PDA

View Full Version : Graphics drivers crashing?

Limbo_lag
Apr 11, 2013, 02:11 PM
Firstly, would like to note that I've already set up a topic in the tech support forum asking for advice on the problem. Decided to set up a separate thread in "general" since most people post here. If mods have any problems with this, feel free to delete.

I've recently been frequently having graphics driver restarts when traversing the new dragon altar area. This has never happened in the past with the introduction of other areas (e.g. ruins), nor does it happen in the lobby, or to my experience so far, any other area.

Would therefore just like to ask whether anyone else has been getting graphics card crashes recently with the new update? I'm currently using a GeForce540M with latest drivers installed.

poopington
Apr 28, 2013, 05:11 AM
I hate to bump up an old thread but it seemed easier than making my own, but I've been recently having the same issue when I'm in the ruins. If i'm there for an extended period of time my nvidia drivers crash. ruins are the only place it happens, this is the only game it happens to and it kinda sucks because I really like ruins. If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd be grateful.

DreamState83
Apr 28, 2013, 08:52 AM
Hah, I considered it a rare annoyance but now that you mention it if I alt+tab my full screen game for longer than a minute or two the game will crash out.

I've also noticed that if I try to open photoshop CS6 while the game is running that it will fail to load the graphics card enhanced features.

My card isn't even old D:

Gama
Apr 28, 2013, 09:25 AM
its the game, its not your card.

try to update your graphics card to prevent random crashes, if it dosent work try a beta driver or a previous driver.

Limbo_lag
Apr 29, 2013, 02:40 AM
As much as I would hate to say this, "thank god I'm not the only one". It might not be my motherboard after all.

It also seems strange to be a hardware problem if its only during missions that I lock up. Afking/grinding in lobby has never crashed for me so far, even though we know it does require a graphics card to even render, if that makes sense. If it were a card/mboard/connection problem, should it not stand to reason that the lobby would crash as well?

When I made this post in the past, it was only the Dragons Altar region which locked up. Now it seems to affect me whenever I run Tundra or Nab as well. Back when it was only Altar, I did a file check, and it picked up a few files to download, which seemed to fix the problem temporarily, so you guys can try this as well. With this latest patch though, the problem seems to have returned.

I take it you've also run into this, Gama?

Also, does anyone know if the JP community/Sega are aware of this?

Gama
Apr 29, 2013, 07:49 AM
i had a similar issue due to bad drivers "nvidia sometimes screws up"

also, i would do a file check.

Limbo_lag
Apr 29, 2013, 09:26 AM
Just food for thought - could overheating cause this kind of crash? (i.e. game freezing and sound stuttering, BUT still able to alt-tab partially. By partially I mean, it sorta responds as I see the start-bar but I'd still have to hard reset the laptop).

From my experience with older laptops overheating just causes a complete shutdown.

Why I raise this overheating possibility was that I ran OCCT and it notified me that one of my computers cores had overheated (albeit slightly) during a stress test on my GPU after about 10 minutes. My comp is about a year old and I have been gaming on it quite frequently. It's just that the type of lockup/crash seems different from a simple overheating problem :/

Gama
Apr 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
pso2 dosent use allot of ram i think, but it could be faulty ram in his case?

Aeris
Apr 29, 2013, 02:21 PM
Why I raise this overheating possibility was that I ran OCCT and it notified me that one of my computers cores had overheated (albeit slightly) during a stress test on my GPU after about 10 minutes. My comp is about a year old and I have been gaming on it quite frequently. It's just that the type of lockup/crash seems different from a simple overheating problem :/

This seems like the thermal paste or pad is starting to get bad or the heatsink isn't cooling efficient like its normally should be doing due to all that gaming, it might be time to clean out your heatsink where the cooling fan is but some people don't bother to open up their desktop/laptop because they might fiddle with something that will void their warranty or break something instead but sooner or later after a while, it needs to be opened up and cleaned out and the thermal paste/pads redone more often for a laptop than a desktop.

pso2 dosent use allot of ram i think, but it could be faulty ram in his case?

The game normally uses around 800MB to 1.2-1.3GB of ram depending on whats loaded on the client in memory and your graphic settings on the game, if you have 4GB+ of ram then you're fine.

Limbo_lag
Apr 29, 2013, 08:54 PM
@ Aeris: Whilst I'll definitely have to clean out my comp sooner or later, do you think that overheating could cause such crashes to occur? Rather than stutter and freeze, wouldn't the comp. just shutdown in those cases? Also, the core temperatures remain normal during rest, which is also strange. Quick buildup of heat could suggest dust build-up I guess :/

Aeris
Apr 29, 2013, 09:02 PM
Well do you play other games and get any of the same results on them as well, also do you use a monitoring program, sometimes PSO2's GG doesn't even like most of them for reading cpu temp but for gpu temp it reads fine.

UnLucky
Apr 29, 2013, 09:02 PM
My card (ATI 5770) would crash at any time because it adjusts the voltage dynamically. Known issue. Worked perfectly after I fixed the voltage at a specific value statically.

The kind of crash would gray out my screen, but sound would continue to play normally. Had to reset the computer whenever it happened, and it'd do that when completely idle, browsing webpages, encoding video, or playing games.

Guess it's not entirely relevant, but strange issues can cause strange problems. Doesn't necessarily have to end in a total crash out / BSOD.