PDA

View Full Version : New to PSO2 tips?

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 09:56 PM
So right now I'm in the process of installing PSO2 (which is taking a LONG time). I'm just looking for any suggestions or tips that could help me right when I start out. Also, possibly somebody that could help guide me through the game or a partner to play with. Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Lostbob117
Mar 24, 2013, 10:00 PM
Building tanky isn't the best choice. So if you plan to, I would say don't.

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 10:03 PM
Alright, thanks. Also, what class do you think has the most DPS?

Kondibon
Mar 24, 2013, 10:08 PM
Alright, thanks. Also, what class do you think has the most DPS?
For single targets probably GU/RA Otherwise I have no clue.

Lostbob117
Mar 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
Fighter and gunner the most fast paced classes.

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 10:17 PM
For single targets probably GU/RA Otherwise I have no clue.

Lol, I'm brand new to this game, so i don't know what GU/RA is.

Zina1024
Mar 24, 2013, 10:18 PM
1st off welcome to phantasy star online 2, if you want i would be happy to help out, i suggest the following site which helped me out a lot http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/

Lostbob117
Mar 24, 2013, 10:19 PM
Lol, I'm brand new to this game, so i don't know what GU/RA is.

Hu=Hunter
Fi=Fighter
Ra=Ranger
Gu=Gunner
Fo=Force
Te=Techer

Gu/Ra means

Main Class: Gunner
Sub Class: Ranger

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 10:25 PM
Hu=Hunter
Fi=Fighter
Ra=Ranger
Gu=Gunner
Fo=Force
Te=Techer

Gu/Ra means

Main Class: Gunner
Sub Class: Ranger

Alright, thanks. I actually never knew about any of the classes until now.

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
Also, are there any races that work well with classes like in psu? Because thats the only other Phantasy Star game that i've played

Kondibon
Mar 24, 2013, 10:33 PM
Also, are there any races that work well with classes like in psu? Because thats the only other Phantasy Star game that i've played

Well they all have different stat multipliers but it's possible to work around them if you build your skill tree and mag right.

EDIT: There was a chart showing all the multipliers somewhere but I can't find it. The race section here (http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/) shows the base stat growth of every class/race/gender combination though.

Eveningxtar
Mar 24, 2013, 10:34 PM
Well different race and gender gives minimal changes to the base stat for example a Cast Female will have better R-Atk while a Cast Male Have better S-Atk, Humans in general is more balance and as for Newman, they are better as a Force.
I believe their is another thread under the guide section that explains the race and class in further details. Hope this help (^-^)

Renvalt
Mar 24, 2013, 10:45 PM

Well, there are race/class combinations that have a slight edge on stats if you're talking about that. It's kinda like Galka Monks or Warriors and Tarutaru Mages (if you've played FFXI).

Casts do well with melee (esp. males) and ranged (esp. females), Newmen of every gender do well in tech happy classes, while Humans are well-rounded.

But race/class combinations don't settle the "Best in show" for this game. Especially now that every race can be every class (Casts being the most glaring example - they can finally wield the power of Techs as Forces and Techers).

One other thing: The first time you enter the game, only three classes are available to you - Hunter, Ranger, and Force. At Level 30, you can unlock a second class that is dependent on what class you leveled to 30 - Fighter for Hunters, Gunner for Rangers, and Techer for Forces.

Also, while you might not be able to carry all your gear across these classes (armor can be used by any class provided you possess the stats to wear it; however only main classes can use their specific weapon types), in the end each class uses different weapons.

Hunters with Swords, Wired Lances (Grappling Claws), and Partizans (Spears)
Rangers with Assault Rifles (Mechgun+Rifle) and Launchers (Rocket Launchers)
Forces with Rods and Talismans (think Gambit and Yugi Moto as one entity)
Fighters with Knuckles, Double Sabers, and Twin Daggers
Gunners with Twin Mechguns
and Techers with Wands (think Warhammers)

Any class can use Gunslashes (Saber + Pistol) but none really have ways to benefit from them. Although when doing your weapon-based quests, Ranger is the one who generally governs these weapons (Ranger Class Instructor gives you the preliminary quests for them).

Other than that, the only other advice I can give is this: don't walk into this game expecting either a PSO1/PSU rehash, but think of it as a fusion of the two in an entirely new and different game.

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 11:02 PM
Well, there are race/class combinations that have a slight edge on stats if you're talking about that. It's kinda like Galka Monks or Warriors and Tarutaru Mages (if you've played FFXI).

Casts do well with melee (esp. males) and ranged (esp. females), Newmen of every gender do well in tech happy classes, while Humans are well-rounded.

But race/class combinations don't settle the "Best in show" for this game. Especially now that every race can be every class (Casts being the most glaring example - they can finally wield the power of Techs as Forces and Techers).

One other thing: The first time you enter the game, only three classes are available to you - Hunter, Ranger, and Force. At Level 30, you can unlock a second class that is dependent on what class you leveled to 30 - Fighter for Hunters, Gunner for Rangers, and Techer for Forces.

Also, while you might not be able to carry all your gear across these classes (armor can be used by any class provided you possess the stats to wear it; however only main classes can use their specific weapon types), in the end each class uses different weapons.

Hunters with Swords, Wired Lances (Grappling Claws), and Partizans (Spears)
Rangers with Assault Rifles (Mechgun+Rifle) and Launchers (Rocket Launchers)
Forces with Rods and Talismans (think Gambit and Yugi Moto as one entity)
Fighters with Knuckles, Double Sabers, and Twin Daggers
Gunners with Twin Mechguns
and Techers with Wands (think Warhammers)

Any class can use Gunslashes (Saber + Pistol) but none really have ways to benefit from them. Although when doing your weapon-based quests, Ranger is the one who generally governs these weapons (Ranger Class Instructor gives you the preliminary quests for them).

Other than that, the only other advice I can give is this: don't walk into this game expecting either a PSO1/PSU rehash, but think of it as a fusion of the two in an entirely new and different game.
What would be a good class for starters? I was thinking of maybe using grappling claws or twin daggers since I was a big fan of daggers ins PSU. But if there are any other easy/high DPS classes, I'm totally down for that too.

Sizustar
Mar 24, 2013, 11:06 PM
What would be a good class for starters? I was thinking of maybe using grappling claws or twin daggers since I was a big fan of daggers ins PSU. But if there are any other easy/high DPS classes, I'm totally down for that too.

You don't get access to Twin dagger as a hunter, only after reaching lv.30 as a Hunter, and clearing the Fighter quest, do you get access to that weapon.

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 11:13 PM
You don't get access to Twin dagger as a hunter, only after reaching lv.30 as a Hunter, and clearing the Fighter quest, do you get access to that weapon.

>:( damn. Well, then whats the easiest class?
Also, is anybody interested in joining me in-game? And how long does this Work Progress/Download Status/ Installation status thing take? Its been a couple of hours and it's only about 1/3 ways done on the Installation Status part.

Sizustar
Mar 24, 2013, 11:19 PM
>:( damn. Well, then whats the easiest class?
Also, is anybody interested in joining me in-game? And how long does this Work Progress/Download Status/ Installation status thing take? Its been a couple of hours and it's only about 1/3 ways done on the Installation Status part.

Go ask on Ship 2 B-20 for help.
Easiest class, there isn't really one, each class plays differently, and it's just up to you which style suits you more.
But for normal Mob, Force is the best at clearing it quickly, although weak early on, once you get the PP charge skill, and build the gear right, you're strong, but you pretty much die in one hit in end game.
Boss killing is Ranger/Gunner with Weak bullet, etc.
Hunter is the only class that can survive more then 1 hit in current end game content.

As job switching is free, it's easy to just try all three beginning class and decide which one you like.

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 11:28 PM
Go ask on Ship 2 B-20 for help.
Easiest class, there isn't really one, each class plays differently, and it's just up to you which style suits you more.
But for normal Mob, Force is the best at clearing it quickly, although weak early on, once you get the PP charge skill, and build the gear right, you're strong, but you pretty much die in one hit in end game.
Boss killing is Ranger/Gunner with Weak bullet, etc.
Hunter is the only class that can survive more then 1 hit in current end game content.

As job switching is free, it's easy to just try all three beginning class and decide which one you like.

Job switching? By jobs do you mean classes? Because i'm getting a bit confused since i havent even had a chance to start up the game yet.

HIT0SHI
Mar 24, 2013, 11:44 PM
Sizustar ment that you can change your class at anytime. So you could try which play style suits you best.

Monstrousangel
Mar 24, 2013, 11:47 PM
Sizustar ment that you can change your class at anytime. So you could try which play style suits you best.

Alright, thanks.
Also, which server should I play on?

Sizustar
Mar 24, 2013, 11:49 PM
Job switching? By jobs do you mean classes? Because i'm getting a bit confused since i havent even had a chance to start up the game yet.

Go through the guide at bumped.
http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-guide-list/

Mikessc88
Mar 24, 2013, 11:53 PM
Just think simple in regards to how you normally would choose a class (and yes the previous post was referring to classes)
Hunters are your hack and slash up close and personal class
Rangers shoot from a distance
Forces are your magical aoe class with added healing/support abilities

Don't worry to much about advance classes until you get comfortable with how the game works, you can always switch if you don't like a class at any time.
One word of advice, when you do decide what class you think suits you best make sure you have some kind of idea of how you want to allocate your skill points because if you mess up your skill tree you have to pay Ark Cash (the games premium currency) to fix it.

Alright, thanks.
Also, which server should I play on?
Id recommend ship 2 since it has the highest concentration of English players.

Monstrousangel
Mar 25, 2013, 12:57 AM
Just think simple in regards to how you normally would choose a class (and yes the previous post was referring to classes)
Hunters are your hack and slash up close and personal class
Rangers shoot from a distance
Forces are your magical aoe class with added healing/support abilities

Don't worry to much about advance classes until you get comfortable with how the game works, you can always switch if you don't like a class at any time.
One word of advice, when you do decide what class you think suits you best make sure you have some kind of idea of how you want to allocate your skill points because if you mess up your skill tree you have to pay Ark Cash (the games premium currency) to fix it.

Id recommend ship 2 since it has the highest concentration of English players.
Thank you. I'll try and see which classes I like, I'll probably not spend any skill points until i decide.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 25, 2013, 01:43 AM
I've got a build thread that has a lot of information on classes and basic build ideas and discussion.

It's in the guides section.