PDA

View Full Version : Random and unfounded...but what if....

kazuma56
Mar 14, 2013, 09:01 PM
PSO 2 is going to be released alongside the PS4? I have no theory to support this but the fact that it is also on vita (low install base in jp before launch) and that they have yet to announce anything stateside makes me believe that a E3 announcement with details could be a possiability.... Not to mention the PS4 is closer to a PC code wise that porting should be a non-issue (same for graphical fidelty).

Thoughts?

Shinji Kazuya
Mar 14, 2013, 10:22 PM
Since it is already on Vita, coming to PS4 is not completely out of this world.

But I don't think so.

Sinue_v2
Mar 15, 2013, 03:48 AM
*IF* it were coming to game consoles, then there would be some strategic advantage in holding off until the next-generation ramps up. They'd have an easier time negotiating favorable terms when it comes to managing the online servers and getting a larger cut of micro-transaction payments. Since it's difficult to predict how well or poorly a new generation's hardware features will be adopted/standardized by the industry, everyone is a bit more open to taking risks, even with genres that haven't been able to penetrate the market before. MMO's and RPSs may well find much easier footing with couch-friendly input devices like SmartGlass & WiiU. Not only do they have the quick precision inputs of a pointing device, but they can program in what ever control solutions are needed though software.. even updating to add new features mid-release. They're not restricted by clunky unoptimized transplants from your PC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_keyboard), gimmicky accessories that nobody has (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/headsetscommunication/Xbox360Chatpad), or by trying to justify approving this monstrosity (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/30/sega-releases-phantasy-star-branded-texting-gadget-for-ps2-xbox/) to the board without having to lie about being completely blitzed on gargantuan quantities of hard motherfucking drugs around that period of time.

MMO's are a popular genre, and it's only a matter of time before someone stumbles upon the right formula to adapt them to consoles play. New features may make this adaptation easier, and given that Phantasy Star already a well known console franchise with console-friendly action-focused gameplay. Sega could position a western release (where console games are more popular than in Japan) for a console within a few months of launch - filling a unique genre niche which would bolster the game catalog of whichever company offered the best terms... meanwhile facing little to no direct competition.

Again, I wouldn't get your hopes up. There's no evidence or indication that Sega is planning anything other than exactly what they've announced their plans to be. All I'm saying is that if they were, hypothetically, actively pursuing a console release of PSO2... then waiting for the opportunities provided by a next generation launch cycle is the smart move to make. (Unfortunately, Sega doesn't make many smart moves, and when they do... they find a way to fuck it up brilliantly.)