PDA

View Full Version : New Class Ideas

KuraiHikari
Apr 25, 2013, 05:50 AM
I doubt any of the JP PSO2 creators will ever look at or consider this, but I wanted to put it somewhere to get someone's opinion on these ideas, so here I am.

I recently came up with an idea for 3 additional classes, one for each type (hunter,force, and ranger). Below is what I came up with:

*New Hunter Branch

Name: Vanguard

Class Description: Meant for multipurpose, the Vanguard class acts as just that, the vanguard. This is meant to be a longer range variant of the hunter class, with a focus on taking down multiple enemies or simply weakening a large group for the others in a party to take down. With the use of a class specific skill a Vanguard can change their stance in order to increase their attack at the cost of restricting the whip to only attacking one enemy at a time, going from wide sweeping motions to concise flicks like one would generally imagine a whip. The shield, as their only means of defense becomes a Vanguard's best defense and also one of their greatest strengths upon use of the "Whip Gear".

Primary Weapons:
1. "Whip Set": In short it is a whip in one hand and a shield in the other. Plain and simple. Just like the shields of old, Just Guarding will do damage to whoever attacked. The "Whip Set" is meant generally for wide range attacks, but can also be used for singular combat through the use of a class specific skill. The "Whip Gear" is exactly like the "Sword Gear" in that it steadily increases with the number of hits one lands on an enemy. The difference in the two is that the "Whip Gear" gives a slight attack boost to the whip's attacks as it fills up, but also has a second mechanic that is part of the shield. Once the "Whip Gear" gauge maxes out, it instantly empties and goes straight to a small "Shield Gear" counter right above the whip gear that can go at max to 5 charges. After maxing out Shield charges, the Whip can max out without worry about spontaneously emptying. When there is at least one charge in the "Shield Gear", the next time the Vanguard Just Guards, a large expulsion of energy injures the enemy which is amplified in effect depending on how many charges are in the "Shield Gear". At level 5, the Just Guard also imbues the attack with a 100% chance of using a status ailment. Perfect for those Dark Falz runs when you need an easy shock status. Using this, however, puts the shield gear back to 0, requiring one to charge to use the shield again.
2. "Gunslash": Same old Gunslash, but it simply gets a class where it is specialized. The Vanguard gets a "GS Gear" which increases it's attack as it rises and changes some of the moves like some of the hunter gears. On the plus side, this gear doesn't deal with an emptying mechanic like the "Whip Gear" does.

Pros:
-Wide range attacks
-Specialization for Gunslash users
-An defense that works as a powerful offense

Cons:
-Relatively low base damage in comparison to other Hunter classes
-Only two weapons to use in this specific class
-Loss of amassed attack buff unless at max shield charge

Next is the Ranger class branch, which I will give it's own post for. Please feel free to respond with your comments, concerns, or even criticisms on this. I simply ask you to please keep it constructive and not just rail on me for no given reason.

KuraiHikari
Apr 25, 2013, 06:20 AM
*New Ranger Branch

Name: Slinger

Class Description: Taking versatility into mind, the Slinger is the all purpose shooter. With two additional weapon types, the bow, and the Javel, Slingers are ready for anything whether it be accurately hitting an enemies weak point, or clearing out the fodder to get to the bigger threat.

Primary Weapons:
1. Bow: Old concept that I haven't changed from it's inception. It is simply a bow meant for shooting accurately at any range and defending when enemys get close, being the only ranged weapon whose shift key is meant for defense. Perfect for those who like to fight large bosses, but either don't want to get close or want to end it quickly by hitting weak points from afar. The bow has it's own gear which increases as one hits an enemy. The boon provided by the "Bow Gear" is an increase in the firing speed, turning the quite sluggish bow into a very powerful, long range killer.
2. Javel: (This is an original idea of mine that wasn't adapted from the extended PS universe, so bear with me if you don't like it.) The Javel is a strange weapon in the fact that it's shots don't instantly take full effect. When deployed by the photon emitting wristbands on the Slinger's wrists and thrown, they create initial damage on impact. The main difference is the fact that the Javels stay in their target, allowing one to plant up to six before the old ones get overwritten by the newer ones. Upon being placed (Whether in an enemy or elsewhere), by pressing shift all of the planted Javels are detonated in the order they were placed. In exchange for a gear (which I couldn't make because it was overwritten by this idea) I decided to have this one have a toggle skill that changes the Javel from a long ranged delay weapon, to a quick short range weapon. Upon activation of the skill, a Javel is placed into the Slinger's hand and used as a swift close ranged weapon. R-Atk is still applied, however the shift key changes from a skill swap button to a defense button, limiting the number of skills a Slinger can use to one until the skill is toggled again, turning the Javel back into a ranged weapon.

3. Dagger: I was originally going to post this one, but upon review I found I didn't like it. This one stays in the recesses of my mind. Only thing I'll say is that they were throwing daggers.

Pros:
-Able to be applied to any range
-Able to guard instead of rolling everywhere or accidentally into a corner (did that a few times and died due to it)
-Ability to switch to close range should one not be able to hit an enemy with ranged shots for some reason.

Cons:
-Lack of 2nd and 3rd skill slot for bow
-Locking of the last two skill slots for Close range Javel
-Slow base attacking speed in comparison to prior Ranger classes

Final one is the Force Branch which, like this one, will have it's own post. Excuse me a quick moment.

KuraiHikari
Apr 25, 2013, 07:06 AM
*New Ranger Branch

Name: Caster

Class Description: Ever want to be summoned and fight in a Holy Grail War and summon spells for someone? Yes? No? Well it doesn't matter, because this isn't related to that anyway. The Caster sticks to it's guns and stays the sole technic user of the three primary classes. As it should be. However, this mainly technic based class will also get a taste of what it means to be multi-purpose. Don't understand what's going on? Well, the description of the two weapons for the Caster will help explain things. (I'm sure you can tell, but I'm having a bit of fun typing this one as this one is all original ideas of mine. :3)

Primary Weapons:
1. Gramore: Ever wanted to have your PSO-self read while also kicking ass? Never thought of it? Well you could with the Gramore. This small, yet powerful book is quite short-sighted in that it only allows for technic attacks. I bet you're wondering "Only technic attacks? How in the world do you expect me to regenerate my PP to keep using those technics. They get expensive.". I have an answer to that. The Gramore comes with it's own gear. As more attacks land that you dish out with the Gramore, the gauge will fill causing technics to become cheaper to cast and makes a Caster's PP regen increase. This not only lets you unleash hell with the reducing of the PP cost, but it allows a Caster to deal out Cocytus-level hell with the PP regen. Nice right?
2. Nodes: This is where this class get's it "multi-purpose" abilities from. The 6 nodes, which by default float in a circular formation behind the Caster, are quite fickle in what they want to be in life. They always start out as technic casting, but are strange in that casting an offensive technic only makes it get stuck halfway through casting in the nodes. This makes it so that the element of the nodes change to the element of the technic initially cast. For example, say that Foie is cast. The normal attacks of the nodes will be fire imbued for a short amount of time. Upon casting another technic of the same element, the charge is released and and the technic is cast. The damage is equal to the technic being used, plus whatever the first technic's damage would have been. When the nodes decide that they are tired of simply being used to cast technics, they (more the Caster through the use of a toggle skill) decide to spread out and face the enemy. In this spread formation, the regular attack turns into condensed photon laser beams which extend to a good medium range. In this form, the nodes dreams of being a ranger's weapon is realized, through it's own ranged skills. This form also allows the caster to use Technic's uninterrupted. Being able to use both technic and ranged condensed photon lasers is a dream come true. However, as it seems the nodes are going through an extended mid-life crisis (or the caster can't decide on what form to use, shame on you for investing your sp into all three forms anyway) they decide that their calling isn't to be a ranged/technic weapon, but to be a physical/technic weapon. Splitting into groups of three and positioning themselves behind each of the Caster's arms, they create photon blades so that the Caster can rush in close. They also block all attempts to be a full-fledged technic weapon, instead relying on unique skills for it's armblade form and also blocking offensive technics and simply changing the elements of the blades for potentially increased damage. There is no gear for this weapon, as the variability of the nodes easily make up for the need or want of it. That and I can already imagine how potentially convoluted the skill tree for this weapon could be.

Pros:
-Ability to cast far more technics then other Force classes (Gramore)
-T-Atk applies to all stated above. (Not really a pro or con, but I had to put this somewhere and I couldn't fit it in anywhere.)
-Ability to cover many different ranges at any given time.

Cons:
- Large skill tree which would probably only allow the full usage of 2 forms at max.
-Jack-of-all-trades type stats in that nothing is truly specialized, despite being classified as a Force class.
-Double the cost when casting in base technic mode and no ability to cast in warrior mode (Nodes)

How does one go unlocking all of these classes? Simply go and get to level 30 on the second classes of each branch.

Lvl 30 Hunter -> Lvl 30 Fighter -> Vanguard
Lvl 30 Ranger -> Lvl 30 Gunner -> Slinger
Lvl 30 Force -> Lvl 30 Techer -> Caster

I realize this was a long read, but I thank those who took the time to troop through these and read them. I enjoyed typing them for you to read, so I hope you got a kick out of it too. I hope to hear some kind of feedback about these soon. I'd like to hear what you have to say. Until then, I'll see you around.

UnLucky
Apr 25, 2013, 12:20 PM
With the use of a class specific skill a Vanguard can change their stance in order to increase their attack at the cost of restricting the whip to only attacking one enemy at a time, going from wide sweeping motions to concise flicks like one would generally imagine a whip.So this toggle skill wouldn't affect any other weapon? But it's like a stance where it lasts 10m or so. Sounds more like a Shift action, but you're already using that. You could have the shield automatically block attacks, like enemies with shields do, instead of an active Guard, but then you lose control of your damage reflect and status infliction (which one does it apply?).

I'd like to see some more details on your GS Gear. How would you turn it into a melee weapon? Though I doubt Ranger or Gunner will sub Vanguard just for the Gear, since Hunter or Ranger are much better damage subs.

1. Bow: It is simply a bow meant for shooting accurately at any range and defending when enemys get close, being the only ranged weapon whose shift key is meant for defense.You mean like TMG? What does its Shift action actually do?

2. Javel: Upon being placed, by pressing shift all of the planted Javels are detonated in the order they were placed. I decided to have this one have a toggle skill that changes the Javel from a long ranged delay weapon, to a quick short range weapon. Upon activation of the skill, a Javel is placed into the Slinger's hand and used as a swift close ranged weapon. R-Atk is still applied, however the shift key changes from a skill swap button to a defense button, limiting the number of skills a Slinger can use to one until the skill is toggled again, turning the Javel back into a ranged weapon.So does pressing Shift to use your other PAs trigger one of your placed Javels, or is it a combo palette as well? I think I'd rather see an active skill be the detonator (think Poison Ignite, but not shit), and the Shift action does the Gunslash (but you lose your Guard).

Also do these weapons arc through the air? Or is the bow hitscan like the guns?

1. Gramore: I bet you're wondering "Only technic attacks? How in the world do you expect me to regenerate my PP to keep using those technics. They get expensive."No, not really. I'm more wondering if you meant Grimoire.
As more attacks land that you dish out with the Gramore, the gauge will fill causing technics to become cheaper to cast and makes a Caster's PP regen increase. This not only lets you unleash hell with the reducing of the PP cost, but it allows a Caster to deal out Cocytus-level hell with the PP regen. Nice right?Sweet, let's make Zonde free and fire techs sustainable. The Gramore is weaker like a Talis, right?

2. Nodes: The normal attacks of the nodes will be fire imbued for a short amount of time. Upon casting another technic of the same element, the charge is released and and the technic is cast. The damage is equal to the technic being used, plus whatever the first technic's damage would have been.But the charge is lost, and the nodes can't attack anymore? Or just with untyped damage. Also what if you always use a different element, does it only replace the charge and never release a tech?
In this spread formation, the regular attack turns into condensed photon laser beams which extend to a good medium range. In this form, the nodes dreams of being a ranger's weapon is realized, through it's own ranged skills. This form also allows the caster to use Technic's uninterrupted.Not really seeing the advantage of one form over the other. If this "ranged" form's damage isn't significant, you're just a normal Force. If the "tech" form's damage isn't significant, you're just a limited Force. If the damage of either is significant, why use one over the other?
Splitting into groups of three and positioning themselves behind each of the Caster's arms, they create photon blades so that the Caster can rush in close. They also block all attempts to be a full-fledged technic weapon, instead relying on unique skills for it's armblade form and also blocking offensive technics and simply changing the elements of the blades for potentially increased damage.Which unique skills? PAs? That you can set on your Node weapon palette, but not use unless you're in a certain form? Or does each individual technic/element get converted? Charged/uncharged techs make any difference?

Du1337
Apr 25, 2013, 03:03 PM
There are coming new races/classes right?

KuraiHikari
Apr 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
Alright UnLucky, I shall answer your questions.
Where to start... from the top of course. Let's see...

So this toggle skill wouldn't affect any other weapon? But it's like a stance where it lasts 10m or so. Sounds more like a Shift action, but you're already using that. You could have the shield automatically block attacks, like enemies with shields do, instead of an active Guard, but then you lose control of your damage reflect and status infliction (which one does it apply?).

I'd like to see some more details on your GS Gear. How would you turn it into a melee weapon? Though I doubt Ranger or Gunner will sub Vanguard just for the Gear, since Hunter or Ranger are much better damage subs.
-No, the toggle skill wouldn't affect any other weapon as it is a skill meant specifically for the whip. The auto guard would be a nice touch, but as you said it would get rid of the ability to JG. I meant the shield to apply both reflect and status inflict, but only when a JG is performed. The status infliction would be a rarer occurrence just like any other weapon unless the Shield Gear gauge is maxed out, where it will be 100%, which would be coupled with the damage reflect. Also the GS gear was primarily, in my head anyway, going to be set up like the partisan gear. It would have 3 gear charges, using one per photon art to either change the attack slightly (for example, throwing out and detonating 3 grenades instead of 1 while using "Thrillerplode/スリラープロード") or simply increasing the attack power of a PA.

You mean like TMG? What does its Shift action actually do?
-Alright, this is going to be a strange one for anyone who reads this. I meant for the bow to be a stronger, more accurate, and a longer range weapon in exchange for it being a slower and more stationary weapon. In making it so, I simply thought to exchange the ability of the shift key from swapping to the 2nd and 3rd PA slot to simply guarding.

So does pressing Shift to use your other PAs trigger one of your placed Javels, or is it a combo palette as well? I think I'd rather see an active skill be the detonator (think Poison Ignite, but not shit), and the Shift action does the Gunslash (but you lose your Guard).

Also do these weapons arc through the air? Or is the bow hitscan like the guns?
-Re-reading my thoughts on the detonating Javel, I can see where one might get confused... As I'm a bit confused now. It seems I had an idea in mind, but it wasn't properly translated as I typed. Now I don't even remember where I was going with that. I must say however that I much prefer your idea of a separate skill being the detonator than whatever convoluted nonsense I had in mind as I was typing this. Also, the Bow and the thrown Javels are meant to arc through the arc so you can actually see where the shots are going.

No, not really. I'm more wondering if you meant Grimoire.
-Yeah, it is in essence a Grimoire, but I felt like a rename was in order. Why I renamed it, I have no idea, and looking back makes it seem like a bit of a strange name.

Sweet, let's make Zonde free and fire techs sustainable.
-That was a funny joke, good one. All seriousness though, I'd rather there be a limit to how far down the reduction goes as to still give it some sort of balance. Also yes, to counter for it's ability to almost never run out of PP if used correctly, the Grim is on the damage level of the Talis. (If we gave out free zondes, nobody would ever again get rare drops from Dark Falz because all of the shocks would be used up in the first phase. Thats a horrible thought to me, as I've never gotten a rare drop from that one yet. D: )

I understand the confusion with the nodes as I kinda went wild and made it a bit of a narrative, so I'll translate it back to my normal speak.

2. Nodes: The normal attacks of the nodes will be fire imbued for a short amount of time. Upon casting another technic of the same element, the charge is released and and the technic is cast. The damage is equal to the technic being used, plus whatever the first technic's damage would have been.
But the charge is lost, and the nodes can't attack anymore? Or just with untyped damage. Also what if you always use a different element, does it only replace the charge and never release a tech?
-Casting of one element will charge the nodes and temporarily change the nodes to that element, allowing for physical attacks in the cast element. When the charge runs out, one can still attack, but it will be neutral/untyped damage until the node is charged with another offensive technic. If a technic of one element is cast, for example foie, the nodes will temporarily become fire attribute. If one were to use zonde while the nodes are still charged, it will simply change the attribute to lightning without releasing a technic.

Not really seeing the advantage of one form over the other. If this "ranged" form's damage isn't significant, you're just a normal Force. If the "tech" form's damage isn't significant, you're just a limited Force. If the damage of either is significant, why use one over the other?
-... I see your point and raise you... nothing. You actually have a very valid point there. It seems what I did was accidentally make two "limited force" versions of this weapon. I think a better version is getting rid of the first form altogether and leaving the nodes with the ranger/tech form and the hunter/tech form of this particular weapon. Thank you for pointing out the crippling folly in this weapon. That's why I crossed out the lines above. The lines above were simply trying to hold a bridge together with a twig.

Which unique skills? PAs? That you can set on your Node weapon palette, but not use unless you're in a certain form? Or does each individual technic/element get converted? Charged/uncharged techs make any difference?
-Onto the thought of the PA/Technic system of the nodes, I had an idea in my head the palette would be split between the two forms. Just like a usual close range weapon, the first half of the palette would be set up for a regular attack and a tiered PA system (Think the Hunter PA systems). Upon using the shift key, it would change to 2 dedicated technic slots to use for casting in ranged form, or imbuing elements to the armblades. Charging will not give an attack or attribute increase any more than an uncharged version. The only difference between charging a technic in the blades and not charging is that the buff will last for a longer amount of time. The general format I had in mind is detailed below.

Node Palatte
Slots 1&2: Regular Attack - PA 1 -> PA 2 -> PA 3
Slots 3&4: Technic Slot - Technic Slot

Alright, I hope this clears up some (I hope all) of your questions about this. Feel free to ask more though. I'm up for more questions.

KuraiHikari
Apr 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
There are coming new races/classes right?
Not to my knowledge, but I could be wrong. Expect an update as I look for this...

Edit: Nope, no new classes or races on the near horizon. It'd be interesting to see beasts make a comeback though.

AgemFrostMage
Apr 25, 2013, 03:58 PM
I like when people post ideas then it can be peer reviewed and the community sees ways for balancing. Personally, I like the idea of a couple of classes below:

The brawler: Is very strong and can run fast.

The monk: Knows karate, so his knuckles skill is much higher, resulting in faster, swifter knuckle attacks. He can also run fast and jump higher than other classes. Not the best for questing, but can still do it okay, where it really excels is PK.

Arrow
Apr 25, 2013, 04:24 PM
This is just me but...Slinger class and the Vanguard should be combined almost, javelins sound like another form of gunslash that can have a few new tricks.

on new class ideas:

Slayer:

more tech/PA oriented than even FI, with bowstaffs (similar to rods combined with partisans) and sabers (bringing back sabers).

Highlight abilities would be "Element Shift," "Artemis Strike," "Beam Shift," and "Guard Shift" (sound familiar?)

Element shift: does exactly as it says (either toggles through the elements or you have a handful of separate buttons) which affects all attacks and PAs (not really techs)

Artemis Strike:
Summons a lot of elemental spears/arrows that cover a wide range horizontally infront of the player that piece through enemies.
Totally not a rip off of the Golden Sun Atlanta Summon
[SPOILER-BOX]go to 0:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwT8qhVFLQ=31s[/SPOILER-BOX]

Beam Shift: Increases melee attack range (think LoZ sword beams in a sense just not that good) but decreases S-atk.

Guard Shift: Toggles through a boost to either S, R, or T Atk with a chance to act like the guard action of Hunter weps. (% chance of activating = dex/10)

UnLucky
Apr 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
-Alright, this is going to be a strange one for anyone who reads this. I meant for the bow to be a stronger, more accurate, and a longer range weapon in exchange for it being a slower and more stationary weapon. In making it so, I simply thought to exchange the ability of the shift key from swapping to the 2nd and 3rd PA slot to simply guarding.Ah, so a single target Launcher with Guard. Not trying to be reductionist, just imagining how it'd work.

-That was a funny joke, good one. All seriousness though, I'd rather there be a limit to how far down the reduction goes as to still give it some sort of balance. Also yes, to counter for it's ability to almost never run out of PP if used correctly, the Grim is on the damage level of the Talis.Assuming it can't be combined with both Force (Charge PP and PP Save) and Techer (PP Restorate), it has to be balanced around 5 PP/s while charging, -10 PP from PP Save, and PP Usage Down from medical drinks. There are also weapon potentials to consider, which can further reduce PP costs or increase PP regen. If no Gramore has such potentials, then the Gear would have to be better than a Fo/Te with 7-8.5 PP/s (Seitenheise) and 80-60% PP costs (Psycho Wand). Or just an easier way to attain that level of sustainability but with lower damage.

I understand the confusion with the nodes as I kinda went wild and made it a bit of a narrative, so I'll translate it back to my normal speak.Perhaps this ranged form is simply free damage, though the techs themselves are weaker, and copies your last used tech's damage? I hate how wand explosions are typed off the weapon's element, but you could also do that here. Make the Nodes like a second mag who helps you out occasionally.

Node Palette
Slots 1&2: Regular Attack - PA 1 -> PA 2 -> PA 3
Slots 3&4: Technic Slot - Technic Slot
So a new behavior for weapon palettes. Seems a bit confusing to set up, too. You select your weapon, then selecting its first empty slot expands that one into three? But the others don't.

Gives me an idea for melee weapons with an Alt action where each original PA slot is its own combo. So if you set just Sonic Arrow onto Right Click/B or whatever, then it will always be back-to-back SA. But you can set up Alt+Left Click to cycle through Stun Coincide->Rising Edge->Twister Fall and then Alt+Right Click is Ride Slasher->Over End->Over End. Shift still lets you Guard.

KuraiHikari
Apr 26, 2013, 03:00 AM
I like when people post ideas then it can be peer reviewed and the community sees ways for balancing.
-Of course. I like having people see my ideas and give feedback. No idea is perfect from the start, as it has already been pointed out already.

This is just me but...Slinger class and the Vanguard should be combined almost, javelins sound like another form of gunslash that can have a few new tricks.
-My thought process was to keep the Javels separate as a "specialized" gunslash, in that they focus more on range, but can be used as a close range in an emergency or if one is just a quirky player and prefers the close range version. Also, The hunter branches already have the same number of weapons as the other ranger/force classes combined, so I thought the ranger/tech classes needed some love.

Assuming it can't be combined with both Force (Charge PP and PP Save) and Techer (PP Restorate), it has to be balanced around 5 PP/s while charging, -10 PP from PP Save, and PP Usage Down from medical drinks. There are also weapon potentials to consider, which can further reduce PP costs or increase PP regen. If no Gramore has such potentials, then the Gear would have to be better than a Fo/Te with 7-8.5 PP/s (Seitenheise) and 80-60% PP costs (Psycho Wand). Or just an easier way to attain that level of sustainability but with lower damage.
-Yeah, I can't think of a way to get zonde's not to be free. Huh... any ideas? I'm a bit stumped aside from having a set limit to reduction.

Perhaps this ranged form is simply free damage, though the techs themselves are weaker, and copies your last used tech's damage? I hate how wand explosions are typed off the weapon's element, but you could also do that here. Make the Nodes like a second mag who helps you out occasionally.
-My only problem with the Mag thought is that the attacks from a mag are scarily inconsistent. If you have two mags, then it's rare that you'll be able to attack at all. The point in the ranged form was to be able to attack without relying on something else to do it for you.

So a new behavior for weapon palettes. Seems a bit confusing to set up, too. You select your weapon, then selecting its first empty slot expands that one into three? But the others don't.

Gives me an idea for melee weapons with an Alt action where each original PA slot is its own combo. So if you set just Sonic Arrow onto Right Click/B or whatever, then it will always be back-to-back SA. But you can set up Alt+Left Click to cycle through Stun Coincide->Rising Edge->Twister Fall and then Alt+Right Click is Ride Slasher->Over End->Over End. Shift still lets you Guard.
-Oh yeah, the alt button doesn't do anything does it? I like this idea better than mine honestly. The only problem would be for the controller players who would have another button to deal with mapping. Also, i wasn't creating a new behavior for weapon palettes in general, just for this weapon.