PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Damage Bonus Not Happening?

w31216kps
Mar 25, 2013, 07:21 PM
Has anyone else had weapons which didn't do extra damage to enemies with the attached element as a weak point? I remember once using a wired lance that had light attached. It definitely did noticeably more damage to darkers than other enemies. Right now, I'm using a sword that has light attached, and it does no more damage to darkers that are weak to light, than to any other enemy. Does anyone know why this weapon doesn't deal the bonus damage?

UnLucky
Mar 25, 2013, 07:33 PM
The bonus is an additional portion of your weapon's Atk stat, and is elemental.

Common misconception is that it converts your entire attack into an elemental one. The majority of your damage is still neutral.

See, if your character has 300 base S-Atk, and a sword that also has 300 S-Atk, you have 600 Atk going towards untyped damage. If the sword has 30 Light on it, that means you get an additional 90 Light damage (300*30%), for a total of 690 Atk. Against enemies weak to Light, that becomes 708, because only the 90 Light gets boosted by about 20%.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 25, 2013, 09:58 PM
dont forget that bonus 90 is applied to all enemies regardless of weakness. It's just that since that portion is light based it's subject to elemental weakness/resistance mods

w31216kps
Mar 25, 2013, 11:35 PM
In UnLucky's example, the difference was only 18 more atk towards an enemy of desired weakness. Which means, you'd need to do an attack meant to do some serious damage for a noticeable difference?

Was that always the way the modifier worked? Like I mentioned before, I did once have a weapon that the element made a real noticeable difference in damage. And that was with simple normal attacks.

UnLucky
Mar 25, 2013, 11:38 PM
A stronger weapon with a stronger element attribute will make a bigger difference. Also take note that many enemies resist certain elements as well, it just isn't displayed when you target them.

Or it could just be normal damage variance. You may have just seen a few randomly higher values and thought "yup, that must be because of the element" and not given it another thought. Happens.

Alisha
Mar 26, 2013, 07:37 AM
early on i was fooled by a light weapon on a darker because darkers have insane weakspots.

how exactly do elements work in this game is it like previous games where a weapon with 1000 atk and 50% becomes 1500 atk?

Bellion
Mar 26, 2013, 07:52 AM
That was answered in the second post in this thread.

Coatl
Mar 26, 2013, 12:13 PM
Or it could just be normal damage variance. You may have just seen a few randomly higher values and thought "yup, that must be because of the element" and not given it another thought. Happens.

I was wondering why my zonde's were hitting different numbers on different enemeis that weren't weak to it. :/

Blundy
Mar 26, 2013, 03:50 PM
so is having element really not important on a rod due to casting?

Bellion
Mar 26, 2013, 03:52 PM
Yeah, it's not. Element only contributes to the striking attack of the rod.

UnLucky
Mar 26, 2013, 04:14 PM
It is important on a wand, though, since it determines the element of the Gear explosion, and, well, melee damage.

w31216kps
Mar 27, 2013, 01:46 PM
Ok, I'm going to see about boosting the elemental str on this sword and see if the diff between light-weak enemies and non-light-weak enemies start to show more. Right now it's about 30, hopefully the extra 20 makes a diff.