PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else annoyed with the lock-on system?

MistahBlob
May 7, 2013, 01:16 PM
Anyone know if there's a way or tips to get the lock-on to actually lock on to what you want?

It's annoying that it lock's on to what your character is facing and not nearest target.. Hard to know whether or not if your facing the right enemy in third person, especially when there's a couple grouped together... I wouldn't mind it as much if the 'Switch target' button cycled through enemies and not points on the same target.

Ex: Falz arms, your trying to WB one where most of everyone is at instead of one in the other side of the map alone.

Izuna
May 7, 2013, 01:32 PM
Not at all -- you should use the right stick and claw the jump button so you're always looking where you want.

I find locking onto what I want easy, but changing parts on bosses is very strange at first.

Arrow
May 7, 2013, 01:39 PM
If using gamepad: use right stock to go left or right
I never have a problem... And when I do I cancel the lock and re-lock on
<-- melee users don't really care sometimes... (Emphasis on sometimes)

Z-0
May 7, 2013, 01:48 PM
The right stick never wants to co-operate when I try to use it. If I highlight kart's "face" and press left to go to its weakspot (coz I'm at its side), it will either go to the target underneath or target the body. ._.

It's especially bad when trying to move my target upwards on something like Vol. It will cycle throughout the entire body before it targets what I want. >.> Cats are the same. I only ever flick the right analog stick when something only has two targets (or three, coz I can manage with that, lol).

I just gave up with it and started using TPS more often.

ashley50
May 7, 2013, 01:51 PM
Never had problems with it.

Narrillnezzurh
May 7, 2013, 01:55 PM

I would love it if you could lock on to parts through TPS mode. Like, you go to TPS, point something and press Q, and it locks on to the nearest lock point to the reticle.

Arrow
May 7, 2013, 02:00 PM

Cause real men dun need no stinkin' lock on targeting system.
[spoiler-box]http://www.3stylershop.it/jada/media/TreStyler/3Styler/imgitem/stars-wars--keep-calm-and-use-the-force-tshirt-donna-54533-800.jpg[/spoiler-box]

BlankM
May 7, 2013, 02:02 PM
I stopped using lock-on except for a very few specific situations. Such as locking on to Breahda and Kartargot weakspots.

I think the right-stick works okay though. If it was too easy to lock-on TPS mode wouldn't serve much purpose.

Narrillnezzurh
May 7, 2013, 02:07 PM
I stopped using lock-on except for a very few specific situations. Such as locking on to Breahda and Kartargot weakspots.

I think the right-stick works okay though. If it was too easy to lock-on TPS mode wouldn't serve much purpose.

There's no reason for lock on to be complicated to use. If players need incentive to use TPS mode, give enemies weak points that can't be locked onto.

Requiem Aeternam
May 7, 2013, 02:38 PM
I agree that the aiming system can be rather annoying especially if it targets an enemy that isn't the one you want. TBH I'd be happier if it locked on to the enemy nearest the centre of the screen as I always rotate my camera to face the target I want.

If players need incentive to use TPS mode, give enemies weak points that can't be locked onto.

Don't most enemies have weak points that can't be directly locked onto already? For me it just locks on to their main body. I actually want to be able to lock onto enemies weak points. I find it rather frustrating sometimes that you can't do this, especially against larger enemies like King Yede and Rockbears. I guess it makes the game slightly more challenging ^^;

Aquayoshi
May 7, 2013, 02:45 PM
Is there a way to switch targets using a mouse and keyboard? I hate having to keep lock-unlocking to get the target I want.

Arrow
May 7, 2013, 02:48 PM
Is there a way to switch targets using a mouse and keyboard? I hate having to keep lock-unlocking to get the target I want.

off the top of my head, I think it's like tab or ... z? <.>
I keymapped mine different from default so I can't remember right now (and then I use gamepad anyway)

blace
May 7, 2013, 02:55 PM
By default it's tab on keyboard. Though it usually cycles between two or three areas on bosses.

Narrillnezzurh
May 7, 2013, 03:01 PM
Don't most enemies have weak points that can't be directly locked onto already? For me it just locks on to their main body. I actually want to be able to lock onto enemies weak points. I find it rather frustrating sometimes that you can't do this, especially against larger enemies like King Yede and Rockbears. I guess it makes the game slightly more challenging ^^;

Almost every non-boss enemy has a weakpoint that can't be locked onto, as well as King Yedes, Rockbears, Tranmizers, Wolgahdas, and Goronzorans. There're probably more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

gravityvx
May 7, 2013, 03:02 PM
More annoyed with this games bullshit hitboxes than anything.

SakoHaruo
May 7, 2013, 03:40 PM
the only time i really use the lock on system is when I fight hunar or when i use the assault buster to correctly aim at a group of enemies. actually I also use it to lock on shit that can fly because sometimes they go too high in the air. but I don't see a point in using lock on for any other situation.

oh wait.. i forgot force and ranger class abuse the lock on mechanic >_>

If we ever get PvP I hope SEGA disables that sheeit.

Shadowth117
May 7, 2013, 04:30 PM
The right stick never wants to co-operate when I try to use it. If I highlight kart's "face" and press left to go to its weakspot (coz I'm at its side), it will either go to the target underneath or target the body. ._.

It's especially bad when trying to move my target upwards on something like Vol. It will cycle throughout the entire body before it targets what I want. >.> Cats are the same. I only ever flick the right analog stick when something only has two targets (or three, coz I can manage with that, lol).

Works well enough for me, not sure what your deal is there. I'm glad to have any sort of control over where it goes considering the default button does nothing.

But yeah, combo of that and re lock on and I have no issues with it. I think it could be way better, but I can certainly deal with it.

untrustful
May 7, 2013, 04:37 PM
Better than psobb:
[spoiler-box]
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/078/c/f/PSOBB___A_lot_of_Boxes_by_Aldermar.png
[/spoiler-box]

Zorafim
May 7, 2013, 04:54 PM
I'm looking at an enemy. He's looking at me. He's right in front of me. I'm ready to start a long, drawn out battle with him. I hit the lock on key. I turn around and target a dagan about a mile back. I get hit from behind.
Yeah, it's kind of frustrating. And half the classes strongly rely on it.

By the way, shouldn't you be applying weak shot through tps? It's more accurate at a long distance, and you can hit exactly what you want whenever you want.

I would love it if you could lock on to parts through TPS mode. Like, you go to TPS, point something and press Q, and it locks on to the nearest lock point to the reticle.

Yes, please.

Narrillnezzurh
May 7, 2013, 04:57 PM
By the way, shouldn't you be applying weak shot through tps? It's more accurate at a long distance, and you can hit exactly what you want whenever you want.

I always apply WB with a lock on if I can. There's no guarantee I'll hit a banther's face from any significant distance in TPS mode, but I'll get it nine times out of ten with a lock on.

Syklo
May 7, 2013, 11:06 PM
I would prefer it that, when you hold tab/switch key, ALL target reticles are visible (semi-transparent), and you use arrow keys to cycle through them.
Or heck, even just number the reticles, so you go tab+5 or something.

Although I generally just use lock-on to reset my camera (coughdaggers), so I turn it off again if I did actually lock on to something. Banthers' multi-lunge pounce thing is an exception (Lock on - Side dash > side dash > side dash = style)

Mikessc88
May 7, 2013, 11:10 PM
My mouse has 2 extra buttons on the side, one I use for lock on switching and the other I have as an alternate SHIFT Key

AgemFrostMage
May 8, 2013, 06:29 AM
Cause real men dun need no stinkin' lock on targeting system.
[spoiler-box]http://www.3stylershop.it/jada/media/TreStyler/3Styler/imgitem/stars-wars--keep-calm-and-use-the-force-tshirt-donna-54533-800.jpg[/spoiler-box]

Yes third person with the force works wonders especially on rockbear. Doesn't really matter on dessert boss though since he's easy, just gigrants arms and his face, and heal if he catches and throws you. Vol Dragon though, sometimes is best to switch between auto-lock and third person with a force.

Darki
May 8, 2013, 07:05 AM
I don't know what is the mechanics of that system but I really hate it, specially when there are too many enemies. I understand that when a monster has many places to hit, it gets difficult for the game to now where the hell you want the target to go. But it's really troublesome when a monster has like 6 lock-on points and it only jumps between two of them when hitting the target switch button.

I think each monster should have somes ort of "priority" marker on their lock-on areas, so when you target a monster it will always go to these points first no matter what, and when you jump targets it will go to the lower priority ones. Maybe the lock-on button could jump to a different enemy only if you hold the button for longer, so when you got the bitch Ragne locked on and you wanna jump to the proper target, it doesn't go to that krahda that casually passed by (and then stay in a loop because the game gets full retard and will jump between both targets in Krahda's body ad eternum).

Lebensohl
May 8, 2013, 11:45 AM
Never figured out lock on when I started playing, and so I play exclusively in TPS mode (Ranger).

I hope it's not just me, but sometimes I feel the hitboxes for things are a bit... off. It shows up a lot for vol dragon where it is near impossible to WB the horns, even if he is just holding his face still after breaking the tail.

Mikessc88
May 8, 2013, 12:20 PM
I find the horn on his back can be hard to wb, and some weak points cannot be locked on too