PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have a problem with psu/arks layer patches?

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 16, 2013, 05:02 PM
Having trouble getting the large patches working along with the story translation patch.

Installing the english patch first, then making the needed overwrites happen when installing the story translation after result in the story patch not working anyway, and vice versa.

Anyone have this same problem/fixed it?

Caledonia
Apr 16, 2013, 06:21 PM
What do you mean by "the story patch isn't working" --which bit are you at? You may just be at a point that is untranslated as yet

(also make sure you're using all the latest files --all mine are certainly working)

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 16, 2013, 06:52 PM
What do you mean by "the story patch isn't working" --which bit are you at? You may just be at a point that is untranslated as yet

(also make sure you're using all the latest files --all mine are certainly working)

What I mean is it's working on it's own, but with the other translation patch for enemies, menus, etc there is a problem.

Like I said, if I install the story patch first, then the menu/enemy patch after agreeing to overwriting old files, the menu/enemy patch will not work while the story patch continues to work, and the same happens in reverse when I install the menu/enemy patch first.

blace
Apr 16, 2013, 06:53 PM
Are you using the up to date patch? You should edit the OP as well, since we can't name places that modify game files.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 16, 2013, 06:54 PM
I haven't downloaded the newest story patch...I suppose it's possible there's some overlap with the files. even still that shouldn't affect the entirety of either.

How exactly are you installing them?

Caledonia
Apr 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
---and are you installing from a clean build each time?

Maronji
Apr 16, 2013, 07:44 PM
---and are you installing from a clean build each time?
This.

From a mishap that my brother encountered, this is very important. If you patch over older patches and not a clean folder, it's more likely to cause problems.

I suppose it's possible there's some overlap with the files.
Unless some of the story files cross over into core patch territory, none of the files overwrite each other if you were to put them all in the same folder.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 16, 2013, 09:22 PM
Extracting through winrar. Used the most up to date patches. Extracted menu patches into one empty folder, then the story patch into another empty folder.

Copied the menu patch files into win32, from there, followed by story patch after. Chose to copy and replace as needed. The result is only the menu patch worked.

Deleted the win32 folder, and copied the original copy of it back over, and did the previous action in reverse by starting with the story patch, then the menu patch. Only the story patch worked that time.

So yes, I do it with a fresh win32 folder each time since i copy the original before messing with patches.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Apr 16, 2013, 09:26 PM
Unless some of the story files cross over into core patch territory, none of the files overwrite each other if you were to put them all in the same folder.

I can't confirm this since the servers just went down, but that might have been the case. I don't think i was imagining things, but after putting in a fresh win32 folder again to just throw in the menu patches alone, it didn't work, and event fields/story were still translated.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't imagining things, and copied over the menu patch that time, and not the story...

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 16, 2013, 09:46 PM
Menu patch is like 5mb. So you shouldn't even(or would barely) have noticed the unzip process.

Honestly I use the english launcher since it takes care of all this stuff for me, but it hasn't been getting updated, so I don't think it will accept the new story files since it still thinks the latest menu patch is incompatible with the game.

Maronji
Apr 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
NOTE: Agrajag released a new Core Patch while I was writing this, but it should still hold true for the most part. But damn, this is probably the biggest troubleshooting post I've ever written.

I can't confirm this since the servers just went down, but that might have been the case. I don't think i was imagining things, but after putting in a fresh win32 folder again to just throw in the menu patches alone, it didn't work, and event fields/story were still translated.

Are you sure you're not mistaking "translated event fields/story" for "translated Event Field names", which are most definitely in the Core Patch (and, if I recall, there are still a few fields with JP names)?

That being said, if you threw in a fresh folder, only threw in the Core Patch and (maybe) the Large Files addon patch, both dated 4-11 (which didn't work), and the story stuff was still translated, then you have a problem with your backup. You'll have to run a file-check to verify that your backup is 100% clean, because that shouldn't be happening. At all. Ever.

Furthermore, I can't understand why this is giving you so much trouble, considering I copy one patch in after the other and it runs just fine. Regardless, something's going wrong somewhere down the line, and I'm trying to figure out if it's user error or technical issues. Let's try this (and please, do it to the letter):
[SPOILER-BOX]
Integrity Checking
Run a file-check on your backup folder (aka copy it back into the win32 folder without doing anything else) to verify that it's 100% clean (or to make it 100% clean; whichever happens first). If the patch goes up by the time this gets posted, then take the time to let that go through now.
Make a new backup of your now clean win32 folder. Delete your old backup folder just in case; do not overwrite it. While you're at it, delete any existing patch folders you may have, because you'll be re-extracting them for maximum integrity.
Verify that you have the Core Patch (now dated 4-17) and Large Files Patch (dated 4-11). If not, then get them now.
Verify that you have the Story Patch (dated 4-10; even though it was released on the 14th-ish, the file name should say 4-10). If not, then get it now.
Extract the Core Patch and the Large Files Patch into one folder (do not extract directly to the win32 folder, especially if you're running Windows Vista or later).
Extract the Story Patch into a separate folder (again, not extracting it directly into the win32 folder).
Open a new window and go to [your path to the game here]\pso2_bin\data\win32
Before doing anything else, open the launcher. Let it patch the game, or else it will re-file-check your folder and wipe out your patches. If you let it file-check and patch in Step 1, then you might be able to skip this step.
Take the Core+Large Files patch you extracted and copy it to the win32 folder. When the file conflict dialog pops up, check "Do this for the next x conflicts" and click "Copy and Replace". Do not close or navigate away from the win32 folder yet (or else you risk going back to your backup folder by mistake).
Copy the Story Patch to the win32 folder, doing the same thing you did in the last step.
Checking the Results
Everything from here will most likely have to wait until the servers come back up. You can, however, open the game to test part of the Core Patch, as the title menu should be translated if the Core Patch is working correctly.
Run a test by starting the game. If the options on the Terms of Use window and the title menu itself are translated, then we're off to a good start. If not, see the troubleshooting steps below.
Log in the rest of the way and open the main menu. If the menu options are all translated, then so far, so good. Otherwise, refer to the troubleshooting steps below.
Check various NPCs around the lobby to see if the Client Orders are translated, and then do the same for the Quest Counter and the quest names. If those are translated, then the Core Patch should be working properly.
Now to test the Story Patch. First, attempt to do the first event-related matter on your Matter Board that you can access (you may have to switch matter boards or progress on your current one to do this). If it works, then we're in business. If not, Alt+F4 out of the game before the end of the scene and follow the troubleshooting steps below.
Finally, go into one of the Arks Quests that takes place in the Forest area. Most, if not all, of the Event Fields here should be translated by the story patch. Hit up the first Event Field you see. If it's translated, then great. Everything is fine and nothing is broken. If not, follow the troubleshooting steps below (don't worry; it'll reappear as a gray tablet).
[/SPOILER-BOX]
If the above guide didn't work for you, then I have a number of troubleshooting steps for you.
[SPOILER-BOX]
If nothing's working and/or your launcher is downloading 900+ files, then you didn't let the launcher patch the game first before applying the patches (or you clicked the file-check button when you weren't supposed to). Copy your backup back in (taking care not to copy your current folder over your backup), let it patch, and try again.
Test the patches separately. First test the Core+Large Files patch (since it's small and won't take very long to apply) and then the Story Patch, taking care not to apply them to your backup folder. If one doesn't work, then you might not have applied it correctly.
When applying both sets of patches, one thing you could try is to combine all of them into one single folder and copy that in. This shouldn't cause any problems because none of the patches should overwrite any files between them. If you get a file conflict prompt, re-extract all of the patches, because some stray files may have leaked into one of the other patch folders (which shouldn't normally happen).
Are you using the Japanese Actor file? This reverts enemy names back to Japanese so you can use the enemy name placeholder macro (<target>) without shooting off the translated enemy name (which could get you into trouble in JP parties, but there's no guarantee either way).
If you have problems getting both patches to work together, tell us which patch isn't working and specify what parts of that patch aren't working. For example, if the Core Patch isn't working, give examples like "The main menu isn't translated.", "Quest/Client Order names aren't translated.", etc. If the Story Patch isn't working, give us examples like "An Event Field in the Floating Continent/Skyland isn't translated." or "The Event Field for Matter A-2 on Matter Board 1 isn't translated.", etc.
(Normally, I would recommend trying to use the alternative English launcher right about here, but I don't know if you can use it for the latest Story Patch, and it's been giving people issues with updating/file-checking since last week.)
[/SPOILER-BOX]
Again, one patch should not be interfering with the other, as none of them share any files between them.