PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else running PSO2 on WinXP? (Need help with error)

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 09:49 PM
Just putting this is a place where people can see it. I'm using linux on my main machine, but I wanted to run PSO2 on a different computer.

I have a windows xp fresh install with direct x, and east asian languages installed. I have pso2 completely downloaded and updated, when I start game guard starts up fine, the logo comes up but right when the program (pso2.exe) actually starts (right before the sega/nvidia logo), the game experiences an unknown error and crashes. Any ideas?

Sizustar
Mar 22, 2013, 10:08 PM
Just putting this is a place where people can see it. I'm using linux on my main machine, but I wanted to run PSO2 on a different computer.

I have a windows xp fresh install with direct x, and east asian languages installed. I have pso2 completely downloaded and updated, when I start game guard starts up fine, the logo comes up but right when the program (pso2.exe) actually starts (right before the sega/nvidia logo), the game experiences an unknown error and crashes. Any ideas?

Try turnning off any antivirus and unnecessary program
Update driver on GPU, etc.
Update windows to the latest version, PSO2 require SP3 on XP
Try turning graphic setting to lowest too

Kion
Mar 22, 2013, 10:24 PM
Try turnning off any antivirus and unnecessary program
Update driver on GPU, etc.
Update windows to the latest version, PSO2 require SP3 on XP
Try turning graphic setting to lowest too

Hmmm, tried all of that. Maybe because it's actually on a virtual machine. I might try windows 7 and see if that does any better.

Shadowth117
Mar 22, 2013, 10:43 PM
Hmmm, tried all of that. Maybe because it's actually on a virtual machine. I might try windows 7 and see if that does any better.

Yeah, I actually had problems running it in a windows xp virtual machine myself to be honest.

Kion
Mar 23, 2013, 02:52 AM
I tried again with windows 7. I got to the Sega logo this time and then it crashes during the opening movie. Not meant to be i guess.

Gama
Mar 23, 2013, 03:03 AM
hm, try using a real win insall on a small partition?

Kion
Mar 23, 2013, 04:41 AM
The problem with that is I never have any luck with the boot record. I always manage to screw it up. I really don't have too much information on this computer as it is, but I'd rather not have to start from scratch if I do mess something up.

The game itself isn't very fun for me at all. It's mostly using the game as a base and tweaking it is what I find enjoyable. What I wanted to do with the game on a virtual computer, is that if you had the game running on a server with a static ip address then you could connect to the server and play the game from anywhere as long as you had access to a browser. Which game it is doesn't really matter, so I may go back and try it with pso or something.

Edit: Nope. Pso doesn't work either. I'm thinking the virtual graphics card isn't good enough? Everything else should be about the same.

metatime
Mar 23, 2013, 09:51 AM
hm, try using a real win insall on a small partition?

I agree, I would just duo boot than play in a VM environment...

Ezodagrom
Mar 23, 2013, 10:03 AM
Nope. Pso doesn't work either. I'm thinking the virtual graphics card isn't good enough? Everything else should be about the same.
Virtual machines use some sort of "custom" graphics drivers, they are not meant for playing games. ^^;

Gama
Mar 23, 2013, 10:34 AM
virtual machines on linux use wine database for dx based aplications, so pso2 shouldnt work i guess, not sure.