PDA

View Full Version : Why is Block 20 the English Block?

disaster.report
May 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
I've always wondered why it's Block 20. Is there some special significance? Or was it chosen randomly?

DS23
May 10, 2013, 02:54 PM
It just is. *shrug* 2-20 Sounds/looks alliterative or whatever?

Jakosifer
May 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
*shrug*

Sup Ocks ^^

Drifting Fable
May 10, 2013, 03:45 PM
From what I know, It's simply block the PSO-W community decided to go to since the beta days. A block thats not too crowded but not a ghost town.

Then other communities like reddit and so forth followed suit cementing b20 as the go to english speaking block.

And of course word of mouth picked up from there.

Zorafim
May 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
Yep. We just chose 20 by consensus. Threw a poll and everything.

JCGamer
May 10, 2013, 03:49 PM
everyone on psoworld community choose those two block number but as for me Im always on Block 35 and less players to deal with :D

Zenobia
May 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
But don't you play an online game to, y'know, play with other players?

Aida always remember you have your party players then you have your solo heroes which the guy above you pretty much summed it up. It's how it is.

Psycl0ne
May 10, 2013, 11:52 PM
I started off on B20 & still keep contact with some friends I met their, but have since moved on to B7-12.

Inazuma
May 11, 2013, 12:45 AM
The problem with always using Block 20 is that the purpose for each block changes fairly often, so sometimes you run into problems. Right now Block 20 is for VH Dragon Altar. People will go to Block 20 to do Dragon Altar, and then see that despite the block being full, almost no one is doing Dragon Altar. And it's filled with foreign players who treat it like a chat room and act like they are playing a Western game.

Most Japanese players don't automatically hate all foreigners but this kind of thing does bother them. It's rude to play a Japanese game and treat it like a Western game. Many foreigners modify their client to change all of the text in the game to English, never attempt to learn any Japanese, and can appear as disrespectful by ignoring block names and having overall poor manners.

On the other hand, foreigners who are aware they are playing a Japanese game and who put forth some effort to learn Japanese and Japanese culture are thought of very highly by the Japanese.

However, if you are the type of foreigner that insists on playing this Japanese game as if it were a Western game, sticking to one block is helpful for everyone else so we can more easily avoid you. Instead of having every block be a potential problem, limit it to one. If you venture away from Block 20 to do EQs, don't speak English in public chat during the MPA and behave yourselves.

FO-RA-HUnightv
May 11, 2013, 01:58 AM
Because it is the worst place in the world ;)

Syklo
May 11, 2013, 02:11 AM
Block 20 is the reason Dudu has a job.

Zorafim
May 11, 2013, 02:36 AM
Very often, I hear things like this. We're doing things wrong, our block is terrible, the common thing is the worst thing, etc. Very rarely do I hear reasons why the common thing is terrible. I'm starting to think it's just elitist talk so whoever's saying it can feel special.

Walkure
May 11, 2013, 02:37 AM
The problem with always using Block 20 is that the purpose for each block changes fairly often, so sometimes you run into problems. Right now Block 20 is for VH Dragon Altar. People will go to Block 20 to do Dragon Altar, and then see that despite the block being full, almost no one is doing Dragon Altar. And it's filled with foreign players who treat it like a chat room and act like they are playing a Western game.

Most Japanese players don't automatically hate all foreigners but this kind of thing does bother them. It's rude to play a Japanese game and treat it like a Western game. Many foreigners modify their client to change all of the text in the game to English, never attempt to learn any Japanese, and can appear as disrespectful by ignoring block names and having overall poor manners.

On the other hand, foreigners who are aware they are playing a Japanese game and who put forth some effort to learn Japanese and Japanese culture are thought of very highly by the Japanese.

However, if you are the type of foreigner that insists on playing this Japanese game as if it were a Western game, sticking to one block is helpful for everyone else so we can more easily avoid you. Instead of having every block be a potential problem, limit it to one. If you venture away from Block 20 to do EQs, don't speak English in public chat during the MPA and behave yourselves.
On one hand I agree and try to avoid being obnoxious on ship 10, but on the other hand everything in katakana might as well be moonrunes for me. So I mostly communicate with lobby actions and "w" when something funny happens.

Seizure Bot
May 11, 2013, 02:58 AM
It's rude to play a Japanese game and treat it like a Western game. Many foreigners modify their client to change all of the text in the game to English, never attempt to learn any Japanese, and can appear as disrespectful by ignoring block names and having overall poor manners.

Saying these kinds of things, makes me want to do them more. (just kidding)

There is something that makes me a little sad that we have games, online, able to cross all barriers, and yet we still think in terms of 'Japanese game' or 'Western game'. Isn't it all just a 'Game'?

Seizure Bot
May 11, 2013, 03:05 AM
Very often, I hear things like this. We're doing things wrong, our block is terrible, the common thing is the worst thing, etc. Very rarely do I hear reasons why the common thing is terrible. I'm starting to think it's just elitist talk so whoever's saying it can feel special.

"YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. STOP HAVING FUN. YOU THINK THIS IS A GAME?"

Smithee
May 11, 2013, 03:17 AM

You know except for the fact that Japan is nationalistic. Both in game and out. Not to mention you'll be thought of as a "Weeaboo" by both the Japanese and the Americans if you indulge yourself to far. Not to mention that what you're saying is "If you don't want to learn Japanese you shouldn't play this game." Seeing as some people don't have time to learn Japanese and once this game is Western if it ever is it will be mistreated by it's community and the Western Developers.

Apparently a MMO where you can play with tons of people in a lobby is not meant for talking or taking small breaks. Because it's great fun to play the game when you know no one and hardly speak. Also playing this game with their mentality would be dolling up every female character like a Lolita.

starwhisper
May 11, 2013, 08:27 AM

Somebody said it before me but what is the purpose of a MMO if we cannot meet other players? we need to talk to them to meet them. The lobbies are waiting halls where people create groupe, meet each other, share info about the game and chill between missions. Why should we remain silent like a meditating shinto priest?

Automatical hate of foreigners has a name, it's xenophobia. It is usually seen as a lack of intelligence and/or sensitivity. But in an online game it means a young and influenced player.
"Japanese game", "western game"? Online games are meant to be worldwide which is great! Foreign players also contribute to a game's success, they are customers too. They should be proud to have foreign players in a japanese game made for japanses people.

Players want to enjoy this good action game, they don't want to stuggle with one of the hardest writing ever made. Learning a new language improves your mind and your intelligence but this is just a videogame!

Japanese people are very proud of themselves and very often they consider that they are 10 year ahead of the rest of the world. But online gaming wise they look to be soooooo far behind on many aspects:
-game mechanics : some are good, some are just retarded (10* weapon grind?, rare weapon hunting?)
-updating, and patching of the client
-game balance. Before last update force were unstopable easymode killing machines. After their attempt to balance things out we have ra/hu, the unstopable one-button spamming easymode killing machine. gratz
-meta-game : there is none in this game, only rng.
-online community. Online game = players from the WORLD WIDE web. After reading you, it looks like japanses players did not get over it yet. Western players faced it 15 years ago. We are ahead.
What about SOJ letting people hope for a western implementation when beta was over, and then, every 3 month, saying it is delayed? It's a lack of respect to foreign customers.

Western players but premium sets, AC scratches, new skill trees and mags, etc. Of course they want to enjoy the game! English patch is not an invasion of a japanese game, it's a mark of great interest for the game!

And to finish you must understand that every player wants to meet their friends or new people within the game. They just want to enjoy to multiplayer aspects of the game! Our ways must be different from japanese ones, but the goal is the same: enjoy a multiplayer online game. Or maybe I am wrong and japaneses people log into the game for other reasons?

Syklo
May 11, 2013, 07:20 PM
How did this get so racist?

Cyron Tanryoku
May 11, 2013, 07:26 PM

It generally is

MetalDude
May 11, 2013, 07:49 PM
Forums are a way better place to find teams and getting shit done in general is easier when you're with people who are also directly interested in playing game content. B20 is a mess in this regard and is simply better suited for casual (or ridiculous/racist/nutty) conversations. I don't think it's an awful awful place, but I don't know why anyone would try to hide its generally very unproductive nature. It's just the way it is.

FO-RA-HUnightv
May 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
its a joke on to itself. most new players or temp players gather there. they normally don't do very well, its kinda like barrens chat in world of warcraft.