PDA

View Full Version : Any possibility at "Beasts" making a comeback?

Pages : [1] 2

Daemon Gildas
Apr 17, 2013, 07:37 PM
As much as I adore PSO, I genuinely liked the addition of the Beasts in PSU, moreso in Phantasy Star Portable, when they took on more barbaric physical appearances. Maybe might tastes are a bit too "Western" these days, but I liked the look having the bigger, meaner-looking guys with those sweet, sweet beard-styles.

Has there been any word on whether they might return in the future, maybe via Expansion or DLC or anything?

BlankM
Apr 17, 2013, 07:40 PM
They're in the data, but nobody knows how far off they are as the next race is most likely Dumans.

Zyrusticae
Apr 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
In all likelihood they are going to reappear down the line as another new race, possibly for Episode 3. There are some (very minor) references to beasts in the files, but nothing concrete as of now.

BIG OLAF
Apr 17, 2013, 07:41 PM
There's always a possibility. I hope they do return.

~Aya~
Apr 17, 2013, 07:42 PM
Yay! Do they come with aim assist? They be bliiind.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 17, 2013, 07:44 PM
They're in the data, but nobody knows how far off they are as the next race is most likely Dumans.

...Dumans?

Maronji
Apr 17, 2013, 07:46 PM
...Dumans?

A race that was added in Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity (PSPo2i), a game that never made it to western shores.

Don't feel like going into the finer details, since at this point, it's not really relevant to PSO2.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
Last I heard Dumans were the ones in the data, not beasts.

BIG OLAF
Apr 17, 2013, 07:49 PM
Last I heard Dumans were the ones in the data, not beasts.

They both are.

Lostbob117
Apr 17, 2013, 07:53 PM
Beast were found in the data but only in some random list.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 17, 2013, 07:53 PM
Hmm... interesting, to say the least. It sounds like, either way, it's probably a ways off before either race is offered, if ever? Bummer, since the Beasts were only just starting to really come into their own, I thought, but I'm sure I'll be fine as Human!

I wonder, though; do they offer any more in the way of facial-hair options? PSU's facial-hair always felt a bit lacking, but you take what you can get :P

NightfallG
Apr 17, 2013, 09:12 PM
A beast with cat ears.

Two sets of goofy animal ears.

Get on my level.

Rosel
Apr 17, 2013, 09:17 PM
I don't understand why they're adding extra humanoid when there's so many accessories for your human (animal ears, facial tattoos, tails, etc.)

They should add a race which has totally different features. If Duman really is confirmed, that would be disappointing for me personally.

Enforcer MKV
Apr 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
...Dumans?

Think Vampire, nearest I can tell.

gigawuts
Apr 17, 2013, 09:24 PM
I was thinking, I disliked the look of beasts in PSU, their backstory, and their balancing with nanoblasts, but I'd like to see them return as a native species of some new planet. Make them look more animalistic, with a stronger emphasis on a large hulking form instead of just a weird nose on an otherwise ordinary human being with spots on its textures. I guess full time nanoblast look, except toned down a bit and not colored like skittles.

Hell, I've been thinking for a while we need another race that uses the parts system, maybe beasts could do just that, letting you customize each portion of the body, with CV parts offering different fur patterns shit I don't know.

yoshiblue
Apr 17, 2013, 09:25 PM
Who knows? Maybe Beast will come with insanely good mobility.

Alisha
Apr 17, 2013, 09:39 PM
i can has?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMS0pEEnHo

i honestly think the katana class will be dewmans and the bow class will be beast especially since its compound bow and not a yumi.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 17, 2013, 09:42 PM
I was thinking, I disliked the look of beasts in PSU, their backstory, and their balancing with nanoblasts, but I'd like to see them return as a native species of some new planet. Make them look more animalistic, with a stronger emphasis on a large hulking form instead of just a weird nose on an otherwise ordinary human being with spots on its textures. I guess full time nanoblast look, except toned down a bit and not colored like skittles.

Hell, I've been thinking for a while we need another race that uses the parts system, maybe beasts could do just that, letting you customize each portion of the body, with CV parts offering different fur patterns shit I don't know.

I agree 100%, the Beasts felt sort of "meh" in PSU at first, but they really hit their stride in PSP2, I think. Like you said, the Nanoblast-form probably would've looked cool, if it hadn't been so bizarrely colored. Also, I was never a fan of the "cat-face" nose and lips :P

Honestly, I would bring the Beast race back, and just go totally "Western" with them, in terms of aesthetic-choices. Give em hulking frames, overly-masculine features -- basically, make them like Nords from Skyrim. I'm with you on "Parts", too; having such beefy-looking characters wouldn't look right in typical Suits and whatnot that Humans and Newmans wear.

Angelo
Apr 17, 2013, 09:52 PM
Am I the only one who liked the PSU Beast stats more than the Portable ones?

Alisha
Apr 17, 2013, 09:56 PM
...Dumans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Vws2iOJoE

Daemon Gildas
Apr 17, 2013, 10:29 PM
Am I the only one who liked the PSU Beast stats more than the Portable ones?

I think we're mostly just talking visuals :D

Rosel
Apr 17, 2013, 10:37 PM
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - Hyuga Ryght vs Nagisa (Japanese Audio with English Subtitles) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Vws2iOJoE)

So, they're pretty much just humans, but stronger? :-?

Does anyone actually want these? lol...

Angelo
Apr 17, 2013, 10:44 PM
I think we're mostly just talking visuals :D

Oh true. Portable Beasts looked way better, though a lot of it has to do with the fact that the 'Beast exclusive' costumes really beefed up the build.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
Oh true. Portable Beasts looked way better, though a lot of it has to do with the fact that the 'Beast exclusive' costumes really beefed up the build.

Ah, right; I forgot those were technically "Costumes". If Beasts are brought back in the future, those beefier builds should probably just be passive, and as earlier suggested, maybe give them a distinct type of clothing to suit their larger builds (ie. leather and bone armors with some high-tech stuff weaved into the gear).

The only thing I really can't remember is whether or not the Female Beasts looked as radically different? I remember the males in the Portable games because they were completely monstrous, but I don't remember even checking out the female options.

Alisha
Apr 17, 2013, 11:57 PM
the females beasts in psu looked radically different. the more lupine ones in PSP2 looked far more similar to the male ones.

Zyrusticae
Apr 18, 2013, 12:01 AM

Humans with pale skin and eye patches, with fragile frames but high attack power. Pretty much just that.

Yeah, they're boring, and definitely not the most exciting addition to the game ever. Hopefully beasts are more different than their PSU incarnations down the line...

(Note: It is highly, highly unlikely that they will ever add a race that can't wear already-existing outfits)

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 01:43 AM

They looked like that because they were simply modified humans same with dewmans and newmans. They were all from the baseline human. It's the homo mermanus and the eternals from marvel.

Zipzo
Apr 18, 2013, 01:47 AM
I hope they never come back. It's fine that there is some data bit in the files on them but here's to hoping it stays there.

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 01:50 AM
I just want to make a space marine...
People do not know the honour of going into combat as a space marine.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 18, 2013, 01:54 AM

In infinity their infinity blast set them apart. And if we wanna take it your way, Newmans are just a failed experiment to try to make better humans, the only real difference is that they are physically weaker and have pointy ears, casts are just silly robots with metal skin and high range capabilities, Beasts are just a bunch of strong man made people with a cleft lip, animal ears, and 1 crayon short of a rainbow if you catch my drift... Duman is a frail white guy thats stronger than normal.

EDIT: almost forgot beast lol

Well no one really sees it that way, Duman is just another race with different stats, like all the other non humans in the game.

Zorafim
Apr 18, 2013, 02:39 AM
...but I'd like to see them return as a native species of some new planet. Make them look more animalistic, with a stronger emphasis on a large hulking form instead of just a weird nose on an otherwise ordinary human being with spots on its textures.

Why does that sound familiar? (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyIM5V6EQhksYxoBwPZ3SIs3EkQkgkF 1q26Ulqwp6-bXE7rl8f)

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - Hyuga Ryght vs Nagisa (Japanese Audio with English Subtitles) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Vws2iOJoE)

Well.

I hate dewmans now. I don't know the context of that scene, and only have a basic grasp on their back story. But that video made me hate them.

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 02:52 AM
You'll be shocked to know Hyuga is a dewman too. :P
It's possible for humans to become dewmans.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 03:01 AM
Dumans were all humans from the start >_>

•Col•
Apr 18, 2013, 03:06 AM

LOLNOPE

I'm kinda upset how many Beast haters there were before PSO2 was released when they SHOULD'VE been hating on Dumans.

Honestly, the only possible way I could get behind the Duman race if they make them ACTUALLY look like Darkers/Seed/Falz/Whateveryouwanttocallthatevilforce infected humans...

See Pollux from PSO Episode 3:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/halohalox/ep3/Snap151.jpg

Please Sega. Please. Don't just make them humans with pale skin and red eyes.

PLEASE. BE CREATIVE.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 03:23 AM
I hated dumans and hated how beasts turned out. Does that count?

•Col•
Apr 18, 2013, 03:37 AM
I hated dumans and hated how beasts turned out. Does that count?

I can see how people hated on Beasts in PSU... But I hope you at least gave PSP2 Beasts a chance. I feel like they really broke away from that whole 'humans with dog ears' thing in it.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 03:53 AM
i actually was one of those weirdos that ran beast Fortegunner/Gunmaster in psu.

I tend to like making females though and female beasts were a travesty. The new beast forms were much better than the old ones from PSU...females were much more playable. I still didn't think they met their potential. and the nanos still felt unwieldy

iridesence
Apr 18, 2013, 05:09 AM
Beast women ARE the best.

:twak:

i disagree. newmans are the best.

Newman supremacy ^^

Alisha
Apr 18, 2013, 05:16 AM
How many beasts does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, they still use fire! Haha, dumb beasts!

But seriously, the game's story seemed to hate beasts with a passion, considering that they were bio-engineered to be everyone's slaves, and purposely designed to have low IQs. If I may say, some people even went sofar as to say that Beasts were designed after the African American race, since most of the beasts in story mode (all?) were dark skinned, and because of the whole slavery deal.

However, contrary to popular belief, Beast women ARE the best.

some of the changed with psp2 where we got another glimpse into beast culture

Chik'Tikka
Apr 18, 2013, 05:24 AM
However, contrary to popular belief, Beast women ARE the best.

i just spent like 20 minutes searching youtube for a lady beast nanoblast..... like really... how could no one record that strut?? (even if they only walked all sexy with analog stick)+^_^+ all i could find was this laggy vid and the person doesn't do the sexy walk oonce..... well... imma have to boot up PSU now and make a fem beast in offline just for that+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLo1OGofcYg

gigawuts
Apr 18, 2013, 06:10 AM
They looked like that because they were simply modified humans same with dewmans and newmans. They were all from the baseline human. It's the homo mermanus and the eternals from marvel.

this is the part of the backstory i thought was really really dumb

Why does that sound familiar? (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyIM5V6EQhksYxoBwPZ3SIs3EkQkgkF 1q26Ulqwp6-bXE7rl8f)

Hah, I guess history repeats itself. I haven't played the earlier PS games, or well I haven't played them much. I'm a stickler for playing things in order, so I spent a few hours wandering around in PS1 and well...

(nostalgic as fuck though, I guess I know where that one turbo grafx dungeon crawler I grew up playing got its ideas...and sprites).

jooozek
Apr 18, 2013, 06:11 AM
no idea why would anyone get excited over any new race coming ever to pso2
not like they arent all just skins with different stats

Zipzo
Apr 18, 2013, 07:00 AM
no idea why would anyone get excited over any new race coming ever to pso2
not like they arent all just skins with different stats

Same reason people get excited for new outfits (skins with absolutely zero stats).

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 07:12 AM
At least outfits are clearly visible. Duman? fucking eye patch? Pirate face? Can only see the difference from the front? Yar?!

We can make green people that look like Dezolians already. At this point they may as well just make an eye patch accessory and let you set your own stat growth with X points to allocate if they're not going to make some very real differences in appearance and customization options.

gigawuts
Apr 18, 2013, 07:16 AM
At this point they may as well just make an eye patch accessory and let you set your own stat growth with X points to allocate if they're not going to make some very real differences in appearance and customization options.

I'm waiting for this update. It would benefit the game as a whole, I think. I'd prefer it over giving us racial abilities this long after we've chosen our race.

That said, I'd also like having traps and techs given as a tertiary class sort of thing that we can select at-will. Then give ranger some other secondary tree, maybe a big expansion on loadable bullets.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
I'm waiting for this update. It would benefit the game as a whole, I think. I'd prefer it over giving us racial abilities this long after we've chosen our race.

That said, I'd also like having traps and techs given as a tertiary class sort of thing that we can select at-will. Then give ranger some other secondary tree, maybe a big expansion on loadable bullets.

i feel so bad for mobs in this game...... i mean... we got space elves and robots throwing lightning and hot lead at these poor creatures that are still throwing rocks, snowballs and swinging swords with shields +^_^+

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 07:28 AM
Man fuck them and their rocks and snowballs. If they had left me alone they might have survived.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 18, 2013, 07:33 AM
Man fuck them and their rocks and snowballs. If they had left me alone they might have survived.

.... your the one that came from god knows where in space, invaded their planet, walked into their front yard and started shootin and abducting.....

+^_^+

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 07:38 AM
See them rappies that just sleep or sing they get left alone. Some of these things come from God knows where too. Hopping out and trying to caress my characte'rs barelty clothed and barely there ass...
(⌐■_■)

Chik'Tikka
Apr 18, 2013, 07:42 AM
See them rappies that just sleep or sing they get left alone. Some of these things come from God knows where too. Hopping out and trying to caress my characte'rs barelty clothed and barely there ass...
(⌐■_■)

you sure your not talking about the block 20 crowd?? +^_^+ i mean, non of that explains why your invading planets and killing and abductin the poor natives....

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 07:45 AM
I like how people pile on block 20 when I can make any block start spamming those lobby arts.
And those natives are not poor have you seen the oodan's faces? It's the devil looking at you. And don't get me started on the dogs. They keep hopping around.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
*redacted statement*
those oodans probably think the same about you+^_^+ i still don't understand how lechers in blk 20 coppin feels has anything to do with you invadin planets+^_^+
EDIT; hijacked thread with hangover blurriness and weird wake up thoughts+^_^+ sorry all for going all off topic+^_^+

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 08:00 AM
I am not invading their planets I am just visiting and enjoying the sun. Oh and murdering darkers.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 18, 2013, 08:03 AM
I am not invading their planets I am just visiting and enjoying the sun. Oh and murdering darkers.

And walking around almost naked, bathing in their water pools.

Ezodagrom
Apr 18, 2013, 08:04 AM
i mean, non of that explains why your invading planets and killing and abductin the poor natives....
The natives that arks fight on planets are usually infected by darkers, it's mentioned in event tablets the first sign of darker infection is unusual aggression towards the arks.

Zyrusticae
Apr 18, 2013, 08:44 AM
We can make green people that look like Dezolians already. At this point they may as well just make an eye patch accessory and let you set your own stat growth with X points to allocate if they're not going to make some very real differences in appearance and customization options.
Come to think of it, it's kind of weird that they gave us exactly this in PSU but completely omitted it in PSO2. Then again, they also started balancing each and every single PA one by one, which they're also not doing in PSO2.

SEGA management really confuses me, man. :-(

gigawuts
Apr 18, 2013, 08:48 AM
Come to think of it, it's kind of weird that they gave us exactly this in PSU but completely omitted it in PSO2. Then again, they also started balancing each and every single PA one by one, which they're also not doing in PSO2.

SEGA management really confuses me, man. :-(

But they are balancing PA's one by one! Didn't you catch the extra damage some got at level 11?

Zyrusticae
Apr 18, 2013, 08:57 AM
But they are balancing PA's one by one! Didn't you catch the extra damage some got at level 11?
...Yeah, I guess what I meant to say is that they're kind of sucking at it. ^^;

Zeik2006
Apr 18, 2013, 09:36 AM
The Nano blasts and what have you would all have to get either removed ror rebalanced.

It wouldn't exactly be fair to have beasts running around with a nano blast AND a Photon Blast, would it?

Laxedrane
Apr 18, 2013, 09:43 AM
The Nano blasts and what have you would all have to get either removed ror rebalanced.

It wouldn't exactly be fair to have beasts running around with a nano blast AND a Photon Blast, would it?

This is why I want it turned into a chargeable gauge that goes down based on the move you do.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 18, 2013, 09:51 AM
Who needs Nanoblasting and Infinity Blasts when we have Photon Blast anyway? Sure having both might be fun and look cool but aside that I don't see the added value. Though, if they do it, as long they don't shaft Human and Newman like they did in PSU by not giving them a thing and giving Beasts Nano and Casts the SUV I'm good.

gigawuts
Apr 18, 2013, 09:58 AM
Add a photon blast that you can control.

Bam, nanoblast is in the game.

They should never add a race with race-exclusive abilities, not unless they give a race changing ticket and an equally powerful race-exclusive ability for every other race :wacko:

(seriously, you think there was a shitstorm over any nerfs or boosts in the past? oh lord)

MetalDude
Apr 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
Beast is never getting an exclusive unless every other race does. We can change classes but we certainly can't change races. It'd cause so much rage.

Zenobia
Apr 18, 2013, 10:18 AM

Well.

I hate dewmans now. I don't know the context of that scene, and only have a basic grasp on their back story. But that video made me hate them.

All you did was see a video and auto dubbed it as I hate them until you ACTUALLY try them then maybe you can give your final verdict lol.

Also I love beast and Dumans fuck hating where is the equality?

•Col•
Apr 18, 2013, 01:03 PM
All you did was see a video and auto dubbed it as I hate them until you ACTUALLY try them then maybe you can give your final verdict lol.

Also I love beast and Dumans fuck hating where is the equality?

Plenty of people hated Beasts because they feel like they were kinda original. Which is understandable.

Dumans are completely unoriginal. They deserve 100% of the hate.

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
None of those races are original. They are all mutated humans aside from da robits.

gigawuts
Apr 18, 2013, 01:21 PM
Plenty of people hated Beasts because they feel like they were kinda original. Which is understandable.

You're talking about a series where one of the races looks exactly like elves but aren't elves.

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 01:22 PM
Space elves were never elves in fiction space elves were almost without exception human. :P

Shadowth117
Apr 18, 2013, 01:45 PM
Space elves were never elves in fiction space elves were almost without exception human. :P

Um, what? What is Star Trek? It doesn't really matter what they're called, they are what they are.

As far as other races go, I disliked beasts since I DID feel like they were unoriginal in that they were marginally different than humans. Seriously, I get the need for bipedal races, but something that doesn't look human with slightly different ears and noses would be nice.

Z-0
Apr 18, 2013, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I never really understood the point of newmans, beasts and dewmans myself.

At least casts are somewhat different. I don't see the problem with making beasts "full-on furries" myself (well maybe not that extreme), as it is something different to humans by a larger scale than different skin tone and ears, lol.

Shadowth117
Apr 18, 2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I never really understood the point of newmans, beasts and dewmans myself.

At least casts are somewhat different. I don't see the problem with making beasts "full-on furries" myself (well maybe not that extreme), as it is something different to humans by a larger scale than different skin tone and ears, lol.

Well newmans are justifiable if only because they were in the original games. Although honestly the other races from those ought to be considered for this in my opinion as well like the bird people that have been pointed out.

NoiseHERO
Apr 18, 2013, 02:11 PM
Just don't give them anyone nanoblasts.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 03:46 PM
The issue is without racial abilities and distinct differences in appearances they're just shuffling shit around and giving it a different name.

Story wise they make no sense either unless they're going to pull something stupid and start calling infected humans dumans. These photoner people who've gone without so much as a whisper have more reason to be there than dumans but even still, we're talking about shifting 1-2 points from A and B and putting them in C and D. Dumans serve 0 purpose unless they're getting their infinity blasts (leaving everyone else is stuck with just PBs(they're not)). So new races need to be set apart differently than just stats and eye patches. Giant blue furballs with tiny beak like mouths get my approval on that merit alone. I would love to see something in line with dragonkin too.

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 03:56 PM
Um, what? What is Star Trek? It doesn't really matter what they're called, they are what they are.

As far as other races go, I disliked beasts since I DID feel like they were unoriginal in that they were marginally different than humans. Seriously, I get the need for bipedal races, but something that doesn't look human with slightly different ears and noses would be nice.
That's why I said almost without exception. Of course there are some but the majority are humans modified to be almost not human.

Kilich
Apr 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
Or they make mags level 200 into SUV, IB, NB and think of something more.

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 04:00 PM
They can add nano blast and whatever they want. Make racials mean something.
What do humans get? Buff the fuck out of their photon blasts make them something epic once again. Hell make race specific photon blasts and give you 2 slots to use. One is general then one is racial based.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 04:00 PM
Right, completely remove PBs for everyone but humans and newmans but keep the PBs in the state they are now.

While we're at it let's give casts Paradise Cataract again...with the old multipliers...cause you know...THAT wasn't broken.

Kilich
Apr 18, 2013, 04:02 PM
Make human PB into gunship/tank summons. While newmen will get ranged telekinesis throws that work even on bosses.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 04:04 PM
That sounds even more ridiculous than summoning guns from space or morphing into a creature 5 times your size.

Kilich
Apr 18, 2013, 04:06 PM
Photons.

Also, I had an idea lately that photons are actually very similar to Higgs Bosons, the particles that give everything mass. At least one of the families of these particles.

Edit: Higgs Bosons were discovered by CERN about the time PSO2 launched, btw.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 04:09 PM
I don't think the photons in PSO are any different from the photons here. Just in that world, people figured out how to manipulate them with their will.

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 04:09 PM
I come from DNF where broken is always welcome.
But only broken when you have your best gear and the right set up.

Kilich
Apr 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
No, photons are light particles. They don't control energy transfer, space time compression and other stuff that PSO photons do and what could, possibly, do Bosons.

That's like Star Trek photons, they are called that because the word was cool back then.

But that derails the thread.

Demon-
Apr 18, 2013, 04:17 PM
I wish beasts would comeback.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 04:23 PM
I'm aware of what a photon is. It doesn't change the fact that no matter what you call it it's called science fiction for a reason. I mean lightsabers, man. Solid light that is projected to a fixed point with nothing on the other end to absorb or reflect it. Explain it. You can't without sounding like a crazy person. I get that you took a year of college physics or watched an episode of the big bang theory and want to show off, but seriously, just let it go.

Tenlade
Apr 18, 2013, 04:26 PM
Just don't give them anyone nanoblasts.

Man even if they weren't all that amazing, Nanoblasts were fun. Turning into something as big as a rockbear and smashing enemies is awesome. Heck a rockbear nanoblast would be sweet.

yoshiblue
Apr 18, 2013, 04:28 PM
Captain Rockbear vs Mecha Newman Waifu.

Kilich
Apr 18, 2013, 04:32 PM
I'm aware of what a photon is. It doesn't change the fact that no matter what you call it it's called science fiction for a reason. I mean lightsabers, man. Solid light that is projected to a fixed point with nothing on the other end to absorb or reflect it. Explain it. You can't without sounding like a crazy person. I get that you took a year of college physics or watched an episode of the big bang theory and want to show off, but seriously, just let it go.

Where did light sabers and big bang theory came from? You can go watch a documentary about discovery of those particles, if you want.

NoiseHERO
Apr 18, 2013, 04:34 PM
Game needs cyborgs.

Comes with 3 part outfits...

Minus doll joints and giant robo designs.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 18, 2013, 04:34 PM

umm. from what i understand, the fiction behind Star Wars lightsabers is some crystal that turns energy into plasma which is then funneled through one end and contained by a mix of power modulation and magnetic fields. that magnetic field keeps them from passing through each other too i guess. what I'd like to know, how the hell do you turn one on without turning yourself into a crispy?? plasma is very very hot, and to get the cutting effect lightsabers have, it would have to be 30,000° F or hotter+^_^+ where's the heat shielding??

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 04:45 PM
That's hilarious.

Lightsabers(or in PSO photon(read: "light") sabers)are a staple of classic sci-fi that give a clear example of light as a solid. The who point was that you seem to making a big stink about someone being able to will light particles into a fireball or a solid without mass or initiate some form of warp drive.

All I'm saying is it's sci-fi and it may as well be fantasy. All the technobabble they throw out is utter bullshit and trying to compare photons in a game where sorcery is science to higgs bosons sounds like you saw something on tv or heard something in a lecture, thought was interesting and just wanted to throw the words out there unless you actually think someone's gonna sit down with you and try to work out how someone is conjuring bolts of lightning with their thoughts and how beam/light/photon sabers work.

Zenobia
Apr 18, 2013, 04:45 PM

What i said blew completely over your head you missed my point completely but Giga revised it for you. And also there were plenty of beast in that psp version of the infinity series from what I saw same can go for PSU. Anyway I've played and there was a equally amount of ppl of each race int he game so like I said fuck hating where is the equality?

Kilich
Apr 18, 2013, 04:50 PM
That's hilarious.

Lightsabers(or in PSO photon(read: "light") sabers)are a staple of classic sci-fi that give a clear example of light as a solid. The who point was that you seem to making a big stink about someone being able to will light particles into a fireball or a solid without mass or initiate some form of warp drive.

All I'm saying is it's sci-fi and it may as well be fantasy. All the technobabble they throw out is utter bullshit and trying to compare photons in a game where sorcery is science to higgs bosons sounds like you saw something on tv or heard something in a lecture, thought was interesting and just wanted to throw the words out there unless you actually think someone's gonna sit down with you and try to work out how someone is conjuring bolts of lightning with their thoughts and how beam/light/photon sabers work.

Well, we'll agree to disagree and stop the derail. How about that social option, mr Dinosaur?

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 04:53 PM
umm. from what i understand, the fiction behind Star Wars lightsabers is some crystal that turns energy into plasma which is then funneled through one end and contained by a mix of power modulation and magnetic fields. that magnetic field keeps them from passing through each other too i guess. what I'd like to know, how the hell do you turn one on without turning yourself into a crispy?? plasma is very very hot, and to get the cutting effect lightsabers have, it would have to be 30,000° F or hotter+^_^+ where's the heat shielding??

plasma funneled through the end, yet it doesn't damage the emitter or any components of the hilt at all yet they're easily cut through.

Like I said, it's all bullshit. That's the point. People see these silly/fun ideas and rather than just take them at face value, they want to figure out the science behind them when there is none. I mean people wanted so badly to understand what made someone force sensitive that eventually the EU writers threw in midichlorians which later became canon just to make it seem like force manipulation was actually genetic. For many people it ruined the mysticism of it and the fun of it all just fell to shit.

Anyway you wanna know how lightsabers work? really?

The force/a wizard/George Lucas did it

yoshiblue
Apr 18, 2013, 04:57 PM
This would be a good case of Our Photons Are Different. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlayingWithATrope)

Chik'Tikka
Apr 18, 2013, 04:59 PM
plasma funneled through the end, yet it doesn't damage the emitter or any components of the hilt at all yet they're easily cut through.

Like I said, it's all bullshit. That's the point. People see these silly/fun ideas and rather than just take them at face value, they want to figure out the science behind them when there is none. I mean people wanted so badly to understand what made someone force sensitive that eventually the EU writers threw in midichlorians which later became canon just to make it seem like force manipulation was actually genetic. For many people it ruined the mysticism of it and the fun of it all just fell to shit.

Anyway you wanna know how lightsabers work? really?

The force/a wizard/George Lucas did it

lolz, the emitter not being damaged is possible, we kinda already have that tech in the form of plasma torches+^_^+ and "real" light-sabers are sticks painted green+^_^+ also, with the help of building size equipment, people managed to use magnetic fields to make a 1" plasma window+^_^+
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_window

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 05:03 PM
lolz, the emitter not being damaged is possible, we kinda already have that tech in the form of plasma torches+^_^+ and "real" light-sabers are sticks painted green+^_^+ also, with the help of building size equipment, people managed to use magnetic fields to make a 1" plasma window+^_^+
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_window

that's different since plasma torches push out gas at speeds and pressures that prevent the flame from getting back to the tip. It's completely different with a weapon where the INSIDE OF THE WEAPON is where everything happens based on your explanation.

I'm not sure why you're bringing rotoscoping over a green screen into this, you may as well say lightsabers don't exist which was my entire point.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 18, 2013, 05:31 PM
how did this turn from a discussion of the cleft lip race into a photon talk?

Zyrusticae
Apr 18, 2013, 05:33 PM
I dnno, but I, for one, would really like the devs to tip back into the photon-heavy designs of previous PSO/PSU games rather than this half-and-half thing they've been doing lately.

Hence why the Brionac is my favorite partizan design in the game thus far, followed closely by the Gungnata.

(yes I am aware this is appallingly off-topic)

NoiseHERO
Apr 18, 2013, 05:41 PM
Needs more blade pop-out weapons.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 18, 2013, 05:48 PM
I dnno, but I, for one, would really like the devs to tip back into the photon-heavy designs of previous PSO/PSU games rather than this half-and-half thing they've been doing lately.

Hence why the Brionac is my favorite partizan design in the game thus far, followed closely by the Gungnata.

(yes I am aware this is appallingly off-topic)

I guess from a certain perspective they feel it's more limiting. Like...I know it's been done but maybe they feel like curved photon blades without something like a frame are too over the top?

~Aya~
Apr 18, 2013, 05:50 PM
Transform into a super saiyan.. newman onry.... gee hee..

ShinMaruku
Apr 18, 2013, 06:12 PM
how did this turn from a discussion of the cleft lip race into a photon talk?
Because foot dive.

ThePendragon
Apr 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
The correct answer for next race we should get in PSO2:

http://www.pscave.com/fanart/ps/nak/gryz1.jpg

Xaeris
Apr 18, 2013, 06:50 PM
Personally, I've always loved soft science fiction's attempts at pseudoscience. I find magic and made up technology much more interesting when they have to operate within confines that are at least internally consistent and can be followed and contemplated by the reader. It doesn't always end well, sure, but where it is done well, I've always found a greatly engaging story.

Anyway, I'd never seen the starting female beast outfit in Infinity until today. ...I want it. >.>

•Col•
Apr 18, 2013, 08:39 PM
You're talking about a series where one of the races looks exactly like elves but aren't elves.

That was my entire point. Newmans/Beasts are already pretty unoriginal. Having a race even LESS unoriginal than them is pretty inexcusable.

Nowadays Newmans only get a 'pass' anymore because of seniority rules. D:

What i said blew completely over your head you missed my point completely but Giga revised it for you. And also there were plenty of beast in that psp version of the infinity series from what I saw same can go for PSU. Anyway I've played and there was a equally amount of ppl of each race int he game so like I said fuck hating where is the equality?

Wat. I can't understand what you're trying to say.

Regardless, I'm not gonna bother responding to you again because you sound like an ignorant fanboy that won't have anything but their own way. :|

Zyrusticae
Apr 18, 2013, 08:42 PM
you sound like an ignorant fanboygirl
FTFY

(not that it makes a difference, just being an ass)

Alisha
Apr 18, 2013, 11:25 PM
i want to play as a lycan :(

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 01:00 AM
I look at this thread and remember Aisha Klan Klan... What have you done....

IsaacGravity
Apr 19, 2013, 01:03 AM
I look at this thread and remember Aisha Klan Klan... What have you done....

I'm down with the idea of playing as a legit Ctarl-Ctarl.

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 01:04 AM
That's what beasts were. And Laia Martinez. What a ratchet woman...

IsaacGravity
Apr 19, 2013, 01:10 AM
That's what beasts were. And Laia Martinez. What a ratchet woman...

Lacked tails, overall superior abilities (that was probably game mechanics talking), ability to chillax in lava and never threatened to eat another fleshie race. Also their literal beast forms were cooler.

Nit-picnicking but yeah. Also yes, Laia was awesome (though I more liked her more chill Portable 1 personality).

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 01:14 AM
Be pragmatic this is sega we are talking about. :P

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 19, 2013, 01:18 AM
Pragmatic means to prioritize utility.

Not sure what that has to do with sega.

IsaacGravity
Apr 19, 2013, 01:22 AM
^ It also means taking more practical/realistic approaches. But pragmatism in a video game about fantasy?

*Sighs* Fine, fine.

*mutters about Beast not being legit Ctarl-Ctarls and "pragmatism"*

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 01:23 AM
Never expect more than Sega will give. Take what you can get.
I say bring dewmans and beasts into this game I'll take what they get because there would be somebody playing something else than the three races we got.

IsaacGravity
Apr 19, 2013, 01:44 AM
Never expect more than Sega will give. Take what you can get.
I say bring dewmans and beasts into this game I'll take what they get because there would be somebody playing something else than the three races we got.

Hmm... Well put like THAT I guess its more the thought that counts. That would be be them (SEGA) being practical, even if all races were ultimately nothing special stat wise and were just "humans with certain facial quirks" since it would be them trying to reach many sides of the sphere.

Not exactly opening vast gameplay style possibilities, but practical and a fine gesture either way.

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 01:48 AM
True,true. Also they could use this to sell more costumes and stuff.

Rien
Apr 19, 2013, 03:49 AM
i just spent like 20 minutes searching youtube for a lady beast nanoblast..... like really... how could no one record that strut?? (even if they only walked all sexy with analog stick)+^_^+ all i could find was this laggy vid and the person doesn't do the sexy walk oonce..... well... imma have to boot up PSU now and make a fem beast in offline just for that+^_^+
Jamini Nanoblast - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLo1OGofcYg)

what sexy walk?

I thought everyone walked the same

Chik'Tikka
Apr 19, 2013, 04:49 AM
what sexy walk?

I thought everyone walked the same

girl beasts while nanoblasting into beast mode, if you walked slowly they would walk with one hand on the hip all sultry+^_^+

Darki
Apr 19, 2013, 07:03 AM
I don't think newmans are unoriginal. The problem is when we only get races that fit the same description. Having humans and "humans with long ears", or humans and "humans with furry ears", or humans and "humans with pale skin and an eyepatch" is fine. The problem is having all of them. It gets old.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be unoriginal if we had more options too. I don't care about having three possible human-like races if we also got something else other than CASTs. If beasts were implemented as full-fledged big mean furries, I'd be happy about having dumans even if they're just what they'll probably be. But the problem is that we suspect that SEGA is going to pull another SEGA on us and go the lazy way.

Zenobia
Apr 19, 2013, 07:16 AM
That was my entire point. Newmans/Beasts are already pretty unoriginal. Having a race even LESS unoriginal than them is pretty inexcusable.

Nowadays Newmans only get a 'pass' anymore because of seniority rules. D:

Wat. I can't understand what you're trying to say.

Regardless, I'm not gonna bother responding to you again because you sound like an ignorant fanboy that won't have anything but their own way. :|

So we result to childish ploy of saying Fanboy when we have nothing better to say? I will say it again it went way over your head and don't play the hypocritical role either this is the same person saying Beast are original and Dumen should get 100% of the hate. If you can't understand what I said then I feel sorry for you and I won't lower myself to your low class understanding or behavior simple. Let this be the last mix of words we throw at each other.

gigawuts
Apr 19, 2013, 07:51 AM
I think I'm the only person who doesn't have a problem with dewmans or beasts being more like alternate casts :/

Coatl
Apr 19, 2013, 10:13 AM
Just makes the human race seem really underpowered..

Darki
Apr 19, 2013, 10:36 AM
I think I'm the only person who doesn't have a problem with dewmans or beasts being more like alternate casts :/

But CASTs have unique looks. What's your point?

For me the best outcome would be pretty much the same concept: have beasts and dumans in a way that we had the possibility to choose between human-like or alternate form. Beasts could choose between furry ears only or werewolf shape (and they'd get theoir own unique outfits), dumans could go between eyepatched vampire to Falz Hunar/Dicahda/Gawonda darker look.

But why even discuss it. We know we're just going to get a selection of furry ears and eyepatches.

gigawuts
Apr 19, 2013, 10:40 AM
That was my point. I don't know how you missed it.

I don't have a problem with eyepatches.

We're talking about a game where nostalgia weapons are brought back as plain old skins with more damage without what actually made them good, and the only remotely unique abilities require multiple millions of meseta of investments - if you're good at rolling dice - for an 8-12% bonus to one PA.

If you're throwing a shitstorm over what might happen, as opposed to what has, well...

(And then when someone does throw a shitstorm about what has already happened in the game around here, someone shows up going "erderder u cent chanj it by postin heer u dum en playr dis gam nt mad 4 u loooooooooooooooooool")

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 10:52 AM
Just makes the human race seem really underpowered..

There are ways to address that. Since stats between racial are not overwhelming I say bring all the races.

Shambertin
Apr 19, 2013, 11:00 AM
Dumans in PSO2 DO WANT!!!

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 11:11 AM
I only want them in if all those tarted up outfits from psp2i come too.

Darki
Apr 19, 2013, 11:19 AM
(And then when someone does throw a shitstorm about what has already happened in the game around here, someone shows up going "erderder u cent chanj it by postin heer u dum en playr dis gam nt mad 4 u loooooooooooooooooool")

Good one, lol.

Coatl
Apr 19, 2013, 11:45 AM
There are ways to address that. Since stats between racial are not overwhelming I say bring all the races.

Yeah the stats are not overwhelming, but if you can already make a cast and a newman look like a human but with the better stats to go with them, why even pick human?

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 12:24 PM
Well in the case of newmans they are humans modified but human all the same. As for Casts well that's the person's idea that they want something to look human but with better stats. Which makes dewmans even better because they too are human. Funky humans but still.

gigawuts
Apr 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
humans: human
newmans: genetically engineered humans, just pointy ears, no rage
beasts: genetically engineered humans, furries, no rage
dumans: mutated humans, grey skin, rage

???????????????????????????????????

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 12:43 PM
Blame sega not me.
Oh and Casts: Robits

gigawuts
Apr 19, 2013, 12:59 PM
I'm blaming you guys for either being nostalgic (lol), hypocrites, or idiots.

You rage over one slightly modified human but completely dismiss other blatant slightly modified humans.

ShinMaruku
Apr 19, 2013, 01:14 PM
I'm for all of them if only for comedy of reactions.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 22, 2013, 03:03 PM
Honestly, I really don't care about how the stats stack up against other races, nor even if they have access to Nanoblast or not; I'm just talking visuals. I would probably play a Duman if offered, if only because I tend to make my characters fairly light-skinned anyways, but the Beasts in PSP2 just looked awesome, if only because of their "muscle-suits".

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 03:15 PM
Honestly, I really don't care about how the stats stack up against other races, nor even if they have access to Nanoblast or not; I'm just talking visuals. I would probably play a Duman if offered, if only because I tend to make my characters fairly light-skinned anyways, but the Beasts in PSP2 just looked awesome, if only because of their "muscle-suits".

You realize that the old skin color slider doesn't exist anymore right? you can make orange purple and green people now. you could make a duman that was solid black if you wanted to. with all the customization options, the only defining characteristics are clothing options and stats. That's why wanting more races is just goofy.

Daemon Gildas
Apr 22, 2013, 03:41 PM
You realize that the old skin color slider doesn't exist anymore right? you can make orange purple and green people now. you could make a duman that was solid black if you wanted to. with all the customization options, the only defining characteristics are clothing options and stats. That's why wanting more races is just goofy.

Perhaps. The Beasts in PSP2, in addition to their "muscle-suits", also had some unique Hair and Beard styles, if I remember correctly? That's more the stuff that I care about.

Much as I love the Phantasy Star universe, I would personally rather play a more muscular guy, if given the option. I suppose that doesn't *have* to fall under a new Race classification, it just seems more likely. Also, I like having access to more facial-hair styles (which a full-beard will be just fine, I just personally lean more towards a neat, chin-only goatee).

It's not a big deal, by any means; just preference :D

Dongra
Apr 22, 2013, 05:20 PM
Adding more races and classes, yet Sega still can't balance what they already have. This isn't going to get any better.

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 05:31 PM
Adding more races and classes, yet Sega still can't balance what they already have. This isn't going to get any better.

This is actually a point. Casts are way, way, way too weak at FOing right now, mainly because of their tdef penalty. The tatk penalty I get, and it isn't overly harsh (it is actually when compared to what newearls get, but I'll disregard that for the time being), but the tdef penalty on top of that is excessive. Newearls and newmans can equip tdef units with base stats, but if casts want to do that they need to invest points in either their mag or their skilltree, neither option being very good and usually reducing offense in the process. One answer is to sub FO and main FI or TE, but that further limits offense and requires an allclass teching weapon which itself will have limited offense PLUS cost more.

People can try and say casts shouldn't FO and they're the best melee race and bla bla bla, but they're really not that much better at melee than anything else - casts do not have as much of a melee advantage as newmans have a tech advantage, and newmans are not as penalized for melee as casts are for techs.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
All that is true, but I think Sega's counterpoint was that casts are not just the best at melee but also the best at ranged. It's not by much but male casts are also better rangers than female humans. I think if they're going to penalize casts so heavily on techs they should give them a bigger boost on those other stats. Give male casts the same r def as female humans if not better, better S def than male humans and so something similar for female casts while giving them another bump in R and S atk. Not much, just enough to drive home the fact that they're intended to be the best in everything but tech stuff and that newmans are supposed to be really only good at one thing while humans are supposed to be able to do just fine anywhere but never excell.

Laxedrane
Apr 22, 2013, 06:57 PM
This is actually a point. Casts are way, way, way too weak at FOing right now, mainly because of their tdef penalty. The tatk penalty I get, and it isn't overly harsh (it is actually when compared to what newearls get, but I'll disregard that for the time being), but the tdef penalty on top of that is excessive. Newearls and newmans can equip tdef units with base stats, but if casts want to do that they need to invest points in either their mag or their skilltree, neither option being very good and usually reducing offense in the process. One answer is to sub FO and main FI or TE, but that further limits offense and requires an allclass teching weapon which itself will have limited offense PLUS cost more.

People can try and say casts shouldn't FO and they're the best melee race and bla bla bla, but they're really not that much better at melee than anything else - casts do not have as much of a melee advantage as newmans have a tech advantage, and newmans are not as penalized for melee as casts are for techs.

Then play as a TE main and use S defense instead of T defense units?(I am a TE main but I use S defense units primarely.):-?

Plus there isn't all that excited T defense units out there anyways.

Bellion
Apr 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
Playing as a TE main means access to only all class rods. You're missing out on 160 T-atk if we're comparing Umbra Stick to Rubiascient at +10 and assuming same affixes on both. Wands casting slower hurts as well.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 07:20 PM
Right, going techer instead of force is actually gimping yourself further.

xBladeM6x
Apr 22, 2013, 07:34 PM
There's always a possibility. I hope they do return.

Beasts shall reign supreme, again!

... until CASTS are given something like Paradi.

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 07:49 PM
Then play as a TE main and use S defense instead of T defense units?(I am a TE main but I use S defense units primarely.):-?

Plus there isn't all that excited T defense units out there anyways.

Uh, I covered that.

Alisha
Apr 22, 2013, 07:54 PM

i dont like this idea at all. i liked the situation in psp2i where everyone but dewman was the best in a stat.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
...What idea?

Alisha
Apr 22, 2013, 07:59 PM
i quoted the wrong post i meant your ideas on cast stats

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 08:04 PM
Well, the whole thing with races here is kind of a flaw.

What made racial differences work in PSO1 was that races were classes. A HUcast was COMPLETELY different from a HUnewearl, and that was COPMLETELY different from a HUmar. And that was great! While a HUnewearl didn't pack the ATP punch that a HUcast did, it DID have a better ability to augment its damage with techs, buffs, and debuffs. HUcasts were best in regular runs, weakest in bosses, and best when supported. HUmars were halfway between.

But now? That's all determined by main and subclass (and not very well due to huge variances in skill multipliers, but that's off topic).

Now races are pretty much just cosmetic, with token stat differences that wound up pretty imbalanced. I really feel like the stat differences need to be eliminated completely, or maybe just give a bonus to experience gained when playing certain classes. Something that matters in the short term, but not the long term.

Or, my favorite idea, bring back traps and techs as another option we can select separately from sub & main class, and give casts bonuses to trap capacity and newearls a bonus to techs when not maining or subbing FO or TE.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
When you think about it, that's more or less what we're getting. The biggest downside to playing casts when teching is the lack of good equipment. That just means you have to wait for another level cap bump or two. That's really not a long term effect though, you know?

i quoted the wrong post i meant your ideas on cast stats

Right, I'm not having this argument with someone who says "it's good so I'm not using it".

Alisha
Apr 22, 2013, 09:09 PM
When you think about it, that's more or less what we're getting. The biggest downside to playing casts when teching is the lack of good equipment. That just means you have to wait for another level cap bump or two. That's really not a long term effect though, you know?

Right, I'm not having this argument with someone who says "it's good so I'm not using it".

either you are a troll or a fool for not understanding why i would do that. not all of us can be satisfied by the path of least resistance. is that so hard to comprehend?

3rdRank
Apr 22, 2013, 09:17 PM
i dont think they will be bringing them up if at all bc of the pso storyline but the random code is most lekely for the accesorey that you can put on

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 09:25 PM
either you are a troll or a fool for not understanding why i would do that. not all of us can be satisfied by the path of least resistance. is that so hard to comprehend?

You heard it here first folks. "People who prefer efficiency over dragging their feet are fools."

Skyly HUmar
Apr 22, 2013, 10:15 PM
i dont think they will be bringing them up if at all bc of the pso storyline but the random code is most lekely for the accesorey that you can put on

I legitly dont think pso2 is a part of pso at all, it is its own thing like psu.

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 PM
I legitly dont think pso2 is a part of pso at all, it is its own thing like psu.

Unless they've reneged on it, devs have said PSO2 is in the same universe as PSO1, except a couple hundred years later.

For the sake of what comes in the future this is pretty much meaningless and only a trivial detail to be used to correct people on forums.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 22, 2013, 10:26 PM
Unless they've reneged on it, devs have said PSO2 is in the same universe as PSO1, except a couple hundred years later.

For the sake of what comes in the future this is pretty much meaningless and only a trivial detail to be used to correct people on forums.

Ah didnt know that. I just assumed it wasnt because the style is so... psu, even the story so far doesnt match up at all with PSO at all as far as i can tell.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
well as I understand it the flotilla or whatever you want to call the arks fleet is supposed to be a part of that same pioneer project. But since it IS PSO and not PSU, neither beasts nor dumans make sense here.

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
Neither did space elves. They were relatively recent developments.

They can do whatever the fuck they want for whatever reason they want and it'll be canon. Why?

It's their IP.

See: Midichlorians.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 10:40 PM
well newmans have been around since at least PS2. maybe not as they are now, but they're a legacy race.

Alisha
Apr 22, 2013, 10:41 PM
space elves have existed since ps2. moon elves on the other hand

Skyly HUmar
Apr 22, 2013, 11:12 PM
Wasnt there an ending to PS3 that lead to them landing on earth and then that went to psz then pso? But if i remember right, psz took place a couple hundred years before pso and newmans existed before even mother trinity started mass producing them.

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 11:14 PM
And what influence does this have on newmans being recent scientific developments in the PSO universe? None. Sega can do whatever they want.

They have absolutely zero need for any history or basis to write in whatever they want.

I'm really not sure why some fans have a problem with this concept. People argue in every kind of fanbase that the creators can't do something because that's not how it is.

It's their intellectual property. They make the rules. They say what's what. For IPs that have sold out, like PS has (like most almost all have because they're meant to make money), something like this is a business decision. People want dumans? They'll add dumans. People want beasts? They'll add beasts.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 11:15 PM
You know, I really don't know. I never finished PS3. I just know Nei and Rika (AKA elves in leotards and gogo boots).

And what influence does this have on newmans being recent scientific developments in the PSO universe? None. Sega can do whatever they want.

They have absolutely zero need for any history or basis to write in whatever they want.

I'm really not sure why some fans have a problem with this concept. People argue in every kind of fanbase that the creators can't do something because that's not how it is.

It's their intellectual property. They make the rules. They say what's what. For IPs that have sold out, like PS has (like most almost all have because they're meant to make money), something like this is a business decision. People want dumans? They'll add dumans. People want beasts? They'll add beasts.

Neither did space elves. They were relatively recent developments.

They can do whatever the fuck they want for whatever reason they want and it'll be canon. Why?

It's their IP.

See: Midichlorians.

...I'm not sure if you're just being difficult or what. Of course sega can do whatever they want. All we're saying is story wise, newmans are valid and existed pretty much since the beginning. YOU were the one who said they were a new race. o_O We corrected you. That's it

Chik'Tikka
Apr 22, 2013, 11:17 PM
*still waiting on onset of space vampire pirates vs ewookie-dog-people war, perhaps with a a lovely newearl caught in a love triangle between a beast and a duman*
+^_^+

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 11:22 PM
That sounds really dirty

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 11:29 PM
You know, I really don't know. I never finished PS3. I just know Nei and Rika (AKA elves in leotards and gogo boots).

...I'm not sure if you're just being difficult or what. Of course sega can do whatever they want. All we're saying is story wise, newmans are valid and existed pretty much since the beginning. YOU were the one who said they were a new race. o_O We corrected you. That's it

Unless one of the PS theorycrafters around here was bullshitting in their enormous theory posts a ways back and my memory is faulty on top of that, newmans were recently genetically engineered in the PSO1 story. They were also recently genetically engineered in PSZ, before the great blank.

They'd been created on numerous separate occasions throughout the history of the franchise.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 11:48 PM
Seeing as Nei was a newman and existed in PS2 and Rika was a Newman that existed in PS4....

...yeah

Thing is back then newmans weren't a race of people that were wandering around freely. Back then, there were more or less one of a kind genetically engineered beings, so the idea of them being about as common as humans is a newer concept. But newmans themselves are in no way new to the series unless you consider almost 25 years and 10+ games ago new.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 22, 2013, 11:49 PM
Unless one of the PS theorycrafters around here was bullshitting in their enormous theory posts a ways back and my memory is faulty on top of that, newmans were recently genetically engineered in the PSO1 story. They were also recently genetically engineered in PSZ, before the great blank.

They'd been created on numerous separate occasions throughout the history of the franchise.

Yeah thats not it, psz is part of pso since in one of the side stories of psz they said their ancesters called the earth "coral" which as we know is the homeworld in pso1. so in the pso1 universe newmans were made before the great blank and they stayed with us thousands of years later.

Oh i should mention, ps3 was 1000 years after ps4, so if my memory is right and one (possibly 2) of the ps3 endings go into pso, newmens have been arround for a while.

gigawuts
Apr 22, 2013, 11:51 PM
...But I'm not talking about 25 years of game history.

I'm talking about Sega pulling shit out of its ass and fans not being allowed to argue with them about how the story goes because they make the rules.

edit:
Yeah thats not it, psz is part of pso since in one of the side stories of psz they said their ancesters called the earth "coral" which as we know is the homeworld in pso1. so in the pso1 universe newmans were made before the great blank and they stayed with us thousands of years later.

There are a number of theories on all this, but yes, I covered that - they were made before the great blank. One thought is the great blank is why the pioneers left. Another is the earth described here is the one from the end of that other game, which would mean it isn't the same coral, and--

Really, it doesn't matter. Because, you know, "Whateva, I do what I want."

Skyly HUmar
Apr 22, 2013, 11:55 PM
...But I'm not talking about 25 years of game history.

I'm talking about Sega pulling shit out of its ass and fans not being allowed to argue with them about how the story goes because they make the rules.

Im not either. Im saying lore wise like in game story, psz connects to pso, that much is 100% true, psz is a couple hundred years before pso, pso2 is a couple hundred years after pso1, therefore in the whole big storyline, newmens were created a long a$$ time ago, not recently.\

And we can conclude that the great blank wasnt the reason why the pioneer project started. In episode 3 when you speak to ino'lis your character (or at least this is assumed) asks her about her clothing, she replies that its the latest style from coral, so we have to assume that there is still activity on coral regarding an economy, so all that with mother trinity is long past.

Darki
Apr 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
It strikes me as something very funny that people try to use te "story" as an argument. Each game has its own story. In PSU for example, we don't even know if beasts are even older than newmans since all three races were engineered by humans in "the past" over 500 years before the events of the game.

in PSO they had been a new breed considered unstable with a very variable lifespan. In PSO2 we don't even know where they come from yet. Beasts could very well be fashoned as a native creature of a new planet that has existed since before newmans in that game (just living their lifes in their world).

Also, if you wanna take the classic saga into account, I don't think you'd find too many arguments there to back that "story-wise"argument. In the classic saga there weren't newmans, there were "numans", which were a different concept in which newmans were based. If that works for you then we could argue that "beasts" have been in the saga as long as newmans in the forms of motavians.

There's no argument based on th story that goes against the inclusion of any new race even if they're from PSU into PSO2. We're talking about a fictional story here, not about real history. Thay can make up shit as they please, they could even make this version making more sense than in previous games.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
Im not either. Im saying lore wise like in game story, psz connects to pso, that much is 100% true, psz is a couple hundred years before pso, pso2 is a couple hundred years after pso1, therefore in the whole big storyline, newmens were created a long a$$ time ago, not recently.

This is more or less what I was trying to say.

It strikes me as something very funny that people try to use te "story" as an argument. Each game has its own story. In PSU for example, we don't even know if beasts are even older than newmans since all three races were engineered by humans in "the past" over 500 years before the events of the game.

in PSO they had been a new breed considered unstable with a very variable lifespan. In PSO2 we don't even know where they come from yet. Beasts could very well be fashoned as a native creature of a new planet that has existed since before newmans in that game (just living their lifes in their world).

Also, if you wanna take the classic saga into account, I don't think you'd find too many arguments there to back that "story-wise"argument. In the classic saga there weren't newmans, there were "numans", which were a different concept in which newmans were based. If that works for you then we could argue that "beasts" have been in the saga as long as newmans in the forms of motavians.

There's no argument based on th story that goes against the inclusion of any new race even if they're from PSU into PSO2. We're talking about a fictional story here, not about real history. Thay can make up shit as they please, they could even make this version making more sense than in previous games.

wut? You want to explain why a whole race of people are there that never existed before? at the end of the day sega can do whatever the hell they want but that doesn't mean it's not bullshit. To say the story is a bad excuse is a sad rationalization to validate something you know to be stupid just so you don't feel like a jackass when you reroll.

PSU btw? Nothing to do with PSO until those idiots decided to link them in PSP2i. It's one thing to have a new game say it's at an unestablished point in time but that it has years upon years of history where these creatures existed. It's another to say "ok so 6 months after the events of the last game, an entire race of people grew out of our assholes and lived full lives with no social, economic repercussions or political backlash.

Xaeris
Apr 22, 2013, 11:59 PM

Minor nitpick: newmen as a race were definitely created before beasts in PSU. I distinctly remember that from doing research for a fanfic and coming across a (sparse) timeline of the Gurhal system.

Darki
Apr 23, 2013, 12:00 AM
Im not either. Im saying lore wise like in game story, psz connects to pso, that much is 100% true, psz is a couple hundred years before pso, pso2 is a couple hundred years after pso1, therefore in the whole big storyline, newmens were created a long a$$ time ago, not recently.\

Where exactly is referenced the connection between PSO and PSO2?

Minor nitpick: newmen as a race were definitely created before beasts in PSU. I distinctly remember that from doing research for a fanfic and coming across a (sparse) timeline of the Gurhal system.

In any case, my point is that both races in that game are already old.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:00 AM

Ehh psu was the black sheep in the series with ps3 lol, it was its own thing and thats one of the reasons it was shit. And were just having a friendly discussion, people throw arround the word "argue" too much round these here parts. but its psow so troll till your heart stops.

Where exactly is referenced the connection between PSO and PSO2?

Ask giga, till a few hours ago i thought pso2 was its own thing like psu.

And what the hell is a numan lol, its always been newman, that was just a translation error like "dark falz" we all know it was "dark force" but it stuck and they rolled with it like newman.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 12:01 AM
Im not either. Im saying lore wise like in game story, psz connects to pso, that much is 100% true, psz is a couple hundred years before pso, pso2 is a couple hundred years after pso1, therefore in the whole big storyline, newmens were created a long a$$ time ago, not recently.

edit:

There are a number of theories on all this, but yes, I covered that - they were made before the great blank. One thought is the great blank is why the pioneers left. Another is the earth described here is the one from the end of that other game, which would mean it isn't the same coral, and--

Really, it doesn't matter. Because, you know, "Whateva, I do what I want."

That is why I said recently in PSO1.

This has to be the dumbest argument I have ever participated in.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:03 AM
That is why I said recently in PSO1.

This has to be the dumbest argument I have ever participated in.

i replied to your edit with my own take a look back a page, too lazy to rewrite.

Darki
Apr 23, 2013, 12:03 AM
Ehh psu was the black sheep in the series with ps3 lol, it was its own thing and thats one of the reasons it was shit. And were just having a friendly discussion, people throw arround the word "argue" too much round these here parts. but its psow so troll till your heart stops.

I'm not trying to troll anybody. I'm just discussint this stuff as well.

The fact that you or some people consider PSU the black sheep doesn't mean that SEGA has to forget any of its influence oe storyline. The game came with great concepts and many innovations that to my eyes made it much more enjoyable than PSO.

The thing is that arguing that it doesn't make sense to include beasts "story wise" is silly, because the story is something SEGA is creating as they make the game.

Ask giga, till a few hours ago i thought pso2 was its own thing like psu.

And what the hell is a numan lol, its always been newman, that was just a translation error like "dark falz" we all know it was "dark force" but it stuck and they rolled with it like newman.

The point is that old "numans" or newmans from the classic series weren't even similar to PSO newmans, at least concept wise. if they work for you "story-wise" I could then say that beasts are the natural development of the motavians, story-wise. There you go, beast-like characters that are as old as newmans.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:06 AM

The fact that you or some people consider PSU the black sheep doesn't mean that SEGA has to forget any of its influence oe storyline. The game came with great concepts and many innovations that to my eyes made it much more enjoyable than PSO.

The thing is that arguing that it doesn't make sense to include beasts "story wise" is silly, because the story is something SEGA is creating as they make the game.

Ill agree there, psu wasnt a total wreck and it had some neat ideas. And ill also agree that since sega is creating the game still they can make whatever they want. Im just trying to explain how if you played psz-pso and if pso is really connected to pso2, newmans are not a new concept story wise at all.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 12:08 AM
Ill agree there, psu wasnt a total wreck and it had some neat ideas. And ill also agree that since sega is creating the game still they can make whatever they want. Im just trying to explain how if you played psz-pso and if pso is really connected to pso2, newmans are not a new concept story wise at all.

Was anyone saying newmans were a new development for PSO2?

I distinctly remember dialogue regarding newmans being recent creations in PSO1's side stories. You can say they retconned it, sure, but I'll take each game as it comes in the order in which it comes.

All of this is WAY off the point I was originally making - they can write whatever they want however they want and the franchise's story history has absolutely ZERO bearing on what they can do in the future.

Skyly HUmar
thats also true they were completely different, but then just to sve some finger energy and avoid another twist, lets say newmans in psz are the same we have now, then *too lazy to repeat point*

Darki
^that might be, but I'm just saying that SEGA could pull up their asses that beasts were in fact even more ancient than that.

Imagine that they reveal now that PSU is in fact connected to the PSO series and just happened thousands of years before. If beasts came from then they'd be older than PSO's newmans, for example. They can do whatever they want, arguing what makes sense or not in terms of story is futile. If you don't like beasts, then that's fine, but looking for a justification for that dislike in the game storylines makes no sense.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 12:10 AM

The point is that ols "numans" or newmans from the classic series weren't even similar to PSO newmans, at least concept wise. if they work for you "story-wise" I could then say that beasts are the natural development of the motavians, story-wise. There you go, beast-like characters that are as old as newmans.

Really? Motavians have been on pioneer this whole time and no one knew? not even a hint at giant blue hairy wookie like creatures with beaks?

PSO's newmans vs PS' newmans...really how different were they and how hard is it to say "well it would be messed up if newmans were the best melee and best tech users in the game."

It's just as stupid to say the story is irrelevant if not more so seeing as the story and the structure of the games was something people have been attributing to the success of the series. you want ot throw the whole story out? That's what it sounds like you're saying.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 12:11 AM
I don't know much about the original PS newmans, but from what I hear they were basically dewmans with their offensive abilities and such, and I find that highly entertaining.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:12 AM
Was anyone saying newmans were a new development for PSO2?

I distinctly remember dialogue regarding newmans being recent creations in PSO1's side stories. You can say they retconned it, sure, but I'll take each game as it comes in the order in which it comes.

All of this is WAY off the point I was originally making - they can write whatever they want however they want and the franchise's story history has absolutely ZERO bearing on what they can do in the future.

All i remember was sue telling you newmans only lived short lives and they recently invented meds to keep them looking young. But its been years ill admit, if it is what you say i guess youre right then. If sega made a prequel to pso with newmans in it i guess they can just come up with whatever.

Darki
Apr 23, 2013, 12:14 AM
Really? Motavians have been on pioneer this whole time and no one knew? not even a hint at giant blue hairy wookie like creatures with beaks?

PSO's newmans vs PS' newmans...really how different were they and how hard is it to say "well it would be messed up if newmans were the best melee and best tech users in the game."

Do you know of the concept of, things like "planets" that the game is based on? Like, big balls of rock where motavians could have been living without needing to be part of the Pioneers? Yeah I know it's hard to believe. <_<

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 12:15 AM

It's just as stupid to say the story is irrelevant if not more so seeing as the story and the structure of the games was something people have been attributing to the success of the series. you want ot throw the whole story out? That's what it sounds like you're saying.

Uh, no, nobody is saying that.

We're saying gameplay and game design supercede game lore.

No good game dev will ever say "oh, man, that's an awesome idea and would be super fun, but we can't work it in because a game from ten years ago had this in the story..."

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 12:15 AM
I don't know much about the original PS newmans, but from what I hear they were basically dewmans with their offensive abilities and such, and I find that highly entertaining.

yeah newmans back in the day were really OP

Alisha
Apr 23, 2013, 12:17 AM
i dont think its ever been stated that newmans were a new creation in pso. but they were flawed as they had short lifespans.

Wasnt there an ending to PS3 that lead to them landing on earth and then that went to psz then pso? But if i remember right, psz took place a couple hundred years before pso and newmans existed before even mother trinity started mass producing them.
http://youtu.be/ssj-tmyC16o
from what little i know about psz it seems like it would make a lot more sense if psz is after pso due to events that occur in episode 3.
the encounter with leukon knight
ragol declares independence from the home planet
pioneer 2 lands on ragol finally

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 12:18 AM
Do you know of the concept of, things like "planets" that the game is based on? Like, big balls of rock where motavians could have been living without needing to be part of the Pioneers? Yeah I know it's hard to believe. <_<

I don't know if you recall but space travel was kind of a big deal in those games. You also can't call a motavian a motavian if it's not from...well...motavia.

Uh, no, nobody is saying that.

We're saying gameplay and game design supercede game lore.

No good game dev will ever say "oh, man, that's an awesome idea and would be super fun, but we can't work it in because a game from ten years ago had this in the story..."

So you think a 4th race that does nothing for the game is an awesome idea that needs to be worked in?

Darki
I'm not saying that story is irrelevant, but the thing is that they can "create" whatever story they want if that suits their plans for the game. Nobody except a nostalgia retard would say that beasts can't be in the game because they weren't in the previous one. The thing is that we're playing a new story, that might have its roots in the old, but has new developments. Such new developments could be the arrival of beasts to Oracle.

And that would make as much sense as any other idea.

Skyly HUmar
yeah newmans back in the day were really OP

Well in all fairness Rolf and Chaz were stronger, hell, you could play as Eusis and go through the game (that was meant to be played through with 4 characters) solo. But yea back in the day newmens were a mix of the HUcaseal and FOnewearl in terms of melee power/speed/tech potency.

and uh...

And we can conclude that the great blank wasnt the reason why the pioneer project started. In episode 3 when you speak to ino'lis your character (or at least this is assumed) asks her about her clothing, she replies that its the latest style from coral, so we have to assume that there is still activity on coral regarding an economy, so all that with mother trinity is long past.

This lol i feel the need to bring this back up just cuz.

Darki
Apr 23, 2013, 12:19 AM
I don't know if you recall but space travel was kind of a big deal in those games. You also can't call a motavian a motavian if it's not from...well...motavia.

You're discussing semantics here. If they add a furry race with top strenght stats for me that will be a concept based on motavians and beasts regardless of their name or origin. I'm just saying that is possible. You don't have any argument against that.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 12:20 AM
So you think a 4th race that does nothing for the game is an awesome idea that needs to be worked in?

And that kind of argument is a showstopper for me right there. Gonna just bust out the logic 101 book and pick the first thing it tells you not to do? G'night.

Darki
Apr 23, 2013, 12:20 AM

Because they can't really make then "do something" for the game, of course.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:21 AM
i dont think its ever been stated that newmans were a new creation in pso. but they were flawed as they had short lifespans.

http://youtu.be/ssj-tmyC16o
from what little i know about psz it seems like it would make a lot more sense if psz is after pso due to events that occur in episode 3.
the encounter with leukon knight
ragol declares independence from the home planet
pioneer 2 lands on ragol finally

the world in psz was the one the pioneer project was fleeing from, and its stated in the opening of pso that they were fleeing because their home world wold eventually be destroyed. So thats doubtful.

Well actually that message in psz sais that their ancestors called their earth "coral" So if pso was before psz we can assume the pioneer project was indeed because of the war with mother trinity, and that would make sense, but im sure my idea there is full of holes.

and YES Crys' ending was where they landed on the 3rd planet "UUUUURF" so either or.

And hopefuly this is the last edit, but in psz photon weapons were just recently developed on earth so thats one hole in my psz after pso theory.

Alisha
Apr 23, 2013, 12:35 AM
the world in psz was the one the pioneer project was fleeing from, and its stated in the opening of pso that they were fleeing because their home world wold eventually be destroyed. So thats doubtful.

Well actually that message in psz sais that their ancestors called their earth "coral" So if pso was before psz we can assume the pioneer project was indeed because of the war with mother trinity, and that would make sense, but im sure my idea there is full of holes.

and YES Crys' ending was where they landed on the 3rd planet "UUUUURF" so either or.

And hopefuly this is the last edit, but in psz photon weapons were just recently developed on earth so thats one hole in my psz after pso theory.

not if they were reverse engineered. remember falz always revives so its possible that a civillization started after pioneer2 landed was destroyed.

Mike
Apr 23, 2013, 12:37 AM
I'd enjoy seeing a link to that. As far as I know, there's been no direct connections between PSO and PSO2 outside of name.

[spoiler-box]As for the Zero-Online hubub, I've found Sinue has the best idea.

Well, basically PSZero is the storyline of what happened to Coral, the homeworld which Pioneer 1, 2, & 3 escaped from. Coral was over-populated and had multiple warring nations fighting over the depleting resources until it was thought that the planet would be unsustainable for much longer. This prompted, or at least was the cover, for the Pioneer projects which were to search for a new home. The pioneer project had a dual purpose though. A meteor had hit the planet some time before PSO, and it carried D-Cellular material which the military found promise in as a bioweapon. Tracing the trajectory of the meteor back, they found Ragol, and created the Pioneer Project as a means of immigrating thousands of scientists and military personnel (pioneer 1) to secure the source of these D-Cells and use them to produce bioweapons.

There was also another project, the Mother Project, which was put into motion. The Mother Project was an attempt at fusing a supercomputer with organics in order to create a controllable supervisory AI and potential weapon. Using the D-Cells which landed on the Meteor, they created Mother Trinity in an attempt to bring the warring factions under control and stabilize the environment. On Ragol, there were three potential AI cores which were being "groomed" to be Ragol's Mother. Calus, Vol Opt, and Olga.

Dark Falz corrupted Vol Opt, and nearly corrupted Calus as well (until you rescue him with the help of Elly). Olga was moved from the Mines to the Seabed plant and fused with a wounded Heithcliff Flowen who had been infected with D-Cells during his battle with Dark Falz, in the hopes of speeding up the Mother transformation. This resulted in Olga Flow. On Coral, Mother Trinity was corrupted by her own D-Cellular core (D-Cells are an extension of Dark Falz's power) and twisted in her logic. As the people of Coral were not heeding her advise, as a last option she elected to commit genocide in order to "thin the herd" to sustainable levels until such a time that the environment recovered.

The only loose thread is Calus, who entered the incubation chamber at the end of the "Two Towers" quest which would turn him into an organic supercomputer. We don't know what happened to him after that. Mother Trinity's destruction of Coral may help explain why Pioneer 2 never returned to Coral, because while they were short on resources after their exodus into space and they had no home left to return to. Even if the people didn't know that, the military (who pulled the Principle's strings), would have. Thus, Pioneer 2 is stuck in orbit for years, leading to resource shortages so severe it prompted a small "genocide" of Casts and Newman so that the human population could survive. Eventually, a separatist faction known as the Arkz would illegally escape to the surface and form a rebellion against the Pioneer 2 government. At the end of Episode III, and the defeat of the "Germ" (another form of Dark Falz), Pioneer 2 finally landed on Ragol.

Phantasy Star Zero starts about two hundred years after these events, on the planet Coral, and tells the story of Humanities re-emergence and reclamation of Coral after the destruction which Mother Trinity rained down began to subside. The main quest doesn't give many of the historical details, but the after-game quest "Mother's Memory" involves securing data terminals which detail the events leading up to Mother Trinity's genocide. Without doing this quest, you're missing the largest bulk of the significance that PSZero plays in supplementing PSO's storyline.

Sorry if that was a bit long.[/spoiler-box]

But yeah, I don't expect Sega to care much for an overlapping story much more than they did in PSU.

Skyly HUmar
Apr 23, 2013, 12:46 AM
well, theres a good way to explain it lol, guess i was wrong on that one.

ShinMaruku
Apr 23, 2013, 12:59 AM
Newmans were either soldiers or for breeding. Rika/Fal was made in ps4 specifically to breed more adaptable humans on the planet. Which is why Chaz knocked her up ASAP.

Alisha
Apr 23, 2013, 01:20 AM
that is rather interesting but the leukon knight thing still perplexes me.

anyways that has interesting implications for the psp2/i story

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 01:22 AM
...that's not what he knocked her up.

untrustful
Apr 23, 2013, 01:57 AM
that is rather interesting but the leukon knight thing still perplexes me.

anyways that has interesting implications for the psp2/i story

What leukon knight thing? You mean that episode 3 boss has lore relevance?

Laxedrane
Apr 23, 2013, 10:57 AM
I am still convinced that Naberius is Coral. Since the ruins there are very similar to two areas in PS zero. And we have at least one mob that references a mob from that game(Gorozans, spinny thingers.)

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 12:25 PM
You mean Gorongo?

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 12:55 PM
I am still convinced that Naberius is Coral. Since the ruins there are very similar to two areas in PS zero. And we have at least one mob that references a mob from that game(Gorozans, spinny thingers.)

Does this mean coral and naberius are also ragol because rappies, everything in mines, etc?

Are all of those planets also gurhal because monkeys?

Or does Sega, like every other game company ever, recycle ideas?

Alisha
Apr 23, 2013, 01:43 PM
i think its possible the ancients in psu/p2/i lore are in fact coralians that fled during the genocide mentioned in psz.

Darki
Apr 23, 2013, 01:59 PM
coralians

You mean these?

http://animestocks.com/gallery_files/images/Eureka%20Seven/Coralian/coralian_00.jpg

Off-topic but couldn't help it, lol.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 23, 2013, 02:06 PM
I just figured he was talking about Han Solo and couldn't spell.

Laxedrane
Apr 23, 2013, 03:39 PM
Does this mean coral and naberius are also ragol because rappies, everything in mines, etc?

Are all of those planets also gurhal because monkeys?

Or does Sega, like every other game company ever, recycle ideas?

every incarnation of rappy we've seen so far as had it's name in it distinguishing that it was a rappy from another planet. Monkies are monkies there isn't anything aesthetically unique about them that jumps out at me. To say that there are parallels.

And if your referring the 2nd area of Lilapa. Only the player-base refers to that area as mines. They are officially called tunnels.

There will always be recycling yes, however I chosen to believe those are more significant. So long as I know that it's only conjecture I don't see the harm in it.

Also if tower does take place in that giant tree(Which I have taken a guess that, with running with that theory, it's a corrupted pillar of light that those flowers and other odd fauna are feeding off of.) It will be yet another parallel that the tower takes place there and there was a tower in zero that this tower seems to be based off of.

And yes I know there was "Towers" in episode 2. I don't believe with enough conviction that what I think can't be wrong. It's just a theory I came up with.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 03:41 PM
Literally every enemy added with mines was based DIRECTLY on PSO1's mines enemies. Every. Single. Enemy.

And in a much more significant way than being a big pillbug.

NoiseHERO
Apr 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
You mean these?

http://animestocks.com/gallery_files/images/Eureka%20Seven/Coralian/coralian_00.jpg

Off-topic but couldn't help it, lol.

Those are the aliens from Sonic COLORS

Darki
Apr 23, 2013, 05:12 PM
Those are the aliens from Sonic COLORS

Well, those in particular are from Eureka Seven.

Noblewine
Apr 23, 2013, 06:32 PM

If Dewmans and Beasts are brought back into the game they need to be rebalanced. Beast were pretty powerful in PSU because of their Nanoblast and Dewmans had that skill that overpowered enemies. I don't know how dewmans really worked since I only watched a few gameplay videos on their racial ability. Plus, I thought sega wanted to keep the timeline away from PSU but, of course, stuff from psu and the later gamse (PSP1, PSP2 and PSZ) are making cameos in PS02.

Laxedrane
Apr 23, 2013, 07:00 PM
Literally every enemy added with mines was based DIRECTLY on PSO1's mines enemies. Every. Single. Enemy.

And in a much more significant way than being a big pillbug.

I can see signo beat and those floating guys. And maybe at a stretch Gilnach(Is that the healing bot?) with their slinky movement and melee attacks. However sparzyle and Vardha definitely don't have parallels. If you were pulling at straws maybe transmizor can be called based on Garanz. But that be a huge stretch. That's ignoring all the desert mobs re-used in mines with again gilnas core being a stretch. The rest of the enemies who are you comparing them to?

As apposed to a "Pillbug" that looks and fights the exact same way it did in it's original appearance.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 07:48 PM
You are literally the first person I have ever seen on PSOW that actually argues that mines enemies in PSO2 are not directly inspired by PSO1's mines enemies.

And there have been many discussions on this topic, too.

And then says that an enemy that curls up and rolls around like another enemy that does the same thing MUST mean two entirely separate planets are actually the same planet.

Wow.

I'm just...I'm just gonna leave that alone.

Cyclon
Apr 23, 2013, 08:27 PM
You are literally the first person I have ever seen on PSOW that actually argues that mines enemies in PSO2 are not directly inspired by PSO1's mines enemies.

And then says that an enemy that curls up and rolls around like another enemy that does the same thing MUST mean two entirely separate planets are actually the same planet.

Wow.

't's not the mines btw. It's the underground complex.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 08:38 PM
I know. And I'm calling them mines anyway. I hope that doesn't inconvenience you at all.

BIG OLAF
Apr 23, 2013, 08:40 PM
It's an underground facility with crates and troughs full of dirt and ore and stones, with heavy machinery, conveyor belts, and (mechanized) workers.

Nope, not a mine at all.

Laxedrane
Apr 23, 2013, 09:03 PM

Wow.

If you choose to fixate on that one fact then yes it seems stupid. However, you don't want to discuss it becuase others agree with you, fine.

Edit: Actually thinking about it Ironicly, Mines was more of an unground super labortory. And tunnels is more of a mine haha.

gravityvx
Apr 23, 2013, 09:36 PM
Mines was more of an unground super labortory. And tunnels is more of a mine haha.

Truth. Tunnels on the other hand just seems to be an abandoned factory. And a pretty bland one at that. Come to think of it, whatever happened to the dark rooms...those were always fun try to find that switch while fighting in the dark, oh wait we still don't have a fully indoors zone. The reason PSO1 mines were seem far more like mines is because they lead to the underground ruins if you were to play offline story and gotten all the obelisks, whereas you have the tunnels that's just a factory leading right back outside, as seen when fight Vardha.

gigawuts
Apr 23, 2013, 09:38 PM
It was. The music file for mines has it actually named lab. Which is why I find the nitpicking over what to call mines in PSO2 funny, because they weren't mines in PSO1 either and here we are calling them that.

edit: Actually, the file I'm thinking of refers to it as machine, just checked it. I wonder what file I saw reference them as labs. Oh well.

~Aya~
Apr 23, 2013, 09:40 PM
they weren't mines in PSO1 they were underground moonbases

Cyclon
Apr 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
I know. And I'm calling them mines anyway. I hope that doesn't inconvenience you at all.
I'll survive.

It's an underground facility with crates and troughs full of dirt and ore and stones, with heavy machinery, conveyor belts, and (mechanized) workers.

Nope, not a mine at all.
Why must you argue on that I wonder? We named it that way because it was underground and had sinow beats. Let's not pretend otherwise. Also you can't say it's not an underground complex really.

To be perfectly honest, that area also isn't how I picture a futuristic mine at all, but whatever. Forests are supposed to have more than a total of four trees, after all.

ShinMaruku
Apr 23, 2013, 11:52 PM
You guys care more about pso2 than Sega. I am convinced you need to prove to them that they ain't got game.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2013, 12:36 AM
You guys care more about pso2 than Sega.

> every discussion about every PS game

Anna_Wren
Apr 24, 2013, 03:45 AM
Ok, soooo

First off, "Dewmans" go all the way back to the first Phantasy star game. Anyone controlled or influenced by Dark Falz and D cells became Dumans and had some control over the dark powers that emanated from the profound darkness.

In PSO, the MOTHER project as well as mags are all made with D cells. Point of note, the whole reason for the Pioneer project was to use the D Factor to make super soldiers.

Moving onto PSU, Hyuga and Maya are subjected to SEED virus (In fact D cells) and due to Maya's vaccine are mostly ok. Hyuga becomes a Dewman in the process (you even fight him in his beast "nanoblasted" duman form) and Karl is fully duman, so is Helga, and able to will their bodies to do exceptional things.

PSO2 is, in fact, just PSU2 (The name was changes for marketing reasons obviously, and I think Sakai even mentioned the game was originally PSU2 before the name change, IIRC) and the games will eventually be explicitly linked, just as PSP2i linked completely to PSO. The games hinted more and more at this with weapons and old monsters and bosses showing up more and more as the games bled into the new ones, but this time is quite explicit. I would not be shocked due to the whole subspace travel and the whole PSU eternal planets game that PSO2 characters are from Gurhal.

In such a case, beasts will obviously be back and dumans are nothing new. They just haven't been heroes until PSP2i because of Dark Falz influence. Hell, if you screw up, Nagisa becomes the new Falz.

And now, in PSO2, Dark Falz is made up of what appears to be Duman D Arkers from what I've seen in the vids.

As for "Photons", its obviously a reference to the Great Light and using its power to fight the minions of Dark Falz and the Profound Darkness. Its the spiritual energy of the Phantasy star online series, and the dark version can also be harnessed apparently.

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 24, 2013, 03:50 AM
I don't have any argument with that in particular. The japanese love combining words like that and PSO/PSU is filled with that stuff. By all rights "Duman" should be short for dark human, but my one "wtf" to all of this is where in the classic games is anyone referred to as a duman and barring that, where are there examples of humans who've been tainted but have full control of their faculties before PSP2i?

Alisha
Apr 24, 2013, 04:01 AM
uh zio?

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 24, 2013, 04:10 AM
I wouldn't call someone doing the bidding of a dark entity in control of their faculties.

Kilich
Apr 24, 2013, 08:27 AM
Photons are spiritual energy?
I'm pretty sure they are much closer to science, than mysticism, since wireless energy transfer and spacetime manipulation are already known to be possible.
We even discovered the particles that, potentially, can be used for latter. Higgs Bosons, if I remember right.

Darki
Apr 24, 2013, 12:50 PM
I don't have any argument with that in particular. The japanese love combining words like that and PSO/PSU is filled with that stuff. By all rights "Duman" should be short for dark human, but my one "wtf" to all of this is where in the classic games is anyone referred to as a duman and barring that, where are there examples of humans who've been tainted but have full control of their faculties before PSP2i?

Well, depends on what you call "before". If you refer during PSU timespan but before PSPo2i then you got Hyuuga there, who naturally ends turning into a duman. But it'd be obviousto assume that there hadn't been any before him since the SEED invasion had happened not too long ago.

If you refer to previous games... I suppose the concept didn't existe yet, but I believe it'd be easy to retcon. The thing is that, while in PSU you got a whole planet infected by the SEED, in PSO at least from what I remember the only two characters who get infected by the D-cells are Rico and Flowen, and one was to be the vessel of Dark Falz and the other was another special case since he was fused with Olga.

Photons are spiritual energy?
I'm pretty sure they are much closer to science, than mysticism, since wireless energy transfer and spacetime manipulation are already known to be possible.
We even discovered the particles that, potentially, can be used for latter. Higgs Bosons, if I remember right.

The fact is that the antagonist force to the Profound Darkness is the Great "Light". It doesn't necessarily require that photon technology is something spiritual, but as being "light" it is able to damage entities from darkness.

Is like the lore about werewolves and silver bullets. Is not that silver is magical, is simply that werewolves are vulnerable to common silver.

In the other hand, I don't really think that they refer to regular photons, there has to be something in between that is used as a catalyst, or else how'd you create weapons made of them? even if you were able to pile up photons in a blade they wouldn't do damage since photons are so small that they'd go through atoms.

That could be the "spiritual" component coming from the Great Light, what binds photons in the shape of a weapon, that Forces control with their mind to create technics, etc.

Alisha
Apr 24, 2013, 01:08 PM
Well, depends on what you call "before". If you refer during PSU timespan but before PSPo2i then you got Hyuuga there, who naturally ends turning into a duman. But it'd be obviousto assume that there hadn't been any before him since the SEED invasion had happened not too long ago.

If you refer to previous games... I suppose the concept didn't existe yet, but I believe it'd be easy to retcon. The thing is that, while in PSU you got a whole planet infected by the SEED, in PSO at least from what I remember the only two characters who get infected by the D-cells are Rico and Flowen, and one was to be the vessel of Dark Falz and the other was another special case since he was fused with Olga.

The fact is that the antagonist force to the Profound Darkness is the Great "Light". It doesn't necessarily require that photon technology is something spiritual, but as being "light" it is able to damage entities from darkness.

Is like the lore about werewolves and silver bullets. Is not that silver is magical, is simply that werewolves are vulnerable to common silver.

In the other hand, I don't really think that they refer to regular photons, there has to be something in between that is used as a catalyst, or else how'd you create weapons made of them? even if you were able to pile up photons in a blade they wouldn't do damage since photons are so small that they'd go through atoms.

That could be the "spiritual" component coming from the Great Light, what binds photons in the shape of a weapon, that Forces control with their mind to create technics, etc.

this incorrect. bernie was infected too as revealed in episode 3 if you follow the kraz/kylria storyline

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 24, 2013, 01:12 PM
What is incorrect? If you're talking about the concept being new Bernie is a bad example since they didn't pursue the story with him past a certain point. We already know that the effects of such a contamination are a slow acting erosion rather than an instant transformation.

Alisha
Apr 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
What is incorrect? If you're talking about the concept being new Bernie is a bad example since they didn't pursue the story with him past a certain point. We already know that the effects of such a contamination are a slow acting erosion rather than an instant transformation.
that rico and flowen were the only ones infected.

anyways what about this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgAS1EE_c6U

gigawuts
Apr 24, 2013, 01:16 PM
I still like the idea of dumans being something you unlock and are able to actually convert into by playing the story, while being able to opt out of it completely if you want.

ShinMaruku
Apr 24, 2013, 01:25 PM
> every discussion about every PS game

But you have no financial incentive to give a toss more than sega. Do you own Servive Games Stock Rock? :E

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2013, 01:27 PM
But you have no financial incentive to give a toss more than sega. Do you own Servive Games Stock Rock? :E

I own EVERYTHING!

SociableTyrannosaur
Apr 24, 2013, 02:05 PM

16. Phantasy Star 4 Cutscenes - Rykros - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgAS1EE_c6U)

Seth? The guy who reveals himself to be an extension of DF and betrays you?

Now I know you're just playing around.

Darki
Apr 24, 2013, 02:20 PM
this incorrect. bernie was infected too as revealed in episode 3 if you follow the kraz/kylria storyline

Sorry, didn't play EP 3. Still that doesn't go against what I wrote, in PSO the affected by the D-cells were a handful at most (that we know of) while in PSU we got an entire planet's population (Moatoob) infected and many of its inhabitants turned into SEEDs.

16. Phantasy Star 4 Cutscenes - Rykros - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgAS1EE_c6U)

I was referring to the PSO storyline. I have no idea about classic games. But still, my point was that there's room for the concept of dumans since human infection by the "Falz factor" has existed since long before. In older games what I see is that this wasn't exploited the way that it was in PSPo2i.

Remember that Hyuuga himself turns into a huge SEED monster before "overcoming" the infection and turning into a duman. Is there any instance of a character in any previous game, that gets infected and survives to tell the tale, for a long period of time?

ShinMaruku
Apr 24, 2013, 02:21 PM
You own ratchet riri?

Darki
Apr 24, 2013, 02:22 PM
What? <_<

ShinMaruku
Apr 24, 2013, 02:44 PM
Rock says he owns everything. What he really means is he owns Ratchet Riri.

RedRaz0r
Apr 24, 2013, 03:46 PM
I swear most people on these forums have ADHD...I see a thread with an interesting topic and I want to engage in an intelligent conversation, only to find that 75% of the thread has nothing to do with the title =/

Kilich
Apr 24, 2013, 03:48 PM

Light and Dark can be called plus and minus, as in magnets, since Dark takes away energy, while Light gives it. just like electromagnetic fields.

And weapons made from photons can be compressed space, like Wind techs, since nothing is sharper than what even atoms are made from.

Not to argue, or derail, just sharing thoughts. I had for a while

Laxedrane
Apr 24, 2013, 04:14 PM

Seed basicly went like this in psu(To my memory).

-In episode 1 first chapter is the first seed fall. Ethan inspired to become a guardian becuase of these events.
-Time jumps ahead for chapter 2 after ethans training. Seed fall is now a regular event and become the main concern for the Guardians.
-At the end of episode 1 when Ethan goes to save Hyuga maya and her ex(Forgot his name). This is first time of seed virus happens when Maya's ex turns into a seed.
-They decide to keep the existence of additional hives a secret. More people end up turning into a seed. A preventative antigen is created.
-They soon realize it isn't enough and troops are still becoming infected. This is when a cure is started to be researched.
-Maya personally doesn't start researching it(To my memory) until Hyuga comes back from a mission testing positive.
-The illuminus not only call back the seed in mass with the "Soche" bomb but they also weaponize the seed virus causing them to be able to turn a whole city into seed as seen at the end of Episode 2.
-Maya cures Hyuga making him the first Dumen. However I don't believe he is the first one to realize the new powers that now are within.

I never did actually see the ending of episode 3. So someone else will have to pick up from there.

NoiseHERO
Apr 24, 2013, 04:24 PM
I swear most people on these forums have ADHD...I see a thread with an interesting topic and I want to engage in an intelligent conversation, only to find that 75% of the thread has nothing to do with the title =/

More like the topic is uninteresting, Or the people posting are uninteresting, Or everyone's alpha male syndrome kicks in and someone has to be contradicting for no reason exaggerating the emotion behind their "simple" opinion that no one cares about and it breaks out into an argument. Then where the thread has been defiled people just post nonsense till it's dead.

ShinMaruku
Apr 24, 2013, 05:16 PM

The topic must change to sustain discussion. So yeah most of it will be different. That said Beast women are the best.