PDA

View Full Version : Do Gunslashes need a rework?

Radical Dreamer
Apr 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
I was pretty excited when I heard they'd be adding Gunslashes to PSO2. I've always been a sucker for swords that can turn into guns / guns that can turn into swords. After using them for a bit, though... Well, to me, the Gunslash isn't the super awesome transforming weapon I thought it would be.

Now, I'm not saying the Gunslash is bad. Additional Bullet is great for clearing Forest/Dragon mobs and the gun attack is decent enough for regening PP. That's just the problem, though; the Gunslash feels more like a pistol than anything else. Right now, there is absolutely no reason to use the melee at all; switching modes is awkward to do in the middle of combat and the range/power of the melee is just subpar.

What do you guys think? Is there a problem with Gunslashes? If there is, how would you go about fixing it?

gigawuts
Apr 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
The melee component is mediocre because of its obscenely short range and slash rave requiring a grab. Even fists have better AOE for crying out loud.

UnLucky
Apr 13, 2013, 05:49 PM
Wait, the Gunslash can become a sword?

BlankM
Apr 13, 2013, 05:53 PM
Gunslash gear!?

Lostbob117
Apr 13, 2013, 05:55 PM
They're boring, you should be able to combo switch from gunmode to swordmode, but you can't and that will never happen.

gigawuts
Apr 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
Gunslash gear!?

I've wanted the gunslash to be able to use weak bullet and get a gear on melee for aaaages. Then come out with cool SE bonus tatk-requiring gunslashes.

But since the new classes came out it would present an issue with wasting SP on fighter vs. hunter. You could do that on purpose and just make them redundant like the step tree, but eh.

Then again, if it had one bonus on HU and a different one on FI, then they could be combined...

Renvalt
Apr 13, 2013, 06:07 PM
I've wanted the gunslash to be able to use weak bullet and get a gear on melee for aaaages. Then come out with cool SE bonus tatk-requiring gunslashes.

But since the new classes came out it would present an issue with wasting SP on fighter vs. hunter. You could do that on purpose and just make them redundant like the step tree, but eh.

Then again, if it had one bonus on HU and a different one on FI, then they could be combined...

Yet the Gunslash client orders are specific to Ranger. I can confirm this, as can any other newbie that does Lisa's COs.

I think that if Gunslash gets a gear, it should either work like Sword and Twin Mechs - the longer you keep your combos going, the more damage you do with it; getting hit would drop a bar of gear (think DMC's Style System).

gigawuts
Apr 13, 2013, 06:10 PM
I think you mean daggers and twin mechs. Sword is some crazy mix of different bonuses of range, damage, stun duration, charge time, etc. varying based on the PA and does not fall if you take a hit.

Also, I'm not sure what you meant by the "and yet" or the "i can confirm this etc." What are you even arguing? And why?

Kondibon
Apr 13, 2013, 06:12 PM
This would probably be a waste to most people but I was thinking of each class getting a gunslash skill that gives them a bonus to their respective stat when using a gunslash, so it could better function as a hybrid weapon when subclassing. But I don't think many people would go for something like that.

Zenobia
Apr 13, 2013, 06:12 PM
I do like the Gunslash and they make good for getting those out of reach buttons but also AB=Additional Bullet is bad ass and it works good with standing snipe.

Also agreeing here Gunslash should have had a gear from day one why it doesn't is beyond me.

Radical Dreamer
Apr 13, 2013, 06:29 PM
They're boring, you should be able to combo switch from gunmode to swordmode, but you can't and that will never happen.

I think it'd help a lot if the Gunslash had a PA like Rifle's Impact Slider. You know, shoot a few shots while dashing forward, then instantly switch to sword mode so you can go on stabbing them. Why would it be impossible for Sega to add something like this in the future, though?

This would probably be a waste to most people but I was thinking of each class getting a gunslash skill that gives them a bonus to their respective stat when using a gunslash, so it could better function as a hybrid weapon when subclassing. But I don't think many people would go for something like that.

It'd be cool if each class had a certain skill that boosted an aspect of the Gunslash. Hunters could give it more range, Fighters could boost the attack speed and give the mode switch an invincibility frame, etc. It probably won't happen given Sega's recent trend with skills, but still.

This might be a dumb idea, but maybe there could be a class in the future that focuses entirely on Gunslashes? I imagine it would be something like the "Super Novice" from Ragnarok Online; difficult to use and unable to access the higher level equipment of other classes, but can kick all sorts of ass thanks to being super customizable and versatile in everything.

Syklo
Apr 13, 2013, 07:30 PM
Gunslash Gear Type 1: Behaves like knuckle gear, except not only does it speed up with consecutive MELEE Attacks, it gains range.
Max range being wand melee.

Type 2: Using a Slash-PA consumes 1 bar - increases range, each hit is doubled.

omgwtflolbbl
Apr 13, 2013, 07:38 PM
I would like to be able to switch between ranged/melee mode on gunslash without having to do that stupid animation. I think it'd be a lot more fun to use that way, if only for putting together fun combos and keeping a decent feeling pace.

yoshiblue
Apr 13, 2013, 07:48 PM
Should make them vibrating blades so that it does extra damage while it cuts your foes open. Maybe add bleed that lasts as long as your swinging.

Mekhana
Apr 13, 2013, 07:50 PM
I use them to gain PP. Nothing else.

Gardios
Apr 13, 2013, 08:13 PM
I think it'd help a lot if the Gunslash had a PA like Rifle's Impact Slider. You know, shoot a few shots while dashing forward, then instantly switch to sword mode so you can go on stabbing them. Why would it be impossible for Sega to add something like this in the future, though?

That stabbity stab stab shoot PA could switch into gun mode afterwards. Or the slash upward shoot PA. Man I'm good with Gunslash PA names...

Anyway, random Gear idea. Stock type, fills up by hitting stuff.
Hunter: Improve PA damage
Fighter: Invulnerable during PA
Ranger: Next shooting attack is an AoE
Gunner: Shoot while slashing (consumes half a stock or something)
Force: Fully charge a technique instantly
Techer: PA lowers enemy defense
Samurai: Become a ninja instead

Yeah I totally ran out of ideas halfway through.

Renvalt
Apr 13, 2013, 09:37 PM
I think you mean daggers and twin mechs. Sword is some crazy mix of different bonuses of range, damage, stun duration, charge time, etc. varying based on the PA and does not fall if you take a hit.

Also, I'm not sure what you meant by the "and yet" or the "i can confirm this etc." What are you even arguing? And why?

Okay, when you first start out, your class instructor gives you three COs (two in Marlu's case) when you clear Afin's first CO - one for each weapon. Ohza gives you Swords/Wired Lances/Partizans, Marlu gives you Rods and Talis, and Lisa gives you Rifle/Launcher/Gunslash.

It makes me think that they intended the Gunslash to be used more in gun mode than in sword mode, and that sword mode was meant as a sort of "safety" mode in case shit got too close/you somehow ran out of PP/etc.

I mean, the designs have more "gun" than sword in them. Reminds me of a bayonet the way some of them are designed.

Arrow
Apr 13, 2013, 10:03 PM
How to fix gunslash:
either
1) change weapon action to dodge action like gunner and have it where in mid dodge you shoot ranged and have melee attacks when not dodging.
2) make it dual wield like twin daggers and make combos go from between melee and ranged automatically ( dual wield 2 slices + single gun come around 2 shots + wired lance 3rd standard combo like slice followed by tmg style shoot)

Blundy
Apr 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
need to be able to apply all the bullets.

yoshiblue
Apr 13, 2013, 10:30 PM
Or increase running speed.

Scale of Judgment
Apr 13, 2013, 10:41 PM
Hunter: Gunslashes slash attacks travel a good distance after it is swung like sonic arrow
Fighter: Teleport to targeted spot to attack
Ranger: Bullets leave a guidance mark on spot. All range and technics are guided to that specific spot for all allies within the viccinity.
Gunner: Chains auto activate+automatic is enabled.
Force: bullets+slash applies additional elemental weaknesses or increase elemental weakness damage to target depending on the weapon's element.
Techer: replaces Wands(jk) but loses bullet ability in place of the ability to now perfect block, block, and mirage dodge.

yoshiblue
Apr 13, 2013, 11:00 PM
My take on it.

Hunter: 2x or 3x run speed and power that matches partisans.
Fighter: Air blades or multiple hits. Evade moves farther.
Ranger: Increased range damage and can proc bleed damage. Stacks with poison or fire.
Gunner: Fires gun while slashing and PAs last longer.
Force: Increased element damage and can dual cast/sync techs and PAs.
Techer: Has the chance to apply Zalure or Jellen per hit. Can stack 3 times when using PAs.

Only effects main class.
http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww298/pho_88/1233943697065.gif
NO STACKING!

Du1337
Apr 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
they are the worst.... after 4 hours of play i removed them from my palette and never used them again. the fact all classes can use it isnt a gopd thing either....just some stupid weapon that doesnt aquire a class skill te use it.

Posted from Pso-world.com App for Android

GALEFORCE
Apr 15, 2013, 03:19 AM
Gunslash Gear

Hunter/Fighter: 50% chance to fire a shot with any slashing attack (including PAs), increased PP gain while shooting

Ranger/Gunner: 50% knockdown rate on slash attacks, Gunslash can benefit from all class skills (ranger only), Increased chain rate (gunner only)

Force/Techer: Applies 25% of your tech attack as striking and range attack while equipped with a Gunslash. While charging a technique, you can use a basic slash attack to imbue the blade with the technique's uncharged effect for up to three slashes at no additional PP cost. While charging a technique, you can fire a shot to apply the effect wherever the bullet lands. Aiming Shot now benefits from Charge PP Revival.

-------
I think all of these would make the gunslash more fun. This coming from someone who mains gunslash on all of my classes so far. For HU, the extra damage wouldn't be a lot, but it does rack up a little extra here and there, and the extra PP gain when a shot happens would be helpful. PP regen by switching to gun would be more viable.

For ranger, I really want to be able to use weak bullet with GS. I haven't played gunner much, but it seems like GS could benefit from more chain.

FO/TE would gain a small damage boost with the t-atk boost. I think this gear would really spice up gunslash on the tech classes, since they'd benefit in different ways from both ends. Being able to charge your slash attacks with basic techs would be neat, and it would make use of your t-atk even more. Magic bullets could be used like a reverse talis for support or offense. Aiming Shot benefiting from PP revival could make the FO marksman very deadly.

gigawuts
Apr 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
Some of these are pretty rodonkulous. I was just gonna have HU's bonus be a parry or guard while changing modes, and fighter's be sonic arrow style bonus hits with decreased damage for more total damage and a ton more hits. A bit more damage plus better proc rates on SE's and chase bind.

Then ranger would get weak bullet, gunner would get ZRA bonuses to all gunslash attacks.

Force would get a bonus to SE proc rate on techs and techer would get to use wand gear with it.

Stacking allowed.

Alisha
Apr 15, 2013, 10:44 PM
what gunslash could simply access any gear you have on your main/sub?