PDA

View Full Version : new to pso2/many questions about many things ^^

deusalkaiser
May 8, 2013, 01:28 AM
hello i recently finally caved in and started playing ( or at least installed the game and preparing to play) because of announcement of NA version being pushed to next year( can not wait that long for this game )

anyways here are my questions:

1)
-how good is a FoCast anyways? is it that much of a bad choice? do you get any kind of benefit for being focast? such as race specific weapons/race specific bonus in any way?

-in pso they had race specific bonus for picking classes like fonewm vs others is there such things here?

-how much do race stats differ ? is it as absurd as other games because i noticed cast get extreme penalty for picking force class, was hoping they get some other kind of benefit for he lower magic attack such as more magic defense or the extra hp benefiting you in some way.

-can i make up the difference in magic attack in any way or will the cast be always as the worst of the forces no matter what? ( i just love aesthetics of cast race).

2)

-how are ranger traps in PSO 2 being able to lay down traps ( not to mention how OP they were ) back in pso bb was one of the reasons i chose casts for anything. Did they buff them in pso2 and how good is it to put points into the traps mastery? any trap info is appreciated.

3)
-what the heck does ability under mag does exactly ? and also the various kinds of defenses ?

4)
- i saw someone post this on forum:

"Technique Element Tier List
God Tier
Fire
High Tier
Lightning
Wind
Mid Tier
Dark
Light
Shit Tier
Ice"

how is this true in any way? i keep reading how crappy barta type spells are, i used to love barta on PSO and zonde type techs. What about the new elements ?

5)
-how is the techer class? is this the one for support mage? and how good is the light and dark techniques for this one they look amazing. Or is this a melee mage i am clueless on his one.

6)
-how is class balance now on the game? when i played beta for a tiny bit the force and ranger were top dogs for anything and the hunter class was a bit lacking or not on par with other stuff, i also heard they had a recent patch that buffed/nerfed stuff where can i see this?

blace
May 8, 2013, 01:49 AM
hello i recently finally caved in and started playing ( or at least installed the game and preparing to play) because of announcement of NA version being pushed to next year( can not wait that long for this game )

1)
-how good is a FoCast anyways? is it that much of a bad choice? do you get any kind of benefit for being focast? such as race specific weapons/race specific bonus in any way?

-in pso they had race specific bonus for picking classes like fonewm vs others is there such things here?

-how much do race stats differ ? is it as absurd as other games because i noticed cast get extreme penalty for picking force class, was hoping they get some other kind of benefit for he lower magic attack such as more magic defense or the extra hp benefiting you in some way.

-can i make up the difference in magic attack in any way or will the cast be always as the worst of the forces no matter what? ( i just love aesthetics of cast race).

-Force on cast in general tends to be bad as they lack the T-ATK at later levels. You'll have to make up for that missing T-ATK by creating a mag for it.

-No bonuses for race or gender. Everyone is well rounded and are nearly identical in stats, with the exception for casts and force.

2)

-how are ranger traps in PSO 2 being able to lay down traps ( not to mention how OP they were ) back in pso bb was one of the reasons i chose casts for anything. Did they buff them in pso2 and how good is it to put points into the traps mastery? any trap info is appreciated.

Traps are rather pointless and a waste of SP. They also take time to set the traps up and are not effective on more than a single target.
They're also ineffective against bosses as the effects for them tend to not affect them.

3)
-what the heck does ability under mag does exactly ? and also the various kinds of defenses ?

It helps with damage variance, by closing the gap between your high and low damage output.

4)

God Tier
Fire
High Tier
Lightning
Wind
Mid Tier
Dark
Light
Shit Tier
Ice"

how is this true in any way? i keep reading how crappy barta type spells are, i used to love barta on PSO and zonde type techs. What about the new elements ?

Ice is used only in the caves area. Ice tree is also scarce in any ability that leads any credence to it, whereas fire has decreased charge time for fire techs and lightning decreases PP usage for lightning techs.

5)
-how is the techer class? is this the one for support mage? and how good is the light and dark techniques for this one they look amazing. Or is this a melee mage i am clueless on his one.

In comparison to force, they cast slower and their trees are not meant for damage output. In general techer has the wand and its gear useful for bashing things with.

6)
-how is class balance now on the game? when i played beta for a tiny bit the force and ranger were top dogs for anything and the hunter class was a bit lacking or not on par with other stuff, i also heard they had a recent patch that buffed/nerfed stuff where can i see this?
Hunters and fighters still need to chase their targets while rangers and forces can sit back and blast away. Forces are the cream of the crop with their raw damage outout whereas rangers can take down targets at a relative ease. The only thing I can think of that got nerfed was zonde and buffs being that the hunter stances are more tolerable.

Melee isn't bad per se, it's the distance and how they manage to close that gap within that time.

deusalkaiser
May 8, 2013, 02:03 AM
"with the exception for casts and force"

wow thats kind of lame that every single class is sort of balanced but only cast force gets the short end of the stick, i would be ok with it if the difference on physical/ranged/hp stats were higher for cast than other but from the look of things dam you were right and that sucks a lot. I wish they got creative with it by adding race specific weapons/armors/or ability buffs per race to make up for stat difference like PSO did.

my next question:

A)
-how do technique acquisition work? do you buy level 1 techs and just use them a lot to level them up like in PSU? ( one of the few things i liked on psu was the ability to use techs a lot to level them up )

or is it like PSO ( which sucked for a new player as techniques were hard to find a lot of the times and damage would lack if you are behind on spells )

B)
-sad to hear about barta i still don't understand what you said on explanations on benefits of foie/zonde over barta do each spell get special trait or something? or is the casting speed what you were talking about?

freezing enemy was always a life saver for me before.

C)
-don't mags have accuracy stats anymore ? i don't see it anywhere? back in PSO accuracy was super important or you would miss like crazy. so people tend to make pure mags for this game? with a few points on special for extra dmg? is this the usual builds?

P.S:

also sad to hear about traps they were always interesting but this game did not do them well also? -.- thank you for info. any additional info appreciated.

blace
May 8, 2013, 02:21 AM
"with the exception for casts and force"

wow thats kind of lame that every single class is sort of balanced but only cast force gets the short end of the stick, i would be ok with it if the difference on physical/ranged/hp stats were higher for cast than other but from the look of things dam you were right and that sucks a lot. I wish they got creative with it by adding race specific weapons/armors/or ability buffs per race to make up for stat difference like PSO did.

It's only a year in and episode 2 is around the corner. Dewmans from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity are making an appearance.

my next question:

A)
-how do technique acquisition work? do you buy level 1 techs and just use them a lot to level them up like in PSU? ( one of the few things i liked on psu was the ability to use techs a lot to level them up )

or is it like PSO ( which sucked for a new player as techniques were hard to find a lot of the times and damage would lack if you are behind on spells )

It's like PSO where the discs are aquired as you go.

B)
-sad to hear about barta i still don't understand what you said on explanations on benefits of foie/zonde over barta do each spell get special trait or something? or is the casting speed what you were talking about?

freezing enemy was always a life saver for me before.

Fire techs have reduced charge time as a part of the fire tree, ie. it takes a few seconds to get it charge up whereas it takes less time to get it there. Lightning techs have a skill in the lightning tree that drains less PP when casting lightning techs. Ice doesn't have anything as beneficial as the other two.

C)
-don't mags have accuracy stats anymore ? i don't see it anywhere? back in PSO accuracy was super important or you would miss like crazy. so people tend to make pure mags for this game? with a few points on special for extra dmg? is this the usual builds?

Accuracy is based on your own reflexes. TPS mode, for example, is based entirely on how well you can aim or rely on the auto target system. The only way to miss is if don't hit your intended target.

P.S:

also sad to hear about traps they were always interesting but this game did not do them well also? -.- thank you for info. any additional info appreciated.
Traps are planted into the ground, unlike PSO where you can drop them anywhere and lure your targets into them. The traps also take time to plant as well, and generally takes up time and space as traps are bought.

deusalkaiser
May 8, 2013, 02:39 AM
can someone post a sample build for ranger in general? I would like one with he motto "the best offense is the best defense" or all out dmg as much as possible.

I am hoping on using launcher as a main weapon and prefer spike dmg over DoT

is gunner the best sub class anyways? i just like to use guns only and i hear hunter getting nerfed soon also?

blace
May 8, 2013, 02:41 AM
You'll want to look here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205010) for builds.

Gunner is best as a main class with ranger as sub, but that's only from my experience.

deusalkaiser
May 8, 2013, 04:53 AM
-
why is gunner not a good sub job for ranger anyways and why is the hunter better? i don't get it, isn't having option for mechguns and more ranged attack auto better?

-
how do the ranger blind/etc debuff shots work? is it a %chance to debuff enemy the more points you have on them? and also what do the ability up stuff do on skill trees?

-
how is the partisan weapon in this game? i always loved the spears on PSO but the reality was that greatswords attack difference was extremely huge. The photon arts for swords look boring tho. which weapons are the best for AoE on the hunter side or the ranger ones?

Laxedrane
May 8, 2013, 05:11 AM
-
why is gunner not a good sub job for ranger anyways and why is the hunter better? i don't get it, isn't having option for mechguns and more ranged attack auto better?

-
how do the ranger blind/etc debuff shots work? is it a %chance to debuff enemy the more points you have on them? and also what do the ability up stuff do on skill trees?

-
how is the partisan weapon in this game? i always loved the spears on PSO but the reality was that greatswords attack difference was extremely huge. The photon arts for swords look boring tho. which weapons are the best for AoE on the hunter side or the ranger ones?

-A lot of classes have traits and stances that give % Bonuses Gunner is just outclassed by hunter at the moment in that department due to the sheer number of bonuses it gets.(Hunter is also a little unbalanced at the moment. Very Op To it's competition right now especially as a sub.)

-You load a special bullet into your gun and you fire like you normally would. So long as that shot lands, it will receive that status effect(Unless it's immune in the case of mirage and bind.) For stats abilities you have to be more specific. I recommend checking out one of the several english wikis out there about this.

-Wired lances probably have the best AoE radius followed by partisan. However the majority of wired lance AoE attacks involve you locking down an enemy making it harder to hit for others and locking you down as well in some cases.

Partisan right now is the weakest option for hunter. I personally still use them almost exclusively becuase I like their speed, mobility and style. Their not pathetic but you might feel a bit weak when coming up against people doing over end or that jumping attack from wired lance.

For ranger Launcher is the best for AoEs, it's was how it was intended to be used. Launcher for AoEs Rifles for single targets and mobility. Unfortunately rifles don't hold the first part well at all.

AgemFrostMage
May 8, 2013, 06:43 AM
I can't say for most questions but ice is not shit tier! The damage is less compared to fire, yes, and I'm mostly speccing fire now so I can unlock the extra T-ATK boost, but barta can freeze Vol Dragon in place, but gigrants and jumping is best against his tail. Freezing works great on the volcano planet. There is no good tier/bad tier it all depends on strategic position and the situation. I never used wind so can't make a judgement on it. Dark element can follow targets, so even if they dodge out of the way the PP likely won't go to waste unless it crashes into an obstacle. Gigrants is also an excellent spell, and many things are weak to fire (darkers, which are everywhere, and in the first planet and ice planet) so that is a good one especially Rafoie.

Seizure Bot
May 8, 2013, 01:13 PM
If you go to the build subforum, they've already had the 'ice is not bad!!' debate.

I'm not too keen on Force, but the general consensus seemed to be that while Ice does have a few situational uses, those scenarios are very few and far between. The idea is that using Fire and Lightning techs and skills (I think it was those two?) are powerful enough to carry you through most of the game even when they aren't the best option, whereas the inverse is not true.

The question becomes: do you want to be useful most of the time, or be an expert in a few areas/against certain bosses?

Caveat: if you really love Ice (and I can relate, trust me), then by all means go ahead and use it. It's not one of those things that will severely hinder you. Just be aware it's not the best option available to you, and others will disagree with you on its effectiveness.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 8, 2013, 09:07 PM

1)

2)

3)

4)

God Tier
Fire
High Tier
Lightning
Wind
Mid Tier
Dark
Light
Shit Tier
Ice"

5)

6)

Answering this because I felt there were some inaccuracies or incomplete answers along the way.

1) Focast is by far the worst combination you can choose in the game. where other races have reasonable modifiers to their stats that make them at least useable as any class, casts and caseals have horrible T def and T atk mods that makes playing the class pretty hindering.

Something you want to keep in mind is character stats have very little to do with damage dealt as they're a small percentage of your total attack and defense stats. The problem is that all weapons and armor require a minimum in a particular stat to equip. Rods and talises - the best casting weapons in the game require up to 700 T atk to equip and in order for casts to even approach that, they need to sacrifice other things that DO greatly affect damage. The same is true for armor which will make defense and to some extent damage lower than another race's. There's no way to overcome this. People will say just raise your mag differently, but all that means is at best other stats will suffer and at worst you still won't be able to equip the gear you want.

2) This was answered pretty accurately but to reiterate, traps are nowhere near as good as they used to be and should be avoided unless you want to spend real money on extra skill trees. I should also point out that traps are not a cast ability like they were in PSO, but instead are a trait you can buy into on the ranger's skill tree.

3) It raises your minimum damage since your attacks have a range of damage that they do. the higher your dex, the closer you damage will be to their maximum possible on every attack.

4) This is somewhat inaccurate as wind techs are much more for utility than damage in most cases. ice is in fact the worst element now though as much as it pains me. My first tree as a force was all ice as well until I saw just how badly sega goofed up the trees, so believe me when I say I want to like ice techs and everything that goes with them. The first issue however is that the freeze effect itself is nowhere near as good as it used to be. a single hit even from the same tech that caused the freeze in the first place can and most likely will cancel the status, making the effects extremely short lived. This game also is much more damage oriented than its predecessors, meaning usually by the time you get your freeze effect off you could have killed whatever it was you were worried about or it wasn't that much of a threat to begin with.

This is compounded by the fact that only one area in the entire game has enemies that are weak to ice, making its reasonable damage output very situational, the tree that would make ice strong does nothing for you outside of ice damage as Photon Flare is a horribly useless skill as is Freeze ignition largely because of the reasons above. Lastly Fire and lightning almost always kill everything in 3 hits, tops and if you're playing a good class combination with good equipment it's more like 1-2.

5) Techer is a more close range oriented class that is focused around melee and support over techs for damage. Unfortunately, support is abysmal in this game and is very difficult to justify as it's hard to sustain and does little for you or your team. That's not to say that you shouldn't use support techs, but at the very best, shifta will up your damage by about 7-10% and will last up to 3 minutes(with an investment of 10 SP) if you can get everyone to stand perfectly still for about 20-30 seconds.

techer's melee damage is bad, their tech damage could be great but it means not playing melee (so basically not techer) and unless you have the rarest rod in the game, force will still be better for techs. Wands have lower T atk and lower casting speeds than rods and talises, so while they may have a little versatility to them, it comes at the expense of being good at anything. Oh, and they have very low T def making them unable to equip force armor, so forces tend to have better defense all around even though techers are supposed to be the tanky ones.

6)I think that's been answered for you but as it stands, you can get by as any class and any class combination. You really shouldn't struggle regardless of what you do as long as you put effort into playing. regardless, there are a few classes and class combinations that will basically clear rooms before the enemies can get close, in some cases, before they start to move. So play what you like, but don't complain if you feel underpowered compared to some of the people you play with.

blace
May 8, 2013, 09:15 PM
I thought my answers were pretty on point, but did lack some information covered by your post.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 8, 2013, 09:19 PM
I thought my answers were pretty on point, but did lack some information covered by your post.

Sorry, wasn't talking about you when I mentioned inaccuracies.

deusalkaiser
May 9, 2013, 11:36 PM
for the sake of not making new thread considering I still have some more question here i go again:

"-how does ranger weak hit advanced and standing snipe work?

1) is it mandatory to use TPS view to hit the weak spots? and are weak spots only for bosses and thats it? i noticed a wolf with a red looking weak spot i always thought you could switch target to switch target location on the body. How the heck does targetting weak spot work in PSO2? And also for boss fights is the third person view mandatory to hit weak points? some bosses like the dragon can change targets to the mouth which i am assuming its weakness as it does more dmg but the previous boss would not i had to change to tps mode and shoot the face.

2)what about standing snipe does it work when you shoot in air also? i generally use launcher more on my ranger and its so dam slow you always stand still anyways. how can i tell if stand still snipe is working or not?

3)
what are the general "best" photon arts for ranger weapons?
I am loving the skill that goes into prone position and does a single powerful snipe shot but the skill itself does random damage. Sometimes it does 700 and other time 200. is this where ability come into play?

4) any general way to boost or mag farm faster? i am level 17 and have a level 10 mag and tried to farm on my down time but it takes like 1 hour for 1 level.

Bellion
May 9, 2013, 11:55 PM
1. It depends on which enemy you're up against. TPS is not mandatory if the weak point can be locked onto. There is an action that allows you to switch between targets. Find it in the options menu and look for ターゲット or Target if you have EN patch. I don't, so I don't know what it's called in EN.
2. Standing Snipe works for certain PAs in the air. The PAs that don't move you and make you stay still for a while. Satellite Aim, Elder Rebellion, and Addition Bullet are examples. However, you must use the attacks consecutively in the air. Launcher PAs have recoil that push you back, so that's a no for them.
3. Rifle-Diffuse Shell, Homing Emission, and Standing Snipe. Launcher-Divine Launcher, Rodeo Drive, and Cluster Bullet. Gunslash- Addition Bullet, Aiming Shot, and Thrillerplode. Your 700- 200 damage is due to hitting head/weak points for the 700 and not hitting the weak points for the 200 damage.
4. Feed it 6* weapons if you can.

deusalkaiser
May 10, 2013, 02:24 AM
thank you guys very much a ton of useful information and a lot of appreciated replies.

i raised dex/ability a bit and i can tell a difference now. my standing snipe used to do 200 minimum and max of 700 and now with a bit more dex it goes from 400-700.

crazy people don't put points in it from the guides i read or is there some sort of soft cap or limitations to this.

p.s- whats good about rodeo drive anyways? it doesn't seem to be useful when i gave it a try and hard to control also.

blace
May 10, 2013, 02:30 AM
DEX overall isn't really needed and most rare weapons have a hidden DEX bonus added, with the exception of Red weapons with a -25 DEX penalty. It's mostly useful for units that require high DEX such as the Lux set.

Rodeo Drive on its own isn't all to useful and as you have said difficult to control. It's mostly used for traveling as its faster than running. Dodge cancel out of it near the end of the PA.

jooozek
May 10, 2013, 02:48 AM
lots of photon arts gets much better damage with lv11+ discs, rodeo drive is one of them (http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/others_4.php)

blace
May 10, 2013, 02:50 AM
lots of photon arts gets much better damage with lv11+ discs, rodeo drive is one of them (http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/others_4.php)
There's that, but going with what he has posted somewhere else on the board, level 11 discs are out of his range. For now.

jooozek
May 10, 2013, 03:00 AM
There's that, but going with what he has posted somewhere else on the board, level 11 discs are out of his range. For now.

i just mentioned it so he doesn't dismiss it altogether from just the "newbie" experience

Lebensohl
May 10, 2013, 03:08 AM
thank you guys very much a ton of useful information and a lot of appreciated replies.

i raised dex/ability a bit and i can tell a difference now. my standing snipe used to do 200 minimum and max of 700 and now with a bit more dex it goes from 400-700.

crazy people don't put points in it from the guides i read or is there some sort of soft cap or limitations to this.

p.s- whats good about rodeo drive anyways? it doesn't seem to be useful when i gave it a try and hard to control also.

Yes there is a cap of Dex that depends on the enemy level, after which an additional point of dex does not matter. Once you get near cap you will probably go near or surpass this number.

Rodeo Drive is a Ranger's single most damaging PA (even above Homing Emission), mainly you just have to get the distance right. You want your target to be where you do your loop.

It works better for bigger enemies that move slowly (such as garnagos) so even if you are off a bit you can still get three hits in with it, or large group of densely packed enemies.

It is one of the skills that goes from okay to very very good from lvl 10-11. Additional bullet is another one of those skills, if you use it now you'll be disappointed by the damage compared to your launcher

4) any general way to boost or mag farm faster? i am level 17 and have a level 10 mag and tried to farm on my down time but it takes like 1 hour for 1 level.
Swap out all of the abilities on your mag with HP recovery A (Should be very cheap from the marketplace, you might even have one). There really isn't anything useful if you raise a pure R-Attack mag, and not only is HP recovery awesome, every time it triggers it'll consume 5% energy.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 10, 2013, 08:42 PM

Not smart to criticize people who have been doing all the math and research for you.

Dex is useless after a certain point, you just haven't reached it yet.

Once you hit 350+ dex (which is less than you will have naturally at 60/60 regardless of your race/class, dex stops being as important. it doesn't hurt to have a little dex on your mag, but realistically the only reason to have more than 400 at this point is if you have something that requires dex to equip or you're using red weapons. Even if you are using red weapons it's silly to make your build based on them when the reality is you WILL get better stuff sooner or later.

That said, it's unwise to make snap judgements like that based on the first week of play. lvl 1-40 the rules are very different, especially before you get a good subclass as your stats and equipment pale compared to what you'll be getting later on.

deusalkaiser
May 11, 2013, 04:10 AM
for the sake of once again making new thread and considering applies to thread:

I decided to quit ranger and start over in ship 2 from what i read was where majority of english speakers are. I found ranger a bit boring so ill move onto what i used to play on pso almost exclusively the hunter or hucast.

my new questions:

1)
-I keep hearing mixed reviews from the forums search on partisan weapon, what is the truth of this weapon? i love spear type weapons in the majority of games i play ( even used spears on pso even though it was underpowered ) does pso2 follow through with pso on partisan weapons being extremely underpowered? moreover is the partisan weapon in pso2 any good? even if i intend to +10 and up grind it and enhance it as much as possible?

-what exactly is this "gears" i keep seeing from what i understand it powers up your weapons when you get it on skill tree, whats the difference between the 3? and also more importantly do i really need to get them for all weapon types if i wish to super power up 1 weapon or 2 max?

-how many weapon type do you guys use? can't i just use one for damage and another for AoE? or can i just use 1 single weapon for all times of gameplay?

-photon arts for the weapons which one stands out among them?

2)
-how should i go about in the skill tree? i see guide on forums but it has a lot fo skills i think might be useless if i want to go a "glass cannon" mode and specialize in 2 weapons max ( or am i wrong in thinking this?( i would like to specialize on lance and partisan only )

-do i really need guard stance skill under skill tee this skill seems useless in my mind, can't i just main the damage one only? whats the point in this if i don't want to be more tanky?(correct me if i am wrong) but can't you block and dodge to avoid damage?

-what about just guard and just counter? do i really need these i don't get what they do

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 10:39 AM
what do you think might be useless and what classes are you actually playing?

Z-0
May 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Busy atm, but I'll say:

Build thread is wrong when it says Partisan is the weakest HU weapon. It's most definitely the best HU weapon for the majority of situations (which is, killing enemies on the field), and I'd say the other two are pretty much on par for single target killing, although Sword can be good for AoE too. Wired Lance has strengths but it's quite anti-party and a little restrictive.

The gears "power up" your weapons in different ways. Sword makes its PAs do better things (faster charge, stronger power, for example), Partisan increases the range on its PAs (must get) and Wired Lance increases the power of all PAs.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
Busy atm, but I'll say:

Build thread is wrong when it says Partisan is the weakest HU weapon. It's most definitely the best HU weapon for the majority of situations (which is, killing enemies on the field), and I'd say the other two are pretty much on par for single target killing, although Sword can be good for AoE too. Wired Lance has strengths but it's quite anti-party and a little restrictive.

The gears "power up" your weapons in different ways. Sword makes its PAs do better things (faster charge, stronger power, for example), Partisan increases the range on its PAs (must get) and Wired Lance increases the power of all PAs.

Tbh I haven't played melee with partisans in ages. I know a lot of people feel that they have amazing burst damage and if you look at my current builds I believe I do include partisan gear again. I don't recall ever saying it was the weakest weapon, but I do remember saying it seemed redundant and it's gear was too gimmicky. I'll stand by the second statement, tbh. The gear has its uses but actually charging it in the middle of combat is impractical.

that aside, I realize that assault buster and slide can one shot most trash mobs when fully charged. My personal feeling is that unless you're doing TAs, that's not especially useful since other weapons/PA can two shot trash mobs without charging and aside from very short burst damage, I can't say partisans are all that good, especially when talking about boss fights. WL and sword are much better in those scenarios.

On the other hand, sword is slowly getting outdone by WL especially now that WL can cancel to block and people are getting accustomed to the spacing. Couple that with the new HU tree and how out of the way sword gear is for optimizing damage, and sword becomes less and less enticing.

In any case I'm not sure where I stand on partisans, but I don't feel they've reached the point they need to in order to be something special. regardless if you don't use swords, you really should grab a partisan for flexibility.

Dinosaur
May 11, 2013, 11:39 AM
Tbh I haven't played melee with partisans in ages. I know a lot of people feel that they have amazing burst damage and if you look at my current builds I believe I do include partisan gear again. I don't recall ever saying it was the weakest weapon, but I do remember saying it seemed redundant and it's gear was too gimmicky. I'll stand by the second statement, tbh. The gear has its uses but actually charging it in the middle of combat is impractical.

no

that aside, I realize that assault buster and slide can one shot most trash mobs when fully charged. My personal feeling is that unless you're doing TAs, that's not especially useful since other weapons/PA can two shot trash mobs without charging and aside from very short burst damage, I can't say partisans are all that good, especially when talking about boss fights. WL and sword are much better in those scenarios.

no

On the other hand, sword is slowly getting outdone by WL especially now that WL can cancel to block and people are getting accustomed to the spacing. Couple that with the new HU tree and how out of the way sword gear is for optimizing damage, and sword becomes less and less enticing.

no

jiasu73
May 11, 2013, 11:50 AM

In any case I'm not sure where I stand on partisans, but I don't feel they've reached the point they need to in order to be something special. regardless if you don't use swords, you really should grab a partisan for flexibility.

[SPOILER-BOX] "Partisan is the worst of the Hunter's arsenal. Not a bad weapon at first glance, but it offers very little when compared to the options that Sword and Wire Lance provide. While capable of dashing or jumping to cancel many of its attacks, its damage output just isn't there. In addition, its Gear, which uses stored stocks to extend the range of its PAs is charged not by attacking, but by twirling the weapon. This can either be done by guarding or by allowing your normal attacks and PAs to perform their "flourish" animation after they finish. This leads to a very gimmicky style of play that slows damage by forcing you to cease your attack to refill the gauge, In addition some of its best PAs have to be charged to get the most out of them and unlike Sword, there is no means of speeding this up. Try partisan anyway as you may like it, but if it feels more clunky than Sword and Wire Lance, that's because it is.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

~Aya~
May 11, 2013, 12:05 PM
Werent you in pt with me with my parti?

Itz 9 star falz one and one shots anything vhard unless 56+ large monster and the charge is quick.. the key to AB is position and angle... the gear can make it easier as you have rook for mistakes with the gear built up.

I can go take out three groups of monsters one JA AB after the other before any other class can actually hit anything aside from maybe that stray shot that was originally meant for the initial spawn.. lol..

OE is super strong and yet too slow for trash mobs.. again.. I can take out the entire spawn even getting to them late as the other HU is in the middle of their OE.. (i usually see them cancel third hit all the time because of this!!)

There are two other skills that are pretty good, too... cant remember the names... one targets enemy weakpoints like 99% of the time..

Also note that my chara is a female newnan 51HU / 30FI and with brave stance/up at 7 and wise at 3. No Wise Up atm... yeah.. cant wait to be even more OP with my partisan. Already too easy.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
[SPOILER-BOX] "Partisan is the worst of the Hunter's arsenal. Not a bad weapon at first glance, but it offers very little when compared to the options that Sword and Wire Lance provide. While capable of dashing or jumping to cancel many of its attacks, its damage output just isn't there. In addition, its Gear, which uses stored stocks to extend the range of its PAs is charged not by attacking, but by twirling the weapon. This can either be done by guarding or by allowing your normal attacks and PAs to perform their "flourish" animation after they finish. This leads to a very gimmicky style of play that slows damage by forcing you to cease your attack to refill the gauge, In addition some of its best PAs have to be charged to get the most out of them and unlike Sword, there is no means of speeding this up. Try partisan anyway as you may like it, but if it feels more clunky than Sword and Wire Lance, that's because it is.
[/SPOILER-BOX]

ok? I said I didn't recall, not that I didn't say it. a good amount of that thread is slightly dated and it needs to be updated.

On the other hand, based on what I said a few posts up, I don't see any reason to retract it though. It's a one-trick pony. I won't deny that it kills trash mobs faster than anything else melee's have right now, but seeing as a Ra or Fo will do that before a Hu can even close the gap, I don't see this as a game changer.

Werent you in pt with me with my parti?

Itz 9 star falz one and one shots anything vhard unless 56+ large monster and the charge is quick.. the key to AB is position and angle... the gear can make it easier as you have rook for mistakes with the gear built up.

I can go take out three groups of monsters one JA AB after the other before any other class can actually hit anything aside from maybe that stray shot that was originally meant for the initial spawn.. lol..

OE is super strong and yet too slow for trash mobs.. again.. I can take out the entire spawn even getting to them late as the other HU is in the middle of their OE.. (i usually see them cancel third hit all the time because of this!!)

There are two other skills that are pretty good, too... cant remember the names... one targets enemy weakpoints like 99% of the time..

Also note that my chara is a female newnan 51HU / 30FI and with brave stance/up at 7 and wise at 3. No Wise Up atm... yeah.. cant wait to be even more OP with my partisan. Already too easy.

A- You were running on normal with a lvl 27 Techer and a lvl 28 Ranger. That's hardly anything condemning.

B- I've already said it can oneshot trash mobs, I'd have to be stupid to deny that.

C- You being a newman is meaningless. While they may have the lowest S atk, it's already been stated time and again that race has very little to do with damage as long as you can equip the gear you need. what's 30 S atk at end game? not a damned thing, 2% difference in damage tops.

D- Did you fall asleep in the lava again?

Z-0
May 11, 2013, 12:15 PM
Only bad melees can't kill stuff before Force, since Force is weakish right now (depends what you're fighting for the most part. Mechs with a bolt tree are the only things I can actually cripple before anything touches it. Even then I only do 8,000 if I have +18% from my Photon Tree. That's as Fo/Fi, also, not Fo/Te).

Ranger also needs set distances before it can kill stuff with Rodeo or Cluster, which is actually somewhat close. Assault Buster throws you towards the enemy with a huge range attack, doing 8,000 damage (with the allclass Partisan, I might add), enough to one-shot any trash enemy in AQ. You'll do even more if you're playing HU/FI with a better Partisan.

Additional Bullet is dependent on enemy spawns (eg: bad on mechs, good on forest enemies providing they're facing you, so-so on dragonkin, depends which dragon we're talking about), which can definitely kill some stuff before melee can close the gap.

All I know is, I have 0 trouble actually hitting stuff as melee, despite what PSO-World keeps stating again and again.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 12:21 PM
Only bad melees can't kill stuff before Force, since Force is weakish right now (depends what you're fighting for the most part. Mechs with a bolt tree are the only things I can actually cripple before anything touches it. Even then I only do 8,000 if I have +18% from my Photon Tree. That's as Fo/Fi, also, not Fo/Te).

Ranger also needs set distances before it can kill stuff with Rodeo or Cluster, which is actually somewhat close. Assault Buster throws you towards the enemy with a huge range attack, doing 8,000 damage (with the allclass Partisan, I might add), enough to one-shot any trash enemy in AQ. You'll do even more if you're playing HU/FI with a better Partisan.

Additional Bullet is dependent on enemy spawns (eg: bad on mechs, good on forest enemies providing they're facing you, so-so on dragonkin, depends which dragon we're talking about), which can definitely kill some stuff before melee can close the gap.

All I know is, I have 0 trouble actually hitting stuff as melee, despite what PSO-World keeps stating again and again.

All I know is as a force(despite being underpowered) and as a ranger, I kill things before the melees get close enough to smell the charred bodies.

Anyway this really shouldn't break down into a class debate. I was trying to illustrate that AB still didn't solve the underlying problem for melee, not that one class was better than another.

~Aya~
May 11, 2013, 12:22 PM
ok? I said I didn't recall, not that I didn't say it. a good amount of that thread is slightly dated and it needs to be updated.

On the other hand, based on what I said a few posts up, I don't see any reason to retract it though. It's a one-trick pony. I won't deny that it kills trash mobs faster than anything else melee's have right now, but seeing as a Ra or Fo will do that before a Hu can even close the gap, I don't see this as a game changer.

A- You were running on normal with a lvl 27 Techer and a lvl 28 Ranger. That's hardly anything condemning.

B- I've already said it can oneshot trash mobs, I'd have to be stupid to deny that.

C- You being a newman is meaningless. While they may have the lowest S atk, it's already been stated time and again that race has very little to do with damage as long as you can equip the gear you need. what's 30 S atk at end game? not a damned thing, 2% difference in damage tops.

D- Did you fall asleep in the lava again?

Hey... thats mean! Um..

I do not count the normal runs.. vhard only.

I mention I am newman based on hearing that newman is the worst for Hu class..

I fell asleep in a trap.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 12:28 PM
Hey... thats mean! Um..

I do not count the normal runs.. vhard only.

I mention I am newman based on hearing that newman is the worst or Hu class..

I fell asleep in a trap.

Newman IS the worst race for melee, but the difference is so minimal, it only makes a difference to people who absolutely HAVE to have the best damage output possible. for everyone else, they probably won't even notice a difference.

The only exception to this is are the cases when your lower base stats prevent you from equipping better stuff. the difference in damage between having 1700 S Atk and 1670 S Atk may be small, but if you need 800 S Atk to equip a new spear you found that's clearly stronger than what you have equipped now and you only can get to 775 as a female newman, that cast friend of yours will be able to use that new spear while you can't and THAT will make a HUGE difference.

~Aya~
May 11, 2013, 12:39 PM
Newman IS the worst race for melee, but the difference is so minimal, it only makes a difference to people who absolutely HAVE to have the best damage output possible. for everyone else, they probably won't even notice a difference.

The only exception to this is are the cases when your lower base stats prevent you from equipping better stuff. the difference in damage between having 1700 S Atk and 1670 S Atk may be small, but if you need 800 S Atk to equip a new spear you found that's clearly stronger than what you have equipped now and you only can get to 775 as a female newman, that cast friend of yours will be able to use that new spear while you can't and THAT will make a HUGE difference.

Dont make me come over there again.

Gowai supreme cast race

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 12:41 PM
your old avatar was cuter

~Aya~
May 11, 2013, 12:45 PM
your old avatar was cuter

Ubwaaaaaa...?!?

Im on my phone and it wont let me use custom one... so.. ya.... you stink ;o;

deusalkaiser
May 11, 2013, 03:23 PM
for the sake of once again making new thread and considering applies to thread:

I decided to quit ranger and start over in ship 2 from what i read was where majority of english speakers are. I found ranger a bit boring so ill move onto what i used to play on pso almost exclusively the hunter or hucast.

my new questions:

1)
-I keep hearing mixed reviews from the forums search on partisan weapon, what is the truth of this weapon? i love spear type weapons in the majority of games i play ( even used spears on pso even though it was underpowered ) does pso2 follow through with pso on partisan weapons being extremely underpowered? moreover is the partisan weapon in pso2 any good? even if i intend to +10 and up grind it and enhance it as much as possible?

-what exactly is this "gears" i keep seeing from what i understand it powers up your weapons when you get it on skill tree, whats the difference between the 3? and also more importantly do i really need to get them for all weapon types if i wish to super power up 1 weapon or 2 max?

-how many weapon type do you guys use? can't i just use one for damage and another for AoE? or can i just use 1 single weapon for all times of gameplay?

-photon arts for the weapons which one stands out among them?

2)
-how should i go about in the skill tree? i see guide on forums but it has a lot fo skills i think might be useless if i want to go a "glass cannon" mode and specialize in 2 weapons max ( or am i wrong in thinking this?( i would like to specialize on lance and partisan only )

-do i really need guard stance skill under skill tee this skill seems useless in my mind, can't i just main the damage one only? whats the point in this if i don't want to be more tanky?(correct me if i am wrong) but can't you block and dodge to avoid damage?

-what about just guard and just counter? do i really need these i don't get what they do

while i appreciate the input on partisan and would like to say wow the gears only boost range and thats it? the sword sounds crazy overpowered compared to that if they boost damage/cooldown reduction+ other i never knew but i still don't enjoy it at all as a weapon.

any chance someone would be kind enough to answer any of my other questions specially a build for Hu/Fi glass cannon with partisan gear only or maybe wire lance + partisan, or the one about guard stance/etc.

please don't turn this to a race debate or flame war XD.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
no one's debating race. if you look at my current Hu/Fi builds I have one that is all power and no defense, I dont know how much more you want out of that. You really do want just guard especially if you use sword and WL, but it lets you guard and take no damage. just counter lets you get a just attack after a just guard which is huge as just attacks boost damage by 30% and Hu gets other skills to boost just attack damage even more.

it should also be noted that sword and WL can guard in the middle of normal attacks and some PAs which is why that's such a big deal. there are some attacks that are much easier to guard than they are to evade or give better attack opportunities so to ignore the guard ability entirely is a bit silly.

If you dont understand the builds you should probably ask questions in the thread or play more til it starts to make sense

deusalkaiser
May 11, 2013, 04:14 PM
I appreciate your thread very much and i did not mean to offend in any way if you took it in that light.

that aside to add to my previous questions:

-how how does setting and using PA on weapons work for melee weapons? i am used to ranger having one weapon button to switch between the hotkey on macro. on weapons they seem to switch icon every time i auto attack. this is a bit confusing also, i though it would be similar but ranger button to switch macro palette blocks instead.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 11, 2013, 05:05 PM
No offense taken, it just seemed like you were asking for something but didn't quite see what the builds you saw were going for. if you could get more specific with what you wanted, I or someone else might be able to help you more.

The shift key is an ability key...the reason I say this is that what shift does will depend on the weapon class you're using, not the class you are.

In any case, melee weapons and twin machine guns have abilities that require the use of that shift key, so instead of pressing a button to swap palettes, the PAs are done in sequence and coincide with your normal attacks.

So let's say you equip 3 PAs on your sword. Lets call them PA1 PA2 and PA3. you also have 3 normal attacks with your sword. lets call them NA1 NA2 and NA3. when you start attacking or after you perform a step attack you start from position 1 meaning you will use NA1 or PA1. after you perform either of those you will got to position 2 meaning you can use either NA2 or PA2 and after this you will be on position 3 meaning you can use NA3 or PA3. Once you use NA3 or PA3 you will go back to position 1. if you guard or step your position resets to 1.

So what this means is your combo will always start from position 1 and always starts over after position 3.

this allows you to do something like: Step attack -> NA1 ->PA2 ->PA3

or

NA1 ->PA2 ->Step Attack ->PA1 ->NA2 ->PA3 -NA1 ->NA2 ->PA3

etc etc