PDA

View Full Version : Let's settle this now...

Zipzo
Mar 28, 2013, 12:31 AM
Is it FOE-EE, FOY, F-OW-EE or F-OW?

>_>

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 12:32 AM
Is it FOE-EE, FOY, or FAO?

>_>

Neither, it's Fooey. huehuehue

Sizustar
Mar 28, 2013, 12:33 AM
Can you be more specific in your question?

Zyrusticae
Mar 28, 2013, 12:33 AM
FOE-EE.

I can't imagine it pronounced any other way.

supersonix9
Mar 28, 2013, 12:35 AM
I pronounce it as if I was saying the word 'foil', but without the L.

Kondibon
I pronounce it like something between Foe-ee and Foy but this and the other thread about pronounciation is making me think about others.

Like is the E in Zonde silent? Is the g in Megid soft or hard? (I remember hearind it in PSU as hard, which suprised me).

supersonix9
I say zon-day

UnLucky
Mar 28, 2013, 12:36 AM
Fwah.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 12:36 AM
I say zon-day

I pronounce it Zondeh XD

Fwah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gbzy7uO5Iw

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2013, 12:37 AM
I say "f'oh eh"

but this always threw me off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foie_gras

Shadowth117
Mar 28, 2013, 12:38 AM
Honestly I just go with the Japanese pronunciation since that was what was intended for most things. So Foie would be Foy-ay, Zonde would be Zone-day, etc.

Midori Oku got me into the happen of pronouncing the gi in gi techs as jee though >_>

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 12:39 AM
Midori Oku got me into the happen of pronouncing the gi in gi techs as jee though >_>

... It's not?

supersonix9
Honestly I just go with the Japanese pronunciation since that was what was intended for most things. So Foie would be Foy-ay, Zonde would be Zone-day, etc.

yes this is this answer

~Aya~
Frieza uses a move against Goku and says, "FOIE!". It's some finger laser that Goku takes to the face and has no effect. In english dub it sounds like, "PHOOEY"

Xaeris
Mar 28, 2013, 12:40 AM
Foe-Eye-Ay.

What? If you can't be sure you're correct, the next best thing is to be utterly wrong and let everyone think you're kidding.

Zipzo
Mar 28, 2013, 12:41 AM
... It's not?
In Japanese it's spelled with a "Gi" as in Guh, yes.

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 12:42 AM
I see that we're all very bored tonight.

supersonix9
Mar 28, 2013, 12:43 AM
a byte

UnLucky
Zohndeeru

Bahta

Meggybassoo

Lagoorantsu

Kondibon
In Japanese it's spelled with a "Gi" as in Guh, yes.The way Shadowth worded it made it sound like that wasn't right. :x I guess I missread.

Zohndeeru

Bahta

Meggybassoo

Lagoorantsu
My favorite is probably how Google translate turns シフタ into Shifter though.

Narrillnezzurh
Mar 28, 2013, 12:44 AM
Fwah.

Beat me to it ;)

Shadowth117
Mar 28, 2013, 12:45 AM
The way Shadowth worded it made it sound like that wasn't right. :x I guess I missread.

Sorry, some of those are kinda hard to put phonetically... -_-'

Definitely agreeing with you by the way Aya.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 12:47 AM
Sorry, some of those are kinda hard to put phonetically... -_-'

Definitely agreeing with you by the way Aya.All of them are which is where the fun comes from. XD

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 12:48 AM
THIS

IS

[SPOILER-BOX]http://lavendy.net/psu/illusion/technic/dambarta_4.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

BARTAAAAAAAAHHHH!!

Zipzo
Mar 28, 2013, 12:49 AM
The way Shadowth worded it made it sound like that wasn't right. :x I guess I missread.

Just clarify, it's gi as in "gizmo". I used the consonant "Guh" simply to reference the type of G sound being used since a lot of people say "jizonde".

*huehuehuehuehue

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 12:52 AM
Just clarify, it's gi as in "gizmo". I used the consonant "Guh" simply to reference the type of G sound being used since a lot of people say "jizonde".

*huehuehuehuehue

That doesn't really roll off the tongue does it. ;; Thanks for clearing that up though.

Shadowth117
Mar 28, 2013, 01:01 AM
THIS

IS

[SPOILER-BOX]http://lavendy.net/psu/illusion/technic/dambarta_4.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

BARTAAAAAAAAHHHH!!

Nah, needs more gidiga hellfire. Like so =P

[spoiler-box]
http://i.imgur.com/aGPzE2G.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1Mv1FAx.png
http://i.imgur.com/LYu56Vm.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

I miss some PSU spells... Please bring back gidiga SEGA ;-;

Gardios
Mar 28, 2013, 01:02 AM
These topics are no fun if you can read Japanese and never even question how something is pronounced. ;_;

Because Shifters exists and their Japanese translation is... *drumroll* シフタ. <Imagine me linking you to the Wikipedia article of Barrel Shifter here>

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 01:03 AM
Please bring back Dambarta and make ice tree useful

Pyrii
Mar 28, 2013, 01:04 AM
Foe-ay :P

Sealco555
Mar 28, 2013, 01:04 AM
My childhood was shattered when I found out that Megid is actually not pronounced "Me-jid."

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 01:05 AM
These topics are no fun if you can read Japanese and never even question how something is pronounced. ;_;

Because Shifters exists and their Japanese translation is... *drumroll* シフタ. <Imagine me linking you to the Wikipedia article of Barrel Shifter here>

I'm not at all surprised, I figured it was something like that. It's just kinda funny seeing it in refrence to the tech.

Please bring back Dambarta and make ice tree useful
I want all the dam techs back. Make them maintains instead of charged and then give a use to normal tech advanced.

supersonix9
Mar 28, 2013, 01:11 AM
we'll get them. more weapon types will come out and bada-bing bada-boom

Gardios
Mar 28, 2013, 01:11 AM
Can we get a useable Ragrants first please? I want to laser stuff but it's so slow... and so short ranged... What kind of game is this where lasers aren't the bestest thing?!

Chik'Tikka
Mar 28, 2013, 01:12 AM
My childhood was shattered when I found out that Megid is actually not pronounced "Me-jid."

PSU 360 had one thing going for it, and that was in-game voice chat+^_^+ and like 99% of PSU 360 players said "mah-jid"+^_^+

supersonix9
Mar 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
i have to go pick up meh-gids

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 01:15 AM
Can we get a useable Ragrants first please? I want to laser stuff but it's so slow... and so short ranged... What kind of game is this where lasers aren't the bestest thing?!

Well it staggers like mad so I find it good for stun locking gawondas and king yeddies. It does need something to keep it from just being Gigrantz but in one direction though. >:

FenixStryk
Mar 28, 2013, 01:32 AM
Well, what does the katakana say? フォイエ, right? Fu, O, I, E? So... more or less, Foh-Ee-Eh?

In other words:

Foe-Eye-Ay.

TL;DR: Say fire with a bad accent. FOYEH.

gigawuts
Mar 28, 2013, 01:40 AM
Feuer.

Alternatively

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYuZP-HB7I

I have no fucking idea what this video is meant to be.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 01:43 AM

It's about F.O.E.s in the Etrian oddysy games. Basically most of the battles in the game are random encounters, but the FOEs are relatively powerful (read, you will have to well out level the floor to have a chance at beating them). They actually move around on the map and depending on where you are durring a normal battle they can actually join in and fuck up your day when you're already fighting something else... so yeah. Also, until the most recent game they were rendered as big orange balls :3

EDIT: It's a remix of this song (http://youtu.be/cFctacTsLMw)

This is terribly off topic. XD

blace
Mar 28, 2013, 01:46 AM
Feuer.

Alternatively

[IOSYS] F.O.E. HD English Subtitles - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiYuZP-HB7I)

Fucking Overpowered Enemies. Atlus is known for making games with such.

Edit: Forgot the original term, but that's what people call them anyway.

UnLucky
Mar 28, 2013, 02:42 AM
Well, what does the katakana say? フォイエ, right? Fu, O, I, E? So... more or less, Foh-Ee-Eh?

Zohndeeru

Bahta

Meggybassoo

Lagoorantsu
ゾンディール
バータ
メギバース
ラ・グランツ

Syklo
Mar 28, 2013, 03:15 AM
According to katakana it's For-ie-eh
I still say Foh-ie though :D

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 03:16 AM
According to katakana it's For-ie-eh
I still say Foh-ie though :D

According to Aya it's fireball.

gigawuts
Mar 28, 2013, 03:34 AM
I want them to make a tech named フォイエボール and translate it as foieboor.

Dycize
Mar 28, 2013, 03:34 AM
Fo-ee-eh

I've said it some months ago in another topic, but the JP text makes it pronounced almost like the french word Foyer (hearth, fireplace), you can find an audio clue here (http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/foyer) (at the Prononciation section). It actually kinda makes sense that way.
Before reading the JP name though, I always pronounced it fwah.

Zipzo
Mar 28, 2013, 08:34 AM
Fo-ee-eh

I've said it some months ago in another topic, but the JP text makes it pronounced almost like the french word Foyer (hearth, fireplace), you can find an audio clue here (http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/foyer) (at the Prononciation section). It actually kinda makes sense that way.
Before reading the JP name though, I always pronounced it fwah.

Regardless of it's Japanese pronounciation I hate the way its' written pronounciation rolls of my tongue so I say it as F-OW. RA-F-OW. It's clearly the most abnormal way to pronounce it but it's habitual now and for some odd reason everyone knows what I'm talking about anyway.

Dycize
Mar 28, 2013, 09:26 AM
Well of course, unless you've been playing the JP ver with knowledge of japanese since the first PS game, everyone knew it as "foie", which is how it's actually written in jp, but not pronounced.
Now I could always be wrong and it's entirely coincidental, but eh.

Nikoshae
Mar 28, 2013, 09:35 AM
I say 'fwah'

Bellion
Mar 28, 2013, 09:40 AM
Should be pronounced like Fo-ee-eh, but I pronounce it like Foe-ee.
To-mei-to To-ma-to.

ikarius030
Mar 28, 2013, 09:45 AM
I personally prononce it Foo-ah (French prononciation). Foie = Liver in french :P Yes, I know its far from the actual prononciation, but since I'm Canadian French first time I saw the skill Foie in PSO-DC I adopted that way of saying it lol

Daiyousei
Mar 28, 2013, 09:51 AM
I tend to follow the language of what I see it as, usually German or Japanese, but with Foie I see it as in Foie Gras (No it does not mean firegrass), which is French and it's pronounced like Fuwa. But seeing フォイエ I'd say it like how it was written in Japanese and I'd think of the German Feuer.

Saffran
Mar 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
Many spells from the Phantasy Star world come from German.
Hinas -> hinaus
Ryuker -> Rückkehr
Foie (Foi in the US) -> Feuer
Shunera (fanbi in the US I think) -> schneller
Grants -> Glanz
Shuuts -> (deban?) -> Schutz

Anyway, if you want to know for sure, just learn the friendly language.

Daiyousei
Mar 28, 2013, 10:27 AM
I took German in high school so I have a tendency to follow the pronunciation of whatever that looks remotely German. But yea, Phantasy Star has a lot of German references

Iriskatze
Fliegen Set
Rosen Schwart
Those Nacht weapons
Nagel Banther and Ong

I could be here for a while, but only if they are obvious in translation, otherwise I'd miss it completely

gigawuts
Mar 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
real answer foy

like foy faufe

ShinMaruku
Mar 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
Feuer!

supersonix9
Mar 28, 2013, 01:47 PM
Makes sense, a lot of non-english loan words in Japanese come from German.

ShinMaruku
Mar 28, 2013, 01:48 PM
Mainly Portuguese

Inazuma
Mar 28, 2013, 02:49 PM
フォイエ
10char

gigawuts
Mar 28, 2013, 02:56 PM
フォイエ
10char

5char

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 03:05 PM
You all are cray.. all this sillyness going on around here. What about rafoie? Ra foy? Rah foy?

I'ma get on FO and go cast Bardock.

Preposterous Rhino
Mar 28, 2013, 03:11 PM
English players fix. If anything gets voiced when the game is brought overseas, make the forces occasionally scream out the spell being used lol.

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 03:54 PM
English players fix. If anything gets voiced when the game is brought overseas, make the forces occasionally scream out the spell being used lol.

As much as I don't see it happening that would be cool. o wo

BIG OLAF
Mar 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
Foe-eeh. Zon-day. Bar-tah.

That's what makes the most grammatical sense based on their English spelling, so that's how I say it.

FenixStryk
Mar 29, 2013, 12:30 AM
That's what makes the most grammatical sense based on their English spelling, so that's how I say it.Grammatical sense? The words are already inherently nonsensical -- just like the English language! One more exception to the rule won't hurt.

Outside of compensating for the deficiencies of the original language (see: Zondeel (eru), Ragrants (tsu), Megiverse (baasu)) I don't see much point at all to diverge pronunciations further.

Gardios
Mar 29, 2013, 01:17 AM
through though rough thought cough

English is a complete nightmare when it comes to pronunciation.

Nagel Banther and Ong
I am German.

This is not. :wacko:

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2013, 06:02 AM

Reminds me of a Gallagher bit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDFQXxWIyvQ). (starts about half through at 3:20).

Gama
Mar 29, 2013, 06:45 AM
portuguese here, but i usualy read it as english.

altho i say meseta in a hispanic way " Z "

Zenobia
Mar 29, 2013, 07:05 AM
How Forces should be played.

http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=IzCijRLU9xg

Daiyousei
Mar 29, 2013, 09:48 AM

I am German.

This is not. :wacko:

I meant the Nagel part, but yea, Banther and Ong is not German, I guess I should've boldfaced that.

And English with all it's variable vowel sounds as well as borrowing a ton of words from other languages, it ends up being one of the most complicated languages in the world. Can't blame the Japanese for having trouble learning what we speak best.

Zyrusticae
Mar 29, 2013, 11:11 AM
That kinda crap is exactly why learning English first is such an advantage (besides the fact that it's used all over the world to varying degrees). Japanese has the disadvantage of the worst writing system ever devised by man (kanji) in terms of comprehensibility, but at least their pronunciation is always correct. There's a few exceptions ('wo' instead of 'o', 'wa' instead of 'ha'), but they are thankfully few and far between.

Speaking of Japanese, time to go learn some more kanji.... groooaaaannn.

Daiyousei
Mar 29, 2013, 11:30 AM
That kinda crap is exactly why learning English first is such an advantage (besides the fact that it's used all over the world to varying degrees). Japanese has the disadvantage of the worst writing system ever devised by man (kanji) in terms of comprehensibility, but at least their pronunciation is always correct. There's a few exceptions ('wo' instead of 'o', 'wa' instead of 'ha'), but they are thankfully few and far between.

Speaking of Japanese, time to go learn some more kanji.... groooaaaannn.

They have the Chinese to blame for that writing system.

Syklo
Mar 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
Japanese has the disadvantage of the worst writing system ever devised by man (kanji) in terms of comprehensibility

Really?
If you know the basic radicals, for quite a portion of kanji, you can guess what it means on its own, then use logic to figure out what the compound is.
Not easy to read phonetically (lolmultiplepronunciations), but semantically it's somewhat easier (IMO)

Also, originated from chinese, so, yeah.

DreamState83
Mar 30, 2013, 01:45 AM
Magic users spit fobs, but I much prefer my dubs and dags.

Darki
Mar 30, 2013, 03:41 AM
I'd say "phoe-eeh" or whatever the fuck is spelled in english since I'm spanish and we don't have that freaking weird bowel mindfucks that you english speakers have. <_< Can't you just write what you speak, seriously, it's not that difficult.

French is another language to blame on that. You gotta wonder what were they thinking when assigning sounds to latin letters. I'd say a bit tipsy already on the ales.

So, since I'm already too used to english, I tend to say it like "phoay" or something like that. But, using our great Tolkien ways, I'd say the correct wayshould be as in "Foië", speaking that "e" clearly, pronouncing the "o" like in "pork", the "i" like in "link" and the "e" like in "end".

How Forces should be played.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=IzCijRLU9xg[/SPOILER-BOX]

I'd actually go better with Cabal Online wizards. They were fucking awesome.

[SPOILER-BOX]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_p2MiGXiUY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_p2MiGXiUY[/SPOILER-BOX]

Crap graphics compared to PSO2, but I loved the way your character did stuff like levitating and warping while using spells, it looked freaky. Imagine your FO charging a tech so hard that it starts floating and then unleashes a barrage of fireballs from the air. Priceless.

Zyrusticae
Mar 30, 2013, 03:53 AM
Really?
If you know the basic radicals, for quite a portion of kanji, you can guess what it means on its own, then use logic to figure out what the compound is.
Not easy to read phonetically (lolmultiplepronunciations), but semantically it's somewhat easier (IMO)

Also, originated from chinese, so, yeah.
Aside from the part where they have hundreds of radicals and an absurd number of exceptions for how things are pronounced (日, I'm lookin' at you!), sure, I guess it could be worse.

Still far, FAR worse than English where I only need to know the 26 letters of the alphabet and can make a reasonable guess as to what a word sounds like just by looking at it. Yes, even with the ridiculous variable vowel sounds and all. But I'm probably biased, seeing as how I'm a native English speaker and all.

Hell, I'd rather be forced to learn a Cyrillic language than put up with this crap. But Japan holds all the games (and anime and manga and he... stuff), so what choice do I have? :-?

Syklo
Mar 30, 2013, 04:03 AM
Aside from the part where they have hundreds of radicals and an absurd number of exceptions for how things are pronounced (日, I'm lookin' at you!), sure, I guess it could be worse.

Still far, FAR worse than English where I only need to know the 26 letters of the alphabet and can make a reasonable guess as to what a word sounds like just by looking at it. Yes, even with the ridiculous variable vowel sounds and all. But I'm probably biased, seeing as how I'm a native English speaker and all.

Hell, I'd rather be forced to learn a Cyrillic language than put up with this crap. But Japan holds all the games (and anime and manga and he... stuff), so what choice do I have? :-?
Probably.

Phonetics are one thing, semantics are another.

It kinda sucks when you are of a foreign background but know absolutely nothing of that background's language despite putting up with your parents speaking that language your entire life (my backstory).