PDA

View Full Version : How to play as a ranger?

Monstrousangel
Mar 28, 2013, 06:19 PM
Right now I'm playing as a gunner, and I'm just wondering if i can improve in any ways. I play in TPS mode the whole time, and I use an AR with Grenade Shell, Diffuse Shell, and Sneak Shooter, along with a launcher with Divine launcher, Cracker bullet, and Cluster bullet, but I only use Divine launcher. Also, can anybody recommend me a good skill tree build for rangers? I'm only lv 21 right now.

gigawuts
Mar 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
click heads get kills

UnLucky
Mar 28, 2013, 06:35 PM
shoot the bullets out of the gun

yoshiblue
Mar 28, 2013, 06:38 PM
Play reflex shoot/click flash games for maximum reaction and precision.

jooozek
Mar 28, 2013, 06:39 PM
equip launcher
hit ground

Kondibon
Mar 28, 2013, 06:39 PM
Come on guys, he asked for builds too.
Here http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010

Monstrousangel
Mar 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
Come on guys, he asked for builds too.
Here http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010

thank you

ReaperTheAbsol
Mar 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
Pew, pew, pew, WB, snipe, snipe, snipe, wait, wait, wait, wait, pew, snipe, snipe, snipe, wait, wait, wait, wait, pew, snipe, snipe, snipe, and you're done.

Enforcer MKV
Mar 28, 2013, 07:39 PM
Hmm, Stay mobile, make good use of Diffuse shell...

My suggestion for your tree at level 21. (http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?03IEbdIkbdIkIvfbdIkbdIkbdIk0lbIn0000 00ib00000fdB52jds0000lb0000Ib00000ib00000f) Sorry for any potential popups. The simulator is just like that.

I suggest you use One Point, Diffuse Shell, and Sneak Shooter for your rifle PAs. Grenade shell is nice and all...but the launcher's primary fire is practically the same thing.

Launcher PAs...eh, that's up to you. I don't really like Launcher and don't use them often.

But yeah, big thing for me is stay mobile. Both One Point and Diffuse let you move and shoot, so I use them constantly. WB...It's good for bosses and tougher mobs. I don't usually use it on normal enemies because small mobs die so quickly. Bosses? Just aim for their weak point, apply WB, and use Sneak Shooter generously. Repeat until dead.

That's how I play, at least. Hope that helps.

LK1721
Mar 28, 2013, 07:56 PM

My suggestion for your tree at level 21. (http://ryuhiroshi.funpic.de/pso2/skillcalc.php?03IEbdIkbdIkIvfbdIkbdIkbdIk0lbIn0000 00ib00000fdB52jds0000lb0000Ib00000ib00000f) Sorry for any potential popups. The simulator is just like that.

I suggest you use One Point, Diffuse Shell, and Sneak Shooter for your rifle PAs. Grenade shell is nice and all...but the launcher's primary fire is practically the same thing.

Launcher PAs...eh, that's up to you. I don't really like Launcher and don't use them often.

But yeah, big thing for me is stay mobile. Both One Point and Diffuse let you move and shoot, so I use them constantly. WB...It's good for bosses and tougher mobs. I don't usually use it on normal enemies because small mobs die so quickly. Bosses? Just aim for their weak point, apply WB, and use Sneak Shooter generously. Repeat until dead.

Pretty much this.

As for launchers, I'd say Cluster Bullet is pretty great when it comes to taking down groups of smaller monsters. At first it is a little awkward to aim, but does massive damage when paired with Weak Hit Advance since many smaller mobs have the monster's head as the weakpoint. Divine Launcher is another staple for launcher, which is essentially just an extremely powerful single shot. The third slot seems to vary from person to person. I personally use Zero Distance or Rodeo Drive depending on the area.

Neith
Mar 28, 2013, 08:10 PM
Rifle with Sneak Shooter, Homing Emission and any other PA to waste space.
Launcher (I use Divine Launcher, Cluster Bullet and Fake Silhouette)
Gunslash with Additional Bullet, nothing else seems to matter.

Divine Launcher and Cluster Bullet will mop up pretty much any large spawn, Additional Bullet is good for taking out small groups, Sneak Shooter for single target weak point damage (with Weak Bullet applied), Homing Emission against anything with a lot of targetable parts.

...then sub Gunner and try out Mechs. Elder Rebellion/Infinite Fire are great, as is comboing (charged) Aerial Shooting with Bullet Squall. Mechs are ridiculous, but RA has tools of its own and is pretty damn overpowered even without mechs.

Bellion
Mar 28, 2013, 08:17 PM
Rifles - Diffuse Shell, Homing Emission, Sneak Shooter, and One Point.
Launchers - Divine Launcher, Rodeo Drive, and Cluster Bullet.
Gunslash - Aiming Shot and Addition Bullet(Better get a lvl 11+)

Try to figure out the best way to hit the head or weak point of each enemy you encounter. Weak Hit Advance only affects Weak point damage. It will not count towards head damage unless it is something like a Banshee or Banther which their head is a weak point.

A Gilnach is an enemy that has neither and so, your damage won't be that good. Windira do have heads, but their headshot multiplier damage is so low it may as well not even have a boost since you'll do around the same damage on their main body. Pretty much anything without a weak point or head, your damage will be pretty low. That's where other party members come in. Of course, you can just use weak bullet on such enemies.

Lostbob117
Mar 28, 2013, 08:40 PM
READY, AIM, FIRE.

(If you play LoL you'll get the reference.)

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 08:46 PM
SCREAM, AIM, FIRE.

(If you play LoL you'll get the reference.)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mekhana
Mar 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
Rifles:

Use sneak shooter for immobile/slow targets at mid-long ranges.

Use one point for mobile targets at short-mid range.

Launchers:

Divine launcher is must have launcher PA.

For best results when using launcher fire when jumping with practice you can fire 4 shots without touching the ground. This keeps you safer in a longer distance from the enemies and the rockets will fire into the ground, meaning the explosion will make the shots more successful. Just attacks have a very noticeable impact on launchers and they help you keep you on the air longer for more shots.

When using launcher and you need PP fast switch to gunslash, switch to fire mode, left click to until your PP is full again. Go back to divine launcher spam.

Elder Rebellion is a must for twin mechs. Other goods are satellite aim and infinity fire. Entirely optional and ocasionally useful is Dead Approach.

Sometimes with a gunner a weak bullet + small chain is better than no chain at all. Don't get greedy.

Lostbob117
Mar 28, 2013, 08:58 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I messed up on the reference though i fixed it! Also from this I can tell one of two things. You play LoL and get the reference or you don't play LoL and don't like it.

~Aya~
Mar 28, 2013, 09:04 PM
I messed up on the reference though i fixed it! Also from this I can tell one of two things. You play LoL and get the reference or you don't play LoL and don't like it.

I tried it.. got my butt pounded time and time again and thrn ragequit because I sucked at it so bad.

Alisha
Mar 28, 2013, 09:04 PM
whats so good about sneak shooter? is it one of those pa's that gets a huge boost at 11+? cause my low lvl ra does noticable more with diffuse. then again i dont use tps mode at all and abuse SS.

Mekhana
Mar 28, 2013, 09:12 PM
Sneak shooter is nice when you got a Weak Bullet on a weakspot. With a decent gun you can land 20k hits each and you can do several.

Bellion
Mar 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
Diffuse Shell hits the head of your average mobs much more easily. Try aiming the Sneak Shooter at the head.

Enforcer MKV
Mar 28, 2013, 09:21 PM
I don't think the aimpoint compensates for your character going prone during sneak shooter - if you aim slightly higher before you fire, you can hit the head with relative ease.

At least that's how it feels to me, I could be wrong.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 28, 2013, 09:38 PM
I tried it.. got my butt pounded time and time again and thrn ragequit because I sucked at it so bad.

My mind quickly forgot all about video games when I read this

Monstrousangel
Mar 28, 2013, 10:00 PM

Nice, I've never seen anybody put anything into the right side of the tree before. Thanks

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
um...you shouldn't be putting anything into the right side of the tree. R def and a single point into R atk? O_o

You're getting almost nothing out of that.

you can start going into that mess once you get the essentials like WB, weakhit advance, etc, but putting points into r def and R atk like that aren't getting you anything.

Monstrousangel
Mar 28, 2013, 10:22 PM
um...you shouldn't be putting anything into the right side of the tree. R def and a single point into R atk? O_o

you can start going into that mess once you get the essentials like WB, weakhit advance, etc, but putting points into r def and R atk like that aren't getting you anything.

Do you have a recommended build?

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 28, 2013, 10:23 PM
check my build thread in the guides section.

EvilMag
Mar 28, 2013, 10:25 PM
Crash smash all day everyday.

Enforcer MKV
Mar 28, 2013, 10:28 PM

He's only 21, the idea is to grow his R-atk from there and then max WB, etc.

*Shrugs* That's only my suggestion, though. he doesn't "have" to follow it.

But I don't think that giving him a picture of a fully fleshed out tree and saying "here, this is what you should be." when he isn't even halfway to cap is very helpful either. I can always go back in and make up another build for him.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 28, 2013, 10:36 PM
well the point is he's not really gaining anything from putting points on the right side of the tree except maybe being able to equip something one level sooner where as staying on the left side gives steady damage increases.

As far as "what should I be doing at 21" I'd say get WB to 6 and then go into weakhit advance til both are maxed. after that max out wb and then put points into standing snipe.

Monstrousangel
Mar 28, 2013, 11:34 PM
Any tips on raising R-Attack? I'm kinda borderline on being able to equip the next weapon. Also, how can I find rarer weapons? I see some other rangers lower level with more badass looking guns.

Monstrousangel
Mar 28, 2013, 11:39 PM
Rifle with Sneak Shooter, Homing Emission and any other PA to waste space.
Launcher (I use Divine Launcher, Cluster Bullet and Fake Silhouette)
Gunslash with Additional Bullet, nothing else seems to matter.

Divine Launcher and Cluster Bullet will mop up pretty much any large spawn, Additional Bullet is good for taking out small groups, Sneak Shooter for single target weak point damage (with Weak Bullet applied), Homing Emission against anything with a lot of targetable parts.

...then sub Gunner and try out Mechs. Elder Rebellion/Infinite Fire are great, as is comboing (charged) Aerial Shooting with Bullet Squall. Mechs are ridiculous, but RA has tools of its own and is pretty damn overpowered even without mechs.
I actually don't use my gunslash at all unless i'm doing an order that requires it. I don't see a point to them

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 29, 2013, 12:00 AM
you might find a use for them later...especially if you main gunner

Gen2000
Mar 29, 2013, 01:33 AM
Rifle: Sneak Shooter, Homing Emission, filler (Diffuse Shell/One Point/Glorious Rain for lulz)
Launcher: Divine Launcher, Rodeo Drive, Cluster Bomb.
Gunslash: Additional Bullet, Thrillsploison

Shouldn't really be using Rifle that often over Launcher vs. trash mobs. Divine Launcher, Cluster Bomb, or Rodeo Drive kills a majority of trash mobs in 1-2 PAs even on GU/RA and many more at once at one time compared to Rifle PAs. Additional Bullet/Thrillsploison for odd situations where Launcher isn't ideal. Divine Launcher's pop-up effect good when things get hectic just point it at the ground and all small-medium size mobs near your is floored.

Sneak Shooter and Homing Emission the main boss killers when boosted by WB on RA heavy combos like RA/HU, RA/FI. The latter PA more tricky to pull off vs. bosses but very rewarding when done so. If maining GU with RA sub then all that can be replaced with Elder Rebellion + WB and Chain Trigger combo.

http://nicoviewer.net/sm20182038

Good video to watch that shows the strengths of each of the 2 main RA weapons + Gunslash in different situations.

Monstrousangel
Mar 29, 2013, 01:48 AM
Rifle: Sneak Shooter, Homing Emission, filler (Diffuse Shell/One Point/Glorious Rain for lulz)
Launcher: Divine Launcher, Rodeo Drive, Cluster Bomb.
Gunslash: Additional Bullet, Thrillsploison

Shouldn't really be using Rifle that often over Launcher vs. trash mobs. Divine Launcher, Cluster Bomb, or Rodeo Drive kills a majority of trash mobs in 1-2 PAs even on GU/RA and many more at once at one time compared to Rifle PAs. Additional Bullet/Thrillsploison for odd situations where Launcher isn't ideal. Divine Launcher's pop-up effect good when things get hectic just point it at the ground and all small-medium size mobs near your is floored.

Sneak Shooter and Homing Emission the main boss killers when boosted by WB on RA heavy combos like RA/HU, RA/FI. The latter PA more tricky to pull off vs. bosses but very rewarding when done so. If maining GU with RA sub then all that can be replaced with Elder Rebellion + WB and Chain Trigger combo.

http://nicoviewer.net/sm20182038

Good video to watch that shows the strengths of each of the 2 main RA weapons + Gunslash in different situations.

Is it bad that the most interesting thing to me from that video was the dashing? There needs to be a tutorial for that. And thanks for that link, i think i could learn a few things from it.

Zenobia
Mar 29, 2013, 03:56 AM
you only need a couple of things for a ranger and this si what it is.

Get Weak bullet as fast as ya can once you do get it to about aout 6 after that max weak hit advances 1 and 2 then start maxing standing snipe 1 and 2.

You do not need R def or R atk so don't touch anything on the right side of the tree.

So basically the only skills you would and should be getting are..

Weak Bullet: Get it at lvl 6 max it during later lvls.

Weak hit advance 1 and 2: Max these asap the quicker the better.

Standing snipe 1 and 2: Max em both for ultra damage.

Bout all you will need for RA buddy.

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 29, 2013, 04:00 AM
^pretty much what I said lol

Zenobia
Mar 29, 2013, 04:50 AM
^pretty much what I said lol

I suck at not reading through the pages I know I sowwi~

SociableTyrannosaur
Mar 29, 2013, 04:53 AM
sokay I forgives yas~

Monstrousangel
Mar 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
you only need a couple of things for a ranger and this si what it is.

Get Weak bullet as fast as ya can once you do get it to about aout 6 after that max weak hit advances 1 and 2 then start maxing standing snipe 1 and 2.

You do not need R def or R atk so don't touch anything on the right side of the tree.

So basically the only skills you would and should be getting are..

Weak Bullet: Get it at lvl 6 max it during later lvls.

Weak hit advance 1 and 2: Max these asap the quicker the better.

Standing snipe 1 and 2: Max em both for ultra damage.

Bout all you will need for RA buddy.

Would standing snipe work while stationary, but in the air? Because I usually jump before shooting most of the time.

gigawuts
Mar 29, 2013, 03:28 PM
Would standing snipe work while stationary, but in the air? Because I usually jump before shooting most of the time.

Standing snipe is a bonus for any two attacks where your location in space does not change between them.

So it works for a quickly timed midair JA additional bullet and elder rebellion, and it works for any attacks on the ground that do not move you. You can move during the second PA after it has standing snipe applied. Because of this normal mechgun attacks won't get it, but rifle ones will.

Mikessc88
Mar 29, 2013, 11:36 PM
Divine launcher is must have launcher PA.

For best results when using launcher fire when jumping with practice you can fire 4 shots without touching the ground. This keeps you safer in a longer distance from the enemies and the rockets will fire into the ground, meaning the explosion will make the shots more successful. Just attacks have a very noticeable impact on launchers and they help you keep you on the air longer for more shots.

Very good advice.

I also use One Point at close range, although if u are standing u can use it effectively a longer ranges. I find myself circling the enemies and as they close in on me I will use diffuse shell to knock them down and allow me to move back to a safe range.

Narrillnezzurh
Mar 30, 2013, 12:24 AM
I actually don't use my gunslash at all unless i'm doing an order that requires it. I don't see a point to them

Personally, each shot from my gunslash does more damage than a volley from my rifle, and aimed shot does more than sneak shooter on weakpoints. It has a faster fire rate and faster PP generation as well, so I usually only use my rifle to apply WB, then I switch to my gunslash.

I say personally because my build is a bit unorthodox, but I'm working to fix it.

hovsep56
Apr 8, 2013, 04:19 PM
simple just click to someone you want dead