PDA

View Full Version : Would a Kickstarter help get PSO 2 here faster? (US Version)

ChronoTrigga
Mar 17, 2013, 03:14 AM
This I wonder. If Veronica Mars can do it....perhaps Segac can.

blace
Mar 17, 2013, 03:20 AM
They would have to show interest in it and they most likely don't need it seeing as they're one of the industries biggest gaming companies.

That and I doubt feeding Sega more money would probably result in PSO2 JP getting more content instead of them putting out PSO2 out in the west any faster.

May0
Mar 17, 2013, 03:40 AM
Well sega last I heard pulled in 2 million in profits from PSO2 a month or so ago so PSO2 definitely isn't a money sink. Profit wise I don't think they're ahead right now but a lot of companies operate in the red nowadays so that's nothing to get excited about.

If you want to spread awareness for PSO2 you can set up a kickstarter for it and send all the donations to a charity like Child's Play (http://www.childsplaycharity.org/) or something similar. This course of action won't end up further lining sega exec's pockets with gold, although it can be argued you're doing it indirectly via the advertising but I'm not gonna split hairs here.

It would take some creativity but you could make a video or some kind of promotional materials for PSO2 and ask everyone to pledge a dollar or so to the charity if they agree with your sentiment. The game will be released no matter what so I wouldn't worry that it not being released if that's why you want to make it. As for making it happen faster I imagine they're sticking to the Gabe doctrine of "Its done when its done."

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 17, 2013, 05:14 AM
Besides that you would have to get sega to agree to it.

Kion
Mar 17, 2013, 07:10 AM
There'a petition circling, people have been trying to contact sega in anyway they can, emailing SoA, tweeting, player form, message boards, showing up at SoJ. No one has actually gotten a response. So it's really anyone's guess as to what the hell is going on with the NA release.

Jungo Torii
Mar 17, 2013, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure funding is really the problem for Sega regarding a North American or International release.

...There's really not any good reason it isn't here yet though as far as I can tell.

Kion
Mar 17, 2013, 08:40 AM
Most localization should only take a couple of months in terms of translation (and it's likely already finished). The only educated guess I can make is that they were using the Japanese version to sort out any problems with the games mechanics to fix before moving on to other areas (Likely wishful thinking). The problem isn't when it's going to come out exactly (although the lack of any information is definitely disheartening), it's more that when it comes out if it's actually getting any support.

BIG OLAF
Mar 17, 2013, 08:58 AM
Besides that you would have to get sega to agree to it.

Which is exactly why it won't work. SEGA never accepts any 'help', whether they need it or not*.

*they need it

daniel98
Mar 17, 2013, 09:15 AM
isn't Kickstarter for kickstarting stuff?

PSO2 is already a (...kind of) finished game, and SEGA is a huge wealthy corporation swimming in money

how would it fit into Kickstarter?

gigawuts
Mar 17, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'm pretty sure Sega has money.

Zeota
Mar 17, 2013, 10:56 AM
Sure SoJ does, but I'm not so sure about the rest of their branches given how many jobs they had to slash last year.

gigawuts
Mar 17, 2013, 11:03 AM
If they didn't slash the jobs they wouldn't have money. Companies don't slash jobs to break even, they slash jobs to keep money.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 17, 2013, 05:17 PM
isn't Kickstarter for kickstarting stuff?

PSO2 is already a (...kind of) finished game, and SEGA is a huge wealthy corporation swimming in money

how would it fit into Kickstarter?

go look into Veronica Mars and Warner Brothers

Which is exactly why it won't work. SEGA never accepts any 'help', whether they need it or not*.

*they need it

That was the implication :lol:

Finalzone
Mar 18, 2013, 01:26 AM
Most localization should only take a couple of months in terms of translation (and it's likely already finished). The only educated guess I can make is that they were using the Japanese version to sort out any problems with the games mechanics to fix before moving on to other areas (Likely wishful thinking).
I think that quote is likely. International version will mostly include Episode 1 and Episode 2 (Final Fantasy X1 got similar treatment when Square Enix also included Rise of Zilart for international release back then).

The problem isn't when it's going to come out exactly (although the lack of any information is definitely disheartening), it's more that when it comes out if it's actually getting any support.

Support is definitely the key which was the major weakness for previous Phantasy Star Universe Series (except maybe Xbox version). The Free to Play approach turned out an effective strategy to attrach more players. SEGA also should consider release the game on other platform like Mac and Linux (the Stream release on that system will force other publisher to scramble for the cake).