PDA

View Full Version : Goranzoran. Interesting name, don't you think?

Punisher106
Apr 10, 2013, 11:46 PM
Now, if anybody has followed the Phantasy Star games more than myself, you can tell that there is some sort of "language" formed for the monster names. This is prevalent in PSU/PSP(2(i)). Think. Onmagoug, Alterazgoug, Zoal Goug, etc. The Goug suffix could mean Beast, and stuff like Alteraz could mean White, etc. Now hear me out. Goranzoran. This miniboss uses magic. What other mob in the Phantasy Star series uses magic and shares a similar name? Gaozoran. Could it be possible that the -Zoran suffix could perhaps relate to a sort of a Magician-like term? We should look out for the names for the additional monsters that come out and link their names with other monsters. It could be possible, especially among the Dragonkin.

Mind my random hypothesis, but something just rubbed me in a strange way about this boss's name.

Rien
Apr 10, 2013, 11:47 PM
I thought Japan just misspelled Gorgonzola cheese

Darki
Apr 10, 2013, 11:57 PM
As far as I know the "-ran" stands for "lesser dragon". like in Caterdran, Nodiran, Fodoran, etc, while "-draal" seems to imply "dragon", in Burn Draal, Caterdraal, etc. But the "-zo-" there in between might imply a magic based creature, but remember that you also have the "Dinian" which is clearly a dragonkin that uses magic and has no "-zoran" in the name.

Rayden
Apr 11, 2013, 12:14 AM
As far as I know the "-ran" stands for "lesser dragon". like in Caterdran
I thought "Caterdra'n" was just short for "Caterdragon" since it'd be too long otherwise.

Darki
Apr 11, 2013, 12:21 AM
Then same would apply for any other monster with a "dran" in the name, like Fodoran (spelled "Fodran"), Nodiran" (spelled also "Nodran").

Not saying that you're wrong, just that it's something that's shared in other dragonkin.

GuardianGirth
Apr 11, 2013, 01:01 AM
Sega didn't even try to hog how it's stealing from another game this time. Goran Zoron? It both has a name that is Goran and and Zora from Zelda and looks like a cross between a goran and king zora that sits there and makes foul noises. What a savage.

Darki
Apr 11, 2013, 01:23 AM
Lolz. But the "zoran" suffix as the OP says was there before.

Syklo
Apr 11, 2013, 05:55 AM
if the -ran suffix implies "lesser dragon" (or "Dragon" contracted into "Dran", lol).
I'm curious to know how a Baridran is a lesser dragon and a Windira is not.

Darki
Apr 11, 2013, 06:11 AM
Well, it's a matter of pronunciation. Windira If I had to make sense of that name for me it would be more like "Windra", which sounds like dragon too. <_<

Alisha
Apr 11, 2013, 06:23 AM
i think pso 2 could turn out to be an origin story especially since we havent seen any non falz d-type life forms. some parrellels i've noticed.
the humanoid dragonkin-----diminian line and delsaber
brehada and dagans------bulc/buclaw/dark gunner/death gunner
goranzoran-------chaos sorcerer
durandals-------chaos bringer?
any type of bear----dark berla?
and of course theres arkz-----arkz both of wich fight corrupt individuals from what we know so far.

BIG OLAF
Apr 11, 2013, 06:25 AM
"ARKS" =/= "Arkz"

Alisha
Apr 11, 2013, 06:29 AM
its similar enough that generations later a group could of taken that name for symbolism. but i was grasping at straws on that one.

Syklo
Apr 11, 2013, 06:32 AM
Well, it's a matter of pronunciation. Windira If I had to make sense of that name for me it would be more like "Windra", which sounds like dragon too. <_<
Yes but I still don't see how a baridran is a lesser dragon....

or maybe it's because I'm using the wrong definition of dragon :wacko:

Punisher106
Apr 11, 2013, 07:30 AM
Well if -Ran is that of a lesser dragon, then -Zoran could mean "Magic Dragon". This could imply that the Gaozorans in Gurhal were originally dragonkin before becoming SEED-Forms. Hell, even "Goran" was used before, in Blue Burst. I still hate those teleporting suckers. But I don't see a connection between this fatty and them.

Renvalt
Apr 11, 2013, 07:49 AM
Here's what I understand from doing my Matter Boards and stuff (note: this is all speculation at this point, so take not a word of it 100% seriously - believe at your own discretion).

Right now there are two tribes within the Dragonkin that we have seen - the Ko and Hi tribes.

We've already seen two noble dragons amongst them - Hi'Roga and Ko'Lera. The latter seems to be a handmaiden of the Ko Tribe Primarch, Kamitsu, whilst Hi'Roga seems to be the big brother/foster father figure in the Hi tribe (this is evident in how Hi'En seems to revere Hi'Roga with a great deal of respect).

My belief is that the Hi tribe consists of dragonkin born into lesser status, whilst the Ko tribe would represent nobility.

On to classification. The Dragonkin seems to be split into several species. The "Dinians" appear to be the humanoid types. Things like Sol and Sil seem to indicate special caste assignments - Set being an Artisan/Gatherer/Craftsman, Sil being a Warrior, and Sol being an Archer/Hunter (in the Hunter-Gatherer sense of the word). Those not given a title are essentially bearers of the Amduscian legend (oracles, you could say).

Dirans appear to be akin to Wargs or Horses for the Dinians. Fordoran seems to be the adult version of Nordiran, whilst Dirandals are Dirans outfitted/bred for war (they could be tamed or they could be outfitted via some kind of magic).

The "-sa" suffix seems to indicate whether any particular Dragonkin is a direct member of the Ko tribe. The only place this wouldn't work would be in Baridran's case, since I'm like to believe that Baridrans are slaves of the Ko tribe (again, don't quote me on this).

"Draal" suffixes seem to indicate "Greater" in a dragon's lineage. Think of an Elder Red Dragon or a Greater Wyrm, and this is what you get.

Thus, Caterdraal would indicate an Elder Caterdrake, whereas Burn Draal would indicate an Elder Vol Dragon. In most cases, their name changes based off of what they represented.

Vol Dragon/Burn Draal = Obsidian/Citrine
Quartz Dragon/Crys Draal = Quartz/Lace Agate
Chrome Dragon/Haze Draal = Chromium/Sulfur
Dragon Ex/Noir Draal = Pyrite/Hematite

Dragon Ex is a special case in that he is not named after his respective mineral origin, but rather a weapon - Excalibur. His rare variant, Noir Draal, represents the polar opposite of the wielder of Excalibur - the infamous Black Knight. Noir means "black" in French, so Noir Draal would most likely mean "Elder Black Dragon".

Goranzoran seems to be another unusual case - I wager he's among the lower end of Dragonkin that are not given caste-based names, and is instead unique among his kind.

I probably should take a look at this "Gaozoran" fellow before I conclude my analysis though - that, or wait for new Amduscia areas to open before I finish my analysis.

Kion
Apr 11, 2013, 08:14 AM
[spoiler-box]
Aki: The dragon clan has several clans. HI and KO are two you're familiar with.
Aki: Their society is divided into several levels with each clan making up the social ladder.
Aki: The highest clan is KO who has absolute authority over all other clans.
Aki: I still have no idea why they are respected above all else, but it means that if I can contact them, then I can get through to everyone at once.
Aki: I have no idea where they are, or what they look like, but that's something that I have to do.
Aki: If the entire dragon clan respects the KO clan, then they have an obligation to look after their own.
[/spoiler-box]
The six dragon clan names are:
-Ro -Chi -Ki -Fu -Ko -Hi
Ko seems to be crystal, Hi fire. So maybe four more elemental types of dragons? But overall i don't really pay attention to this stuff.

Renvalt
Apr 11, 2013, 08:28 AM
[spoiler-box]
Aki: The dragon clan has several clans. HI and KO are two you're familiar with.
Aki: Their society is divided into several levels with each clan making up the social ladder.
Aki: The highest clan is KO who has absolute authority over all other clans.
Aki: I still have no idea why they are respected above all else, but it means that if I can contact them, then I can get through to everyone at once.
Aki: I have no idea where they are, or what they look like, but that's something that I have to do.
Aki: If the entire dragon clan respects the KO clan, then they have an obligation to look after their own.
[/spoiler-box]
The six dragon clan names are:
-Ro -Chi -Ki -Fu -Ko -Hi
Ko seems to be crystal, Hi fire. So maybe four more elemental types of dragons? But overall i don't really pay attention to this stuff.

I wonder... is the Kanji used for "Chi" the same used in "Earth"? Because I believe that the Chi tribe may be Earth. Also, "Fu" probably represents Wind here, so Fire/Crystal/Earth/Wind...

Also, are you sure that Goranzoran's name isn't "Goronzoran" rather than "Goranzoran"? I need to take a look at his name to be sure - because he MIGHT belong to the Ro tribe if that's the case (and I think someone in Chapter 6 Amduscia path mentioned how annoying the Ro clan was getting). Ki is the only tribe we're not aware of, so as such, we have:

Ko - Crystal
Hi - Fire
Chi - Earth
Fu - Wind
Ro - Kinesis (?)
Ki - ???

Gardios
Apr 11, 2013, 08:31 AM
Regarding Goronzoran (-> ゴロンゾラン, wit "ro"), I don't think there's a corrolation between tribe names and species names so that shouldn't matter.

Also, there's no kanji used for the tribes afaik (speculating would be easy otherwise), the names are katakana.

Caledonia
Apr 11, 2013, 09:06 AM
This is all assuming that the names of the Dragonkin are what the Dragonkin call themselves and not what the Arks have designated them.

If these are Arks designations (which I suspect) then likely they're based from their similarity to pre-existing archetypes, or from the roots of whatever language stands in place of latin as the Ark's base language.

If the names are however, the Dragonkins names for themselves, all/any of the above theorys stand. However I suspect that if the Dragonkin had named themselves it'd be more along the lines of Hi-Warrior, Ko-Ranger etc...

Renvalt
Apr 11, 2013, 09:57 AM
This is all assuming that the names of the Dragonkin are what the Dragonkin call themselves and not what the Arks have designated them.

If these are Arks designations (which I suspect) then likely they're based from their similarity to pre-existing archetypes, or from the roots of whatever language stands in place of latin as the Ark's base language.

If the names are however, the Dragonkins names for themselves, all/any of the above theorys stand. However I suspect that if the Dragonkin had named themselves it'd be more along the lines of Hi-Warrior, Ko-Ranger etc...

Well, I know that the Skylands mobs (the reskinned ones, that is) have "sa" at the end of their names (Sadinian for the Dinian types, Diransa for the Diran types, Dransa for the Caterdran types). This is a notable difference between the Skylands and Volcano mobs - yet this doesn't carry over into Sanctum. Odd, that.

Rien
Apr 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
Don't look at the mob names. They only have proper clan names in the story mode...

Caledonia
Apr 11, 2013, 10:35 AM
But a proper-name is a proper-name no matter the language.

For example, I call myself Scottish, but others may call me British. This doesn't affect the name I'm called by.

So do the Dragonkin call themselves "Sandian" etc, or do they call themselves something else while the Arks call them "Sandian"?

Rien
Apr 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
Dinian and Sardinian/sol.sardinian...etc is more of classifications by ARKS.

I mean some day a Dagan can come up and call itself "Dagger", no?

...Yeah right, as if we're gonna listen to a Dagan.

gigawuts
Apr 11, 2013, 11:13 AM
Dinian and Sardinian/sol.sardinian...etc is more of classifications by ARKS.

I mean some day a Dagan can come up and call itself "Dagger", no?

...Yeah right, as if we're gonna listen to a Dagan.

I can imagine the story taking this exact turn in the future, given darkers are meant to be fully corrupted alien species (presumably mainly from planets we haven't yet discovered).

bardiche
Apr 11, 2013, 03:00 PM
I wonder... is the Kanji used for "Chi" the same used in "Earth"? Because I believe that the Chi tribe may be Earth. Also, "Fu" probably represents Wind here, so Fire/Crystal/Earth/Wind...

Also, are you sure that Goranzoran's name isn't "Goronzoran" rather than "Goranzoran"? I need to take a look at his name to be sure - because he MIGHT belong to the Ro tribe if that's the case (and I think someone in Chapter 6 Amduscia path mentioned how annoying the Ro clan was getting). Ki is the only tribe we're not aware of, so as such, we have:

Ko - Crystal
Hi - Fire
Chi - Earth
Fu - Wind
Ro - Kinesis (?)
Ki - ???

Going by that they imitate On-readings of kanji and possible elemental weaknesses, I think it might be something like this:

光 ko - 'light', weak to dark.
火 hi - 'fire', weak to ice
風 fu - 'wind', weak to fire
鬼 ki - 'ghost /demon', weak to light
滝/浪/露 ro - 'waterfall?/waves?/dew?', weak to lighting
地 chi - 'earth', weak to wind

Aside from Ko and Hi, it's still nothing more than me trying to put together a kanji meaning with an elemental weakness as speculation though.

MoonAtomizer
Apr 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
The name of the thread reminded me of Donte.

"My name, by the way, is Goranzoran. But you can call me Goranzoran the Dragon Summoner. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?"

:disapprove::disapprove::disapprove::disapprove: :disapprove::disapprove::disapprove::disapprove: :disapprove::disapprove::disapprove::disapprove:

Sparzyle
Apr 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
Well, I know that the Skylands mobs (the reskinned ones, that is) have "sa" at the end of their names (Sadinian for the Dinian types, Diransa for the Diran types, Dransa for the Caterdran types). This is a notable difference between the Skylands and Volcano mobs - yet this doesn't carry over into Sanctum. Odd, that.
Hmm not sure if totally related but in a event tablet, Hi En tolds you that they call the Caves Area by the name of Kirshina which means dragon hell, also there's Terioto which is the Skyland Area

Maybe the mobs in the Sanctuary are the most near to heaven or something like that :-? so they don't carry these "sa" suffix?