PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 and other Phantasy Star series name origins and etymology

King_Rappy
May 9, 2013, 07:43 PM
There are a lot of planets and stars in the Phantasy Star games, and chances are you've wondered "What the heck kind of name is that?" or "Why does this sound familiar?" Some of them are probably made up, like Copto, Palma or Dezolis. But there are actually a number of them that have their origins in actual names or words, or even anagrams of each other.

ALGOL:
[spoiler-box]
The most obvious one is Algol, of course. Algol, or Beta Persei is a real star. Well, three of them to be specific. It's an eclipsing binary star system made of 3 different stars (A, B, and C), and because they overlap it appears to twinkle different colors in the sky. Because of its striking appearance, the early Arab astronomers coined it ra's al ghul, meaning head of the ghoul (demon), which later became contracted into Alghul, and then Algol. It was also associated with this in other mythologies: In Hebrew it was known as "Satan's head," in Latin "the spectre's head," and in Greece it was associated with the Gorgon. It is considered the "unluckiest star."

http://i.imgur.com/ycXfwdR.gif
The real Algol.

As a star with a lot of mysterious and dark associations, it seems a perfect fit for the adventures of the original series. The phantasy of Phantasy star is the same as phantasm or phantom, after all. The one featured in the series doesn't seem to be a binary star, so it's always possible that it could be different from the one in real life.
[/spoiler-box]

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE:
[spoiler-box]
Phantasy Star Online takes place on a different planet: Ragol. According to one of the art books, Ragol is an anagram of Argol. (I can't seem to find any English sites with this information, but there are a ton of Japanese ones with it. Go figure.) There is no "R" or "L" sound in Japanese, only a sort of cross between the two that we write in English as "R." Because of this, it can be difficult for Japanese people to tell which is which in foreign words. So when deciding the name Ragol, they used the incorrect "Argol."
To be more basic: they rearranged "arugoru" into "raguoru."

The other planet featured in the PSO and PS0 mythos is Coral, homeland of the human/newman/android races. Unlike the above, here's no official word on this, so the following is speculation.

In Japanese, characters that when written phonetically start with the letters k, h, s, t, and u can be changed by adding accent marks of sorts. Example: ク (ku) グ (gu). So if you remove this "tenten" mark from Argol, you would get Arcol. (Or Alcor, which is actually another real star). You could then scramble the letters to make "coral." Of course, there's always the chance that they just named it after, well... coral.
[/spoiler-box]

PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE:
[spoiler-box]
Gurhal isn't a real star. It may still be an anagram of sorts, however. Gurhal is pronounced "gura-ru" in Japanese, and would probably be best transliterated as "Graal." So why the weird spelling? There are a few possibilities.

The Gurhal system is a parallel/reboot of the Algol system, so it would follow that its name is somehow based on it. But the two aren't anagrams like with Ragol. But if you rearange the letters, you can get the name "Arghul." So, just like Argol is a corruption of Algol, Arghul could be a corruption of Algol's earlier name, Al Ghul.

Gurhal apparently means hibiscus in Hindi but I don't know if that's related.

Another possibility that I found posted on a Japanese message board is that it could be "GLAOR," (or Graol, more accurately.) Graol would probably be "guraoru" in Japanese, but PSU's "guraaru" does sound similar.

Or... arugoru->raguoru->graouru? Maybe?
[/spoiler-box]

PSO2:
[spoiler-box]
PSO2 also has names with clear origins. The planets in the game are all named after actual names of things. Similar to Algol's association with demons, Naberius and Amduscia are named after individual demons.

The Lesser Key of Solomon is a 17th century book (or grimoire) that contains a list of demons and spirits that King Solomon allegedly captured and controlled, along with how to summon them. In the section called the Ars Goetia, 72 demons are listed. These demons are commonly referenced in fiction and demonology, so they may be familiar to some of you. The Diablo and Shin Megami Tensei series, for instance, feature many of them. The planets Naberius and Amduscia are named after two such demons.

Naberius is the name of the 34th demon of the Goetia. It is a marquis of hell, and is also known by the names Nebiros, Naberus or Cerberus. If you couldn't tell from that, he is often depicted as the 3 headed dog, Cerberus, from Greek mythology.

http://i.imgur.com/gm7f8yC.gif
Naberius's sigil. You know, in case you ever feel like summoning him.

Amduscia is named after Amdusias, who is also known as Amduscias or Amdukias. Amduscias is the 67th demon of the Goetia and a king of hell. He has absolutely nothing to do with dragons, so I'm not sure why they picked the name.

http://i.imgur.com/qoGcJax.jpg
AMDUSCIAS: For all your musical unicorn needs.

Upon further research (I.E. Google image search), it turns out that there are also metal bands named Naberius and Amduscia.

http://i.imgur.com/oxVhhQt.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/DHFBi7s.jpg
Maybe someone at Sega is a black metal fan?

PSO2's other major planet, Lillipa, contrarily has a name entirely unrelated to demons. Lillipa sounds like it comes from the name Lilliput. Lilliput was a fictional kingdom of tiny people from the story of Gulliver's Travels. The English word lilliputian comes from that. Lillipa is home to the Lillipa tribe, tiny Jawa/Ewok-type creatures with a rudimentary civilization, hence the name.

The fleet that acts as the home of the ARKS is called ORACLE. Once again, it could be an anagram. it could be another Ragol/Argol type anagram but with the "g" changed once again to a "c," or it could be an anagram of Coral. ORACL[E]. As the human/newman/CAST home base it would make sense.

SPOILERS FOR THE NEXT PLANET:
[spoiler-box]
The new, watery planet that was shown in the CODE:Episode 2 trailer was found by Kion to be called "ウォプル." Wopuru is how you'd pronounce it. Wopal or Wopar are ways you could transliterate it, but what does it mean?

I did some searching and it turns out that there is a possible connection to the Goetia again. ウエパル (weparu) is the Japanese pronunciation of another demon from the Ars Goetia: Vepar. For some reason words with "v"s in them sometimes become "w"s when pronounced in Japanese. An example would be the Japanese word for virus: uirusu. So basically, it could be Vopar, but there's no way to know for sure yet.
The demon Vepar is depicted as a merman or mermaid, so it could be a reference to the planet's watery surface.
[/spoiler-box]
[/spoiler-box]

Hopefully you found this interesting! Are there any names you can pinpoint an origin or meaning to?

Scale of Judgment
May 9, 2013, 08:03 PM
Megid started out in Phantasy Star II, it was changed to Megido in Phantasy Star III, then back to Megid for IV.

PrinceBrightstar
May 9, 2013, 08:44 PM
While not tied to anything directly, each of the main series's names end with the letter L. Algol, Ragol, Coral, Gurhal, and if we take the original teaser, Oracl. Megiddo has biblical ties but it has different meanings depending on which faith you ask. Christianity looks at it as being the plain to the next city while Hebrewism has it listed closer as Har Megiddo meaning a place where people build and rebuild on top of the same spot over and over. Translated today it's known as armageddon.

Gardios
May 9, 2013, 08:57 PM
PSO2 mags are named after constellations. We had another topic regarding spell names as well, but I don't think we ever found anything meaningful regarding Zio and Barta.

Also your talk about Japanese hurts my kokoro, but that's just me being nit-picky. :V

Zorafim
May 9, 2013, 09:20 PM
Algo also means pain in latin, if I'm not mistaken. If not, Algophilia suddenly became a terrible thing to name my warlock.

I think you're reading too much into ORACLE. First off, I didn't know our ship had a name. Secondly, I'm sure it's named after an oracle. You know, a person of high status who speaks with the wisdom of the gods. It's a popular word in fantasy, so it's not surprising it'd be used.

Interesting thread. Let me see if I can add.

Foie started off in PS2, named Foi. I always assumed it was a mutation of the word "fire".
Resta started off in PS2 as Res, short for restoration (I'd assume).
Anti has been around forever, too. At first, however, it only removed poison. So I assume it's short for "antidote".
While Zan goes back to PS2, barta and zonde were names which started in PSO. Earlier games also had ice techniques, named WAT lol and THU. I assumed that zonde was named after ZAN, but I've started to doubt that now that we have both names in the same game. I don't know where barta came from.

Mine aren't as good, but I can at least point out where things started off in the series.

Galax
May 9, 2013, 09:51 PM
Algo also means pain in latin, if I'm not mistaken. If not, Algophilia suddenly became a terrible thing to name my warlock.

I think you're reading too much into ORACLE. First off, I didn't know our ship had a name. Secondly, I'm sure it's named after an oracle. You know, a person of high status who speaks with the wisdom of the gods. It's a popular word in fantasy, so it's not surprising it'd be used.

Interesting thread. Let me see if I can add.

Foie started off in PS2, named Foi. I always assumed it was a mutation of the word "fire".
Anti has been around forever, too. At first, however, it only removed poison. So I assume it's short for "antidote".
While Zan goes back to PS2, barta and zonde were names which started in PSO. Earlier games also had ice techniques, named WAT lol and THU. I assumed that zonde was named after ZAN, but I've started to doubt that now that we have both names in the same game. I don't know where barta came from.

Mine aren't as good, but I can at least point out where things started off in the series.

The fleet is the ORACLE fleet, and I think the big ship in the middle is referred to as the ORACLE Mothership or something similar...I'd have to boot up the game to check that right now, which I'm not feeling up to. Nursing a major headache.

As to the theory on the fleet being named for an oracle, I could see that, considering the view in which people hold beings like Falz. Maybe it was named for something like the first person to communicate with Falz, and survive, perhaps to later strike Falz down/seal Falz away?

Or it could be...a surname, or an organization.

Or an acronym.

O.R.A.C.L.E. instead of ORACLE or Oracle.

Out Reaching Arks Claim Large Entities?

Ceresa
May 9, 2013, 10:53 PM

The names we are familiar with now, since PSO and PSU and on, are what they have always been since PS2 (Except Zonde which did originate in PSO). The English names in the original series was a result of your standard text limitations common in games of that era. Barta was always Barta. The Tsu/Thu line of techs was not ice, but light. Grants > グランツ > GuranTSU, Gra being already in use by the gravity series of techs.

And just throwing it out there, Rune's skills like Flaeli, Hewn, and Tandle, were the names of Alis and Lutz's attack spells in PS1.

Punisher106
May 9, 2013, 11:11 PM
The other planet featured in the PSO and PS0 mythos is Coral, homeland of the human/newman/android races. Unlike the above, here's no official word on this, so the following is speculation.

In Japanese, characters that when written phonetically start with the letters k, h, s, t, and u can be changed by adding accent marks of sorts. Example: ク (ku) グ (gu). So if you remove this "tenten" mark from Argol, you would get Arcol. (Or Alcor, which is actually another real star). You could then scramble the letters to make "coral." Of course, there's always the chance that they just named it after, well... coral.

Do keep in mind that PSZ DOES take place on Coral. Also, you neglect to talk about said planet's moon, Arca. I'm sure that has some significance.

CocoCrispy
May 9, 2013, 11:43 PM
Megid started out in Phantasy Star II, it was changed to Megido in Phantasy Star III, then back to Megid for IV.

I wonder if the "Megido" part of the word has any significance. Dracula in the Castlevania games is known to spam his own technique called Demonic Megiddo. Perhaps the dark type attack was inspired by the Christian site of the ruins of Megiddo, known for having a very bloody history, and could thus be linked to Armageddon? An attack so strong it wipes things out literally everything with a OHKO?

Bit of a stretch but I always wondered what in the world Megiddo meant in video games.

Scale of Judgment
May 9, 2013, 11:58 PM
- The super rare Rod that all forces wish to crave off Dark Falz is called the Psychowand that first appeared as a story vital weapon for Phantasy Star IV. Other weapons from Phantasy Star IV that has yet to make its debut are Elysdeon, Any Neiweapons, Laconian, or
- First appearance of a playable newman was in Phantasy Star II, First appearance of Cyborgs as playable characters was in Phantasy Star III. Phantasy Star I had the only game where you had a talking cat as a playable character. The talking cat is the newman ancestor more or less.
- Rappies were first introduced in Phantasy Star III(Edited for correction)
- Space Colonies were first introduced in Phantasy Star II. However the setting started in Phantasy Star III.
- Hunter guild missions only started in Phantasy Star IV
- Moondew and Star Mist were introduced in Phantasy Star II. They were converted to Moon dew, Star Dew, and new Sol Dew in IV. They became Atomizers in the Online series.
- Shortcakes been around since Phantasy Star I.
- Mother Brain originated from Phantasy Star II, variations came and gone but came back for PSU.

Zorafim
May 10, 2013, 12:26 AM
Sorry to correct you, but rappies were in PSIII. I know this, only because my only experience with the game is being mauled by the first set of rappies I met outside the front gates of the first town.

Also, I didn't realize TSU became Grants. First of all, it's a thunder tech. But, I guess that's explained away by thunder being related to light in japanese mythology (or something?). Second is the name. After hearing Garantsu, it makes sense. But, from tsu to grants, is a bit of a stretch.

raiden55
May 10, 2013, 05:11 AM
ウエパル (weparu) makes me think about Wapol, a One Piece vilain, related to metal. Dunno if there's a link somewhere in their origins.

Skyly HUmar
May 10, 2013, 06:22 AM
- The super rare Rod that all forces wish to crave off Dark Falz is called the Psychowand that first appeared as a story vital weapon for Phantasy Star IV. Other weapons from Phantasy Star IV that has yet to make its debut are Elysdeon, Any Neiweapons, Laconian, or
- First appearance of a playable newman was in Phantasy Star II, First appearance of Cyborgs as playable characters was in Phantasy Star III. Phantasy Star I had the only game where you had a talking cat as a playable character. The talking cat is the newman ancestor more or less.
- Rappies were first introduced in Phantasy Star III(Edited for correction)
- Space Colonies were first introduced in Phantasy Star II. However the setting started in Phantasy Star III.
- Hunter guild missions only started in Phantasy Star IV
- Moondew and Star Mist were introduced in Phantasy Star II. They were converted to Moon dew, Star Dew, and new Sol Dew in IV. They became Atomizers in the Online series.
- Shortcakes been around since Phantasy Star I.
- Mother Brain originated from Phantasy Star II, variations came and gone but came back for PSU.

Actually Elsydeon was in psp2, and nei claw has been arround since pso.

Scale of Judgment
May 10, 2013, 06:30 AM
Actually Elsydeon was in psp2, and nei claw has been arround since pso.

I mean in respect to PSO2.

Angry_Ryudo
May 10, 2013, 06:35 AM
Just a semirelated question:

Since Rag Rappy is related to Ragol and later Nab Rappy to Naberius, is the name Al-Rappy related to Algo system? even though the enemy is from pso.

Gigafreak
May 10, 2013, 07:34 AM
Sorry to correct you, but rappies were in PSIII. I know this, only because my only experience with the game is being mauled by the first set of rappies I met outside the front gates of the first town.

Also, I didn't realize TSU became Grants. First of all, it's a thunder tech. But, I guess that's explained away by thunder being related to light in japanese mythology (or something?). Second is the name. After hearing Garantsu, it makes sense. But, from tsu to grants, is a bit of a stretch.

http://www.pscave.com/ps4/characters/chaz.shtml
Tsu is a Light elemental tech. It's what makes Chaz special: he wields light. (Despite figuratively being rather dim.)

Gardios
May 10, 2013, 07:48 AM
I haven't played PSIV, but isn't Tsu just Grants? Character limit seems to be 5, Grants has 6 so they had to shorten it somehow.

Gigafreak
May 10, 2013, 08:03 AM
I haven't played PSIV, but isn't Tsu just Grants? Character limit seems to be 5, Grants has 6 so they had to shorten it somehow.

Yep. Protagonist of PSII could learn it too. Family tradition of ruining Dark Falz/Force's day and all.

CocoCrispy
May 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
Just a semirelated question:

Since Rag Rappy is related to Ragol and later Nab Rappy to Naberius, is the name Al-Rappy related to Algo system? even though the enemy is from pso.

I'm not so sure about that. The Rag and Nab species both originate from their respective native planets and they're the common form of the chicken, so I'm not sure if the prefix for Al would suddenly reference a system. I guess it could be a continuity nod for the previous series, with Pal referencing Palma but I dunno what El would reference. Elsydeon? I got nothin'.

Zorafim
May 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
http://www.pscave.com/ps4/characters/chaz.shtml
Tsu is a Light elemental tech. It's what makes Chaz special: he wields light. (Despite figuratively being rather dim.)

We're talking about this (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/Techniquepics/nathu.gif) technique, right? The yellow one with the cackle around it which is effective against robots? In a game where light (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/skillpics/efess.gif) techniques (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/skillpics/stfire.gif) are white? (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/skillpics/legeon.gif) Are you sure about that? Do you have anything to back that?

Alisha
May 10, 2013, 04:06 PM
I mean in respect to PSO2.

but elyison is in pso 2 its the 11 star wand.

also...
http://i.imgur.com/ze1HSZ7.jpg

Swaggerjak
May 11, 2013, 04:41 PM
My mind has been blown from reading some of this.

Which brings a question I've always had...

Are there any listings of the alphabet they use in PSO1 and PSO2? Not sure if it's really in PSO2, haven't paid much attention... but I know PSO1 had its own sort of alphabet that you could read if you spent enough time trying to read it. The letters used on signs in town and such.

Anyone know if such a listing exists?

CocoCrispy
May 11, 2013, 11:06 PM
My mind has been blown from reading some of this.

Which brings a question I've always had...

Are there any listings of the alphabet they use in PSO1 and PSO2? Not sure if it's really in PSO2, haven't paid much attention... but I know PSO1 had its own sort of alphabet that you could read if you spent enough time trying to read it. The letters used on signs in town and such.

Anyone know if such a listing exists?

There's this topic that decodes the PSO alphabet: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181179&highlight=pso+alphabet

And this one for the PSU alphabet: http://lovechase.deviantart.com/art/Phantasy-Star-Alphabet-165478934

Oh yeah, and here's the topic for PSO2's alphabet: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195322

Hope that helps! I always had trouble distinguishing the M and N from each other. :wacko:

Aquayoshi
May 12, 2013, 10:17 PM
Has "Phantasy Star" itself ever been title dropped anywhere, in either the classic or the online series? Like, has there ever been an object or entity called a/the "Phantasy Star"?

Aside from the whole phantasy-phantasm connection, the title has always seemed kind of meaningless to me...

Sparzyle
May 13, 2013, 01:37 AM
Has "Phantasy Star" itself ever been title dropped anywhere, in either the classic or the online series? Like, has there ever been an object or entity called a/the "Phantasy Star"?

Aside from the whole phantasy-phantasm connection, the title has always seemed kind of meaningless to me...
I think the "Ph" it's more from the word "Photon" giving some kind of name to make fantasy more futuristic, except that I don't know if the word photon was ever mentioned in the classic series but after PSO...

Also Oracle reminds me of Orakio from PSIII (recently got addicted to that game lol) and learned that he was leader of one of the factions that were on the Ship Alisa III (Alisa/Alis/Alystine/Alicia being another name shared beetwen the series?) and both factions were battling each other because of the influence of Dark Falz

Maybe we get another ship fleet/space colony named Laya (the other faction) in the future?

Also Lillipans makes a reference to the Motavians from PS1 in my opinion, just that they are less agressive, very less agresssive... :/

And finally... King Vardha making a reference to it being the Landrover from PS1
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s667/sparzyle/phantasystarcollection_zps5bd6309b.png (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/sparzyle/media/phantasystarcollection_zps5bd6309b.png.html)

Swaggerjak
May 23, 2013, 07:32 PM
There's this topic that decodes the PSO alphabet: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181179&highlight=pso+alphabet

And this one for the PSU alphabet: http://lovechase.deviantart.com/art/Phantasy-Star-Alphabet-165478934

Oh yeah, and here's the topic for PSO2's alphabet: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195322

Hope that helps! I always had trouble distinguishing the M and N from each other. :wacko:

Just saw this response. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

You are the man.

AgemFrostMage
May 24, 2013, 06:45 PM
I think the "Ph" it's more from the word "Photon" giving some kind of name to make fantasy more futuristic, except that I don't know if the word photon was ever mentioned in the classic series but after PSO...

Also Oracle reminds me of Orakio from PSIII (recently got addicted to that game lol) and learned that he was leader of one of the factions that were on the Ship Alisa III (Alisa/Alis/Alystine/Alicia being another name shared beetwen the series?) and both factions were battling each other because of the influence of Dark Falz

Maybe we get another ship fleet/space colony named Laya (the other faction) in the future?

Also Lillipans makes a reference to the Motavians from PS1 in my opinion, just that they are less agressive, very less agresssive... :/

And finally... King Vardha making a reference to it being the Landrover from PS1
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s667/sparzyle/phantasystarcollection_zps5bd6309b.png (http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/sparzyle/media/phantasystarcollection_zps5bd6309b.png.html)

Then why not just run over Dark Falz if the Land Rover was King Vardha =) Dark Falz 1 is no match for Vardha, hehe =)

Gigafreak
May 26, 2013, 08:48 AM
We're talking about this (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/Techniquepics/nathu.gif) technique, right? The yellow one with the cackle around it which is effective against robots? In a game where light (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/skillpics/efess.gif) techniques (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/skillpics/stfire.gif) are white? (http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/genesis/ps4/images/skillpics/legeon.gif) Are you sure about that? Do you have anything to back that?

http://m.gamefaqs.com/genesis/563334-phantasy-star-iv/faqs/23221

Tsu/Thu series is element 6, Light. It shares this with Rayblade and (hilariously) Megid.

Mechanical foes take regular damage from Tsu/Thu. They take extra damage from element 7, which is far less common-- you'd need Rune to cast "Tandle" (Probably a mangled romanization of "Thunder") to get electric damage most of the time, as Zonde didn't exist in that game. And Tandle's a skill rather than a technique, so it has a limited number of shots per day instead of a TP cost.

Seriously, have you even tried the Tsu/Thu series against Dark Falz/Force? He's weak against it. And the best part is, the animation is lined up so that Chaz is lasering him in the groin (http://lparchive.org/Phantasy-Star-4/Update%2027/53-Phantasy-Star-4132.jpg).

Scale of Judgment
May 26, 2013, 11:15 PM
Then why not just run over Dark Falz if the Land Rover was King Vardha =) Dark Falz 1 is no match for Vardha, hehe =)

Falz could turn human eversince Phantasy Star IV and pilot the damn thing himself...