PDA

View Full Version : So what keeps you playing PSO2?

brian3000
Mar 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
I personally love this game and I am glad that I am able to play it, but lately pso2 just seems too grindy now. I just want to know what motivates you as players to keep playing pso2?

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 18, 2013, 12:16 AM
Outfits

BIG OLAF
Mar 18, 2013, 12:17 AM
Friends/social aspects, outfits, and the so-very-far-away glimmer of hope that I'll find rares I actually want someday.

Jakosifer
Mar 18, 2013, 12:19 AM
Tomodachi

Everything else is bad.

Ezodagrom
Mar 18, 2013, 12:22 AM
Socializing, outfits, video recording, completing client orders, completing the story, and so on...

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 12:23 AM
the promise of new content

brian3000
Mar 18, 2013, 12:23 AM
So its not weapons anymore? lol

BIG OLAF
Mar 18, 2013, 12:24 AM
Weapons are all just reskins of each other with higher stats. Nothing exciting about them, really. Nice to have, but not 'exciting'.

Cyron Tanryoku
It's never weapons

Not after locking us out of selling 10*s

brian3000
I see. Well put.

blace
Mar 18, 2013, 12:25 AM
I play, just for playing.

Syklo
Mar 18, 2013, 12:29 AM
I play, just for playing.
This.
Also because it's just fun.

blace
Mar 18, 2013, 12:30 AM
This.
Also because it's just fun.
It stopped being fun for me. I just play it because S4 League can be a bitch.

HiOc
Mar 18, 2013, 12:33 AM
No motivation.

Scale of Judgment
Mar 18, 2013, 12:35 AM
To fill the trophy room of all the dead ark imposters of friends I have...
I mean...friendship.

Coatl
Mar 18, 2013, 12:36 AM
Because addiction.

Syklo
Mar 18, 2013, 12:38 AM
It stopped being fun for me. I just play it because S4 League can be a bitch.
S4 league was greaat.
And then the minigun/flight/bomb haxxors came.

blace
Mar 18, 2013, 12:39 AM
S4 league was greaat.

Exactly.

Dnd
Mar 18, 2013, 12:43 AM
The eternal story, wait, who am I kidding? the 1/300k drop rates keep me playing

Blackheart521
Mar 18, 2013, 12:45 AM
White Day EQ Music ^^

Maximum Burst
Mar 18, 2013, 12:52 AM
SEGA puts a lot of emphasis on having multiple classes leveled up due to the Subclass System. Thus, my main motivation is to have all the classes leveled to the cap every time they raise it. After that, I just focus on making money to pay for clothes and good gear for my RA.

Renvalt
Mar 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
Fighting the enemies. Specifically the bosses.

Can't wait for Chrome and Sekh Dragon.

Arialle
Mar 18, 2013, 12:59 AM
S4 league was greaat.

lol i was a s4 league player since closed beta till like 3 years? or till Blade season was here

was so fun and couldnt get bored but now i am cause most older players left and 90% of the players really have no skills in there now......

cant jump tricks for nuts, rage at every weapon that kills them, every1 just wanna play melee only games, the proper challenging of full gears station 2 TD is dead ):

Syklo
Mar 18, 2013, 01:02 AM
lol i was a s4 league player since closed beta till like 3 years? or till Blade season was here

was so fun and couldnt get bored but now i am cause most older players left and 90% of the players really have no skills in there now......

cant jump tricks for nuts, rage at every weapon that kills them, every1 just wanna play melee only games, the proper challenging of full gears station 2 TD is dead ):
Honestly I don't get the fun in Swords Only TD........like wth?
But yeah, almost no one there now has the sort of skill that made matches fun in the first place.

supersonix9
Mar 18, 2013, 01:03 AM
Rares.

Alisha
Mar 18, 2013, 01:05 AM
lately nothing keeps me playing. i log in alt tab and do any EQ's that may come up. but i hate the way you get lvls in this game. i miss simply just doing runs for exp and the lvls came in. from previous games.

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 01:05 AM
I have a shitload of free time.

supersonix9
Mar 18, 2013, 01:07 AM

ya that's usually what it comes down to as well

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 01:13 AM
Getting all classes to 55, perfecting all the bosses as a hunter/fighter, gathering money for future scratch items, admiring the beautifully well-executed character artwork, playing through the translated story and matter board stuff, and generally having fun with the combat system are all why I continue to play the game.

You may notice grinding/affixing new rares is not anywhere on that list, and that is because I take it as a given that I have awful luck in all areas and prefer not to disappoint myself.

Also I'm trying to learn Japanese and this game is one of many sources of practice...

Julliz
Mar 18, 2013, 01:21 AM
-Its fun using different weapons
-AQ structure is reminiscent to PSO1
-Rares
-Having a team to play with

Coatl
Mar 18, 2013, 01:22 AM

Idk PSO2 makes me feel like I don't have enough sometimes.

Blackheart521
Mar 18, 2013, 01:24 AM
Idk PSO2 makes me feel like I don't have enough sometimes.

Agreed ^^;

supersonix9
Mar 18, 2013, 01:29 AM
-Its fun using different weapons
-AQ structure is reminiscent to PSO1
-Rares
-Having a team to play with

awww julliz <3

ShadowDragon28
Mar 18, 2013, 01:40 AM
Client Orders, Matter hunts, leveling. and my driving desire to one day have the Crome Dragon wings unit the Rear/ChromeVeil and the Dragon Slayer sword...

zegun~kun
Mar 18, 2013, 03:20 AM
what kept me playing PSO2 are...

Time attacks
Dudu
Time attacks
Advanced quests
Rares
Dudu
The fashion
Dudu
Dudu
Team mates
Keeping my hopes up on a stable story english patch

well, since i waste most of my money on Dudu.. it cant be helped :P

Valimer
Mar 18, 2013, 03:29 AM
Time Attacks, honestly. I jsut want to get a rappy suit so I can trade for a re-color ticket. I just want to experience recoloring an outfit. I wish there was a video of someone doing it, but alas, there area none.

I would play more often if my close friends played.

Eveningxtar
Mar 18, 2013, 04:00 AM
Playing for getting the weapons, story and definitely the outfits as a collection

holmwood
Mar 18, 2013, 04:01 AM
I play for the 3d waifus.

But generally, Im obsessed with rare hunting for some reason. Keeps my mind off leveling. Why level? I don't know anymore.:-?

Also love costume collecting.

Cagedtaytay
Mar 18, 2013, 04:17 AM
No said 'To one day kill Dudu' yet?

Meji
Mar 18, 2013, 04:19 AM
Chatting with all my friends and helping out others is pretty much the main reason these days.
I also takes loads of screen shots, but always too lazy to ever upload any. orz

jooozek
Mar 18, 2013, 04:22 AM
i wanted to write combat but then i reminded myself that it actually turns me off after playing other games around
so yeah
not really playing, but keeps me logging, daily FUN and campaigns

Agitated_AT
Mar 18, 2013, 04:35 AM
It used to be potential, but now it's nothing

Crystal_Shard
Mar 18, 2013, 04:48 AM
I have a lot of alts. Also, costumes, AQs, rare areas, etc.

It's always fun running through AQs, EQs, TAs and the like with friends and teammates. :3

Reiketsu
Mar 18, 2013, 07:23 AM
Tomodachi

Everything else is bad.

This, seriously.
If it weren't for the people I've met in this game, I would have quit months ago, and every now and then I'm still thinking about quitting maybe, because the game itself isn't fun. Or rather, it's more frustration than fun.

I was never interested in hunting rares, and I will never be, simply because of the fact that I know it will frustrate me even more.
I sometimes think I'd like to create a second character or level other classes, but then I remember the atrocious exp requirements and immediately lose all motivation to do so. I just don't have that much time to waste.
I always wanted to do story mode and translate it for myself. I'm studying Japanese, after all. However, collecting Matter Board stuff is a really boring and torturous process, so no real motivation for that, either.

Apart from that, what is there to do in this game? Basically nothing.
Nowadays, I only do TA to earn money for coming updates and because it's the only thing that's slightly fun.

I dunno, I always had fun at trying to become better and faster at stuff, especially boss fights.
There are games I played until I was perfect at them and could beat every boss on any difficulty without getting hit (MegaMan, God Hand, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear, etc). Unfortunately, there's not one fun boss fight in this game. All of them have something extremely annoying about them (which you only realize when you do them solo), so I have no motivation to try getting much better and faster at that, either.
God... Banthers, especially Banthers, ugh... 90% of the bosses in this game just piss me the hell of when I do them solo >_>"
Only the Rockbear who has become my archnemesis... he's the only one I have a bit of fun beating the crap out of and trying to butcher him as fast as possible.

Oh, right, there are also AQs now, but don't even get me started on them.
They're complete BS in every way.

Anyways, to sum it up again... I only really continue playing because of friends :???:
Oh, and I still get kinda hyped when I see new trailers and I'm looking forward to the new area.
I just wish SEGA would concentrate on adding more areas to give more variety at least in environments instead of coming up with ideas to make us play the existing areas over and over again.

~Aya~
Mar 18, 2013, 07:37 AM
I was playing with friends.. went afk and come back to a 630. Try to log in and getting 816 error code now. Wonder why they did that?

Reiketsu
Mar 18, 2013, 07:48 AM
I was playing with friends.. went afk and come back to a 630. Try to log in and getting 816 error code now. Wonder why they did that?

Wait... are you serious?

~Aya~
Mar 18, 2013, 07:50 AM
Wait... are you serious?

Yeah that's the code they use to ban Chinese players for RMTing

Atleast I think it is.

Galax
Mar 18, 2013, 08:03 AM
Making up autowords to change my characters personality so often that he seems to have MPD. Right now he's a mute.

Bellion
Mar 18, 2013, 08:06 AM
My rares and my luck with Dudu so that I can laugh at some of my team members. :3
Playing with friends.
Need to finish getting HU and FI x2 to 55.

Kondibon
Mar 18, 2013, 08:57 AM
Nothing. I binge for about a week at a time then play other stuff.

BlueCast Boy
Mar 18, 2013, 09:09 AM
Well now that PSO2 feels abit boring I'll play maybe for friends and some new clothes and parts, Of course I'll try to find some useful combo potential for weapons but mostly I'll do it for friends.

Skyly HUmar
Mar 18, 2013, 09:13 AM
My goal of being the greatest elitist in the forums!

In all seriousness though, in every online phantasy star that iv'e played my friends and hunts have kept me into it. sjs kept me on pso for 8 years lol.

Z-0
Mar 18, 2013, 09:18 AM
do you even know what elitist means

tip: its not a good thing

Kondibon
Mar 18, 2013, 09:19 AM

Considering he said "In all seriousness" afterwords I think he was joking.

zegun~kun
Mar 18, 2013, 09:19 AM
being too rich or too strong in PSO2 will make you feel bored :lol:
just like how One Punchman got too strong and felt lonely because he was too OP :lol:

welp, as a rather generic player with an uncertain luck either with rare drops or our lovely Dudu.. i always have a goal in PSO2

and oh.. getting abducted or meeting clones have always been fun :D

NoiseHERO
Mar 18, 2013, 09:26 AM
Tomodachi

Everything else is bad.

tomodachi and swiggy dressup

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 09:37 AM
Some of you folks make me wonder if you enjoy anything anymore...

HIT0SHI
Mar 18, 2013, 09:41 AM
>Rare Hunting
>Advanced Quests
>Time Attack
>Clothes (parts)
>Changing my mags attack and Photon Blast for a better assist (Ranger mag)
>Falz's shiny stones for Excubes
>Team members
>Friends

NoiseHERO
Mar 18, 2013, 09:46 AM
Sure is nice to have friends to make this game bareable...

I guess insanity works too though...

Phantasma
Mar 18, 2013, 09:52 AM
Yea.....I kinda hopped off the train after lvl 44. I'll be back on after US release. Until then, GUILD WARS 2 FARMING and playing every other game I have `-`

daniel98x
Mar 18, 2013, 10:02 AM
I have no idea why. the combat isn't very good to begin with. it's very repetitive, with every class spamming 1 or 2 skills tops.

very little content - developers decided to just make everything borderline unattainable so players would never achieve anything and 'never run out of things to do'

there is no fleshed out story, however many chapters in, we don't know what the ARKs is for, the purpose of the ARKs ship, who lives on it and why, anything about falz, anything about darkers, anything about infection, why are the pilots crashing so much, nothing is explained.

blah blah blah, I could go on. I guess I keep playing because i'm a "PSO fan", same reason as everyone else. if you werent a PSO fan and you wanted gameplay like this, there's better options really.

as for Skyly Humar, you can go ahead and take the title of "PSO2 elitist" lol. I dont think anyone even wants that title but you. I don't even see how you can be an elitist on this game, you just look like a douche.

Skyly HUmar
Mar 18, 2013, 10:09 AM

Yeah lol, its an inside joke.

Considering he said "In all seriousness" afterwords I think he was joking.

that.

EDIT:

as for Skyly Humar, you can go ahead and take the title of "PSO2 elitist" lol. I dont think anyone even wants that title but you. I don't even see how you can be an elitist on this game, you just look like a douche.

Read before posting please.

daniel98x
Mar 18, 2013, 10:13 AM
doesn't matter if you're joking or not, it's true. every post you make appears to be about how amazing you think you are. thank god I don't know you.

Ezodagrom
Mar 18, 2013, 10:15 AM
there is no fleshed out story, however many chapters in, we don't know what the ARKs is for, the purpose of the ARKs ship, who lives on it and why, anything about falz, anything about darkers, anything about infection, why are the pilots crashing so much, nothing is explained.
How much of the story have you played though? Don't expect everything to be answered right at the start.

For example, some things that are mentioned either during the story or during blue event tablets, the Arks were founded 40 years before the story when the 3 heroes sealed Dark Falz Elder. The purpose of the Arks seems to be to defeat darkers, and protect the natives of planets, I guess? (note, when fighting natives that don't have the infection bubbles during quests, those are also already infected by darkers, the first sign of infection is unusual aggression, especially towards the Arks)

About darkers and infection, when darkers are killed through brute force (that is, without photon based weapons, darkers can only be completely destroyed with photon based weapons), they leave spores that infect native creatures, which then turn into darkers themselves.
There's still alot of unknowns in the story, but those are things that will be revealed in time, I think.

Skyly HUmar
Mar 18, 2013, 10:15 AM
doesn't matter if you're joking or not, it's true. every post you make appears to be about how amazing you think you are. thank god I don't know you.

Listen bud, this is psow, 99% of what people post isnt serious. If you really think im like that because of the way i screw arround, well im glad i dont know you either.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
What keeps me playing? Pantsu

Requiem Aeternam
Mar 18, 2013, 10:37 AM
I think the main reason I keep playing is that, due to the extensive character customisation options, I can cosplay as some of my favourite characters who I wouldn't be able to play otherwise.

I'm also a big fan of the Phantasy Star series as a whole and enjoy hunting for rares, although in this game rares seem to be harder to find than Shiny Pokemon. Hopefully Sega up the drop rates in future.

Skyly HUmar
Mar 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
I think the main reason I keep playing is that, due to the extensive character customisation options, I can cosplay as some of my favourite characters who I wouldn't be able to play otherwise.

I'm also a big fan of the Phantasy Star series as a whole and enjoy hunting for rares, although in this game rares seem to be harder to find than Shiny Pokemon. Hopefully Sega up the drop rates in future.

Im actually surprised about how low the rates are. Sakai said that the game is targeted at casual players and all. But I guess sakai's casual is hunt a para world, hope its a predi nero, hope it drops a rare, and hope its l ardillo and not one of the other two things lol.

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 10:44 AM
if you werent a PSO fan and you wanted gameplay like this, there's better options really.
Not... really.

Is there another game out there that combines action RPG combat with co-op play, a robust (if often maddening due to low rates) loot system, ridiculous character customization, and the game's distinct science-fantasy aesthetic? No, there really isn't. SEGA kind of has this particular market by the balls. There are simply no alternatives, especially in the realm of sci-fantasy (everything these days is bog-standard faux-medieval fantasy with only a few notable exceptions).

Zipzo
Mar 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
Not... really.

Is there another game out there that combines action RPG combat with co-op play, a robust (if often maddening due to low rates) loot system, ridiculous character customization, and the game's distinct science-fantasy aesthetic? No, there really isn't. SEGA kind of has this particular market by the balls. There are simply no alternatives, especially in the realm of sci-fantasy (everything these days is bog-standard faux-medieval fantasy with only a few notable exceptions).

I would not consider TERA "medieval" faux fantasy, and the toughest content coordination for hard mode bosses in TERA makes PSO2 AQs look like Hopscotch in comparison.

TERA also has a robust loot system...slightly less basic character customization in exchange for full armor reskinning/dying options, along with many armor sets to choose from. Very large and intimidating bosses with raid-like mechanics...

Try some more games.

I have 3 60s in TERA so I'm not just talking out of my butt here. I LIKE PSO2, but its not because its the only game of its kind...not even close. Go ahead and hate on it being F2P...there's nothing you could mention from the cash shop that PSO2 doesn't have a worse example of...

Requiem Aeternam
Mar 18, 2013, 10:57 AM
Im actually surprised about how low the rates are. Sakai said that the game is targeted at casual players and all. But I guess sakai's casual is hunt a para world, hope its a predi nero, hope it drops a rare, and hope its l ardillo and not one of the other two things lol.

Sakai said the game was aimed at casual players? Maybe there's a difference between a casual japanese player and a casual western player? Oh well. If people enjoy the game that's the main thing.

daniel98x
Mar 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
It's pretty hard for me to praise the gameplay. I mean, it had clearly had potential, but... so far the end result is a poorly balanced mess.

I didn't say there was nothing good about PSO2. The science fiction-fantasy setting is appealing to me and I know many enjoy the emphasis on cosmetics.

I guess I'm just really disappointed because PSO2 could have been and should have been way better than it is.

It just seems like, for the step forward in character creation and visuals, PS has taken 100 steps back in so many other areas.

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 11:10 AM
I would not consider TERA "medieval" faux fantasy, and the toughest content coordination for hard mode bosses in TERA makes PSO2 AQs look like Hopscotch in comparison.

TERA also has a robust loot system...slightly less basic character customization in exchange for full armor reskinning/dying options, along with many armor sets to choose from. Very large and intimidating bosses with raid-like mechanics...
Bullshit, TERA has one of the worst loot systems ever devised.

The main problem is that the stat differences are way too huge between items, to the point where items define your character more than anything else. It is, in fact, my one biggest problem with the game and probably the greatest reason why I stopped playing it more than the shit community and lack of character customization (armor reskinning barely even counts - at least in PSO2 you don't even need to reskin armor).

PSO2's content is very easy in comparison, that is pretty much a given, but I never even mentioned difficulty in my post. It could also be considered a positive because it means you don't get fucked over by elitist dipshits who demand only the most highly-geared players for their groups (which at least partially defeats the point of a loot-based game as it means the players who most need loot are also the least likely to attain it, and DEFINITELY defeats the point of having an action-combat system when the loot defines you more than your own skill).

Try some more games.

I have 3 60s in TERA so I'm not just talking out of my butt here. I LIKE PSO2, but its not because its the only game of its kind...not even close.
Come on, seriously? The two are barely even comparable. Yes, they both have action combat systems and loot... that's about where the comparisons end.

Aesthetically, they're completely incomparable (especially in the environments, which is where TERA excels). TERA's character customization is downright nonexistent next to PSO2's (you can't even change eye color, wtf is that? No body sliders as well is a complete deal-breaker for me). One is lobby/instance-based, the other is open-world (until you get to the dungeons, at least). One is heavily reliant on randomness in both locations and events, the other is entirely static. One is based on space operas and science fantasy series, the other is... a strange amalgamation of faux-medieval fantasy (yes, all of its armor and weapons count as this) and science fantasy in the space of its primary enemy. One gives you options in weapons and class makeup and lets you mix-and-match attacks, the other lets you use only one weapon per class and has a static array of attacks all stacked on a hotbar.

Of course, if all you care about is the combat and having a challenge, you should play something other than PSO2. But there are plenty of other reasons to play PSO2, enough so that there is very little other competition in this space from other games.

Skyly HUmar
Mar 18, 2013, 11:12 AM
I doubt that lol. All my JP friends agree that the drop rates are over the top. Its good to keep you playing i guess, but its hard to find an item, +10 it, afix it, and 50% it (if its not too unreasonable), and enjoy it for a while before something better comes out.

I may be one of those that just looks at the goal without enjoying the ride, but i cant wait for the final end game so the real hunt can begin.

EDIT:
It's pretty hard for me to praise the gameplay. I mean, it had clearly had potential, but... so far the end result is a poorly balanced mess.

I didn't say there was nothing good about PSO2. The science fiction-fantasy setting is appealing to me and I know many enjoy the emphasis on cosmetics.

I guess I'm just really disappointed because PSO2 could have been and should have been way better than it is.

It just seems like, for the step forward in character creation and visuals, PS has taken 100 steps back in so many other areas.

i know what you mean, the game still feels a little too PSUish. I wish they had added a little more to the PSO part of it like extra attacks, grinding, and rare monsters actually dropping their drops lol. But this system has its perks so i guess its not all bad.

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 11:26 AM
I will note that the game would probably see massive improvements if they were to fix some of the glaring balance issues (range in general being so much of an advantage, huge disparities in usefulness of certain techniques and PAs especially, unbalanced skill trees) and add some element of challenge to MPAs.

Also, I'm pretty sure at least part of the reason the "spamming one or two attacks" thing is commonplace (besides the aforementioned balance issues) is simply the fact that doing a full PA attack chain requires you to empty your entire PP bar and then use normal attacks for an extended period of time to regain that PP. I feel like there should be a happier medium here...

Zipzo
Mar 18, 2013, 11:50 AM
Bullshit, TERA has one of the worst loot systems ever devised.

The main problem is that the stat differences are way too huge between items, to the point where items define your character more than anything else. It is, in fact, my one biggest problem with the game and probably the greatest reason why I stopped playing it more than the shit community and lack of character customization (armor reskinning barely even counts - at least in PSO2 you don't even need to reskin armor).

PSO2's content is very easy in comparison, that is pretty much a given, but I never even mentioned difficulty in my post. It could also be considered a positive because it means you don't get fucked over by elitist dipshits who demand only the most highly-geared players for their groups (which at least partially defeats the point of a loot-based game as it means the players who most need loot are also the least likely to attain it, and DEFINITELY defeats the point of having an action-combat system when the loot defines you more than your own skill).

Come on, seriously? The two are barely even comparable. Yes, they both have action combat systems and loot... that's about where the comparisons end.

Aesthetically, they're completely incomparable (especially in the environments, which is where TERA excels). TERA's character customization is downright nonexistent next to PSO2's (you can't even change eye color, wtf is that? No body sliders as well is a complete deal-breaker for me). One is lobby/instance-based, the other is open-world (until you get to the dungeons, at least). One is heavily reliant on randomness in both locations and events, the other is entirely static. One is based on space operas and science fantasy series, the other is... a strange amalgamation of faux-medieval fantasy (yes, all of its armor and weapons count as this) and science fantasy in the space of its primary enemy. One gives you options in weapons and class makeup and lets you mix-and-match attacks, the other lets you use only one weapon per class and has a static array of attacks all stacked on a hotbar.

Of course, if all you care about is the combat and having a challenge, you should play something other than PSO2. But there are plenty of other reasons to play PSO2, enough so that there is very little other competition in this space from other games.
Dragon Nest? Vindictus?

Despite having their own weaknessss both of those games have combat far superior to PSO2 in terms of both skill cap and feeling of reward by mastering. They fall in to the "medieval" setting I guess but why should that be a bad thing if the game is more fun in the areas that are important?

Also you can change eye color, just not mutually and exclusively from make up.

What's this about loot defining your character? You mean that thing that every MMORPG that puts a focus on improving your gear conceptually has? PSO2 is no exception...there is a weapon out there you SHOULD be using even in PSO2, it might not hurt your performance nearly as much in PSO2 but what is all this about gear defining your character? How is that bad? That's how it's ALWAYS been.

Armor skinning totally DOES count especially when you can change more than one full body suit like pso2, no two pieces of armor in the game look too similar and each and every set even has a different model depending on your race! You can't neglect a point because it works against you.

Sizustar
Mar 18, 2013, 11:52 AM
So...are we talking why we're still playing or other games?
I keep playing, because I'm having fun.
I don't really hunt rare that much, or I have good luck, as I have gears that I want.
But I mainly just like to whack monster with my rod and party with my friends in MPA or EQ.

Z-0
Mar 18, 2013, 11:59 AM
lolwut this thread

let's sum pso2 up: great at its core (controls, combat wise, fluidness, etc), but suffers from horrible design that it hits hard after a while.

/argument

---

I pretty much play every game to complete them / get better at them. Here it's really TA'ing that keeps me here, although I'm not doing it much lately because of lack of interest (plus we could really do with more quests instead of limited time EQs or... vocaloid scratches, lol).

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 12:05 PM
Everyone has different priorities, and the combat alone is not necessarily the "areas that are important" on its own (actually, it's just one area, and the support systems surrounding the combat are as important as the combat itself IMO).

And having a small number of preset eye colors that is tied to make-up is exactly what I was talking about. That's shit. What makes it particularly jarring is that including an option to choose eye color from a list of hues isn't even hard to implement, just make a damn shader that changes the hue based on an RGB value, wtf excuse do they have for not including something that basic? Elin ears and tail not being colorable or even color-matched to hair is another major knock in that area, something easily done yet completely ignored by the devs for whatever reason. I should also mention that skin tones are terribly restricted - you can't make a brown-skinned Elin, let alone a dark-skinned one, and a LOT of the swatches are irritatingly similar to one another (and aren't even in a logical ordering, to boot). And still no body sliders.

Yeah, character customization is pretty fucking important to me, I'll have you know. (Dragon Nest and Vindictus are terribly lacking in this area as well.)

The problem with loot defining your character is it, again, completely defeats the point of having a skill-based combat system that provides you with a strong sense of agency in the game. Once you lose that sense of agency (i.e. the result of a fight is no longer in your hands, but in the hands of the stats or RNG) the combat system no longer matters, because your victory is basically predetermined. This is especially bad in competitive games as you get a real sense of futility when you know that your chances of victory are basically nullified simply because you did not put in the dozens-to-hundreds of hours needed to match your opponents for gear. This is one of the only things that Guild Wars 2 did right with its system of every PvPer being on even ground (at least for sPvP - WvW is a different animal entirely).

The fact that something has "ALWAYS been" is completely irrelevant and an appeal to tradition, which has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with rationalizing something after the fact.

Armor skinning is irrelevant because, again, PSO2 does not require armor skinning as you can just wear whatever the hell you want without regard for stats (units aside, which barely even count as armor aesthetically). Now, the fact that there is more than one slot for armor DOES matter, but not so much, since you can only change your headgear (most of which are paid-for accessories or endgame content), footwear, and gloves - only the headgear is actually noticeable, while gloves and footwear barely change anything at all (and there are very few combinations that actually match, much as was the case in PSU). Personally I consider this point to be a wash as PSO2 introduces new outfits at a far brisker pace than other games, and will likely overtake every other game on the market in terms of sheer volume of available choices very, very quickly. This even includes TERA's uniquely race-specific outfit designs - it's only a matter of time with how slowly BHS has been introducing new armor sets into the game.

Again, though, there is nothing quite like PSO2 on the market at this time. Yes, there are other action RPGs out there that are at least comparable combat-wise, but nothing with the very distinct cocktail of aesthetics and design that is the Phantasy Star Online universe.

Merumeru
Mar 18, 2013, 12:12 PM
So...are we talking why we're still playing or other games?
I keep playing, because I'm having fun.
I don't really hunt rare that much, or I have good luck, as I have gears that I want.
But I mainly just like to whack monster with my rod and party with my friends in MPA or EQ.This is pretty much me right now. XD I don't know how long the fun will last, but it's definitely more than enough to cause me to drop every other MMO I've had going before I finally bit the bullet and decided to play on the JPN server.

Gen2000
Mar 18, 2013, 12:47 PM
Friends and a combo of tolerable (not best) combat system with character customization/designs that's not complete ass like some other online RPGs and the sci-fi setting.

After playing through a few online RPGs over the years and this I'm just over the "carrot on a stick"/"beat your head against a wall until it breaks" type deal for loot drops so the whole "rare hunting" aspect is not of my concern anymore. It's just...old to me. Whatever I get, I just get. I don't care anymore on that front.

AQs, certain EQs, and TAs (the latter mainly solo and of course gets trolled by Darker Den doing so) is basically all I do if I'm logged in. They're the only things that feels engaging to me, everything else just feels so aimless it makes me want to log off sooner. Sometimes I have some ideas of how to make some non-mainstream/popular/not as well documented class combos work and that becomes like little projects for me to also work on when logged in but then I realize of all the BS I gotta go through leveling from the ground up again and it just becomes "meh" (I miss PSU's class leveling system).

Other that that this is simply the game I play in between games of other interest on console or PC (just came off MGR heavy playing recently) and the way the game is setup it fulfills my need in that, especially being F2P to and all.

Blackheart521
Mar 18, 2013, 12:50 PM
It's the first MMO-type game that I've actually played for a prolonged amount of time (other than Runescape when I was an early teen) so that's saying something about it for me at least. I feel it definitely has a uniqueness compared to other online games currently and it holds my attention more than other MMO games.

Any game that can hold my attention for 300+ hours is a game that I can say is good in my books and there's only been a few games that have been able to do that for me and one of those was PSO Ep. 1&2

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 01:12 PM
Elin ears and tail not being colorable or even color-matched to hair is another major knock in that area, something easily done yet completely ignored by the devs for whatever reason.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I never bought the thing. The other races have pretty limited customization, but Elin takes the cake. Every other race can have the angle, shape, and size of their ears changed (if they even have ears, sorry rock people), even the Popori, but not Elin. You can't even choose the type of ears or tail or hairstyle separately. But Popori have tails as an individual choice.

The worst shared limitation for me is the facial structure. You first choose a preset, then mold it slightly. The presets can vary quite a bit, and sometimes start with an attribute maxed so you can't adjust it in the way you want. Also the exact same slider settings between two different preset faces can look wildly different.

The problem with loot defining your character is it, again, completely defeats the point of having a skill-based combat system that provides you with a strong sense of agency in the game.
So you want to do low level naked runs or something? A lot of attacks are completely negatable, though it depends on your class, and blocking is gear dependent. An interesting experiment for PvP balance that Trion did for RIFT was to eliminate all gear bonuses for instanced PvP on a test server. The results? The same few people who were decked out in top of the line gear still won by a landslide. Literally the only defining factor was skill, and the same people topped the scoreboard.

The reason people want geared players is mainly for damage output and a baseline for survivability. If a single mistake is going to oneshot you in your tier 1 armor, you're going to have to be incredulously good in order to not be a detriment to your party, and of course your damage isn't going to be on par. That's why there's craftable and questline gearsets. Baseline.

Armor skinning is irrelevant because, again, PSO2 does not require armor skinning as you can just wear whatever the hell you want without regard for stats (units aside, which barely even count as armor aesthetically).
But I wanna wear one of those swirly effects, wings, and a tail I might not have the stats for. As it is now, I have to hide all my units because I don't like the looks of them. PSO2 needs armor skinning.

Alisha
Mar 18, 2013, 01:19 PM
because FF XIV ARR isnt out yet...

Poubelle
Mar 18, 2013, 01:20 PM
I don't see how PSO2's customization is better than TERA's.

You might prefer the 'costume' system but with a system where each armor (body, feet, hands, etc.) all have a distinct look, and you can skin your stuff however you want, TERA clearly wins in the customization department. and even if you DO prefer just having over-all costumes & accessories like PSO2, TERA has that, too.

TERA's combat, drop system, drop rates, enemies, AI, etc. all put PSO2 to shame as well.

Edit: As for visual customization of the character itself (before clothes, accessories, etc.) PSO2's is better than TERA's only due to restrictions on body shapes. I think that's for hitbox reasons.

Poubelle
Mar 18, 2013, 01:27 PM
After playing through a few online RPGs over the years and this I'm just over the "carrot on a stick"/"beat your head against a wall until it breaks" type deal for loot drops so the whole "rare hunting" aspect is not of my concern anymore. It's just...old to me. Whatever I get, I just get. I don't care anymore on that front.

Not all online games are like this, though.

I think it's sad that if you even want to tolerate PSO2, you have to "give up" on all character progression, don't make any goals for yourself at all, because you'll probably never achieve them.

PSO2: Just give up. stop caring.

Kinda makes me wonder if non-Phantasy Star fans will deal with that.

Keyblade59
Mar 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
PSO2 is a gateway drug man

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 01:42 PM
Edit: As for visual customization of the character itself (before clothes, accessories, etc.) PSO2's is better than TERA's only due to restrictions on body shapes. I think that's for hitbox reasons.
No, that's total bullshit. There's absolutely no excuse. Hit boxes have NOTHING AT ALL to do with the visual representation of the character model. They can have as many sliders as PSO2 with the exact same hitboxes for everybody and it would work exactly the same as it does now.

The only reason there are no body sliders is because of priorities (that is to say, customization was NOT one of them).

And I entirely disagree with the majority of the rest of this post and I already explained why...

Edit: I should note that I don't actually find the race-specific armor designs to be that much of a boon, simply because they follow a VERY limited aesthetic for each race. Castanic armor looks like Castanic armor, Elin armor looks like Elin armor, etc. There is very little variation in style within a race. Virtually all light and heavy Elin armor has that same style where they have a fancy top with a really short skirt (if they even have a skirt at all) that exposes the bottoms - in fact, there's not a single piece of light or heavy Elin armor that has pants (!?). That's extremely limiting, and something PSO2 is much, much, MUCH better about.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I never bought the thing. The other races have pretty limited customization, but Elin takes the cake. Every other race can have the angle, shape, and size of their ears changed (if they even have ears, sorry rock people), even the Popori, but not Elin. You can't even choose the type of ears or tail or hairstyle separately. But Popori have tails as an individual choice.

The worst shared limitation for me is the facial structure. You first choose a preset, then mold it slightly. The presets can vary quite a bit, and sometimes start with an attribute maxed so you can't adjust it in the way you want. Also the exact same slider settings between two different preset faces can look wildly different.Pretty much. They made some really questionable decisions with their customization, and I can't even fathom the reasoning - poor management? Bad decision-making? I don't know, something was screwed up in that particular department and it's really disappointing.

So you want to do low level naked runs or something? A lot of attacks are completely negatable, though it depends on your class, and blocking is gear dependent. An interesting experiment for PvP balance that Trion did for RIFT was to eliminate all gear bonuses for instanced PvP on a test server. The results? The same few people who were decked out in top of the line gear still won by a landslide. Literally the only defining factor was skill, and the same people topped the scoreboard.

The reason people want geared players is mainly for damage output and a baseline for survivability. If a single mistake is going to oneshot you in your tier 1 armor, you're going to have to be incredulously good in order to not be a detriment to your party, and of course your damage isn't going to be on par. That's why there's craftable and questline gearsets. Baseline.The thing is, the armor should not make so much of a difference that you MUST be geared in order to be even considered for a group. It should be a nice perk, something to shoot for, since the game needs that carrot on a stick, but I draw the line at where armor makes the difference between being two-shot and one-shot (that's fucking stupid, come on)!

My main problem is that it muddies the waters as it is an added variable on top of everything else. For one example, I was very good at PvP in Aion, but still would otherwise get completely destroyed by players who are even on the same skill level as me simply because they played more. That is bullshit. I'm not putting up with that crap anymore. My tolerance level for that kind of crap has reached a negative number at this point.

But I wanna wear one of those swirly effects, wings, and a tail I might not have the stats for. As it is now, I have to hide all my units because I don't like the looks of them. PSO2 needs armor skinning.
Sure, that'd be nice to have, but as far as costumes go reskinning is mercifully unnecessary (can you imagine if they had stats on them like units? Gawd...).

Poubelle
Mar 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
No, that's total bullshit. There's absolutely no excuse. Hit boxes have NOTHING AT ALL to do with the visual representation of the character model. They can have as many sliders as PSO2 with the exact same hitboxes for everybody and it would work exactly the same as it does now.

Yeah, they COULD do that (give everyone the same hitboxes), but in TERA different body types have different hit boxes. In TERA the visual representation does match the hitbox.

Zipzo
Mar 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
Everyone has different priorities, and the combat alone is not necessarily the "areas that are important" on its own (actually, it's just one area, and the support systems surrounding the combat are as important as the combat itself IMO).

And having a small number of preset eye colors that is tied to make-up is exactly what I was talking about. That's shit. What makes it particularly jarring is that including an option to choose eye color from a list of hues isn't even hard to implement, just make a damn shader that changes the hue based on an RGB value, wtf excuse do they have for not including something that basic? Elin ears and tail not being colorable or even color-matched to hair is another major knock in that area, something easily done yet completely ignored by the devs for whatever reason. I should also mention that skin tones are terribly restricted - you can't make a brown-skinned Elin, let alone a dark-skinned one, and a LOT of the swatches are irritatingly similar to one another (and aren't even in a logical ordering, to boot). And still no body sliders.

Yeah, character customization is pretty fucking important to me, I'll have you know. (Dragon Nest and Vindictus are terribly lacking in this area as well.)

The problem with loot defining your character is it, again, completely defeats the point of having a skill-based combat system that provides you with a strong sense of agency in the game. Once you lose that sense of agency (i.e. the result of a fight is no longer in your hands, but in the hands of the stats or RNG) the combat system no longer matters, because your victory is basically predetermined. This is especially bad in competitive games as you get a real sense of futility when you know that your chances of victory are basically nullified simply because you did not put in the dozens-to-hundreds of hours needed to match your opponents for gear. This is one of the only things that Guild Wars 2 did right with its system of every PvPer being on even ground (at least for sPvP - WvW is a different animal entirely).

The fact that something has "ALWAYS been" is completely irrelevant and an appeal to tradition, which has nothing to do with logic and everything to do with rationalizing something after the fact.

Armor skinning is irrelevant because, again, PSO2 does not require armor skinning as you can just wear whatever the hell you want without regard for stats (units aside, which barely even count as armor aesthetically). Now, the fact that there is more than one slot for armor DOES matter, but not so much, since you can only change your headgear (most of which are paid-for accessories or endgame content), footwear, and gloves - only the headgear is actually noticeable, while gloves and footwear barely change anything at all (and there are very few combinations that actually match, much as was the case in PSU). Personally I consider this point to be a wash as PSO2 introduces new outfits at a far brisker pace than other games, and will likely overtake every other game on the market in terms of sheer volume of available choices very, very quickly. This even includes TERA's uniquely race-specific outfit designs - it's only a matter of time with how slowly BHS has been introducing new armor sets into the game.

Again, though, there is nothing quite like PSO2 on the market at this time. Yes, there are other action RPGs out there that are at least comparable combat-wise, but nothing with the very distinct cocktail of aesthetics and design that is the Phantasy Star Online universe.
Uh...you could same the same for many shitty games...

If your only bargaining chip is that PSO2 has a unique coat of paint over a sub-par combat system (compared to other options out there that are also action combat based and are better designed), the. You can go ahead and have it...

Your emphasis seems to be on aesthetics. That's fine. I prefer high-skill-cap based gameplay so there is wider variety in tier of players. Your argument about gear being too important is ridiculous. Especially when you're ignoring the fact that all games mentioned have catch up mechanic for a set of gear in both PvE AND PvP (something pso2 doesn't even have nor could support), that with very casual play time and limited effort anybody could deck themselves out in, and perform JUST FINE. I've seen videos of T12 players killing Argon queen. Know how? Skill transcends gear. Even in TERA. ESPECIALLY in TERA. All you're showing is a lack of experience with the game.

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah, they COULD do that (give everyone the same hitboxes), but in TERA different body types have different hit boxes. In TERA the visual representation does match the hitbox.
That is entirely up to them, but that does not mean that that is the way it has to work.

And AFAIK the hitboxes are only race-specific, that does not mean that sliders would have to affect the hitboxes in some way - the more likely scenario is simply that they assign a separate hitbox to each race, and that is that.

Uh...you could same the same for many shitty games...

If your only bargaining chip is that PSO2 has a unique coat of paint over a sub-par combat system (compared to other options out there that are also action combat based and are better designed), the. You can go ahead and have it...

Your emphasis seems to be on aesthetics. That's fine. I prefer high-skill-cap based gameplay so there is wider variety in tier of players. Your argument about gear being too important is ridiculous. Especially when you're ignoring the fact that all games mentioned have catch up mechanic for a set of gear in both PvE AND PvP (something pso2 doesn't even have nor could support), that with very casual play time and limited effort anybody could deck themselves out in, and perform JUST FINE. I've seen videos of T12 players killing Argon queen. Know how? Skill transcends gear. Even in TERA. ESPECIALLY in TERA. All you're showing is a lack of experience with the game.
PSO2 also has the randomization of levels, emergency quests, emergency codes, rare mobs, and infections, things I consider defining aspects of the game. I'm actually kind of miffed that lots of people tend to ignore this. They do need to add more codes and more variations within those codes since repetition inevitably sets in after running code: collect a dozen times over, but the idea is sound.

Every one of the games you mentioned is extremely static and does very little to attempt to break up the monotony after the first playthrough, and that's something I think all games could do well to improve on.

And my argument about gear being too important is a sentiment shared by many players (ESPECIALLY Aion players, my guildmates in particular). There must be a happy medium between "be-all, end-all" and "completely worthless". TERA has not reached that medium. PSO2 gets close, but needs more reasons to go after rare gear (but then, it also needs less shitty drop rates, which is something everyone everywhere agrees on). Of course, that might not cure the stupid in the community that dictates certain players seek out only other players with a certain level of gear (that's something rather inherent to the concept of "gear levels" which really should be excised ASAP).

But as they say, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, an' all that. Clearly you have different priorities than me, and that's fine. But it bothers me that people are posting on this forum and saying that there's literally no reason for them to log into this game over any other - why are you even posting here in that case? It's irritating. I don't need this place to become an echo chamber of fan boys, but this is ridiculous.

Poubelle
Mar 18, 2013, 02:14 PM
No offense, but it seems like your only defense for PSO2 is that it's a good dress-up game (which it is).

As for your list of what defines PSO2 (randomization of levels, emergency quests, emergency codes, rare mobs, and infections) there's a whole laundry list of problems with the implementation of EACH of these things in PSO2.

For example, the randomization of levels was supposed to make the game less repetitive (I guess) but it really just makes for crappy level design and ruins the player's connection with the in-game world and areas. Nothing is memorable, there's no landmarks, you're just exploring area 'skins'. That one might be a personal problem, though... not sure. But every area in the game feels dull and lifeless.

Oh and as for rare bosses, I don't understand why the rare bosses seemingly have just as bad drop rates as everything else in the game. Once you manage to find a rare boss, you're still looking at a .00000001% drop rate. What's the point? And who came up with this crap

jooozek
Mar 18, 2013, 02:21 PM
you know
with this shitty rng in pso2
i know ill never touch a pachinko machine made by sega sammy

Sizustar
Mar 18, 2013, 02:30 PM
No offense, but it seems like your only defense for PSO2 is that it's a good dress-up game (which it is).

As for your list of what defines PSO2 (randomization of levels, emergency quests, emergency codes, rare mobs, and infections) there's a whole laundry list of problems with the implementation of EACH of these things in PSO2.

For example, the randomization of levels was supposed to make the game less repetitive (I guess) but it really just makes for crappy level design and ruins the player's connection with the in-game world and areas. Nothing is memorable, there's no landmarks, you're just exploring area 'skins'. That one might be a personal problem, though... not sure. But every area in the game feels dull and lifeless.

Oh and as for rare bosses, I don't understand why the rare bosses seemingly have just as bad drop rates as everything else in the game. Once you manage to find a rare boss, you're still looking at a .00000001% drop rate. What's the point? And who came up with this crap

Welcome to Japanese style Hunting game.

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 02:32 PM
A good dress-up game married with a competent (not excellent, but competent) combat system, a decent loot system, tons of progression (class levels, skill trees, grinding and affixing, mags, matter boards, client orders, partner NPCs), some great music, and loads of randomness.

I don't disagree that it has loads of flaws, but I'm still enjoying myself quite a bit despite them, and I've clocked hundreds of hours so far. I think it is important to be fair here in that any game is going to inevitably become repetitive after many hundreds of hours of play, and those few games that can snare you for that much time are clearly doing something right.

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
And my argument about gear being too important is a sentiment shared by many players (ESPECIALLY Aion players, my guildmates in particular).

Aion was even worse since you had to farm defining skills for your class. Like yeah in PSO2 you'll need that rare PA or technic disk, but could you imagine if Brave Stance or Weak Bullet was a rare drop?

Like the skillbooks you can only find in a higher level area than you can first learn it at, off random stuff only found in that specific area, that requires a group to clear. As a Chanter, I needed this thing because it is the only opener, the only chaser, the only stun, and the only ranged attack available to the class. I also absolutely needed the only decent healing spell available to Chanters which was a rare drop off a group instance boss with a lockout timer that I needed to permanently slot into my skill build. And then I had to farm for months to get a Lannok weapon because it was the best "extendable" weapon set which gives all melee classes just a tiny bit extra reach on their attacks. Melee was straight up fucked in PvP, especially in flight because all your skills roots you in place, and it's a valid evasive tactic to fly straight up since no AoE hitbox extends vertically at all. Also every single person was at the speed cap, so any movement speed buff was entirely useless as a gap closer. Like the short burst of speed Gladiators get that is amazing while low level? Yeah, at cap the skill doesn't change your speed stat at all. Garbage.

And don't even get me started on PvE raiding being the defacto standard way of gaining PvP ranks. The fastest way to earn points, the safest way to retain points, and you don't even have to see a single player from the opposing faction.

I did like their character creator, though.

brian3000
Mar 18, 2013, 03:08 PM
Love this feedback XD. But anyways, it seems that everyone has their reasons for pso2 to be boring/grindy and for pso2 to be fun. To add in something else, I found myself glued to PSU for hours among hours and I always wonder why lol.

RagolianHunter
Mar 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
The food. I mean hell dimates are like electronic tacos! Yummy.

That and my white tuxedo!

Shadowth117
Mar 18, 2013, 03:27 PM
Love this feedback XD. But anyways, it seems that everyone has their reasons for pso2 to be boring/grindy and for pso2 to be fun. To add in something else, I found myself glued to PSU for hours among hours and I always wonder why lol.

I felt like, as has been mentioned before, PSU was better in that it like PSO didn't use randomness in its level design. But that's been said a lot in here so no reason to say what's been said. I will say that the randomness IS a cool idea providing that its not used for everything. A few randomly put together levels would be cool, but as I recall even in PSU in levels like Passport to Subspace, this does get boring after a time and its nice in my opinion at least to be able to play levels that won't completely change.

Combat in this is fun to me, with some balance issues that don't need to be delved into here, and it keeps me in the game learning to be effective with it. This combined with Time Attack missions, which while not quite the same remind of PSO and PSU's more set levels, keep me going a bit I guess. And as an RPG fan, I do like to build up a set of powerful gear for my character so that pushes me a bit as well.

Blundy
Mar 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
outfits, and the game is fun, hopeful about bows

Zipzo
Mar 18, 2013, 03:34 PM
That is entirely up to them, but that does not mean that that is the way it has to work.

And AFAIK the hitboxes are only race-specific, that does not mean that sliders would have to affect the hitboxes in some way - the more likely scenario is simply that they assign a separate hitbox to each race, and that is that.

PSO2 also has the randomization of levels, emergency quests, emergency codes, rare mobs, and infections, things I consider defining aspects of the game. I'm actually kind of miffed that lots of people tend to ignore this. They do need to add more codes and more variations within those codes since repetition inevitably sets in after running code: collect a dozen times over, but the idea is sound.

Every one of the games you mentioned is extremely static and does very little to attempt to break up the monotony after the first playthrough, and that's something I think all games could do well to improve on.

And my argument about gear being too important is a sentiment shared by many players (ESPECIALLY Aion players, my guildmates in particular). There must be a happy medium between "be-all, end-all" and "completely worthless". TERA has not reached that medium. PSO2 gets close, but needs more reasons to go after rare gear (but then, it also needs less shitty drop rates, which is something everyone everywhere agrees on). Of course, that might not cure the stupid in the community that dictates certain players seek out only other players with a certain level of gear (that's something rather inherent to the concept of "gear levels" which really should be excised ASAP).

But as they say, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, an' all that. Clearly you have different priorities than me, and that's fine. But it bothers me that people are posting on this forum and saying that there's literally no reason for them to log into this game over any other - why are you even posting here in that case? It's irritating. I don't need this place to become an echo chamber of fan boys, but this is ridiculous.I just love how you mention all of PSO2s "positives" but completely neglect to mention the other games positives.

You can make a laundry list out of the positive features of *any* game. It doesn't make your point any less silly. Every game has features that may or may not be marred with issues and PSO2 is no exception.

That being said I don't see how this is being fan boyish, I'm being realistic. All things being said I play PSO2 a LOT more often than TERA.

I think the fanboy award belongs to...

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 03:39 PM
Well that's how it works. You play a game until some fatal flaw ruins everything for you, then switch to a game that offers something else but doesn't trip the same gag reflex.

The "better" game is the one with things you like and not things you can't stand

Zyrusticae
Mar 18, 2013, 03:46 PM
I just love how you mention all of PSO2s "positives" but completely neglect to mention the other games positives.

You can make a laundry list out of the positive features of *any* game. It doesn't make your point any less silly. Every game has features that may or may not be marred with issues and PSO2 is no exception.
I think you're missing the point here. The game has enough things that make it stand out on its own even with its flaws, that is the point.

I don't play TERA or Vindictus anymore (never touched Dragon Nest out of lack of interest) and there are many reasons for that...

That being said I don't see how this is being fan boyish, I'm being realistic. All things being said I play PSO2 a LOT more often than TERA.

I think the fanboy award belongs to...
I wasn't saying anything like that. Read that last sentence again.

The Walrus
Mar 18, 2013, 04:02 PM
tbh the only reason I still play this game is cause of it's namesake. Had it been called PSU2 I would've dropped it months ago.

IF I KEEP PLAYING EVENTUALLY IT WILL GET GOOD.

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 04:06 PM

It's the Law of Averages: If I play for a thousand hours, the chance that I'll enjoy at least one hour will increase!

brian3000
Mar 18, 2013, 04:07 PM
tbh the only reason I still play this game is cause of it's namesake. Had it been called PSU2 I would've dropped it months ago.

^ Good Point.

BIG OLAF
Mar 18, 2013, 04:10 PM
God you fucking people. This thread was so docile and civil this morning.

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 18, 2013, 04:16 PM
Nerds

brian3000
Mar 18, 2013, 04:18 PM

Lol True

Zipzo
Mar 18, 2013, 04:20 PM

And then a wild Big Olaf appeared...

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 04:20 PM
but the first 50 or so posts were talking about how bad and boring PSO2 is

Poubelle
Mar 18, 2013, 04:22 PM

It's kind of ironic that you burst in to make a profane and useless spam post in order to say that the thread quality has lowered.

It seems like people are having pretty civil discussion.

The Walrus
Mar 18, 2013, 04:22 PM
Then PSOW happened

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
god I hate this website and this game and everyone who posts or plays it/them/here, especially YOU

Keyblade59
Mar 18, 2013, 04:33 PM
god I hate this website and this game and everyone who posts or plays it/them/here, especially YOU

A forum is not without it's assholes. Every person has an asshole.

Anyway the shininess from the red drop box never stops seizing to keep me mesmerized when it shows up. I loved it since PSO, still love it now.

UnLucky
Mar 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
Anyway the shininess from the red drop box never stops seizing to keep me mesmerized when it shows up. I loved it since PSO, still love it now.It loses its magic in AQs

"not another goddamn red weapon that costs more to tekk than its worth"

even boss crystals can contain untekked red weapons, it's ridiculous

Bellion
Mar 18, 2013, 05:19 PM
What? Bosses don't drop red weapons in AQs. Maybe some mobs died near the crystal and dropped a boxed red weapon.

Noxia
Mar 18, 2013, 05:27 PM
RELEASE IT TO WEST DAMN IT !!! MY WRATH IS GROWING !!

gigawuts
Mar 18, 2013, 05:29 PM
What? Bosses don't drop red weapons in AQs. Maybe some mobs died near the crystal and dropped a boxed red weapon.

Ha ha ha...oh yes. Yes they do. A buddy of mine got a red rifle off an umbra and I've gotten plenty of red weapons off boss crystals with nothing else around. Oh, oh yes they do.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 18, 2013, 05:39 PM
Ha ha ha...oh yes. Yes they do. A buddy of mine got a red rifle off an umbra and I've gotten plenty of red weapons off boss crystals with nothing else around. Oh, oh yes they do.

I can confirm this as well. EVERYTHING in AQ can drop red rares. Even clones do that trick. It's pretty annoying. I have yet to see a rare boss drop me a red series but I'm sure it will happen eventually. *awaits crys draal and red wired lance boxed*

Bellion
Mar 18, 2013, 05:47 PM
Huh, I haven't encountered one red weapon drop from a boss from all the times I've been running AQs. Seriously? Damn, my mistake.

Edit: I bet I'll get one within the next 5 bosses after knowing that it can actually happen.

suzaku0zero0
Jun 10, 2013, 12:54 PM
Client Orders, Matter hunts, leveling. and my driving desire to one day have the Crome Dragon wings unit the Rear/ChromeVeil and the Dragon Slayer sword...

got those :D

gigawuts
Jun 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
So what keeps you playing PSO2?
nothing

lol

the game succeeded in frustrating me enough to take action, except I didn't buy something to avoid the frustration like the devs intended and instead stopped signing in

Cyron Tanryoku
Jun 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
How do you even play PSO2

darkante
Jun 10, 2013, 01:01 PM
Keeps playing?
Hmm..havenīt touched it since November methinks.
Man, time sure flies.

jooozek
Jun 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
naivety
oh me

BlankM
Jun 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
Personal friends, attachment to the series, and that gnawing feeling I haven't gotten everything I want yet.

It also looks pretty I will admit. Though some will argue otherwise, I think detail really shines through in specific parts of the game.

And yeah the promise of new content. Episode 2 honestly looks like a step up in quality, but it may be too little too late for me to stay engaged the whole time.

Shinamori
Jun 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
Because it's the only MMO I'll play and spend money on.

Z-0
Jun 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
I'm not even sure anymore.

Right now I don't have much else to play, and I really don't like how I'll play a game for few months ~ year, then drop it due to incompetent design. I need something I can stick with. x.x;;;

gigawuts
Jun 10, 2013, 01:50 PM
I really don't like how I'll play a game for few months ~ year, then drop it due to incompetent design. I need something I can stick with. x.x;;;

Build a time machine and travel to a point in the future when enough gamers feel the same way, and the market eventually caters to them.

There was a point in time where things were made to last, including games. But that time ended when people realized they can make cheaper, inferior products flashier, and make more money because of all the extra purchases. This is true in day to day items, and it's true in games. Unfortunately, games have advanced so far that any game that was made to seem good and interesting for a long period of time is, I dunno, two or three generations old by now.

ShadowDragon28
Jun 10, 2013, 04:50 PM
What keeps me playing? Um. I dont have a Dragon Slayer or Double Cannon. When I have both, I will have completed my main goals in this game to obtain those and...
To drink tea and kick ass, and I'm aaaall out of tea.

Dongra
Jun 10, 2013, 06:07 PM
Nothing really, I stopped playing after playing for about two weeks again.

Enforcer MKV
Jun 10, 2013, 06:22 PM
I need something I can stick with. x.x;;;

I have a nagging feeling that this has been covered before, but have you tried Monster Hunter? The one on 3DS is pretty fun, once you get used to it.

I mean, I haven't even progressed that far...I just run around catching bugs. *ahem*

...I'm an incredibly dull and boring person. Goddammit. ._.;

SakuRei
Jun 10, 2013, 06:38 PM
What keeps me playing PSO2...

For my gaming purposes.

Well... It's the best Sci-Fi game I've ever played, even topped my recent favorite Sci-Fi MMO RF Online to be honest. Plus PSO2 has no PvP System which you will only have problem if your teammate in the party is not good at cooperating during a field run. Plus it has certain crossovers from other games or anime (I think?). And also some voice options in-game has my favorite voice actors/actresses (ex. Kana Hanazawa, Eri Kitamura, Youko Hikasa, Nobuhiko Okamoto, Ryohei Kimura, Hiroshi Kamiya, etc. etc.) Plus people in Ship: 02 are quite nice though there are some mean and arrogant people sometimes out of the blue, but it's still okay for me.

For roleplaying purposes.

The story on the Matterboard Quests is okay, if you get bored out on the ARKS mission and you have nothing to do or tired to do TACOs, AQ's, EX, etc. etc. runs, you can stop by and do story quests for fun. Plus the Autoword System gives a fine touch on how to make your character's personality be/look like. This might sound weird but whenever I'm bored most of the time, I do hunting roleplay alone by myself most of the time at Naberius Forest or at Naberius Ruins whenever I get bored or got nothing to do to get the soldier/hunter-like experience. ^^;

Jei182
Jun 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
I agree with SakuRei. And I love how customizable the characterization is. I can't wait for EP2 for the character slot even if I don't make a.....(I forgot what they were called). I know they rhyme with Newman. I probably will end up making one and at one point I still plan on buying that extra character ticket. Also, because I just started and still have a lot to figure out, I'll probably be playing this until the US (which is looking slim) version comes out.

I've also managed to make my bro more of an addict and he's getting a friend setup on the game right now. I think part of the reason is he wants to see how long it'll take for his friend to get the Hirigana right.

yoshiblue
Jun 10, 2013, 07:33 PM
Seeing people and them not knowing its me.

Ninja Boss

Zenobia
Jun 10, 2013, 07:44 PM
Gigabutts assclaps Cyrons Sadist personality Nassa's iron steel body.....um bewbs?

gigawuts
Jun 10, 2013, 07:49 PM
Gigabutts assclaps Cyrons Sadist personality Nassa's iron steel body.....um bewbs?

This is the best post on psow.

Courina
Jun 10, 2013, 09:39 PM
Just Love...

Gama
Jun 10, 2013, 10:00 PM
-like the mechanics

-like to play dress the avatar

-like to chat with peeps

-like's my team. actually love them, and id hump any of its members if i found them in real life. (yes run)

-pso is pretty much the only genre of online game i truely enjoy.

BlankM
Jun 10, 2013, 10:32 PM
People were talking about TERA? I dunno I did not find that game very fun/accessible...

Monster Hunter nails its theme, and has solid execution, but the controls and gameplay aren't all that exciting to me.

PSO2 is like a very simple watered-down action JRPG with gacha attached. I mean the nod to the past games is nice, and thats what initially attracted me. But yeah, its still the only game I'd be interested in of its genre at the moment. I wouldn't say SEGA has the market considering MH comparisons are there and its most likely more successful financially, but it is a valid point.

I would love if SEGA capitalized on this. Like Sonic the hedgehog, they have a game that no one else is making and they need to emphasize it.

helel8012
Jun 10, 2013, 10:38 PM
Cuz it's the best game for vita. And I've been a die hard pso fan since 2003

The Walrus
Jun 10, 2013, 10:47 PM
Cuz it's the best game for vita.

lolno

Reyva
Jun 10, 2013, 11:01 PM
Nah, best game for me at least on vita was Persona 4 golden. Others views will differ obviously.

Eh last time I even bothered with PSO2 was a while back....maybe a month or so ago to chat with a old friend. I was gonna get back into it, but just can't lol. I get bored within a couple minutes.

And new costumes / cast parts don't help either. I get a really cool looking cast F that I get bored with in minutes. So I definitely ain't in it for costumes lol.

Combat USED to be amazing for me. It was fun for a good while.

In short, its just like PSU / PSO where I got bored eventually and played it randomly in the future. So not going to diss it since I've played way crappier games lol.

Then again, any MMO or online room based rpg to me these days are boring. Only use for them for me is creating web apps for them for gamers who play those games.

So I get my fix from console games as for some reason, I never got bored of console RPGs and so on. Doubt the new update coming for this game will get me back into it. Probably enough to make me stay logged in for a day? lol.

BIG OLAF
Jun 10, 2013, 11:23 PM
lolno

....there are other games for the Vita?

Swaggerjak
Jun 10, 2013, 11:29 PM
The amount of money that I've spent on AC... and I do enjoy the gameplay.