PDA

View Full Version : Is it REALLY this much grind?

Viauxi
May 10, 2013, 08:26 PM
I'm still brand new to PSO in general, so please excuse any ignorance that may appear be in this post :)

Like seriously? Iv'e played games that are extremely grind heavy before (like the OLD Maplestory for example. My brother got to level 200, I only got to 181)
I didn't think the grind would get this extreme at such a low level. I'm only level 22 and I'm really struggling to level now. Personally I don't mind the grind too much, because I'm use to it, but I feel that It shouldn't be so heavy before I even hit the halfway point (level30)

Is it really this hard to level up or am I doing something wrong?? I'm doing as many client orders as I can but honestly they don't make too much of a significant difference.

I just really wanna unlock gunner subclass already :c (level 30 I think...)

Off topic:
I really need a Team, tired of playing solo all of the time :/

I play allot of PvP games so I like productive, organized, and/or competitive guilds/groups/clans..just my first choice, but I don't think this is a competitive or PvP game (I'm still a massive PSO noob so idk...)

I'm still perfectly fine with "just for fun" or chill groups, specially since I'm playing a foreign game like this.

Link1275
May 10, 2013, 08:41 PM
I'm still brand new to PSO in general, so please excuse any ignorance that may appear be in this post :)

Like seriously? Iv'e played games that are extremely grind heavy before (like the OLD Maplestory for example. My brother got to level 200, I only got to 181)
I didn't think the grind would get this extreme at such a low level. I'm only level 22 and I'm really struggling to level now. Personally I don't mind the grind too much, because I'm use to it, but I feel that It shouldn't be so heavy before I even hit the halfway point (level30)

Is it really this hard to level up or am I doing something wrong?? I'm doing as many client orders as I can but honestly they don't make too much of a significant difference.

I just really wanna unlock gunner subclass already :c (level 30 I think...)

Off topic:

I play allot of PvP games so I like productive, organized, and/or competitive guilds/groups/clans..just my first choice, but I don't think this is a competitive or PvP game (I'm still a massive PSO noob so idk...)

I'm still perfectly fine with "just for fun" or chill groups, specially since I'm playing a foreign game like this.
If you' play any other PS games you'd know that the first level up usually doesn't take 150 exp. PSO and PSP2/I started you off at a measly 50, and went clear to 99 million, 999 thousand, 999 exp at level 200. PSO2 starts you off needing higher than any other PS game to date, and you're in the million+ exp range by 40-50 so this is a lot of grinding.

You're also just going into the hardest grind of the game. You're at the part where you start to need a significant amount of experience and you can't find any MPAs to grind yet. Just keep grabbing COs and MPAs and you'll get to 30 move on to Hard, and find that the you can now gain 1-3 levels a day if you play a lot every day you can hit 40 in a week and be going on to the 50-60 grind fairly fast.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
if you're just starting out you should be able to get to lvl 40 very quickly just by doing COs. When i made my second account I got to 46 in less than a week just turning in COs and playing normally, usually solo.

If you play regularly, lvl 60 will come shortly after as long as you do EQs and use exp boosters.

when I was actually online I was getting 600k-1.2m exp a day just running AQs in a full party. If you feel 22 is a struggle you're doing something wrong.

gigawuts
May 10, 2013, 08:48 PM
The 20-30 bracket has always been the worst, even when 30 was the cap. There's a general lack of level-appropriate content, CO's kind of peter out etc. It picks up again after 30.

Try the recent levels on normal difficulty, there's lots and lots of enemies in those maps so that experience adds up.

CocoCrispy
May 10, 2013, 08:48 PM
I'd also like to add that I've felt the many of the PSO related games have always been a social grinding/item hunt session, in my opinion. While this game tends to wall you in on the earlier levels more so than its previous iterations, once you hit the mid to high levels you start getting opened up to new challenges and opportunities which I think kind of hurts the appeal of the game to the curious casual player. It is really easy to get burned out trying to merely unlock hard! That doesn't even count once you've unlocked everything and no longer have anything else to do besides grind grind grind and possibly donating to the Doodster fund for music videos.

I suggest finding a group of people to play with and running with them often. It will really take your mind (somewhat) off the grindfest and ya'll can make up your own shenanigans and help each other hunt for rares. There are plenty of interesting teams to choose from in the Player Matchup section of these forums, so do check them out! Hope it goes well for you. :3

SociableTyrannosaur
May 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
The 20-30 bracket has always been the worst, even when 30 was the cap. There's a general lack of level-appropriate content, CO's kind of peter out etc. It picks up again after 30.

Try the recent levels on normal difficulty, there's lots and lots of enemies in those maps so that experience adds up.

That true for your second time through since you've exhausted all of koffie's COs, but i didn't even remember BEING level 20 on Myria it went by so fast.

Reiketsu
May 10, 2013, 08:53 PM
There's also an exp penalty if enemies are too strong. Just because you can unlock Hard Mode at 19 and can do it at lv 20 doesn't mean you should (the whole unlocking system in this game is so fucked up).
At lv 20 Hard Mode enemies only give you half as much exp as they do in Normal.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 10, 2013, 08:58 PM
^that's true at 22 you should be doing like...normal tundra and maybe normal mines.

MetalDude
May 10, 2013, 09:10 PM
Compared to setting up a new character with good equipment and blasting to 80 in a day in PSO, it feels obscenely slow just starting fresh in this game. COs are (very unfortunately) a huge part of the grinding experience so make sure to do most of them.

Smithee
May 10, 2013, 09:14 PM
Koffie's CO's should shoot you straight to 25 atleast. What Ship are you on?

SociableTyrannosaur
May 10, 2013, 09:16 PM
Compared to setting up a new character with good equipment and blasting to 80 in a day in PSO, it feels obscenely slow just starting fresh in this game. COs are (very unfortunately) a huge part of the grinding experience so make sure to do most of them.

that's coming from having a ton of good stuff so you can almost one shot the stuff in vhard at 10, then spamming stuff like EN3 and TTF. it was practically cheating.

MetalDude
May 10, 2013, 09:18 PM
Sooo good. You can sometimes watch the accomplishments thread on ****serv and see people get to 130+ in 24 hours.

oratank
May 10, 2013, 09:28 PM
my new character hit lv 30 in a few days
try to do some hard co from 2 girl in shop area and weather co from glasses guy

Kierto
May 10, 2013, 09:30 PM
Don't worry, EXP Scaling returns in Very Hard Mode to make your life a chore!

Level 40? Congrats!
Go join that level 55 Sanctum MPA (because there aren't any others unless you get lucky with Ruins) for 29EXP a mob!
EQ announced? Great! Level 50 Desert? Enjoy your 500EXP Wolghadas!

Level 45? GJ!
Go join that new exciting Advance Quest mission type that just unlocked for you and receive heavily nerfed experience until level 51. Or even later if you dare to complete the quest and raise enemy level/party with others on a higher risk! Level 60 stage 3 infected mob? Enjoy your 198EXP! Sorry!

Even the difference between Falz Arms at 44 and 45 is like 11000 -> 17000 (assuming 75% EXP ticket and full party).

Be level 55~ in a high risk AQ and you will make progress towards your next level quicker than if you were say 50, and doing the exact same task at the exact same speed (strictly speaking it should be more of a 'challenge' but there is none and everything dies if you do it right). It really makes sense!

EXP Scaling is just bullshit.

Z-0
May 10, 2013, 09:33 PM
I will add that EXP Scaling is one level less than you think (it starts when you are 5 levels apart, so level 55s will get 75% EXP from level 60 enemies).

Logic. o/

Smithee
May 10, 2013, 09:39 PM
The best part is. 40-60 is completely easy and I have no idea what these people speak of.

The Walrus
May 10, 2013, 09:44 PM
If you do nothing but MPA's sure

Alisha
May 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
i stopped playing my main when she hit 50 Te
got my cast to 30 then unlocked Fi and also sputtered in the mid 20's

Viauxi
May 10, 2013, 10:06 PM
I had a feeling that lv20-30 would be annoyingly difficult. Now, I just...really need a Team to play with :P. Can I join someones team, or can someone help me? Char name is Viauxi and I'm on ship02.

And when do I unlock the subclass? is it level 20 or level30? (really confused about this)

The Walrus
May 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
20. It's an order from Koffie

Mekhana
May 10, 2013, 10:31 PM
Leveling in this game can be a little time intensive however it's quite easy to level here considering there is no EXP penalty and such.

Also it becomes much easier once you have VH unlocked.

Zipzo
May 10, 2013, 10:42 PM
Pick a different forum avatar and I will assist you.

Rien
May 10, 2013, 10:48 PM
You thought grinding for levels was bad?

Try grinding for rare weapons

Viauxi
May 10, 2013, 10:55 PM
Pick a different forum avatar and I will assist you.

...Please help me? :c

poopington
May 10, 2013, 11:27 PM
the early levels kinda suck until you hit 40 and can do VH. Even then a lot of people are lazy and never want to do anything. What ship do you play on? Unless my friends are on (and they've been eaten alive by warframe) I'm usually doing nothing.

SociableTyrannosaur
May 10, 2013, 11:55 PM
I had a feeling that lv20-30 would be annoyingly difficult. Now, I just...really need a Team to play with :P. Can I join someones team, or can someone help me? Char name is Viauxi and I'm on ship02.

And when do I unlock the subclass? is it level 20 or level30? (really confused about this)

you're probably confused cause you don't know what a subclass is. i talk about all this stuff in my build thread.

AgemFrostMage
May 11, 2013, 05:37 AM
There's also an exp penalty if enemies are too strong. Just because you can unlock Hard Mode at 19 and can do it at lv 20 doesn't mean you should (the whole unlocking system in this game is so fucked up).
At lv 20 Hard Mode enemies only give you half as much exp as they do in Normal.

They should get rid of the penalty if one can defeat something 10 levels higher then they deserve the full reward.

Neith
May 11, 2013, 06:43 AM
Grind client orders if you want to level quicker. It still isn't fast but it certainly helps.

The game is much more of a grind than the original PSO; at 50+ you need way over 1 million EXP for each level; then consider that Lv200 in PSO was 83,227,600 EXP (with the final level taking about 4 million or so?) and you can see that the grind in PSO2 accelerates quickly.

The funny thing is that because of the difficulties, some level ranges are easier despite requiring more EXP. For example when going from Normal to Hard you're better off running later Normal areas because Hard monsters will be more of a challenge for the same (or less if penalized) EXP.

Also, make sure to run Emergency Missions when they happen; because they have lots of Emergency Codes in them it gives a decent amount of EXP.

Everything in PSO2 is more of a grind though, good luck if you ever want to hunt a rare weapon... (Gwanahda Nero, Demolition Comet please :disapprove: )

Rien
May 11, 2013, 07:19 AM
(Gwanahda Nero, Demolition Comet please :disapprove: )

My dragon slayer, wher?!?

Macman
May 11, 2013, 09:13 AM
Comparing PSO2's grind to PSO1 purely by EXP requirements.
You folks realize that even though PSO2 has you hitting the millions before even 50, that you're also usually pulling in EXP at a faster rate than you ever would in PSO1, right?

A good AQ map can net you 100,000 to 200,000 EXP within the span of 30-45 minutes. Most runs in Ultimate in PSO1 struggle to even break 60,000 unless you're playing episode 4. Trudging through desert takes almost as long, too.

phurion
May 11, 2013, 09:48 AM
This game hasn't been out for that long. It will inevitably get easier to level, as the level cap rises. I had 4 maxed characters on PSU, and it was hard as nails to hit level 60 when that game came out. By the time the servers closed, you could make it to 180 over the course of a weekend.

Alex305!
May 11, 2013, 10:03 AM
You thought grinding for levels was bad?

Try grinding for rare weapons

This. The drops are calculated with a 12 person MPA in mind. With manipulation you can increase your chances for rares for every person in the party. If there was a team MPA and they called drops like in old school PSO days plus drop boosts the drops can be a little sensible. I don't know if the Japanese do this. However it is possible but since everybody gets their own drops I think they lowered the drop rates for common weaponry.

So,An average drop in pso for a decent rare was around 1/1000 and for bosses was around 1/50ish that's .001 and .02 respectively. Now factor in all of the changes and additions I mentioned (I wish I knew by how much) but playing pso for a long time it "feels" like most of the drops sit around 1/12k and for bosses 1/6k. Seeing this I laugh at most people that wear lucky rise stuff unless its cumulative with other drop boosts. I don't know for sure but even the most standard 10 star has very steep drop rates.

Maybe I'm just rambling on but I feel like many don't understand how stupid the drops are and I feel like I'm pigeon holed into weapon passes and the auction to gear up. I feel like they systematically made it impossible to just hunt rares unless you jump through a lot of hoops to do so. My best friend had a wake up call when I told him about PSO drops...Coming from wow where the rare drops were 0.01 which is a measly 1/100.

DreXxiN
May 11, 2013, 01:24 PM
Off topic:

Hey, man. Not entirely sure if you've found something already, but we kind of sound like what you are looking for. You can check out our "About Us" page for a bit of our philosophy, (http://theroyalz.shivtr.com/pages/aboutus) though the primary purpose of that was for TERA.

Check out "The Royalz", Suzaku is the guild leader and streams all the time, he'll hit you up. We have a VOIP as well.

moeri
May 11, 2013, 01:57 PM
I haven't played in a few months because of a lack of friends/leveling requirements in game. In order to not end up like me...

The main thing you need to make sure you do is get into MPAs. The game seems like it just assumes you are always in a MPA.

This game is also very social, so get to know people too. It is a great game, but I do not think playing it solo is the best of ideas.

Jakosifer
May 11, 2013, 02:07 PM
Lol, there ain't anybody worth knowing.

Husq
May 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
I haven't played in a few months because of a lack of friends/leveling requirements in game. In order to not end up like me...

The main thing you need to make sure you do is get into MPAs. The game seems like it just assumes you are always in a MPA.

This game is also very social, so get to know people too. It is a great game, but I do not think playing it solo is the best of ideas.

Hmmm, that was true before AQs were introduced and the level cap still 50.
Currently if you manage to get close to level 55, AQ is the best way to level up, besides gathering useful items to sell.
So for the time being, having a team or a pool of friends is actually a faster way to farm items and level up. Of course this will change if the next difficult mode gets released.

jerrykun
May 12, 2013, 04:30 PM
If you don't like grinding, don't play these kind of games, it doesn't make sense playing a game like this if you don't enjoy leveling...

MetalDude
May 12, 2013, 04:54 PM
Except the OP pointed out that he played games that had a good deal of grinding so yeah, reading comprehension is good.