PDA

View Full Version : The worst Phantasy Star game so far?

Poubelle
Mar 25, 2013, 08:41 PM
What do you guys think is the worst Phantasy Star title?

I like it, but I would have to say PSO2. PSO and PSU were better, as were the single player and portable entries in my opinion.

Scale of Judgment
Mar 25, 2013, 08:43 PM
My troll senses are tingling...

supersonix9
Mar 25, 2013, 08:44 PM
final phantasy star 7

Kondibon
Mar 25, 2013, 08:45 PM
If you focus too much on the bad things you'll never have time to appreciate the good things.

EvilMag
Mar 25, 2013, 08:46 PM
Want a serious answer? I'd say PSZero.

Arrow
final phantasy star 7

Stretching a bit but I'd say...
The Legend of Phantasy: Star Tracks
That one just was wrong on so many levels...at least the final boss was decent =.=...

Z-0
For the Online and beyond series, yes, I'm going to have to go with PSO2.

HIT0SHI
Mar 25, 2013, 08:47 PM
My troll senses are tingling...

This +1 :lol:

UnLucky
I think Poubelle Star was the worst

Kondibon
For the Online and beyond series, yes, I'm going to have to go with PSO2.

Shhhhh, giving any sort of serious answer is going to start a shit storm. I can tell.

HiOc
Mar 25, 2013, 08:49 PM
Boku no Pico Online 2: Episode 1/2 Remix - Unchained

Z-0
Mar 25, 2013, 08:49 PM
What...

can't you give your own opinion on these forums. :|

and mag, I'd say PSZero was better than PSO2. I could actually sit and play that one for hours. I can't with PSO2 as I play for a few hours and feel like I've accomplished nothing except get some excube exp and 50k meseta (lol).

ShinMaruku
Mar 25, 2013, 08:51 PM
PSU.
PSO was the most primitive though.

Cyron Tanryoku
Mar 25, 2013, 08:53 PM
I only played PSO2 and PSO after..

ShinMaruku
Mar 25, 2013, 08:55 PM
PSO2 is much better than PSO2 but PSO2 needs just a bit more refinement.

Lostbob117
Mar 25, 2013, 08:55 PM
Phantasy Star online : Episode 3 or which ever was the card one.

EvilMag
Mar 25, 2013, 08:59 PM
What...

and mag, I'd say PSZero was better than PSO2. I could actually sit and play that one for hours. I can't with PSO2 as I play for a few hours and feel like I've accomplished nothing except get some excube exp and 50k meseta (lol).

I still would rather play Advance Quest Star Online 2 over Eternal Tower Star Zero.

Macras
Mar 25, 2013, 09:01 PM
phantasy star portables, it hurt my hands to play for longer than an hour. plus it was taking PSU and just rehashing it and didn't feel like it added anything to what was PSU.

Lostbob117
Mar 25, 2013, 09:01 PM
I rather play psu over pso2 honestly, I could play that game all day. PSO2 isn't like that though.. I play some and then get bored. Maybe it's the pace of the game psu was much faster paced then pso2.

~Aya~
Mar 25, 2013, 09:02 PM
PSO2 best of all.

@Everyone else, do you even lift?!

Xaeris
Mar 25, 2013, 09:03 PM
I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone posting that Episode III was a thing, in case you blocked it from your memory.

Z-0
Mar 25, 2013, 09:05 PM
Episode 3 was actually pretty awesome though.

Just different, I guess? Wasn't Phantasy Star per se, but it definitely wasn't bad.

EvilMag
Mar 25, 2013, 09:05 PM
I liked Ep3.

Kondibon
Mar 25, 2013, 09:06 PM
What...

Well as long as you guys keep it clean.

As for me I've only played PSU and PSO2 so I don't have a very good basis.

Lumpen Thingy
Mar 25, 2013, 09:08 PM
I rather play psu over pso2 honestly, I could play that game all day. PSO2 isn't like that though.. I play some and then get bored. Maybe it's the pace of the game psu was much faster paced then pso2.

lol just no but anyways I would say US PSU, PSP1, PS3, or PS0 ep 3 take your pic

Xaeris
Mar 25, 2013, 09:18 PM
As a game by itself, it was fine. I wouldn't have played it, but it was fine. The problem was that it was an entry into a series, one that's mostly been about cooperative action multiplayer, based on competitive strategy. So as an online Phantasy Star, I say it's bad because it's too different. And then there was the game's propensity to give you crappy dice rolls, but I guess that bit of garbage RNG gives it something in common with the rest of the series.

~Aya~
Mar 25, 2013, 09:25 PM
PSU was terribad

*hides*

Shadix
Mar 25, 2013, 09:25 PM
PSU was the lowpoint in the franchise. I'm honestly surprised people are saying they prefer it over anything. That game was like rubbing sandpaper on your face. (and I did play it a lot)

The gameplay setup was boring. The content was lacking and repetitive, and the enemies and bosses were all reskins. The whole game felt lazy. I admit, PSU got mildly playable when AoTI came around, but overall the game was resoundingly mediocre and lacked any semblance of challenge. (Not to mention the way Rangers worked in that game... *sigh*)

PSO2's gameplay engine is rock solid, and you can tell the developers are doing a LOT with a small budget. Whats lacking right now is content variation, even with the complex random generation algorithms and random events, the content should vary more from area to area, and the game desperately needs more puzzle-type challenges. While the environments may fork the set pieces are rather uninteresting compared to the areas in the original PSO. Each environment despite having different enemies and drastically different scenery feels kind of samey, and many of the features in the game, like mags, weapon types and varieties, pas, classes, incentives, feel kind empty compared to their predecessors.

That said I'd say its the strongest entry in the franchise to date and hopefully in a year or so the content will feel more full.

NoiseHERO
Mar 25, 2013, 09:27 PM
Psp2/psp2i > PSO = PSZ > PSO2

PSU holding special place in my heart as ultimate chatroom

Never played PSO card game.

Classic PS I don't see whats so special about only played em for a bot and felt like any other outdated RPG.

Also, right now PSU>>>>>>>>PSO2 for me. Out before this becomes venting thread on how PSU was end of the world.

Lostbob117
Mar 25, 2013, 09:29 PM
lol just no but anyways I would say US PSU, PSP1, PS3, or PS0 ep 3 take your pic

I never said you had to agree to what I like more, I was just saying it's all just opinions.

Eman2417
Mar 25, 2013, 09:30 PM
I'd have to say PSU, it was great and all but never really cared for it much.
Ep3 was great online I won't lie. People frown on card games but I really enjoyed it.
PSO simply beats them all of course.

supersonix9
Mar 25, 2013, 09:43 PM
i can't really say pso2 because i have like 1900 hours on it, which is like 1000 more than any of the others

BIG OLAF
Mar 25, 2013, 09:47 PM
Wasn't Phantasy Star per se, but it definitely wasn't bad.

If we're going by that logic, PSO wasn't Phantasy Star either, since the original Phantasy Star was a turn-based RPG.

Alisha
Mar 25, 2013, 09:49 PM
PSU<PSZ<PSP2<PSO<infinity<pso card

Zyrusticae
Mar 25, 2013, 09:51 PM
PSU was the lowpoint in the franchise. I'm honestly surprised people are saying they prefer it over anything. That game was like rubbing sandpaper on your face. (and I did play it a lot)

The gameplay setup was boring. The content was lacking and repetitive, and the enemies and bosses were all reskins. The whole game felt lazy. I admit, PSU got mildly playable when AoTI came around, but overall the game was resoundingly mediocre and lacked any semblance of challenge. (Not to mention the way Rangers worked in that game... *sigh*)

PSO2's gameplay engine is rock solid, and you can tell the developers are doing a LOT with a small budget. Whats lacking right now is content variation, even with the complex random generation algorithms and random events, the content should vary more from area to area, and the game desperately needs more puzzle-type challenges. While the environments may fork the set pieces are rather uninteresting compared to the areas in the original PSO. Each environment despite having different enemies and drastically different scenery feels kind of samey, and many of the features in the game, like mags, weapon types and varieties, pas, classes, incentives, feel kind empty compared to their predecessors.

That said I'd say its the strongest entry in the franchise to date and hopefully in a year or so the content will feel more full.
Wow, you pretty much said my exact thoughts. Kudos to you, good sir.

Plus, if we're allowed to count regional variations, US PSU got absolutely fuck-all for support (and is the primary reason so many of us are skeptical of a western PSO2 release and sprung for the JP version).

Dhylec
Mar 25, 2013, 10:01 PM
final phantasy star 7
final phantasy star X2 sez "hi"!

MegaZoneXE
Mar 25, 2013, 10:01 PM
Phantasy Star Zero for Nintendo DS for me was Sonic Team saying "We can still make a PSO style game even with our PSU team/staff."

Alisha
Mar 25, 2013, 10:03 PM
Phantasy Star Zero for Nintendo DS for me was Sonic Team saying "We can still make a PSO style game even with our PSU team/staff."

you would be wrong because like PSP2/i zero was developed by alfa system.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 25, 2013, 10:07 PM
Phantasy Star Wars Episode IX: A Phantom Jedi Sith Clone Strikes Hope

yoshiblue
Mar 25, 2013, 10:28 PM
Final Phantasy Wars XIII - 2: The God of Revengance and the Star Ocean of Lunar
Limited Edition : ET Version

ShinMaruku
Mar 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
Lu Bu

Mike
Mar 25, 2013, 10:44 PM
you would be wrong because like PSP2/i zero was developed by alfa system.
Alfa only worked on the PSP games. Zero was developed in house by Sega. You also see Sega taking more development control with Portable 2 and Infinity.

Poubelle
Mar 26, 2013, 05:19 AM
I will say that I didn't think of PSO C.A.R.D. when I made this topic, but I stick by my point.

It was different, yeah, but it was still quite good in my opinion. I reserved and bought C.A.R.D. when I was pretty young & stupid (didn't do any research on it, I just made the assumption that it would be like Episode I & II). I was pretty pissed at first, but it turned out being really fun.

I honestly am not sure how anyone could think that PSO2 is not the worst PS so far.

It has horrible class balance, the randomized stage designs are sleep-inducing, the plot is incoherent, the story characters suck.

The quest grind slash MPA leveling system is also atrocious. There is nothing less engaging than leveling to 55 in big MPAs where you don't even get to hit anything, but that's what you have to do if you don't want to level at the pace of a slug.

There's no connection between the player and the game world. There is zero immersion. Not good for an online game.

Don't get me started on the wall you hit with character progression. You might as well quit when you hit cap on your favorite classes because the only way to make progress after that is to find 1/1million drop-rate rare items and you're never, ever going to find them so don't even kid yourself.

I could go on, but I'm just not exactly sure what PSO2 would have going for it over other installments.

HeartBreak301
Mar 26, 2013, 07:15 AM
I'd probably say Portable 1. All it was was a watered down version of PSU without bringing anything worthwhile to the series. Portable 2 was great though.

Punisher106
Mar 26, 2013, 10:01 AM
Story-wise, I'd say PSU was the lamest game. You were just a pawn, the whole story, while everyone else got the credit. PSP1 is really just a port of PSU to the PSP. PSP2/i was a bit interesting, though, especially the innumerable PSO1 references Infinity made. PSZ was okay, but felt unfinished, like there could be lots of content, but they never threw it in. So far, I don't really have any qualms with PSO2. Then again, I don't have a 55-across-the-board character just yet.

Neith
Mar 26, 2013, 12:10 PM
PSU was a terrible game from the minute it released, we were all just delusional for a while :lol: AoI did improve it but it was still a very bad game.

PSO2 is decent, but the balance issues, cash shop and droprates mean that I personally don't find it very fun unless I play with a group of friends (unlike PSO where I would often jump on and solo no problem).

Infinity was a great game underneath all the piles of PSO fanservice it got lumbered with, and PSO (BB and GC at least) were good games several years ago. I can't play them now because unfortunately it feels extremely dated. Definitely had the most fun furing my time on PSO though, whereas I seem to spend most nights on PSO2 ranting about the droprates :lol:

Weeaboolits
Mar 26, 2013, 12:35 PM
Phantasy Star III

Palle
Mar 26, 2013, 01:48 PM
Phantasy Star III
You shut your barrel-making mouth!

:cactus:

gigawuts
Mar 26, 2013, 02:09 PM
PSO2 brought a lot of improvements to the series, but also backpedaled on many more improvements than the ones it brought in. If they took this action and applied it to the amount of detail and rebalancing PSO1 had faced by the GC version had - that is, with the new areas and weapons and classes etc. but with more attention to detail - I think the game would have more going for it.

"Worst?" I enjoy this more than I enjoyed PSU. That game was too pastel and the noses were really weird in that game.

Outrider
Mar 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
Phantasy Star II.

Come at me, bro.

Outrider
Mar 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
...I actually haven't played Phantasy Star II.

.Rusty.
Mar 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
The 1st psp game was kinda meh :/

::Joke answer:: all of them :etongue:

Palle
Mar 26, 2013, 08:58 PM
...I actually haven't played Phantasy Star II.

Watch the whole game in 54 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwQI7DMM7Sk&feature=share&list=PLE8564B76D37B0945

Weeaboolits
Mar 28, 2013, 11:05 AM
You shut your barrel-making mouth!

:cactus:I will do no such thing.

The cactus will not sway me!

Palle
Mar 28, 2013, 09:27 PM
I will do no such thing.

The cactus will not sway me!

:yogurt:

I ordered a yogurt parfait and the whole parfait was fruit. Frozen fruit. There was no yogurt. It's supposed to be half fruit and half yogurt. The whole thing was frozen fruit.

Sinue_v2
Mar 28, 2013, 10:47 PM
PS:MD CD.

Poor controls (basically just forward, backward, and pause), short (only about an hour long - WTF guys), worse graphics than a frickin text adventure... which is just inexcusable since it had a CD's worth of memory to work with, no stats or any way to build or outfit your characters, and I think the entire goddamned thing was narrated in Algolian or some other incomprehensible fantasy language - so you couldn't even tell what was going on.

The manual art was pretty awesome though.
[spoiler-box]
http://www.pscave.com/other/dramacd/fanbookfront.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 29, 2013, 01:20 AM
Lobby Soccer.

Didn't even get re-tuned for Gameweb Quests. Then later PSO:BB still the same ol junk. Imagine getting team points for that sports club instead of trading in a bunch of Striker of Chao.

Also was thinking about real grenade launchers in the PSO. Like the Launcher but explosion effect, so Rafoie with a different graphical effect. Like if you shot the Fire Special guns and they affected enemies close to the one you hit instead of just that one guy and weren't 1/1000 strength of a Normal shot, but actually good.

Didn't Ethan game long enough to even see how those went (wrong). Ethan portable either.

Katrina
Mar 29, 2013, 11:29 AM
White Beast Online was ok. The dress-up was cool. It was fun decking out my dormroom with chicken plushies and purple pinatas.

Shadowpawn
Mar 29, 2013, 10:48 PM
Phantasy Star II.

Come at me, bro.

I almost chocked on my water. Good joke there.

I wasn't too found of Generations Star III...er I mean Phantasy Star III when compared to the rest in the main series.

As for the online ones....Zero was probably the worst.

Outrider
Mar 30, 2013, 07:36 AM
Aw man, I didn't think Zero was so bad.

Granted, I never really played it seriously. I've probably put in only about ten hours each to the single player on both the JP and US versions, but that's not really much in terms of online Phantasy Star games. I never even played it multiplayer!

I think I was mostly just impressed with how well they managed to port over the basic gameplay style of PSO to the DS.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 31, 2013, 04:55 PM
White Beast Online was ok. The dress-up was cool. It was fun decking out my dormroom with chicken plushies and purple pinatas.
Is that a Grenade Launcher in your equipment or are you just happy to Ethan?

:rappy: