PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Joy to key

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 12:20 AM
So I've decided to try out the game with Joy to key due to the fact that I can't assign functions to specific combinations on the gamepad.

So my question to those who already use it, how do you personally have it set up, so I can have some ideas of where to start.

Coatl
Mar 28, 2013, 03:10 AM
I'm curious as to how you go about setting it up as well. The things I've heard you can pull off with Joy to Key sound too good to be true.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 03:12 AM
It doesn't look TOO complicated, I just wanted some example layouts cause there isn't much room in my default layout for shifting things. ;;

Darki
Mar 28, 2013, 03:48 AM
JoyTokey user here.

I don't have it as customized as Inazuma with his Razer gamepad with a crapton of buttons, in fact I use it with a classic Wii controller that has less buttons than your average controller (no joystick buttons), but it works fine for me.

The main problem you face is the fact that some keys work different for keyboard and gamepad. For example gamepad A key (using default Xbox mapping) is used to pick items and to interact with items, and also to accept options in menu. But in the keyboard you use a key only for interaction/pickup and the "accpet" key is usually tied to the chat window. If you wanna map most buttons, including ABXY you'll have to affect slightly the way you use the chat, for example (at least in my case). Also, some keys have functions assigned that you can't modify, for example the D-pad in the menus will always be used to navigate even if you set off all functions assigned to it.

What I did was to set off all the gamepad keys and leave only joysticks natively. I also left the Y button in the gamepad as native because I use it for jumping and cancelling in menus and it's easiert to leave it like that than try to map keyboard keys to it.

Now, for one of the bumpers, I added both lock-on functions in a tap/hold button. You know there's a button that locks-on, another that changes target, these two functions are usually in the same button in most games. So I set it so I can tap the button to lock-on and jump targets, then hold the button a bit longer to drop the target. Similarily, I added hold/tap buttons for the map/area map functions, menu/quick menu, and autorun/TPS mode to save some space in the start, select and home buttons of the wii controller.

Instead of having a bumper tor sub-palette ussage, I simply disabled that function and used the button as a profile change button in J2K so I can change what buttons do while I hold it, and have more functions to them. That way, when I press the button Y I use the secondary attack function (PAs for example), and when I hold the bumper and Y, I use the subpalette 3 button instead. That way I can use the subpalette from the gamepad without needing to go to the keyboard. Of course I don't have that many buttons so some of the subpalette functions remain in the keyboard only, but that's stuff I don't need that often like stances or telepipe.

I also modified the D-pad functions. Instead of navigating through the subpalette, I set it so pressing any direction automatically changes the weapon (assigned the numpad keys to the D-pad), and to access the "original" D-pad function so I can change subpalettes I added it as a bumper + D-pad function using the same bumper as before.

Sounds complicated but is not that difficult. Using the Xbox analogy it would be:

A= Normal attack
B = Jump/cancel
X = Pick item/access
Y = Special attack

LB = Dodge
LT(tap/hold) = Switch target/lock-on
RB = guard/extra function

select (tap/hold) = autorun/TPS mode
home (tap/hold) = main menu/quick menu
start (tap/hold) = area map/switch map

D-pad = change weapons

RT + A = Subpalette 2
RT + X = Subpalette 1
RT + Y = Subpalette 3
RT + D-pad = navigate subpalette

I'm missing some functions since I prefer to modify it slowly so I don't need to get used to many changes at a time, so this is not the final mapping. I plan on adding another button switch so I can change the attack and jump buttons to bumpers and triggers while in TPS mode, for example, and try some other combinations. As I said my gamepad is far from good for this since it has only 11 buttons, so if you have something better it's definitely a good deal to use this program. I suppose Inazuma can tell you his setup which is really freaky, he has over 40 funtions mapped.

If you want more suggestions on setting this stuff up and more details (I had to modify many keyboard functions ingame for this to work, for example), I dunno, send me a PM or contact me ingame or something, lol.

Soultrigger
Mar 28, 2013, 03:57 AM
I use a Logitech controller, which is very similar to PS3.

Instead of using the game's mapping to controller buttons, I remove the majority of them and assign the buttons to keys through JoyToKey (this is done to make button combinations possible).

In order to get the most of my buttons, I designate a few buttons which, when used in combination, change the function of practically every button on my controller. For example, I set Circle as Access, but when used in combination with my D-Pad/Left Shoulder Buttons, I switch weapons on the fly without having to scroll.

In the "Options" tab, you can set your profile to have multiple Joysticks. The beauty of this is that you can have any button on your standard "Joystick 1" to swap to another Joystick # while being held/through toggle, which allows a vast amount of possibilities and easily lets you hotkey every subpalette button/weapon hotkey/menu you can think of.

I don't recommend heavily mapping functions based on button sensitivity or analog (especially diagonal). A downside of button combinations is that you sometimes have to press/release the buttons in the right order, or else you can get unexpected behavior like a premature uncharged Tech, or no Tech at all (canceled through Evade/Guard for example). I personally don't use Toggle very much as I don't like memorizing my current configuration and would prefer the controls to always respond the same way.

And of course, despite the vast amount of possibilities, there are limitations. Stating the obvious here, but your design should be intuitive and not need to rely on hands crossing over to the other side.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 04:02 AM
That's quite a lot. It's not too complicated (I've messed with this kind of stuff for my emulators), but I tend to use my whole subpallet, so I'm going to have to figure out a way to map the whole thing without taking up every key combination. Thanks though. :3

I use a Logitech controller, which is very similar to PS3.

Instead of using the game's mapping to controller buttons, I remove the majority of them and assign the buttons to keys through JoyToKey (this is done to make button combinations possible).

In order to get the most of my buttons, I designate a few buttons which, when used in combination, change the function of practically every button on my controller. For example, I set Circle as Access, but when used in combination with my D-Pad/Left Shoulder Buttons, I switch weapons on the fly without having to scroll.

In the "Options" tab, you can set your profile to have multiple Joysticks. The beauty of this is that you can have any button on your standard "Joystick 1" to swap to another Joystick # while being held/through toggle, which allows a vast amount of possibilities and easily lets you hotkey every subpalette button/weapon hotkey/menu you can think of.

I don't recommend heavily mapping functions based on button sensitivity or analog (especially diagonal). A downside of button combinations is that you sometimes have to press/release the buttons in the right order, or else you can get unexpected behavior like a premature uncharged Tech, or no Tech at all (canceled through Evade/Guard for example). I personally don't use Toggle very much as I don't like memorizing my current configuration and would prefer the controls to always respond the same way.

And of course, despite the vast amount of possibilities, there are limitations. Stating the obvious here, but your design should be intuitive and not need to rely on hands crossing over to the other side.I'm thinking of setting the right trigger so that when combined with my x/y/b buttons and the d-pad it it activates certain parts of my subpallet. That way it'll be a bit like the weapon toggle for tech weapons and guns while still allowing me to jump.

Gardios
Mar 28, 2013, 04:44 AM
I'm not using it in this game (using the ingame gamepad options), but I used it with a PS2 controller in a fairly similar game (Arad Senki, if that matters).

Basically, I had L2 and R2 toggle to another gamepad setting when hold, with a few actions (like jump) set to the same button on all configurations. Aside from the face buttons, I also used the right analog stick for 4 extra actions per shoulder button. Just make sure to ignore sensivity.

Inazuma
Mar 28, 2013, 03:02 PM
I use a Razor Sabertooth and was able to fit everything on the controller with Joytokey.

- all 10 hotbar items
- all 6 weapon change shortcuts
- all 10 chat shortcuts
- autorun/autofollow
- both map toggles
- change target
- * and + to zoom out
- quick menu
- weapon menu
- unit menu
- mag menu
- turbo E
- auto item pickup On/Off

Without spending a very long time explaining it in great detail, I have a ton of toggle buttons that change the function of other buttons. If I hold down two toggle buttons, it works like another toggle. I also have a few tap/hold buttons.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 04:06 PM
I use a Razor Sabertooth and was able to fit everything on the controller with Joytokey.

- all 10 hotbar items
- all 6 weapon change shortcuts
- all 10 chat shortcuts
- autorun/autofollow
- both map toggles
- change target
- * and + to zoom out
- quick menu
- weapon menu
- unit menu
- mag menu
- turbo E
- auto item pickup On/Off

Without spending a very long time explaining it in great detail, I have a ton of toggle buttons that change the function of other buttons. If I hold down two toggle buttons, it works like another toggle. I also have a few tap/hold buttons.
That thing seems to have 6 more buttons than mine. XD I'm a bit skeptical about using toggles for the same reason as soultrigger. Keeping track of which toggle I'm on would confuse me a bit too much without a hud to check for it.

Darki
Mar 29, 2013, 01:55 PM
But if you use hold toogles those are easy to memorize. they toogle between profiles, but all you gotta remember is that A does something, L1 + A does something else, and L1 + L2 + A does yet another thing. When you release them, it all goes back to normal.

I'm tempted on directly set two toggle buttons (currently use only one) so I can do as Inazuma and have four profiles working (normal, L1, L2 and L1+L2), but I'd have to get used to lock-on with a different button (I would have weapon action and dodge in all profiles) and that's kinda too bothersome. I suppose I'll try a new setup and see how much it messes my reflexes.

Gama
Mar 29, 2013, 02:35 PM
this tread makes me feel dumb.

tried xpadder but the game dosent recognize the extra inputs.

Darki
Mar 29, 2013, 03:34 PM
Xpadder certainly works, I used it until I found out that JoyToKey's last version had been updated with most of the functions Xpadder had. I do remember that it was tricky to set up and that I also though the game didn't recognize it. You must run it as administrator, pretty much set it for max permissions or the game doesn't seem to work with it.

Unless you use a Xbox-type gamepad, I'd recommend you to try JoyToKey. Xpadder, however, can be used to overcome the issue of the gamepad mapping the triggers to the same axis (making it unable to use both at the same time. Xpadder can be used as a workaround for that). For some reason, JoyToKey doesn't fix that issue. On the other hand, Xpadder doesn't handle well using autofire sticky buttons between profiles (meaning, that you press a button and it autofires until you press it again, with Xpadder, basically if you do button combinations like L2 + A, any sticky button resets, but in JoyToKey you can make it work).

Long story short, each program has some little issues that shouldn't bother you too much unless you wanna get a very technical setup. You could theoretically use both, but to be honest, that's a real pain in the ass to set. I do prefer Xpadder for the layout, so I've been switching them on a whim.

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2013, 03:40 PM
Xpadder can work around that? For wireless, or just wired?

Darki
Mar 29, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I was using it on a wired Logitech gamepad that is some sort of Xbox rip-off and uses the same drivers, so it might work with wireless ones too. If you have one just download it and try, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Zenobia
Mar 29, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joy 2 Key is the shit the main reason I got mine all setup to suit all classes of play im in love now it may not be for everybody but once you get it setup it becomes WIN GET!

Gama
Mar 29, 2013, 10:57 PM
could someone give an example of how to do this. got joy2key but i'm confused!

Darki
Mar 30, 2013, 03:29 AM
What sort of example do you need? Tell me what you have in mind for the program and I'll help.

By the way, I got really confused with the main homepage of the program because there's a very old one that appears in Google results as the first, so make sure you got the right one: http://www-en.jtksoft.net/ The program is not freeware but I guess you can "find" a way to make it work (or pay for it, of course). Once you got the program working is relatively easy to set up, just a bit time-consumming because you gotta check many things to make it work properly.

The first step is to disable the keys in game so they don't overlap to JoyToKey, so just go to Options and leave all the functions you wanna modify blank. Some keys can't be disabled (joysticks for example). If you're not going to modify one key in any way I'd suppose it's better to leave it set in the game. For example, my jump button doesn't change in any profile so I simply left it set in the game and blank in JoyToKey.

Also, it'd be a good idea to take a look to the keyboard configuration in the same Options section. I rearranged many buttons in the keyboard to make it easier to assign in JoyToKey. Another thing is that the game has different assignments for normal play and for menu navigating, so you might want to disable both functions in the gamepad section so they don't overlap in any case, and check that they use the same keyboard key so you can use it as it it was the original.

Once you got that done, go to JoyToKey and press the key you wanna set in your gamepad. It should appear highlighted in yellow in the program. Double-click it and you'll pop out a menu with several options. If you just want to set a single key (for example button 1 = L key) you only need to set that on the first Keyboard section. You can also set toogle and autofire functions there. The second Keyboard section is to set double key functions, like hold/tap and stuff.

Gama
Mar 30, 2013, 07:56 AM
i have a Logitech dual action gamepad.

and i would like to be able to use the 1234567890 shotcuts on my keyboard from the controller.

not sure how you set it up tho :(

Darki
Mar 30, 2013, 10:40 AM
All of them? You *might* be able to put all but that's going to make a hell of a complicated setup. You might prefer to drop some functions that you don't need to access too often like map toogles, quick menu and other stuff like that.

Your gamepad as I see is like a PS2 one. The main issue is that there are some functions that you want to keep easy to access and while pushing other buttons. For example, you'd like to be able to jump and use both attack buttons so you can jump while charging techs, and you also wanna be able to use de dodge button all the time.

I got these pics of your gamepad to use as a guide:

[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.logitech.com/assets/17877/17877.pnghttp://www.logitech.com/assets/17879/17879.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

In my case, I put the normal attack function on your pad's "2" button, the special attack on your "4" button. Jump's on "3" so you can easily press "2"+"3" or "4"+"3" with the same thumb (and I use "1" for pickup/access button). Dodge would be in your "5" button and weapon action on "6" button. Even if you wanna use toogle functions so you can make button combinations, you should probably keep the jump, dodge and guard ones always the same, so you can leave those set ingame and not to bother with JoyToKey with them.

Now, I would leave your "7" and "8" bumpers for profile toogle buttons. You can add a hold/tap function to the left joystick button for lock-on and target switch, so you can lock on enemies and still be able to jump, attack and dodge at the same time. On the other joystick button you could put the autorun function if you want it in the gamepad. You can also put it as a hold/tap function and pair it with TPS mode too, and then use the remaining "9" and "10" buttons for something less battle-ready like area/toogle map and main/quick menu.

Now, on to the toogle bumpers. You can make it work so when you press different combinations between R2, L2 and buttons 1, 3 and 3, it uses the subpalette functions. It could be like this:

L2 + 1 = subpalette 1
L2 + 3 = subpalette 2
L2 + 4 = subpalette 3

R2 + 1 = subpalette 4
R2 + 3 = subpalette 5
R2 + 4 = subpalette 6

L2 + R2 + 1 = subpalette 7
L2 + R2 + 3 = subpalette 8
L2 + R2 + 4 = subpalette 9

always leaving button "2" for jumping.

You'd be short of one button, though. In my case I don't care because I have the telepipe there and is not something I gotta use constantly, so I left it out of the gamepad and simply use it from the keyboard.

Lastly, for the last complex setup, you can use the same toggle buttons to set the numpad keys to the D-pad and be able to switch weapons on the fly. For example:

L2 + up = weapon 1
L2 + down = weapon 2
L2 + right = weapon 3
L2 + left = weapon 4

R2 + up = weapon 5
R2 + down = weapon 6

And so on, you can also add some menu shortcuts to the remaining 6 keys too, for example to switch subpalette menus, mag feeding, unit/weapon access, party setup, etc.

If you have trouble setting this stuff up in the program, I'll try to help but it's difficult to explain, too many things to do. x_x

Gama
Mar 30, 2013, 10:44 AM
oo, nice, thank you so much for making it so clear, ill try it out and let you know how it went! :)

Darki
Mar 30, 2013, 10:57 AM
I hope it works well.

I'm having some trouble with mine now because I don't know how to fit the two profile toggle buttons without messing the lock-on function. :( I use this Wii classic controller -> [link] (http://www.conrad.at/medias/global/ce/9000_9999/9600/9640/9649/964991_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg), and the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have joystick buttons. Is not that I don't have enough buttons to map (because with these programs as you can see you can do wonders), but I'm running out of buttons that can be pushed simultaneously.

My issue is that I've been the L trigger to lock-on so I can do it while charging techs and moving, but if I use that button for profile toggle, I gotta use a different one that can be accessed while I'm also pushing the tech charge ones and moving around.

I don't know why don't they make gamepads with 4 more buttons on the back, sometimes I feel dumb playing with only the thumbs and index fingers =/ I'd buy a Razer pad if it wasn't so friggin expensive for my current budget...

I gotta try putting the lock-on function on the select button, which would require me to stop moving if I wanna lock-on while charging a tech or "claw" the pad a bit. I guess I'll try setting it the way I'm thinking and running it a bit, and if it's too uncomfortable drop it.

Inazuma
Mar 30, 2013, 04:02 PM
@Darki

Once you use a controller like the Razer Sabertooth with buttons on the back, you will hate using normal controllers. The back buttons work so well that the next generation of consoles really should have used them.

Darki
Mar 30, 2013, 04:51 PM
Might be, but I'd love some directImput support so you can actually map the buttons to real keys and not just double them. That's one stupid thing that Microsoft has done with the XImput setup that doesn't make sense.

Basically you have a gamepad that could have 18 buttons that can't actually have them, because XImput doesn't allow for more than 12 buttons. True, you can remap the joystick and start/select buttons to better access ones, but that's all there is to it. I actually had once a directImput cheapo gamepad that had 16 buttons (including a second set of triggers to be used with the ring fingers and six frontal buttons) that could make use of all of them without having to duplicate existing ones. Unfortunately that gamepad had a very crap shape and quality, but I'd definitely pick a directImput gamepad like that before a Xbox ripoff one much sooner if they weren't so crap to begin with... =/

By the way, going back to the main topic, I don't know what the hell I did that I can't make Xpadder work with PSO2 anymore. Did that last GameGuard update fuck it again, or am I getting rusty? =/