PDA

View Full Version : Is this new game living up to the legacy?

Captain_Caveman
Mar 27, 2013, 04:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk

Just watch the video for the original PSO.

It says play in real time with six billion other players. Do whatever you want when ever you want. Language barriers broken. Translations in real time. It goes on. But the conclusion is clear. The legacy of PSO is very tarnished indeed!

This new game does not live up to the Legacy. This game is for everyone everywhere. All at the same time!

Not just for the exclusive elite in Japan!

And not for anyone else for that matter!

It is a sad day indeed for PSO's legacy!

jooozek
Mar 27, 2013, 04:24 AM
nope it isnt

TaigaUC
Mar 27, 2013, 05:22 AM
I recall seeing many 4gamer.net reviews expressing disappointment at PSO2 failing at succeeding PSO.

jerrykun
Mar 27, 2013, 05:24 AM
I dunno about you, but I'm playing the legacy you're talking about right now, in a beautiful language most of you don't give a f*ck to learn, but that's just me.

Pyrii
Mar 27, 2013, 06:42 AM
Wow, that was a pretty rubbish ad lol.

Gama
Mar 27, 2013, 06:44 AM
youre all trying to feel what you felt with the first pso.

sorry it only happens once!

be happy you felt it!

most of the new gamers will never feel the same!

be happy and enjoy the game!

Sinue_v2
Mar 27, 2013, 04:49 PM
talking about right now, in a beautiful language most of you don't give a f*ck to learn, but that's just me.

I don't blame them. I don't give a fuck about learning Japanese either, especially for the sake of a goddamned video game or some cartoons. As far as learning a language with practical application in the real world, you'd be better off learning Mandarin, Hindi, or Spanish. Japan is going to marginalize themselves out of the goddamned world economy sooner or later. As far as beauty goes, Italian and French are far more appealing... especially since their grammar and syntax isn't completely mangled to a native English speaker the way Japanese is. And as far as written language... Arabic is the most beautiful in the world. That's not even opinion. It's empirical fact. Japanese with it's hodgepodge of Kanji, Katakana, and Hiragana is just.. too haltingly incongruous to be considered beautiful. Even Japanese calligraphy looks barbaric in comparison to English Calligraphy, which itself pales compared to the Arabic Calligraphy which inspired it.

As far as PSO2 goes, I can't say if it lives up to the PSO legacy, since I haven't played it yet. I will say that I was quite hyped up for it's release in the early days, but as the months of new media have flowed in, I've come to not really give a shit if I get a chance to play it. I'll still play it if it comes out in the west, but if Sega isn't interested in localizing the game or giving us a quality online experience with it, then I'll just move on to other franchises that are still actually good. I'll continue to be a fan of what PS used to be, and just let the rest die.

gigawuts
Mar 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
I dunno about you, but I'm playing the legacy you're talking about right now, in a beautiful language most of you don't give a f*ck to learn, but that's just me.

Aaaah, to be thirteen years old again.

Nitro Vordex
Mar 27, 2013, 06:47 PM
If you like garbled sounds and a ridiculous amount of symbols for a written language...well, to each his own I guess. I agree with Sinue, on all those languages. I much preferred the broken French I learned, than the broken Japanese I learned. Arabic? Always amazing to see.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 27, 2013, 07:07 PM
Just watch the video for the original PSO.

It says play in real time with six billion other players. Do whatever you want when ever you want. Language barriers broken. Translations in real time. It goes on. But the conclusion is clear. The legacy of PSO is very tarnished indeed!

I didn't see that video 'til way after playing a lot of PSO and you haven't seen it until now?!

"INTERNET - Do whatever you want" didn't end up too well for the PSOs.

And PSO2 is not really going to try to do that either. Its not some weirdo Second Life kinda game.

Sayara
Mar 27, 2013, 07:40 PM
If you like garbled sounds and a ridiculous amount of symbols for a written language...well, to each his own I guess. I agree with Sinue, on all those languages. I much preferred the broken French I learned, than the broken Japanese I learned. Arabic? Always amazing to see.

This.

connor_the_kid
Mar 27, 2013, 10:33 PM

are you implying that you know japanese?

and I agree it's not really such a beautiful language. I would say english sounds better. :lol: japanese is a bit silly, I do understand why theyre adopting so much of our language. I do like french as well.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 28, 2013, 09:56 AM
Ya all need to learn more dutch. Best Language Period

Sinue_v2
Mar 28, 2013, 11:56 PM
Ya all need to learn more dutch. Best Language Period

Nobody wants to learn Dutch. Not even the Japanese. That's why they stuck you guys on Dejima and built a moat around it to turn it into an island. :p

ShinMaruku
Mar 29, 2013, 09:22 PM
I don't blame them. I don't give a fuck about learning Japanese either, especially for the sake of a goddamned video game or some cartoons. As far as learning a language with practical application in the real world, you'd be better off learning Mandarin, Hindi, or Spanish. Japan is going to marginalize themselves out of the goddamned world economy sooner or later. As far as beauty goes, Italian and French are far more appealing... especially since their grammar and syntax isn't completely mangled to a native English speaker the way Japanese is. And as far as written language... Arabic is the most beautiful in the world. That's not even opinion. It's empirical fact. Japanese with it's hodgepodge of Kanji, Katakana, and Hiragana is just.. too haltingly incongruous to be considered beautiful. Even Japanese calligraphy looks barbaric in comparison to English Calligraphy, which itself pales compared to the Arabic Calligraphy which inspired it.

Japan will be quite fine. I think people have unrealistic views on what Japan's economy should be. It will stay as it is till Japan's population drops where it will probably rebound.

But Yes in most fields Japanese would be a useless language to learn in practical uses. But if you speak English you already have a huge leg up. You can learn any language you please.

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2013, 09:46 PM
If I could just put this back on topic...

I don't think PSO1 even had a legacy. If it did, it was to create a game as groundbreaking - not necessarily innovative, just with as much depth and as accessible in both actually getting the game but also playing the game, that took a step forward as large as online connectivity.

PSO1 was very accessible. PSO2...it's definitely easy to get a hold of. But it's harder to get into - skill & mag mistakes cost real money or demand a reset, there is NO such thing as a remotely consistent experience with weapon improvement, there no wiggle room. It's also lacking depth that the original had. I also found the original's weapon system more fun, but apparently the PSU fans disagree on that point so...

So does it live up to the legacy of the original title, and what it was for its time? I don't think that's really the right question. PSO2 is a sequel in name only. Almost all of what made the original and its ports such a booming success has been removed. Many mistakes made in the original title but fixed in latter titles have been reneged on. PSO2 is an entirely different kind of game; granted, that's what the legacy would have demanded, but I do not feel this game falls in line with the kind of groundbreaking next steps PSO1 took for its time. But that's an unfair expectation by nature. You can't take a leap as large as online gaming is from offline gaming now. There's nothing like that available to do. In this era of gaming I don't think it's possible to do something quite as groundbreaking as that unless you take tremendous risks that a company of Sega's size simply will not be able to do. Gamers get bored and move on pretty quick, and what seems like it'll be a brilliant success can very easily falter for none of the reasons you'd expect.

tl;dr no, but I don't think it should or could have been anyway, and I don't blame anyone for it either

ShinMaruku
Mar 29, 2013, 10:04 PM
PSO2 does what it sets out to do. Put a online rpg game in it's own space.
I think some of the over joy of PSO is nostalgia and nostalgia can be very dangerous things are rarely as you remember them.

And as Sega is, it's the best I can expect and it does have that place. Now it just needs to grow and change.

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
Sure, some of the praise a lot of people give it is nostalgia.

But then, if it wasn't a good game it wouldn't have lasted for 9 years across 5 versions. (edit: well, more than 5 versions, but 5 main platforms)

ShinMaruku
Mar 29, 2013, 10:24 PM
oh it was good just not god's gift to gaming. Like how Mavrel 2 lasted 10 years and it only had 3 relevant characters. :P

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2013, 10:25 PM
I think the idea that people on PSOW actually say it's god's gift to gaming is a misnomer. Nobody here has said anything like that, anyway.

Please find them for me to prove me wrong.

Shadowpawn
Mar 29, 2013, 11:51 PM
That ad just reminds me of how God Tier Sega's PR department was back in the 90s and early 2000s.

ShinMaruku
Mar 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
They were not that good in the 90s. matter of fact 90s Sega killed them. :P

Shadowpawn
Mar 31, 2013, 12:33 AM
They were not that good in the 90s. matter of fact 90s Sega killed them. :P

Well I wouldn't say their PR department killed them, it was more about the fact that Sega put out way too many consoles to maintain at one time. Towards the end of the 90s Sega had to publish and promote games for the Game Gear, Sega Saturn, 32X, Sega Genesis (some third party developers were still making games for it) and the Dreamcast.

Plus the took a big gamble with Shenmue and spent a ton of money making it, yet it didn't sell well at all.

These factors, alongside others, led to them quitting the console business for good.

Although rumor has it they might want to get back in, I don't see the point them doing so now.

Zyrusticae
Mar 31, 2013, 01:23 AM
I think the idea that people on PSOW actually say it's god's gift to gaming is a misnomer. Nobody here has said anything like that, anyway.

Please find them for me to prove me wrong.
*cough* RemiusTA *coughcough*

Like how Mavrel 2 lasted 10 years and it only had 3 relevant characters. :P
I laughed because it's true.

And then I cried.

Zeota
Apr 2, 2013, 02:02 PM
Ahh yes that trailer which made one feel like it was a proper MMO!

PSO made its share of mistakes but that sure didn't stop a lot of us from enjoying it as much as we did.

I think its legacy was that of an important milestone which laid the groundwork for later games such as FFXI and Monster Hunter.

I think nostalgia is a dangerous trap for both gamer and developer alike. For the former, it can cause one to have unrealistic expectations of a new game based on previous successes, sometimes causing them not to judge said game on its own merits. For the latter, it can hinder them from moving forward with new ideas since they stick to what has worked before, even if it still makes them money.

Yet I say this while listening to "Dancing Mad" from FF6. :)