PDA

View Full Version : mech gun gears... worth it?

InLieuOf
May 9, 2013, 07:14 PM
Looking for pro tips please. Are machine gun gears on skill tree a huge deal or any different takes on the matter?

gigawuts
May 9, 2013, 07:15 PM
Yes, they're a pretty significant gain in damage for doing nothing but shooting things and avoiding attacks - which you're doing anyway.

RagolianHunter
May 9, 2013, 07:20 PM
I would toss up an opinion mate but I am not familiar w/mechs and their benifits. I R NUB w/guns.

Expect a few of the pro's to post ideas, some really good gun slingers on here.............

Xaeris
May 9, 2013, 07:22 PM
If you're going to be a gunner, you absolutely need TMG gear in your tree. It's a pita to build and maintain, but the 30% you get for a full gauge is too important not to have.

Zorafim
May 9, 2013, 07:27 PM
Generally speaking, you want every gear in every tree you can possibly get. The only possible exception is wand gear.

InLieuOf
May 9, 2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks Gigawuts. I have seen the benefit of gears on other classes like when I run with Ragolian. Just trying to decide if i should remake my skill tree since I added nothing to gears up until level 53 or can I just add from here on out without remaking. I might should have added that I am currently gunner 55/ranger 54

Xaeris
May 9, 2013, 07:31 PM
It's just one SP so you can just pick it up on your next level up, unless you didn't build your tree in that direction at all. Which is a whole other problem.

InLieuOf
May 9, 2013, 07:39 PM
This will teach me to look before asking a question. Thank you Xaeris, I was thinking gears could be added to and not thinking that it was only 1 SP. Was trying to think ahead with upcoming SP i will gain.

Thanks for the input guys! Got my point added just now.

NoiseHERO
May 9, 2013, 07:40 PM
Generally speaking, you want every gear in every tree you can possibly get. The only possible exception is wand gear.

IONO ABOUT THAT

I guess if you only plan on having 1 skill tree ever for each class.

Xaelouse
May 9, 2013, 08:47 PM

you mean partisan gear

Bellion
May 9, 2013, 08:52 PM
you mean partisan gear

Assault Buster and Slide End says hello.

gigawuts
May 9, 2013, 08:52 PM
That extra range can be the difference between hitting another enemy and not hitting another enemy, depending on how far they're spread out.

When going FO/TE, wand gear is just wasted SP.

Skyly HUmar
May 9, 2013, 08:54 PM
you mean partisan gear

I like to hit 10k on a group of enemies with 1 attack rather than just hitting 10k on the two closest to me ;).

NoiseHERO
May 9, 2013, 08:55 PM
Assault Buster and Slide End says hello.

Maybe it's just me...

But yeah the whole assbuster hype is meh without gear. >_>;;

And said gear is easy to fill up, s'only 1 SP.

But something like sword gear when you never use sword, and it costs like I-don't-remember how much SP put into useless skills to get it and then you gotta get JG. Nah son.

And dagger gear it's cheap to get and some people like dagger... But I think you'll never ever HAVE to use them, that alone is worth not puttin' 1 SP into it. Aside from hating the whole weapon in general.

gigawuts
May 9, 2013, 08:56 PM
AB and SE are good without gear on a small collection of enemies, but if they're spread out (which they tend to be in real gameplay) yeah you want gear for sure.

Zorafim
May 9, 2013, 09:02 PM
There are many tough client orders out there which require you use nothing but a single weapon. A more useful example is the SP COs, where you have to kill be in the general vicinity of a boss with a certain weapon (equipped). I say just for those COs, it's worth getting the gear.
Really, are you going to notice the 5% (at most) damage you could get otherwise?

NoiseHERO
May 9, 2013, 09:11 PM
There are many tough client orders out there which require you use nothing but a single weapon.

Spending a precious skillpoint on a once in a lifetime quest, where you can pull out the needed weapon when the boss is right about to die?

Naw

Zorafim
May 9, 2013, 09:21 PM
'kay enjoy your sword training with no sword gear.

NoiseHERO
May 9, 2013, 09:27 PM

I'm enjoying being level 58 without doing those COs to begin with! : D

Galax
May 9, 2013, 09:40 PM

People actually bothered to do Sword Training?

Zorafim
May 9, 2013, 09:50 PM
I actually bothered to do sword training. All the sword training.
Those quests are actually worth their exp rewards. Especially if you can get a group together to get the training done all together.

Esofor
May 9, 2013, 09:53 PM
lol i have no sword gear

i barely use it anymore

then u gotta get just guard omg

rock keepin' it real tho

Galax
May 9, 2013, 09:53 PM
Maybe it's just because I have almost never liked swords. Always too slow. The only exception was PSU, simply because I found several situations where a usage of Tornado Break was more useful than faster attacks.

PSO2 reverts me to hating swords in general.

Zyrusticae
May 9, 2013, 10:00 PM
After picking up Assault Buster level 12, I have never touched my sword ever again. And it may very well remain that way for the rest of eternity.

(at least until I decide to finish off those training COs, anyway)

NoiseHERO
May 9, 2013, 10:03 PM
That new datamined katana shaped sword is the only thing making me consider going back to the weapon.

Assuming it's realistically possible to get it. (which means unless it's an 11* and tower makes it easy to get 11*'s then it's just the usual hunt and never find for 4 months straight scenario = unrealistic to achieve.)

Otherwise lemme know if the new PAs in episode 2 redeem some weapons. <_<;

MetalDude
May 9, 2013, 10:27 PM
Only redeeming factor about Sword Gear is fast building through SA and then mashing boosted OE's out and it's debateable how much I use that now. Partisans used to be shit but we have way more of them now and 2 really good PAs.

And I don't get PSO1 sword hate. No god/battle and low ATA going into Ult sure, but they are by and large better when those are covered. I do like partisans for their ATA, speed, and better sweep but sword range is better.

Skyly HUmar
May 9, 2013, 11:17 PM
That new datamined katana shaped sword is the only thing making me consider going back to the weapon.

Assuming it's realistically possible to get it. (which means unless it's an 11* and tower makes it easy to get 11*'s then it's just the usual hunt and never find for 4 months straight scenario = unrealistic to achieve.)

Otherwise lemme know if the new PAs in episode 2 redeem some weapons. <_<;

Actually rock i dont think tower in general is realistic in terms of hunting. I mean, it is once a day assuming you have 1 character.

gigawuts
May 9, 2013, 11:33 PM
Maybe it's just because I have almost never liked swords. Always too slow. The only exception was PSU, simply because I found several situations where a usage of Tornado Break was more useful than faster attacks.

PSO2 reverts me to hating swords in general.

This is a pretty big misnomer. Swords have always been fast paced due to the tiny window left open. They may have swung slow in PSO1, but that meant you needed to be much faster with your timing and more precise as one mistake meant everything in range of your attack is also in range to attack you.

In PSO2, swords are fairly fast paced - faster than wired lances for instance - because of their limited normal attack range and most of their PA ranges. Maintaining gear requires damage, which in most circumstances meant being mobile to keep striking things. If you stuck to the chargeable PA's only at gear level 2-3, and shift canceled moves at the earliest opportunity (i.e. the target is dead and you don't want to finish the animation), the only thing slow about swords is the person using it.

Zorafim
May 10, 2013, 12:38 AM
I've found that I can't solo some bosses without swords. I'd really rather just use partisans all the time, but their ability to just guard out of everything makes them really strong.

Cyron Tanryoku
May 10, 2013, 12:49 AM
I only like swords
All other melee sucks

Even with Assault Buster

Goukezitsu
May 10, 2013, 12:51 AM
I'm just worried there are hunters running around that don't use sword. Forget the whole not getting gear part lol. Over end with gear is :3 and so is sonic arrow and rising edge and ; ;. This makes me sad. :(

Alisha
May 10, 2013, 12:57 AM
sword gear is garbage. its actually inferior to wand gear in terms of filling it and keeping it full. and thats saying nothing of its location. its a shame because i like rising and nova strike. i think twin daggar gear is equally bad since filling requires passing a certain height thresh hold.

edit:sonic arrow is crap.

Goukezitsu
May 10, 2013, 01:05 AM
sword gear is garbage. its actually inferior to wand gear in terms of filling it and keeping it full. and thats saying nothing of its location. its a shame because i like rising and nova strike. i think twin daggar gear is equally bad since filling requires passing a certain height thresh hold.

I.................................I think......... I think I'm posting in the wrong thread. This is my cue to exit gracefully. ^^

gigawuts
May 10, 2013, 01:44 AM
I.................................I think......... I think I'm posting in the wrong thread. This is my cue to exit gracefully. ^^

Alisha has that effect, yeah.

Alisha
May 10, 2013, 02:01 AM
speaking my mind scares people away? wtf?

Xaeris
May 10, 2013, 02:02 AM

This is an interesting opinion.

blace
May 10, 2013, 02:39 AM
I'll just leave this quote here.

“People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.”

Skyly HUmar
May 10, 2013, 06:18 AM
Well in all fairness i didnt like sonic arrow till after the over end buff (I was more of a other spin and save sword for bosses guy) , it just seemed like it was so weak compared to rising and nova, after the oe buff however i started using double sonic end as a kind of mob clearer whenever the bigger enemies would show up as part of a group.

Syklo
May 10, 2013, 06:23 AM
Well in all fairness i didnt like sonic arrow till after the over end buff (I was more of a other spin and save sword for bosses guy) , it just seemed like it was so weak compared to rising and nova, after the oe buff however i started using double sonic end as a kind of mob clearer whenever the bigger enemies would show up as part of a group.

Combining sonic arrow's projectile manner with Over End's ridiculousness?

Game = Over

Maninbluejumpsuit
May 10, 2013, 08:45 AM

This is a troll, right?

gigawuts
May 10, 2013, 08:52 AM
SA isn't about blunt damage, it's about lining up 8 enemies and hitting them all with one PA.

Reiketsu
May 10, 2013, 09:09 AM
Sonic Arrow is probably the sword PA I'm using the most.
It's especially nice to use during TA when you have set spawn points for enemies and you know they're going to spawn in a nice row, like the wolfs in the Tundra part of Nab II.

NoiseHERO
May 10, 2013, 09:15 AM
Screw Sonic Arrow I have Additional Bullet!

/Goes to lillipa TA

Z-0
May 10, 2013, 10:46 AM
lilipa ta best place for add bullet

hell, all of lilipa is best for add bullet. makes launchers look dope, amirite?

edit: also sword gear is 50/50 for me. Partisan is far better for mob clearing overall, while Over End is a pretty beast boss killer under certain situations. However, Sword Gear doesn't boost the final hit damage of Over End, which is where a lot of the damage comes from, and in situations where I WOULD use Over End, I wouldn't have gear built up and it's not getting built up by using OE, lol.

gigawuts
May 10, 2013, 11:06 AM
OE and fighter really changed sword and sword gear, yeah. Sword gear is not nearly as mandatory as it once was because OE is absurdly good at multitasking even without it, and now a better raw DPS melee weapon exists than sword.

Goukezitsu
May 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
Okay, I do agree about sword gear being slow to charge because it is. But, you can use sonic arrow to charge sword gear faster. When there's a mob of enemies that I'm wiping out with sonic arrow, I build gear with it then switch to over end because now each of the 2 swipes 1 shot which saves pp and can clear out an entire room. Also, on longer boss fights that move around you have to use charged rising edge which is actually really good with sword gear mixed in with over end on down time.

I dunno. I tried it without sword gear and i didn't like it lol. I have a tree without gears for ranger sub.

Alisha
May 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
i came to the conclusion a long time ago that i will never fully like sword because of the way i specialize with my characters.
ex.
human:hu-partisan,fi-fists
cast:hu-wired lance,fi-twin daggars
newman-Hu:sword,Fi-double saber

i also dislike sonic arrow for thematic reasons. i want to be close and in the action not throwing this weak looking sonic boom from range.

Saffran
May 10, 2013, 05:32 PM
Considering how few skills are actually interesting in the hunter tree (the interesting ones are so far down that you can't get them) I wonder what I'd do outside of getting those gears.

Plus, all gears are interesting in their own ways.
WL gear gives 30% more damage to PAs. Good enough in my books.
Partizan gear gives longer reach (banter Snatch alone does ridiculous amounts of damage at absurd range) and is easy to build, so, fair enough.
Sword Gear is a great addendum to swords in general. Easy to build unless you play in an overkill MPA.
Wand Gear doubles your damage output when you smack an enemy. I dunno why it gets so little love.
TMG Gear is a free Atk bonus to make your already ridiculous damage even more ridiculous. Why would you skip it?
TD Gear only shines in certain circumstances, but let's be honest here, the fighter tree has NOTHING of interest. You could probably max out all stances and stats ups and still get those gears, just to not have those SPs sitting around.
DS gear gives great damage and is almost unlimited when you've jumped into the fray.
Knucke Gear is meh but at least it's original and it makes kinda sense. It should have 6 bars.