PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't your friends want to play?

Ryock
May 10, 2013, 06:39 PM
So, today I'm realizing that literally every single irl friend I have tried to get into the game didn't like the game from the moment they jumped in, with the exception of one person. I'm curious to know what reasons everybody else's friends didn't want to play the game, or had trouble getting into it. And I don't mean people who hit the cap, and got bored like a lot of us. I mean people who didn't even hit 15-20, those who quit super early, and never touched it again. They don't have to be very sensible reasons like "oh, I thought force was boring." They can be ridiculous ones too like "Not enough costumes for girls."

Why did I make this topic? Cause I'm curious. I wanna see why some people had little to no interest from the start, no matter how odd the reason. So I'll start.

My first friend got into it initially, but quit because he thought the community was far too introverted, and soloing was boring.

Another didn't want to get into it, because the combat was super boring(this was a bit difficult to understand for me, personally).

Another downloaded it, and every time I asked him if he wanted to play, he was busy, until one day he told me he has no interest because everyone passed him up(we were only 30ish, and attempts to explain to him that I needed to level a low leveled class didn't seem to interest him).

Another I attempted to get into the game seemed interested initially, but then their computer mysteriously fried for the first time in their life.

That's what I got. What about you guys?

UnLucky
May 10, 2013, 06:44 PM
"I'll wait for the english version"

"Too much grinding"

"It's something I want to do but I don't feel like it"

"I don't like how my character looks anymore"

"Everyone else quit"

Emp
May 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
"Im an FPS idiot"

"I dont know anything outside of America"

BIG OLAF
May 10, 2013, 06:47 PM
"I'll wait for the English version."

"I don't understand Japanese and/or I don't wanna have to memorize menus."

"PSU's service/handling was too big of a letdown to give SEGA another chance. I'll find some other MMO to play."

The 3rd one being the most prominent.

Dnd
May 10, 2013, 06:48 PM
"I'll wait for the english version"

"Too much grinding"

"It's something I want to do but I don't feel like it"

top 3 I've gotten aswell as this one.

'Whats the point to playing it, you grind meseta to use it making your gear worse to then grind more meseta slower to bring it back to the same level? that's not fun at all"

Mokyu
May 10, 2013, 06:48 PM
One of my friends based every game they play to WoW
Another friends computer kept crashing and gave up
Alot of my other friends played league and didn't want to play anything else

But i managed to get 3 friends to play faithfully~

~Aya~
May 10, 2013, 06:49 PM
My friends dun play cause i dont have any

Jakosifer
May 10, 2013, 06:50 PM
"No Englits me no pray"
"This game sucks/is boring as f"
"Infinity is better lol"

Chea, chea chea yeah.

ShinMaruku
May 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
"Waiting for Western version"
However they play everything else so I don't mind.

Link1275
May 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
The only person I've tried to get into the game is my cousin, and apparently he only likes pokemon and isn't even willing to give something else a try. What's even worse is he practically refuses to accept newer systems. The worst part is I'm related to him. Basically. The people in the west don't seem to like PSO2, if they fit into one of the stereotypes of the average western gamer(casual, FPS addict, pokemon junkie, etc).

DreXxiN
May 10, 2013, 07:10 PM
Generally people are just waiting for the English version, that's about it.

Maronji
May 10, 2013, 07:21 PM
Waiting for the English version
Don't want to bother with the English patches; want it to be in English without doing anything extra(neous).
Fell behind in updates and too lazy to patch.
Too busy with life/playing other games.

Story of my life. Only person I've brought into the game that plays semi-consistently is my older brother.

ReaperTheAbsol
May 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
I tried getting my older brother into it, but he is too addicted to LoL to give a shit for any other game. He was a big fan of PSO as well so I was quite surprised to see him uninterested in the game.

jooozek
May 10, 2013, 07:50 PM
"you mean majority doesnt speak english? u wot m8"

Dextro
May 10, 2013, 07:57 PM
"Too much grinding"

And this was after taking him to a city EQ like 10 mins after he started and him getting 7 lvls in 2 runs.... ==

Cyron Tanryoku
May 10, 2013, 07:59 PM
I never asked them

Laxedrane
May 10, 2013, 07:59 PM
I got I am waiting for the english version
and probably gonna cause a lot of grr but a lot of friends say "They'll try it when a PS3/360 version comes out."

Maenara
May 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
"Too much grinding"

And this was after taking him to a city EQ like 10 mins after he started and him getting 7 lvls in 2 runs.... ==

Obviously he had tried to grind a 1* weapon with 4 grinders he found in those EQs and failing every single one at Certain completion.

Zeota
May 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
Busy with other games, waiting for official English game, can't be bothered with moonspeak and having to patch after every update, and of course not wanting anything to do with another sega product ever again.

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

BlankM
May 10, 2013, 08:28 PM
"Can't read items"

"Waiting for english version."

"I don't want to play this class to unlock the class I want to play(Fighter/Gunner)"

"These CO's give piddly squat" < - I found this one pretty funny. Tried to explain that Koffe CO's are where the exp is but they insisted on finishing every crap CO they could find. Making the game a complete chore for themselves.

Quatre52
May 10, 2013, 08:42 PM
Only asked 2 so far, 1 played the beta and liked it, but wants to mostly play on Vita, and wants that to be a western release..

I'm sure I can get him back on if I bugged him enough.

Other friend is usually busy with other games/hobbies, but wants to play, I need to meet up with him some time to help him set it up.

Really...I dont ask many of my friends to play, as I know its not really their style of game.

gigawuts
May 10, 2013, 08:44 PM
"i spent all my money and now my item is worse lol why would i play this"

ShinMaruku
May 10, 2013, 08:45 PM
One guy told me because it's from Sega. Then he asks me to play battlefield. Then I make the Kappa face.

striker0
May 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
In some cases:
I'll wait for the english version

In others:
My computer can't handle it.

Sadly, I use those two reasons as well, #2 being the more common one.

The Walrus
May 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
Because the mechanics are fucked up and there's nothing to fuckin do

Syklo
May 10, 2013, 09:03 PM
"Not in english" (That's why you do your homework!)
"Fuck this I'll play DOTA" (Respect = lost)
"Levelling is so slow" (Respect = lost)
"Can't handle it" (Fair enough)
"Solo'ing is boring" (Fair enough)
"I can't solo this, cbf practicing and I needed your help ASAP" (You expect me to spoon feed you to end-game?)
"Dudu eats all my things" (I'm sorry but that's too bad! Tolerance.)
"Did not understand tutorial; got boring" (Fair enough..?)
"Terminology is too confusing/I don't get this game" (THEN DO YOUR HOMEWORK YOU LAZY ASSHOLE!)

Yeah, many idiots.

Xaelouse
May 10, 2013, 09:55 PM
because they figured endgame will just be waifu dressup and idling in lobby before anyone else

and lo and behold

Alisha
May 10, 2013, 10:04 PM
My friends dun play cause i dont have any

this~
or to be more precise. im in my early 30's and all my friend are busy popping out kids and raising families.

Kierto
May 10, 2013, 10:10 PM
"lol F2P"

"lol 5 dollars to change hair color"

"lol grind for hours and hours to make millions of meseta in order to buy a cute costume that was released two months ago so I can be happy with my character appearance"

"lol why is this worse than infinity"

"lol"

Alisha
May 10, 2013, 10:11 PM
it really is sad that infinity had a worse grind yet is better

Jakosifer
May 10, 2013, 10:19 PM
Seriously, having to 200 5 times in Infinity was fun the whole way there. >_>

blace
May 10, 2013, 10:20 PM
PSO had eaten up their lives and don't want to get dragged back into it or were dissapointed by PSU. Or turned off by PSU because of PC/PS2 servers shutting down.

BIG OLAF
May 10, 2013, 10:22 PM

longer grind ≠ worse grind

GeoSword
May 11, 2013, 08:18 AM
Because it's not Call of Duty.

ShinMaruku
May 11, 2013, 08:36 AM

Well infinity was not made by Sega.

Punisher106
May 11, 2013, 09:21 AM
The only response I got was "Waiting for (The rumored) English Version." I try convincing them after telling them it's delayed quite a bit and will likely have far less content. Some friends did change their minds and joined me, but eh.

Grady219
May 11, 2013, 09:30 AM
The first friend I tried to get into the game said that he didn't want to get into another MMO before FF14: ARR, which is understandable.

Another friend almost made it to level 20, then stopped playing because he says I ruined the game for him because I killed everything(was playing on a level 14 force.

Another friend just hasn't played since hitting 20 because he just hasn't had motivation to play the game.

Seizure Bot
May 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
When I explained to my friends that I wanted them to sign up to a game that's been released only in Japan, which involved signing up for a Sega ID in Japanese and downloading an English patch and learning a little basic Japanese language, they called for the men with the white strait-jackets. "Why not wait for the NA release?" They sat me down, and gently explained, "Seizure Bot, you have a problem. You're addicted. To Phantasy Star. Let us help you."

The other half balked since the entire process to get into PSO is admittedly sketchy. I mean, maybe it's just me but when I signed on during Beta, I recall having to be a little disingenuous in providing details to Sega, and client patches are against the ToS, if I recall. I know, I know that no one has been banned using the English patch, but the thought (to them) that the ban hammer could descend on their work ingame still scared them off.

Quatre52
May 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
When I explained to my friends that I wanted them to sign up to a game that's been released only in Japan, which involved signing up for a Sega ID in Japanese and downloading an English patch and learning a little basic Japanese language, they called for the men with the white strait-jackets. "Why not wait for the NA release?" They sat me down, and gently explained, "Seizure Bot, you have a problem. You're addicted. To Phantasy Star. Let us help you."

The other half balked since the entire process to get into PSO is admittedly sketchy. I mean, maybe it's just me but when I signed on during Beta, I recall having to be a little disingenuous in providing details to Sega, and client patches are against the ToS, if I recall. I know, I know that no one has been banned using the English patch, but the thought (to them) that the ban hammer could descend on their work ingame still scared them off.

Pretty sure you dont need to learn any japanese to actually play the game.

Sp-24
May 11, 2013, 09:09 PM
To quote one of my friends: "You and your japanese bullshit again". Lack of PvP was also a popular reason.

To be honest, I don't blame them one bit for either of those.

gigawuts
May 11, 2013, 09:11 PM
The disdain that people here have for their friends for simply not wanting to play an F2P game in another language that relies heavily on typical F2P tactics that doesn't even interest them, and finding perfectly valid reasons worth losing respect over, is really a bit depressing.

The Walrus
May 11, 2013, 09:12 PM
lolmmopvp

~Aya~
May 11, 2013, 09:13 PM
The disdain that people here have for their friends for simply not wanting to play an F2P game in another language that relies heavily on typical F2P tactics that doesn't even interest them, and finding perfectly valid reasons worth losing respect over, is really a bit depressing.

LOL.. thats why i'm all like.. you dont HAVE to learn JP to enjoy this game or play it~
It aint right for someone to tell another person they're dumb or lazy just cause they don't feel like investing time in learning another language or atleast a small part of it in order to play a game~ EFF DAT NOISE!!!!!!! PLAY WHAT YOU WANT AND HAVE FUN! /drops loudspeaker

Zeota
May 11, 2013, 09:13 PM
With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Syklo
May 11, 2013, 10:16 PM
LOL.. thats why i'm all like.. you dont HAVE to learn JP to enjoy this game or play it~
It aint right for someone to tell another person they're dumb or lazy just cause they don't feel like investing time in learning another language or atleast a small part of it in order to play a game~ EFF DAT NOISE!!!!!!! PLAY WHAT YOU WANT AND HAVE FUN! /drops loudspeaker
The funny thing is that some of my friends actually have SOME interest in learning the language itself, yet refuse to spend any time playing PSO2 in said language and instead play other inferior games (assuming this, since I still hear maple-speak from them).

The logic baffles me.

Lumpen Thingy
May 11, 2013, 10:56 PM
its either its not there type of game which I can understand or they want to wait for the english version even though they played PSO and PSU and think SOA will change. I give up when it comes to those friends.

gigawuts
May 11, 2013, 11:02 PM
The funny thing is that some of my friends actually have SOME interest in learning the language itself, yet refuse to spend any time playing PSO2 in said language and instead play other inferior games (assuming this, since I still hear maple-speak from them).

The logic baffles me.

Yeah, SOME interest, as in they might have other shit they're working on and game time is just game time. Or maybe they have some interest, but not enough to actually look into it yet. Or--

I want to say I'm surprised people are negatively judging other people over whether or not they'll play PSO2, but I'm really not.

Jakosifer
May 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
I lose respect for my friends for not wanting to play a mediocre waifu simulator 80

Noblewine
May 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
The grinding would probably be the main reason and the learning curve.

Syklo
May 11, 2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah, SOME interest, as in they might have other shit they're working on and game time is just game time. Or maybe they have some interest, but not enough to actually look into it yet. Or--

I want to say I'm surprised people are negatively judging other people over whether or not they'll play PSO2, but I'm really not.
I'm always negatively judging :) :/

And by 'Some interest', I meant they do spend time learning it through other sources and refuse to use PSO2 as one of them.
I suppose it makes sense if the game itself is that complicated to them, since there are more straightforward ways.

Zenobia
May 11, 2013, 11:27 PM
Yeah honestly what right do we have to judge a person because they do not want to learn Japanese and dun have the time for it whether they have some interest or not.

I avoid the stereotypical judging BS ppl tend to show these days though cause it really don't get that srs. If they dun have the time they dun period there is no need to question that any further whether it be learning it or not wanting to.

Zipzo
May 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
A lot of my friends didn't really want to play PSO2 because it's not a very good game. I, however, am a Phantasy Star Fanboi and will play with a pile of dog feces if it had "Phantasy Star" slapped on it.

Ryock
May 12, 2013, 12:18 AM

I find that a bit bizarre that someone would judge another for not wanting to play this game. In many cases, it's perfectly understandable whether it be the Japanese, the community, etc. There are plenty of things about this game that are simply not enjoyable to others. Wish people would respect others.

Aquayoshi
May 12, 2013, 01:58 PM
-The perceived difficulty in actually getting into the game, i.e. downloading it, signing up for a Sega ID, doing the captcha, getting the English patch, etc.
-Unfamiliarity with Phantasy Star, plus the language barrier, in combination with the above
-Played PSU, hated it, won't touch another Phantasy Star game ever. (He wouldn't even try PSO...) This one frustrated me.
-Being unable to even download the game due to bad internet and a downloader that keeps failing. (But actually, the patcher suddenly decided to work for him, so now he's into the game and this one doesn't really count.)

I really don't blame my friends for any of these. Signing up for the game is kind of a pain, and the downloader sucks. There are too many obstacles in the way for someone to take the leap, especially if they know nothing about Phantasy Star.
Also, from what I've heard (having not experienced it firsthand), vanilla PSU was terrible, so I could see why it could leave a bad impression of the series, even though it's not really rational to judge Phantasy Star by its supposed worst entry.

Mekhana
May 12, 2013, 02:08 PM
Let me see:

-One tried the game leveled until 30 or so but he's always moving on from new MMO to new MMO so it was expected him to quit.
-One managed to start playing but he suddenly stopped though I have no reason why.
-About 15 just don't have the interest.
-This one guy might start playing but he's a DOTA addict and hasn't free time for anything else.

Mahr
May 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
I feel as though my other friends would like to play, however explaining how to DL the game and get the sega ID, to one friend (and figuring it out for myself) was enough for me. My other friends are a bit on the- ADD side as well, I can't ever get them to focus! XD

Gen2000
May 12, 2013, 02:51 PM
Went in this with 4 main friends from other games/just know in general, only 2 survived.

The first two survived up to the lv.40 cap and a little bit around the time before Sega nerfed vendortrashing (remember running around Floating Continent MPA for an hour or so and making half a mil?) and before Fighter/Gunner/Techer first came out.

Basically since the whole game was about MPA'ing that just bored the shit out of them, understandable. They did like the TAs but that wasn't enough especially since game rewarded you more for aimless MPA running better and even now we only got two new TAs since then.

One of them was also willing to throw money at Sega but that was around the time that there was major issues with foreign credit cards so that put one guy off a little more as well. They both simply just didn't find the combat interesting enough even though they both played melee. Between the snoozefest nature of MPA zerging and the fact they both had a taste of Vindictus' combat this too was understandable.

Last 2 survived, got lv.60/60 characters, etc, and waiting to see how Extreme Quest turns out. Not even sure how they made it, now sure I make it at times. One of survivors only log in at xx:45 on the clock to check for Falz, if no Falz he bounces if his TACOs are not up lol. The other guy like most others who still play this game actively is disappointed with the game overall but don't expect any better out of it anymore.

Chunky McMunky
May 12, 2013, 02:58 PM
i tried to get 2 of my friends playing it the first one said that downloading and installing it looked to crooked and the other one, being that hes slightly racist, says that he doesnt play asian made games (but he didnt say it that nice.)

although i myself started playing and got a little frustrated with the grind and the game being alot more complicated than psu. But im looking to get back into it when dumans get relesed.

i miss psu :(

jerrykun
May 12, 2013, 04:24 PM
"Not in english" (That's why you do your homework!)
"Fuck this I'll play DOTA" (Respect = lost)
"Levelling is so slow" (Respect = lost)
"Can't handle it" (Fair enough)
"Solo'ing is boring" (Fair enough)
"I can't solo this, cbf practicing and I needed your help ASAP" (You expect me to spoon feed you to end-game?)
"Dudu eats all my things" (I'm sorry but that's too bad! Tolerance.)
"Did not understand tutorial; got boring" (Fair enough..?)
"Terminology is too confusing/I don't get this game" (THEN DO YOUR HOMEWORK YOU LAZY ASSHOLE!)

Yeah, many idiots.

Thank you, here some internets you earned. I couldn't have said it better.