PDA

View Full Version : Do you get nervous when...

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 26, 2013, 03:57 AM
People you don't even know start asking about where you live then laugh and call you mean when you don't want to answer?

It's like there's some implied threat when they do that...like they're looking to report you for not using a japanese IP address just out of spite.

Anyone else?

Shadowth117
Mar 26, 2013, 04:01 AM
People you don't even know start asking about where you live then laugh and call you mean when you don't want to answer?

It's like there's some implied threat when they do that...like they're looking to report you for not using a japanese IP address just out of spite.

Anyone else?

Bud, if you're worried about your IP being known to Sega you should have never signed on lol. The moment you ping the server they have your IP.

But yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. If its like what I'm thinkin' of, its just people being curious and pouting jokingly when they don't hear the answer. But I dunno what kinda situation you had.

Xaeris
Mar 26, 2013, 04:03 AM
I can't say it's ever come up.

yoshiblue
Mar 26, 2013, 04:06 AM
It always throws me off, that's for sure. When they say their name and age and ask for yours. I figured its an European thing but I can't say for sure. I figured the Japanese were pretty hard because close friends with. And yeah, they do get mean when you try to avoid it. Dood got really angry, like I was some sort of heretic, and told me to burn in heck.

Meji
Mar 26, 2013, 04:12 AM
I figured its an European thing but I can't say for sure.It sure is. Since the languages in Europe often resemble one another (especially if the different countries are next to each other), asking where the other one's from is always like a fun hit-or-miss question. If they reply to you that they're form your country, you often rejoice and become best buds. /o/

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 26, 2013, 04:14 AM
yeah it's not the japanese that do it. it's random english speakers. I'm not so worried about people figuring out I'm not japanese obviously, but someone asking you where you live without even a hello is strange and invasive. And to get upset when you don't want to answer and start laughing like a psychopath...that's just weird. THAT'S what make me nervous

Meji
Mar 26, 2013, 04:17 AM
yeah it's not the japanese that do it. it's random english speakers. I'm not so worried about people figuring out I'm not japanese obviously, but someone asking you where you live without even a hello is strange and invasive. And to get upset when you don't want to answer and start laughing like a psychopath...that's just weird. THAT'S what make me nervousI can totally understand that. We all remember when the Internet first came out; it came with the label "Don't share your identity with anyone!".

Then Facebook popped up.

Either way, I've had a few Japanese people ask my whereabouts, but the JP's that ask questions like these are the ones that's interested in learning about the outside world, so greeting and answering them properly often make their day (they also usually practice their English this way).

yoshiblue
Mar 26, 2013, 04:24 AM
I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the info and thread you two.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 26, 2013, 04:31 AM
I can totally understand that. We all remember when the Internet first came out; it came with the label "Don't share your identity with anyone!".

Then Facebook popped up.

Either way, I've had a few Japanese people ask my whereabouts, but the JP's that ask questions like these are the ones that's interested in learning about the outside world, so greeting and answering them properly often make their day (they also usually practice their English this way).

Absolutely! When a JP player asks me where I'm from, I tell them America and often times they quickly switch over to English and do their best to talk to me in my own language - which is really cool.

But I just had an experience where some one asked me my location and when I asked why they said I made them curious. I didn't even talk, so how could I have made them curious? @_@. Proper response would have been. "Oh, well I'm from Germany and I'm always excited when I meet other Germans". or "Don't see a lot of people with your character's name so I was wondering where you were from" SOMETHING that didn't sound like they were hoping they could look through my bedroom window later tonight.

I told them I was located at my computer and they called me mean then started laughing...and not like "lol you're mean". it was like "you're mean.." "...hahahaha" then they just stood behind me for a couple minutes while I NPCed some stuff.

@_@

Kondibon
Mar 26, 2013, 04:40 AM
I've never had this happen to me O_o I do get frustrated when people ask my real life gender and I tell them I don't want to answer or it doesn't matter and they go "Oh, so you're a guy?". :/

Blackheart521
Mar 26, 2013, 04:42 AM
I think it's kinda cool to ask people their age and see if they are similar to my age... If I do it I usually tell my age first so they feel more comfortable answering my question. ^^;

Syklo
Mar 26, 2013, 04:46 AM
As soon as a JP player joins a party I'm in.

Complete silence (after greetings, of course).
So, yeah.

~Aya~
Mar 26, 2013, 04:55 AM
This thread is funny to me because I was there and know why this thread was created. Aha ♥♥

Sparzyle
Mar 26, 2013, 05:12 AM
Depends on the person I think, luckily I always find friendly japanesse people who talks to me in english, kinda broken-english but I don't care because I also speak broken english ww (also they seem to don't know where is or what is Mexico ^^;)

Poubelle
Mar 26, 2013, 05:23 AM
I really don't find it that invasive. It's always been pretty normal for English speakers to share some of their information online. I've always been okay with sharing my first name, age, and general location.

It's only asked out of curiosity. It isn't malicious, so who cares?

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 26, 2013, 05:23 AM
Mexico, also known as Southern Southern California

I really don't find it that invasive. It's always been pretty normal for English speakers to share some of their information online. I've always been okay with sharing my first name, age, and general location.

It's only asked out of curiosity. It isn't malicious, so who cares?

And people are entitled to their privacy, so people shouldn't be getting offended if a person doesn't want to answer a question.

And it's absolutely invasive if there hasn't even been a hello between the two people and one person asks the other where they live lol.

Poubelle
Mar 26, 2013, 05:25 AM
Also, if you're that paranoid about being on this server (someone asking you where you live makes you nervous or angry), it's probably not healthy for you to play here. It's not worth the stress, so just wait for the NA server.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 26, 2013, 05:37 AM
Way to not read.

Sparzyle
Mar 26, 2013, 05:45 AM
And it's absolutely invasive if there hasn't even been a hello between the two people and one person asks the other where they live lol.
Hmm I hadn't dealt with moments like this, but yeah that mostly could be really rude or maybe they asked innocently because he/she was lonely and was curious if they were from the same place to be friends...I know asking that isn't the best way to make friends but that could happen too ^^;

Also I've seen very paranoid people around...like thinking that facebook is controlled by the goverment or stuff like that, so yeah...nobody thinks the same or reacts the same way

Husq
Mar 26, 2013, 06:01 AM
hmm doesn't personal issues, paranoia and conspiracy belong to the community forum?
BTW it is not directed at the OP directly, but lately there are a lot of topics posted on the pso2 general forum, that don't really belong here, besides most of them were moved to other forums. So think before you start a new topic.

Kondibon
Mar 26, 2013, 06:25 AM
On topic. Personally I don't mind when people ask where I'm from if we've been talking a while, but I'm not gonna answer if someone just asks out of the blue for seemingly no reason. I don't mind telling people my age either. When it comes down to it there's not much they can gather from that alone. I'm sure there are plenty of 20 something Virginians.

Zipzo
Mar 26, 2013, 06:51 AM
I ask people all the time in my parties or lobbies where they are from (and nothing more specific than that because how can that be harmful?) because its amazing on a conceptual level to realize just how international our server is...it's fun to find out I'm playing with people from a variety of USA states, European countries, and other places.

I do not see how that could invasive because simply I inquiring as to the country you live in cannot be considered invasive. If that were true most of us in Japan would be considered at a disadvantage....since they are Japanese servers and all...

Kondibon
Mar 26, 2013, 06:54 AM
I ask people all the time in my parties or lobbies where they are from (and nothing more specific than that because how can that be harmful?) because its amazing on a conceptual level to realize just how international our server is...it's fun to find out I'm playing with people from a variety of USA states, European countries, and other places.

I do not see how that could invasive because simply I inquiring as to the country you live in cannot be considered invasive. If that were true most of us in Japan would be considered at a disadvantage....since they are Japanese servers and all...

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but not everyone likes to share that kind of information. I think the issue is more about people just randomly asking out of nowhere. I'll gladly tell people if we've been talking for a bit and it comes up, but if someone just walks up to me ingame and is like "Where are you from? o:" out of nowhere without giving me a reason, I think it's natural to be a bit apprehensive.

BIG OLAF
Mar 26, 2013, 06:56 AM
I don't care if someone asks me where I live. I'm not going to give my address or anything, but there's no harm at all saying 'Florida'.

Zipzo
Mar 26, 2013, 06:58 AM
There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but not everyone likes to share that kind of information. I think the issue is more about people just randomly asking out of nowhere. I'll gladly tell people if we've been talking for a bit and it comes up, but if someone just walks up to me ingame and is like "Where are you from? o:" out of nowhere without giving me a reason, I think it's natural to be a bit apprehensive.

To think that revealing the *country* you live in would lead to anything other than possibly a fun conversation is absolute paranoia on your (anybody who feels this way) part. There's absolutely zero reason for anyone to be uncomfortable with sharing which region of the earth they reside in.

supersonix9
Mar 26, 2013, 08:47 AM
Why wouldn't you give an answer?

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 26, 2013, 08:51 AM

yeah, this

Kondibon
Mar 26, 2013, 08:52 AM
To think that revealing the *country* you live in would lead to anything other than possibly a fun conversation is absolute paranoia on your (anybody who feels this way) part. There's absolutely zero reason for anyone to be uncomfortable with sharing which region of the earth they reside in.It only makes me uncomfortable, like I said, if someone came up to me and asked me randomly. I just get this inkling that they have some sort of ulterior motive. Especially if their response is something like "I knew it!" and then running off. And if someone is gonna bitch at me for not telling them then they probably aren't someone I'd want to get to know anyway. If someone goes "Woah you're up late, where are you from?" or "I've never heard of that resteraunt before", then that's a great way to have a conversation. Just coming up and asking me out of the blue without any obvious reason? I find that a bit suspicious.

supersonix9
Mar 26, 2013, 08:53 AM
but if someone just walks up to me ingame and is like "Where are you from? o:" out of nowhere without giving me a reason, I think it's natural to be a bit apprehensive.

i've never heard of that happening

Kondibon
Mar 26, 2013, 08:56 AM
i've never heard of that happeningWell it seems to be what the OP is implying. I've never had it happen either. I'm just saying how I'd react if it did.

EDIT: I HAVE had people ask my gender and age out of the blue though. Which where my basis for this comes from.

Zipzo
Mar 26, 2013, 09:16 AM
Well it seems to be what the OP is implying. I've never had it happen either. I'm just saying how I'd react if it did.

EDIT: I HAVE had people ask my gender and age out of the blue though. Which where my basis for this comes from.

Random people do not care about you as much as you (or the OP) thinks they do.

Supersonic has a point...I've never seen this even happen, and even if it did, it still wouldn't be a big deal. The only thing that you should seriously concerned with divulging is your name or your home address (or any names or addresses closely related to you) but that should be pretty damn obvious right?

supersonix9
Mar 26, 2013, 09:21 AM
my point is, regardless of situation, if anyone asks where I'm from, I'll say 'Orlando, Florida'. Hell, I'll even tell them that I live 15 minutes away from Walt Disney World. You think they'll search the thousands of homes that all exist within that radius?

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 26, 2013, 09:32 AM
I think you're taking the "watch me through my window" thing a bit too literally. just seems strange to ask out of the blue like that then get mad when I refuse to answer. the rest was just for emphasis

Sp-24
Mar 26, 2013, 09:35 AM
Isn't it weird that people demand to know where I'm from?
No, it's weird that you aren't telling it at every opportunity.Is this arguing for the sake of arguing, or do some people really know that much more about life than just about everybody else?

Punisher106
Mar 26, 2013, 09:48 AM
I'm rarely ever asked about my whereabouts/information. I don't mind sharing my age, but I'm a little uneasy with sharing anything past that, and what state I live in. I guess that's th ebenefit of having a male character, nobody asks information about you. Then again, I normally play alone.

Galax
Mar 26, 2013, 09:52 AM
If you wanna know what country I'm from, I'll say that; State if we've been chatting; But I admit I'm slightly paranoid at times, and I don't like saying what city I live in. I also don't answer when it's just random - This seems to be going over a few heads.

If you're talking to someone, and they ask where you live, that's one thing. It's part of the course of conversation...as opposed to someone you don't know and that you haven't been talking to coming up to you and asking "Hey where are you from?" - That's a little...strange. It wasn't part of the flow of a conversation. You've never really had anything to do with them, except maybe an MPA together...and if they get upset when you don't want to say, that's...that's just weird.

It would be like someone in real life walking up to you and asking you why you pronounce a word the way you do...It's really none of their business, is it?

Meta77
Mar 26, 2013, 10:04 AM
I asked a person who invited me to their party yesterday if they where from china. As I was nervous cause I heard a lot of chinese players were getting banned for some reason. not sure why.

Jakosifer
Mar 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
Can't say this has ever happened

Next time it does though, OP, answer with "Beat Street" and then start doing dance emotes without saying another word until they get weirded out and leave. People are damn easy in this game.

fires2dust
Mar 26, 2013, 05:57 PM
It's never bothered my friends before, none of them know where I am from. Nor so I wish to tell them. I just state which timezone I am in. Not because I feel paranoid or that I think it's an invasive question but simply because I don't want people to stereotype and label who I am just because I'm from so and so country.

Sp-24
Mar 26, 2013, 06:02 PM
Brazil, huh? (I'm just kidding)

fires2dust
Mar 26, 2013, 06:25 PM
Nope, all the way in Asia. :d Still, I'd rather people get to know me than the country I'm from.

hovsep56
Apr 8, 2013, 04:26 PM
this post made me scared of the japanese ...thank god it never happened to me before there was only 1 japanese player i met and he/she was a nice guy/girl

Daiyousei
Apr 8, 2013, 04:40 PM
JP players who talk to you are generally nice, they even use English, albeit whatever they know to say, sometimes, you don't have to be afraid of them, they won't mind you unless you annoy them.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 8, 2013, 04:46 PM
Kinda not sure why this got bumped, but I'm pretty sure I explained this was an english speaker.

btw all their autowords were lewd symbol chat.

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 05:46 PM
You're such a butthead.

Shadowh follows me around. I think I should be worried.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 8, 2013, 05:55 PM
My shadow tried to kill me in my sleep once. Keep one eye open, Aya.

UnLucky
Apr 8, 2013, 05:59 PM
btw all their autowords were lewd symbol chat.

the best kind

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 06:29 PM
My shadow tried to kill me in my sleep once. Keep one eye open, Aya.

I'm elite pro status hunter meow. Get at me, bro! *shakey voice*

Shadowth117
Apr 8, 2013, 06:41 PM
I'm elite pro status hunter meow. Get at me, bro! *shakey voice*

Right um... who are you? 0.o

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 06:56 PM
Right um... who are you? 0.o

Lmao....... you would.

Peek the siggy, b-baka~

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 8, 2013, 07:23 PM
Now we fight!

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 07:51 PM
Now we fight!

Im gonna have to post this again.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5AVXcKugO4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5AVXcKugO4

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 8, 2013, 08:11 PM
I still have that OST. People listening to this now are like "Michael Jordan? The Hanes guy?"

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 08:13 PM
I still have that OST. People listening to this now are like "Michael Jordan? The Hanes guy?"

I have it in my Team FM thing (mumu.io). I love it.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 8, 2013, 08:15 PM
Actually that game's OST has a lot of good songs IMO. I really like the music from the windmill stage.

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 08:18 PM
Actually that game's OST has a lot of good songs IMO. I really like the music from the windmill stage.

Also, Grandia I and II ost ftw. II is my favs though.

I have never played that capcom vs snk game.

This is where I originally found out about the song... it kicks in when he fights the banthers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RN6byyhD2Zg

Reiketsu
Apr 8, 2013, 08:21 PM
lol, you turned this into a music discussion, now?
Dammit... I really, reeeeeaaaally wanna play Grandia now again Q_Q"

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 08:27 PM

Nyimizu onee chan.. it's so late! Sleepy time?

Oh.. I need to dig through my ridiculously large music library.. I literally went and downloaded all of the grandia, final fantasy, and fairy tail OST, just because I didn't feel like digging through thousands of unorganized tracks.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 8, 2013, 08:31 PM

Leave it to Aya to get EVERYONE distracted.

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 08:45 PM
Leave it to Aya to get EVERYONE distracted.

Whatevs lol.. im also an easily distracted person. I'm a lot happier with where I am in the game and the team that I am with-

You should come see us sometime~

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
I will. Been busy with work and helping with translation stuff for the game. Once I finish with the translations I should have more free time, but I've been really busy =( sorry

~Aya~
Apr 8, 2013, 10:00 PM
I will. Been busy with work and helping with translation stuff for the game. Once I finish with the translations I should have more free time, but I've been really busy =( sorry

It's okay.. I just kinda miss playing with you, even though I am a bit of a slacker after playing for awhile sometimes.. I'll try to focus more and get things done.

You know where to find me. Just PM or leave a profile msg/in-game mail. Whichever works best for you~ <3

Also, thanks for your hard work.

Zenobia
Apr 9, 2013, 05:18 AM
Person: Where Are you From?

Zenobia: Everywhere and nothing Simultaneously.

Person: Hmm okay whats your age?

Zenobia: Im legal~!

Pretty much how I answer all or some related questions~!

I love mind fucking ppl and being mysterious<3!

martinmeegan
Apr 9, 2013, 08:06 AM
Bet you can't guess what my real name is?

Pirrip
Apr 9, 2013, 08:15 AM
I just moved to Japan last month. Haters gonna hate.

Cyclon
Apr 9, 2013, 03:00 PM
Haven't read the thread. Sorry. Don't usually do that. But I have an answer!

So yes, that happens to me relatively often, buuuuut that's because the internet has led me to believe that lots of people around the US world dislike my country. Yup, I guess that's a pretty stupid reason:)
So I tend to answer evasively, and tell them if they insist.
As for the japanese, I tell them I'm english to avoid unnecessary complications.