PDA

View Full Version : Designing a Phantasy Star Game

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 02:12 AM
While PSO2 is definitely fun, it doesn't quite seem like it captures and makes the best of everything in the series. The environments are pretty generic, the characters are stereotypes and the weapons don't have as many unique abilities as one would like. If the power were in your hands what would you do? How would you implement the game?

Which console/system or platform would you have it for?
What would the story be?
What would the areas be like?
What kind of weapon types would you have?
What would the game play consist of?
What kind of costumes and outfits would you have?
Where would the game take place?
When would the game take place?
What would the main enemy or goal be?
How would you implement the game content or updates?
What style would the graphics be?
What kind of music and sound effects would it have?
How many players would be on at once?
What kind of areas would there be and how would they be separated?

DreamState83
Mar 22, 2013, 02:15 AM
-Completely open world/universe (no instancing)
-More thought out side stories
-Rich character and sub character development
-Secrets that take a lot of work to crack
-Play as side story characters in a "walk a mile in their shoes" sort of way

That's all I've got for now.

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 22, 2013, 02:22 AM
-Completely open world/universe (no instancing)

I don't mind the rest of what you suggested but this just wouldn't work for a PS game

DreamState83
Mar 22, 2013, 02:26 AM
I don't mind the rest of what you suggested but this just wouldn't work for a PS game

It could work with the proper setup, imo. Phantasy Star started as a pseudo-open world game way back in the beginning and only became an instanced crawler due to hardware and budget limitations in the jump to 3d.

NoiseHERO
Mar 22, 2013, 02:28 AM
What we have but:

-minus cash cow gimmicks
-more outfits/hairstyles for guys/casts
-more weapons
-more PAs
-more lobbies
-eternal tower.
-distinctive, memorable level design.
-leather jackets
-take out dudu (take out dudu and the rest is optional)

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 22, 2013, 02:29 AM
It could work with the proper setup, imo. Phantasy Star started as a pseudo-open world game way back in the beginning and only became an instanced crawler due to hardware and budget limitations in the jump to 3d.

I'm sorry I just prefer the lobby system it has now instead of the open world stuff almost every mmo has now a days but that's more of a preference

DreamState83
Mar 22, 2013, 02:32 AM
I'm sorry I just prefer the lobby system it has now instead of the open world stuff almost every mmo has now a days but that's more of a preference

I can see where you are coming from with your preference. I too thought of some mmo's that have done the formula to death but I didn't have something like WoW in mind - I thought of having "mini planets" to explore, while retaining the starship lobby. Just something to make the world feel more alive and interconnected than stage 1, stage 2, boss.

Crystal_Shard
Mar 22, 2013, 02:36 AM
Sounds more like you want a system like the one in the last Star Ocean game.

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 02:37 AM

For phantasy star I definitely think the instance system tends to work. Rather than an open world, a small enclosed space seems to force you into engagements and give the player strategic options for how to get past them. It's just a matter of how you implement that so it gives a sense of being in a larger whole.

Zyrusticae
Mar 22, 2013, 02:39 AM
Phantasy Star also started as a single-player RPG... I don't think you can really use that as a basis for what the Online games should be.

Personally, the underlying motivation for this topic is exactly why I play many different games depending on my mood, and even today I've only clocked some 600 hours into PSO2 (for reference: I broke the 1,000 hour mark in PSU, even starting when the level cap was 150, and I broke 1,500 hours in Aion. Yeah, I have lots of free time). PSO2 is my "be a ripped uber-badass" game right alongside Dragon's Dogma, Mechwarrior Online gives me my stompy-robot-PvP fix, Starcraft II gives me co-op vs. AI for challenging co-op gameplay (try it - it's fun!), Crysis 3 gives me my shiny GPU-melting playable graphics benchmark, and so on and so forth.

I am under no illusion that any game can be all things to all players, or that devs are anything close to infallible, and on and on. Hence my expectations are always kept low so that I may be pleasantly surprised (some exceptions, like Blade & Soul, which I am unabashedly STILL excited for despite being burned by MMOs for so long), hence I switch to other games when I get bored or frustrated with the flaws in one, etc., etc.

Despite all the flaws, I actually feel PSO2 is a remarkably competently built game, and the fact that it remains fun to play despite hundreds of hours of gameplay (there are only three games I've played in recent memory that manage to get that much playtime out of me) is a testament to this. It could be better in many ways, and if they did such improvements it would instantly get propelled into the position of one of the Greatest Games of All Time, but you know what? I'm sick of whining. Sick of reading about it, sick of participating in it, sick of just being there to hear and read people go on and on and on about this shit when they really should not be so goddamned invested in it.

Can't be helped, I guess. Nature of the internet and all that. I'm just not interested in thinking about "what-ifs", though. They're just depressing. Too goddamn depressing to consider for more than an idle thought. I'd rather go play more games.

Valimer
Mar 22, 2013, 02:41 AM
The only huge problem I have is rare weapons need more unique properties. I like what they did with being able to upgrade weapons, It's nice to be able to upgrade and sort of customize your weapon if you haven't found a rare.

Also, I would literally throw money at SEGA just to have some decent male outfits.

Valimer
Mar 22, 2013, 03:05 AM
For phantasy star I definitely think the instance system tends to work. Rather than an open world, a small enclosed space seems to force you into engagements and give the player strategic options for how to get past them. It's just a matter of how you implement that so it gives a sense of being in a larger whole.

Yeah, PSO can pull off the instanced system quite nice. It fits the story and setting well.

I don't feel that the areas are lacking in variety, but the design in general is really shallow. They have the opportunity to be so creative with instances, but they just are not interesting. And even on a technical level, those low poly rocks and stuff jsut stick out like a sore thumb.

Renette
Mar 22, 2013, 03:11 AM
A stronger story line is what I crave for. I'm not so experienced with MMORPGs, so you can correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of Free-to-Play MMOs I've played had some really weak story lines. I like stories that make me think and reflect on the things I've done during my gameplay. Maybe a really good plot twist -- And I don't mean an M. Night Shyamalan plot twist. Maybe that's too much to ask for a F2P MMORPG, but it's wishful thinking!

Also, more Male Outfits. Especially one with a Rappy theme! Like a feather design or something. I'm a female, myself. But I sometimes roll with my Male Character. Needs more Yellow.

gigawuts
Mar 22, 2013, 03:17 AM
A game based around 1-4 player gameplay, an emphasis on items and actually getting them, a number of side stories, and a nice chunk of non-combat zones relevant to the side stories tied to a deep main story. Balanced skill trees (or rather, balanced class abilities - trees not required) and then the combat style of PSO2, plus the vividness and focus on neat areas of PSO1.

Something like a mix of PSO, Borderlands, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I could play that game for months without it getting old.

Poubelle
Mar 22, 2013, 03:28 AM
A stronger story line is what I crave for. I'm not so experienced with MMORPGs, so you can correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of Free-to-Play MMOs I've played had some really weak story lines. I like stories that make me think and reflect on the things I've done during my gameplay. Maybe a really good plot twist -- And I don't mean an M. Night Shyamalan plot twist. Maybe that's too much to ask for a F2P MMORPG, but it's wishful thinking!

Also, more Male Outfits. Especially one with a Rappy theme! Like a feather design or something. I'm a female, myself. But I sometimes roll with my Male Character. Needs more Yellow.

I would agree about a better storyline.

In the case of PSO2, the established story (if you want to call it that...) so-far is such garbage that I don't think they could ever salvage it.

sadly that's not even really one of the biggest issues with PSO2. just one small issue among many glaring flaws in the game design.

blace
Mar 22, 2013, 03:32 AM
A game based around 1-4 player gameplay, an emphasis on items and actually getting them, a number of side stories, and a nice chunk of non-combat zones relevant to the side stories tied to a deep main story. Balanced skill trees (or rather, balanced class abilities - trees not required) and then the combat style of PSO2, plus the vividness and focus on neat areas of PSO1.

Something like a mix of PSO, Borderlands, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I could play that game for months without it getting old.
Seeing as how the maximum party size is 4 players, one would expect as much. Sadly, the only backup you can ever hope to have is an AI with enough competence to be more than fodder/meathsield.

I kind of liked how Lost Planet 2 did their co-op campaign experience, each player is integral to the teams survival.

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 03:35 AM
I was hoping this thread could get down to specifics rather than just being conceptual. Having "deep involving side stories", is different from actually sitting down and writing a story with one. What would be the general environment of the game (how would you set up the general layout), and what would be the basic premise of the story?

Poubelle
Mar 22, 2013, 03:37 AM
Also, I would probably do away with MPAs entirely outside of the Emergency Quests. it's a neat feature for the server events but I don't like levelling/free exploration areas being based around the MPA concept.

I kind of wish there was roles in the party and strategies involved. for example with bosses, you need everyone to be performing a specific role, or the whole party will get punished as a result. stuff that needs coordination, where skilled Teams would get rewarded for knowing how to work together.

blace
Mar 22, 2013, 03:39 AM
The layout I have in mind would be more open, than what we have now. Map layouts in desert, mines, tundra and ruins are the ones that come to mind ideally that they're only limited because of the state of the area.

Instead of having to run through a trench through a forest, it could open up into a larger field, seen in the opening videos and such. There's not a whole lot of depth to the current layouts due to how limiting each area is made.

Poubelle
Mar 22, 2013, 03:41 AM
I was hoping this thread could get down to specifics rather than just being conceptual. Having "deep involving side stories", is different from actually sitting down and writing a story with one. What would be the general environment of the game (how would you set up the general layout), and what would be the basic premise of the story?

Well, I'm not going to sit down and write up a Phantasy Star story for you, but the basic concept for PSO2 is fine... some evil force is infecting the wildlife/planets and ARKs are trying to stop it.

but there would need to be explanation. Character development. Characters you care about. Back stories. Where did the ARKs come from originally? What are the backstories of the planets we are going to? What's the backstory of this ship we're on? There's just way too many "WHY"s that don't get addressed all over PSO2, or they're just briefly mentioned and then buried.

blace
Mar 22, 2013, 03:46 AM
Well, I'm not going to sit down and write up a Phantasy Star story for you, but the basic concept for PSO2 is fine... some evil force is infecting the wildlife/planets and ARKs are trying to stop it.

but there would need to be explanation. Character development. Characters you care about. Back stories. Where did the ARKs come from originally? What are the backstories of the planets we are going to? What's the backstory of this ship we're on? There's just way too many "WHY"s that don't get addressed all over PSO2, or they're just briefly mentioned and then buried.
Or at least why we're doing what we're currently doing. At least in PSO the basic background story was that war has ravaged their homeworld and are seeking for a new place to call home. Whereas in PSO2, looking for suitable planets, exterminating the natives and collecting materials from each planet and its inhabitants doesn't really lend much to what it is we're doing.

At the very least, why is the Oracle fleet so massive and why are only 10, out of the hundreds of ships seen, the only ones that seem to have a military presence?

Renette
Mar 22, 2013, 04:23 AM
At the very least, why is the Oracle fleet so massive and why are only 10, out of the hundreds of ships seen, the only ones that seem to have a military presence?

I'm wondering about this, too. It would be nice to provide some background story about what's so special these 10 specific ships. As I said before, this may be too much to ask for because it's a free-to-play MMORPG, but I really like to get a good sense of my character's surroundings.

If you want to get really technical about what I would change about PSO2, it seems fine as it is. I know there are a few things I don't like about it, like how you have to pay for Trading. But it's understandable why it's meant to do that. Just wish it didn't have to be that way.

I would like to see a Cash On Delivery system or COD for short, in the mail where if you have a weapon or armor and you don't want to use the Shops to sell it. Send it through the mail, but the recipient has to pay the required amount the seller and the recipient agreed upon. I've seen it done, it's pretty nifty.

Angelo
Mar 22, 2013, 04:56 AM
Three planets, open world action MMO like TERA but streamlined for twitchy action gameplay like DCUO..

Overall style (aesthetic, music, feel) of the online games with the backbone being more like the original Phantasy Star series.

The original PSO wasn't even a Phantasy Star game during development, the franchise was pretty much shoehorned in at the last moment. Sega mainly wanted to capitalize on the success of Diablo and studied elements of the game to make a title for the Dreamcast.

Planet Exploration (open world with towns and dungeons), dynamic characters (full customization), Lengthy story, Rivalries and betrayal (PvP), and of course Dark Falz are all a recipe for a genuine Phantasy Star experience online.

I love PSO2 as it is, and for the kind of game it is, but it's really more like a Dreamcast-esque Diablo than an actual Phantasy Star game.

Shadowth117
Mar 22, 2013, 05:31 AM
If it were up to me...
Well for one thing, this game would be on all possible systems, and released simultaneously in all regions with global servers. Its clear that the game looks like something less than an Xbox 360 launch title graphics wise so putting it on that, the PS3, Vita, Wii U and PC would sound like a good plan to me. Preferably, forwards compatibility would exist so that Xbox 720 and/or PS4 would be able to play the game and in better quality.

Story would definitely be dark just since I prefer tones like that. I would likely make it so that partway through your character realizes their superiors are leading them towards dubious objectives and there ends up being a sort of civil war within the main faction of the game. Dark Falz would appear to be playing a part in this until the story reveals that its Profound Darkness that really holds the cards. It may be cheesy having them as main villain entities, but it seems fitting for the series and I feel like if it was done well it could still be an interesting story.

Areas would be far more varied for one thing. Yeah, I'd throw in some earth-like areas every now and then, but there would be many very alien areas as well. More scifi areas would also be put in since these are nice and there's a noticeable lack of them in the current game. This would look more foreign than how PSO2 portrays its future society because in my opinion I feel that most of PSO2's city area is pretty similar to a modern day city.

Jesus, weapon types... I would probably try to have all possible weapon types from past games and this one in some way or another, but it would definitely be a priority for them to be balanced. 3/4 of the weapons in the game being useless in comparison to other things doesn't really sound like a reasonable idea to me.

Gameplay overall would be like current PSO2, but with more polish. Characters would overall move faster and would need to in order to combat enemies that are actually difficult. Some enemies will be cheese to fight although they would mostly be that way because they were either beginner enemies or the player was very familiar with their pattern. There would be a lack of randomness overall as well as well as clear based missions so that the player is forced to go all the way through them. End boxes with special drops would be available at the ends of missions to further promote clearing.

As far as outfits go, Sakai's vision for the game to allow players to play as whatever the hell they want pretty much seems like a good structure to follow. If possible, more collaborations with anime and such would be done in addition to original outfits just to give variety. And at the end of the day, the money made from these costumes would help pay for development of the game. It wouldn't be the main focus or take the place of a normal update by any means. Clothing that doesn't originate from a service involving paying real money would also be added on occasion, although this would be far less frequent.

The setting of the game wouldn't be anywhere very definite, similar to PSO2. However, there would be more places for the player to visit by far and instead of just 3 planets. While it wouldn't reference it much, it would be assumed that the game was taking place some time after PSO1 although references to it wouldn't be all over the place aside from in certain areas. Ragol would be an available planet for play more than likely.

Your agency would claim to be purifying planets or other areas from the influence of Dark Falz, but it would turn out that your efforts have only been spreading it. Gameplay wouldn't change much to reflect this as many natives would remain hostile regardless, but certain alien factions may join up with you in support of your eventual rebellion after a point.

Game content would start out similarly to how PSO2 did, BUT updates would be relatively frequent and almost always contain new, permanent content. Events would be played out similarly to how they were in PSU in that they would have missions which were available during their entire period set rather than random times. Emergency missions would exist and would give good items, but they wouldn't become the only thing worth running.

Graphics would be relatively realistic, but would have quite a bit of color. HUD and other 2D graphics would probably remain the same. Characters and enemies seem fine as they are overall as well, but environments would definitely be toned up at least a bit from what they currently are. There would certainly be noticeable landmarks throughout the areas and even if parts were repeated, it wouldn't be thrown together randomly except for perhaps specific cases.

Music would be akin to the first PSO while sound effects would probably remain as they currently are in PSO2. There would be a few separate variations of area themes, for battle, pse bursts, and such, but the randomness from the Sympathy system wouldn't be made use of.

Parties would probably allow for between 6 and 4 people with rare multi party areas that would allow around 16 people max. The possibility of more would be considered given the game could handle it well.

Areas would be quite varied. On a particular planet, advancing through quests would lead players a certain way. Field lobbies would exist in some way, but less of them would exist than in PSU and the ones that did exist would look quite unique and generally have some purpose to them, be it a town, a site of interest, or some kind of camp. NPC's would exist within these areas to prevent them from feeling empty and missions might be available from them.

And... that's just what I can think of for now. Kinda tired now though so I'll stop I think.

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 05:48 AM
I thought about it at work. For a gameplay setting I was thinking about having three planets with civilizations on each planets. A pioneer ship found a habitable solar system and decided to settle and tera-form the planets. Each planet would have it's own organization of hunters which you could choose to work under. Each group would have it's own group of scientist, and colonists that are not only trying to get resources on the planet, but resources and information from other branches of Arks.

The darkers would be negative dimensional beings. Being they would see the same area just in the opposite spectrum. The 'positive' photons being generated by Arks would be destructive material that would be wiping out darkers in the same region. Different Arks group would also be looking for a way to use darker essence as a material for power (resulting in combined enemies). There would also be darker area where you could go on quests to get something and be able to interact with darkers. By infusing your DNA with darker DNA you would be allowed to transfer your allegiance do the darkers to get rid of the Arks.

A large portion of the game would be player vs environment as well as player vs player. With resources in a single area or environment to be taken by your team. Everyone would only learn a small part of the larger story with their interaction with other players. And different events would come out each month furthering the story.

HiOc
Mar 22, 2013, 06:50 AM
Better class balancing.
Increased difficulty.
Tougher enemy AI.
Special abilities added to rares.
Interesting landscapes.
Better story line.
More male costumes.
Criticals actually doing massive damage.
PvP
Explore the city within the Arks Ship

That's all I can think of for now.

Poubelle
Mar 22, 2013, 07:03 AM
I don't know, you have to keep in mind if you change it too much its really not PSO anymore.

I mean, just having a fantasy/sci-fi setting with Phantasy Star tacked onto the title doesn't mean crap.

remember that open world isn't like, a progression of the stage system. they're totally different. and I think it's a .. pretty important part of PSO to be working towards the end of the stage and defeating bosses.

I definitely think PSO should FEEL more like an open world though, with city hubs and stuff to access the stages. It should feel more like it's a real setting. atm there's no connection to the ingame world, no immersion.

I definitely feel like PSO was immersive, as was PSU.

while the PSO online lobby was just whatever, once you entered Pioneer 2, you were in the game world. in PSO2, you're just jumping straight from the online lobby to randomized stages with boring designs. No immersion.

Alucard V
Mar 22, 2013, 07:16 AM
Which console/system or platform would you have it for?
What would the story be?
What would the areas be like?
What would the game play consist of?
What kind of costumes and outfits would you have?
Where would the game take place?
When would the game take place?
What would the main enemy or goal be?
How would you implement the game content or updates?
How many players would be on at once?
What kind of areas would there be and how would they be separated?

If I had a say in the matter it would be to make 2.
One a console RPG with nostalgic Sega Genesis controls to serve intro to the word, back story, fight back a mysterious invasion of monsters from your home Colony and so on. Maybe with a few post-story extras. Then the online RPG probably along the lines of of PSO2/PSU/PSP2I sense of class building and exploration though dungeon crawling.

Mopop
Mar 22, 2013, 07:34 AM
I want a carbon copy of PSO because my nostalgia glasses wont come off ><

Soultrigger
Mar 22, 2013, 08:46 AM
Make it an action RPG instead of a waifu simulator.

Oh, who am I kidding...

Laxedrane
Mar 22, 2013, 08:56 AM
*Which console/system or platform would you have it for?
PS3/4, Wii U, pc. And the servers would be international.(With a proper Gm system to deal with idiots)

*What would the story be?
I personally would like to revisit PSU world and better flesh it out. I personally believe PSU in the broader strokes and plot points especially in episodes 2 and 3 had the makings of a truly epic storyline. But sega rushed the story everything came and went to quickly and alot of the threats specifically the shit hitting the fan at the end of 2 were too quickly resolves to feel like threats.

I like to explore in more depth:
-The government that made up Moatoob before Tyler took over.

-The merchants they kept bringing up in the story but you never really get to meet in Moatoob.

-A better look into the three major into the three main weapon manufacturers. And the Kubura Article. Also to separate kubura article into only being knock off weapons and make all other weapons known as unsigned if not made by the big 3.

-A better look into both Nuadeiz and Moatoob culture. I feel Moatoob almost completely passed up. And Nuedeiz is always caught up with their religion and even then with only the top 2 people in there. They hint at a whole world of laws and shady practices that very rarely come up at all. Other leaders in the religion that just plain never show up. What about the middle and lower parts of the faction. What about the culture of the everyday people on bother planets? Huh

-A better build up of characters to power. I feel Maya is particularly guilty of this. She went from making very bad army rations to one of the foremost scientist out there, including head scientist for the guardians. How did she go from an air headed klutz to such renown. It can't be by "Oh my boyfriend I left a great deal of time ago died in front of me. I am going to take over his research. Oh btw I am awesome now." WHAAAAAT
I think that's enough examples>.>

As for new ideas, I like to bring back section IDs. They will be forms of various faction with the guardian community. I plan to have it be an added back story that the guardians actually used to be several separate mercenary companies that held the names of the old section IDs that came together built the colony. They did this becuase of the diversity of their members and the alienation they felt on their home planets for having other races in their ranks.

Yellowboze was the main financial backer to build the colony, being the richest group. However they passed leadership to Whitill group. And at the start of the game Whitil's Leader is usually names president.

Ids on players will only give them bonuses to finding certain weapon types both common and rare. Players can change section IDs once a month however the longer they stay on one the better the bonuses.

Each group will offer certain missions and under their alliance any ID can take them. However what group is offering the mission will determine the drop table. Not the players IDs.

*What would the areas be like?

What you come to expect but I also like to include more none main story mercenary missions. You know like actually doing strikes on the rogues hide-out and you know arresting them. Maybe assist the army in training. Escort jobs other then for the divine maiden. However I also in-vision between the Rogues and the eventual rise of the Illuminis. Going in and doing things like Thwarting bank robberies with hostages.(Somehow balance it so that you can like have your force or hunter rush in. Have the Force erect the shield or have the hunter deflect blows. While the rest of the group takes out the criminals.)

What was already there but I like to give single handed weapons more of a point. Maybe turn sabers into katanas and drop handguns for gunlashes like in this game. I would also adjust grenade a bit. Drop the main, off hand function. Get rid of TCSM and RCSM. To give tech users more options I bring in Boomerang, Gloves and Broadsword. How they utilize them I'll explain below.

*What would the game play consist of?
I would go with a fighter system like PSO2 with an adjustment to photon arts. There would be now, Normal, heavy, quick and special attacks.

Heavy is a slower stronger hit with a slight knock back. Quick is a faster hit which can cause an enemy to flinch. The swing animation will change based on type of attack.

Special attacks for normal weapons are based on what they are tekked with. If they have poison all hits can inflict poison but special will increase the likelihood. It's like a normal attack Just costs a miniscule amount of PP.

I'll bring back zero system of Photon arts with a slight twist. There will be two types. One attached to normal attacks and one that can added to the pallet directly. The one attached to normal attacks behave like they did in zero however charge significantly quicker. You can attach these types of photon arts to normal heavy and quick attacks at your preference from the menu. Generally these photon arts are low cost and deal quick combos added to your

The instantaneous ones that can be added to the pallet directly. Can either be tap or held. If you hold them down they will charge like the other ones but these will take longer. These photon arts have longer animations when held similar to the 2 or 3 part photon arts of PSU. You can break out of these when circles appear like they do for exact attacks and then tap the photon art to continue the combo on the next circle without loosing the PP. If you dodge out you loose the combo though.

I like to bring in more platforming elements. Like double jumps, Long jumps, and dashing. However I like to keep the platforming elements light and not too challenging. Just kind of to break up the game-play. However I like to utilize these things to bring in new areas and style of maps. Have the penalty for fucking up be low or non-existent.

*What kind of costumes and outfits would you have?
What was there. Plus outfits from today fashion. In that light I look to DoA5 for inspiration. Despite their legacy they had a very nice range of outfits there that went from fetishisic and skimpy to proper dress clothes and day to day attire. I especially loved the fact that all characters had proper dress attire with the exception of the two new ones and the ninjas. This game could use proper night Gowns and dress shirts on top of all the other fantastical outfits.

*What would the main enemy or goal be?
I like to keep away from having a main enemy until much later in the game life. Instead establishing the mercenary life that the guardians had before the Seeds came. It was under explored and I like players to feel like a mercenary joining the cause instead of just basically intergalactic police.

The over heading goal at the start would be to help make the guardian organization more powerful and trusted through=out the 3 planets. Gaining access to new areas and having more Jobs given to us from various groups.

*How would you implement the game content or updates?
I adjust how the game develops. I either shoot for a huge update once a month or small updates every 2 weeks.

What they always are in phantasy star. I feel a huge graphical style change would turn a lot of people off. Maybe have some special areas with surreal graphical style changes to enhances the uncanniness of that area.

Techno mixes for battles and normal areas. Maybe a switch up into pure orchestra for grandeur events. Have other styles of music based on what characters are there. If the game does really well maybe have special mixes in other Musical styles added for each planet that the player can freely change.

*How many players would be on at once?
4 players per team. MPA style missions available. But each team will take their own path. Each path have things that will effect the other players play. 90% of the time it will be strictly beneficial. With poorly executed attempts making less enemies spawn or boxes unreachable. You might be able to kill enemies from other paths by causing rock slides etc.

*What kind of areas would there be and how would they be separated?

I like to have more missions that take place in un-ruined still inhabited parts of the cities. A better feel for all planets and their multiple communities not just the major one. I like to also pull in game-play from other successful titles by sega to enhance the play. Like taking from All star racing have areas where you have to chance down targets or follow them. Escape Avalanches or eruptions after successfully clearing a mission.

PSU did have the sense of progress from getting from lobby to lobby. However I like to make it so once you unlock a certain lobby you can access it's missions from anywhere. I like to use other techniques such as affinities to give that sense of working towards progress as well.(Towards factions within the guardians or jobs directly from specific groups outside of it.)

Grady219
Mar 22, 2013, 04:24 PM
As far as the lobbies go, I would have made the lobbies more like PSZ's hub. You would have your central hub, which is the ARKs ship lobby. Then you would go down to which planet you were wanting to play on. In each one of these areas, there is the place you go to accept quests and an area you go to that has all the shops. All the players that are playing in those areas would all gather there to do quests and it would make finding parties a lot easier. It's also not gonna make way too many lobbies like PSU did.

Dongra
Mar 22, 2013, 04:55 PM
I would make it PSO HD version 5, PC only. Why change something that was already great?

Omega_Weltall
Mar 23, 2013, 12:00 AM
Well for one I would completely break away from the Online aspect and go back to single player RPG like it used to be. PSO just never felt like a Phantasy Star game to me.

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 23, 2013, 12:03 AM
my phantasy star involves catching them all

gigawuts
Mar 23, 2013, 12:24 AM

I think it's a bit much to ask for too many specifics. Also, I find the gameplay itself to be far more important than the story, simply because even the best writing and acting in the world will be for naught if nobody can control their character. A game with extremely good controls and gameplay but a terrible story would be better than that, IMO. Both being good is ideal, obviously, but side by side I value spectacularly designed gameplay more.

That said, the generic recurring story is something I've always liked, such as in PS or Zelda. Evil resurfaces, the light side fine tunes things to correct for evil's deeds in the form of one or two particularly able individuals, etc.etc. generic stuff. The specifics and sidestories are what bring that basic premise into great story territory.

Except...it was different in PSO. We'd just stumbled into it and gone "oh shit." I liked that.

I also like mysteries in games. Tracking down someone in PSO was a neat angle. Digging through logs from months prior was a plus as well. Anything where the story revolves around picking up the pieces and trying to figure the grander scheme out, whether it's a linear storyline or not, is interesting to me. The older the better.

Story-wise, something between Windwaker (Granted, the mystery aspect here was more in the real world as players tried to figure out how WW was meant to fit into the timeline) and PSO1 would be ideal for me.

As for the exact specifics of the story, well, those can go any route. What matters to me is that there would be a decent amount of it, and it would be interwoven, and make some amount of sense. I'm not too worried if some or even most of it is cliche. I can play a game with great gameplay but mediocre story and call it my personal game of the year just fine.