PDA

View Full Version : How should katanas be done?

Rosel
Apr 25, 2013, 06:31 AM
What would you like to see for Katanas when they come out? What should the gameplay be like?

I'm personally hoping that the best Photon Arts aren't "chargeable" but instant, and a lot of gap closers.

I've basically given up hope that they'll add this kind of gameplay to Swords, so maybe it'll have to be introduced with Katanas.

I was thinking of it possibly being like Vergil.

As you can see, Vergil has a lot of very fast gap closers, teleports, lots of combo potential.

So...

1. What are your HOPES for Katana gameplay?

2. What are your PREDICTIONS for Katana gameplay?

very different things. ;-)

Here's Vergil, from the DmC DLC. I would be in heaven if melee was really fast, efficient, and fun like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEQLj2wTfTg

gigawuts
Apr 25, 2013, 06:36 AM
Pretty much that, and what I've seen of MGSR. Fast, flashy, quick animations, and mobile, with possible secondary effects (somebody mentioned things like tech effects tied to the katana - that would be awesome).

That said, I don't want them to be the only increased mobility melee weapon or melee class, which I fear they will be.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 25, 2013, 06:49 AM
this big
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-oT4N2FcBCZw/Tdo1FQFEQkI/AAAAAAAAAzw/9c0mT7eRCK8/s400/Nodachi+1.jpg

and for hunters+^_^+

Rosel
Apr 25, 2013, 06:51 AM
I meant gameplay-wise.

I have a feeling new weapons will belong to a new class. This will probably encourage people to buy a slot and make a Duman, a completely bland and lame race, because: "Well, if I'm starting at level 1 anyway, I might as well use the 'new' race."

Chik'Tikka
Apr 25, 2013, 06:54 AM
I meant gameplay-wise.

oh, well, like this+^_^+ but for Hunters, i think new classes altogether will just tick people off considering insane amount of grinding needed to get one to 60+^_^+ and no-dachi for range purposes+^_^+

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rZe0UCbR4Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rZe0UCbR4Y

gigawuts
Apr 25, 2013, 07:07 AM
I meant gameplay-wise.

I have a feeling new weapons will belong to a new class. This will probably encourage people to buy a slot and make a Duman, a completely bland and lame race, because: "Well, if I'm starting at level 1 anyway, I might as well use the 'new' race."

Yeah, that's what it's looking like right now based on what people are finding in the files. I saw mention of a "swordarcher," so I'm not sure if that was an actual name taken right out of the files or what. I'd seen posts that one class would use both the katana and the bow, but I assumed that was just speculation.

The curious bit is if, since the bow is definitely ranged (blue icon) and the katana is obviously melee, if maybe the class will also have techs enabled? Maybe it's going to be some kind of universally useful sub? Maybe it'll require all classes at level 30 to unlock, or maybe it'll just require a melee class and ranged class at level 30 and there's another two classes on the way that will require melee and techs, and then techs and ranged?

Punisher106
Apr 25, 2013, 08:45 AM
I'd like to see it done like in PSO1, regarding normal attacks. But otherwise, I'd like to see a lot of speed-oriented attacks with high mobility.

Alex305!
Apr 25, 2013, 09:03 AM
I am probably alone in this but I would love to see katanas being a defensive weapon. Gear on counter hit slower movement while unsheathed but VERY fast and longer range dashes CRAZY damage bonuses on attacking after parrying boosts on successful JC's like hp regen and nullifying knock-back or awarding buffs,ect...

Of course they would be great for basic damage too like playing with a group casually but a katana user would be DEADLY to enemies with predictable patterns like gorongos and GU/GA wondas and most bosses.

A man can dream. However if sega implements this I don't care if the the most gimped class in the game and worse than techer main I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Cyclon
Apr 25, 2013, 09:20 AM
I'd like to see it done like in PSO1, regarding normal attacks.
This. Refering to the male animation of course. This style always seemed very unique to me(how they came up with the second hit of the combo is beyond me), I 'd be very curious to see what its PAs'd look like.

Quick draws from a sheath would be nice too, although that might be hard to balance.

I must admit I'm having trouble imagining what we'll end up getting. Most likely a moderately fast weapon(=partisan) at worst. That's about it.

Shinamori
Apr 25, 2013, 11:05 AM
I personally would like to see them handle as "one handed" twin daggers.

ReaperTheAbsol
Apr 25, 2013, 11:12 AM
Hakumen (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLz7w54615Y)

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQdxGe0sqU
This is how Katanas should be used.

Gardios
Apr 25, 2013, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCkj3DWTZ34

Give me this and I'll be happy!

Zeota
Apr 25, 2013, 11:45 AM
Metal Gear Rising: Final Boss HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQdxGe0sqU)

Yup!

I can never get tired of watching that.

"We're done here!"

yoshiblue
Apr 25, 2013, 12:15 PM
No awesome Samuel game play? For shame.

Demon-
Apr 25, 2013, 12:16 PM
Metal Gear Rising: Final Boss HD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbQdxGe0sqU)

Hell yeah, that's what I thought too.

Alisha
Apr 25, 2013, 12:42 PM
this please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ghZxB3oLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG-S8prwJ00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQ5GMGHx8k

TehblackUchiha
Apr 25, 2013, 12:56 PM

With the Sam Dlc i'm suprised no one has shown a video of him. He's the real samurai after all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpKFEaRJT0g

Demon-
Apr 25, 2013, 01:48 PM
With the Sam Dlc i'm suprised no one has shown a video of him. He's the real samurai after all.Yeah I was first thinking Sam but didn't have time to find a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIDSc6kah8Y

Blundy
Apr 25, 2013, 02:04 PM
i'd like to see them be dual wielded like musashi and yamato in pso, might be too similar to daggers though.

blace
Apr 25, 2013, 02:14 PM
As much as I would love for them to make katanas work a la MGR, the most I can see Sega doing is something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPMHNySk1M

Or dumbing it even further.

Ueno54
Apr 25, 2013, 02:55 PM
I hope they stay on the Samurai class only. Making people level all the way to cap for the pretty new thing makes me smile.

Zenobia
Apr 25, 2013, 03:22 PM
As much as I would love for them to make katanas work a la MGR, the most I can see Sega doing is something like this:

S4 League - Katana - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPMHNySk1M)

I see you like S4 League correct me if im wrong. I also play a lot of heavy sword matches TD and DM wise. I agree that this is about as simple Sega can make the atk animations for them go.

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2013, 03:28 PM
No awesome Samuel game play? For shame.

Sam is awesome but Raiden killed both Sam and Armstrong. Matter of fact he wrecked Armstrong's shit taking out his heart.

blace
Apr 25, 2013, 03:31 PM
I see you like S4 League correct me if im wrong. I also play a lot of heavy sword matches TD and DM wise. I agree that this is about as simple Sega can make the atk animations for them go.

In the thread about knuckles, my suggestion was to remove them entirely and replace them with CS.

I've been playing that again since the last update.

Chik'Tikka
Apr 25, 2013, 05:06 PM

S4 League - Katana - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPMHNySk1M)

0.0 i can't help but think of Setsuka and Patroklos from SoulCalibur watching that, i certainly wouldn't mind Katana style look like that,
In SoulCalibur that style was called Shinden Tsushima-ryu Battōjyutsu which Google translate game me as 震電津島龍抜刀じゅつ though Google translate undoubtedly failed that one+^_^+

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2013, 05:21 PM
I don't see Sega doing anything with them. Which is why I say they should do it like MGR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlEgYsQUJY

Touka
Apr 25, 2013, 05:55 PM
Sam is awesome but Raiden killed both Sam and Armstrong. Matter of fact he wrecked Armstrong's shit taking out his heart.

Sam barely had any cyborg enhancements,if he were like Raiden well game would've ended differently.

Zenobia
Apr 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
In the thread about knuckles, my suggestion was to remove them entirely and replace them with CS.

I've been playing that again since the last update.

I love the counter sword though I keep the spam on it to a minimum sense pl rage about it my melee palette usually consist of CS,PS and SB lol.

blace
Apr 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
I love the counter sword though I keep the spam on it to a minimum sense pl rage about it my melee palette usually consist of CS,PS and SB lol.

CS, PS and katana here. For laughs SB, PS and sigma.

It's kinda sad that S4 is the only game around that uses weird weapon combinations and animations that work. Like comet.

If only Sega took a look at other games before they decided to stick with the traditional weapon types and a few varieties.

Zenobia
Apr 25, 2013, 06:36 PM
CS, PS and katana here. For laughs SB, PS and sigma.

It's kinda sad that S4 is the only game around that uses weird weapon combinations and animations that work. Like comet.

If only Sega took a look at other games before they decided to stick with the traditional weapon types and a few varieties.

Hoho the comet I used to love using that after a wave dash or dash step and pulling that off scoring a TD that is the most insane thing to do and rarely done.\

Yeah sigma blade is really fun to use as well lol the amount of lol I get from it is fonny. Apart from the dagger which will have ppl mindless flaming you as well i'll throw that into my wep category as a katana,dagger, and hammer combo<3

If sega did indeed took the time to gaze upon that game I swear we would have some good PA's coming our way including they would let us give them these kinda examples for PA's.

blace
Apr 25, 2013, 06:41 PM
Hoho the comet I used to love using that after a wave dash or dash step and pulling that off scoring a TD that is the most insane thing to do and rarely done.\

Yeah sigma blade is really fun to use as well lol the amount of lol I get from it is fonny. Apart from the dagger which will have ppl mindless flaming you as well i'll throw that into my wep category as a katana,dagger, and hammer combo<3

If sega did indeed took the time to gaze upon that game I swear we would have some good PA's coming our way including they would let us give them these kinda examples for PA's.

Ah the breaker and dagger spammers. They know nothing but the basics with them. It's a huge pain in Chaser, I was never much for TD though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a PA based on the CS's uppercut or a few PA's based on S4's katana animations.

Zenobia
Apr 25, 2013, 08:19 PM
Ah the breaker and dagger spammers. They know nothing but the basics with them. It's a huge pain in Chaser, I was never much for TD though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a PA based on the CS's uppercut or a few PA's based on S4's katana animations.

Me neither though knowing sega they might re-vamp it into there own little thing.

Sp-24
Apr 25, 2013, 08:37 PM
Sega will most likely make katana users use the Iai style for normal attacks, step attack and that one PA where you hit your target many times, and its gear would make waves of Eastern Energy™ appear out of your ass on every move.

As for how should they be done... Maybe that's exactly how, really. From a gameplay standpoint, melee fighters could use a fast and powerful weapon with either good range if you are a samurai, or good mobility if you are a ninja. And I don't know how to make katanas stand out stylistically without resorting to the painful cliches associated with steel folded 2000 times. And knowing Sega, they'll just grab as many as they can for the PAs. PSO2 hasn't been very subtle in anything at all so far.

Alisha
Apr 26, 2013, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LxV5q0LsUc

MetalDude
Apr 26, 2013, 12:04 AM
Can't go wrong with SRW.

ShinMaruku
Apr 26, 2013, 12:07 AM
They should be like high frequency blades. If Sega won't do that then they need to leave it.

blace
Apr 26, 2013, 12:32 AM
They should be like high frequency blades. If Sega won't do that then they need to leave it.

That'll be encroaching on Kojima territory. We all know Sega won't think of that.

Kilich
Apr 26, 2013, 02:02 AM
Oh, god. What did Donte May Cry did to Vergil.
But that aside, I remember datamining said that PAs have a lot of special effects and such, so I look forward to that.

Ideally, I would want gameplay to be closer to to DMC 3 Vergil, or Revengeance.

Rosel
Apr 26, 2013, 03:35 AM
Oh, god. What did Donte May Cry did to Vergil.
But that aside, I remember datamining said that PAs have a lot of special effects and such, so I look forward to that.

Ideally, I would want gameplay to be closer to to DMC 3 Vergil, or Revengeance.

What's wrong with DmC Vergil's moveset? You don't have to hate something just because everyone else does.

MGR Raiden is cool and all, but it's weird that you're all suggesting that. 75% of his moves involve his feet blade things and a lot of the moveset is used to chain into the Blade Mode IIRC. It doesn't seem like it'd be too good in PSO2.

Also, screw Sam. That DLC was one of the worst $10 purchases I've ever made.

Rosel
Apr 26, 2013, 03:39 AM
I am probably alone in this but I would love to see katanas being a defensive weapon. Gear on counter hit slower movement while unsheathed but VERY fast and longer range dashes CRAZY damage bonuses on attacking after parrying boosts on successful JC's like hp regen and nullifying knock-back or awarding buffs,ect...

Of course they would be great for basic damage too like playing with a group casually but a katana user would be DEADLY to enemies with predictable patterns like gorongos and GU/GA wondas and most bosses.

A man can dream. However if sega implements this I don't care if the the most gimped class in the game and worse than techer main I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, you probably are alone... no offense, but I think melees are sick of being the 'defensive class' when being defensive is literally useless in PSO2. We want to be able to dart around and quickly slash stuff up, or at least I do. :-)

Ce'Nedra
Apr 26, 2013, 03:42 AM
Here's Vergil, from the DmC DLC. I would be in heaven if melee was really fast, efficient, and fun like this.

If it would be like this then I would getting more interested in the Katana class at all. So far I find Katana's to be lame in general. Also Yamigarasu revival please.

Kilich
Apr 26, 2013, 03:59 AM
What's wrong with DmC Vergil's moveset? You don't have to hate something just because everyone else does.

MGR Raiden is cool and all, but it's weird that you're all suggesting that.

I dislike DmC Vergil because of how slow and simplified he is. DMC 3 Vergil was greased lightning with quite a bit of depth to Yamato alone.

Also, Raiden had ninja run and a much better Just Guard than Hunters. And if something like Blade Mode is the shift action, then I found my new main class.

Rosel
Apr 26, 2013, 04:13 AM
I dislike DmC Vergil because of how slow and simplified he is. DMC 3 Vergil was greased lightning with quite a bit of depth to Yamato alone.

Also, Raiden had ninja run and a much better Just Guard than Hunters. And if something like Blade Mode is the shift action, then I found my new main class.

Actually, Vergil is quite a bit faster in DmC.

I think for something like Blade Mode to work, the whole game has to be developed around it, like MGR was... but yeah, it would be cool.

blace
Apr 26, 2013, 04:15 AM

I think for something like Blade Mode to work, the whole game has to be developed around it, like MGR was... but yeah, it would be cool.
I can see it now, random pauses every few seconds because of someone using Blade Mode. More so during bosses.

Kilich
Apr 26, 2013, 05:18 AM

From what I've seen in videos, he's much slower, but I don't want to derail the thread with DmC discussion. The dead should be left in peace.

And you can use Blade Mode without time stop.

Alex305!
Apr 26, 2013, 07:59 AM
Yeah, you probably are alone... no offense, but I think melees are sick of being the 'defensive class' when being defensive is literally useless in PSO2. We want to be able to dart around and quickly slash stuff up, or at least I do. :-)

Please read carefully it doesn't have anything to do with straight up being defensive. I put that shit in bold. MORE damage from being defensive. Like JG but actually being useful than just cutting back on recovery. So instead of just attacking and the occasional PA spam we would have a melee weapon that gets a whole lot of mileage from making good reads. Someone posted it earlier like Hakumen from Blazblue. I don't know though this is a mashy kind of mindless game and adding this would be unorthodox but i'm a huge sucker for characters/weapons that excel from good reads. For example Great sword from monster hunter,Hakumen,hibiki and other similar characters from fighters,royal guard from DmC3/4..ect.

gigawuts
Apr 26, 2013, 08:44 AM
Well, Katanas don't really lend themselves to defense...at all. Maybe a shield and saber, sure. I get wanting a new defensive playstyle. Having your offense amped up by defending well is a neat idea.

I just don't think katanas fit that.

edit: Then again, there was mention of a two handed mode, something about a "saya" which may indicate using a scabbard as a weapon. That may be exactly what you're thinking of.

blace
Apr 26, 2013, 10:58 AM
:(
And you can use Blade Mode without time stop.
What's the fun of Blade Mode without time stop/slowdown? That was the selling point of the game, by giving the player the chance to cut up anything and everything with precision.

ShinMaruku
Apr 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
That'll be encroaching on Kojima territory. We all know Sega won't think of that.

Kojima would make pso2 better. :E

Alex305!
Apr 26, 2013, 01:53 PM
Well, Katanas don't really lend themselves to defense...at all. Maybe a shield and saber, sure. I get wanting a new defensive playstyle. Having your offense amped up by defending well is a neat idea.

I just don't think katanas fit that.

edit: Then again, there was mention of a two handed mode, something about a "saya" which may indicate using a scabbard as a weapon. That may be exactly what you're thinking of.

You guys are killing me. The katana is not a defensive weapon but I'm talking about playstyles. Nobody blocks with a katana but they strike when there is a opening that is defensive. Most katana users in anime or games have this style its a common trope and this game is very anime so I can see it fitting. I give up trying to explain but I hope this clears up some confusion. No blocking with the katana or anything.

Mitsurugi from SC has a counterhit move that gives Very high damage from counter hit. Hakumen drive is a parry that gives good damage and can start combos. Hibiki from last blade gives a unblockable slash from close range with a very cool cinematic. Maybe I just played too many games I don't know... But its so common In fighters and anime. I just want to yell out "YOU'RE OPEN" while dashing through Quartz dragon while hes diving at me. :-?

thematesV2
Apr 26, 2013, 02:26 PM
You guys are killing me. The katana is not a defensive weapon but I'm talking about playstyles. Nobody blocks with a katana but they strike when there is a opening that is defensive. Most katana users in anime or games have this style its a common trope and this game is very anime so I can see it fitting. I give up trying to explain but I hope this clears up some confusion. No blocking with the katana or anything.

Mitsurugi from SC has a counterhit move that gives Very high damage from counter hit. Hakumen drive is a parry that gives good damage and can start combos. Hibiki from last blade gives a unblockable slash from close range with a very cool cinematic. Maybe I just played too many games I don't know... But its so common In fighters and anime. I just want to yell out "YOU'RE OPEN" while dashing through Quartz dragon while hes diving at me. :-?

Musashi Miyamoto blocked/defended with a katana.

Acel
Apr 30, 2013, 02:44 AM
Seriously? You guys are actually telling SEGA to infringe on other companies' intellectual property? Not to mention many are terrible ideas in the first place!

Sigh, if only you guys were a bit older, maybe you will remember this from SEGA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrwW9z8szo

HIT0SHI
Apr 30, 2013, 07:05 AM
Seriously? You guys are actually telling SEGA to infringe on other companies' intellectual property? Not to mention many are terrible ideas in the first place!

Sigh, if only you guys were a bit older, maybe you will remember this from SEGA:

Shinobi PS2 - Stage Ex - S Rank - Hotsuma - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrwW9z8szo)

This ^
Shinobi FTW

gigawuts
Apr 30, 2013, 08:01 AM

Shinobi PS2 - Stage Ex - S Rank - Hotsuma - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOrwW9z8szo)

Lol, again with the age thing? Do you make posts where you don't talk about either how much older you are than other people, or other people being too young? Because that's obnoxious. Nobody likes a condescending attitude.

Also, teleporting has been discussed and would not fit very well in PSO2, and teleport-like dashing has already been implemented with daggers - it doesn't work well there either. It's halfassed and not being fixed to make it better than the shit it is.

If we want to talk about Sega's past achievements why aren't we just talking about how the PS series itself has already done many things in the past better than PSO2 is?

Well, we have. For months. And we are way, way past that. That either immediately turns into whining about nostalgia or just slowly kills the thread because we all know it would be better if such-and-such, but it won't happen because PS is now a free to play cash cow, so people just stop replying.

thematesV2
Apr 30, 2013, 09:18 AM
speaking of PS series, I recently went back and looked at visual/art styles for the first 4 games, leading to PSO. It's pretty awesome, you can see how they refined the genre/theme they wanted from almost completely generic fantasy game, to pseudo-science sci-fi neon wonderland they use now. some of the weapons/styles/monsters have been around since ps2. pretty awesome to see some of that stuff going from tiny 2d sprites to full 3d.

thematesV2
Apr 30, 2013, 09:20 AM
also, I find it funny that the 'if you were older' comment references a game from the previous gen console. when I think old shinobi, I think nintendo, and blowing cartridges/cutscenes with non-moving ninja faces.

gigawuts
Apr 30, 2013, 09:44 AM
also, I find it funny that the 'if you were older' comment references a game from the previous gen console. when I think old shinobi, I think nintendo, and blowing cartridges/cutscenes with non-moving ninja faces.

Yeah, I wasn't even going to comment on how anyone in their mid 20's grew up during the NES era of gaming.

More than that, unless games are restricted by year, people can still play games made before they were born. And god forbid your parents didn't buy you the new gen as soon as it came out, so you kept playing the last gen for years after it was rendered outdated.

Age is such a useless and insulting point to even bring up, and really weakens any position someone might try to take. More than that, unless swinging a sword is an IP, no, nobody said to take another company's IP. The exact swings, the outfits, the design of the sword, and the names of the attacks are IP. Swinging a sword fast and running fast is not an IP.

Alucard V
Apr 30, 2013, 12:26 PM
If Sega were to do a single handed "Iaido" approach with a Katana and Saya it wouldn't surprise me. Seeing as many of the videos on this thread so far has showcased the Draw-Slash-Resheath mechanic at work.

But I think I'd favor a two hand Kendo approach to the Katana. A middle ground between Saber and Sword as it were. PSP2 and the Photon Art Infinite Storm is a example of what it could do.
And this would leave are good friends at Sega of Japan with enough flexibility to reskin the weapon class to how ever they see fit.

Sp-24
Apr 30, 2013, 11:51 PM
If Sega were to do a single handed "Iaido" approach with a Katana and Saya it wouldn't surprise me. Seeing as many of the videos on this thread so far has showcased the Draw-Slash-Resheath mechanic at work.

But I think I'd favor a two hand Kendo approach to the Katana. A middle ground between Saber and Sword as it were. PSP2 and the Photon Art Infinite Storm is a example of what it could do.
And this would leave are good friends at Sega of Japan with enough flexibility to reskin the weapon class to how ever they see fit.
Iai bullshit seems to be extremely popular with katana weapons in games. I guess that since katana is so fast to draw, then drawing it all the time is somehow a good idea.

thematesV2
May 1, 2013, 08:26 AM
Iai bullshit seems to be extremely popular with katana weapons in games. I guess that since katana is so fast to draw, then drawing it all the time is somehow a good idea.

yea. this. I don't understand this. I know the action is a reference to samurai duels romanticized as being quick and violent "swords get drawn and blood sprays, and only one man is left" but samurais did NOT fight tons of people with this action on repeat. And honestly, the katana is no faster to draw than anything else, besides perhaps the claymore, or a battleaxe or something else extreme. It all breaks down to the Samurai/Cowboy concept, and you don't see cowboys drawing and replacing between shots.... no, you see them holding the trigger down the rapid pulling the hammer.

Kilich
May 1, 2013, 08:42 AM
Its not drawing that's important, its slashing and drawing being a single move. And as far as I know, fights between samurai were very fast, one strike fast even.

Re-sheathing is needed only if you want to look cool.

Acel
May 7, 2013, 06:58 PM
Lol, again with the age thing? Do you make posts where you don't talk about either how much older you are than other people, or other people being too young? Because that's obnoxious. Nobody likes a condescending attitude.

Just like how you start most of your arguments with your experience crap? I was just mimicking you. Im glad you noticed because Ive been observing you for quite a bit as well.

Also, teleporting has been discussed and would not fit very well in PSO2, and teleport-like dashing has already been implemented with daggers - it doesn't work well there either. It's halfassed and not being fixed to make it better than the shit it is.

I did not say teleporting was a good idea. Dont put words into my mouth, thats what little kids do. All I did was put a link to remind everyone what SEGA is capable of. Obviously it was also to showcase how the normal slashes are done but I forgot kids like you cant comprehend that.

Seriously nobody else seems to have a problem with the way I post except you, because this IS you.

gigawuts
May 7, 2013, 07:03 PM
Just like how you start most of your arguments with your experience crap? I was just mimicking you. Im glad you noticed because Ive been observing you for quite a bit as well.

I did not say teleporting was a good idea. Dont put words into my mouth, thats what little kids do. All I did was put a link to remind everyone what SEGA is capable of. Obviously it was also to showcase how the normal slashes are done but I forgot kids like you cant comprehend that.

Seriously nobody else seems to have a problem with the way I post except you, because this IS you.

Just like how I start most of my arguments with my experience crap.

Alright then.

I'm not even sure what to do here.

Do I have a fan? Or does he just have anger issues?

Punisher106
May 7, 2013, 09:32 PM
i'd like to see them be dual wielded like musashi and yamato in pso, might be too similar to daggers though.

SANGE & YASHAAAAAAAAA *Foams at the mouth*

Alex305!
May 7, 2013, 09:57 PM

Gloats about age...posts PS2 shinobi....

I bet you didn't even get skewered by bamboo traps playing shinobi on the genesis.:yes:

Then I remember 2002 was 11 years ago...fuck i feel old

Massamix3.0
May 7, 2013, 10:29 PM
I like how most of the conversation is about Iai style of swordplay. If you think about it, you already do that in PSO2 with every weapon type. You draw it when performing any attack, with no downtime mind you, and then proceed to slay everything in sight. You only ever really put your weapon back to an idle position after you've been running for a bit. And even if you dash and already have your weapon out, the swing speed is still the same, because there is no drawing animation.

I wouldn't mind an Iai style PA or two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_VogJKAb8, but I'd like to see more of a faster swing speed. Maybe something slightly faster than gunslashes, but not as fast as T.Daggers. If they do decide to have any Iai type PAs, I hope those focus more on bust damage, where as the regular style Katana PAs focus on swift/multiple strikes.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 7, 2013, 10:36 PM
Fast Sword

You think SEGA knows how to make a class?

NoiseHERO
May 7, 2013, 10:44 PM
Should have two modes that swap between single blade, and twin blades.

single blade = hit+run swift big damage single target

twin blade = multi-hit AOE that moves around a lot

iono

Jakosifer
May 7, 2013, 10:49 PM
twin blade = multi-hit AOE that moves around a lot

VELLA

IKUUUUOOOOOOOOOOUUUU

Mikessc88
May 7, 2013, 10:58 PM

I agree with this, I loved the Musashi and Yamato, I wreaked havoc with those

gigawuts
May 7, 2013, 11:00 PM
Well, I don't see why you couldn't get single katanas and twin swords (or twin katanas) too.

But I'd find single katanas more interesting at this point than twin katanas.

Zenobia
May 7, 2013, 11:09 PM
I like how most of the conversation is about Iai style of swordplay. If you think about it, you already do that in PSO2 with every weapon type. You draw it when performing any attack, with no downtime mind you, and then proceed to slay everything in sight. You only ever really put your weapon back to an idle position after you've been running for a bit. And even if you dash and already have your weapon out, the swing speed is still the same, because there is no drawing animation.

I wouldn't mind an Iai style PA or two Guy's Brilliant Overlord - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_VogJKAb8), but I'd like to see more of a faster swing speed. Maybe something slightly faster than gunslashes, but not as fast as T.Daggers. If they do decide to have any Iai type PAs, I hope those focus more on bust damage, where as the regular style Katana PAs focus on swift/multiple strikes.

Love that also to combo off that cool vid from a friend of mine taught me how to get dem combos going also my fav part and I kind a want that as a PA style is at 2:11 so yeah about that....the guy playing is a fucking monster at the game LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAh-9gFmww&NR=1&feature=endscreen"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JAh-9gFmww&NR=1&feature=endscreen

yoshiblue
May 7, 2013, 11:47 PM
They'er going to be oversized so I may as well throw in some Sephiroth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmDWQdrTLfw

Sir Green Aluminum
May 8, 2013, 12:20 AM
Did anyone mention yamigarasu yet? I personally liked the agito's blacksmith quest and the presence of fake/replica agito in the original PSO. Not many games have minutia/quests like those anymore.

Alisha
May 8, 2013, 06:45 AM
i just got an idea from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O16YdUKQzsE

what if theres some kind of effect when you sheath your sword? and sheathing/unsheathing it is the shift action?

The class "swordarcher" only has one skill at the moment, "Katana:FinishUp".

The 6th technique per element is Na- (Nabarta, Nafoie, etc), except Zan, which has Zanverse.

There may be another weapon in the pipeline. There are references to bones for "Saya", one for each hand.

Zenobia
May 8, 2013, 07:25 AM
Would be cool that depending on the element of your sword you are granted some kind special ability towards it as seen here.

First Boss Phase Wind Arte

Second Boss Phase Earth Arte

Third Boss Phase Fire Arte.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd5EicefTFc

Darki
May 8, 2013, 07:41 AM
You can't really compare Tales series battle style to PSO2. If they were to do something like that for katanas then I'd demand the same for all other weapons because if not it'd be unfair. Tales combos and spells are much cooler than PSO2's.

Zeota
May 8, 2013, 08:40 AM
That "saya" (scabbard) plus the bow scream "samurai". Since both hands are mentioned, I'd guess there's some kind of "bash" move (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SheathStrike) in its repertoire. Of course like everything here, it's all pure conjecture based on past knowledge and experiences. The samurai used bows quite extensively (kyudo and yabusame) up until firearms became commonplace.

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 09:02 AM
I think what I'd really like is if they became considerably faster swords in terms of dash+attack being the most efficient thing to do instead of just standing around pressing buttons, and swords gained larger AOE or damage on the level of over end for all of its attacks to differentiate the two more (barring a select few exceptions, like stun concide, and over end does need a nerf of some kind, like losing hyper armor after the second swing).

That, and, if the weapon somehow gives a movement speed bonus, it still applies regardless of the weapon you're holding. I really don't want faster movement speed restricted to one single weapon, especially not if it requires damage or some stupid thing like guarding to fill the gear bar.

~Aya~
May 8, 2013, 09:33 AM
I think what I'd really like is if they became considerably faster swords in terms of dash+attack being the most efficient thing to do instead of just standing around pressing buttons, and swords gained larger AOE or damage on the level of over end for all of its attacks to differentiate the two more (barring a select few exceptions, like stun concide, and over end does need a nerf of some kind, like losing hyper armor after the second swing).

That, and, if the weapon somehow gives a movement speed bonus, it still applies regardless of the weapon you're holding. I really don't want faster movement speed restricted to one single weapon, especially not if it requires damage or some stupid thing like guarding to fill the gear bar.

Equipping katana should do~

- movement speed boost (if only a little)
- teleport attacks (use th rb or whatever button to teleport then get JA chance when you appear again behind or infront of enemy)
- gear should enable quicker charge PA's and get bigger PP return on hits

-

Kilich
May 8, 2013, 09:44 AM
Instead of teleports, I'd rather have sprint, or a dash attack.

~Aya~
May 8, 2013, 09:47 AM

sprint/dash seems like it could be done with any weapon.. just thought teleporting would be cool as other games have been known to do this with katana~

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 09:50 AM
The problem with teleporting is where you teleport. I'm not against it in principle, so long as it's done properly, but how would it work? Would you teleport to the hitbox you have targeted? The targeting system in this game is finicky as all hell. Would you teleport directly ahead of yourself? How would you aim up/down? And then how would it activate? The alt function (guard/palette swap/etc.)? I'm pretty fond of being able to use that button to get out your scabbard and use it with your attacks.

I'm just not feeling it for katanas.

Now, claws, there's a weapon that could be fantastic with teleporting if done right.

TERAGON1996
May 8, 2013, 09:51 AM
Well, I don't care how SEGA make the katana looks like, but I am rather curious how do we get that class
Yeah, kinda hoping for some atks like Vergil. Then again, it will be great if SEGA ever put Vergil's sudden dash slash (which is just dash in front line and uses multiple slashes on the way) in dagger

Kilich
May 8, 2013, 09:56 AM
I doubt we'll have Force Edge attacks, the class will have Bow for ranged attacks.

Zenobia
May 8, 2013, 10:23 AM
You can't really compare Tales series battle style to PSO2. If they were to do something like that for katanas then I'd demand the same for all other weapons because if not it'd be unfair. Tales combos and spells are much cooler than PSO2's.

Wasn't talking about there combos really was talking about the bits and pieces of what I mention from the vids.

Like the move at 2:11 ofc you wouldn't do the whole but give it a short pa style of it like any other.

Also agreed would like if Katana was really fast,accurate,and precise as it should be after all it is an extension of your own arm.

Also I have this feeling some of the Katana's atk's will rq just inputs like a SC style of play to pull of move's just a hunch also for the gear we should be able to self charge it up or something like Partizan.

Zenobia
May 8, 2013, 10:27 AM

Go FO there is your teleport or Blink wing<3

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 10:46 AM
Wasn't talking about there combos really was talking about the bits and pieces of what I mention from the vids.

Like the move at 2:11 ofc you wouldn't do the whole but give it a short pa style of it like any other.

Also agreed would like if Katana was really fast,accurate,and precise as it should be after all it is an extension of your own arm.

Also I have this feeling some of the Katana's atk's will rq just inputs like a SC style of play to pull of move's just a hunch also for the gear we should be able to self charge it up or something like Partizan.

Having gear fill up based on just attacks, and adding extra slashes or strikes to the attacks - faster attacks but more of them for the same amount of time - would be pretty neat.

Just so long as hitstop isn't on them, because then it'd be knuckles all over again.

ShinMaruku
May 8, 2013, 11:30 AM
Katanas should be like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXQyDrQcjo
And yes I know I am being unreasonable because I know Sega will lazy this one out. :P

NoiseHERO
May 8, 2013, 11:34 AM
Katanas should be like
Jubei VS Gisen - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXQyDrQcjo)
And yes I know I am being unreasonable because I know Sega will lazy this one out. :P

D: All they did was shoot bleach attacks at each other and power up.

ShinMaruku
May 8, 2013, 11:37 AM
I can't link the real fights, they keep ripping off each other's clothes and licking men....

Shinmarizu
May 8, 2013, 11:52 AM
Having gear fill up based on just attacks, and adding extra slashes or strikes to the attacks - faster attacks but more of them for the same amount of time - would be pretty neat.

Just so long as hitstop isn't on them, because then it'd be knuckles all over again.

Hmmm.

Gear builds on JA'd attacks, activates and depletes on trigger (like Kamaitachi for DS Gear), allows additional hits per attack (1-3 at 50% strength). Would be nice, but gear would have to accumulate slowly (see Sword Gear). If gear does build up fast, then additional damage would be lower to compensate.

I was wondering if the katana would get a parry function, but right now it sounds like it would behave exactly like Just Guard/Counter. They'd probably get a lunge for their step attack....

The more I think about it, the more I worry that Katanas will be treated just like Hunter's Swords with minor changes. Even the PAs that can be suggested feels like Sword stuff, only with a thin curved blade rather than a huge two-hander.

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 12:10 PM
Oh, there's a thought, have the gear stored like WL and partisan, then when you activate it you get a buff to attack speed & slash count while the bar goes down at a given rate. Hit it again to halt the buff and stop losing gear.

JA would still build it, but the JA'd attacks wouldn't necessarily need to hit an enemy. Maybe even give the animation for activating the buff a brief auto-guard, involving the scabbard (more limited than guard, and incapable of just guard).

Shinmarizu
May 8, 2013, 12:28 PM
I like that. The animation having an auto-guard would be more akin to a parry like I was hoping for. Momentary, and no damage. A skill that would take practice to use efficiently.

PAs would be your standard special moves from every katana-wielding character in any fighting game under the sun. Charging will give additional hits, damage or AoE without being dependent on gear. The problem with that is most of these have already been done as PAs for other weapons. That and I`ve watched a lot of Rurouni Kenshin lately, so I see far too many similarities.

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 01:18 PM
To be fair, most PA's on most weapons have been done on other weapons.

Nova Strike, Rumbling Moon, Other Cyclone, Reverse Tap, and Slide Shaker are all pretty much the same attack with small nuances depending on the weapon. One is huge, two knock back, another stuns, another is chargeable, and another requires a grab to work. But they're all just spinny circle moves.

Katanas can borrow moves and it'd be totally okay, since what makes them original is their unique take on them and their ability to combo a unique selection of moves - there's a variant of rising edge on partisans and swords, but you can't do such a thing on wired lances, for instance.

Shinmarizu
May 8, 2013, 01:45 PM
True. Probably the optimist in me thinking up cool PAs and the pessimist in me saying "Nah, those are too similar and boring."

Hopefully Katana PAs will likely be: a projectile, a forward step/dash+slash, a rising slash, a swing with huge AoE, a series of slashes, a grab attack and a huge but short-range power slash.

I don't quite want to see huge twirly circles. I want to see PAs derived from actual martial arts such that using the katana has a touch of realism and style. Kinda like how fighting games do it. Something a bit more visceral.

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 02:12 PM
Sure, I was just making an example. So long as there's a unique take and it's good I'm all for similar PA's.

BlankM
May 8, 2013, 02:40 PM
Too many interesting things they could do but most definitely won't.

Like maybe the weapon actions sheaths or unsheaths. With different mechanics for both, or unsheathing gives you armor for a bit.

Combine this with different effects for gear, like a speed buff, or knockback when you resheath, or certain PAs that transfer you between the stances mid-combo.

Kilich
May 8, 2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah, PAs with utility would be good. Dash attack, dash through, launch, hit knocked down enemies, short range powerful slash, AoE slash, throw/stun.

Also, didn't datamining find out that every Katana PA will have a lot of modifiers?

~Aya~
May 8, 2013, 03:18 PM
Im hoping for draw attacks and that the katana comes in sheath. Think Kenshin from samurai x. Add his sword drawing techniques to the PA list and bam.. instant badassery. Also.. sheath could have secondary functions such
As using it in a combo or a part of a PA to stun the target for a short amount of time to cancel attacks or just plain hold them still.

Or using it to block/counter

yoshiblue
May 8, 2013, 03:27 PM
They should put in stances and fighting styles for buffs. Though considering its Sega and they did away with unique fighting animations, I doubt they will add unique fighting stances for buffs.

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 03:33 PM
Given the number of modifiers that were datamined for katanas, maybe katanas are going to be heavily altered by the skilltree, like a skill unlocks a fighting style and the fighting style can be changed on each slot?

Sort of like mechguns being used for melee-style attacks and gun attacks, except changing modes in the palette instead of just changing PA's.

SakoHaruo
May 8, 2013, 03:55 PM
here's my attempt at a skill/playstyle...

Just Defense (Parry Mechanic)

It allows the player to parry enemy attacks. after an attack is successfully parried the character will release a powerful single slash that has a decent AOE.

Start up

- no invincibility frames

- small window (much smaller than just guard)

ON HIT

- decent amount of invincibility

- dash cancelable

Animation idea 1

on hit the character will perform a dashing slash attack (appearing behind the enemy) then use the powerful slash attack hitting all nearby enemies.

Animation idea 2

on hit the character will launch all nearby enemies into the air and release a powerful slash attack hitting all nearby enemies.

1- 10 points can be spent on Just Defense

adding points will increase the window to parry

PSA (the follow up) should also have its own skill box with a 1 - 10 point build.

you must spent 5 points on Just Defense before unlocking the follow up attack.

without the follow up (PSA) attack Just Defense is pretty much Just Guard with a smaller window.

GEARS should affect the damage and range of the follow up attack. so a level 3 PSA will be much stronger than a level 1 PSA.

Kilich
May 8, 2013, 05:16 PM
Using PAs as stance changers and each stance having its own normal attack combo, is an interesting idea. Shift action could be used to unsheathe the weapon, bringing the combo amount to the datamined, or at least rumored, 15 PA effects. Excluding the default one.

Shinmarizu
May 8, 2013, 05:21 PM
Sega could really put time and effort into incorporating these ideas and making katanas incredibly fun to use.

There could be a skill tree branch for the iaijutsu style like Aya mentioned, and one for a parry/counterblow style like SakoHaruo mentioned. Switch palette to switch style. Balancing these styles in terms of usefulness would end up being the big issue here. I would hate to have one particular branch or side of a skill tree be the end all and be all, like some classes...

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 05:24 PM
What about coatings for the blade? Maybe element-based, with different buffs to various PA's?

Shinmarizu
May 8, 2013, 05:58 PM
If you are thinking about elemental buffs that can be applied (a la Secret of Mana / Seiken Densetsu 3).... wouldn't that be something neat. Question is, would it be a consumable, or would it be simplified to something using the element % on a given blade as an additional modifier....

gigawuts
May 8, 2013, 06:38 PM
I was thinking like bullets or stances, actually. You enable it at will. Maybe something tied to the gear, too.

Wind could be faster attacks, light could be wider area, lightning could have a chance to inflict stun or knock an enemy down, fire could be a bit more damage, etc.

Maybe even add the status effect to it, too, like Mirage Bullet can do for launchers etc. One gear bar = one elemental coating, and it only lasts either X time or X attacks.

Kierto
May 8, 2013, 06:51 PM
This is slightly off-topic but I can't help but feel that the entire 'SwordArcher' skill tree will be divided much like Force to encourage you to buy multiple trees to specialize in each area. Left side = Katana, Middle = Bow, Right = w/e (techs? passives?).

Like, FO gets away with it because you don't need to invest time/money in to making multiple element and/or 50% weapons like HU and RA do to operate at 'maximum' (but 500AC in each area, lol). Maybe this class will be the epic troll combination of both. Especially seeing as there are bullet skills etc mined for Bows.

I mean I guess it was kind of a given but.. :| (and in a way similar again to PSPo2 Vanguard where you could end up with a lot of masteries to choose from)

phurion
May 8, 2013, 08:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9vl8iAN5Q

This is how katana's should be done. I KNOW it's a rapier in this video. However, the fighting style is much more reminiscent of a katana.

Zenobia
May 8, 2013, 08:56 PM
Would be cool if it had a PA like Partizan Speed Rain but one handed style I even wouldn't be surprised it it had a one flash mechanic atk.

Also I saw that vid before pretty cool.

plasism
May 8, 2013, 10:16 PM
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9vl8iAN5Q"]RWBY &quot;White&quot; Trailer - YouTube[./url]

This is how katana's should be done. I KNOW it's a rapier in this video. However, the fighting style is much more reminiscent of a katana.

I believe in the black trailer, Adam was using a Katana/Shotgun weapon thing. He was also using a style similiar to iai.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKCt7BD4U4

phurion
May 8, 2013, 11:35 PM
I found his style to be quite bland and lackluster. I would have posted the yellow trailer, since that's a much better example, but it's not up on youtube yet.

Drifting Fable
May 9, 2013, 12:24 AM
Oh man dat Adams shotana. Slashing faster than the eye can follow and blastin them full of lead while their mind is full of what. I had a fictional weapon concept like that for a game I was working on way back, so It's lovely to see someone else take on it in practice.

Now I actually want this, despite the impossibility of something like this happening in game. ^^;

Though if the katana is a highly elemental weapon has the PAs have hinted. I would love to see the fighting style change up based on the current element selected. Like say the Fire element would give the user some offensive Jodan strikes or even just applying this for a pa would do. For me, Iaijutsu would do the job just fine from keeping the Katana from resembling too much the other weapons that will have their own japanese sword-esque aesthetics(Weapons like the Akatsuki and Sealed J-sword have always been under the sword weapon class, not the katana weapon class like the Yamigarasu.), but it would be nice to see subtle hints to the other katana stances the katana was founded on.

Alisha
May 9, 2013, 12:40 AM
the katana finish skill to me makes it pretty clear it will work much like asbel in graces.

Alucard V
May 11, 2013, 06:18 AM
Not that I need to say it, but how many people would be disappointed if this wasn't done as a Photon Art?

Zantetsuken
http://www.khwiki.net/images/b/be/Zantetsuken_KHBBS.gif

NoiseHERO
May 11, 2013, 06:45 AM
well since like 30 people already suggested a fighting style with katanas that have moves just like that... yeah...

I'm assuming it's safe to say that sega is dumb if we don't have a teleporting slide-end.

BUT OTHERWISE YEAH!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/282cc02b11570b5e2bf4eb1c9409f2bb/tumblr_mjghq80Rhk1qjyqixo1_500.gif

Syklo
May 11, 2013, 07:09 AM
Not that I need to say it, but how many people would be disappointed if this wasn't done as a Photon Art?

Zantetsuken
http://www.khwiki.net/images/b/be/Zantetsuken_KHBBS.gif
I think KH2's "Duel Stance" reaction command (the one with samurais) is much cooler (cuz the delay's longer, lol)

Alucard V
May 11, 2013, 08:46 AM
well since like 30 people already suggested a fighting style with katanas that have moves just like that... yeah...

I'm assuming it's safe to say that sega is dumb if we don't have a teleporting slide-end.

BUT OTHERWISE YEAH!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/282cc02b11570b5e2bf4eb1c9409f2bb/tumblr_mjghq80Rhk1qjyqixo1_500.gif

I think KH2's "Duel Stance" reaction command (the one with samurais) is much cooler (cuz the delay's longer, lol)

I only bring it up because I find good video of Albel Nox and the (most likely coped) Air Slash/Air Slash of Fury and Shockwave Swirl. :sleepy: