PDA

View Full Version : PAX East is this week and....

GtSaiyaMan
Mar 17, 2013, 08:03 PM
...i'm hopeful that Sega will announce something solid for a NA release date. I will be paying close attention to the gaming related sites this week..

ALSO..
any of you guys planning on making the trip to Boston to attend?

Alucadra
Mar 17, 2013, 08:10 PM
You and every other sane Phantasy Star fan. I have friends that are going and I've also personally requested a few youtubers to snoop around to see if they'll dig anything up. HOPEFULLY the release date is soon and they're going to sweep us off our feet at PAX.

ScottMalkinson
Mar 17, 2013, 08:18 PM
Fingers and toes are crossed :) ANY type of information will make me happy and i mean ANYTHING. ^ Tell your friends to grill Sega reps hard. If it comes down to water boarding them you have my full support

Horo The Wise Wolf
Mar 17, 2013, 08:24 PM
They'll announce something...

That they are dropping the NA release.

Gardios
Mar 17, 2013, 08:27 PM
They wouldn't announce a cancellation at an event like that lol

...then again, SEGA.

ScottMalkinson
Mar 17, 2013, 08:41 PM
They'll announce something...

That they are dropping the NA release.

i wouldnt even care about that. At least then we'd all have an answer either JP servers or bust.

gigawuts
Mar 17, 2013, 08:59 PM
They wouldn't announce a cancellation at an event like that lol

...then again, SEGA.

They're just going to announce PSO3 or PSU2.

It'll be Left 4 Dead 2 all over again.

"We have a very special announcement for fans of Left 4 Dead!"

"Oh maybe they'll finally make the first DLC!"

/trailer ends with Left 4 Dead 2

areyoufuckingkiddingme

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 17, 2013, 09:00 PM
Hello everyone
SEGA here at PAX East, with wonderful Phantasy Star news!

You've all been waiting for it, and we're proud to announce that..

We're canning PSO2 International, get lost

But not to worry, we have something to cheer you up!

Sonic Jump 2!
Something like that

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 17, 2013, 10:16 PM
I'll be headed to PAX East as well this week, but is Sega even going to be there?

yoshiblue
Mar 17, 2013, 10:20 PM
PAX East: Came for Sega, stayed for Torn Banner.

Meta77
Mar 17, 2013, 11:05 PM
Even if they do annnounce it....my love of pso is almost as great as my love of women.. But unless they update a lot like the jp servers eh. Remember psu and updates :p

Bowzer
Mar 17, 2013, 11:29 PM
Why is everyone saying there going to cancel it? There not stop freaking out and jumping to conclusions give them time it takes a while to convert anything to a different language: all the text in game, voice overs, and not to mention all of the weapons and just everything! Give them time they said 2013 they still have 9 months...

yoshiblue
Mar 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
Even if it gets canceled, i'm sure the fanbase can pull together a dub team.

gigawuts
Mar 17, 2013, 11:38 PM
Even if it gets canceled, i'm sure the fanbase can pull together a dub team.

They wouldn't skimp on it either, the kind of fans who would put together something like that would care a lot more about PS than just another guy working for a paycheck.

I'd actually like to see a fan dub a lot more than I'd like to see an official dub.

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 18, 2013, 12:07 AM
Why is everyone saying there going to cancel it? There not stop freaking out and jumping to conclusions give them time it takes a while to convert anything to a different language: all the text in game, voice overs, and not to mention all of the weapons and just everything! Give them time they said 2013 they still have 9 months...

Taking us seriously

kkow
Mar 18, 2013, 12:29 AM
It'll be Left 4 Dead 2 all over again.

"We have a very special announcement for fans of Left 4 Dead!"

"Oh maybe they'll finally make the first DLC!"

/trailer ends with Left 4 Dead 2

areyoufuckingkiddingme
I remember being very angry about this. Thanks for bringing up bad memories again.

Shirai
Mar 18, 2013, 12:53 AM
Ah, didn't now it was this week...
Sadly, I don't have the time to attend it.

Who knows, maybe they will. Doubt it though.

Mopop
Mar 18, 2013, 12:58 AM
People still care about the NA release? I'd rather them scrap it and make AC easier to buy for foreigners. I'm pretty sure an American company wouldn't discriminate against anyone's money.

Alisha
Mar 18, 2013, 01:16 AM

the original pso says otherwise

ohai quests released st the same time on both servers in all available languages.

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 18, 2013, 01:25 AM

Actually, they originally said "early 2013." "Early" is as vague as vague can get, and a majority of people are rather discouraged that "early" isn't "early" enough. So... Yeah.

OT: If they show up at PAX it'd be nice, but I want to know what *new* stuff they'll bring to the table.

Blackheart521
Mar 18, 2013, 01:28 AM
Actually, they originally said "early 2013." "Early" is as vague as vague can get, and a majority of people are rather discouraged that "early" isn't "early" enough. So... Yeah.

OT: If they show up at PAX it'd be nice, but I want to know what *new* stuff they'll bring to the tablew.

Honestly, IF they do show up it'll probably just be some Caterdra'n or Vol Dragon Gameplay stands or a trailer with those in it. ^^;

Coatl
Mar 18, 2013, 01:28 AM
I can see it now.

NA PSO2..Coming early december 28th 2013.

Naji23
Mar 18, 2013, 02:15 AM
For me early 2013 has passed already, i should learn their language. feeling like a freak, i look everyday if they´re any news about an release date. wonder if they release how the support is going to be lol

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 18, 2013, 06:55 AM
Based on previous articles online it looks like Sega's fiscal year doesn't end until the end of March. By this token they don't consider 2013 to be 2013 until April. By that language "early" 2013 hasn't even started yet.

Alucard V
Mar 18, 2013, 07:05 AM
The only announcement I expect to hear from SoA is " Do to dissapointing sales of (Game X) in the West there are no plans to release Phantasy Star Online 2".

A/E PSP2I all over again.

Deftry
Mar 18, 2013, 07:28 AM
It's coming people! I can feel it in my circuitry

jooozek
Mar 18, 2013, 08:00 AM
the only thing that stated "early" in this PSO2 clusterfuck was the news from PSO-W, sega never said "early 2013", they've said "2013"

Zipzo
Mar 18, 2013, 08:20 AM
the only thing that stated "early" in this PSO2 clusterfuck was the news from PSO-W, sega never said "early 2013", they've said "2013"

No...

You think the PSO-W admins would make up something as significant as a release time frame if it didn't come from SEGA's mouth? Gimme what you're smoking.

jooozek
Mar 18, 2013, 08:24 AM
No...

You think the PSO-W admins would make up something as significant as a release time frame if it didn't come from SEGA's mouth? Gimme what you're smoking.

whoever said they made something up? it was a mistake that was fixed instantly
what are you smoking?
edit: oh wait, they didn't, it still says "early 2013" lulz
that makes no sense anyway as the news on the SEGA blog never did use the word "early"

Coatl
Mar 18, 2013, 08:49 AM
We must all be smoking something uncanny if we are this anxious to see Sega disappoint us again.

~Aya~
Mar 18, 2013, 08:53 AM
Sega: Oh, sorry.. that last digit was a typo. NA PSO2 coming early 2014 Sorry about that. LULZ.

Kion
Mar 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
We must all be smoking something uncanny if we are this anxious to see Sega disappoint us again.

I really wouldn't care if they canceled it. I just want to know what the fuck is going on. I mean they don't respond to twitter, facebook, message boards, no blog, no status update, it's like they're in another dimension.

Deftry
Mar 18, 2013, 09:53 AM
Jeff 'Giant Bomb' Gertsmann is on the case, so I know everything will be alright. ^^;

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 11:50 AM

Mmm, I can't wait. Pick me up just to drop me; my heart is your plaything, Sega~

Please, just one more taste of your boot...

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 18, 2013, 12:17 PM
whoever said they made something up? it was a mistake that was fixed instantly
what are you smoking?
edit: oh wait, they didn't, it still says "early 2013" lulz
that makes no sense anyway as the news on the SEGA blog never did use the word "early"

Oooh~
Well in that case I do apologize for the spread of inaccurate information.
It's a shame that it's only a misquote by PSO-W.

DS23
Mar 18, 2013, 12:18 PM
I'm fairly certain they initally said 'early 2013' but when they showed the game at PAX last year when asked their rep said 'sometime in 2013' soo the 'early' part of 2013 was removed a while a go but since that's what was initially said everyone's clung to that expectation. How many of you currently playing would abandon your teammates/friends at this point anyway?

Merumeru
Mar 18, 2013, 12:28 PM
X3 I'm prepared to be disappointed; of course, that also allows me to be delightfully surprised. <3

HandOfThornz
Mar 18, 2013, 01:18 PM
Back on topic, i've been keeping an eye out for exhibitor lists for Pax East 2013 and here is (I think) the final list:
http://mrtechnologynerd.com/2013/03/11/pax-east-2013-floor-plan-and-exhibitor-list/

SEGA or Koch (SEGA's distribution company) are not mentioned! :(
This makes me think that the only way PSO2 will get announced at PAX is if they are piggy backing another companies stand. e.g. maybe they have done a deal with NVidia? (like PSO2 JP with Alienware/Dell)

I'm hoping that the list I've linked is not the final list, but with less than a week till PAX, i'm starting to doubt SEGA are at Pax East with they're own stand :(

Does anyone have any confirmed info that SEGA are at Pax East?

Shadowth117
Mar 18, 2013, 01:20 PM
Regardless of when it comes, its going to be very funny when they neglect to advertise it as usual and only the more dedicated international fans that can't stand the Japanese version play it.

pso2love
Mar 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
Oooh~
Well in that case I do apologize for the spread of inaccurate information.
It's a shame that it's only a misquote by PSO-W.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2926540&postcount=126

However, later on at PAX 2012, if you watch the video of the Dev being interviewed, he does say "Sometime in 2013".

Regardless of when it comes, its going to be very funny when they neglect to advertise it as usual and only the more dedicated international fans that can't stand the Japanese version play it.

I hope this won't be the case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk Oh how I wish SEGA learned their lesson.

Kondibon
Mar 18, 2013, 01:58 PM
I hope this won't be the case. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk Oh how I wish SEGA learned their lesson.

Watching that now feels so weird. For a moment I actually felt hype of a game that officially went offline years ago.

ScottMalkinson
Mar 18, 2013, 02:02 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2926540&postcount=126

However, later on at PAX 2012, if you watch the video of the Dev being interviewed, he does say "Sometime in 2013".

I hope this won't be the case. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk Oh how I wish SEGA learned their lesson.

That video brought back so many memories. I remember walking into my friends room after school one day in 2000 and watching him play and being like "wait what do u mean thats an actual person playing with you!" i was hooked from that point on

pso2love
Mar 18, 2013, 02:12 PM
Watching that now feels so weird. For a moment I actually felt hype of a game that officially went offline years ago.

I don't see why they can't do that with PSO2 West... except that it would hopefully stay online longer.

"Whenever you want"
Nice... I'll just boot this up and... WHAT? Server shut down 6 years ago? v.v

"Whatever you want"
Oh, let me use my gameshark to level up to 200, and reverse engineer resta so I can player kill, and take their loot.... And SEGA's support team will never know... >:)

yoshiblue
Mar 18, 2013, 02:23 PM
The trailer, it was beautiful.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae196/gokkuro/brbcrying.gif

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 02:35 PM
Yes, loved that trailer. Still love it today, cheesiness and all. They really should produce a new version for PSO2.

Deftry
Mar 18, 2013, 03:40 PM
Haha, oh wow. Nostalgia, indeed.

Also, I wish Sega would re-introduce .beats, just for giggles.

Sierhiet
Mar 18, 2013, 04:07 PM
It is interesting; what once were marketing ploys for such an amazing experience, now seem to be huge problems. How they indicate a means to overcome the language barrier. Global accessibility. Ect.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5y65bL1ik1qjehm8.gif

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 04:13 PM
Someone needs to remake that trailer for PSO2

INTERNET, THE WHOLE CONTINENT, ITEM EXCHANGE (for premium users), INTERNET, JAPANESE SUPERIORITY, NO INFORMATION EXCHANGE FROM SEGA OF AMERICA

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 04:14 PM
If they were to show that exact trailer and just relaunch PSO1 (DC, GC, or BB) as F2P with paid trading they'd probably still make a shitload of money.

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 04:16 PM
What about with split region servers and no auto-translating chat macros?

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 04:21 PM
Eh, a bit less money maybe.

I really feel like I missed something great back when eliminating language barriers and playing with people form other countries was "cool" so companies played that up as a strength. Technological feats were in and of themselves a selling point.

Shit, I still think it's cool what PS did at the time. It's just not as groundbreaking anymore. There's also that the broader audience they want to appeal to now does not feel that way. It's almost a bit telling of the times, but not really. The broader audience never care about that sort of thing, just us nerds.

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 04:28 PM
It would still be pretty mind blowing to have a game everyone anywhere could play at the same time with minimal communication issues. It just doesn't happen and isn't worth designing nowadays.

The most you can do is join a "central" European or Asian server with a hacked up localized client, fight through the lag, and machine translate the chat both ways.

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 04:37 PM
Well, PS had a shortcut chat system that would do exactly that. You would select certain words and a code would be sent to other players, not the actual text. Each region's version of the game would have different text associated with the received code. Using the shortcut chat meant the other people would always understand what you said, in their game's language.

Stuff like that was the kind of novel design that was a "cool" factor. It was something people would think up, but almost nobody would actually do because of this reason or that. Yes, the reasons for not relying on it have validity - that a system like that can't convey complex thoughts, that it's a bit gimmicky, etc. - but it was still there and it was better than no system at all. It did allow levels of communication between players. Considering that it predated google translate and other comparable translation resources (don't even try to say anything around at the time was even remotely as good as what we have now, if they even offered japanese at all), it was a pretty cool thing for people who would want to play that sort of game.

But now everything has to be region locked, or have something in the TOS about needing to be in the correct region. Enforced or not, the clause is pretty much always there. Only a handful of games ignore that, and the sort of people that that would appeal to DO play those games in droves, but they don't have anything ingame to help with language barriers or anything. You still need out of game resources for that.

Sierhiet's right. What was once a major selling point as "woah, look what you can do here!" is now a hazard.

Anatha
Mar 18, 2013, 04:37 PM
People still care about the NA release? I'd rather them scrap it and make AC easier to buy for foreigners. I'm pretty sure an American company wouldn't discriminate against anyone's money.

They would if they weren't getting the goddamn money to begin with.
Which is exactly why foreign cards are no longer accepted.

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 05:10 PM
Well, PS had a shortcut chat system that would do exactly that. You would select certain words and a code would be sent to other players, not the actual text. Each region's version of the game would have different text associated with the received code. Using the shortcut chat meant the other people would always understand what you said, in their game's language.

It was amazing to use. You'd be all like

"hey guys lets do a quest"

"[Hello, how are you?]"

"Oh shit I'm playing with Jackie Chan over here [I am good.] [Let's have fun!]"

"[Help!] [Help!] [Help!] :rappy::fire::evil: *roar*"

but now it's like
"algn br?"

"fukkin br"

"ptm"

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 05:12 PM
"hey guys lets do a quest"

"[Hello, how are you?]"

"Oh shit I'm playing with Jackie Chan over here [I am good.] [Let's have fun!]"

"[Help!] [Help!] [Help!] :rappy::fire::evil: *roar*"

I actually lolled because that is exactly what we would do with it.

But yeah, it just wouldn't be the same in a modern setting. The novelty has worn off, and gamers at large don't care. Foreigners are now an inconvenience.

Noxia
Mar 18, 2013, 05:50 PM
Neither PSO2 or SEGA are mentioned on the PAX Schedule ;_;
i can't believe they managed to remain silent for months.....

reptile7383
Mar 18, 2013, 06:21 PM
They would if they weren't getting the goddamn money to begin with.
Which is exactly why foreign cards are no longer accepted.

Its not that hard for a large, multinational corporation to handle foreign cards. Sega is either lazy or they don't think we are worth it

Anatha
Mar 18, 2013, 06:35 PM
Really? Because that's what was happening, and no you're mistaken if you think the companies handle that stuff in house.

It's outsourced to a third party, and apparently said third party wasn't doing too well handling foreign cards, because SEGA lost money whenever a foreign card got used.

You're REALLY mistaken if you think it's personal. It's strictly business, they didn't get their money when foreign cards were used to buy AC.

It isn't intelligent to let people steal from a publicly traded company.

reptile7383
Mar 18, 2013, 07:01 PM
I never said it wasn't what happened, only that if they actually cared about us they would have fixed it, not completely removed it.

You can actually use a American credit cards in many places in Japan. Do you actually think that a corporation that has roots in western countries doesn't have the resources to find a way to handle foreign credit cards then you are mistaken.

SoJ only cares about SoJ otherwise we'd be able to play on english servers right now.

Deftry
Mar 18, 2013, 07:12 PM
Neither PSO2 or SEGA are mentioned on the PAX Schedule ;_;
i can't believe they managed to remain silent for months.....

Yeah, just notice this too. Consider my flummoxed... :-?

I'm happy with playing on the JP servers as an illegal, but I fear by the time Sega does announce the international release, no-one in the west will actually give a damn.

Laxedrane
Mar 18, 2013, 09:58 PM
It would still be pretty mind blowing to have a game everyone anywhere could play at the same time with minimal communication issues. It just doesn't happen and isn't worth designing nowadays.

The most you can do is join a "central" European or Asian server with a hacked up localized client, fight through the lag, and machine translate the chat both ways.

You would be right if this game wasn't very easy compared to even pso level of strategy. I've played FFXI and PSO series exclusively for MMOs and I have to say I personally prefer international servers. Means that there's no down time for people with odd hours(like me) or live in an odd time zone. As far as communicating I don't think it's an huge Issue.

PSO Build a phrase translation was spiffy but I feel it be a bit clunky in the faster battle system of this game.(Even in that game it was hazardous to use with enemies up.) But auto translate worked fine in XI. I had a friend I met in campaign that is Japanese and we spoke almost exclusively in auto translate. We were able to do campaign becuase we went in knowing what we were suppose to do and adapted to each other style without words. We check in on each other periodically until I quit bragging about items we got or just to say hi.

PSO2 even has one up on that front with symbol art. I've seen art to explain how to attack falz and map lay outs for emergency quests like the white day one out right now.

So while I don'[t think it would ever be a flawless execution I believe the phrase "if there a will, there's a way" applies. I remember JP and international players alike coming together to meet the requirements for Max attack 1 and 2 version 2 to get their black rings.

If you allow it to happen it will happen.(Also an actual GM service to deal with just absolute trolls would be nice to. Just so the worse part of an MMO doesn't ruin it for everyone else.)

GtSaiyaMan
Mar 18, 2013, 10:55 PM

..that kind of stuff doesn't take long at all (from a developer standpoint)..HOWEVER, my guess is that they are trying to figure out their business model here for the NA version. We are more picky with our funds. Setting up a US business model, as well as the infrastructure and employees for it could be what the holdup is. In any case, i am still very hopeful for an update. Let's all keep our heads up in the meantime!

Sizustar
Mar 18, 2013, 11:33 PM
..that kind of stuff doesn't take long at all (from a developer standpoint)..HOWEVER, my guess is that they are trying to figure out their business model here for the NA version. We are more picky with our funds. Setting up a US business model, as well as the infrastructure and employees for it could be what the holdup is. In any case, i am still very hopeful for an update. Let's all keep our heads up in the meantime!

And it's also possible that the AC scratch can be considered a form of gambling, thus presenting itself as more problem for Sega to sort thorugh, as each state? or is it the Federal goverment responsibility?

Kion
Mar 18, 2013, 11:58 PM
It could be that scratch tickets aren't legal, but that doesn't mean they can't just have a straight up cash shop.

Yden
Mar 18, 2013, 11:58 PM
And it's also possible that the AC scratch can be considered a form of gambling, thus presenting itself as more problem for Sega to sort thorugh, as each state? or is it the Federal goverment responsibility?

Nah, there are other online games that have randomized systems like that. A major example are the crates in TF2 that need keys to open, a system so infamous that VG Cats did a strip on it way back when.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=300

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 12:02 AM
It could be that scratch tickets aren't legal, but that doesn't mean they can't just have a straight up cash shop.

This is what I think they should do. Make a cash shop in addition to a purely non-cash but limited option.

Scratch and crates do not compare. Why? There are constantly new hats going into the game that are not unusual. There are no new outfits going into PSO2 that are not scratch. It's scratch or nothing. That has to change in the western release.

If PSO2 adopts TF2's exact model with free content and free, but limited over time, cosmetic items for anyone who plays, but more for people who pay money, I would be very happy with it. Grinding would also need tweaking 10*'s tradable from the get go yadda yadda, that's not really the topic being discussed.

UnLucky
Mar 19, 2013, 12:05 AM
Easy, 200 AC scratch tickets cost 400 FUN. 500 AC ones cannot be bought with FUN. 100 FUN scratch stays the same.

They can even keep the Scape Dolls the same price.

Yden
Mar 19, 2013, 12:12 AM
Scratch and crates do not compare. Why? There are constantly new hats going into the game that are not unusual. There are no new outfits going into PSO2 that are not scratch. It's scratch or nothing. That has to change in the western release.

They're both the same for the purposes of comparing them to gambling though. I'm not sure what the actually legal reason for it not being considered gambling but I assume it's just because goods are you're getting and not money.

If that's not enough for you then Megaten:Imagine has fortune cards, which is pretty much identical to the scratch. Dungeon Fighter Online used to have a gacha system before major community outcry got Nexon to change it (after like 2~3 years of service). I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I have personal experience with.

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 12:15 AM
Oh, no, I'm not talking about the legality of it. I'm sure they could finagle whatever they want to into the game. There's always a way. I'm talking about its reception and longevity.

Also, I think the reasoning for e-gambling being legal is the currency. You're not gambling real currency. You're gambling points. But, I could be wrong on that.

Alisha
Mar 19, 2013, 12:21 AM
i dont think it would be considered like gambling if you took away the ability to buy a single scratch. then it would be no different than buying a pack of cards.

Yden
Mar 19, 2013, 12:24 AM
Yea, the reception for gacha type systems have never been very good for the games I've played with them. Like I said, DFO got Nexon to change them but Megaten:Imagine had it for the entire period I played during the Aeria days. I'm not sure if Atlus changed how they worked but I remember Aeria running "specials" because people would dump $100+ for the outfit they wanted and draw nothing but crap the whole time. These specials pretty much were just spend enough money on the fortune cards (like $150 or something) and we'll give you the rare set if you didn't draw it. The worst part about these deals was that these outfit were the best armor in the game and you ended up buying power like this...

Anatha
Mar 19, 2013, 12:36 AM
If there is a state where scratch off tickets are illegal, I haven't been to it yet. You can buy them in literally every gas station.

The ones in PSO aren't even nearly as close to "gambling" as those are.

You can't win a dime in PSO by buying scratch. All you're buying is a chance at a pool of items. That is not gambling.

Valimer
Mar 19, 2013, 02:44 AM
I came across this comment on an MMO hut video posted about 12 hours ago

User - "Hey James, get some coverage on PSO2. It's gonna be there for sure!"

MMOHut - "Oh yeah, I'd planned on it... but I think Sega is mostly just doing mobile games there this year so not sure."

youtube.com/watch?v=GN17VkxmwZw

reminded me of this thread, thought I would share it.

blace
Mar 19, 2013, 02:57 AM

That comment is quite optimistic. From what I can see of PAX East's scheduled lineup, PSO2 isn't on that list or obscured into something else. Who knows, they might pull something off as a surprise... Hopefully.

Alucadra
Mar 19, 2013, 03:58 AM

I cry erytime

Laxedrane
Mar 19, 2013, 07:07 AM
I know FFXI got in trouble several times over mog bonanza. Which was essentially a lottery. However this was countries in Europe laws that got them in trouble. Not state-side. They had to adjust it several times to no avail. Eventually canceling it until they found the magic words almost a year later that allowed them to do it again and often.(Not sure what those words were becuase the event was exactly the same.) However yes, gambling could be an issue.

Gama
Mar 19, 2013, 07:18 AM

i blame the music....

GtSaiyaMan
Mar 19, 2013, 07:31 AM

i'm not too sure..but a company doesn't have to be listed as a presenter to have a presence at a Tradeshow. I'm still optimistic. If they don't announce anything at PAX East, there's GDC next week, then E3 right afterward sometime in June... i'm still hopeful though.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 07:39 AM
You can't win a dime in PSO by buying scratch. All you're buying is a chance at a pool of items. That is not gambling.

^This. At least by American laws anyways. To be gambling you need to be risking money against something of real monetary value. Virtual items in PSO2 don't fit that. Plus you always win something. This is why many other online games have similar systems like Runescapes Squeel of Fortune.

Z-0
Mar 19, 2013, 07:52 AM
I think you're missing the point. The problem is European laws, not American ones.

Because of them, the Game Corner in Pokémon Platinum was removed in European releases (well, not removed, but you couldn't play any of its games). I don't know the specifics, but it's to do something with promoting gambling in media, no matter what you're spending or what you're trying for.

PSO2 will break it moreso because it's real money being spent on virtual items, which is pretty much a big no-no already. Other games might use these systems outside of Asia, but they're not really allowed by European laws.

I might be missing something that makes PSO2's gacha quite legal in Europe, but even so, it's never a popular thing in the west anyway.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 07:57 AM
I think you're missing the point. The problem is European laws, not American ones.

Because of them, the Game Corner in Pokémon Platinum was removed in European releases (well, not removed, but you couldn't play any of its games). I don't know the specifics, but it's to do something with promoting gambling in media, no matter what you're spending or what you're trying for.

PSO2 will break it moreso because it's real money being spent on virtual items, which is pretty much a big no-no already. Other games might use these systems outside of Asia, but they're not really allowed by European laws.

Runescape is a European game, England actually, which is why I mentioned it.

Deftry
Mar 19, 2013, 08:00 AM
I bet Sega are having to fork out a load in legal fees to release this properly.

With there being so much red tape, I suppose all these legal considerations are what's causing them to take so long in releasing anything concrete.

Meji
Mar 19, 2013, 09:39 AM
I've played tons of other games that have something similar to the "AC Scratch", and I live in Europe (Sweden).
The problem with the Pokémon game was that Nintendo wanted to rate it "E for Everyone", which EU did not accept since it contained gambling.

Gambling is allowed in games here in Europe as long as they're form years 12 and up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_European_Game_Information).

Z-0
Mar 19, 2013, 12:10 PM
aha, I had a feeling I was missing something.

Thanks for that.

I wonder if PSO2 has an age rating somewhere...

Alisha
Mar 19, 2013, 01:12 PM
the vita version is cero 15

blace
Mar 19, 2013, 01:17 PM
As with the PC premium package.

Z-0
Mar 19, 2013, 01:18 PM
If that's the case, I 'd expect the Gacha in a Western release then.

...if we ever get one, that is.

Gardios
Mar 19, 2013, 01:46 PM
Gacha might be a problem for Germany since it's pretty much lotto—which would automatically make it 18+ here as far as I know.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure Runescape has German servers also. Your laws are probably the same as America where lotteries require the ability to win some with real value.

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 02:15 PM
Gacha might be a problem for Germany since it's pretty much lotto—which would automatically make it 18+ here as far as I know.

This is the main problem. Not just one or two countries' laws, but all of them outside of japan. This isn't just the western release. It's the international release.

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
I hate to use this as an example, but Maplestory EU is PEGI 7 and contains a gacha system. The gacha system will always give you an item, but the item may or may not be worth much depending on the item's popularity, in game market economy, rarity, etc.. Maybe you get a valuable equippable item, maybe you get common junk.

'sup with that?

Late edit: For further clarifaction, this gacha system is available on the KR, JP, SEA and NA servers and is not exclusive to EU alone.

Valimer
Mar 19, 2013, 02:20 PM
i'm not too sure..but a company doesn't have to be listed as a presenter to have a presence at a Tradeshow. I'm still optimistic. If they don't announce anything at PAX East, there's GDC next week, then E3 right afterward sometime in June... i'm still hopeful though.

Gosh, I hope they announce it before June. I figured months ago they would actually release it here in June, around the same time as the JP launch. Fingers crossed I guess.

Railkune
Mar 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
I hate to use this as an example, but Maplestory EU is PEGI 7 and contains a gacha system. The gacha system will always give you an item, but the item may or may not be worth much depending on the item's popularity, in game market economy, rarity, etc.. Maybe you get a valuable equippable item, maybe you get common junk.

'sup with that?

I was about to use that example actually.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 02:41 PM
This is the main problem. Not just one or two countries' laws, but all of them outside of japan. This isn't just the western release. It's the international release.

What country has a problem with it? As has been shown there are many online games with similar systems and are completely fine.

Also it should be noted that 'international' doesn't mean all countries. It means two or more countries. They only have to worry about laws in places that they plan to do business in.

~Aya~
Mar 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
I was told via twitter by SoA that it is coming and that they have no release date as of early Feb. That is the last I have heard of that. If they say that it's coming.. then it probably is. There must be something that they're waiting for.

Railkune
Mar 19, 2013, 02:52 PM
Well honestly, I'm not even bothered by the wait time. I'm contempt just knowing that's it's coming at all. Until it does, I'll just continue playing the Jap servers. Though, it's not like I have any intentions of leaving the current for the NA servers completely anyways.

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 02:56 PM
What country has a problem with it? As has been shown there are many online games with similar systems and are completely fine.

Also it should be noted that 'international' doesn't mean all countries. It means two or more countries. They only have to worry about laws in places that they plan to do business in.

Well, again, I'm not arguing the legality of it. Game companies have ways of finding loopholes to every law that may stand in their way. I more meant to stop cherry picking games that do this in one single country, or other games that do that in another single country - find one that uses the exact same system in every single country.

But that does raise another point. Do we even have a full, actual list of what countries this will be meant for, and then won't be supported outside of those countries?

Railkune
Mar 19, 2013, 03:03 PM
Good point. Now I'm wondering which countries SEGA typically conducts business at.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 03:04 PM
I'm sorry but if you can't name any country that we know has a problem with this system than you really can't say its the "main problem". Saying there *may* be a country somewhere that Sega plans to deal with *might* have a problem with this is just speculation.

As for finding an example thats the "exact same system in every single country", I'm guessing that's impossible, but as far as I know Runescape and Maplestory aren't banned in any major country.

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 03:13 PM
I'm sorry but if you can't name any country that we know has a problem with this system than you really can't say its the "main problem". Saying there *may* be a country somewhere that Sega plans to deal with *might* have a problem with this is just speculation.

As for finding an example thats the "exact same system in every single country", I'm guessing that's impossible, but as far as I know Runescape and Maplestory aren't banned in any major country.

"If you can't name one example your point is invalid, but if I can't name one example my point is totally valid"

:wacko:

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 03:21 PM
Thats not what I said and you know it.

You are making a positive statement saying that it is the problem which means you have the burden of proof. I'm am saying theres no known instances of it happening and it's just speculation at this point.

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 03:28 PM
Oh, I know it's not what you said, and you know what you said I said isn't what I said too. (The he said she said she said he said game is fun.)

I'm saying the issue is not individual cases tailored to regions, it's an individual case tailored to multiple regions. People can't go rattling off examples made for one country, they need to rattle off examples made for multiple countries.

I don't really care if they exist or not. You can't say something will work everywhere because this works here and that works there, but not with one working in both. Especially if we don't know where everywhere actually is.

UnLucky
Mar 19, 2013, 04:15 PM
We all know full well that Sega is going to use the closest thing to real gambling as legally possible, and anything we say about it will never reach their deaf ears.

Railkune
Mar 19, 2013, 04:22 PM
We all know full well that Sega is going to use the closest thing to real gambling as legally possible, and anything we say about it will never reach their deaf ears.

I can't tell if that's a positive thing, or a negative one lol.

Kondibon
Mar 19, 2013, 04:24 PM

'sup with that?

This is actually a good way of putting it. Is it really gambling if you always get something?

Personally I don't like things like Gachas and Scratches either, especially for 90% of the good stuff. I'd rather pay a flat amount for something. But I've seen international games get away with it and as long as they can, then they're going to.

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 19, 2013, 04:41 PM
This is actually a good way of putting it. Is it really gambling if you always get something?

Personally I don't like things like Gachas and Scratches either, especially for 90% of the good stuff. I'd rather pay a flat amount for something. But I've seen international games get away with it and as long as they can, then they're going to.

I lean more on the side of no than I do yes. When I think of gambling I expect to either win or lose. When I mess with gacha I either win little or win big.

I've been messing with gachapon since I was a kid. Those little quarter machines you see in grocery stores a basically a type of gacha. The toys are advertised on the machine itself, but are you 100% certain you'll get toy X over toy Y? Nope. You might get toy Z instead. At this point you either keep trying or give up.

That's my take on it.

Edit: I think they also get away with it because the virtual currency has no cash value in game.

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 04:45 PM
I lean more on the side of no than I do yes. When I think of gambling I expect to either win or lose. When I mess with gacha I either win little or win big.

I've been messing with gachapon since I was a kid. Those little quarter machines you see in grocery stores a basically a type of gacha. The toys are advertised on the machine itself, but are you 100% certain you'll get toy X over toy Y? Nope. You might get toy Z instead. At this point you either keep trying or give up.

That's my take on it.

You don't win anything.

You buy 150k meseta or you buy 5m meseta.

You are not winning. You are not losing. You are buying a mystery box and aren't sure what is inside, but you're damn sure it's worth a minimum of whatever people are willing to pay eight times for a 20% affix booster, and if it's a bikini or whatever valuable chick item it is that's available, much much more.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
I'm saying the issue is not individual cases tailored to regions, it's an individual case tailored to multiple regions. People can't go rattling off examples made for one country, they need to rattle off examples made for multiple countries.

Runescape is literally the same system plus a free 'spin' everyday and it IS made for multiple regions. I don't undestand what more you want :-?

You can't say something will work everywhere because this works here and that works there, but not with one working in both. Especially if we don't know where everywhere actually is.

I don't think anybodies has said that.

gigawuts
Mar 19, 2013, 04:50 PM
Runescape is literally the same system plus a free 'spin' everyday and it IS made for multiple regions. I don't undestand what more you want :-?

That was what I wanted.

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 19, 2013, 04:52 PM
You don't win anything.

You buy 150k meseta or you buy 5m meseta.

You are not winning. You are not losing. You are buying a mystery box and aren't sure what is inside, but you're damn sure it's worth a minimum of whatever people are willing to pay eight times for a 20% affix booster, and if it's a bikini or whatever valuable chick item it is that's available, much much more.

Essentially, yes. 'Win' was a poor excuse of word choice on my part. My apologies.

Poubelle
Mar 19, 2013, 04:53 PM
I absolutely despise the AC scratch system.

Paying real money for a CHANCE at getting a VIRTUAL OUTFIT you want? Please!

I would never use it, but it kind of makes me feel sick to know that other people are.

By the way, I'm pretty sure it would be totally legal in the US. but I have to wonder if US gamers would put up with it. I feel like Japanese otaku kind of eat up whatever shit these companies feed them.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 04:55 PM
I absolutely despise the AC scratch system.

Paying real money for a CHANCE at getting a VIRTUAL OUTFIT you want? Please!

I would never use it, but it kind of makes me feel sick to know that other people are.

Its that that bad since everybody else can just buy the outfit from player shops. Its more like you are buying mesta and sometimes that mesta is converted instantly into an outfit you want :-P

Poubelle
Mar 19, 2013, 05:00 PM
Those player shops are run by players, so no matter what they are coming from the gacha.

Like I said, I don't use it. It's just kind of settling to see all those player shops filled with costumes and know that many DO use it.

reptile7383
Mar 19, 2013, 05:15 PM
Would you have a problem if the scratch just paid out money?

Yden
Mar 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
By the way, I'm pretty sure it would be totally legal in the US. but I have to wonder if US gamers would put up with it. I feel like Japanese otaku kind of eat up whatever shit these companies feed them.

They do and have put up with it....well kinda. The majority of people who play games with systems like this complain to hell about it but there are smaller minority who dump massive amounts of money into it. In Megaten:imagine, while it was run by Aeria, I saw multiple people claiming the pretty much monthly specials (or maybe it as biweekly) that required you to spend something like $150 on the fortune cards to get the outfit they wanted because they hadn't drawn it before reaching that limit.

Kion
Mar 19, 2013, 06:46 PM
I was told via twitter by SoA that it is coming and that they have no release date as of early Feb. That is the last I have heard of that. If they say that it's coming.. then it probably is. There must be something that they're waiting for.

Yeah, the things about that is:
[spoiler-box]
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23005008/PSO2%20Screenshots/pso20130319_120343_001.png
[/spoiler-box]

Look at it, I mean the game's already pretty much in freaking english. It really surprises me that the company that made the game can't keep up with the support offered by a few fans working on the game in their free time.

Noblewine
Mar 19, 2013, 06:52 PM
I hope to get some news but I'm just enjoying looking at the screenshot to pass time. Its really tempting to play on the JP server.

~Aya~
Mar 19, 2013, 07:03 PM
Is it odd that I feel a sense of pride and yearning when I go to the NA website and listen to the music while watchig the video of the arks lobby? I always thought that this would be the time for SoA to redeem themselves and present this game to people everywhere outside of Japan.

I hope the wait is worth it. I don't want to leave the jp servers and I won't.. However, I am not interested in potentially having my account locked at random be it a reason such as being foreign, blamed, mistaken. Love PSO2

Kion
Mar 19, 2013, 07:31 PM
Is it odd that I feel a sense of pride and yearning when I go to the NA website and listen to the music while watchig the video of the arks lobby? I always thought that this would be the time for SoA to redeem themselves and present this game to people everywhere outside of Japan.

I hope the wait is worth it. I don't want to leave the jp servers and I won't.. However, I am not interested in potentially having my account locked at random be it a reason such as being foreign, blamed, mistaken. Love PSO2

Turns out it's not only us though. I just ran into a bunch of blogs of Japanese players who got banned incidentally for being in parties with RMTers.

~Aya~
Mar 19, 2013, 07:33 PM
Turns out it's not only us though. I just ran into a bunch of blogs of Japanese players who got banned incidentally for being in parties with RMTers.

There it is. That seals the deal.

Sizustar
Mar 19, 2013, 07:35 PM

And there's also a large number of Chinese user that are banned, claiming they didn't buy RMT...

But the last announcement was that 97 account was banned due to RMT related issue.
http://pso2.jp/players/support/measures/?charid=i_20130318

~Aya~
Mar 19, 2013, 07:37 PM
And there's also a large number of Chinese user that are banned, claiming they didn't buy RMT...

But the last announcement was that 97 account was banned due to RMT related issue.
http://pso2.jp/players/support/measures/?charid=i_20130318

I was one of those lucky 97. Hurray!! *goes back to corner and curls up.* it wikl be okay.. it will be okay.........

Kion
Mar 19, 2013, 07:41 PM
I could be that Sega is just a sucky service provider. I mean people bitched about EA handling Sim City poorly. If only they knew....

Sizustar
Mar 19, 2013, 07:43 PM
I was one of those lucky 97. Hurray!! *goes back to corner and curls up.* it wikl be okay.. it will be okay.........

Your best option is to contact Sega, and request more information on the reasoning of your ban.
https://ssl.pso2.jp/players/support/inquiry/?mode=inquiry

Please don't send the question in English or such.
I've heard about a Japanese user that was 816ed, and after contacting Sega, they sorted out the situation and allowed him access back to his account.

http://ameblo.jp/momo-pso2/entry-11436136903.html

~Aya~
Mar 19, 2013, 07:45 PM
Your best option is to contact Sega, and request more information on the reasoning of your ban.
https://ssl.pso2.jp/players/support/inquiry/?mode=inquiry

Please don't send the question in English or such.
I've heard about a Japanese user that was 816ed, and after contacting Sega, they sorted out the situation and allowed him access back to his account.

http://ameblo.jp/momo-pso2/entry-11436136903.html

I sent 2 support tickets in kanji.

But thank you very much for that.. i will do that as well.

Poubelle
Mar 19, 2013, 07:51 PM
I seriously hope you're fluent in Japanese or you got help before sending a support ticket.

Lostbob117
Mar 19, 2013, 07:56 PM
Oh watch them release a demo for the NA/EU during PAX or at least announce one.

Gardios
Mar 19, 2013, 08:16 PM
I doubt the problem is the translation at this point, might be servers/infrastructure/international stuff.

Poubelle
Mar 19, 2013, 08:17 PM
Maybe the gameplay isn't up to par.

~Aya~
Mar 19, 2013, 08:23 PM
I seriously hope you're fluent in Japanese or you got help before sending a support ticket.

Don't worry. It's fine.. I appreciate your concern ♥♥

Poubelle
Mar 19, 2013, 09:16 PM
No problem. The issue is that Chinese RMT sites use broken Japanese, so if you used a translator or something in a ticket, it could make whoever reads it very suspicious.

~Aya~
Mar 19, 2013, 09:18 PM
No problem. The issue is that Chinese RMT sites use broken Japanese, so if you used a translator or something in a ticket, it could make whoever reads it very suspicious.

Understandable. Although i dont believe RMT would send in a ticket let alone buy a ton of AC.. they can see my history on my acct
easily.

MSG I am getting atm when attempting to log into PSO2 Sega ID account on the website for those who are curious or have had the same thing happen to them. 606 error code.

SEGA IDの認証に失敗しました。
このSEGA IDは使用停止中です。ログインすることはできません。
お問い合わせ先はファンタシースターオンライン2公式サイトをご参照ください。

Meta77
Mar 20, 2013, 09:27 PM
RMTers what are they and how can I avoid them in the future :/

GtSaiyaMan
Mar 20, 2013, 10:11 PM
lol...politics, whats considered gambling and all the other mess aside..i just REALLY want the game to be released. i plan on subscribing to the game, as well as supporting it via micro-transactions.. that simple.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 12:01 PM
Just a heads up. Sega has confirmed they are not attending Pax East this year via Twitter. Here is hoping to some information regardless.

Macman
Mar 22, 2013, 12:34 PM
Ha ha ha, they're just trying so hard to avoid people right now.

UnLucky
Mar 22, 2013, 12:37 PM
SEGA ‏@SEGA 38m

@iyeru No, we are not at PAX East this year.

XFD CRANKED

PSO2 NA/EU cancelled

Punisher106
Mar 22, 2013, 12:48 PM
Welp, telling my friends who are waiting for the NA release. RIP hopes of NA PSO2.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 01:03 PM
The yearning for a failure to launch by some of you is seriously daunting. Game is still coming, and there isn't any implication otherwise.

blace
Mar 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
You must be new here - The rest of us expect failure from SEGAUS because it's all we've ever gotten.
You also have to remember that it's being lead by SoJ. Production of a product not within its native region, is determined by the main branch.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
You must be new here

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc66lifIOV1qevqc5.gif

Tenlade
Mar 22, 2013, 01:15 PM
Because hearing it fail and just being done would it would be the better solution at this point. The US release will be so late it will be far behind JP if not also completely messed up like PSU and made worse.

Plus it will just result in english players being split on the JP and international versions, and if it will be anything like block 20 on ship 2, I'm avoiding it like the plague and staying on JP.

UnLucky
Mar 22, 2013, 01:22 PM

So just willfully ignorant, then

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
Because hearing it fail and just being done would it would be the better solution at this point. The US release will be so late it will be far behind JP if not also completely messed up like PSU and made worse.

Plus it will just result in english players being split on the JP and international versions, and if it will be anything like block 20 on ship 2, I'm avoiding it like the plague and staying on JP.

You are speaking for yourself in terms of preference of community. The launch isn't going to be anything like PSU's aside from a later release because Microsoft isn't involved, and we are now PC based which could easily result in an easier flow of content. There isn't going to be a split either. You have a decent fraction of the foriegn community of players at best playing JP. I think some of you are grossly overestimating, and confusing it with the vocal majority here.

So just willfully ignorant, then

Rather, not forcefully misinformed and pessimistic. The way you throw shade on everything US/EU release related would be the equivalent of someone constantly bringing up the prospects of an IP ban. (Which is not that farfetched considering our Chinese counterparts. It is actually more likely then a cancellation.) No one wants that either, so what exactly is your point?

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 01:34 PM
The yearning for a failure to launch by some of you is seriously daunting. Game is still coming, and there isn't any implication otherwise.

I think people either want it done right, or want it done so horribly wrong that they're forced to fall back on the JP server as a de facto international server.

"Done right" entails westernizing a lot of the RNG features (doubtful), making affixing either more skill-based or SOMEHOW less chance-based (doubtul), releasing with more content (doubtful), etc... A sort of testing bed for fixes they can't or won't do in the JP version.

So they say fuck it and just skip to option B.

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 22, 2013, 01:35 PM
If I had to guess what's going to happen at this point Sega may be planning to keep the US/EU version 1 "Expansion" behind the JP version. If that's the case we won't hear anything about localization until after chapter 10 releases.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 01:41 PM
I think people either want it done right, or want it done so horribly wrong that they're forced to fall back on the JP server as a de facto international server.

"Done right" entails westernizing a lot of the RNG features (doubtful), making affixing either more skill-based or SOMEHOW less chance-based (doubtul), releasing with more content (doubtful), etc... A sort of testing bed for fixes they can't or won't do in the JP version.

So they say fuck it and just skip to option B.

At this point, I'm not even sure why they care. If the JP taskforce is so militant in never coming back, then what exactly is the purpose of wishing death on something you say you will never be involved in, outside of being obnoxious? It's ridiculous at this point.

I agree on the "done right" implication, but I disagree on the merits, and so do most of the other players waiting it out.

Tenlade
Mar 22, 2013, 01:56 PM
You are speaking for yourself in terms of preference of community. The launch isn't going to be anything like PSU's aside from a later release because Microsoft isn't involved, and we are now PC based which could easily result in an easier flow of content. There isn't going to be a split either. You have a decent fraction of the foreign community of players at best playing JP. I think some of you are grossly overestimating, and confusing it with the vocal majority here.

Microsoft wasnt involved in the PC and ps2 versions, didn't stop them from being equally horrible. and could easily result, doesn't mean it will.

also , I personally want to see it cancelled, so people will shut up about it instead of talking about it for months and months.

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 02:03 PM
At this point, I'm not even sure why they care. If the JP taskforce is so militant in never coming back, then what exactly is the purpose of wishing death on something you say you will never be involved in, outside of being obnoxious? It's ridiculous at this point.

I agree on the "done right" implication, but I disagree on the merits, and so do most of the other players waiting it out.

Either they very very badly need validation from the world about being right about a video game (as opposed to getting a promotion, pay raise, good grade, etc.), or their hope is that if the EN version fails then the JP version will need to be improved.

I don't think it matters. Even if it fails initially I doubt they'll change much, and will just keep it up because shutting it down would be HORRIBLE for their image. As much as I want to see the current model imported 1:1 so it can crash and burn, which would force Sega to basically revamp the entire game only to see it suddenly blossom and make them wonder if they should bring the changes back to the JP version, I don't think that will happen in the real world. If it crashes and burns at launch it will probably never take off, which will directly hurt Sega's future prospects because they are indeed in need of profits. PSO2 EN has potential to do very very good things for Sega, but also very very bad things.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
Microsoft wasnt involved in the PC and ps2 versions, didn't stop them from being equally horrible. and could easily result, doesn't mean it will.

PS2/PC content schedule was contractually tethered to Xbox's by default. We received content simultaneously, and anything that effected one side, effected the other with the exception of rollbacks. If that weren't the case, PS2/PC would have been ahead.

Either they very very badly need validation from the world about being right about a video game (as opposed to getting a promotion, pay raise, good grade, etc.), or their hope is that if the EN version fails then the JP version will need to be improved.

Probably the former. I cannot see the effects of a failed foreign launch to have any immediate positive changes on the native release.

reptile7383
Mar 22, 2013, 02:19 PM
ahh, more generalizations I see. Seems like a popular theme on these forums.

UnLucky
Mar 22, 2013, 03:02 PM

Basically this.

I want, so much, for a good international release.

But if it is in any way similar to any of their other international releases, it won't be done right.

Right now I have no reason to believe any version would equal or surpass the current JP server. I do, however, have much basis for logical speculation on a non-JP server being inferior in at least some sense.

If the NA/EU release sucks horribly, more people will reluctantly switch to the JP server instead of waiting it out as they are now. This way we get the community of a localized release as well as the content of the original. Everything that a decent international version should have.

Now, if they took it in another direction and created a whole different game entirely, I would love to try out both versions. But I'm certainly not expecting this outcome.

Zipzo
Mar 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
Understandable. Although i dont believe RMT would send in a ticket let alone buy a ton of AC.. they can see my history on my acct
easily.

MSG I am getting atm when attempting to log into PSO2 Sega ID account on the website for those who are curious or have had the same thing happen to them. 606 error code.

SEGA IDの認証に失敗しました。
このSEGA IDは使用停止中です。ログインすることはできません。
お問い合わせ先はファンタシースターオンライン2公式サイトをご参照ください。

Rofl, you got yourself suspended or they are deactivating your account. Probably for whatever englishanese mess you mailed them with. Well done.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
If the NA/EU release sucks horribly, more people will reluctantly switch to the JP server instead of waiting it out as they are now. This way we get the community of a localized release as well as the content of the original. Everything that a decent international version should have.

Now, if they took it in another direction and created a whole different game entirely, I would love to try out both versions. But I'm certainly not expecting this outcome.

That is a little malicious. You aren't going to get even close to your desired outcome like that, and you aren't going to get anywhere trying to force your assumption that the release is going fail. In the event of a failure to launch, those who have been waiting this long aren't going jump ship if we haven't already (And in many cases, players have tried JP, figured it wasn't their cup of tea, and opted to simply wait once more). We are simply going to dismiss the series entirely this go around, because we have tallied the pros and cons of playing JP.

For many of us, the silent majority, all the game has to do to succeed is release and stay on a decent schedule in terms of content flow. That is all, and the chances of this are extremely high simply due to the fact that this is a PC based game. Not a console to PC port like PSOBB. There is an acceptance of not being exactly were the Japanese are at in terms of content, because it happens all the time with native to foreign launches. This isn't anything new, or some conniving act by Sega. MMOs do this all the time.

You are highly underestimating the cons of playing JP in the eyes of others, and are basically hoping for the release to fail because you somehow think that it will cause a surge in the English speaking population on JP. In a way, you are submitting which release will have the larger population, at least in terms of English speaking players. If you want a decent international release, then allow this fresh scenario to play out instead of attempting to slander it every chance you get, or spreading misinformation.

Macman
Mar 22, 2013, 04:21 PM
PS2/PC content schedule was contractually tethered to Xbox's by default. We received content simultaneously, and anything that effected one side, effected the other with the exception of rollbacks. If that weren't the case, PS2/PC would have been ahead.
Makes sense if it's true.
Now explain why Blue Burst tanked.

UnLucky
Mar 22, 2013, 04:37 PM
In the event of a failure to launch, those who have been waiting this long aren't going jump ship if we haven't already (And in many cases, players have tried JP, figured it wasn't their cup of tea, and opted to simply wait once more). We are simply going to dismiss the series entirely this go around, because we have tallied the pros and cons of playing JP.A lot of people don't want to invest their time in the JP server right now because the NA/EU one could be good. It's understandable, but there will be some players dissatisfied with some aspect of the international release but were simply waiting on confirmation before choosing a server.

For many of us, the silent majority, all the game has to do to succeed is release and stay on a decent schedule in terms of content flow.How decent are we talking about? A month? Six months? A year? Or more? Cause if it's the very likely full year behind, my NA alt isn't going to get very far, and I doubt this silent majority shares your exact criteria.

You are highly underestimating the cons of playing JP in the eyes of others, and are basically hoping for the release to fail because you somehow think that it will cause a surge in the English speaking population on JP. In a way, you are submitting which release will have the larger population, at least in terms of English speaking players.
The cons continue to shrink as fan translations and patches get more advanced. And no, I don't think everyone will hop over, since some will stick to "their" server no matter how bad it gets. But there are a lot of English speakers on the JP server now, so if more come over that's all bonus. If anyone dissatisfied with the English release, or anyone interested in a free downloadable game, just tries out the JP version of PSO2 they can decide where they want to play.

Lostbob117
Mar 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
The thing that determines if pso2 na/eu good is if it starts at a good starting point such as having subclasses, the new classes, the areas, and the level cap that the jp server has currently. (They can start not having any of the clothing.)

If it doesn't even one of these things then it'll be bad cause everyone who played jp already will not want to wait for that content.

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 05:22 PM
The thing that determines if pso2 na/eu good is if it starts at a good starting point such as having subclasses, the new classes, the areas, and the level cap that the jp server has currently. (They can start not having any of the clothing.)

If it doesn't even one of these things then it'll be bad cause everyone who played jp already will not want to wait for that content.

No. This will have basically zero impact on the game's success. The few hundred or even thousand, if you want to be WAY too generous, EN players on the JP server will have basically ZERO bearing on the hundreds of thousands of international players who will sign up for the game.

What will matter is how pissed off those hundreds of thousands of players will get after the RNG shafts them hard.

Laxedrane
Mar 22, 2013, 05:25 PM

I disagree. I think Up to Ruins would be appropriate. Maybe even just before. Have dark falz come out just at the end of the month. Maybe unlocking each EQ between the city ones and dark falz come out once a week. Having the darkers den time attack coming just around the corner. Parallels worlds etc. They could probably sit on that for a good 2-3 months with just clothe updates with that content. Before bringing anything else to the table.

Then turn on the faucet a little harder until they are just a month or two behind the JP servers.

That second part will never happen. Hahaha.

UnLucky
Mar 22, 2013, 05:51 PM
No. This will have basically zero impact on the game's success. The few hundred or even thousand, if you want to be WAY too generous, EN players on the JP server will have basically ZERO bearing on the hundreds of thousands of international players who will sign up for the game.

What will matter is how pissed off those hundreds of thousands of players will get after the RNG shafts them hard.

And anywhere and everywhere, especially in game, will have complaints about how far behind the server is.

I don't think hundreds of thousands of people playing PSO2 will all be oblivious to the content gap. Many won't mind it, sure, but it will be a known thing.

Kondibon
Mar 22, 2013, 06:04 PM
And anywhere and everywhere, especially in game, will have complaints about how far behind the server is.

I don't think hundreds of thousands of people playing PSO2 will all be oblivious to the content gap. Many won't mind it, sure, but it will be a known thing.

I'll only be bothered by it if we're more than 1 or 2 updates behind them. I've played games that have a content gap, that's going to happen in any online game that isn't international or forsaking updates to their local servers. I have seen games like Mabinogi catch up but that's mostly because they basically implemented small updates all at once specifically TO catch us up. they'd also implement things earlier than other stuff if it was simple to implement and didn't require anything from other updates. Nexon may have really horrible customer service but they still do a good job of managing their games.

If SoA can do things like that then I'll have no problem with being a little behind. Infact I'm welcome to the idea of knowing what's going to come so I can plan and test it in the JP version before it comes out in the NA version.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 06:08 PM
How decent are we talking about? A month? Six months? A year? Or more? Cause if it's the very likely full year behind, my NA alt isn't going to get very far, and I doubt this silent majority shares your exact criteria.

I'm talking the full year. The reason why so many people were dissatisfied with PSU was not because we started later then the JP launch. Once again, this happens in every other foreign release, and to think otherwise would be ridiculously unrealistic. The problem was the content flow which faltered following the MAG account debacle. We started later, and got our content at a slower and slower rate. This is due to a number of factors from the Microsoft Xbox Live issue I mentioned, to it's presence on consoles.

The majority of EN community aren't going to be looking at whats on the other side of the fence, especially those whom have had previous MMO experience. They are going to be judging their own experience, which is more then likely going to be what the JP got in July. Game launch bare bones, and then a good steady stream of content. This is the bare minimum needed for success.

The cons continue to shrink as fan translations and patches get more advanced. And no, I don't think everyone will hop over, since some will stick to "their" server no matter how bad it gets. But there are a lot of English speakers on the JP server now, so if more come over that's all bonus. If anyone dissatisfied with the English release, or anyone interested in a free downloadable game, just tries out the JP version of PSO2 they can decide where they want to play.

The EN patch isn't the answer to all of our issues and the cons aren't shrinking. They have grown exponentially for some people ever since the Chinese IP ban. It demonstrated the harsh reality we'd risk, investing time into the game. Your on the assumption that the language barrier is the only thing we're concerned about.

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 06:09 PM
Also , I personally want to see it cancelled, so people will shut up about it instead of talking about it for months and months.

I wouldn't mind if it was canceled either. Mostly it'd be nice to at least hear something about it. If it were a normal offline game, then all you can do is wait either way, but an online game is something that requires continual service and management. Even if there's no new developments, showing players that they're going to support it by being vocal about it would be a good start. The fact that they're not saying anything kind of demonstrates that even when it finally does come out, it'll likely be a business as usual release for them.

The EN patch isn't the answer to all of our issues and the cons aren't shrinking. They have grown exponentially for some people ever since the Chinese IP ban. It demonstrated the harsh reality we'd risk, investing time into the game. Your on the assumption that the language barrier is the only thing we're concerned about.

Which is what kind of annoys me about the whole situation. Reading through the Japanese comments against foreigners, a lot of them will say, "They can play the game when it's released in their region". They have no clue how much Sega sucks major monkey balls at releasing anything outside of Japan. There seems to be no understanding that we're on the servers because there's no other alternative available. But on a side note, a bunch of Japanese players got banned for RMT as well, so that doesn't seem exclusive to foreign players as much of a risk to everyone on the server.

Zipzo
Mar 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't mind if it was canceled either. Mostly it'd be nice to at least hear something about it. If it were a normal offline game, then all you can do is wait either way, but an online game is something that requires continual service and management. Even if there's no new developments, showing players that they're going to support it by being vocal about it would be a good start. The fact that they're not saying anything kind of demonstrates that even when it finally does come out, it'll likely be a business as usual release for them.

Which is what kind of annoys me about the whole situation. Reading through the Japanese comments against foreigners, a lot of them will say, "They can play the game when it's released in their region". They have no clue how much Sega sucks major monkey balls at releasing anything outside of Japan. There seems to be no understanding that we're on the servers because there's no other alternative available. But on a side note, a bunch of Japanese players got banned for RMT as well, so that doesn't seem exclusive to foreign players as much of a risk to everyone on the server.

Those thoughts are not the overwhelming majority. I think very many comments on JP are understanding of the fact that non-Japanese players have no PSO2. Also...seeing as you're in Japan you should be no stranger to being the scapegoat if you are not 100% Japanese...a rock could come from any direction and everyone will look at me like I threw it because I do not look full Japanese.

I will not deny that the racism exists but it's no different than what the USA experiences with crime rates and African-Americans...except in Japan the frequency of foreigners is *much* smaller than that of African Americans in the USA, so mostly it's an issue of honest naiviety. Then there are just plain racist jerks (like everywhere else...).

Most Japanese do not even care unless you go out of your way to disrupt their play experience, which includes obnoxiously speaking English in high japanese volume lobbies or parties. Isn't it the same any other way? Have you ever been at a dinner where two people talk across the table in a different language that nobody else at the table knows? It's rude, essentially.

Perle
Mar 22, 2013, 06:51 PM
Sega need to break the silence. Its deafening.

"It's coming" will do.

I don't understand why its so hard for them to face their audience. If its due to licensing laws or F2P issues, just be transparent at the fact that you're having some issues localizing the game. Saying nothing is just going to piss people off.

And I found it particularly offensive to learn that they switched off the western PSU servers, before giving us any concrete info on the PSO2 localization - and I never played PSU!

The lack of respect for those that followed the series in the West, is frankly alarming. Show your hand SEGA, one way or another.

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 06:52 PM
@Zipzo Not exactly sure what you're getting at there, but I guess I should have clarified that I was talking about a small margin of out spoken Japanese players. The other 97% (or what ever percentage) realize that foreign players just want to enjoy the game and don't mind them on the server. Mostly what I was getting at, is that if Sega wants to region lock the game for Japanese players, they should at least provide an alternative or state otherwise.

yoshiblue
Mar 22, 2013, 06:59 PM

"It's coming" will do.

Imo, it would only provoke more rage. Heh heh. Like the fisherman and the dollar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IV22FJIbc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IV22FJIbc

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 07:13 PM

"It's coming" will do.

They're saying this a lot. Like, every reply they make is "It's coming" and then some buzzwords about caring about customer satisfaction and the PSO2 experience.

Perle
Mar 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
They're saying this a lot. Like, every reply they make is "It's coming" and then some buzzwords about caring about customer satisfaction and the PSO2 experience.

I haven't been following SEGAs commentary, but that sounds like the usual PR spiel.

If they still intend to stand by that 2013 launch, then I guess they'll make it known within the next 2-3 months. But who knows with SoA? :???:

Although Pax seems like the perfect platform for them to release more info.

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
They HAVE said early 2013. They've also said just plain "2013."

When the JP version launched, there was basically zero notice about the pre-release open beta test, like a week IIRC. Then two weeks into the POBT the game went live.

In less than a month the game went form no word to being officially released.

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
They HAVE said early 2013. They've also said just plain "2013."

When the JP version launched, there was basically zero notice about the pre-release open beta test, like a week IIRC. Then two weeks into the POBT the game went live.

I don't remember the dates exactly, but I'm pretty sure there was an closed alpha, a second alpha, a closed beta and an open beta leading up from March to the official launch in July. All of the while Sakai kept everyone up to date on the the ameblo blog every week about the challenges that the game was facing and the time frame that his team was working to try and fix it.

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 07:56 PM
Weren't many of the alphas as early as some time in 2011? I only got into the 4 hour tests, then the POBT, and my recollection on the exact dates for those are shoddy so I'm sure someone else will have more accurate information.

Sierhiet
Mar 22, 2013, 07:57 PM

I've been highlighting this for the past few months. It's exactly why the whole argument about the lack of communication is baseless in my opinion. Pointing to the Sakai blogs isn't an alternative either, because that was when the game was knee deep in development. Not Westernization, or translation.

Makes sense if it's true.
Now explain why Blue Burst tanked.

I forgot to answer, but I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before as well. Blue Burst was the equivalent to a console to PC port. It honestly cannot be compared to PSO2 fairly. We had most of our content at launch for PSOBB. Slow content flow was nearly a non factor. (Which is the main debate around how well the EN version will fair) The nuisances we experienced, such as infinite seasonal lobbies were nothing in comparison to what happened in PSU, which as mentioned before, were a result of other outside factors. The scenarios are incomparable.

Ezodagrom
Mar 22, 2013, 08:02 PM
Weren't many of the alphas as early as some time in 2011? I only got into the 4 hour tests, then the POBT, and my recollection on the exact dates for those are shoddy so I'm sure someone else will have more accurate information.
Alpha 1 was around August or September 2011, don't remember exactly, Alpha 2 was in February 2012, Closed Beta was in April 2012, Pre-Open Beta and Open Beta were in June 2012 and the game launched in July 4.
The July 4 release date was also announced in late May.

Laxedrane
Mar 22, 2013, 10:09 PM
Even if this game only out in JP now. With the onset of the internet what's there to post? Oh we just got done translating all of Hilde's speech for emergency codes?

That's hardly a crowd pleaser. Maybe just milestones like we are a quarter way to our goals etc be nice but really what's there to post?

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 10:27 PM
Even if this game only out in JP now. With the onset of the internet what's there to post? Oh we just got done translating all of Hilde's speech for emergency codes?

That's hardly a crowd pleaser. Maybe just milestones like we are a quarter way to our goals etc be nice but really what's there to post?

Useless information is better than no information. That's actually something I consciously do with all of the story patches to let people know how much is finish, what the progress is and when it's expected to be done.

Ezodagrom
Mar 22, 2013, 10:30 PM

There's alot of things they could announce, even if the game is out in Japan, many gamers in the west are not aware of the features or areas that the game has (at this point many aren't even aware that the game exists), they could do video trailers, post pictures and write articles in their blogs about the areas, enemies, bosses, story, and also talk about the features and such.
Even if it's things that those playing in the japanese version already know, it's things that they should talk about anyway for those who don't know anything about the game.

UnLucky
Mar 22, 2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah, just a "starting translation on story dialog" or "character voice screening starts soon" or "looking at various hosting options" or "meeting to decide cash shop changes" or "PSO2 promo video/picture/text"

doesn't have to be RELEASE DATE WHEN, doesn't even have to be every month, just more than once last year.