very unrealistic but it is extraordinarily optimistic haha. I'd love to hear what some of you guys can come up with!

gigawuts
Mar 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
Actually I think it's pretty plausible that they're holding off more news until it's basically ready to go. That's even pretty much how the JP servers went live.

They'll probably announce a beta of indeterminate duration, then 2 weeks or so into it launch the full game.

Retehi
Mar 13, 2013, 08:09 PM
They're too scared to tell us they cancelled it.

Lostbob117
Mar 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
They more then likely have no news to give us, really think about it if they had news they would tell us. But they don't have to us that they did something that isn't even entertaining(As in not getting anywhere/not much done.) Perhaps we'll hear something during the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if this game comes out during June.

Shadowth117
Mar 13, 2013, 08:23 PM
They're too scared to tell us they cancelled it.

They weren't scared to let PSU go with massive amounts of lag and frequent lag spikes on top of that for months at one point. I don't think they're "scared" to do anything to us.

Alvaaron
Mar 13, 2013, 08:30 PM
My best guess is PAX.

UnLucky
Mar 13, 2013, 08:36 PM
Next week they'll come out and announce that the NA/EU beta will start immediately, with the official release launching along with the Easter event, sharing all content with the current Japanese release, trading and shops will be free for all users, AC items will be up to 90% off permanently, all AC items will be saleable in player shops for meseta, skill resets are automatically issued at lv30 and every 15 levels afterwards, GMs will actively respond to players in game and address any and all support issues and reliably forward any complaints or suggestions to the Japanese development team.

Xaeris
Mar 13, 2013, 08:38 PM
Yeah, but what about my unicorn?

Alisha
Mar 13, 2013, 08:42 PM
they know all the people playing pso 2 jp wont switch over if us pso 2 starts from square one so why bother?

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 13, 2013, 08:52 PM
They more then likely have no news to give us, really think about it if they had news they would tell us. But they don't have to us that they did something that isn't even entertaining(As in not getting anywhere/not much done.) Perhaps we'll hear something during the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if this game comes out during June.

In business, it is more complicated than that. The news needs to be released in a way that it will stay in the consumers minds. For example, I heard about a game called Star Forge about a year ago, they were very big in the minds of the consumers at the time (the game was in EXTREMELY early alpha). The game still hasn't released, and is still in alpha, yet nobody really cares much about the game now. Point of that story is that businesses need to release news to coordinate with consumer hype. It will result in more impulsive purchases.

ashley50
Mar 13, 2013, 09:09 PM
Localization will just be wasted effort.

~Aya~
Mar 13, 2013, 09:19 PM
#TheGreatTribulation

Jinki
Mar 13, 2013, 09:27 PM
Why the rush to be a perpetual year and a half behind and then prematurely shut down? Didn't we learn anything from previous Phantasy Star (online) titles in the west? :-?

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Localization will just be wasted effort.

I don't really think that. A lot of people want to play with a majority of people who speak their own native language. Also, I'm sure that localizing it will make the cash shop cheaper here. Point is that you and most of the people in the forum are a minority of public opinion. Forum users are generally the dedicated crowd that doesn't want much change haha.

Edit: Not trying to put words in your mouth, just giving reasons for localization.

Why the rush to be a perpetual year and a half behind and then prematurely shut down? Didn't we learn anything from previous Phantasy Star (online) titles in the west? :-?

Sega seems to be making better decisions now.
Example: Making PSO2 so similar to the first PSO haha.

Kion
Mar 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
They're probably too busy with the Japanese servers and the NA server eeps getting pushed down the line. SoA said the game is still at SoJ and they haven't heard about it. So maybe the Dev team might start to work on it now that they've had a successful JP release for a year. But that still puts an announcement for it around May or later, beta testing over the summer with an announcement at E3, and actual (but still poor) service starting from August or later?

Zipzo
Mar 13, 2013, 11:48 PM
I don't really think that. A lot of people want to play with a majority of people who speak their own native language. Also, I'm sure that localizing it will make the cash shop cheaper here. Point is that you and most of the people in the forum are a minority of public opinion. Forum users are generally the dedicated crowd that doesn't want much change haha.

Edit: Not trying to put words in your mouth, just giving reasons for localization.

Yeah...and the majority of English speakers will be here on JP lol.

Also, if you thought your thread would get a different brand against the other "where is pso2na?" threads...you were wrong.

This thread again.

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 13, 2013, 11:50 PM

Also, if you thought your thread would get a different brand against the other "where is pso2na?" threads...you were wrong.

This thread again.

It is different, and I thought it would be kinda fun. Guess not :-?

Poubelle
Mar 13, 2013, 11:53 PM

This thread again.

majority? Really?

You must not realize how many people have no interest in playing on foreign servers.

Yden
Mar 13, 2013, 11:58 PM

Even if the cash shop was the same price, it'd still be cheaper without the foreign transaction fee that most credit cards charge you. That's the biggest thing stopping me from spending any money on the cash shop currently, because I don't want to be charged the extra 5% I think it is on my card.

UnLucky
Mar 13, 2013, 11:58 PM
majority? Really?

You must not realize how many people have no interest in playing on foreign servers.

You must not realize how many people have no interest in playing on the international server.

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 14, 2013, 12:02 AM
Even if the cash shop was the same price, it'd still be cheaper without the foreign transaction fee that most credit cards charge you. That's the biggest thing stopping me from spending any money on the cash shop currently, because I don't want to be charged the extra 5% I think it is on my card.

Yea, all the prices are steep to begin with, didn't even think of that. I am of the few who still prefer subscription games to free to play. I hate being nickle-and-dime'd, but apparently the majority of people like that :-?

blace
Mar 14, 2013, 12:03 AM
You must not realize how many people have no interest in playing on the international server.
You must no realize how much more people there are than the several hundreds of western players are on the servers.

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 14, 2013, 12:06 AM
You must no realize how much more people there are than the several hundreds of western players are on the servers.

A lot of people, myself included, are playing there just until the western version releases. I am happy to play on the JP servers, since the community efforts have made it simple and very do-able, but the cash shop is expensive, and I hate feeling like I shouldn't be there.

Kion
Mar 14, 2013, 12:10 AM
The nice thing though is the yen is starting to get cheaper. So that helps a bit. The prices are steep even for Japanese standards. There's really no reason why premium should be anything more than 1000AC a month, and 500AC to change your hair color? Really Sega?

gigawuts
Mar 14, 2013, 01:07 AM
The nice thing though is the yen is starting to get cheaper. So that helps a bit. The prices are steep even for Japanese standards. There's really no reason why premium should be anything more than 1000AC a month, and 500AC to change your hair color? Really Sega?

What is it that they're charging for scape dolls again?

Any time anyone tries to argue prices in PSO2 are fair, all you gotta do is say "scape doll."

The rest of the argument makes itself.

yoshiblue
Mar 14, 2013, 01:12 AM
Inb4itsoptionalandyournotforcedtobuyit argument.

Syklo
Mar 14, 2013, 01:32 AM
My theory:

They'll give out info ~2 weeks after demo'ing it at PAX Melbourne (Australia).

Yden
Mar 14, 2013, 02:43 AM
My theory:

They'll give out info ~2 weeks after demo'ing it at PAX Melbourne (Australia).

Did they say they were demoing the game there? Actually Pax East is in a week and are they even demoing it there?

blace
Mar 14, 2013, 02:49 AM
It was last year that they had a demo booth, so far no other news. If they plan on releasing any information either PAX East or PAX in general should shed light on anything.

Nothing on their site has said anything about being at PAX this year though.

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 14, 2013, 02:55 AM
So, we should try getting this back on topic haha. Anyone have any good theories for why their hasn't been any news?

ArcaneTechs
Mar 14, 2013, 02:59 AM
So, we should try getting this back on topic haha. Anyone have any good theories for why their hasn't been any news?

they're trying to incorporate the Sonic Heroes song into the game and they dont wanna screw that up

EvilMag
Mar 14, 2013, 03:04 AM
They're too busy whoring out Sonic.

yoshiblue
Mar 14, 2013, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSBVGv9PH-A making it into the game.

Syklo
Mar 14, 2013, 04:05 AM
Did they say they were demoing the game there? Actually Pax East is in a week and are they even demoing it there?

It was last year that they had a demo booth, so far no other news. If they plan on releasing any information either PAX East or PAX in general should shed light on anything.

Nothing on their site has said anything about being at PAX this year though.
I can't find ANY information on what will be at PAX Australia so I have no clue.

Shinamori
Mar 14, 2013, 05:41 AM
My theory is they'll pull a Tales of Graces F. We did see any English screenshots until at least 2-3 months before it's release.

UnLucky
Mar 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
Well they're about due for an announcement about NA/EU PSO2 for Vita, since it's been a year since the JP announcement.

Kion
Mar 14, 2013, 05:16 PM
My theory is they'll pull a Tales of Graces F. We did see any English screenshots until at least 2-3 months before it's release.

That's the thing though. It's been a year. If that's what they were planning, they should have released some information already.

Noblewine
Mar 14, 2013, 09:30 PM
I'm assuming its because it takes while to translate a game or Sega of America and Sega of Japan are having problems again. =/

Tcrusader51
Mar 14, 2013, 09:50 PM
I know it's most unlikely but I'm still going for Sega announcing that they changed their mind and are making a world server with japan that works kind of like the Vita and PC blocks.

Kion
Mar 14, 2013, 10:57 PM
It could be that SoA thinks SoJ is handling it, and SoJ thinks SoA is handling it and the game just got lost that way.

Alisha
Mar 14, 2013, 11:23 PM
the US release is a 15 star rare that hasnt dropped for anyone yet.

MegaZoneXE
Mar 15, 2013, 12:14 AM
Apparently this is more important to SoA at the moment than localizing pso2, they've been posting this on their Facebook page.....http://www.facebook.com/Sega

http://i.minus.com/jz2U7XYEKoUAK.jpg (http://minus.com/lz2U7XYEKoUAK)

Kion
Mar 15, 2013, 12:18 AM
Apparently this is more important to SoA at the moment than localizing pso2, they've been posting this on their Facebook page.....http://www.facebook.com/Sega

Wait, is that a thing?

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 15, 2013, 01:35 AM
I'm assuming its because it takes while to translate a game or Sega of America and Sega of Japan are having problems again. =/

The problem with that theory is that the community has basically had the whole game translated for a while now, and that included getting around their encryption and having to FIND all the information instead of knowing where it was already haha.

Poubelle
Mar 15, 2013, 01:40 AM
well, I think as far as the in-game texts, translation is SEGA's easiest objective in localizing the game. (dubbing could be a different matter)

there are likely factors we don't know about causing the delay

Kion
Mar 15, 2013, 01:55 AM
well, I think as far as the in-game texts, translation is SEGA's easiest objective in localizing the game. (dubbing could be a different matter)

there are likely factors we don't know about causing the delay

For the server all they have to do is replace the values with what's on Cirnopedia, for the player site and payments, that's all not too hard. Could pretty much go with a scaled up version of my chrome extension and just make an english version on the same server. For the dubbing is pretty mcuh an extension of the english patch. What we basically do is replace the japanese text with an english one, for dubbing all you need to do is replace the japanese sound file with an english recorded one. I mean really this game has been damn near localized by a small group of players in our free time. I really can't imagine there's anything that would really require longer than 6 months, or at least communicate the status of what's taking so long after that. The only thing I can say is Sega really knows how to shit the bed.

catwat
Mar 15, 2013, 02:03 AM
So much hate and negativity before it is even out yet or announced for a beta/release. Almost sounds like you don't want it at all :/

Well im looking forward on it, and JP in the meanwhile. Will probably play both anyways.

Rien
Mar 15, 2013, 02:35 AM
Wait, is that a thing?

music games? yes.

blace
Mar 15, 2013, 02:43 AM
Could be they're having problems with setting up a network environment to get the game running. Translating the game, as it is, was done by a small group and the story can now be viewed in game rather than having to have an external source open.

The only possible issues I see are getting the actors for the voices, and what I said above, an operating network. They could have all the games files ready, but it won't mean anything without a stable network environment to run it in.

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 15, 2013, 03:04 AM
So much hate and negativity before it is even out yet or announced for a beta/release. Almost sounds like you don't want it at all :/

Well im looking forward on it, and JP in the meanwhile. Will probably play both anyways.
at this rate who would? the JP version is 90% english

Blundy
Mar 15, 2013, 04:52 AM
i'm guessing they grabbed like two randos from a department and told them to translate the whole game, which is taking awhile, but isn't costing all that much.

Alisha
Mar 15, 2013, 05:27 AM
a thought i just had. could they be waiting for spring break when college kids will be off and be able to play it?

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 05:31 AM
i'm guessing they grabbed like two randos from a department and told them to translate the whole game, which is taking awhile, but isn't costing all that much.
Inb4 people use the fan translation patches on the english version because the translating is better.

gigawuts
Mar 15, 2013, 05:35 AM
Inb4 people use the fan translation patches on the english version because the translating is better.

Ahahaha, I can totally see this happening. Even past PS titles could have benefited from a fan translation patch, there've been some hilarious inconsistencies and horrible translations in every PS game I've ever played.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 15, 2013, 05:49 AM

Well I think it is important, not sure if more important then PSO2 though, I'm all for more JP only games getting localized at all so this is a big step.

jooozek
Mar 15, 2013, 05:50 AM

last i heard the english patch for the japanese version is going to use the SoA version translation once it comes out so there

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 06:34 AM
last i heard the english patch for the japanese version is going to use the SoA version translation once it comes out so thereI was mostly joking.

I'm going to miss this though.

[spoiler-box]http://i.imgur.com/zcqCKqY.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Kion
Mar 15, 2013, 06:58 AM
That's for the main patch. The story patch is distributed by someone else (who shall not be named here). But I'm sure that person has no intention of replacing his translations with Sega's. For the very reason listed in the post above. Also:
[spoiler-box]
http://puu.sh/24Fhf
[/spoiler-box]

Abaddon87
Mar 15, 2013, 08:38 AM
Id say its because they can make more money just putting it out on vita first,its a handheld seller .

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 15, 2013, 09:46 AM
Id say its because they can make more money just putting it out on vita first,its a handheld seller .

Honestly, if I could get a vita for about $200, I would totally buy one to play a localized pso2. However the appeal of gaming on the go has diminished for me since I am 19 haha.

Meji
Mar 15, 2013, 09:51 AM
However the appeal of gaming on the go has diminished for me since I am 19 haha.Lol, what are you even going on about?
I'm almost 23, and been playing games my whole life. Just because one's "growing up" doesn't mean you have to stop playing games~ ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

Edit: Whoops, missed the "on the go" part in that line. orz

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 15, 2013, 10:00 AM
Lol, what are you even going on about?
I'm almost 23, and been playing games my whole life. Just because one's "growing up" doesn't mean you have to stop playing games~ ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

You misread that. I said gaming on the go. I just mean that if I am going somewhere, I am usually driving there myself so I can't play games haha.

Meji
Mar 15, 2013, 10:04 AM
You misread that. I said gaming on the go. I just mean that if I am going somewhere, I am usually driving there myself so I can't play games haha.Oops, my bad! Your post totally made more sense now! :D <3

UnLucky
Mar 15, 2013, 11:41 AM
I play all my 3DS games on my couch at home while plugged into the wall.

RIP in pieces, mobile gaming.

Daiyousei
Mar 15, 2013, 12:18 PM
I play all my 3DS games on my couch at home while plugged into the wall.

RIP in pieces, mobile gaming.

and If I need to go to the bathroom or something, unplug my Vita and bring it with me without having to pause what I'm doing. or if I'm somewhere I have to sit for a lengthened period of time.

Emmie
Mar 15, 2013, 12:32 PM
I'm guessing they don't want to say anything more until things have been confirmed. They're probably busy trying to decide what content we get and when, whether to get VAs or disable voices, pricing on the cash shop, securing any rights that need to be done, and a host of other issues. They could also be waiting on the release so it's not in direct competition with other games that appeal to the target demographics.

...or maybe they are just reevaluating this game to find out if this title would be profitable enough for them to localize. Who knows?

Alucadra
Mar 15, 2013, 01:16 PM
Last I heard Sakai had been talking about "Game Culturalization" a lot. Meaning they're working on exclusive content for the West/EU release specific to that demographic and they're redoing some mechanics to better suit the wants of the Western audience.

DS23
Mar 15, 2013, 01:22 PM
'Culturalization' just means no pantsu shots and alternate lobbies for the west like the 4th of July one really. That and tweaking the scratches so they don't violate any goofy EU gambling laws.

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 15, 2013, 01:47 PM
'Culturalization' just means no pantsu shots and alternate lobbies for the west like the 4th of July one really. That and tweaking the scratches so they don't violate any goofy EU gambling laws.

I hate that first part so much. Why the hell do we have a rating system if we still protect young viewers regardless?

Galax
Mar 15, 2013, 01:53 PM
I hate that first part so much. Why the hell do we have a rating system if we still protect young viewers regardless?

I don't know about you but I'm not playing the game to jack off to panty shots or code penetration symbol arts; I'm playing the game to pass some time and have fun with friends and teammates. We have ratings because without them a lot of people wouldn't know not to buy a 9 year old a game named after a crime; GTA anyone?

There are some things you just don't put in a game. Very often, sex organs make the list, so people sneak in some "under the radar" shots; These seem to, all too often, be revealing cleavage and panty shots. If I really wanna see that, I'll be on the internet searching it up; Not playing a game meant for entertainment and making SEGA money.

Alucadra
Mar 15, 2013, 02:09 PM
I don't know about you but I'm not playing the game to jack off to panty shots or code penetration symbol arts; I'm playing the game to pass some time and have fun with friends and teammates. We have ratings because without them a lot of people wouldn't know not to buy a 9 year old a game named after a crime; GTA anyone?

There are some things you just don't put in a game. Very often, sex organs make the list, so people sneak in some "under the radar" shots; These seem to, all too often, be revealing cleavage and panty shots. If I really wanna see that, I'll be on the internet searching it up; Not playing a game meant for entertainment and making SEGA money.

#storyofmylife

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 02:16 PM

#storyofmylife

If you're gonna be so vehemately against that kind of stuff then at least do so for a reason less self centered than "it doesn't appeal to me".

ImpulseBarbeque
Mar 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
Maybe they're waiting so they can showcase it at some convention, alot of companies do that to save the grand opening for a presentation.

Link1275
Mar 15, 2013, 02:18 PM
If you're gonna be so vehemately against that kind of stuff then at least do so for a reason less self centered than "it doesn't appeal to me".
How about the west is much more opposed to that due to religious influences over the course of a couple thousand years(especially when people under 18 are able to view or play this game with relative ease)?

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 02:21 PM
How about the west is much more opposed to that due to religious influences over the course of a couple thousand years(especially when people under 18 are able to view or play this game with relative ease)?That's a really broad generalization.

I was hoping someone would bring up the blatant sexism. That's a reason I can understand. But this isn't really a discussion for these forums so I'll cut it here.

Link1275
Mar 15, 2013, 02:28 PM
That's a really broad generalization.

I was hoping someone would bring up the blatant sexism. That's a reason I can understand. But this isn't really a discussion for these forums so I'll cut it here.
It is also bad due to the fact that it makes women look like they're just sex dolls in this games as well if that's where you're wanting to go with it.

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 02:36 PM
It is also bad due to the fact that it makes women look like they're just sex dolls in this games as well if that's where you're wanting to go with it.

I'm not against making women sexy. I'm against the fact that the female characters get more choices for it. There aren't as many sexy guy things. The male bath towel is pretty skimpy, but only girls get a wet version it seems, which is a bit much, on the other hand the male version has so little to it that it doesn't really feel like it needs one (still need speedos though).

Link1275
Mar 15, 2013, 02:41 PM
I'm not against making women sexy. I'm against the fact that the female characters get more choices for it. There aren't as many sexy guy things. The male bath towel is pretty skimpy, but only girls get a wet version it seems, which is a bit much, on the other hand the male version has so little to it that it doesn't really feel like it needs one (still need speedos though).
Which they do need to fix in an international release. They're essentially selling the game as a "loli" make up game in Japan, that won't sell on many other continents really. Basically they need to give guys more clothing options.

DS23
Mar 15, 2013, 02:46 PM
Well if they leave it as is they may get a M rating in the states ala Tera although this game is definitely not as bad as that one is 'service' wise.

eharima
Mar 15, 2013, 02:46 PM
Sega is too busy localising shenmue 3 obviously

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 02:49 PM
Which they do need to fix in an international release. They're essentially selling the game as a "loli" make up game in Japan, that won't sell on many other continents really. Basically they need to give guys more clothing options.

Given the games I've seen localized and how they were (lol tera) I don't imagine they'll do much except maybe, the stuff DS23 said.

Link1275
Mar 15, 2013, 03:10 PM
Given the games I've seen localized and how they were (lol tera) I don't imagine they'll do much except maybe, the stuff DS23 said.
It wouldn't hurt them to give guys some more clothing options. Seriously. The clothing line for guys is currently limited to about 5-7 original designs and a bunch of NPC/default clothes reskins...

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 03:16 PM
It wouldn't hurt them to give guys some more clothing options. Seriously. The clothing line for guys is currently limited to about 5-7 original designs and a bunch of NPC/default clothes reskins...

I agree. I just don't see something like that happening specifically for US localization.

EDIT: And honestly I'd prefer if they didn't since my experience with that sort of thing has basically been "Boooooooooss, the Americans want stuff" "Then give them something, I don't care." "Hmmm, what do amercians like...?" *western servers get a cowboy hat*

Link1275
Mar 15, 2013, 03:20 PM
I agree. I just don't see something like that happening specifically for US localization.
I wasn't specifically saying just for the international version though. They should add a ton of male clothing options to the JP version right before the international release to balance things out. Right now though, Heretic Lord, the PSP2 costume imports(mostly Frontier Wing there), rappy suits, default clothes, and occasionally a couple others are the only male costumes I see in the lobbies anymore.

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 03:27 PM
I wasn't specifically saying just for the international version though. They should add a ton of male clothing options to the JP version right before the international release to balance things out. Right now though, Heretic Lord, the PSP2 costume imports(mostly Frontier Wing there), rappy suits, default clothes, and occasionally a couple others are the only male costumes I see in the lobbies anymore.Well here's hoping. x: I don't even play a male character and it bugs me. :/

blace
Mar 15, 2013, 03:31 PM
I've been using the Adventos set since August. They really need more options for males.

UnLucky
Mar 15, 2013, 03:59 PM
I don't know about you but I'm not playing the game to jack off to panty shots or code penetration symbol arts;

Well I am. *ahem*

I'd rather have the option for debased depravity if it means they won't remove all symbol art functionality due to possible vulgarity, and all skirts and dresses removed because certain animations, postures, and camera angles can show normally unseen virtual fabric, or limiting the camera from being positioned below a certain treshhold, or removing physics from character models and costumes, or withholding content without introducing new stuff in its place, or gimping the character creation system because "150cm is just way too short for a girl" or "adults with these proportions are just plain wrong."

Blundy
Mar 15, 2013, 04:00 PM
Last I heard Sakai had been talking about "Game Culturalization" a lot.

- All Rangers or Gunners

- Tps mode only

- deathmatch

in reality i'd love to be catered to, if they actually understand what i want; which is what i am currently playing with English voice acting and maybe a cash shop rather than a rando scratch system.

Deftry
Mar 15, 2013, 07:23 PM
Anyone familiar with Giantbomb, should check out the latest 8-4-play podcast (http://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/eight-four-play/), which is supposed to have some thoughts on the US version.

These guys are industry-insiders, and handle a lot of western translation (they helped Atlus on P4: The Golden, for example) and according to them, the PSO2 translation has long since been completed, and Sega are just currently sitting on the game - for reasons not yet clear.

I only found about this, since i'm currently watching a GB subscriber livestream and it was mentioned in the chat. I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'll definately check it out later.

Edit - Also, boy! Its been years since I last posted here..

Edit2 - skip to 30:30. They re-iterate pretty much what we know already.

Link1275
Mar 15, 2013, 07:45 PM
Well I am. *ahem*

I'd rather have the option for debased depravity if it means they won't remove all symbol art functionality due to possible vulgarity, and all skirts and dresses removed because certain animations, postures, and camera angles can show normally unseen virtual fabric, or limiting the camera from being positioned below a certain treshhold, or removing physics from character models and costumes, or withholding content without introducing new stuff in its place, or gimping the character creation system because "150cm is just way too short for a girl" or "adults with these proportions are just plain wrong."
Maybe not to that degree, but they could have mods that actually play the game to ban people who abuse Symbol Art. They could also simply remove the under the skirt content like most game developers tend to do... Also if you really are playing this for the reason you said you were at the start of your post, please go do it elsewhere. MMOs really aren't the place to do that........

Kondibon
Mar 15, 2013, 08:14 PM
They could also simply remove the under the skirt content like most game developers tend to do...
I've not seen this happen in any game I've played. I have however seen it not designed in the first place (like with the bath towels coming out)
. I honestly doubt being able to see under skirts is gonna be that big of a deal. Not that I'd be surprised. I find it more likely however that it has to do with holidays and tweaks to the character creator.

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
I've not seen this happen in any game I've played. I have however seen it not designed in the first place (like with the bath towels coming out)
. I honestly doubt being able to see under skirts is gonna be that big of a deal. Not that I'd be surprised. I find it more likely however that it has to do with holidays and tweaks to the character creator.

I don't see how it is a big deal if Barbies are acceptable for kids.

Link1275
Mar 15, 2013, 08:51 PM
I don't see how it is a big deal if Barbies are acceptable for kids.
Barbies have plastic non-removable under wear and plastic bumps on their chest to be near anatomically correct(irl she couldn't walk though).

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 15, 2013, 11:53 PM
Barbies have plastic non-removable under wear and plastic bumps on their chest to be near anatomically correct(irl she couldn't walk though).

Point being that underwear on a 3D model in a video game isn't that bad haha. You can see much more revealing things by taking a family trip to the beach haha.

gigawuts
Mar 16, 2013, 12:46 AM
Point being that underwear on a 3D model in a video game isn't that bad haha. You can see much more revealing things by taking a family trip to the beach haha.

This is not an analogy that really needed to be made.

Renette
Mar 16, 2013, 04:35 AM
These guys are industry-insiders, and handle a lot of western translation (they helped Atlus on P4: The Golden, for example) and according to them, the PSO2 translation has long since been completed, and Sega are just currently sitting on the game - for reasons not yet clear.

Not sure if this has been said here, but a theory has been running among my friends that Sega wanted to push Sonic Dash, spending PSO2's marketing money... for god knows how that even works. Mobile micro-transactions has always been popular and pretty successful, and the Sonic game is currently looking good... for a Temple Run re-skin. So, maybe they'll be making back the money for PSO2's marketing again.

Just wanted to share that. More people should listen to that podcast.

Rien
Mar 16, 2013, 04:46 AM

Considering existing outfits already have panties right out in the open (Rifra Biscana [?] anyone?)

WCW524
Mar 16, 2013, 05:19 AM
I am very, VERY drunk as I'm typing this, so please bear with me.
Phantasy Star Universe came out first on the PC as well as the Playstation 2 inside of Japan. Shortly after, it came out for the Xbox 360 in Japan.
After all of that, everything came out in America all at once. PC, PS2, and Xbox.
They might treat Phantasy Star Online 2 the same. We might not see a release until the smartphone version is done, HOWEVER, we will receive all of the above mentioned all at one time, and shortly after the smartphone version.
I, myself, am very patient. I can wait.

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 16, 2013, 05:31 AM
I am very, VERY drunk as I'm typing this, so please bear with me.
Phantasy Star Universe came out first on the PC as well as the Playstation 2 inside of Japan. Shortly after, it came out for the Xbox 360 in Japan.
After all of that, everything came out in America all at once. PC, PS2, and Xbox.
They might treat Phantasy Star Online 2 the same. We might not see a release until the smartphone version is done, HOWEVER, we will receive all of the above mentioned all at one time, and shortly after the smartphone version.
I, myself, am very patient. I can wait.

why do people even wait anymore? the game has been out for a long while to a point were the only things in Japanese are the item names -_-

jooozek
Mar 16, 2013, 05:34 AM
why do people even wait anymore? the game has been out for a long while to a point were the only things in Japanese are the item names -_-

maybe because
i dont know
they want to communicate with players ingame?
<badumtsh>

Jbom99
Mar 16, 2013, 05:36 AM
I believe the reason is because SEGA (US and EU) doesn't want to tell us all that they are going to "Localize" the game instead of just translating it over. Which ofcourse will likely sour the game as they would end up giving it not only a cruddy VO job and translation, but would also end up removing content from the game at the same time.

Alucadra
Mar 16, 2013, 06:01 AM
You my good sir are a trooper to be able to wait this long for them to hob squabble a group of professional developers to do what a single person did on his own time over the course of 8 months. I'm not really sure how long they're going to sit there and ask themselves "Does the western audience like this" When I'm pretty sure Ship 2 and 10 are FULL of English players. Sega however never made it past the short bus though so we have to wait absurd amounts of time to hear anything. Hopefully by PAX East next week we'll have something.

WCW524
Mar 16, 2013, 06:05 AM

I'm a level 50 Hunter Fighter 43 in the Japanese server. I'm still waiting so I can pay respect to Sega and their ToS, and play in the servers we were meant to play on.
Also, I'd like to spend retarded amounts of money on this US server.

Feign
Mar 16, 2013, 01:02 PM

Small army of sex dolls clad only in wet towels send an eldritch abomination packing, news at eleven!

Tn Opic: NA release is being delayed because they needed to ugly up rappies.

moorebounce
Mar 16, 2013, 01:21 PM
they know all the people playing pso 2 jp wont switch over if us pso 2 starts from square one so why bother?

I'm switching. I can deal with the exchange rate but have a issue with the mark-up for non JP players. I do premium but don't buy AC scratch because it's being taken up by the mark-up. When this hits NA/EU I'll be switching and I'll be able to afford AC scratch too.

As for when it comes to NA/EU I don't really care since I can still play the JP version.

Feign
Mar 16, 2013, 01:57 PM
As for when it comes to NA/EU I don't really care since I can still play the JP version.

Logical fallacy. They could, and most likely will, implement a block for non-asian IPs when EU and NA launch. We can only hope they do not.

Cagedtaytay
Mar 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
Logical fallacy. They could, and most likely will, implement a block for non-asian IPs when EU and NA launch. We can only hope they do not.

But if they do...Oh god the incoming rage/shitstorm that will follow.

jooozek
Mar 16, 2013, 05:16 PM

why the fuck would they make a block for non-asian IPs?
why the fuck would they make a block for something that isn't allowed by their ToS

UnLucky
Mar 16, 2013, 05:18 PM
Blocking foreign IPs from connecting, not creating lobby blocks for accounts within a certain IP range

Feign
Mar 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
Amusingly enough, I knew someone would misread the word block.

But if they do...Oh god the incoming rage/shitstorm that will follow.

And it will be GLORIOUS.

Blundy
Mar 16, 2013, 08:46 PM
Also, I'd like to spend retarded amounts of money on this US server.

here here!

jooozek
Mar 17, 2013, 03:43 AM
Amusingly enough, I knew someone would misread the word block.

And it will be GLORIOUS.

yeah, because, uh, the proper word is blockade
durr durr

UnLucky
Mar 17, 2013, 09:00 AM
yeah, because, uh, the proper word is blockade
durr durr

"The Vita Blockades"

hm, you're right, I kinda like that name

and I'll tell everyone from now on to avoid Blockade 20

Daiyousei
Mar 22, 2013, 05:24 PM
So I've only found out that Atelier Totori Plus was localized and released on PSN, even if there wasn't an official announcement, it just popped up and BAM on PSN, I'm going to assume that Sega is going to pull a similar stunt with the international release. An it released so suddenly too, nobody noticed except for a few hardcore players who then passed on the word.

Shinamori
Mar 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
I give it a year or two before they close the servers. "Lack of interest" they will claim.

Yden
Mar 22, 2013, 08:56 PM
I give it a year or two before they close the servers. "Lack of interest" they will claim.

Lack of interest usually does mean lack of interest. Game servers tend to shut down when they don't make back the money it costs for them to host it. The reasoning for the lack of interests is a completely different matter altogether.

Dinosaur
Apr 14, 2013, 01:09 PM
SEGA is working with Valve/Steam on a release schedule.

That's the best thing I can think of for NA release.

DreamState83
Apr 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
Lack of interest usually does mean lack of interest. Game servers tend to shut down when they don't make back the money it costs for them to host it. The reasoning for the lack of interests is a completely different matter altogether.

I'm pretty sure that was his point ^_^

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2013, 02:37 PM
They are waiting to release multiple international versions at once, including EU, KR, and SEA servers. Since they are doing individual localization work for each region, I imagine that's what we're waiting on.

That and the insane Americanization that's going to be going into the western release. Expect massive censorship on clothing, the complete removal of AC scratch (and thus, an entire rework on the game's loot tables or AC/FUN functions), and possibly the removal or extreme limitations of symbol chats.

Quatre52
Apr 14, 2013, 02:42 PM
They are waiting to release multiple international versions at once, including EU, KR, and SEA servers. Since they are doing individual localization work for each region, I imagine that's what we're waiting on.

That and the insane Americanization that's going to be going into the western release. Expect massive censorship on clothing, the complete removal of AC scratch (and thus, an entire rework on the game's loot tables or AC/FUN functions), and possibly the removal or extreme limitations of symbol chats.

Why do you expect so much change? Especially curious about why you expect limitation of symbol chats...

Zaven
Apr 14, 2013, 02:58 PM
Why do you expect so much change? Especially curious about why you expect limitation of symbol chats...

Some or them atm are sexually oriented, racist humour and everything lol. While i laught a few times, i wouldn't miss them.

Edit: Wait .. are we talking about the same thing ?

Quatre52
Apr 14, 2013, 03:02 PM
Some or them atm are sexually oriented, racist humour and everything lol. While i laught a few times, i wouldn't miss them.

Edit: Wait .. are we talking about the same thing ?

Yea, but, that doesn't mean they'd get removed...same things were on PSO too, and..well, every where on the internet, were not that censored over here guys...

ReaperTheAbsol
Apr 14, 2013, 03:08 PM

Game culturization. Holidays and special events will cater to us on their corresponding days/periods of time. Yukatas will most likely be replaced by daisy dukes, tanktops, and anything that screams "America, fuck yeah!" Anything that they feel necessary for their target audience will be given to them, within reason obviously.

Symbol arts are... Well, y'know. The possibilities are... endless.

Edit: I don't think SA's will be removed entirely, but I would hope that there's some "reliable" form of moderation, but that's just wishful thinking.

Quatre52
Apr 14, 2013, 03:12 PM
Do me a favor, go play the past Phantasy Star games then come back and make all these assumptions again...

There will be a few changes, but nothing that major. You should worry more about when we get content.

~Aya~
Apr 14, 2013, 03:12 PM
Game culturization. Holidays and special events will cater to us on their corresponding days/periods of time. Yukatas will most likely be replaced by daisy dukes, tanktops, and anything that screams "America, fuck yeah!" Anything that they feel necessary for their target audience will be given to them, within reason obviously.

Symbol arts are... Well, y'know. The possibilities are... endless.

Edit: I don't think SA's will be removed entirely, but I would hope that there's some "reliable" form of moderation, but that's just wishful thinking.

LOL!!! 'MURICA!! That was great.

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2013, 03:22 PM

1. Clothing - Sexualization, recently censored examples like TERA show this being censored, even with M rating.

2. AC Scratch - This will be 100% changed due to gambling laws and/or taboos, which applies heavily in the USA.

3. Symbol Chats - Again, huge potential of sexualization or any other number of massive taboos in American culture that can be abused.

#1 and #2 I can pretty much guarantee since they will be aiming at a different demograph than the Japanese audience. Furthermore, many companies releasing games in the NA realize how crucial it is for business to get a 'T' rating rather than 'M' if it's possible.

Last but not least, if SEGA really wants to hit hard in the Western market, they are more than likely working out a PSO2 program with Steam or some such.

Quatre52
Apr 14, 2013, 03:26 PM
Teras biggest issue was the fact that the characters were designed to looke like 7 year olds, with 0 control from the user to change that, thats why Tera was changed.

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
Okay, my other points still stand, lol. You'd be silly to think they aren't concerned with how their easily accessible F2P title might have children playing games with nipples showing or symbol chats with a penis and a pair of tits that say "UR MUM" on it being restricted to those kids thus less potential income. (I know in my adolescence my parents would flip the hell out if they saw things like that.)

Shinamori
Apr 14, 2013, 03:33 PM
You're thinking too much on this. The only thing I see is the AC and FUN Scratch becoming shop items.

ReaperTheAbsol
Apr 14, 2013, 03:35 PM
LOL!!! 'MURICA!! That was great.

I did it for... America.

BlankM
Apr 14, 2013, 03:36 PM
Nexon does much worst in relation to "gambling."

Symbol arts might be moderated but its so hard to do so that I doubt it. Previous Phantasy Star's had the same thing.

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2013, 03:37 PM
You're thinking too much on this. The only thing I see is the AC and FUN Scratch becoming shop items.

Not really, I have to deal with marketing so I understand how "accessibility" works with Americans. To hit as broad of an audience as possible, these are very plausible things that could happen. Also, being that it's a thread discussing PSO2 NA release theories, I don't think I'm overthinking anything. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing here? It's all hearsay until further notice anyway. ;)

Symbol arts might be moderated but its so hard to do so that I doubt it. Previous Phantasy Star's had the same thing.

I understand that; however, they were much less detailed and I'm fairly certain they were at a time when the general audience wasn't quite as young, especially when you consider the game had a monthly fee and purchase required whereas PSO2 will be F2P entirely.

Macman
Apr 14, 2013, 03:42 PM
SoA can't even moderate cheaters. What makes you think they'll have the capability to moderate Code:Penetration SAs?

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2013, 03:44 PM
SoA can't even moderate cheaters. What makes you think they'll have the capability to moderate Code:Penetration SAs?

Therein lies the problem -- if they can't find an efficient yet low-workload method of censoring Symbol Arts, they may modify them heavily to a point where they aren't similar to the current ones on JP. They'll do whatever brings in more revenue, which typically ends up being censorship of those sort of things since it opens the doors to a broader audience rather than a niche audience.

Quatre52
Apr 14, 2013, 03:50 PM
Not really, I have to deal with marketing so I understand how "accessibility" works with Americans. To hit as broad of an audience as possible, these are very plausible things that could happen. Also, being that it's a thread discussing PSO2 NA release theories, I don't think I'm overthinking anything. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing here? It's all hearsay until further notice anyway. ;)

I understand that; however, they were much less detailed and I'm fairly certain they were at a time when the general audience wasn't quite as young, especially when you consider the game had a monthly fee and purchase required whereas PSO2 will be F2P entirely.

The original PSO had no monthly fee.

A lot of games offer ways to have custom symbols and art done in game, Sega is doing nothing truly special here with this, I'd expect no different treatment of there system than anyone else's.

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2013, 03:52 PM
The original PSO had no monthly fee.

A lot of games offer ways to have custom symbols and art done in game, Sega is doing nothing truly special here with this, I'd expect no different treatment of there system than anyone else's.

The original did, in fact, have a monthly fee. It was a Hunter's License and it was $9.99 a month.

Quatre52
Apr 14, 2013, 03:55 PM
The original did, in fact, have a monthly fee. It was a Hunter's License and it was $9.99 a month.

PSO had no fee, PSO v.2 had, the fee. 15 for 3 months. PSO ep1 and 2 had the 9.99 a month fee.

DreXxiN
Apr 14, 2013, 04:08 PM
PSO had no fee, PSO v.2 had, the fee. 15 for 3 months. PSO ep1 and 2 had the 9.99 a month fee.

Hmm, I definitely could have sworn paying all the way back to the original V1 Dreamcast release (It was region based if you had to pay or not for V1 apparently), but regardless, you claimed "the original "PSO" had no monthly fee, which I just insinuated as PSO in general. Either way, I have no proof of the V1 billing, so if you had a source for your information that'd be awesome.

Still, that doesn't change the fact that they would make decisions targetting a younger demograph for other reasons:

- A F2P PC title in 2013 is still far, far more accessible than a Dreamcast B2P title (assuming V1 didn't have a Hunter's License) in which you had to use a 28.8k/56k modem, especially for youth.

- Children, in general, play a lot more online games than they did in the past. Free to Play makes it that much more accessible

- Gaming nowadays is constantly under attack by the media for being poor influences to children and times have changed.

What I'm implying is that, from a business persective and whether we like it or not, it's smarter for SEGA to apply this kind of censorship for a much higher potential revenue due to parents much more willing to buy things for their kids/teenagers when the game is "appropriate." So while I'm not going to guarantee they will do all of this censorship, I would bet money on it if SEGA is intelligent with their fiscal responsibility.

The "niche" of people they lose that find uncensored games endearing is honestly much, much smaller of a loss than anyone ever thinks it will be, and worth the gain of potential customers due to a wider audience to appeal to. The usual case is people bitching about it and then continuing to play it.

Daemyn
Apr 14, 2013, 08:18 PM
Nexon does much worst in relation to "gambling."

Nexon can go die in a hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vindictus's rng -have fun enhanceing- is very very very rigged also weapons blow up on fail after a certain point oh also they have a glitchy fail autoban system.

Mabinogi also is rng stupid. also getting gotchapwned is not fun.

have not really played many of their other games except for dfo which is closeing soon :/

-nonsensical rage filled -more nonsensical- 4 years worth of nonsensical ranting- ranting- ranting-! ! ! !

And this is why I play JP Pso2 over them :D

Nexon has good games but they have been run like total crap more than normal for the past year.
hell.

PSO2 atm is being run way way better it's the first time I never intended to put over 100 hours into a game and ended up over at 1000 ._.

I meant only to test characters out on waiting for the NA version :U which so far I have went through 9

RedRaz0r
Apr 14, 2013, 08:27 PM
Who the hell bumped this

Quatre52
Apr 14, 2013, 09:11 PM
Who the hell bumped this

A lot of people, on a decently regular basis, like the nice conversation we had this afternoon, thanks for contributing with that useful post.

(By the way, if your some how upset it got bumped, making a post to point out that it was bumped should be the exact opposite of what you'd want to do.)

yoshiblue
Apr 14, 2013, 09:22 PM
Sometimes a guy just has to say whats on his mind.

UnLucky
Apr 14, 2013, 09:39 PM
Well not much point bumping a month dead thread when there's one on the front page about the same thing, but whatever.

Teras biggest issue was the fact that the characters were designed to looke like 7 year olds, with 0 control from the user to change that, thats why Tera was changed.
Well you can definitely... not make those characters. Plenty of other races that are taller and bustier than the Elin. You can even go Popori to get the exact same racial skills. If you mean running into other players, well many games have the option for character customization like Aion or PSO2 with height and proportion sliders.

Also w.r.t. to restricting player content in the name of censorship, look no further than Disgaea 4's custom maps.

Here's what you can do in the JP version:
http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/image_thumb142.png
Each individual tile can be placed anywhere you want to create any shape you like.[/SPOILER-BOX]
And here is the EN version:[SPOILER-BOX]http://i.neoseeker.com/n/5/net_51.jpg
That's four pieces. Incredibly restrictive, since you can't overlap these presets nor alter individual tile heights. You see those gray spaces around the + shapes or within the O? Yeah you can't put any other tile there. It's just forever blank space you cannot use for anything.[/SPOILER-BOX]

[s]Didn't stop me from making this (http://imageshack.us/a/img32/6268/bangeopanels.jpg), though. Or this other one (http://imageshack.us/a/img861/3769/nazimap.jpg).